Author Topic: Sub lost visiting the Titanic.  (Read 27937 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sub lost visiting the Titanic.
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2023, 05:34:10 pm »
This may already have been answered previously but I don't understand why there is so much uncertainty about the subs location. Surely they must have known its location at the point they lost contact with it and you could make some accurate predictions about it's subsequent location from that? Lots of people saying 'it may be caught up in the wreckage' - surely they would have known if it was already at the wreckage site before losing contact?
From what I've seen, the sub would send texts to the 'mothership' for directions the wreck.

Also another expert was saying even the slightest of scratches or bumps at those pressure can compromise the integrity of the vessel and cause an implosion.

I read that there are 5 failsafe measures intended to bring it back to the surface which includes the ballasts being dropped and a balloon which inflates.

If its not on the surface then its very likely it suffered catastrophic damage.

Eerily fascinating about any footage filmed by those on board. I did not think about that

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2023, 05:51:45 pm »
Do we know if this vessel has done this before ?

Apparently this was its third dive to the titanic, the other 2 were 2021 and 2022. On its website it had 18 more dives planned to the titanic.

Are there other companies doing these titanic viewings? Just curious.

Yep! Not sure if people can pay to go on them, or if they’re research dives. James Cameron, the Hollywood director, has made dozens of deep sea dives, many to the titanic. His deepest was to the Mariana Trench which is about 7 miles down  :o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 05:55:54 pm by jonnypb »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2023, 05:58:07 pm »
A friend and colleague of the pilot thinks water has entered and the sub has imploded, given the sudden loss of contact.

And I learned today that Americans pronounce bouys as "boo-ees" not "boys".  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 06:01:09 pm by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2023, 06:03:30 pm »
Apparently this was its third dive to the titanic, the other 2 were 2021 and 2022. On its website it had 18 more dives planned to the titanic.

Yep! Not sure if people can pay to go on them, or if they’re research dives. James Cameron, the Hollywood director, has made dozens of deep sea dives, many to the titanic. His deepest was to the Mariana Trench which is about 7 miles down  :o

Just reading about that Mariana Tench, if you put Mount Everest at the deepest level of the Mariana Tench [an area known as Challenger Deep] Mount Everest would still be underwater by 1.2 miles. :o
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2023, 06:06:12 pm »
I hope this puts an end to "Titanic Tourism", if nothing else.

If the sub imploded, it's debris would be almost indistinguishable from Titanic's wreckage without a visual inspection. The higher up it imploded, the more dispersed the wreckage would be :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2023, 06:08:34 pm »

I think Cameron has a legit interest/fascination with the deep ocean. I don't think he goes down just to gawk - he probably helps raise publicity and funding for organisations doing scientific research. I could be wrong though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2023, 06:08:49 pm »
A friend and colleague of the pilot thinks water has entered and the sub has imploded, given the sudden loss of contact.

How does the science around that work? So if a little bit of water gets in does it mean the pressure gets in and crushes them?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2023, 06:11:31 pm »
How does the science around that work? So if a little bit of water gets in does it mean the pressure gets in and crushes them?

Best guess is a leak could lead to a catastrophic failure of the pressure vessel. All I have to go on is that scene in Raise the Titanic and The Abyss though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2023, 06:12:18 pm »

Yeah, water entering means it's been breached. The pressure down there is immense, so it would be extremely quick, pretty much instant, at least.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2023, 06:19:40 pm »
I think Cameron has a legit interest/fascination with the deep ocean. I don't think he goes down just to gawk - he probably helps raise publicity and funding for organisations doing scientific research. I could be wrong though.

Yeah he’s got a fascination for it and does a lot of scientific and deep ocean research.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2023, 06:22:26 pm »

Fill a bottle of water to the brim. Screw on the top, then squeeze the sides. Notice it buckles. Now, poke a hole in the one side and squeeze again, water rushes out. Same theory except the water is on the outside and the air in on the inside.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2023, 06:35:52 pm »
Just reading about that Mariana Tench, if you put Mount Everest at the deepest level of the Mariana Tench [an area known as Challenger Deep] Mount Everest would still be underwater by 1.2 miles. :o

I learnt from my daughter recently that although Everest is the highest point in/above earth this is a taller ‘mountain’ somewhere near Hawaii, it’s just that the majority of it is underwater.

She could be talking bollocks obviously.

Offline Nogg3000

• Main Stander
  • Come get some!
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2023, 06:41:46 pm »
Yeah he’s got a fascination for it and does a lot of scientific and deep ocean research.

He built his own 1 man sub to go down in to the challenger deep, think the documentary was on Netflix or Amazon. Pretty interesting. Think he was also bolted in to it if iirc.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2023, 06:42:20 pm »
Best guess is a leak could lead to a catastrophic failure of the pressure vessel. All I have to go on is that scene in Raise the Titanic and The Abyss though.

Ah yeah i remember that scene from The Abyss.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2023, 06:49:06 pm »
He built his own 1 man sub to go down in to the challenger deep, think the documentary was on Netflix or Amazon. Pretty interesting. Think he was also bolted in to it if iirc.

That's fair enough. He likely got proper people in to design and build it, and he was only risking his own ass.

Popcorn's Art

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2023, 07:07:37 pm »
Can't believe this thing doesn't have a transponder or signaling device of some kind? The CEO is a billionaire.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2023, 07:09:18 pm »
I learnt from my daughter recently that although Everest is the highest point in/above earth this is a taller ‘mountain’ somewhere near Hawaii, it’s just that the majority of it is underwater.

She's right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauna_Kea?wprov=sfla1
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2023, 07:35:09 pm »
Took 73 years to find the Titanic, expecting to find something a fraction the size in 4 days is a little optimistic.

Offline Juan Kerr

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2023, 08:03:23 pm »

Seeing as she's you're daughter i'd say there's a good chance its the latter.  ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2023, 08:08:08 pm »
I hope this puts an end to "Titanic Tourism", if nothing else...
I have to agree there. I couldn't believe it when I heard they were doing tourist trips to the wreck. It's a grave, for goodness sake. It feels wrong to me.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2023, 08:11:12 pm »
I have to agree there. I couldn't believe it when I heard they were doing tourist trips to the wreck. It's a grave, for goodness sake. It feels wrong to me.

Just went to the ocean gate website that advertises their expeditions and the Titanic one has a video which ends with some bloke saying the more publicity these expeditions get the more there will be a battle to get a seat in one of those things.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2023, 08:12:19 pm »
I really hope they get out of this alive obviously. But if they do not, the CEO of this mission will die face-to-face with a man who is with his 19-year old son.

The man who took his son on that trip is a bigger dickhead than the CEO imo, he knew that it was damaged on the last dive and still signed away their lives.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Kill the humourless

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2023, 08:23:19 pm »
The lowest depth recorded for a submarine rescue is 1,575ft back in 1973

An amazing story worthy of a film
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Roger_Mallinson_and_Roger_Chapman

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2023, 08:30:48 pm »
Surprised musk hasn’t offered to help yet.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2023, 08:32:35 pm »
Surprised musk hasn’t offered to help yet.

How can he help though ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2023, 08:34:00 pm »
How can he help though ?

Shoot a rocket downwards.

Offline Juan Kerr

• Main Stander
Re: Sub lost visiting the Titanic. Billionaires at risk.
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2023, 08:34:11 pm »
I can't speak for other people. I became fascinated with the Titanic over 40 years ago, before it had even been discovered. And there have been other films other than Cameron's piece of soap opera guff.

Me neither, but I live in hope.
You'd love to live and work where i do then.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2023, 08:38:49 pm »
How can he help though ?

You’re missing the point entirely.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2023, 08:45:45 pm »
How can he help though ?

Whethe he can or can't actually help in any way whatsoever will have no bearing at all on whether he decides to try and offer it.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2023, 09:00:54 pm »
I can't speak for other people. I became fascinated with the Titanic over 40 years ago, before it had even been discovered. And there have been other films other than Cameron's piece of soap opera guff.

Me neither, but I live in hope.

Thought it was a well told story, and decent film myself.  Was never going to be a documentary.

Won 11 Oscars, so I'm not on my own.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2023, 09:10:33 pm »
Didn't wanna chip in on this but here I am now

The Americans not accepting help from certain companies is mental, reminds me a lot of the Kursk incident where the Russian denied everything until it was way too late and it was perfectly feasible to rescue them.

There are a few bad takes on this thread, so as someone who works in the industry, let me address them:

1. People saying it is simple and blah blah, simple is good in these sort of vehicles, less things to go wrong.

2. The controller is common in DSV/UROV's and even Submarines, I have seen PS4 controllers used and XBOX ones also, same as USAF use for their drones. It is a simple, mass produced set of switches which is intuitive, it makes a lot of sense and you can have lots of spares.

3. The safety systems. There seemingly are none, this is the main flaw for me, it's proper amateur hour, the main thing is the lack of cameras on arms, you need a 3rd person view of your surroundings to properly navigate them, using one or two close to body cameras is super dangerous in a ROV let alone a DSV with crew.

I would hypothesise that they are stuck under something, why? Well the DSV will have water fuses, if it remains in water for too long, they pop, drop the ballasts and deploy the balloon to bring it to the surface safely and automatically. Clearly that has not happened so I would say it must be stuck under wreckage they got too close to or something otherwise the fuses failed or whatever but it is simple tried and tested tech... very odd!!
Thanks for the insight. I get what you mean about a more simple craft having less potential faults, but shouldn’t the driver still have as much control available to them as possible? The use of touchscreens too - if the touchscreen fails, you’re surely losing multiple instruments/tools?

I had a quick watch of the Take me to Titanic documentary that liverbloke mentioned, it’s on iPlayer. The sub goes one two dives in the episode and there’s a significant fault on both occasions. Also a bit of an eye-opener - there are people out there who are absolutely obsessed with the Titanic.

Interestingly they were able to exchange messages with the mother ship from the seabed to troubleshoot the issue.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 09:13:58 pm by Clint Eastwood »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2023, 09:27:33 pm »
Can't believe this thing doesn't have a transponder or signaling device of some kind? The CEO is a billionaire.

I don’t think it’s that straight forward when it comes to the bottom of the ocean, that signals have trouble travelling in that depth of water, think about things like MH370, that had a black box and all of that pinging away for 30 days and they never found it.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2023, 09:31:23 pm »
I don’t think it’s that straight forward when it comes to the bottom of the ocean, that signals have trouble travelling in that depth of water, think about things like MH370, that had a black box and all of that pinging away for 30 days and they never found it.

Difference being that we know exactly where the Titanic is situated.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2023, 09:31:58 pm »
Thought it was a well told story, and decent film myself.  Was never going to be a documentary.

I'll stick with A Night to Remember thanks. There are enough true stories of the Titanic's passengers and crew that I don't need some made up bs cliché love story. I don't give a toss how many Oscars it won. A Colour Purple didn't win any - doesn't make it a bad film, any more than winning 11 Oscars makes Titanic a good film.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2023, 09:34:56 pm »

I'll stick with A Night to Remember thanks. There are enough true stories of the Titanic's passengers and crew that I don't need some made up bs cliché love story. I don't give a toss how many Oscars it won. A Colour Purple didn't win any - doesn't make it a bad film, any more than winning 11 Oscars makes Titanic a good film.

I think one of those wins for Titanic was for Best Song. Should have been Miss Misery.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2023, 09:43:14 pm »
Didn't wanna chip in on this but here I am now

The Americans not accepting help from certain companies is mental, reminds me a lot of the Kursk incident where the Russian denied everything until it was way too late and it was perfectly feasible to rescue them.

There are a few bad takes on this thread, so as someone who works in the industry, let me address them:

1. People saying it is simple and blah blah, simple is good in these sort of vehicles, less things to go wrong.

2. The controller is common in DSV/UROV's and even Submarines, I have seen PS4 controllers used and XBOX ones also, same as USAF use for their drones. It is a simple, mass produced set of switches which is intuitive, it makes a lot of sense and you can have lots of spares.

3. The safety systems. There seemingly are none, this is the main flaw for me, it's proper amateur hour, the main thing is the lack of cameras on arms, you need a 3rd person view of your surroundings to properly navigate them, using one or two close to body cameras is super dangerous in a ROV let alone a DSV with crew.

I would hypothesise that they are stuck under something, why? Well the DSV will have water fuses, if it remains in water for too long, they pop, drop the ballasts and deploy the balloon to bring it to the surface safely and automatically. Clearly that has not happened so I would say it must be stuck under wreckage they got too close to or something otherwise the fuses failed or whatever but it is simple tried and tested tech... very odd!!

I remember Robert Ballard in his Titanic book talking about the one golden rule of piloting a submersible: never go under an overhang, especially a man made one.

I don't know much about submersibles, but I know a fair bit about the Titanic, and the wreck. The only places where a DSV could get caught like this is either the bow or stern. It may be caught under the overhang of the stern by the rudder and propellers, or perhaps landed on the ship by the grand staircase at the bow, but misjudged the ballast, causing the roof to collapse and for the sub to fall into the bowels of the ship.

I would imagine DSVs would descend to the wreck site safely away either bow or stern, and then be guided to them. Perhaps once they were there, the pilot decided to show off to their prospective client at the wreck site, and took a stupid risk? 

And one other thing, major malfunctions on DSV's aren't unheard of. During Alvin's visit to the wreck site back in 1986, the sub's onboard sonar went offline more than once, and at least twice seawater got into the batteries and started a short, causing the dives to be cut short. They still made it to the bottom, but could only stay briefly.

That's on a sub considered top of the line for it's kind of work, with all the expertise, engineering and money the US Navy cared to put its way. I doubt this private company has anything like those resources.

Popcorn's Art

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2023, 09:56:07 pm »

A night to Remember is far  superior.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2023, 09:58:37 pm »
Difference being that we know exactly where the Titanic is situated.

LOL that’s a very good point!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.