Author Topic: Labour Thread * No Gaza *  (Read 102870 times)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
He was being antagonistic, and you are reducing what for many is a major thing in their life to a pet obsession.

I doubt Rowling pays tax at a higher '%rate than I do.
"Many on the left". I did not write "many transsexuals". I'll thank you for not reframing my words to refer to something I did not write.
Isn't that the whole point of her letter? She thinks she should do.
Precisely. But for many on the left, they will instead focus upon their pet obsession, to the detriment of the larger picture. Kenny's post rather proves Sangria's point, does it not!? (Rhetorical question.)

@Kenny - I am not meaning to have a go at you. But agree with Sangria's point or not, his point was reasonably made. When someone (Rowling) agrees with your point of view, don't go on trash them - blowing over their point - because of something where you disagree with them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 02:23:29 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Its not Rpwlings opinion on tax Im struggloing with. Its Sangria's  point  that people cant criticise those who dont evade tax that Im struggling with

Perhaps he should have just said I agree with Rowlings gender critical critical views.

I didn't think he was saying that Kenny. I thought he was saying that JK Rowling had a firmer grasp of what it was like to be on the political Left than her critics did. That's true, isn't it?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
Isn't that the whole point of her letter? She thinks she should do.

Someone who pays all the taxes she's supposed to, unlike most people at that level of wealth, and thinks she should pay more, unlike most people at that level of wealth, and there's a group of righteous who want everyone to boycott everything to do with her.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Its not Rpwlings opinion on tax Im struggloing with. Its Sangria's  point  that people cant criticise those who dont evade tax that Im struggling with

Perhaps he should have just said I agree with Rowlings gender critical critical views.

I have no idea where to stand on gender critical issues, not understanding it myself. But I do appreciate those of the rich who pay everything they're supposed to, when so many don't, especially when they want to pay more.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
I didn't think he was saying that Kenny. I thought he was saying that JK Rowling had a firmer grasp of what it was like to be on the political Left than her critics did. That's true, isn't it?

I'd say that I'm firmly on the economic left, and care about economic issues. I'd say that I'm on the liberal left too, but that takes a distant back seat to economics. When someone conforms wholeheartedly to the economic left, but some on the liberal left say she's a non-person, which takes priority in the view of those who consider themselves on the left? It's a question that I've answered above. Would anyone else answer it too?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"Many on the left". I did not write "many transsexuals". I'll tank you for not reframing my words to refer to something I did not write.Precisely. But for many on the left, they will instead focus upon their pet obsession, to the detriment of the larger picture. Kenny's post rather proves Sangria's point, does it not!? (Rhetorical question.)

@Kenny - I am not meaning to have a go at you. But agree with Sangria's point or not, his point was reasonably made. When someone (Rowling) agrees with your point of view, don't go on trash them - blowing over their point - because of something where you disagree with them.

His point was poorly made as it suggests anyone who doesnt evade tax should not be criticised
Hypocritically  Sangria will have criticised people who dont evade tax and do want to see an increase in tax.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
I'd say that I'm firmly on the economic left, and care about economic issues. I'd say that I'm on the liberal left too, but that takes a distant back seat to economics. When someone conforms wholeheartedly to the economic left, but some on the liberal left say she's a non-person, which takes priority in the view of those who consider themselves on the left? It's a question that I've answered above. Would anyone else answer it too?

Labour should be on the Left on both economics and culture. Indeed one of the best ways of reconciling working-class cultural conservatives to necessary and just cultural change is to redistribute economically. Give people their economic just desserts and they tend to overlook - even embrace - the cultural changes you think are important too. It's happened in the past (over race issues and feminism) and it will happen in the future.

The problem with 'culture-warriors' (such as those people who give grief to JKR and others) is that they seem obsessed by their cause - always on the look out for heretics and people who don't quite measure up. It's very off-putting to normal people. It also seems as if their priorities are a bit skew-iff.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan

His point was poorly made as it suggests anyone who doesnt evade tax should not be criticised
Hypocritically  Sangria will have criticised people who dont evade tax and do want to see an increase in tax.

I've read your second sentence five times now Kenny and I have no idea what it means.

Which makes me think that your first sentence is probably not fair.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

No one is perfect and some things do feel like 'whataboutery'

Person X says "This person has done A, which is great"

Person Y comes along and says "This person has done B, which isn't great"

That might or might not be true, but what has it got to do with the price of fish. If you're talking about, say, tax and someone mentions something about tax (Positive or negative) then it seems reasonable to respond to or answer the point that was made on the subject.

It's also a reasonable thing for him to opine I feel as 'non-mainstream' things that some people may or may not believe are foisted into conversations which aren't as important (or important at all to them) then it doesn't offer anything useful.

That isn't to say a debate isn't to be had or that it's not important to some people - I took it to mean that it's not important if it's not relevant to that discussion. Quite often it derails the threads and offers nothing to what was said.

Just my 50p worth :)

I don't mind Rowling myself. She's entitled to her views (Which, from what I've read aren't bonkers and have been wildly mis-represented) - it's a free country and just because someone thinks something or other, should they be hounded to death?

I've got my own views on shit, and if someone wants to persuade me otherwise then fair enough, otherwise fuck off. :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan

No one is perfect and some things do feel like 'whataboutery'

Person X says "This person has done A, which is great"

Person Y comes along and says "This person has done B, which isn't great"

That might or might not be true, but what has it got to do with the price of fish. If you're talking about, say, tax and someone mentions something about tax (Positive or negative) then it seems reasonable to respond to or answer the point that was made on the subject.

It's also a reasonable thing for him to opine I feel as 'non-mainstream' things that some people may or may not believe are foisted into conversations which aren't as important (or important at all to them) then it doesn't offer anything useful.

That isn't to say a debate isn't to be had or that it's not important to some people - I took it to mean that it's not important if it's not relevant to that discussion. Quite often it derails the threads and offers nothing to what was said.

Just my 50p worth :)

I don't mind Rowling myself. She's entitled to her views (Which, from what I've read aren't bonkers and have been wildly mis-represented) - it's a free country and just because someone thinks something or other, should they be hounded to death?

I've got my own views on shit, and if someone wants to persuade me otherwise then fair enough, otherwise fuck off. :)

I have one firm view that I absolutely will not budge on. People should pay their taxes.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've read your second sentence five times now Kenny and I have no idea what it means.

Which makes me think that your first sentence is probably not fair.

If you have no idea what it means, how can you draw a conclusion on the 1st sentence?

Lets try again
I can guarantee that Sangria will have previously criticised someone who doesnt avoid tax and wants an increase in tax .

It is this he is criticising "the left" for.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
If you have no idea what it means, how can you draw a conclusion on the 1st sentence?

The fogginess of your writing suggests the original problem might have been your own comprehension of what Sangria said rather than...what he said.

But, I'll admit, that doesn't necessarily follow. Unclear writers can sometimes be accurate readers.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Lets try again
I can guarantee that Sangria will have previously criticised someone who doesnt avoid tax and wants an increase in tax .

It is this he is criticising "the left" for.

Not sure she is getting hounded and death threats from 'the left' is she?

If she is, then 'the left' are bigger wankers than I thought.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The fogginess of your writing suggests the original problem might have been your own comprehension of what Sangria said rather than...what he said.

But, I'll admit, that doesn't necessarily follow. Unclear writers can sometimes be accurate readers.

I probably cant be arsed with this tangent, but where was the fogginess?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
I probably cant be arsed with this tangent, but where was the fogginess?

Now you've told me what it means I can sort of 'get' it. But deprived of the explanation I found it a bit foggy.

It still misses the point of course. Sangria wasn't saying that people who advocate higher taxes are exempt from political criticism. He was saying what he often says. That economic redistribution should be more important to the Left than political correctness. Nobby says it too, who is coming from a different direction altogether.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Well this thread certainly took an unexpected direction  :D

I get there is a general discussion to be had on the balance of interests of the economic left with the "cultural left", but I thought JK Rowling was an odd direction to go. Nice to see any discussion of a wealth tax get sidelined in the process.

Why are they even putting forward the alternative tax rises over 5 yrs to raise £250 bill as a option, it's not a option as the public cant afford to pay far higher taxes , how will the economy react if people have even less money to spend???  and even if they could afford some of those tax rises then this would only confirm the shit the Torys throw at Labour over wanting to tax and spend our way out of trouble, introduce  those alternative suggestions and the Torys would be over the moon as Labour would be shown the door at the following election.
Rule out higher taxes for the man in the street.
The Wealth Tax looks good and it will help but £10 bill is sod all in the grand scheme of things.

The five year 1% wealth tax is put forward for people with an individual wealth of £500,000 (potential to raise £250 billion) or £2 million (Potential to raise £80 billion). "Individual" would mean a couple would need to have a combined wealth of over £1 million in the first instance to be eligible, or else £4 million in the second.

I believe the examples of other taxes have been put in there to demonstrate the effectiveness of a wealth tax, as opposed to far more drastic and unpopular taxes on the general public that would raise the same amount. The commission is definitely not suggesting these other examples as a good idea, they are merely illustrative.

As for the commission itself, it was raised in the immediate aftermath of Covid and includes an international network of 50 tax experts.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 02:24:38 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
I get there is a general discussion to be had on the balance of interests of the economic left with the "cultural left", but I thought JK Rowling was an odd direction to go. Nice to see any discussion of a wealth tax get sidelined in the process.
Oddly enough on Monday next week it will be 100 years since the first-ever Labour government took office with Ramsay Macdonald as Labour's first PM. The most famous item in its manifesto was 'The Capital Levy' - a tax on wealth that Labour said would help to pay off the war debt, reflate the dying economy, and relieve the poor of the unfair burden of taxation. The party lacked a majority in the Commons and therefore the Capital Levy never found its way into the budget. And of course the Tory party - and its rich pals who owned the press - howled the idea down. Better to immiserate the population and have their kids on the edge of starvation than touch a rich man's wealth.

Labour should try again.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Now you've told me what it means I can sort of 'get' it. But deprived of the explanation I found it a bit foggy.

It still misses the point of course. Sangria wasn't saying that people who advocate higher taxes are exempt from political criticism. He was saying what he often says. That economic redistribution should be more important to the Left than political correctness. Nobby says it too, who is coming from a different direction altogether.

Sangria is lucky he has you fighting his battles.

If Sangria thinks Tax is so important why  in 2019 did he refuse to vote for a party that wanted to increate tax and close loopholes. 

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Oddly enough on Monday next week it will be 100 years since the first-ever Labour government took office with Ramsay Macdonald as Labour's first PM. The most famous item in its manifesto was 'The Capital Levy' - a tax on wealth that Labour said would help to pay off the war debt, reflate the dying economy, and relieve the poor of the unfair burden of taxation. The party lacked a majority in the Commons and therefore the Capital Levy never found its way into the budget. And of course the Tory party - and its rich pals who owned the press - howled the idea down. Better to immiserate the population and have their kids on the edge of starvation than touch a rich man's wealth.

Labour should try again.

Interesting! Some things never change....

Still, I'm hoping Starmer isn't scaring himself stiff with thoughts of the MacDonald government. If Labour do win a (likely looking) majority, I'd say this is as good an oppurtunity as we'll get to bring the idea of redistribution back into the political mainstream. At the very least, with a little bit of backbone it's a very practical and achievable way to try and repair the damage to our public services.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

If Sangria thinks Tax is so important why  in 2019 did he refuse to vote for a party that wanted to increate tax and close loopholes. 

That is an interesting question.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Still, I'm hoping Starmer isn't scaring himself stiff with thoughts of the MacDonald government. If Labour do win a (likely looking) majority, I'd say this is as good an oppurtunity as we'll get to bring the idea of redistribution back into the political mainstream. At the very least, with a little bit of backbone it's a very practical and achievable way to try and repair the damage to our public services.

If Labour can look at that and tie in strict new laws about media lies and holding journos and editors and owners to account for each and every mistruth, then I think that could have a chance of turning the country around.

The problem is that most of the country is too thick/too un-arsed and too set in their views to bother fact-checking anything ever. So when the screeching rich whine about losing 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of their wealth in tax as 'destroying the country' then they can be banged up for lying as well as being forced to pay what they owe.

Win. Win.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan

Still, I'm hoping Starmer isn't scaring himself stiff with thoughts of the MacDonald government. If Labour do win a (likely looking) majority, I'd say this is as good an oppurtunity as we'll get to bring the idea of redistribution back into the political mainstream.

I hope so too.

A full comparison with 1924 would require a book. But boiling things down drastically one might say that Starmer will have two big advantages that MacDonald didn't have, and one big disadvantage.

The two advantages are (1) He will have a working majority (2) He will have a political establishment that is not actively working to undermine him. Whitehall and the Treasury will be friendlier to Labour than they were a hundred years ago. The army won't be as hostile and even the intelligence services are more progressive than they used to be (no 'Zinoviev Letter' this time!).

The disadvantage is that Starmer's Labour Party will not have much of an organised working class behind him, as MacDonald (broadly) did. The industries that supported that class have gone and trade unionism in what is left of manufacturing and mining (is there even any?) is negligible. That means that Starmer will not have the (huge) comfort of knowing that there is considerable and automatic good will for him from a large segment of society. He'll have cynics 'supporting' him instead.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
I reckon Jeremy Corbyn pays his taxes.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I hope so too.

A full comparison with 1924 would require a book. But boiling things down drastically one might say that Starmer will have two big advantages that MacDonald didn't have, and one big disadvantage.

The two advantages are (1) He will have a working majority (2) He will have a political establishment that is not actively working to undermine him. Whitehall and the Treasury will be friendlier to Labour than they were a hundred years ago. The army won't be as hostile and even the intelligence services are more progressive than they used to be (no 'Zinoviev Letter' this time!).

The disadvantage is that Starmer's Labour Party will not have much of an organised working class behind him, as MacDonald (broadly) did. The industries that supported that class have gone and trade unionism in what is left of manufacturing and mining (is there even any?) is negligible. That means that Starmer will not have the (huge) comfort of knowing that there is considerable and automatic good will for him from a large segment of society. He'll have cynics 'supporting' him instead.

https://www.hauspublishing.com/product/the-men-of-1924/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

He's minted, innit.

But yes, I would very much think he would. I'd expect that most Labour MPs do (But not all) and that the vast majority of Tory MPs don't.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
Re: Labour Thread. Let's pull together and push the Tories back into the sea!
« Reply #1305 on: January 17, 2024, 03:10:52 pm »
What's the French equivalent of "Fuck the Tories"?

Fuck le Tories

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I reckon he wants to increase tax too,

-

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
The classics are the best:

Richard Lyman, The First Labour Government.

I'll have a look out for that cheers mate.

Been doing tons of political reading at the moment.

I'm up to between Tufty and Jemimha level-grade now :D

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
I'll have a look out for that cheers mate.

Been doing tons of political reading at the moment.

I'm up to between Tufty and Jemimha level-grade now :D

You can get it on abebooks for £12. A bargain.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #1311 on: January 17, 2024, 03:19:22 pm »
Enculer Tories?

Any abuse for tories works for me Kenny.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1312 on: January 17, 2024, 03:23:10 pm »
Any abuse for tories works for me Kenny.

I just wanted to show off my very limited French. Hope you were impressed

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I just wanted to show off my very limited French. Hope you were impressed

Les conservateurs sentent le fond des éléphants et leur discours sort de puanteur d'une combinaison de haddock pourrie de dix semaines, de chaussettes malodorantes et de conneries.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Les conservateurs sentent le fond des éléphants et leur discours sort de puanteur d'une combinaison de haddock pourrie de dix semaines, de chaussettes malodorantes et de conneries.

:lmao

You're basically a poet, but only in French

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan

Partly because my parents' carers told me they were going back to their home countries because they felt unwelcome here, and I valued my parents more than I did myself.

But mainly because I'd moved to a constituency where the Lib Dems were the main contestants to the Tories. You know what, I'll vote Lib Dem in the next general election too.

Here's one more quote for you to copy and paste as a future Gotcha!: "I will not vote Labour again until I live in a constituency where they are the most likely to displace the Tory".
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Partly because my parents' carers told me they were going back to their home countries because they felt unwelcome here, and I valued my parents more than I did myself.

But mainly because I'd moved to a constituency where the Lib Dems were the main contestants to the Tories. You know what, I'll vote Lib Dem in the next general election too.

Here's one more quote for you to copy and paste as a future Gotcha!: "I will not vote Labour again until I live in a constituency where they are the most likely to displace the Tory".

You previously gave Brexit as the reason

As for your quote in this post, its very different to the one you made in the Eric Blair thread.

I hope the carers feel safer under Braverman, Patel, Jenrick and Guillis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
You previously gave Brexit as the reason

As for your quote in this post, its very different to the one you made in the Eric Blair thread.

I hope the carers feel safer under Braverman, Patel, Jenrick and Guillis

Someone voting libdem in an area where the Libdems kept out the Tories couldn't really do any more to oppose them could they?

If they had all voted Labour and the Tories went through on a landslide, how would that have helped?

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Someone voting libdem in an area where the Libdems kept out the Tories couldn't really do any more to oppose them could they?

If they had all voted Labour and the Tories went through on a landslide, how would that have helped?

I agree Andy, GTTO, however Ive seen Sangria give various reasons why he didnt vote Labour and thats his prerogative, but it was the only way of getting those vital tax issues sorted which  he holds in such high regard.

Im sure the care workers he was concerned about would be better under Labour

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 04:10:10 pm by Kenny's Jacket »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I agree Andy, GTTO, however Ive seen Sangria give various reasons why he didnt vote Labour and thats his prerogative, but it was the only way of getting those vital tax issues sorted which  he holds in such high regard.

Im sure the care workers he was concerned about would be better under Labour

So we can agree that Billionaires paying more tax is a good thing and that Jeremy Corbyn looks like how a genteel whelk would look like with glasses, a nice tweed suit and a jolly set of teeth?

:)