Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 374576 times)

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2006, 08:09:42 pm »
Definitely a good price I'd say

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: December 21, 2006, 04:58:43 am »
play.com are doing the Panasonic 42" TH42PX60 plasma tv in a sale at £899.99 delivered - with a pedestal stand:-

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/1124865/Panasonic_42_TH42PX60_Freeview_HD_Ready_Plasma_TV_With_Pedestal_Stand/Product.html

a good price?

Personally,I'd spend the extra £150 and get the 5 years guarantee.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~PAN-TH42PX60PED.htm
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #402 on: December 21, 2006, 08:41:44 am »
On a side topic, how does one remove the fingerprints some little brat may or may not have left on the screen of a PX60?

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: December 21, 2006, 02:13:25 pm »
On a side topic, how does one remove the fingerprints some little brat may or may not have left on the screen of a PX60?

get yourself one of these,cheap as chips but the best thing I've used for flat panels.

here
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #404 on: December 21, 2006, 09:33:45 pm »
get yourself one of these,cheap as chips but the best thing I've used for flat panels.

here

Nice one Keith  :)

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #405 on: December 22, 2006, 03:20:28 pm »
cheers Keith - certainly worth the extra for peace of mind  :)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #406 on: December 22, 2006, 03:51:15 pm »
Also, remove the fingers of the suspected brats. No fingers, no finger prints.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: December 24, 2006, 12:55:07 pm »
Here's a nice advert for the Panny Viera.

http://www.hedidnotseethatcoming.com/index.php

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: December 24, 2006, 01:11:15 pm »
Another thing I found out about the PX60 is that it will accept a 1080p signal through HDMI,as I have it running at this on my HD Mediabox.The manual and tech specs says it will take upto 1080i,but 1080p is there as well.

It won't accept it through component though.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: December 26, 2006, 12:39:14 pm »
42PX60 is now at £870 online with Currys/Dixons, if real world prices are similar its a handy price match for John Lewis, only £1,020 with the stand as well

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: December 27, 2006, 12:13:31 am »
Was seriously thinking about finally getting the 42PX60 but the unresolved issues of the infamous "purple snakes", ooo errr missus, have put me off for now

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: December 27, 2006, 10:14:33 am »
Was seriously thinking about finally getting the 42PX60 but the unresolved issues of the infamous "purple snakes", ooo errr missus, have put me off for now

They would put me off if I could see them.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: December 27, 2006, 11:37:27 am »
From avforums its hard to see how many are actually affected by the problem and but also worrying that some seem to think the problem is worsening on affected sets, anyway givne the lack of certainty about a fix yet I'll hold fire for now

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: December 27, 2006, 11:44:46 am »
From avforums its hard to see how many are actually affected by the problem and but also worrying that some seem to think the problem is worsening on affected sets, anyway givne the lack of certainty about a fix yet I'll hold fire for now

It's like anything else.

The people affected will always post a comment,others who aren't don't bother.

There is a poll and there are considerably more people who don't seem to be affected than those that are,and I would presume most who have the problem has voted whereas those that don't probably haven't even seen the poll.

Not something I'm worried about to be honest as I have never seen it.

Makes me laugh though,when people are actually going out of their way to find a problem that will gnaw away at them throughout their viewing.

Thing is Filo,at this rate you'll never buy a new one,because the perfect TV isn't out there,and that includes CRT's.Even the Pioneer's have faults/problems posted on there and I don't even look into the LCD section and I would hate to see how many complaints are on that forum and that would only be the problems that are native to LCD's ie noise,poor blacks,ghosting etc never specific problems to the TV itself.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: December 27, 2006, 04:14:19 pm »
Well to be honest I'm not blown away by Sky HD yet at the price Sky are charging, I've no interest in HD DVD or BR at hte moment so all I'd be using it for is High def downloads, so for now I can afford to sit tight, given I'm lucky enough with my CRT giving good geometry and at 36" its not tiny.

I will go down the HD path but when is another matter ;)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: December 27, 2006, 05:23:37 pm »

Probably about 6 months after the technology is surpassed.  ;)

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #416 on: December 27, 2006, 05:29:33 pm »

Ye i'm with you on that. The prices are too expensive. A TV is a TV at the end of the day. Ok so it would be good quality but i'm never going to spend 700+ on a TV. Even if i did have the money spare i probably still wouldn't. My dad bought a standard CRT tv the other day for 80 quid and the quality is so clear and crisp. I think theres still a few years left in the old classic CRTs :P
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: December 27, 2006, 05:43:19 pm »
Ye i'm with you on that. The prices are too expensive. A TV is a TV at the end of the day. Ok so it would be good quality but i'm never going to spend 700+ on a TV. Even if i did have the money spare i probably still wouldn't. My dad bought a standard CRT tv the other day for 80 quid and the quality is so clear and crisp. I think theres still a few years left in the old classic CRTs :P

Tight twat.  ;)

It's funny though when you think of it.

Nobody would question anyone's judgement or priorities if they spent £5000 on a car,yet come to something that in most households is used more than anything and by the most people,a fifth of that figure is too much to spend.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #418 on: December 27, 2006, 06:01:07 pm »
Tight twat.  ;)

It's funny though when you think of it.

Nobody would question anyone's judgement or priorities if they spent £5000 on a car,yet come to something that in most households is used more than anything and by the most people,a fifth of that figure is too much to spend.

Ye bet cars are cool and sexy. You cant get a women with a nice looking TV! :D I suppose you can't get a women with a car either but.. oh i dont know. I am tight though. I'm trying to keep as much as this student loan as possible. It would be all gone if i wasn't living at home
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #419 on: December 27, 2006, 06:21:15 pm »
I suppose you can't get a women with a car either

You most certainly can.

It's when you have to rely on that that you become a tragic tosser.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #420 on: December 28, 2006, 02:17:34 pm »
You most certainly can.

It's when you have to rely on that that you become a tragic tosser.

Oh right ye, i see what you mean. :P

Hey baby, you wanna see my new HD? Its pretty... big. 42 inches of hard smooth c...GLASS

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: December 28, 2006, 03:22:14 pm »
When the content's there Keith it'll be a must have for me, but for now it isn't (at the right price anyway), so I'll keep an eye on the price for now but it'll need a pretty amazing deal to attract me at this stage until Sky sort their act out which I'm guessing will be another year or so

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: December 29, 2006, 12:34:46 am »
I suppose it depends what you're after Filo,but the latest films and football in HD will do me for now.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: December 29, 2006, 12:49:40 am »
I don't deny there is a benefit I just don't think its that huge given the lack of channels and current price, especially with Sky now likely to increase sports subs again this year for fewer games given the terms of the new TV contract.

Eventually it'll all come together and I'll buy one but at current prices it might depend on whether I get a bonus early next year!

Any idea when the PX60 is being replaced?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: December 29, 2006, 11:29:37 am »
I don't deny there is a benefit I just don't think its that huge given the lack of channels and current price, especially with Sky now likely to increase sports subs again this year for fewer games given the terms of the new TV contract.

Eventually it'll all come together and I'll buy one but at current prices it might depend on whether I get a bonus early next year!

Any idea when the PX60 is being replaced?

Probably around March/April.

Offline The not so lazy.boy

• Suspected Naturist Shoplifter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #425 on: December 29, 2006, 12:16:30 pm »
Got the px60 on boxing day from currys with glass stand(£200) and 5 year warranty(£250) all in for £1100 got them to throw in a couple of scart leads aswell. Think I could have got it cheaper if I shopped around abit but never mind.

Really happy with the quality even through regular Sky, DVD quality is top notch aswell.

Need a controller extension for my ps2 tho  ::)
Same shit, Different day!

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
« Reply #426 on: December 29, 2006, 06:29:36 pm »
Looks nice. Mine arrives on the 12th Jan, then my new front room will be complete ;D

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #427 on: December 29, 2006, 09:18:31 pm »
I have just started getting some more gadgets. Got a Samsung 40" LCD, Sky+, multi-room etc

About time I moved into the modern world!

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: December 30, 2006, 03:02:38 am »
;D Class tv that lazy boy

All i want is xbox 360 to start selling a hdmi cable!

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #429 on: December 30, 2006, 05:18:35 pm »
Just got a 37" PX60.

Any recommendations for picture quality / settings?

Also what would you recommend for the 200 hour running in period?

Cheers

Oh and while you are at it, my NTL box currently outputs composite via Scart but has the option for RGB Scart. Would that improve picture quality and would it affect the sound?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 05:27:16 pm by mulfella »
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: December 30, 2006, 06:15:19 pm »
Just got a 37" PX60.

Any recommendations for picture quality / settings?

Also what would you recommend for the 200 hour running in period?

Cheers

Oh and while you are at it, my NTL box currently outputs composite via Scart but has the option for RGB Scart. Would that improve picture quality and would it affect the sound?

Just put it in Cinema mode and you should be OK.Then after around 200 hours you can budge the settings up to suit what you want or get a DVE disc and set it that way as that can give good results.

COLOUR BALANCE : Normal
COLOUR MANAGEMENT : Off
P-NR : Off

Don't forget to set it for each source,ie NTL box,DVD etc.

Yes,use RGB scart and make sure you connect it to an RGB socket on the back.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: December 31, 2006, 01:06:10 pm »
Keith, have you heards if Panny are pulling this set now, was speaking to a retailer and they were claiming the PX60 is now end of line hence the price cuts.

Can apparently get the stand version for £899 in London, but I'm still struggling due to the risk of being stuck with a purple snake monster ;) as Panny still don't seem to be acknowledging it as a fault even though its clearly only affecting some sets

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #432 on: December 31, 2006, 01:27:16 pm »
Keith, have you heards if Panny are pulling this set now, was speaking to a retailer and they were claiming the PX60 is now end of line hence the price cuts.

Can apparently get the stand version for £899 in London, but I'm still struggling due to the risk of being stuck with a purple snake monster ;) as Panny still don't seem to be acknowledging it as a fault even though its clearly only affecting some sets

That's the model I have. It is a fucking beast of a set, and just keeps getting better. For that price I'd get two  ;)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: December 31, 2006, 02:40:30 pm »

To be honest,they only have a shelf life of around 12 months anyway,and I think it was around March that the PX series came out last year and if I remember correctly they pulled the PV around a month or so before that to sell the remaining stocks.So I wouldn't be surprised if they are on the verge of pulling it.

Keep hearing stories about the snakes,but yet still to see them and I get the impression it's a fault of the TV and not inherent to the Panny,so,with a good guarantee and a free one at that,I aint too worried.  ;)

The thing is,the next gen panel set will probably revert to around £1800 when it's released,but I doubt it will be twice as good as the PX60.

You can also pick the 50" up for £1500 now. :o
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 02:53:47 pm by keithcun »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: December 31, 2006, 06:15:44 pm »
Only thing that does concern me on the snakes issue is the number of people who seem to have had it and then also had it on thewir replacement still if its not that noticeable or seen too often I could live with it.

The £899 for the stand version includes delivery as well, think I might finally bite the bullet, just annoying JL don't have any stock or I'd have gone for the price match there to get the 5 year guarantee

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: December 31, 2006, 06:27:23 pm »
Only thing that does concern me on the snakes issue is the number of people who seem to have had it and then also had it on thewir replacement still if its not that noticeable or seen too often I could live with it.

Still in the minority Filo.

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #436 on: December 31, 2006, 08:41:39 pm »
Buying an HD tv is fraught with info overload.

You need a low refresh rate (less than 12ms) for LCD's else watching football or any fast movement will leave a fuzzie edge around the object. I'd say a low refresh rate is probably more important than having the highest pixel range.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: December 31, 2006, 10:27:48 pm »
Still in the minority Filo.

I don't doubt that, it doesn't take too many people to make a fair bit of noise on a forum

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #438 on: January 2, 2007, 09:44:37 am »
I don't doubt that, it doesn't take too many people to make a fair bit of noise on a forum

Filo, I just got the 37" and with a bit of tweaking I have to say the picture is stunning for SD. The footy looks like how I imagine HD would be, its that sharp.

Totally surpassed my expectations. When I've seen them in the shops unless they've been running HD demo content I've always thought they were a bit shite (Plasmas and LCDs in general rather than the panny).

But having sorted out my sources using RGB scart rather than composite through a switching amp, I'm totally impressed.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 2, 2007, 10:12:49 am »
Cheers mulfella, I'm pretty much sold on it now, I'm going to check if John Lewis are going to get any more stock in though if I could get it for £899 with stand and 5 year warranty it would be a bargain as far as I'm concerned