Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 377127 times)

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #560 on: March 28, 2007, 10:03:10 am »
LCDs generally look more eye catching with brighter displays especially under fluorescent lighting.

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole for 42" screens and up but thats just me

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #561 on: March 28, 2007, 10:12:26 am »
Sony Bravia S-Series 32" LCD TV (KLV-S32A10)

Has now been going since the World Cup and is continuing to belt out excellent pictures.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #562 on: March 28, 2007, 11:02:09 am »
Can't beleive how fast the prices are dropping on these big screen beasts.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: March 28, 2007, 11:09:04 am »

I know. Speaking to a mate who has a Panasonic LCD Tv- 32"... bought it last year with a surround sound set up (can't have been more than a couple of hundred quid)... for £1500. You could get a beast of a tv for that now.

Good news though.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #564 on: March 28, 2007, 11:23:13 am »
Think i read somewhere to go with LCD if youre getting a "normal sized" TV. For larger go with Plasma

Edit: It seems Filo has already made this point
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2007, 11:29:21 am »
Another bargain, for one day only:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5686.aspx
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #566 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:15 am »
True.  We are buying 2 for our new office and together they are only 50% more than 1 was 8 months ago.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:36 am »
Another bargain, for one day only:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5686.aspx

Thats damn cheap compared to other prices I'm looking at on the net for the same TV.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2007, 11:41:42 am »
So Toshiba LCD/Plasmas good then?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2007, 11:47:26 am »
Thats damn cheap compared to other prices I'm looking at on the net for the same TV.

Yup, I get a "Deal of the Day" e-mail from Tesco everyday, this is today's offer and is available until 10.00 am tomorrow, or until stocks run out.
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #570 on: March 28, 2007, 07:23:58 pm »
Panasonic are famous for telling people that Plasma is better than L.C.D.

Look out for vested interests....

Seems to match what the independant tests say as well then.

The best flatscreens out there are plasma.Doesn't matter whether it's Panny,Pioneer or Fujitsu.they are the cream when it comes to flat screen displays.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #571 on: March 28, 2007, 07:34:05 pm »
Seems to match what the independant tests say as well then.

The best flatscreens out there are plasma. Doesn't matter whether it's Panny,Pioneer or Fujitsu.they are the cream when it comes to flat screen displays.

I just don't know how you can know that to be true. Unless you work for an AV magazine or something. It's so hard to get to test a range of good displays in life-like conditions. Shops are no good. Dedicated showrooms are, but the conditions can be a little 'too good'. One of the main drawbacks of plasma, for me, is the reflection issue. If you draw the curtains to watch TV, fine, but if not, plasma can be annoying.

Even seeing displays at other peoples' houses can be uninformative, as most people set them up wrong. And have poor leads, a poor receiver, and so on.
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: March 28, 2007, 07:59:56 pm »
Yup, I get a "Deal of the Day" e-mail from Tesco everyday, this is today's offer and is available until 10.00 am tomorrow, or until stocks run out.

Got home, went to order - out of stock :'(

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: March 28, 2007, 08:50:33 pm »
Got home, went to order - out of stock :'(

http://www.hotukdeals.com/?merchant_filter=All&category_filter=3&type_filter=All&availability_filter=All&status_filter=Active&order_by=Newest

Must be quite a few tvs on that that may take your fancy- may be a bit of trawling though, seeing as it's also got other electricals in it.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: March 28, 2007, 11:35:36 pm »
I just don't know how you can know that to be true. Unless you work for an AV magazine or something. It's so hard to get to test a range of good displays in life-like conditions. Shops are no good. Dedicated showrooms are, but the conditions can be a little 'too good'. One of the main drawbacks of plasma, for me, is the reflection issue. If you draw the curtains to watch TV, fine, but if not, plasma can be annoying.

Even seeing displays at other peoples' houses can be uninformative, as most people set them up wrong. And have poor leads, a poor receiver, and so on.

I watch my plasma during the day and I have never had the need to draw my curtains.Reflection is not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

I have yet to see an independent test of flatscreens where the LCD has beat the Pioneer or Panny plasma on picture quality,and believe you me,I have read a lot.

You also don't get motion issues that is inherrent on LCD's,with plasma as the technology is similar to CRT and the LCD black levels can not match those of the plasma.

The only advantage of the LCD over the plasma is that you can't get screen burn on LCD's.Saying that,I have left my plasma from day one on such channels as Sky Sports News and never had a second of image retention,so that is one advantage negated.Also,plasmas don't go smaller than 37",but again,that's not a problem because I wated a minimum of 42",where plasma prevails.

I gained my information from doing almost 2 years of research on flatscreens which ranged from buying magazines to seeing all the different screens in different environments and sourced from different set ups.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #575 on: March 29, 2007, 12:14:08 pm »
LCDs are also a lot lighter, so easier to hang, but that just totally depends on where you live, DIY competence, and such like.

But, OK, fair enough, you did your research and are happy. Personally I prefer the picture from an LCD, and do find the reflection from a plasma very distracting.

All of that said, I think that whether you prefer plasma or LCD, it's always going to be better getting a decent set from a decent brand - rubbish TVs are rubbish whichever way they are made.
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #576 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:02 pm »

I have yet to see an independent test of flatscreens where the LCD has beat the Pioneer or Panny plasma on picture quality,and believe you me,I have read a lot.

I recently lost my Panny 42PX60. As soon as I'm sorted I'll be replacing it, like-for-like. It's that good.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: March 29, 2007, 01:23:48 pm »
Only way I'd recommend a LCD over a plasma is if your primary focus is using it for gaming rather than TV viewing, I'd say its pretty widely accepted that LCDs do a better job with gaming than plasmas.

For TV though especially SD broadcasts a good plasma will be the better option

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #578 on: March 29, 2007, 01:28:05 pm »
I recently lost my Panny 42PX60. As soon as I'm sorted I'll be replacing it, like-for-like. It's that good.

how do you lose a 42 inch tv, you checked in the corner?

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: March 29, 2007, 04:55:03 pm »
how do you lose a 42 inch tv, you checked in the corner?

Maybe he was watching the Villa match on that TV...

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #580 on: March 29, 2007, 11:48:41 pm »
 ;D
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

hoonin

« Reply #581 on: April 3, 2007, 06:57:53 pm »
Panasonic will be rollling the new models out in a month or so,so I would personally wait.The good news is,that they will be considerably cheaper than the model it is replacing when they were launched.Less than £1000 for the 37" and around £1200 for the 42".The new model numbers are PX70 and PX700.

Looks like I'll be going for the PX70.

http://www.multizoneav.com/web/product.php?productid=20609&xid=72cb8b1c539aff2404fb204d0a1bc492

Ony concern is that it doesnt have two or 3 of the socket types that the P60 had, not that that I realy know what they are for or if I even need them?
« Last Edit: April 3, 2007, 06:59:56 pm by Gareth »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #582 on: April 3, 2007, 08:14:07 pm »
It doesn't have HDMI?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

hoonin

« Reply #583 on: April 3, 2007, 08:29:19 pm »
Whats that then?

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: April 3, 2007, 08:30:52 pm »
Whats that then?

It's how you receive HD from external sources (I think). It has 2 so no problems. Am looking to buy this plasma in the next few weeks as well.
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: April 3, 2007, 08:33:05 pm »
For connecting HD devices such as a HD Sky Box or a PS3 etc.

That Panasonic has got 2 HDMI inputs, that site just doesn't list them.

hoonin

« Reply #586 on: April 3, 2007, 10:16:16 pm »
Nice 8)

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: April 3, 2007, 11:16:38 pm »
2 HDMIs but down to 2 Scarts (both RGB) I believe

They've taken out the front S-Video as well which would be annoyig for connecting my laptop across the living room if nothing else!
« Last Edit: April 3, 2007, 11:18:22 pm by filopastry »

hoonin

« Reply #588 on: April 3, 2007, 11:55:41 pm »
They've taken out the front S-Video as well which would be annoyig for connecting my laptop across the living room if nothing else!

When will you ever have your laptop in my living room though? :D

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: April 3, 2007, 11:57:56 pm »
When will you ever have your laptop in my living room though? :D

But now he knows which Tv you will have, you better lock your back door ;)

If you dont then the problem comes into play

Offline Wholey

• Sportsdaq King
  • Legacy Fan
  • Choo Choo!
« Reply #590 on: April 3, 2007, 11:59:15 pm »
Looks like I'll be going for the PX70.

http://www.multizoneav.com/web/product.php?productid=20609&xid=72cb8b1c539aff2404fb204d0a1bc492

Ony concern is that it doesnt have two or 3 of the socket types that the P60 had, not that that I realy know what they are for or if I even need them?

Planning on purchasing exactly the same.

Dwelling over whether to get the cabinet, get the wall bracket or leave it as it is.
If you're reading this signature as a result of reading a post of mine in 'The Bets Thread', then please ignore the aforementioned post as I'm likely to be spouting bollocks and if you follow me, you'll lose money. Thank You.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: April 4, 2007, 04:51:18 am »
Spend the extra and get a very good five year guarantee as well thrown in.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/Televisions/Plasma+TV/1377/230419042/Product.aspx

Or for a cheaper price with a 3 year guarantee for limited period try here.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~PAN-TH37PX70B.htm
« Last Edit: April 4, 2007, 04:55:38 am by keithcun »

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #592 on: April 4, 2007, 01:11:02 pm »
I need a decent (but cheap) 20" LCD TV for the bedroom.......any recommendations?
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #593 on: April 4, 2007, 01:23:14 pm »
does "1080p Digital Processing Chip-Set /1080p Digital Re-Mastering Processor" actually mean it is 1080p, or it scales it to give something that is like 1080p ?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: April 4, 2007, 02:44:48 pm »
does "1080p Digital Processing Chip-Set /1080p Digital Re-Mastering Processor" actually mean it is 1080p, or it scales it to give something that is like 1080p ?

It means it will accept a 1080p source and will scale to suit the resoluton of the TV.Not all HD TV sets will,in fact,a lot won't.

You need a 1920 x 1080 pixel count to display true 1080p.

Offline Wholey

• Sportsdaq King
  • Legacy Fan
  • Choo Choo!
« Reply #595 on: April 4, 2007, 04:16:03 pm »
Spend the extra and get a very good five year guarantee as well thrown in.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/Televisions/Plasma+TV/1377/230419042/Product.aspx

Or for a cheaper price with a 3 year guarantee for limited period try here.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~PAN-TH37PX70B.htm

Fairly cheap to get some kind of stand for it?
If you're reading this signature as a result of reading a post of mine in 'The Bets Thread', then please ignore the aforementioned post as I'm likely to be spouting bollocks and if you follow me, you'll lose money. Thank You.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: April 4, 2007, 04:21:14 pm »
Fairly cheap to get some kind of stand for it?

They do the built in cabinet for £999 at Empiredirect or you coulkd get the ped version and buy your own stand or just simply stick it on the wall for the best look of the lot.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #597 on: April 4, 2007, 04:23:20 pm »
Hmm, I was going to save up for a cheapo one, something like this:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4c4w

but maybe it's worth spending abit extra & saving abit longer?

Out of interest, is this any good?
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=413f

The only HD signals I'd be recieving would be from my 360 for the forseeable future.

Are there any websites out there that compare the best TV's and offer reliable reviews & specifications? Just had a look on which, but you have to be a member to take advantage of their advice.

« Last Edit: April 4, 2007, 04:25:57 pm by Matt S »

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #598 on: April 5, 2007, 12:38:04 am »
'It means it will accept a 1080p source and will scale to suit the resoluton of the TV. Not all HD TV sets will, in fact, a lot won't.

You need a 1920 x 1080 pixel count to display true 1080p.'

Is there any prospect of standardisation, keithcun, or is that a long way of mate?

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: April 5, 2007, 04:58:45 am »
'It means it will accept a 1080p source and will scale to suit the resoluton of the TV. Not all HD TV sets will, in fact, a lot won't.

You need a 1920 x 1080 pixel count to display true 1080p.'

Is there any prospect of standardisation, keithcun, or is that a long way of mate?

It will come eventually,but as long as SD (Standard Definition ie normal TV) is broadcast in the majority,which it is at the moment,then they have to find a compromise between both resolutions,which is what we currently have now.

Unless the screen will be used solely for HD sources,then I wouldn't bother with a 1920 x 1080 panel at the moment as they really struggle giving a good picture with SD sources.