Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 377134 times)

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #480 on: March 5, 2007, 12:40:04 pm »
Ended up sticking with the Toshiba CRT. Cost of getting SKY HD would have been ridiculous, ended up getting SKY through cable (no HD available) with Internet and phone. That with the TV fitting perfectly in the furniture meant an easy decision in the end.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #481 on: March 5, 2007, 12:51:35 pm »
I can see it being this time next year before I upgrade now, living in hope Sky will be abit more reasonable with their pricing at some stage, and the new next set of ranges should be relatively cheap by then.

Would have no problem going with the PX60 now that the purple snakes are resolved, its just the pricing of high def content and scarcity of it that remains the obstacle

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #482 on: March 5, 2007, 02:44:37 pm »
Well the thing is TVs in house last about 10 years.

So if we get one I wanna get a good one now (so i guess good and cheap dont really go do they). Even though it may not have the 1080 sources, in a couple years it will.

Rather get e.g. a 1200 one now, rather then a 800 pound one now, and another 800 pound one few years down the line to get the full glory of HiDef
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #483 on: March 5, 2007, 02:58:20 pm »
Well the thing is TVs in house last about 10 years.

So if we get one I wanna get a good one now (so i guess good and cheap dont really go do they). Even though it may not have the 1080 sources, in a couple years it will.

Rather get e.g. a 1200 one now, rather then a 800 pound one now, and another 800 pound one few years down the line to get the full glory of HiDef

What you have to remember is,it will be very unlikely that TV will be transmitted in 1080p as the bandwidth required is just too high.So,the only 1080p source you will be able to watch are from a HDDVD or BluRay players in the forseeable future.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #484 on: March 5, 2007, 03:05:30 pm »
hmmmmm

Is there huge diference in 720 and 1080 then
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: March 5, 2007, 03:13:10 pm »
hmmmmm
Is there huge diference in 720 and 1080 then

only if you are clark kent
STFU and agree with me.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #486 on: March 5, 2007, 06:35:36 pm »
I've had my PX60 running on both 720p and 1080i if anything the 720p looks better.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: March 5, 2007, 06:44:01 pm »
I've had my PX60 running on both 720p and 1080i if anything the 720p looks better.

It often does as its interlaced

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: March 5, 2007, 08:40:08 pm »
only if you are clark kent

There is a great deal of difference if you have a TV that can show them to the full potential.There is no real difference if you have a screen that doesn't have the correct pixel count.

As for 720p and 1080i on the PX60,if watching Sky I find that 1080i gives the better picture becasue it is only scaled once,by the TV itself as all Sky HD programs are transmitted in 1080i.If you watch 720p,then the box scales it then the TV scales it toi fit the resolution of the screen.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: March 5, 2007, 08:45:13 pm »
My dad just got this TV a couple weeks ago - 46ince widescreen rear projection by Sony (HDTV.)

Fucking Ace.

Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: March 6, 2007, 04:32:42 pm »
Popping on here for the first time. TV went bang the other day and insurance says its not worth repairing so im getting a new one  ;D Missus aint to happy but I cant wait.

Now, the problem is I aint got a clue what to get. Think 42" is going to be too big for our apartment but we are looking to buy a bigger place, so dunno. I think im sticking to a 32" or 37". Just dont know which.

Anyone any ideas on these?

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/445846/art/lg/42pc3ra-plasma-screen.html?tag=mail_uk_uk_2007-03-09_14583&srcid=3690#

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/Televisions/LCD+TV/1284/230404947/Product.aspx

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/Televisions/LCD+TV/1284/230334109/Product.aspx

Whats with the HDMI?

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: March 6, 2007, 10:27:10 pm »
Popping on here for the first time. TV went bang the other day and insurance says its not worth repairing so im getting a new one  ;D Missus aint to happy but I cant wait.

Now, the problem is I aint got a clue what to get. Think 42" is going to be too big for our apartment but we are looking to buy a bigger place, so dunno. I think im sticking to a 32" or 37". Just dont know which.

Anyone any ideas on these?

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/445846/art/lg/42pc3ra-plasma-screen.html?tag=mail_uk_uk_2007-03-09_14583&srcid=3690#

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/Televisions/LCD+TV/1284/230404947/Product.aspx

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Televisions/Televisions/LCD+TV/1284/230334109/Product.aspx

Whats with the HDMI?

Got this one delivered from Pixmania yesterday:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/523580/art/samsung/le37s71b-lcd-tv.html

Was £607 when I ordered it, thought they had fucked up the price at the time, took advantage and seems I was right. Still seems like brilliant value at £690.n

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: March 7, 2007, 12:14:51 am »
Looking to get a 37" or a 46" budget about 2000 euros. Been looking at Pannys and Sonys.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: March 7, 2007, 01:18:34 am »
you could probably get a 50" Panny for that at the moment, great price for the PX60 with it being replaced

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #495 on: March 7, 2007, 07:23:01 pm »

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: March 7, 2007, 07:43:24 pm »
new panasonic 42 plasma ...

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th42px70/index.htm

Thats not True HD though is it? Popped into Comet and looked at standard next to True HD and its a big difference.

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: March 7, 2007, 07:53:32 pm »
Thats not True HD though is it? Popped into Comet and looked at standard next to True HD and its a big difference.

its got 768 rows of pixels, which is more than the PX60, but not true high definition.

the PX700 range, which will follow later in the summer, will be true HD...(so i hear)
« Last Edit: March 7, 2007, 08:04:10 pm by Paul_h »

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #498 on: March 7, 2007, 08:09:57 pm »
Same res as the PX60. 1024x768.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: March 7, 2007, 08:46:48 pm »
Same res as the PX60. 1024x768.

ah yeah!
thought it was 720 for some reason..
not sure what improvements there are from PX60, apart from the black styling..

probably get a plasma ...some time this year!

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #500 on: March 8, 2007, 12:17:14 am »
So much for the new TV...the current one is acting as if nothing's wrong with it...and if thats the case, thats good.

The longer i can get out of this the better. Hopefully in a year or so HD tvs will be cheaper as they get more commercial

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: March 8, 2007, 05:42:47 am »
So much for the new TV...the current one is acting as if nothing's wrong with it...and if thats the case, thats good.

The longer i can get out of this the better. Hopefully in a year or so HD tvs will be cheaper as they get more commercial

Christ,how cheap do you want 'em.

You would pay 4 times the price 3 years ago.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: March 8, 2007, 05:43:15 am »
ah yeah!
thought it was 720 for some reason..
not sure what improvements there are from PX60, apart from the black styling..

probably get a plasma ...some time this year!

The 37" Panny is 720.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: March 8, 2007, 01:27:17 pm »
Christ,how cheap do you want 'em.

You would pay 4 times the price 3 years ago.

Well maybe it'll be 5 and a bit times cheaper next year than 3 years ago now!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: March 8, 2007, 03:27:50 pm »
Well maybe it'll be 5 and a bit times cheaper next year than 3 years ago now!

And at that rate,he'll never get one. ;)

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: March 9, 2007, 02:47:46 pm »
To be honest I wouldn't expect to see prices coming down much more in the coming months, they might even go ther other way, its the end of this year's product cycle for a lot of manufacturers at the moemnt hence the discounting ahead of the new lines

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: March 9, 2007, 03:31:48 pm »
I bloke last night at work said he was in Comet and he was offered a 37" Panny plasma for around £900.They didn't have stock so he shown him a picture on the computer and he said that it had a complete black bezel.

Now if that's correct,then it's the new model PX70 and it's considerably cheaper than when the PX60 came out.That price was without stand.

I'm not so sure the info I was given is correct.It woulkdn't surprise me if he was shown a picture of the PX70 and given the price of the outgoing PX60.I mean,he was in Comet,oh,and the salesperson he spoke said that you can't get a 37" plasma,until he was asked to check,and then realised that you can.

Says it all really.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 03:35:13 pm by keithcun »

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: March 9, 2007, 06:05:16 pm »
37PX70 with cabitet for £1049

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/BROWSE/319/405/3-/RegionHome.html?searchtype=genre

42PX70PED for £949

seems like good starting prices...
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 08:52:57 pm by Paul_h »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: March 9, 2007, 09:18:39 pm »
Is the PX70 just a cosmetic change on the 60 or are there other improvements as well?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #509 on: March 9, 2007, 10:08:17 pm »
I am thinking about replacing my TV. I currently have a Toshiba Picture Frame. It looks nice and has served me well but the missus really wants a thin flat screen to save some space.

I know that there are 3(?) types of HD TV out there - 720, 1080 and Full HD. I also know there are Plasma and LCD.
Would be looking for something around the 36 inch mark as space and room size would restrict anything bigger.  I read a calculation somewhere that allowed you to work out what size TV you should buy based on how close to the TV you were.

So...
1) Should I be getting a full HD TV? Will eventually get a Sky HD box once I have the TV.
2) LCD or Plasma?
3) What brand? Have always had Toshiba TVs and found them to be pretty good.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: March 10, 2007, 10:54:30 am »
Is the PX70 just a cosmetic change on the 60 or are there other improvements as well?

Would imagine it's the next generation of the panel but to be honest,I've not done any research.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #511 on: March 11, 2007, 02:19:38 am »
I am thinking about replacing my TV. I currently have a Toshiba Picture Frame. It looks nice and has served me well but the missus really wants a thin flat screen to save some space.

I know that there are 3(?) types of HD TV out there - 720, 1080 and Full HD. I also know there are Plasma and LCD.
Would be looking for something around the 36 inch mark as space and room size would restrict anything bigger.  I read a calculation somewhere that allowed you to work out what size TV you should buy based on how close to the TV you were.

So...
1) Should I be getting a full HD TV? Will eventually get a Sky HD box once I have the TV.
2) LCD or Plasma?

What size are you thinking about?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: March 11, 2007, 09:46:58 am »

So...
2) LCD or Plasma?

What size are you thinking about?

^^^^^^^^around 36/37 inch
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: March 11, 2007, 11:05:56 am »
^^^^^^^^around 36/37 inch

Them I'd wait to see how the Panasonic PX70 performs as that can be had for less than £1000 according to form.

The problem with Full HD sets,unless you are talking about the very pricey ones,and even they struggle,is that they suffer really bad when displaying SD sources such as DVD and normal TV because they have to fill so many pixels with no information.

I have Sky HD and I would say that 85% of what I watch is still in SD,so getting True HD sets is not critical yet,you need something that can be good on both and the the previous model to the Panasonic PX70,was certainly that,probably one of the best.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: March 11, 2007, 11:09:44 am »
Them I'd wait to see how the Panasonic PX70 performs as that can be had for less than £1000 according to form.

The problem with Full HD sets,unless you are talking about the very pricey ones,and even they struggle,is that they suffer really bad when displaying SD sources such as DVD and normal TV because they have to fill so many pixels with no information.

I have Sky HD and I would say that 85% of what I watch is still in SD,so getting True HD sets is not critical yet,you need something that can be good on both and the the previous model to the Panasonic PX70,was certainly that,probably one of the best.
Indeed and true HD source material is very thin on the ground and I doubt that'll change too much in the near future

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: March 11, 2007, 01:41:17 pm »
Thanks Keith.
Thanks Phil.

My old Tosh is doing OK for the moment so I can afford to wait awhile. I didn't want to go buy a TV only to find it was already out of date.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #516 on: March 11, 2007, 04:38:45 pm »
I currently have a Sony Bravia K2000 and its a crackin picture apart from when showing football - it goes dead blurry.

What looks like the best 32 inch tv for showing sports? I had a look at an LG in currys today and that seemed pretty good.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: March 11, 2007, 08:32:51 pm »
I currently have a Sony Bravia K2000 and its a crackin picture apart from when showing football - it goes dead blurry.

What looks like the best 32 inch tv for showing sports? I had a look at an LG in currys today and that seemed pretty good.

That's one reason why I wouldn't have an LCD,can't handle motion very well at all.

If you only want 32" you might as well stick with CRT.

Offline rhubarbos

• Main Stander
  • T.W.A.T, T.W.A.T, Red and White Army
« Reply #518 on: March 11, 2007, 09:05:29 pm »
That's one reason why I wouldn't have an LCD,can't handle motion very well at all.

If you only want 32" you might as well stick with CRT.

Whats the best CRT out there?

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: March 11, 2007, 09:18:19 pm »
probably not the best....but seems amazing value....

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/234854