Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 377105 times)

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #600 on: April 5, 2007, 09:56:07 pm »
OK, I need some advice...

I want to buy a new flat screen telly but there are certain things that are non-negiotiable, the first (and most important) being the screen size - max 26-27" - caused by furniture, room size, wife etc... (thus limiting to an LCD). The second being an integrated digital tuner (to get CBeebies).

I will be using it for general telly use (i.e. no gaming) and will need to connect an old Sky box (which I was given & doesn't get all channels - hence the integrated tuner!) & VHS&DVD Machine (1 combined unit).

Additonally, in the future I'd like to link up all my digital media through it (i.e. be able to link my PC to it so that I can play all my mp3's etc...) therefore it requires an amount of future- proofing? Finally, it'd be nice to have HDMI sockets for when HD broacasting is rife. Although I undertstand that on such a small screen this may not be too much of a concern?

The following link has about the all the normal makes of 'suitable' telly's that I've seen. The prices on this site seem very competitive so the cost is not really an issue.

http://www.multizoneav.com/web/home.php?cat=1206

Can anyone please advise whether all/any of these tellys are suitable? If so which would be best for processing speed & resolution.

I think I have just enough knowledge to know what I should be looking for, but not enough to understand it all really...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way I like the look of the Sony Bravia...!
@ManifoldReasons

Offline TommyW

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #601 on: April 6, 2007, 04:47:42 pm »
I am actually looking to buy something very similar myself this weekend

been looking at:
Samsung LE26R73BD
Panasonic TX26LXD60
Sony Bravia KDL26S2030U

Does anyone have any preferences between these 3? Is there one that I definately should steer well clear of for example?

(incidentally Currys have a very good sale on some of these this weekend which im hoping to get John Lewis to price match in order to get the 5 year guarentee)

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #602 on: April 6, 2007, 04:51:44 pm »
I am actually looking to buy something very similar myself this weekend

been looking at:
Samsung LE26R73BD
Panasonic TX26LXD60
Sony Bravia KDL26S2030U

Does anyone have any preferences between these 3? Is there one that I definately should steer well clear of for example?

(incidentally Currys have a very good sale on some of these this weekend which im hoping to get John Lewis to price match in order to get the 5 year guarentee)

yep I just had a wonder round the sale and the prices are really droppin

Offline Nebular

• Anny Roader
  • Catherine Deneuve. Je t'aime..
« Reply #603 on: April 7, 2007, 11:35:19 am »
I wanna go the whole hog and get a HD ready flat screen telly - 37 inch or maybe 42 if she can be persuaded...

plus Sky -HD - I've heard there are some probs with Sky HD, noisy cooling fan on the receiver and some problems with the hard drive when the disk starts to fill up?

Anyone know re: the Sky HD box and whats a good option for a 37 or 42 inch HD telly?

:wave
The choice of Mackenzie to present a programme on the life and work of Alfred Harmsworth is as appropriate as if a programme on the life and work of Albert Einstein were presented by a baboon. MAGS
Man U play at OT - which now stands for "ONLY TWO" ( WE'VE WON FIVE BY THE WAY................)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzTv5fHgn0

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #604 on: April 7, 2007, 12:06:08 pm »
Speaking of dropping prices on LCDs are there any high quality ones in the 24-27" size range that would be suitable for use as a computer monitor?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: April 7, 2007, 12:08:09 pm »
I wanna go the whole hog and get a HD ready flat screen telly - 37 inch or maybe 42 if she can be persuaded...

plus Sky -HD - I've heard there are some probs with Sky HD, noisy cooling fan on the receiver and some problems with the hard drive when the disk starts to fill up?

Anyone know re: the Sky HD box and whats a good option for a 37 or 42 inch HD telly?

Only thing I'd really even consider would be plasma at 42", and the Panasonic probably has the best trade off between performance and price

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #606 on: April 7, 2007, 12:24:49 pm »
Only thing I'd really even consider would be plasma at 42", and the Panasonic probably has the best trade off between performance and price

I disagree. I have a 40" L.c.d. with Sky Hd. I tlooks fabulous on H.D. feeds. S.D. obviously looks less good.

The real truth is if you go for a good name brand of either technology, you'll get a great picture. The only way you'd tell the difference is by hanging the panels up next to each other, which you are unlikely to do.

If you do go L.C.D., Samsung are a good bet - they use the same panels as Sony, but have a different and supposedly inferior digital filter system (not that I can see any negative difference when seeing a Sony vs Samsung side by side).
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: April 7, 2007, 12:59:51 pm »
Those Samsungs are cheap as dried cow shit now as well- the 37" ones around £5-600 mark.

The new Panasonics look brilliant though- again look pretty good value at £7-800...

It's funny, we're not planning on even getting a new tv, and I read this thread with great interest- picking up a few things. I know that when we do go for a  new tv, I'll be ready  ;D
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #608 on: April 7, 2007, 01:01:32 pm »
Those Samsungs are cheap as dried cow shit now as well- the 37" ones around £5-600 mark.

The new Panasonics look brilliant though- again look pretty good value at £7-800...

It's funny, we're not planning on even getting a new tv, and I read this thread with great interest- picking up a few things. I know that when we do go for a  new tv, I'll be ready  ;D
are the samsungs worth buyin?

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: April 7, 2007, 01:08:59 pm »

I don't think I'm quite enough clued up to be giving advice just yet!!... but it does seem to be a good display for that price. There are loads out there who'll give better advice than me, but Keithcun especially seems to have done a lot of research into it.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #610 on: April 7, 2007, 01:50:32 pm »

Over a Panny plasma?

No way.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: April 7, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »
I disagree. I have a 40" L.c.d. with Sky Hd. I tlooks fabulous on H.D. feeds. S.D. obviously looks less good.

The real truth is if you go for a good name brand of either technology, you'll get a great picture. The only way you'd tell the difference is by hanging the panels up next to each other, which you are unlikely to do.

If you do go L.C.D., Samsung are a good bet - they use the same panels as Sony, but have a different and supposedly inferior digital filter system (not that I can see any negative difference when seeing a Sony vs Samsung side by side).

The difference is,on my Panny,SD looks brilliant,HD is spectacular.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #612 on: April 7, 2007, 01:51:59 pm »
Over a Panny plasma?

No way.

if your looking at about 32" screens though?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: April 7, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »
if your looking at about 32" screens though?

Buy a much better one that's 5" bigger.You know it makes sense.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #614 on: April 7, 2007, 02:06:40 pm »
Buy a much better one that's 5" bigger.You know it makes sense.

37", then is it defo plasma the way to go?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: April 7, 2007, 02:15:55 pm »
37", then is it defo plasma the way to go?

Yep,but not any old plasma.

Stick with Panny and Pioneer and you won't go wrong.They offer the best picture quality.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #616 on: April 9, 2007, 03:45:57 pm »
Yep,but not any old plasma.

Stick with Panny and Pioneer and you won't go wrong.They offer the best picture quality.

righto, well we are prob going to get the extension done, meaning a bigger new room, so mya even go 40", so we will want a panny ir pioneer plasma then? or thats what we should look for

also the resolutions and the brighness, what the hells that all about, im guessin the higher the better but are some gettin too good, ie will not see more benefit from?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: April 9, 2007, 06:21:41 pm »
Higher resolution don't automatically mean better picture.

I've said a few times in this thread,if you are watching something in SD,ie normal TV or DVD ,then you only have something like 476 lines of vertical information.Now if your screen is 1920 x 1080,to fit the SD broadcast or DVD onto the screen,it has to guess (called upscaling) what's in those remaining 600 lines or so,and that is when you get problems with picture quality.So therefore,a screen that's say 1024 x 768,like the Panny and Pioneer,only has to fill 200 vertical lines instead of 600 lines,so the picture will look better.

Also,you have to take into account the built in scaler of the TV's and the Pioneer and Panny have been consistently better than the others for this.

Unless you are going to use the screen solely for HD,ie Sky HD channels and either HD DVD and Blu Ray,then I personally wouldn't touch a 1920 x 1080 set,as they aren't very good at showing SD.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #618 on: April 10, 2007, 12:22:28 pm »
Higher resolution don't automatically mean better picture.

I've said a few times in this thread,if you are watching something in SD,ie normal TV or DVD ,then you only have something like 476 lines of vertical information.Now if your screen is 1920 x 1080,to fit the SD broadcast or DVD onto the screen,it has to guess (called upscaling) what's in those remaining 600 lines or so,and that is when you get problems with picture quality.So therefore,a screen that's say 1024 x 768,like the Panny and Pioneer,only has to fill 200 vertical lines instead of 600 lines,so the picture will look better.

Also,you have to take into account the built in scaler of the TV's and the Pioneer and Panny have been consistently better than the others for this.

Unless you are going to use the screen solely for HD,ie Sky HD channels and either HD DVD and Blu Ray,then I personally wouldn't touch a 1920 x 1080 set,as they aren't very good at showing SD.

cool cheers mate, and then if in two years i go full HD im guessin i wont be missing too much with the lesser resolution?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: April 10, 2007, 12:30:48 pm »
cool cheers mate, and then if in two years i go full HD im guessin i wont be missing too much with the lesser resolution?

Exactly.

Some screens may show you more information (ie pixels) but it's how they show it that matters.There are plenty 1920 x 1080 screens that don't give as good a picture with HD as the Pioneer and the Panny as you have to take into account other aspects such as  motion blur and ghosting,black levels etc.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #620 on: April 10, 2007, 12:32:46 pm »
Exactly.

Some screens may show you more information (ie pixels) but it's how they show it that matters.There are plenty 1920 x 1080 screens that don't give as good a picture with HD as the Pioneer and the Panny.
cheers mate, must admit all the numbers start to confuse me, and the staff in most the shops dont have a clue and you can never trust the blighters anywho

thanks again, will now have a better understanding when im out searchin

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:44 pm »
Trust your own eyes, if you can find a store which can show you a set with a similar source setup to your own and allow you to play around with settings, have a look on avforums for an idea of the issues and advantages of various sets and indeed what settings you should put them on if you're having a demo

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #622 on: April 10, 2007, 02:41:34 pm »
On behalf of the people in the living room, how much would you be looking to shill out for a 28"/32" widescreen high-def tv? Nothing that is going to dominate the entire eastern wall of the house, just a decent sized telly with a great picture.

I've figured the best makes are Panasonic, Fujitsu and Sony. I think we're looking for an LCD too. I'm a complete layman though, and don't even know what to be looking for to search myself, had a go but nothing conclusive.

Also, how long before I'll be replacing the dodgy portable in my room with something a bit snazzier? It's developed a humming noise which is really getting on my tits, are there any of the LCD sets that are quite small screened but can take advantage of component inputs and whatnot? That aren't going to cost an arm and a leg?

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #623 on: April 10, 2007, 03:24:06 pm »
The difference is,on my Panny,SD looks brilliant,HD is spectacular.

The difference is , all your kit is better than anybody elses and they all perform better. I'm getting the ongoing message.

I've only been into home cinema for ten years or so so i obvioulsy have a lot to learn yet ;)

Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: April 10, 2007, 03:38:43 pm »
The difference is , all your kit is better than anybody elses and they all perform better. I'm getting the ongoing message.

I've only been into home cinema for ten years or so so i obvioulsy have a lot to learn yet ;)

And you recommended someone to buy a Samsung.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 03:41:27 pm by keithcun »

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2007, 03:57:07 pm »
And you recommended someone to buy a Samsung.

I've heard nothing but praise from a couple of Samsung LCD owners.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #626 on: April 10, 2007, 04:00:39 pm »

Add me to that list. Mine is amazing

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: April 10, 2007, 04:09:34 pm »

Add me to that list. Mine is amazing

But what are they comparing them to?

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: April 10, 2007, 04:13:54 pm »
The new 1080p set look amazing to me (the samsung offerings) - I think they have LED backlighting too.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: April 10, 2007, 04:21:04 pm »
The new 1080p set look amazing to me (the samsung offerings) - I think they have LED backlighting too.

What do they look like on SD sources?

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: April 10, 2007, 04:23:13 pm »

Good apparently.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2007, 04:23:58 pm »

It seems unfair to slam a Manufacturer of LCD TV if you don't know the answer to that question surely?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2007, 04:28:46 pm »
It seems unfair to slam a Manufacturer of LCD TV if you don't know the answer to that question surely?

Who says I don't know what it looks like on SD.

I was asking the poster what he thought of it on SD.

Also,good wouldn't be good enough for me considering that the majority of watching would be through SD sources.I want an excellent picture on both formats and I have.

Again,I have yet to see a review of both formats where LCD picture quality beats plasma.If someone could point me in the right direction,I'm prepared to be swayed.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2007, 04:32:28 pm »

But what are they comparing them to?

My black and white 14" in the kitchen

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2007, 04:34:22 pm »
Also,good wouldn't be good enough for me considering that the majority of watching would be through SD sources.I want an excellent picture on both formats and I have.

That's a bit of a crazy play on words. You did it earlier in the thread. If I said Excellent you owuld have said, only fantabulous is enough and so on and so forth. I didn't realise that you required a specific scale

shit>ok>average>good>amazing>superduper>HD

;)

I'm not sure why you've got such a downer on 1080p tv's - it's like you are bursting to shout 720 is better than 1080
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:36:50 pm by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: April 10, 2007, 04:38:30 pm »
Purely from my viewing alone I would say a good plasma isn't that much weaker than a good CRT when it comes to SD broadcasts, I've been very disappointed with all the LCDs I've seen showing SD though, but I haven't been viewing many in the last 6 months though so can't comment on more recent releases

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2007, 04:43:50 pm »
This is why I've not jumped too early. I'm just hanging back and doing without for a while as there isn't much HD content and I would want to have all movies I want in hd format and sky HD showing most of the channels in hd - otherwise I don't see the point in having it yet.

When stuff like that falls into place, I will do a bag of research and buy something

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2007, 05:43:29 pm »
This is why I've not jumped too early. I'm just hanging back and doing without for a while as there isn't much HD content and I would want to have all movies I want in hd format and sky HD showing most of the channels in hd - otherwise I don't see the point in having it yet.

When stuff like that falls into place, I will do a bag of research and buy something

For me, it's worth it just for the football. So much better on HD. Can see who players are even from the long-shots, instead of only being able to spot players with odd features. In fact, sport in general is one of the things (along with nature documentaries and films) that most benefits from HD. Super Bowl in HD was amazing, and I'm not even that bothered for the US Football.

I find I don't watch tonnes of HD stuff - but probably a few films each month, the odd documentary, and football. And 24. More and more is in HD though, so not starved of content by any means. Will go down-hill next season though as Setanta have some of the games, and no HD capabilities. Shite.

Is a dangerous hobby though, as once you get a good set-up, you realise how it could be improved. People spend £1000s just on a sub-woofer. Saw a link on AVForums to a guy who dug out his cellar to turn it into a speaker (?!) Crazy stuff, but fun.
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: April 11, 2007, 04:53:24 am »
That's a bit of a crazy play on words. You did it earlier in the thread. If I said Excellent you owuld have said, only fantabulous is enough and so on and so forth. I didn't realise that you required a specific scale

shit>ok>average>good>amazing>superduper>HD

;)

I'm not sure why you've got such a downer on 1080p tv's - it's like you are bursting to shout 720 is better than 1080

Firstly,a 720 screen will be better than a 1080 screen on SD material.Just think about it.A 1080 screen will have to find 600 vertical lines of information it isn't receiving to fill the screen resolution.That is one hell of a lot of gaps it needs to fill.

As I've stated numerous times in this thread,unless it's solely for watching HD,then the picture just isn't good enough on SD broadcasts and that's regardless whether it's an LCD or Plasma.I've seen a 1080p Pioneer plasma,probably one of the best HD flatscreens you can buy and the picture on SD just wasn't good enough and that is why I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one UNLESS it is used solely for HD sources.

I just can't understand why you don't understand what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:57:30 am by keithcun »

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: April 12, 2007, 08:56:12 am »
I do understand what you're saying. Fully.

However, it has a lot to do with panel size too, or more importantly the size of the pixels. Do you agree with that?