Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 278107 times)

Offline Gilmour

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Super Bock or Sagres!

Btw: you guys need new smiles IMMEDIATELY  :butt

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/wpimages/wp0a201a17_05.jpg

This is delicious. Tastes like chocolately beer. What isn't there to like about that?

Old Growler by the Nethergate Brewery in Pentlow Essex is delicious also.

I'm also partial to a Broadside from Adnams.

In terms of overall quality I don't think you can beat the Shepherd Neame or Adnams breweries. Both have a number of decent ales - ranging from light options (e.g. Whitstable Bay, Adnams Explorer) through to darker options (e.g. Bishops Finger or Broadside).
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline RhodyRoadie

• Main Stander
Just released today, I had the pleasure of trying the first American Trappist beer, as I have had other Trappist beers before.

The monks at the abby decided to produce a beer that is usually reserved for those in the abbey which is traditionally lighter. Slightly more carbonated. A light malt followed by hints of Banana, bread and clove. The clove is stronger than other that I have had. 

From what I have read, the a few months stayed in Belgium (Chimay??) for about a year to learn the trade, they were also given yeast from Chimay for the new brewery.

The store I usually go to had to hide them behind the counter because of demand; currently only available in Massachusetts but will probably be distributed through the North East then East Coast.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Me neither mate. I assumed it was just because it was drunk with oysters (back when oysters were working class fodder). Seriously nice pint though and deffo a brewery to watch. Got to love a brewery that is willing to experiment and their Faithless range is testament to that.

Their beers sound decent. Chap behind the bar at my local is off to the Manchester beer festival at the Velodrome tomorrow. Ive told him to look out for some. The Smokeless one sounds like one to have a go at. 

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Just got in this years allotment of Hopslam, 10 cases. In addition Dogfish Head just regained its distribution in my state, so as hoppy beers go I am set.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
A few Irish brewerys popping up over the last few years which is great to see.

Have a few of these for tonight, only going a few months as far as I know. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Donegal representen yo! ;D

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Just a quick heads up, Asda are selling Brakspear Triple III at a Ł1 a bottle. A 500ml bottle. 6.7%. You could get slaughtered for a fiver.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just back from several. The one that I have been drinking a lot of recently is the pacific ale from Stone and Wood brewing based in Byron Bay in Australia. An absolutely stunning part of the world full of microbreweries it turns out.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
A few Irish brewerys popping up over the last few years which is great to see.

Have a few of these for tonight, only going a few months as far as I know. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Donegal representen yo! ;D
needs more dog
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Slightly off-topic but still beer related. I'm going to Liverpool in 3 weeks time and would like 2-3 names of pubs where they serve proper ales, stouts etc on tap. Pretty please...? :wave

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
I need help identifying a Belgian ale, the name started with W, something like Weitzell Wesiall, the label was blue. Help appreciated because it was really nice.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Slightly off-topic but still beer related. I'm going to Liverpool in 3 weeks time and would like 2-3 names of pubs where they serve proper ales, stouts etc on tap. Pretty please...? :wave
You could try The Dispensary on Renshaw Street, then just go up Leece Street and left into Roscoe Street for The Roscoe Head. Proper pubs with well kept ale.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You could try The Dispensary on Renshaw Street, then just go up Leece Street and left into Roscoe Street for The Roscoe Head. Proper pubs with well kept ale.
Eh?

Isn't that crazy Dave's pub??? Proper nutter

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Eh?

Good beer was the brief  :wave

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Eh?

There's a good thread in Liverpool life

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good beer was the brief  :wave
Yeah but don't be taking too long in downing that craft beer or you'll be kicked out!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah but don't be taking too long in downing that craft beer or you'll be kicked out!
:)  I'm usually parched, so never in too much danger of that!

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Peter Austin passed away recently, I read he was responsible for many of the microbreweries in the UK and the U.S

Cheers Peter.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!

He doesn't sell 'craft' beer just real ale.

Tom,

Two parts of the city centre to drink real ale.

Hope Street end of town you have The Belvedere, Ye Cracke, The Grapes, Fly in the Loaf, Roscoe Head and The Dispensary.

Then Dale Street end you have Ship & Mitre, The Excelsior, Vernon Arms, Rigbys and The Lion.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Incidentally, me and El Campeador, formerly of these parts, recently hit some Amsterdam bars. He was good at trying lots of different brews, I wasn't as I tend to go for the lower alcohol and bigger volume, but we both agreed that Heineken is shit, even in Amsterdam. Seriously. Rotten.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Loving this at the minute

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
Just back from several. The one that I have been drinking a lot of recently is the pacific ale from Stone and Wood brewing based in Byron Bay in Australia. An absolutely stunning part of the world full of microbreweries it turns out.
It's great news that craft beers can be found in Australia. I've been there quite a few times and all the bars sold shite lagers like Toohey's. Couldn't get a proper beer anywhere. Must go back one day

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
Heineken Schmeineken

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
for tonight....

Offline pachaboy

• Kemlynite

It's great news that craft beers can be found in Australia. I've been there quite a few times and all the bars sold shite lagers like Toohey's. Couldn't get a proper beer anywhere. Must go back one day

Love Byron bay, great place, great bars and pies. Always loved Little Creatures Ale in Oz.

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
Love Byron bay, great place, great bars and pies. Always loved Little Creatures Ale in Oz.
Yes, been to Byron Bay. Very nice indeed.

Little Creatures used to be available in one or two UK supermarket chains, but I haven't seen it for a while. I did spot it in an amazing off-licence in south Wimbledon recently though. They sold loads of obscure beers from around the world.

A mate of mine goes to Perth (WA, not Scotland!) every year to visit his father and he tells me that there are lots of microbreweries in that area now

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Craft beer appears to have taken off big time. Microbreweries popping up all over the place and bars selling them are even more common. You'll love it if you love craft beer.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
My latest discovery is the Londis on Penny Lane, the selection of local and international craft ales is excellent, give it a look if you're local.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
This is what I'm rocking at the moment, only €2 a bottle in Lidl, 5% and above all absolutely gorgeous. Love the flavors and so does the happy monk on the bottle.

Offline Mcnutty

• Main Stander
"And it goes Liverpool's way again as Reina makes a second save. He's going to out Dudek  Dudek."

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
For Liverpool's lovers of quality beer...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/brewdog-liverpool-bar-gets-go-ahead-6743972

:D

Yep, saw that a few days ago.  Looking forward to it.

I've noticed a few places in Liverpool with Shipyard Brewing Co. on their pumps - not one I'd come across before a few weeks back but their IPA is great.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Yep, saw that a few days ago.  Looking forward to it.

I've noticed a few places in Liverpool with Shipyard Brewing Co. on their pumps - not one I'd come across before a few weeks back but their IPA is great.

Their Export Ale and Old Thumper are nice too.

Longfellow Winter ale/porter is strange, but growing on me.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
For Liverpool's lovers of quality beer...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/brewdog-liverpool-bar-gets-go-ahead-6743972

:D

We have one in Nottingham. My top tip is to find a way of visiting brewdog around 2-3 o'clock. You'll generally be able to sit at the bar and run through the card in 1/3s with advice from really knowledgeable bar tenders. Last time I did that, a new Aussie bar tender arrived from London. Beer afficionados in the trade will move areas to work at a brewdog. In the evenings they're too busy to give you the best walk through their range.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
Nice to see not all of my fellow Reds are Stella drinking heathens. ;)

Just got back from the US like a month ago - hit up all the good ones Anchor, 21st Ammendment, Stone, Alesmith, Green Flash, Pizza Port, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, and Uncommon in Cali. Visited some epic craft beer bars there too, Zeitgeist in particular was eye opening. Would have loved to hit Alpine but maybe next time. Oh and of course Russian River and was there on the second to last day of the PtY thing at the brewery.

edit: oh and I forgot Lagunitas too. For a 'small brewery' their facility is humongous.

In Portland I checked out this up and coming brewery called The Commons (look out for them, they do some really cool Belgian/German style beers which the craft industry has been neglecting a bit), Hopworks Urban Brewery and checked out both the Rogue Bar (whose food was ridiculously good) and the Deschutes Bar. The most epic craft beer bar there was Apex - 50 taps of some awesome shit. By far the highlight though was sitting down and having a chat with craft beer legend Alan Sprints (Hair of the Dog) who made some time to talk to us.  Drinking Adam from the Wood 2011 was a close second.

Best beer I had in the US was suprisingly not the Younger, but a beer called Allocation IIPA - a collab between Portland's Barley Browns and Boneyard.

Planning another trip soon, there were a couple we wanted to hit but couldn't make and we'd like to give Denver a go and check out the likes of Great Divide and some others down that way.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2014, 02:43:08 am by n00bert »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Had a bit of a mess up the weekend with an old mate.

Dogfish Head Burton Baton
Dogfish Head 61 min IPA
Left Hand Imperial Stout "Wake up Dead" on Nitro
Great Divide Colette
Schlafly Triple
Founders Porter
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
and more then a few Warsteiners

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
Fond of this one:

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
Never has the Goose Island BCS or anything from Goose Island for that matter. Was it any good? How does it compare to the Founders KBS?

For me the KBS has to be one of the best beers I've ever had.

Pheeny

For all those knocking Stella,when poured correctly and on a warm day it is a very nice drink.