Author Topic: Gay Footballers  (Read 48335 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gay Footballers
« Reply #320 on: May 17, 2022, 08:20:03 am »
Good on him, but men’s football largely is still in the dark ages.

Some engerlund fans with 6 pints of pre match stella with give him dogs abuse.

Fixed it. The women’s game is doing fine in the 21st century.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #321 on: May 17, 2022, 08:41:15 am »
Nice one lid. Best of luck to him.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #322 on: May 17, 2022, 12:23:49 pm »
Fair play to the lad, he has bottle.

and  as JOB says
You don't choose to be gay, you do choose to be homophobic

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #323 on: May 17, 2022, 01:26:06 pm »
Thomas Hitzlsperger was interviewed on BBC 5 Live this morning where he didn’t sound optimistic that footballers feel comfortable coming out and he couldn’t see that changing for the next 5 years.

I think he got a point there. These issues were discussed 10-15 years ago and still it doesn’t seem to have much progress. Are they worried they would be banned from playing in countries with anti-gay laws like Serbia, China and Saudi Arabia? The issues could be bigger than that but there weren’t talked enough.

On a brighter note, I am very proud that our fans support gay footballers.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2022, 02:42:43 pm »
Fixed it. The women’s game is doing fine in the 21st century.

womens' football is lovely. full of warmth and nice family vibes. i hope LFC's womens' team continues to get growing support as it's a nice vibe and cheap.
YNWA.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #325 on: May 18, 2022, 02:26:33 pm »
Idrissa Gueye outs himself as cuntish bigot, refusing to play in PSG's most recent game because he objected to them wearing a rainbow symbol to mark the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (which the France FA support and ask teams to show their support for)

Cheikhou Kouyate tweeted a picture of him and Gueye with 'Real Man' caption, whilst Ismaila Sarr posted "100%"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61492696

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: May 18, 2022, 02:57:04 pm »
Beyond me why society seems to feel that people are required to disclose their sexual preferences.

Fair play to the lad, not undermining what he's done.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #327 on: May 18, 2022, 03:02:58 pm »
Beyond me why society seems to feel that people are required to disclose their sexual preferences.

Fair play to the lad, not undermining what he's done.

Because gay people have been victimised, demonised, even criminalised for years and continue, in some quarters, to face discrimination and hate. People don't choose their sexuality. To have prominent sportspeople come out as gay helps to remove the remaining [ridiculous, illogical] stigmas.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #328 on: May 18, 2022, 03:09:36 pm »
As Klopp said its mad it has to be a thing but alas the world we're in, good on anyone coming out

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: May 18, 2022, 03:56:34 pm »

Because gay people have been victimised, demonised, even criminalised for years and continue, in some quarters, to face discrimination and hate. People don't choose their sexuality. To have prominent sportspeople come out as gay helps to remove the remaining [ridiculous, illogical] stigmas.

Yeah, not sure that the improving attitudes to homosexuality or reducing discrimination requires people to publicly state whether they find men, women or both sexually attractive. Just seems an inherently outdated attitude itself. Who gives a shit what gender someone else likes screwing? People are, and should be free to love and fuck anyone they want to (with the usual, and vital, caveats of all parties being consenting adults) Don't see any need for a sportsperson, politician, CEO, celebrity to publicly 'come out'. You don't get people publicly 'coming out' as straight, and ultimately, what's the fucking difference? One person of gender loves, or enjoys fucking, another person of gender.

All just seems so medieval. 

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #330 on: May 18, 2022, 04:05:38 pm »
Idrissa Gueye outs himself as cuntish bigot, refusing to play in PSG's most recent game because he objected to them wearing a rainbow symbol to mark the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (which the France FA support and ask teams to show their support for)

Cheikhou Kouyate tweeted a picture of him and Gueye with 'Real Man' caption, whilst Ismaila Sarr posted "100%"

There's a twitter hashtag from his fellow homophobes #WeAreAllIdrissa

I assume they decided not to go with #WeAreAllGueye for some reason.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #331 on: May 18, 2022, 04:13:18 pm »

#WeAreAllCunts would also work.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2022, 04:18:37 pm »

I know its not really funny because its an absolutely inhuman, vile opinion to have.....but his name being pronounced Gay is still a bit funny :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2022, 05:09:02 pm »
Best of luck to lad, applaud his bravery. Should never be an issue but until we wean our species off shite like the abrahamic death cults then things wont change.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: May 18, 2022, 05:40:33 pm »

Pretty incredible (if not surprising) that someone can be seen as a spiritual hero for taking a pro-hate stand.

That being said, I hope LFC don't try making any gestures like this. I do not want to see which of our players does what Gueye did.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: May 18, 2022, 05:44:17 pm »
Yeah, not sure that the improving attitudes to homosexuality or reducing discrimination requires people to publicly state whether they find men, women or both sexually attractive. Just seems an inherently outdated attitude itself. Who gives a shit what gender someone else likes screwing? People are, and should be free to love and fuck anyone they want to (with the usual, and vital, caveats of all parties being consenting adults) Don't see any need for a sportsperson, politician, CEO, celebrity to publicly 'come out'. You don't get people publicly 'coming out' as straight, and ultimately, what's the fucking difference? One person of gender loves, or enjoys fucking, another person of gender.

All just seems so medieval.

Because it is assumed that every male footballer in the world is straight. That out of the hundreds of thousands of men who have been professional footballers there are none that are gay. That is impossible so it means lots of professional footballers hide a massive part of their existence because of fear, they are forced into hiding who they are not because they want to but because of the consequences of being themselves. This young lad has bravely chosen to break that chain to show that there are gay footballers and they can be themselves without having to hide a massive part of who they are as human beings.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2022, 06:18:10 pm »
How depressing that Gueye story is.. how utterly depressing ….
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #337 on: May 18, 2022, 06:39:53 pm »
For anyone who hasn't watched his interview.
Massive kudos to the lad.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-B4ygBi9Bpc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-B4ygBi9Bpc</a>

Best of luck kid. Hope you have great success.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #338 on: May 18, 2022, 06:55:02 pm »

:lmao

I didn't realise when the story about Jake Daniels first came out that he's only 17. Fucking hell, that's especially brave at that age, with his whole career still ahead of him. Bloody good luck to him. I really hope he is able to succeed and reach the level he deserves (no idea if he's any good as a player, mind).

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: May 18, 2022, 06:58:36 pm »
I will try to offer an alternate viewpoint with regard to Gueye.

I believe it is a day in France designated for people to be able to stand against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia. In a modern, progressive democracy, like France, it’s all par for the course.

To my knowledge, Idrissa Gueye isn’t going out of his way to be antagonistic. He hasn’t set up any alternate rally, or marched for an alternate cause, or spoken out as an anti-gay activist. (If he has, I stand corrected).

It seems to me that he just doesn’t want to be forced to do something that is against his will, against his religion (I think), and also against the law in his home country (I think).

Does he have any rights in this equation? Not rights to go against the law in France, as he lives there and can’t do that, but rights to not participate in a celebration of something he doesn’t support? 

He is a footballer who presumably just wants to go about his business and train and play football (yes, for large sums of money). Is he obliged to show his support for something that he doesn’t support?

I disagree with him, but calling him a cuntish bigot, and pro hate, just for not wanting to be involved in celebrating something that is against his cultural and religious grain, seems intolerant the other way! Why can’t we just live and let live?

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: May 18, 2022, 07:01:16 pm »

This is being represented as being as issue of respecting Gueye religious beliefs. And those attacking him are verging on islamophobia.  This issue might require a touch of tolerance on both sides

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2022, 07:04:16 pm »
This is being represented as being as issue of respecting Gueye religious beliefs. And those attacking him are verging on islamophobia.  This issue might require a touch of tolerance on both sides
No, this is the way HE interprets his faith. 

Some people are gay, he needs to get over it.  Religion is no excuse for being a bigot.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2022, 07:05:05 pm »
No, this is the way HE interprets his faith. 

Some people are gay, he needs to get over it.  Religion is no excuse for being a bigot.

This, 1000 times over.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2022, 07:06:52 pm »
I believe it is a day in France designated for people to be able to stand against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia. In a modern, progressive democracy, like France, it’s all par for the course.

With regard to Gueye, to my knowledge he isn’t going out of his way to be antagonistic. He hasn’t set up any alternate rally, or marched for an alternate cause, or spoken out as an anti-gay activist. (If he has, I stand corrected).

It seems to me that he just doesn’t want to be forced to do something that is against his will, against his religion (I think), and also against the law in his home country (I think).

Does he have any rights in this equation? Not rights to go against the law in France, as he lives there and can’t do that, but rights to not participate in a celebration of something he doesn’t support? 

He is a footballer who presumably just wants to go about his business and train and play football (yes, for large sums of money). Is he obliged to show his support for something that he doesn’t support?

I disagree with him, but calling him a cuntish bigot, and pro hate, just for not wanting to be involved in celebrating something that is against his cultural and religious grain, seems intolerant the other way! Why can’t we just live and let live?

If he comes out and says the bold bit and tells the twitter idiots to stop celebrating him, fine. I don't like his views, but he's entitled to them as long as he doesn't shove them in my face or use them against anyone else. It's also possible that he did it specifically not to get into any trouble back home.

But do yourself a non-favor and check out that hashtag on twitter. Whatever his motivation, the results have been very much pro-hate, cuntish, and bigoted.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2022, 07:23:08 pm »
How depressing that Gueye story is.. how utterly depressing ….

Its awful.  Bigotry hidden behind religion again.

Luckily for us Jordan Henderson is our captain. I take great solace in that .
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2022, 07:34:24 pm »

If he doesn't like the culture in the country where he has chosen to ply his trade - and be paid very well for doing so - he has a very simple option available to him.

There have been times in my career where the option has been available to me to go and work in the Middle East. Several friends have done so and made a lot of money from it. Unlike them, I chose never to go and work in those countries.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 07:38:17 pm by smutchin »

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2022, 08:03:08 pm »
If he doesn't like the culture in the country where he has chosen to ply his trade - and be paid very well for doing so - he has a very simple option available to him.

There have been times in my career where the option has been available to me to go and work in the Middle East. Several friends have done so and made a lot of money from it. Unlike them, I chose never to go and work in those countries.
Has he said he doesn’t like the culture of the country or anything along those lines? If the club asked Ibu, Mo or Sadio to wear a shirt with betting logos or a beer company would they too be criticised if they refused to do so?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: May 18, 2022, 08:09:06 pm »
Has he said he doesn’t like the culture of the country or anything along those lines? If the club asked Ibu, Mo or Sadio to wear a shirt with betting logos or a beer company would they too be criticised if they refused to do so?

Not quite the same as hating gay people, is it....?

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: May 18, 2022, 08:09:10 pm »

There is a difference between promoting Paddy Power or Carling and supporting equal rights.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: May 18, 2022, 08:18:05 pm »

Being opposed to gambling or alcohol doesn't affect the esteem or rights of another human being. Terrible analogy.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2022, 08:19:17 pm »
Has he said he doesn’t like the culture of the country or anything along those lines?

The culture of the country is to be accepting of homosexuality. He is explicitly refusing to acknowledge that.

If the club asked Ibu, Mo or Sadio to wear a shirt with betting logos or a beer company would they too be criticised if they refused to do so?

I'm sure they would. Has anything like that ever happened?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2022, 08:24:52 pm »

Nah. It's superstitious bigotry. Religious beliefs cannot ever trump the basic human rights of a person. A gay person is gay from birth, it isn't something they decided upon or were indoctrinated with. It's not something they can abandon or change.

And you can have distaste for Islam without being islamophobic. I hold it in the same regard to all religions, to be honest.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #352 on: May 18, 2022, 08:25:18 pm »
Not similar but look ar
I'm sure they would. Has anything like that ever happened?

All I can think of is James McClean refusing to wear a poppy and became public enemy number one with all of the Ingerlund wankers.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: May 18, 2022, 08:41:28 pm »
Does Gueye have any rights in this case?

We are dropping lots of extreme words like hatred, bigot, and so on.

As far as I can tell he just doesn’t want to be forced into celebrating or promoting something he disagrees with.

Are we at the point where, even if we disagree with his stance, we won’t allow it?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: May 18, 2022, 08:44:21 pm »

As far as I can tell he just doesn’t want to be forced into celebrating or promoting something he disagrees with.

Are we at the point where, even if we disagree with his stance, we won’t allow it?

Your rights cannot impinge upon that of another person. Dismissing the rights of someone to lawfully practice their own sexuality is, unequivocally, bigotry.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: May 18, 2022, 08:50:53 pm »
Your rights cannot impinge upon that of another person. Dismissing the rights of someone to lawfully practice their own sexuality is, unequivocally, bigotry.

People can, and do, practice their sexuality in France, per the law of the land. Gueye isn’t prohibiting that, nor campaigning to change it. He is not taking anyone’s rights away. Not that he has the authority to anyway.

Apparently (not that I’ve talked with him!) he just doesn’t want to celebrate and promote something he disagrees with.

Personally I think he has the right to do that, even if I disagree with his stance.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: May 18, 2022, 08:55:41 pm »

Do you think what he has done shows bigotry against gay people?
W

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: May 18, 2022, 08:58:07 pm »
People can, and do, practice their sexuality in France, per the law of the land. Gueye isn’t prohibiting that, nor campaigning to change it. He is not taking anyone’s rights away. Not that he has the authority to anyway.

Apparently (not that I’ve talked with him!) he just doesn’t want to celebrate and promote something he disagrees with.

Personally I think he has the right to do that, even if I disagree with his stance.

The rainbow campaign is designed to promote LGBT equality. He doesn't want to promote LGBT equality. What reason could he have for that other than he doesn't believe LGBT people should not be treated equally? Accusations of bigotry are completely justified.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: May 18, 2022, 09:12:12 pm »
Do you think what he has done shows bigotry against gay people?

He may or may not be bigoted.

I see bigotry connected to hatred or disdain

Whilst people aren't born alcoholics

IF we had a Carlsberg event, Mane may not want to attend, this doesn't mean that perhaps Mane hates or has disdain for all drinkers, because he doesn't want to celebrate it. He may believe he is pleasing His God this way, by taking this stance, maybe we don't get to dictate how muslims should read the Koran, in this instance, maybe in other areas it would be different

The lack of tolerance and snap conclusions from many people who might call themselves liberal is unfortunate
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:15:28 pm by markmywords »

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: May 18, 2022, 09:20:24 pm »
I haven’t got a clue about what Gueye thinks as I don’t know the fella!

Still, from afar, his religion and the law of the land of his home country appear to be at odds with what he is being forced to promote and celebrate in France.

We seem to want an all or nothing approach in this situation. If you are not with us you are against us. That sort of thing. Perhaps it is more nuanced, and we are unnecessarily trying to make an example out of him?

Maybe he’s just a fella who plays football, trains, earns money, and just wants a quiet life?
Maybe he doesn’t see himself as an activist?
Maybe he feels manipulated into doing things he didn’t sign up to do?
Maybe his stance is a quiet observation of his religion? Not personally imposing anything on anyone, but quietly being true to his own conscience?
Maybe he is thinking about the shit he might get back home in Senegal? It is culturally different to France!
Maybe he is thinking about how his family might be regarded back home and he is trying to protect them?
Maybe there’s a homophobic Imam with a big club who is going to go round to his Ma’s house?

Like I say, I don’t know the fella, but there might be lots of things he could be thinking. 

Serious comment: I support the right of a fella to not participate in something.

He is not campaigning to change the law in France or take anyone’s rights away. It’s a storm in a teacup, but my observation is the level of tolerance directed toward Idrissa Gueye is minimal.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:25:21 pm by G Richards »