Author Topic: Gay Footballers  (Read 48840 times)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Gay Footballers
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2021, 10:35:55 am »
Klopp is just amazing. Not just a quick sound bite but a proper genuine interesting chat. Gonna go get some of those laces.

He is incredible in these situations, he’s so attentive in these interviews, properly listening and engaged.

Like you say, not some little short promo, but sitting down and chatting and not needing an interviewer in the middle to conduct it.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2021, 10:54:46 am »
Obviously Klopp is fantastic, on every issue actually, but what an impressive person Meikayla is.  A real role model.  When she talks about education a lot of those Twitter users should take notice.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2022, 05:39:21 pm »
Jake Daniels: Blackpool forward becomes UK's first active male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay

"I told my mum and my sister. The day after we played Accrington and I scored four, so it just shows how much of a weight off the shoulders it was and a massive relief."

Blackpool forward Jake Daniels speaks exclusively on becoming the UK's first male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay since Justin Fashanu.

Jake talks about coming out to his parents, his club, and his team-mates. On his desire to be honest and live his life without telling a lie. On the anxiety of wondering if his family and team-mates would be supportive and on how he hopes his actions can help others do the same.

This is his story:

Now is the right time to do it. I feel like I am ready to tell people my story. I want people to know the real me.

I have been thinking for a long time about how I want to do it, when I want to do it. I know now is the time. I am ready to be myself, be free and be confident with it all.

I can't really put a date on it, but I was probably five or six years old when I knew I was gay. So it's been a long time that I have been living with the lie.

At that age you don't really think that football and being gay doesn't mix. You just think, one day, when I'm older I'll get a girlfriend and I will change and it will be fine.

But as you get older you realise you can't just change. It doesn't work like that.

I did have girlfriends in the past, to try and make all my mates think I was straight, but it was just a massive cover-up. In school people even used to ask me: "Are you sure you aren't gay?". And I would reply, "no, I'm not".

I wasn't ready and it was a struggle but I just don't want to lie any more.

For a long time I've thought I would have to hide my truth because I wanted to be, and now I am, a professional footballer. I asked myself if I should wait until I've retired to come out. No other player in the professional game here is out.

However, I knew that would lead to a long time of lying and not being able to be myself or lead the life that I want to.

Since I've come out to my family, my club and my team-mates, that period of overthinking everything and the stress it created has gone. It was impacting my mental heath. Now I am just confident and happy to be myself finally.

I first told my mum and my sister, who I live with. "Yeah, we already knew," was how they reacted.

Then we told my whole family and at this point I was quite scared because I didn't know how the older generation might react.

I needn't have worried. I've had so many messages saying, "we are proud and we are supportive." It's been amazing. I couldn't have wished for it to go better.

The day after I told my mum and sister, we played Accrington [in an under-18s fixture] and I scored four goals, so it just shows how much of a weight off the shoulders and what a massive relief it was.

And Blackpool have been absolutely amazing too. I am with them every day and I felt safe. My team-mates have all been so supportive about it and everyone has had my back. They've been asking tons of questions, they have all been intrigued and their reaction has been brilliant. It's the best thing I could have asked for.

Of course, everyone was kind of shocked in a way and they were asking why I didn't tell them earlier. That was a great reaction because it showed how much they cared.

The captain was one of the main people I told and he also asked me loads of questions. In the end he just said, "I'm just so proud of you". It meant so much.

I like it when people ask questions. I just want to get it all out and for people to hear my story.

It's been quite a crazy year. I'm 17. I've signed a professional contract. I've scored 30 goals this season and I've just made my first team debut in the Championship, coming off the bench against Peterborough.

And now I have decided to come out.

Everything has happened at once but it feels right. When this season started, I just wanted to prove myself as a player. I think I have. So this was the one last thing in my head that I knew I needed to do. Now it's out, and people know. Now I can just live my life how I want to and you know what? It's been incredible.

The subject of being gay, or bi or queer in men's football is still a taboo. I think it comes down to how a lot of footballers want to be known for their masculinity. And people see being gay as being weak, something you can be picked on for on the football field.

Of course I am aware that there will be a reaction to this and some of it will be homophobic, maybe in a stadium and on social media.

It's an easy thing for people to target. The way I see it is that I am playing football and they are shouting stuff at me, but they are paying to watch me play football and I am living my life and making money from it. So shout what you want, it's not going to make a difference.

I won't stop people from saying that stuff, I just need to learn how to not let it affect me.

I am hoping that by coming out, I can be a role model, to help others come out if they want to. I am only 17 but I am clear that this is what I want to do and if, by me coming out, other people look at me and feel maybe they can do it as well, that would be brilliant.

If they think this kid is brave enough do this, I will be able to do it too.

I hate knowing people are in the same situation I was in. I think if a Premier League footballer does come out that would just be amazing. I feel like I would have done my job and inspired someone else to do that. I just want it to go up from here. We shouldn't be where we are right now.

I know that every situation is different and that there are a lot of different factors for other people to consider that will scare them a lot, especially in football.

And if you think you are ready, then speak to people. I know that's such a hard thing to do, it was a hard thing for me to do, but just speak to the closest people around you, you are going to get support you need.

Jake Daniels posted an open letter on Blackpool's website.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12614531/jake-daniels-blackpool-forward-becomes-uks-first-active-male-professional-footballer-to-come-out-publicly-as-gay
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2022, 05:40:05 pm »
If you're thinking of posting "but why does he need to tell everyone tho", do us all a favour and just don't. Ta.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2022, 05:42:05 pm »
Well done Jake. Hopefully others follow suit and don't have to hide who they are because of a few scumbags  :wellin :wellin
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2022, 05:42:47 pm »
Good luck to him  :wave
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #286 on: May 16, 2022, 05:42:58 pm »
If you're thinking of posting "but why does he need to tell everyone tho", do us all a favour and just don't. Ta.

I started reading that thinking his name was Jack Daniels (which would also be absolutely ok  ;D ).

I think it’s great, just the mere fact he says what a weight off his shoulders it is makes it a wonderful thing.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2022, 05:43:55 pm »
Impressive statement from him given how young he is. Good luck to him.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2022, 05:55:20 pm »
Good on him and great statement, totally defuses the issue.  No doubt somebody’ll end up fucking it up, but I really can’t imagine him getting a hard time over this, people especially of his age have moved on long ago afaict.  Can’t stand all the handwringing about how awful football fans are, like we’re a different species.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2022, 05:57:45 pm »
Wow, big news and only 17 as well. Best of luck to him.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2022, 06:01:08 pm »
Well done to the lad. This is such a brave thing to do. He and his family should be proud. 

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #291 on: May 16, 2022, 06:04:17 pm »
Takes a hell of a lot of guts that…

I hope we’re at the point where any abuse won’t be on a large scale…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: May 16, 2022, 06:08:51 pm »
Brave boy, can’t be easy coming out even with a normal life nevermind in the world of professional football, he deserves all our support. Hopefully this gives strength to others worried about coming out.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2022, 06:15:15 pm »
Wish him and - acknowledging their support of him - Blackpool well for the future. Representation is crucial, but it must take so much to put yourself out there and I'm sure none of us would begrudge any the reasons for choosing not to do so.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2022, 06:22:03 pm »
Fair play to him. Hopefully starts a trend as no need for discrimination of any kind in this day and age.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2022, 06:28:24 pm »
Shouldn’t even be a news story. Good on him for coming out.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2022, 06:31:59 pm »
Best of luck to the kid.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #297 on: May 16, 2022, 06:35:24 pm »
So very proud of him. He's still a child and willing to take on a sometimes very cruel world. I hope his strength enables others to do the same.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2022, 06:38:01 pm »
Fair play to the lad, takes a lot of bravery to come out, never mind coming out as a gay man while a professional footballer, the gammons at away grounds will try to wind him up, but they're shithouses anyway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #299 on: May 16, 2022, 06:38:28 pm »
A very mature young man, it's a really impressive statement from him. I hope it works out for him and he gets any support should he need it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #300 on: May 16, 2022, 06:41:30 pm »
Shocked that it's someone so young, starting his career, really brave move.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: May 16, 2022, 06:44:25 pm »
It could only be someone so young. This generation has no time for bullshit and living in fear all their life.

Well done.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2022, 06:44:51 pm »
Shouldn’t even be a news story. Good on him for coming out.
We still have a long way to go as a species, am afraid, but people like this lad will hopefully change how we treat each other. At the end of the day self-acceptance is key.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2022, 06:53:38 pm »
Good one there mate. Wishing you the best of everything.

Ignore the inbreds. People will love you for what you do on the pitch.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: May 16, 2022, 07:17:28 pm »
Honestly I think it's great that it's news.

I mean if the lad has only came out because of the fear of being exposed and not being able to live life how he wants, then yes it's sad he feels he has to announce it if he would rather not reveal himself to the world like that.

But if he's came out because he's happy to be an inspiration and is proud of who he is, it's a brilliant news story. I will always be happy to see something in the news like this that can inspire others and make them more comfortable being themselves.

Something like sexuality as well, I feel like you could theoretically live in the most open and progressive society in the world with no homophobia, and it could still be a very difficult and confusing thing to go through just in your own head. So to say it out loud, to be heard, will always be very empowering to yourself and others.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #305 on: May 16, 2022, 07:21:05 pm »
Really courageous thing to do at 17.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:23:04 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Syntexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: May 16, 2022, 07:23:51 pm »
Its about time someone finally came out in football, but that it was a 17 year old that did it is just so brave! Maybe I am thinking wrong, young people today grow up with a different view and level of acceptancy than in the past so maybe it had to be someone from his generation. Either way, so happy for the lad not having to live a lie and so happy for the support from his family, teammates and club! Made me a bit emotional this, that football can still be about something wonderful and not just money or imagewashing.

He will surely face gobshites, but those who arent will have to shut them up!

YNWA!!

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #307 on: May 16, 2022, 07:50:52 pm »
Maybe one day it won't be seen as 'brave' when someone does this. I live in hope  :)

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: May 16, 2022, 07:56:03 pm »
He came across as a very mature and impressive lad, especially given how young he is.

Fair play to Blackpool, who seem to have handled his situation sensibly and sensitively, and have created an environment where a lad of 17 feels able to take a step like this.

Wish him nothing but luck. Hope he's able to ignore the inevitable dickheads and goes on to great things.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2022, 10:05:54 pm »
Shame to have to say this, but good timing too with the end of the season. He won’t need to face any immediate reaction from a crowd etc (the dickheads are out there). The news will move on and many will probably even forget by the time he’s playing competitive football again. But he will be so pleased to get it out there and not have to live a secret life because he wants to be a footballer.

Blackpool have clearly supported him well.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #310 on: May 16, 2022, 10:17:49 pm »
Says it all looking at the sky sports instagram that their two posts about Jake both have comments disabled

Still a long way to go but you can’t understate how brave this is, right at the start of his career. Can only echo what others say, hopefully soon this won’t even be relevant or a news story

Well done lad

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2022, 10:18:32 pm »
Get in lad, we’ll done. Bet he feels a million times better for it, and it sounds like he has a great support network around him at Blackpool and home.

Fingers crossed this brave young man has taken the first steps towards more footballers being able to follow suit, because there will be scores of footballers out there shouldering the burden of feeling like they can’t come out as gay. I am sure the vast majority of fans, players and people within the game will support them and those who don’t really don’t matter.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2022, 10:22:41 pm »
Good on him, but football largely is still in the dark ages.

Some engerlund fans with 6 pints of pre match stella with give him dogs abuse.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2022, 12:35:11 am »
For anyone who hasn't watched his interview.
Massive kudos to the lad.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-B4ygBi9Bpc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-B4ygBi9Bpc</a>

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2022, 12:36:37 am »
The fact that this is even a story tells us just how far football (and much of society) has yet to catch up with the 21st century.

I wish Jake all the best. He'll witness quite a few people outing themselves as bigoted gobshites from now on, but I hope he can take solace from the fact that the problems are all theirs, and he's more of a man than they'll ever be.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: May 17, 2022, 12:40:35 am »
Madness that a fair few of the leading women's footballers like Megan Rapinoe and Samantha Kerr are openly gay and have been for a long time, but we still have this problem with male players coming forward like this young man.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: May 17, 2022, 12:41:47 am »
Takes a hell of a lot of guts that…

I hope we’re at the point where any abuse won’t be on a large scale…

I hope I live to see the day that being gay, bi, queer, trans doesn’t matter and people are just allowed to live their lives.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: May 17, 2022, 04:43:00 am »
What a well spoken kid.  All the best to him and his career. 

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: May 17, 2022, 04:50:34 am »
Well Done Jake. Best of Luck to him in his career

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #319 on: May 17, 2022, 06:10:16 am »
Fair play and good luck to him. Here's hoping at some point it won't be something that has to be hidden for fear of abuse.
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart