Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 809423 times)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #19200 on: October 4, 2023, 04:19:52 pm »
Booked Pisa half the weekend of my good ladies big birthday.

She's doing the full and it's absolutely the kind of thing she'd want to do her birthday weekend.

Bangor half at the weekend

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #19201 on: October 8, 2023, 09:01:07 pm »
Absolute insane 5km splits thrown out by Kiptum at the end of the Chicago marathon to smash Kipchoge’s world record by 30’s!

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19202 on: October 9, 2023, 02:38:46 pm »
Absolute insane 5km splits thrown out by Kiptum at the end of the Chicago marathon to smash Kipchoge’s world record by 30’s!

Rewatched the race. The 2 5km splits from 30-40km are just bonkers. This is like when Usain Bolt or Rudisha emerged. Just a baby in distance running terms too. Took nearly 3 minutes out of the rest of the field in the last 12k. Perfect conditions n'all helped, but it's really hard to wrap your head around.

Pity Kipchoge isn't 5 years younger for the Olympics next year
« Last Edit: October 9, 2023, 02:41:52 pm by Jean Girard »
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #19203 on: October 9, 2023, 05:47:53 pm »
Kiptum’s race was indeed incredible. 13:51 5km split past 30km is mind-boggling. You have to think that at Vienna or Berlin 2024, weather permitting, that Kiptum will give us all the first official sub-2 hour marathon. It is indeed a shame that Kipchoge is at the end of his career.

I will watch Kiptum’s progression eagerly. He’s so young for a marathon runner, there’s a lot of chatter about whether he can continue on an upwards trajectory without the traditional escalation of distances that we usually see from middle distance to endurance.

On my not at all Kiptum-like training, I took a rest week where I did a few gentle, easy jogs but no training, to give my body a bit of a break. I worked a bit more in the gym on strength and then went out for a run this morning very early before work. Felt good, felt strong, rolled my ankle 1km from home in a pothole and it’s now a bit tender and swollen. So frustrating. I’m keeping off it but I do reckon it’s minimum a week off, maybe longer, we’ll see how the ankle reacts.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19204 on: October 9, 2023, 08:16:42 pm »

I will watch Kiptum’s progression eagerly. He’s so young for a marathon runner, there’s a lot of chatter about whether he can continue on an upwards trajectory without the traditional escalation of distances that we usually see from middle distance to endurance.

Ever read Adharanand Finn's book about Japanese long distance running? They're the third most successful marathon running nation on earth or something. There's a whole chapter of the book about how many lads they generally have each year who have run sub-62 half's by the age of 21-22 and then how many of them burn out or retire injured by their late 20s. It's pretty interesting in relation to your comment above.  Love to know more about how Kiptum is training etc. Another 30 seconds doesn't feel insurmountable after what I watched earlier. 

He's blown my mind a bit this summer. If the Olympics weren't going to upend the calendar a little bit next summer, I'd say 2 hours is defo going to be broken. But I suppose it's still 7 weeks before Berlin. 

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19205 on: October 16, 2023, 06:32:25 am »
Girard, I haven’t but I’ll definitely look to, sounds fascinating and right up my alley. I did watch a documentary recently about Yuki Kawauchi, a high level Japanese marathoner who was still in a full time white collar job when he won the 2018 Boston Marathon, beating the high level field in dreadful conditions (that helped him and hindered others). Madness.

A bad week for me - last Monday I decided to go out early, before work. There something about getting the first miles on the board before I’ve even sat down at my desk. In the darkness, even with a head torch, I didn’t see a bad pothole and jarred my ankle in one, rolling it in the process. After a week’s healing I am put my full weight through it and drive again, but there’s still significant bruising and soreness on the top of the foot. I reckon it might be another week before I can run.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #19206 on: October 16, 2023, 08:14:47 am »
ooooh tough break

sorry to hear
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19207 on: October 16, 2023, 12:01:00 pm »
Another one for Finn's books.

His Running With the Kenyans was great too.

Tough break Sangria, have you seen anyone or just rest and ice?

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19208 on: October 16, 2023, 03:23:26 pm »
Unlucky with the injury Sangria.

Completed my first ever Marathon in Amsterdam yesterday.

Not the best weather conditions with hail and squally showers but the Dutch spectators were amazing cheering on the 16000 runners. Half of those were foreign and the Brits making up biggest contingent 😊.

3.48.17 Chip time happy with that.

Legs are shredded today though!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19209 on: October 17, 2023, 02:29:07 pm »
good lad

great milestone and time

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19210 on: October 18, 2023, 09:10:26 am »
In the darkness, even with a head torch, I didn’t see a bad pothole and jarred my ankle in one, rolling it in the process. After a week’s healing I am put my full weight through it and drive again, but there’s still significant bruising and soreness on the top of the foot. I reckon it might be another week before I can run.

Nothing worse than an injury that isn't really your fault. 

Another one for Finn's books.

His Running With the Kenyans was great too.

Yeah I love that book too. Hard not to feel sorry for his family in parts of it the mad fecker.

Read his Ultramarathon book and Born To Run in quick succession about 3 years ago. Both started a chain of events and ultimately an obsession that led me to running a 50 miler 3 weeks ago. Really loved it too and did quite well, can see why people say it's addictive. My body is still a bit slammed after it but can't wait to give it another go.

Completed my first ever Marathon in Amsterdam yesterday.

Not the best weather conditions with hail and squally showers but the Dutch spectators were amazing cheering on the 16000 runners. Half of those were foreign and the Brits making up biggest contingent 😊.

3.48.17 Chip time happy with that.

Congrats! Very jealous of all the marathon posts on Strava at the minute too. What's the course like?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:16:00 am by Jean Girard »

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19211 on: October 18, 2023, 12:43:27 pm »
Nothing worse than an injury that isn't really your fault. 

Yeah I love that book too. Hard not to feel sorry for his family in parts of it the mad fecker.

Read his Ultramarathon book and Born To Run in quick succession about 3 years ago. Both started a chain of events and ultimately an obsession that led me to running a 50 miler 3 weeks ago. Really loved it too and did quite well, can see why people say it's addictive. My body is still a bit slammed after it but can't wait to give it another go.

Congrats! Very jealous of all the marathon posts on Strava at the minute too. What's the course like?

Flat as a pancake as you can imagine hence why I chose it as my first marathon. You start off and finish in the Olympic Stadium which is just Ace, quite a bit along the canals sovery scenic as well.

There was a bit around 18 miles which went through a bit of a industrial area so was sparsely spectated but apart from that great support through the whole race.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19212 on: October 18, 2023, 02:34:50 pm »
Flat as a pancake as you can imagine hence why I chose it as my first marathon. You start off and finish in the Olympic Stadium which is just Ace, quite a bit along the canals sovery scenic as well.

There was a bit around 18 miles which went through a bit of a industrial area so was sparsely spectated but apart from that great support through the whole race.
i would say you felt it along there, I dont know Amsterdam that well but was told before by someones whos run about 6 marathons
"it only starts at mile 18"

So for few people to be there it will make it worse, you do need the support

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19213 on: November 13, 2023, 03:54:01 pm »
Thanks for all the concern, I stayed away from running threads etc for a few weeks because it just makes me resentful I can’t run, as petty as that may sound! I’m back at it now though. Had to have around 3 weeks off before coming back with some gentle running. I’ve had enforced breaks before but never felt my fitness diminish so much so quickly. First session back, a 2 x 3.2km with a 3 minute float, pace intended around 03:45/km was a disaster, dying off in the second set and needing to stop for an additional 30 seconds unplanned rest. Since that disappointment I’ve started base building again and am back up to around 35 miles a week, with 40 planned this week.

This past week my club has been running a virtual mile challenge as part of an intra-club competition. Some good prizes available like Soar gear or vouchers for sports shoes etc. I had three goes over the past week and it reaffirms to me that 1500m is one of the most horrible distances to race. You basically have to sprint. After a disappointing 05:11 on my first attempt (with sub-optimal incline and a bonfire filling my lungs) I gave it another go and went 05:06. The club then had a ‘last chance’ event where people could do it together, staggered based on presumed finish time so that theoretically everyone finished at the same time. This helped me massively, we have one superb runner at the club who was the only one starting after me, and hearing his footsteps the whole way round kept me dogged. Finished in 04:58 (actually flat and in Vaporflys this time) which ended being the second best time at the club, but not by any close measure as the winner posted 04:39 (albeit not as part of the collective attempt and having never ran a recorded time that would suggest he’s close to that quick, but either way…).

The best women’s time was the one I found to be the most impressive as our best lady went 05:16 which is incredible. Was all good fun anyway, and my second placed voucher was quickly allocated towards the upcoming Black Friday sales where I’m hoping I can get my hands on either some Boston 12s or Adios Pro 3s at a good discount.

40 miles planned for the week, 10 done today as I had the day off with banked hours at work. Back to normal tomorrow but going to give Parkrun a good go on Saturday and use it as a benchmark run.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19214 on: November 14, 2023, 10:43:50 am »
Thanks for all the concern, I stayed away from running threads etc for a few weeks because it just makes me resentful I can’t run, as petty as that may sound! I’m back at it now though. Had to have around 3 weeks off before coming back with some gentle running. I’ve had enforced breaks before but never felt my fitness diminish so much so quickly. First session back, a 2 x 3.2km with a 3 minute float, pace intended around 03:45/km was a disaster, dying off in the second set and needing to stop for an additional 30 seconds unplanned rest. Since that disappointment I’ve started base building again and am back up to around 35 miles a week, with 40 planned this week.

This past week my club has been running a virtual mile challenge as part of an intra-club competition. Some good prizes available like Soar gear or vouchers for sports shoes etc. I had three goes over the past week and it reaffirms to me that 1500m is one of the most horrible distances to race. You basically have to sprint. After a disappointing 05:11 on my first attempt (with sub-optimal incline and a bonfire filling my lungs) I gave it another go and went 05:06. The club then had a ‘last chance’ event where people could do it together, staggered based on presumed finish time so that theoretically everyone finished at the same time. This helped me massively, we have one superb runner at the club who was the only one starting after me, and hearing his footsteps the whole way round kept me dogged. Finished in 04:58 (actually flat and in Vaporflys this time) which ended being the second best time at the club, but not by any close measure as the winner posted 04:39 (albeit not as part of the collective attempt and having never ran a recorded time that would suggest he’s close to that quick, but either way…).

The best women’s time was the one I found to be the most impressive as our best lady went 05:16 which is incredible. Was all good fun anyway, and my second placed voucher was quickly allocated towards the upcoming Black Friday sales where I’m hoping I can get my hands on either some Boston 12s or Adios Pro 3s at a good discount.

40 miles planned for the week, 10 done today as I had the day off with banked hours at work. Back to normal tomorrow but going to give Parkrun a good go on Saturday and use it as a benchmark run.

Good to hear you are back running.

You will soon catch up as you have a good aerobic base.

Offline Mahern

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19215 on: November 20, 2023, 01:38:55 pm »
Want to get back into running. Was always quite good, but have always struggled with achilles. Using stability type shoes has been better in the past, any recommendations on a good support shoe for over-pronation?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19216 on: November 20, 2023, 05:30:36 pm »
Just had an email through about an ultramarathon event in my borough of London. There’s a 50k route (no thanks!) or a 25k one (possibly). Mix of trail, towpaths, some roads/pavements.

Sounds quite tempting. Never run more than a half but it’s ‘only’ another 4k right? For anyone who’s done something similar, does the change of surfaces make it tougher on the legs than just doing a road race?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19217 on: November 20, 2023, 05:31:09 pm »
Want to get back into running. Was always quite good, but have always struggled with achilles. Using stability type shoes has been better in the past, any recommendations on a good support shoe for over-pronation?

I ran in Nike Structures for a long time that really helped. They discontinued them,.then brought them back but it's no longer a stability shoe as I read Nike are focusing on developing different carbon plate shoes to flog to fellas running a thirty minute parkrun.

I run in On Cloudstratus with no issues (apart from my declining running ability).

They are Pricey though. The best thing you can do is go to a running store, explain and try on some brands on a treadmill.

If we were all the same, they'd not be so many shoe manufacturers out there.

Ran my third Conwy half marathon this weekend the final leg of the four castle series in North Wales.

The previous two times (2015,2016) I was significantly fitter than I am now, so knew I was breaking no personal records on this course.

The conditions didn't really help. Rain and wind pretty much all throughout the race (even the mile walk from the hotel to the start line). I can only describe as conditions on the Great Orme as fucking disgusting. Running into head on wind and rain going up the Orme ranks as one of the all time worst parts of a race (similarly running in July heat up Snowdon is also up there).

I actually felt pretty OK for large parts and honestly feel without the conditions I'd have managed a good few minutes quicker.

Sanremo in Italy in a couple of weeks, then Pisa two weeks after that as the missus is 40 this December and she obviously wants a running holiday (well two) as a celebration.

Then the liverbird double on NYE/NYD for some reason I'm back again on otterspool prom .

I think that means come new year's Day I'll be on 40 half marathons, which is frankly fucking stupid.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19218 on: November 24, 2023, 07:19:40 am »
Mark, most of my club ran the Conwy half, as did my partner. She said the same as yourself and how the elements just sapped her horribly. Looking at the breakdown, I think around the 7th mile there’s 58m of incline as part of the ascent up the Orme, just brutal. Some really good runners at my club finished miles off what they’re capable of over that distance.

Been focusing on volume of late. Did get sucked into the Black Friday sales and picked up a pair of Boston 12s for around £110 given my Hoka Cliftons are seemingly fucked after little over 100 miles. Staggeringly poor durability. Tried them out last night and enjoyed them. Wilmslow Festive 10km for me this weekend, but I’m pacing a club mate to 39:59.

My targets for 2024:

Sub 17:00 5km
Sub 35:00 10km
Sub 01:20 HM

We’ll see.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19219 on: November 29, 2023, 04:07:35 pm »
Just had an email through about an ultramarathon event in my borough of London. There’s a 50k route (no thanks!) or a 25k one (possibly). Mix of trail, towpaths, some roads/pavements.

Sounds quite tempting. Never run more than a half but it’s ‘only’ another 4k right? For anyone who’s done something similar, does the change of surfaces make it tougher on the legs than just doing a road race?

Actually it makes it a bit easier I think, Nick. Certainly more forgiving on the body as until you get good at trails there's less emphasis on trying to run fast, and obviously there's less pounding on concrete. I recommend getting some trail shoes and having a go.  I'd take trails over roads all day long, to be honest - you run in nicer places, and the variation makes it more of a fun experience, the time flies.  Plus in trail races it's a bit more acceptable to have a walk when you come to a big hill, and there's definitely more sweets/socialising involved during the races etc.

As for the extra 4km - you won't be as fast on a trail so you'll be longer on your feet - but 4k isn't a big deal. I'd say have a go, but do as much of your training on trails and the surfaces you'll be running on as possible.

What's the race? 

Signed up for an 84k trail race myself. Trying to find the perfect moment to tell my wife.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 04:09:59 pm by Jean Girard »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19220 on: November 30, 2023, 02:55:13 pm »
Mark, most of my club ran the Conwy half, as did my partner. She said the same as yourself and how the elements just sapped her horribly. Looking at the breakdown, I think around the 7th mile there’s 58m of incline as part of the ascent up the Orme, just brutal. Some really good runners at my club finished miles off what they’re capable of over that distance.

Been focusing on volume of late. Did get sucked into the Black Friday sales and picked up a pair of Boston 12s for around £110 given my Hoka Cliftons are seemingly fucked after little over 100 miles. Staggeringly poor durability. Tried them out last night and enjoyed them. Wilmslow Festive 10km for me this weekend, but I’m pacing a club mate to 39:59.

My targets for 2024:

We’ll see.

Lad, the incline was the least of my issues, I've only ran in conditions as bad as that a few times. Honestly doesn't seem sane it went ahead in reality

Online Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19221 on: December 4, 2023, 09:14:20 pm »

My targets for 2024:

We’ll see.

Those are some good targets!

Think I’m going to have to try and get my times in early in the year! I typically seem to peak in February to March and get good times, fade away and then have a brief autumn flourish. Got a little one due at the end of March so think that’s even more the case this time.

Keen to really nail a good parkrun time I think. Haven’t hit sub 18.30 since covid - recently got back below 18.40, so anything in the 18.20s would be lovely. Got my PB at Retford in the half just before Covid so keen to see if I can get back in the 1:26/27 space. Then probably just plod round when I get the chance.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19222 on: December 22, 2023, 05:12:22 pm »
Two halves in Italy two weeks apart.

Sanremo was a warm run..it's basically on a cycle path along the front. Sanremo is about 50 minutes from Nice but it's kind of a low key, cheap Italian sea front town.

Perfectly pleasant and ran a relaxed half.

This weekend just gone we went to Pisa, I was unaware how small it is. Go up the tower and along the walls and that's sort of it.

Ran well (for me recently, almost no actual training) so finished strong and sneaked in under 2:11 with no training and still with plenty left.

I've now looked at next year and have a few 13.1 races booked, but the missus has got us doing Milton Keynes in May. (We live in Birmingham) so targeting that. I'm in Liverpool doing the liverbird double over new year's then will look to try and target some actual training before Milton Keynes in May.

We are looking at another mad one in November. She's half fillipino so has always wanted to run a full in Manilla (her birthplace) and rock n roll are doing one of their weekends there again..

35 degree heat, race starting at 2am makes Phuket seem like a jog.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19223 on: December 27, 2023, 02:59:39 pm »
Booked Stafford, Brum and the Big Half in London plus the full one in Lisbon.

Got a few more in mind but will decide later.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19224 on: January 1, 2024, 09:09:53 am »
Mark - lovely to hear you’ve done some running away from these shores, I too was shocked by Pisa’s lack of size!

I was in New York last month and squeezed a few runs in around Central Park, lovely place to get some easy miles done and packed with runners.

Spent about £100 last night booking races, starting with a relatively local one to me (well, less than an hour’s drive) with the Alsager 5 in February. I’m doing some club cross country stuff before that but nothing that I’m looking at targeting.

Harryc, I’ve booked Stafford too.

40 minute tempo yesterday brought up my biggest mileage week in 3 years. Body seems okay albeit legs are tired. 12 miles today to get the long run out of the way before the drive to Anfield tonight and work commences again.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19225 on: January 1, 2024, 03:30:50 pm »
I can't remember much about Stafford apart from the t shirt situation at the end where they only had XXL left. I took one, but it was too big even for me.

Didn't run the NYD liverbird today..the wind was horrible last night and my mum hasn't been well over Christmas so went to see her

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19226 on: January 1, 2024, 10:47:32 pm »
Right. I'm getting back into it. I couldn't trust my achilles for a long while, so I started cycling, but I did pretty much nothing in 2023. Let's see how long it takes me to get back into shape. If I can... but i'm posting here as I know it will give me a kick up the arse.

Hope you're all doing well.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19227 on: January 2, 2024, 09:54:07 am »
Right. I'm getting back into it. I couldn't trust my achilles for a long while, so I started cycling, but I did pretty much nothing in 2023. Let's see how long it takes me to get back into shape. If I can... but i'm posting here as I know it will give me a kick up the arse.

Hope you're all doing well.

You don't need any advice from me mate. But slow and steady build up.

If you feel up for it, we'll be back in Chester for the 10k in March

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19228 on: January 5, 2024, 07:32:37 pm »
You don't need any advice from me mate. But slow and steady build up.

If you feel up for it, we'll be back in Chester for the 10k in March

Nah, that is good advice. I can't expect to be knocking out 5-5:30 miles like back in the day... 

I'm just going to do jogs for now until they get easier. May throw in some strides after the first month.

That would be cool, the 10K. I won't be in any great shape I don't think, but it would be fun.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19229 on: January 14, 2024, 08:43:30 am »
Got a 5 mile road race end of this month that I’m building into and will taper for the last week. Hit a 50 mile week yesterday for the first time in a long time. Doing less sessions and a lot more easy running seems to make me more productive in the sessions I do, and is yielding better results.

This week was 8 x 4 minutes off a minute, at 10k race pace. Reps were at around 03:20/km pace and consistent. The group I’ve been training with has some phenomenal runners (sub 30 min 10ks etc) so it’s been a good kick up the backside.

Yesterday was a 20 minute tempo, probably one of my favourite sessions. Covered 5.4km inside the 20 minutes and felt pretty comfortable all the way round on a pretty flat course.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19230 on: January 14, 2024, 11:46:10 pm »
Got a 5 mile road race end of this month that I’m building into and will taper for the last week. Hit a 50 mile week yesterday for the first time in a long time. Doing less sessions and a lot more easy running seems to make me more productive in the sessions I do, and is yielding better results.

This week was 8 x 4 minutes off a minute, at 10k race pace. Reps were at around 03:20/km pace and consistent. The group I’ve been training with has some phenomenal runners (sub 30 min 10ks etc) so it’s been a good kick up the backside.

Yesterday was a 20 minute tempo, probably one of my favourite sessions. Covered 5.4km inside the 20 minutes and felt pretty comfortable all the way round on a pretty flat course.

Keep it up. The easy miles are important.

I used to do similar reps, 3 to 3:20, on my own. Much better with others though as you can replicate that race feeling, but I knew if I could keep the pace on my own then I could do it in a race. Until my achilles went when I started running twice some days.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:50:10 pm by Peabee »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19231 on: January 15, 2024, 03:00:38 pm »
Christmas kind of got in the way, week before I managed a 12k one day and a 10k the next, needed it as mentally I wasnt good at time

Unfortunately over christmas I had the usual rut set in. I managed a 4 miler one day but other than nothing much, tried a tip from Stan Collymore on Twitter, for anything up to an hour run at 7kph for a min, then 15, back to 7, then 16, back to 7, all the way up to 20

then back down to 15 then back up again. He looks in incredible shape even though he is about 52, it will take me ages to get up to being able to do that for an hour

In the meantime I just pumped in a 4 miler on the treadmill today as the roads are very icy.

In a rut at the minute but have an appointment with a PT tomorrow in the gym

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19232 on: January 22, 2024, 08:27:36 am »
My goodness.

Check my local parkrun page on Saturday. "Late notice cancellation due to another event where we start and finish"

It's then a barrage of pro and anti parkrun people. The other event was a gym guy who's seemingly trying to get a gym brand/running event thing going. Lots of tick book and insta tock.

He's maintaining he didn't know of parkrun (which is odd as he's done the same thing at two other parkruns) but then all these absolute clowns who are having at go at the volunteers.

Delay the start, no-one stuck around to tell me.

Plenty still did the 5k and just didn't get a parkrun credit. Move on people

I love parkrun. Over 200 and try to fit one in if time/location fits.

I mean I got a train to Halle at 7:00am the day before Berlin marathon to run one. But it's not a reason to get pissy with people who give up their free time to put on a 5k you don't pay for.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:31:45 am by red_Mark1980 »

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19233 on: January 23, 2024, 01:54:47 pm »
My goodness.

Check my local parkrun page on Saturday. "Late notice cancellation due to another event where we start and finish"

It's then a barrage of pro and anti parkrun people. The other event was a gym guy who's seemingly trying to get a gym brand/running event thing going. Lots of tick book and insta tock.

He's maintaining he didn't know of parkrun (which is odd as he's done the same thing at two other parkruns) but then all these absolute clowns who are having at go at the volunteers.

Delay the start, no-one stuck around to tell me.

Plenty still did the 5k and just didn't get a parkrun credit. Move on people

I love parkrun. Over 200 and try to fit one in if time/location fits.

I mean I got a train to Halle at 7:00am the day before Berlin marathon to run one. But it's not a reason to get pissy with people who give up their free time to put on a 5k you don't pay for.

Crazy the sense of entitlement of some people for a free event put on by volunteers for the benefit of the community! And the gym guy sounds like a bit of a d*ck!!!

Online Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19234 on: January 23, 2024, 10:08:41 pm »
Crazy the sense of entitlement of some people for a free event put on by volunteers for the benefit of the community! And the gym guy sounds like a bit of a d*ck!!!

The behaviour of runners at parkrun is getting worse. Usually at the front end. Tonnes of people at mine who loudly groan at the race director (who does take her time sometimes), 100-300 parkruns apiece with no volunteer credits. (I’d back a model where you have to pay for your time after 50 runs if you don’t have any volunteer credits, and need to volunteer once every 50 from them on)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19235 on: February 6, 2024, 08:33:17 am »
First 10k of the year yesterday, I have had a chest infection for two weeks, its only cleared up as I didnt take time off or antibiotics. Also after workouts I was getting really bad headaches, like a thunder clap headache, but it didnt happen yesterday, so much relief

As I said in the gym thread I am starting with a PT today

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19236 on: February 12, 2024, 01:25:26 pm »
Tragic news with the death of Kelvin kiptum, would surely have gone under 2hrs for the marathon at some point.

Huge loss to the world of running.

RIP Kelvin.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19237 on: February 12, 2024, 03:18:35 pm »
Jesus thats awful

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19238 on: February 13, 2024, 06:54:27 pm »
RIP to Kelvin Kiptum. I wrote in the athletics thread about the shock of this. So young, so much achieved and so much potential. Feels selfish to have the thought that the world of athletics has been robbed of his talent when he has such a young family. Hopefully they have a community around them to support them. Horrendous.

My own training has been going well. I’m probably the fittest I’ve been in 3 years and came in the top 30 recently at a local 5(ish) mile with a 27:20, massive PB at that slightly odd distance. I have another 2 10kms booked and have been doing a lot of hill work and tempo stuff, whilst increasing the distance. I’m up to 55 miles a week and feeling pretty strong with it.

On the parkrun stuff, it feels like a lot of controversy is swirling at present with behavioural issues, lack of appreciation for volunteers and the current records row. I don’t have much to say on that specifically but I massively appreciate the volunteers and do chip in myself occasionally. I probably get to 10-12 parkruns a year and usually pace a couple as a volunteer, or at my local one where I tend to come top 5, I barcode scan. But I also don’t have a problem with those who just want to join in, because I think it’s a fantastic event to bring people together and promote community. My club also does ‘takeovers’ and does recruitment events that would have zero success in other settings.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #19239 on: February 17, 2024, 11:18:10 am »
Took the dog for our first ever Parkrun this morning, with my footy match called off this weekend. We had a good time :)

Being part of something like that isn't something I've experienced before with running and it does make it a really nice way to start the day.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.