Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 809404 times)

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #19120 on: May 1, 2023, 12:14:51 pm »
What's everyone's experiences with Garmins?

I'm looking at a 265 or Venu 2. Totally lost as to the difference at this point.

Forerunner 265 looks great, but might be a little extra for what I'm looking for.
I’ve had the fairly basic Forerunner 45s for years and it’s been cracking, still no real need for me to replace now. It depends what you want but the functionality and longevity mine has provided for around 3 years now has more than justified the initial £120 or their abouts.

Have you got a race for the sub 17 or running it at a track? Be great to find a local flat parkrun though if you need it
I’m doing the Christleton 5km in Chester in a few weeks but that’s again a trial run, I will probably go to Astbury Mere the other side of Cheshire near Congleton for the proper attempt in a few months, probably
July. It’s a nice flat loop, concrete path mostly and largely speaking people stay out of your way.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19121 on: May 1, 2023, 08:09:32 pm »
Want something wearable as a daily driver, but great for runs and the like.

Thinking about going for the 265, but it's around £400 at the moment.

I was really happy with my Versa 2, but it's died.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19122 on: May 1, 2023, 09:06:07 pm »
First slightly longer run for me this year, knee still a bit sore but managed 7.5 miles (with a couple of pauses to walk) but felt nice to be out.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19123 on: May 1, 2023, 09:28:46 pm »

Christ. Does it run for you? There must be a version that's more like a 235.

There is. It's a 245. You can pick one up for £220 on John lewis. Is there something that's pushing you towards the 265? I'll admit I've not looked into them in any detail.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2023, 06:24:31 am by red_Mark1980 »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #19124 on: May 2, 2023, 08:10:33 am »
Brilliant Razor! I read somewhere that it can take 10 days to see fitness gains so it would make sense if you had a few days off but still seeing the benefits of all last weeks running.

I have a leg of the Belfast Marathon this weekend (7 mile). This time last year I was preparing for the full thing. More relaxed about it this time around and feel far healthier, have been back at the weights and not wrecking my body with long runs every week. Time will probably be shocking though :D
how did it go
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19125 on: May 2, 2023, 09:29:27 am »
how did it go

Well the run couldn't have went better. Legs left me around mile 5-6 (was going hard) but was able to push through.

Stupidly went to the gym yesterday, was still as stiff as a board. Last rep of some deadlifts and felt a tear right up the lower back. Agony this morning, hope it's something that will heal in a few days. Annoyed because earlier in the sets I knew my strength wasn't all there but the ego told me to keep going. Poor form and injury, typical.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19126 on: May 2, 2023, 10:11:41 am »
We have been there

well done on the run, hopefully you are not on the shelf too long

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #19127 on: May 2, 2023, 12:45:04 pm »

I bought the 245 music in the sales and love it, no more carrying a phone for listening to music.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19128 on: June 24, 2023, 06:18:33 am »
Will be at Princes Park for Parkrun this morning. Judging by my training I’m probably in shape to do 17:30 or thereabouts, but my partner really wants pacing round, so it will be a last minute decision whether I go for it and throw my month’s plan out a bit, or stick to what I’ve prepped and help her get her time (sub-24).

Not done this one in years so looking forward to it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #19129 on: June 27, 2023, 03:26:38 pm »
Thought I'd check back in to update and hold myself accountable. I finally got started this week. Bought myself a pair of running shoes and have started Couch 2 5K, as I generally work better under structure.

I'm finding week one pretty easy, but I'm sticking to it - as I'm a bit overweight and haven't done cardio in a long time. 5 min warm up, 1 min running, 1.5 mins brisk walk (repeat 8 times) then a 5 min cool down (similar to warmup). It get's progressively more intensive each week. I'm probably doing it too slow, (I'm doing more of a steady jog than running). I started up the weights again as well.

Quite enjoying the running actually, and (touch wood) my knees are holding out fine.

I've set myself a goal of going for a run with my mate after the program (some time in early summer). My mate is a big runner, quite a good one, too. He just done the Paris marathon at the weekend there and has been doing running/marathons for years. I'd like to be able to go on a 5k run with him. Obviously it's not going to be anything competitive, but just to keep up with him for the 5k (I'm sure he isnt going to be taking the piss with his speed).

Not sure how realistic or achievable it is, but I suppose if I don't get it by end of the program, it will only be a month or two later.

Great work, Deano - I first worked though Couch to 5k during summer & autumn 2019 and I thought it was brilliant.

The step-up between weeks can sometimes seem a little daunting, but I'd recommend seeing the 'planned' run as a target and not being too hard on yourself if you slow to a walk a few seconds early on the first or second attempt. The middle weeks have progressively more intense runs rather than a trio of repeats - allow yourself to repeat if you need to. Are you recording your distance/time/speed using a phone/watch? I found it really helpful to see my pace/time improving if I repeated my runs, where otherwise I might have been cursing myself for not progressing.

Felt like I'd lost my routine a little bit over recent months/the last year or so, and so I've recently started Couch to 5k again. Even having done it before, I found the step from week three to week four a little daunting and did a whole seven repeats of the week three runs before committing to week four - pushed on and did run 4.1 yesterday evening  :)

How are you getting on a couple of months on?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 03:55:11 pm by jackh »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19130 on: July 2, 2023, 09:31:31 am »
Hope you’re all doing well. I e fallen off the running wagon a bit this year. Replaced it with getting a dog so taking her on lots of walks and not really finding the time for both. Need a kick up the arse. Am 12 weeks away from a potential half marathon that I want to sign up for - can anyone direct me to a decent 12 week training plan, as the HM site which used to have one on there is now charging for some app based plan. I really just need a fairly basic plan to tell me how far I should be going each run/week and ideally mixed up with a bit of intervals/hills. I’m not a beginner but won’t be setting any records - around 1.50 pace would be the dream.

Cheers!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19131 on: July 2, 2023, 05:49:58 pm »
Hope you’re all doing well. I e fallen off the running wagon a bit this year. Replaced it with getting a dog so taking her on lots of walks and not really finding the time for both. Need a kick up the arse. Am 12 weeks away from a potential half marathon that I want to sign up for - can anyone direct me to a decent 12 week training plan, as the HM site which used to have one on there is now charging for some app based plan. I really just need a fairly basic plan to tell me how far I should be going each run/week and ideally mixed up with a bit of intervals/hills. I’m not a beginner but won’t be setting any records - around 1.50 pace would be the dream.

Cheers!

Nick - I've used the great run website in the past. Found it really helpful.

Phuket half was an experience, 5am start in the dark. 37 degree heat. Essentially flat but the heat was a killer.

Today was Lyme Park half marathon. The terrain wasnt my cup of tea. Rocks, slate and uneven made for a ridiculous run.

I'm sure others will love the views but it's not for me.

Need to get my arse into gear for Berlin in September

Online Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #19132 on: July 7, 2023, 01:37:58 pm »
Hi fellow runners. Mods - take down if not allowed -

I'm running the London marathon in April for a charity called Well Child. Would appreciate this link being shared far and wide.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mike-roughsedge2

Youll Never Walk (Run) Alone
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19133 on: July 7, 2023, 11:38:48 pm »
Running can be so frustrating with one injury after another 😔

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19134 on: July 11, 2023, 08:23:38 am »
maybe take up weights or swimming instead

I know the feeling though, groin injury when i was 20, between being off injured with it, putting on weight and it flaring up every time i attempted a come back it was probably a year before it finally fecked off

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19135 on: July 11, 2023, 11:47:23 am »

I know what you mean - I was constantly injured between 2015 and 2019. Achilles, ankle, hip - on repeat.  Read 2 books that kind of changed my running life though. Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 and Chi-Running by Danny Dreyer - I backed this up by doing a weekend chi running course with Irish runner Catriona McKiernan in 2018. She should have had Sonia O'Sullivan's career, won the London Marathon etc but was constantly injured so never fulfilled her full potential - so it became her obsession to go injury free when she started coaching.  I'm into distance running rather than the super fast stuff so the changes kind of suited me.  I know there are a few really fast lads in here from lurking, but I can't speak to that type of training at all. This is all anecdotal. 

Chi Running is a form guide, concentrating on having a strong core and good technique.  It's got some mystical bullshit around it, but the basic thrust is breaking down your running form and rebuilding it, along with doing some strength work (less than an hour a week) so you stay injury free. It's about being present when you run too, so you ditch the headphones etc and do your runs with specific form focuses in mind. Some runs its posture and leaning forward, others its foot strike, others about concentrating on running from your core. I found it really interesting. I did it on my own for 6 months and then did the course which helped make a few adjustments.  You eventually just run differently and stop thinking about it.

80/20 is about how fast you run and your intensity in training. The mistake most people make, me included, is treating every run as a race, Thinking you need to always run fast to get any gain, which leads to tiredness, which leads to injuries and niggles.  The reality is you only need to do about 20% of your training at any intensity and the other 80% can be done with relatively low effort.  It's built on top of old NZ coach Arthur Lydiard's methods. If you want to run faster, run longer slower. It's counter intuitive, but I guess the idea is that you get all the aerobic gains during the 80% and feel really fresh so get a huge amount out of the 20% of intense sessions as you can really push. A little bit goes a long way etc. Hardest thing to get over is fully embracing slow running I found - that's still an ongoing process.

Not a coach or a doc - but I was just as frustrated about constant injury. So I really looked into it. Not had an injury that's kept me out longer than 3 days in 4-5 years (touch wood). Hoping to run a 50 miler in September. 

Hope you catch some luck with it - i'd be lost without running.  :wave
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19136 on: July 12, 2023, 04:47:51 pm »
I know what you mean - I was constantly injured between 2015 and 2019. Achilles, ankle, hip - on repeat.  Read 2 books that kind of changed my running life though. Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 and Chi-Running by Danny Dreyer - I backed this up by doing a weekend chi running course with Irish runner Catriona McKiernan in 2018. She should have had Sonia O'Sullivan's career, won the London Marathon etc but was constantly injured so never fulfilled her full potential - so it became her obsession to go injury free when she started coaching.  I'm into distance running rather than the super fast stuff so the changes kind of suited me.  I know there are a few really fast lads in here from lurking, but I can't speak to that type of training at all. This is all anecdotal. 

Chi Running is a form guide, concentrating on having a strong core and good technique.  It's got some mystical bullshit around it, but the basic thrust is breaking down your running form and rebuilding it, along with doing some strength work (less than an hour a week) so you stay injury free. It's about being present when you run too, so you ditch the headphones etc and do your runs with specific form focuses in mind. Some runs its posture and leaning forward, others its foot strike, others about concentrating on running from your core. I found it really interesting. I did it on my own for 6 months and then did the course which helped make a few adjustments.  You eventually just run differently and stop thinking about it.

80/20 is about how fast you run and your intensity in training. The mistake most people make, me included, is treating every run as a race, Thinking you need to always run fast to get any gain, which leads to tiredness, which leads to injuries and niggles.  The reality is you only need to do about 20% of your training at any intensity and the other 80% can be done with relatively low effort.  It's built on top of old NZ coach Arthur Lydiard's methods. If you want to run faster, run longer slower. It's counter intuitive, but I guess the idea is that you get all the aerobic gains during the 80% and feel really fresh so get a huge amount out of the 20% of intense sessions as you can really push. A little bit goes a long way etc. Hardest thing to get over is fully embracing slow running I found - that's still an ongoing process.

Not a coach or a doc - but I was just as frustrated about constant injury. So I really looked into it. Not had an injury that's kept me out longer than 3 days in 4-5 years (touch wood). Hoping to run a 50 miler in September. 

Hope you catch some luck with it - i'd be lost without running.  :wave

Thanks for that yeah been doing 80/20 for quite a while unfortunately for me at least it’s so boring without speed work.
Finding the right balance between easy running and intensity is my holy grail 🤨.

Fully agree with your last paragraph.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19137 on: July 31, 2023, 12:12:24 pm »
Did my first ever Park Run. 24:34. 90M decline for the first half. 90M climb on the way back up.

Incredibly tough.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19138 on: July 31, 2023, 12:37:35 pm »
Did my first ever Park Run. 24:34. 90M decline for the first half. 90M climb on the way back up.

Incredibly tough.

The parkrun mafia will be out for you.  ;)

One word, no capital "P".

Where did you do it? That's a great debut, have you done an organised run with others before, a race or ran with a club?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19139 on: July 31, 2023, 12:38:41 pm »

Incredibly tough.

Nice one!. Tough just means you went hard at it! Never a bad thing. Are you going to do them regularly?

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19140 on: July 31, 2023, 11:34:06 pm »
https://www.fetcheveryone.com/route-1841049

This one! It has the ascent at 210M… might choose to believe that over my Garmin.  ;D

Only ran it because I was best man for my mate and he loves running. Thought I’d go along. I don’t run much - bad knee - previously ran a 21:40 this year though. Did a marathon last year too.

Never done club running. Would do a ‘parkrun’ if not for the 9am start. I really value sleep - but it did drive me on.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19141 on: August 1, 2023, 08:02:22 am »

Incredibly tough.
Ugh, nothing like a late, heavy incline to make you question just collapsing or not. Great work.

I ran well at parkrun this weekend just gone, on an an undulating course that I’ve not tried before, with a really difficult 500m gravel section that’s impossible to gain any traction on. What helped is that a bloke stayed on my shoulder the entire way round then died off during the kick in the last 800m, but he kept me going in all honesty. Had he not been there I would’ve ran a good minute slower I think. Ended up in 17:58, which is very decent for that course.

One thing I did notice, this was the first parkrun I’ve ever done that had timing markers on the ground and the race director making it painfully clear to stand where you’ll finish, time wise. It was narrow and around 600 go to this event, so I wasn’t able to start as close to the front as I’d like. I assumed a club or something had rocked up based on the amount of people jostling to be on the start line. It became pretty apparent in the first 600m that virtually none of the people ahead of me were going to run sub 20s. Why do people do it? Just greater belief in their own ability, selfishness, or a lack of awareness?

I did actually think I’d won when I was rounding the last corner as I’d been clear with the lad on my shoulder for a good ten minutes. Turns out some lad in the age category below had finished in 16:19. He did have the shortest shorts and pinkest Alpha Flys, so I probably should’ve known  ;D

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19142 on: August 1, 2023, 11:37:59 am »
It was literally 50% down hill, 50% incline back. Absolutely brutal. I'd love to get to sub-20, but I've got a broken knee & tendonitis, so need to manage how much I run. Have to do strength work at the gym as well and running on sore legs will do me more harm than good.

Your time is absolutely mint.

I'd love to try the Alpha Flys, but at £230 + them not being a support shoe, I reckon I'd struggle.

I'll stick to my New Balance 860s.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19143 on: August 1, 2023, 01:27:43 pm »
Ha ha. We had that at a parkrun near us a few months back DS.
There was a lot of organisation (we were in pens would you believe) but then when it started everyone set off at the same time. I'll look later to see where it was.

I'm amazed at people who think they are quicker than they are. I've usually gone for the opposite approach at an unknown parkrun and dropped further back than I probably need to.

I felt pretty good at our local this weekend. Nothing overly quick (even for me) but turned into a progressive run and had a lot left in the tank at the end.

I'd looked at the one you ran Keita Success a few weeks back. We were meant to be at my Girlfriends parents not far the night before. But she fell out with me on the Friday and left without me. Par for the course that  ;D

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19144 on: August 1, 2023, 11:38:59 pm »
Keita, good gym work is key at a certain age I think, I can’t believe I used to neglect it, my body breaks down if I don’t do at least one strength and support session a week.

On the Alphaflys, I’d like to give them a go too, but like you say, the price is way too steep. I’d like to know how many miles you’d genuinely get out of them before they give. I’ve a pair of carbon plate Zoom Flys which were I believe £130 in the sale, that I’ve got good use out of and it’s not worth pretending the carbon variants don’t give you a boost. They absolutely and most definitely do. Maybe if I am ever convinced I can go sub-16 (highly unlikely!) I will splash out on a pair. It’s mad how many people you see in them at a parkrun.

Mark, sounds like good training that. Being in pens at a parkrun is mad! I was speaking to a bloke tonight at the club who’s a race director and I described the issue with loads of people pushing to be at the front of a narrow course and speed groupings etc and he says you see a lot of younger lads rock up who think they are rapid after a few treadmill runs, then they can’t believe the speed of some of the people at the events and it humbles them massively, they just assumed because they’re young and generally in shape that they can show up and dominate.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19145 on: August 2, 2023, 06:55:32 am »
Had something similar when I started running. Apologies if you've read this before DS.

I was living in a house share in Manchester and the two other lads were gym fellas. One of them thought he was the absolute business.

I started on the couch to five k, then booked a ten mile race in Edinburgh then ran a couple of halves. The weight was coming off and I was at times running twice a day, once as part of my training plan and then socially in the evenings with a running club in Manchester. I don't mind saying my times weren't shabby for a 30 something lad who'd always been overweight.

Must have been after my first or second half and I was talking about my parkrun times. On a good day if the weather had been fine (I used to run at Wythenshawe where the last part of each lap could at times been a muddy bog) I could get around 23 minutes, so averaging 7:30 min/mile.

The lad who fancied himself overheard me chatting to the other lad (training for a sprint tri) and said he could run faster than that for his 10k. I took him at his word and a few days later he happily told me he'd ran his 10k averaging under 5 minute miles.

What he'd not reckoned is that I have a degree in maths and can very quickly work out that he's suggesting he's just ran 10k in a little over 30 minutes. Except he'd been out running for way longer.

Turns out he was talking about 5 minute/km. "Well it's all the same"

No mate. It's a different measurement and vastly different.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19146 on: August 2, 2023, 11:23:19 am »
Keita, good gym work is key at a certain age I think, I can’t believe I used to neglect it, my body breaks down if I don’t do at least one strength and support session a week.

On the Alphaflys, I’d like to give them a go too, but like you say, the price is way too steep. I’d like to know how many miles you’d genuinely get out of them before they give. I’ve a pair of carbon plate Zoom Flys which were I believe £130 in the sale, that I’ve got good use out of and it’s not worth pretending the carbon variants don’t give you a boost. They absolutely and most definitely do. Maybe if I am ever convinced I can go sub-16 (highly unlikely!) I will splash out on a pair. It’s mad how many people you see in them at a parkrun.

Mark, sounds like good training that. Being in pens at a parkrun is mad! I was speaking to a bloke tonight at the club who’s a race director and I described the issue with loads of people pushing to be at the front of a narrow course and speed groupings etc and he says you see a lot of younger lads rock up who think they are rapid after a few treadmill runs, then they can’t believe the speed of some of the people at the events and it humbles them massively, they just assumed because they’re young and generally in shape that they can show up and dominate.
Yeah, so I broke my knee playing football 6 years ago when I was 21. The tendon that connects my shin bone to my knee cap basically pulled the tip on the kneecap off. Yum. Didn't go to the Drs despite the agony and now I've got semi-consistent pain there. Gym & stretching do help, though.

Doing gait analysis helped a lot because I seriously over-pronated and getting my NB 860s stopped the ankle and knee pain from running. I know some people say it's a fad, but it helped me for sure!

What're your leg and support days looking like?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19147 on: August 2, 2023, 12:38:18 pm »
Anyone using the Suunto Ambit3 with the HR monitor? I have a chance at getting one on sale at a local outfitting shop (it's not manufactured anymore). Any reviews helpful!
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19148 on: August 2, 2023, 10:23:41 pm »
Anyone using the Suunto Ambit3 with the HR monitor? I have a chance at getting one on sale at a local outfitting shop (it's not manufactured anymore). Any reviews helpful!

I imagine most runners probably use a Garmin or Polar.

The HR monitors on any running watch should not be relied on for accuracy.

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19149 on: August 4, 2023, 05:30:44 pm »
Yeah, so I broke my knee playing football 6 years ago when I was 21. The tendon that connects my shin bone to my knee cap basically pulled the tip on the kneecap off. Yum. Didn't go to the Drs despite the agony and now I've got semi-consistent pain there. Gym & stretching do help, though.

Doing gait analysis helped a lot because I seriously over-pronated and getting my NB 860s stopped the ankle and knee pain from running. I know some people say it's a fad, but it helped me for sure!

What're your leg and support days looking like?
I don’t do much upper body, some core stability work such as light, high rep deadlifts, but a lot of box jumps, squats on higher reps lower weight (tend not to exceed my body weight with squats on an Olympic bar) then because I’m vain I do a bit of back and shoulders, but it’s heavily focused on a stable core and the ability to find that extra explosiveness when kicking at a certain point of a race.

Is the knee thing something that can be surgically addressed now?

Mark: What a twat the lad is. There’s a reason a five minute mile is rapid but a five minute kilometre is normal, it’s called distance. Hilarious.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19150 on: August 7, 2023, 03:43:51 pm »
I don’t do much upper body, some core stability work such as light, high rep deadlifts, but a lot of box jumps, squats on higher reps lower weight (tend not to exceed my body weight with squats on an Olympic bar) then because I’m vain I do a bit of back and shoulders, but it’s heavily focused on a stable core and the ability to find that extra explosiveness when kicking at a certain point of a race.

Is the knee thing something that can be surgically addressed now?

Mark: What a twat the lad is. There’s a reason a five minute mile is rapid but a five minute kilometre is normal, it’s called distance. Hilarious.
I've been waiting for the NHS for 3 years now. Given up. Nice one on the routine, I'll look into it!

Strength & stretching really does help, though. Virtually no pain now! Did a 22:40 parkrun on Saturday, too. Still a minute off my best this year - would love to break 20 at some point.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19151 on: August 7, 2023, 09:36:04 pm »
I've been waiting for the NHS for 3 years now. Given up. Nice one on the routine, I'll look into it!

Strength & stretching really does help, though. Virtually no pain now! Did a 22:40 parkrun on Saturday, too. Still a minute off my best this year - would love to break 20 at some point.

I started more strength training to help with injuries and have ended up just cutting out all running! Did a PR at the weekend at 22:40ish and I felt great on the hills, could really power through and the legs felt really stronger than ever.

It is annoying how if you stop running, you go all the way back to your base cardiovascular fitness levels. I know it's a stupid and obvious thing to moan about but it just happens so quickly, a couple of months off and it feels like you are back to square one speed wise.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #19152 on: August 11, 2023, 08:26:10 am »
I'm 7 months post ACL tear, managed 5 runs in the past 2 weeks (and a game of squash too)

Running 2km at the moment from anywhere between 5.20 - 6.20/ km. Knee has no pain, but want to keep it sensible and not push myself. My only issue is I get bored running!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19153 on: August 13, 2023, 01:28:48 am »
Ripped my plantar fascia and tendonitis on the right foot two years ago and still recovering.

Anyone else had long long term injuries?

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19154 on: August 13, 2023, 07:08:02 am »
I'm 7 months post ACL tear, managed 5 runs in the past 2 weeks (and a game of squash too)

Running 2km at the moment from anywhere between 5.20 - 6.20/ km. Knee has no pain, but want to keep it sensible and not push myself. My only issue is I get bored running!
Have you been rehabbing with any weight work Elzar?

Did you have the surgery with a graft from your hamstring? That’s what I had when I blew the ACL, MCL and tore through my meniscus.

Ripped my plantar fascia and tendonitis on the right foot two years ago and still recovering.

Anyone else had long long term injuries?
Ouch, yes as above my knee basically exploded. Was at footy training in the pissing wet and looked to spin away from a defender as the ball was fired into me and the knee just ‘popped’ loudly. No one touched me, no impact, just blew up. Took me 18 months from the issue to be okay and even now, 5 years later my knee isn’t quite right and never will be. Running is fine, but I have lost all agility on the turn so have diminished horribly as a footballer.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19155 on: August 29, 2023, 11:10:55 am »
What do you guys do when you need new running trainers? If you buy online do you tend to stick to brands and models that you’ve had before? Reading online reviews makes it feel like a lottery.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19156 on: August 29, 2023, 11:40:01 am »
What do you guys do when you need new running trainers? If you buy online do you tend to stick to brands and models that you’ve had before? Reading online reviews makes it feel like a lottery.
Asics are my go to

I ran a marathon in 2016, the pair recommended to me were 160 in the shop but i think paid about 120 online. They were good, first day I ever wore them I ran my first ten mile without much trouble.

I switched to new balance after that, they were ok, then went to Adidas, maybe I skimped on what I bought from them but I found them awful for running, feet felt swollen when I ran and it was as if I was running on rocks all the time. Ended up going back to New balance which were old by then.

In January I switched to Asics again, immediately on a 5 mile run I shaved off 5 minutes. Was so impressed I straight away bought the same pair online for when I need to get new ones again.

the actual ones I bought are no longer in stock but here is the site

https://outlet.asics.com/gb/en-gb/

very good prices and free delivery over £50

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19157 on: August 29, 2023, 11:45:46 am »
Cheers. My last few pairs have been Saucony. I actually went and bought the exact same out again once as I knew they were comfortable for me but last time they were no longer in stock. Bought a different model, same size and they were a little tight. Basically made me a bit wary of buying online without trying on. Have a half marathon in 4 weeks so might just keep wearing the current pair as I know you’re meant to wear in a new pair first before doing longer runs anyway.

Just wondered how much ‘trust’ people had in buying online without trying out first.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19158 on: August 29, 2023, 11:47:21 am »
Yeah its risky, the marathon pair I got them delivered on saturday and sunday was the first 10 miler I think I ever did, it worked great

Maybe buy another insole for cushioning impact?

Never heard of Saucony

Did you get a gait analysis?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19159 on: August 29, 2023, 12:22:39 pm »
Cheers. My last few pairs have been Saucony. I actually went and bought the exact same out again once as I knew they were comfortable for me but last time they were no longer in stock. Bought a different model, same size and they were a little tight. Basically made me a bit wary of buying online without trying on. Have a half marathon in 4 weeks so might just keep wearing the current pair as I know you’re meant to wear in a new pair first before doing longer runs anyway.

Just wondered how much ‘trust’ people had in buying online without trying out first.

If you're moving to a new model or brand then there is an element of luck.

I've ran almost exclusively in Ons for a few years and their sizing is pretty uniform.

But moving to different brands is tricky. There's no harm in going into a store, trying on a few and then "thinking about it" while looking online. Our local running store (we live central to Birmingham) has a pretty limited range so I don't even bother.

It's a vicious cycle of high street retailers carrying a limited range, so people buy online, forcing high street shops to close and /or reduce their offering.

My partner needed some trail shoes a few months back and they had three different pairs. That's it.

I'm sorry but you can't be taken seriously if you have three different female trail shoes.