Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 486672 times)

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #4280 on: September 3, 2015, 08:21:44 am »
I'm going to be in the market for a replacement car in the next couple of months. Not got a lot of cash spare, so will be looking to spend between £1500-£2000. Been looking at the Focus C Max. I don't do that much mileage so am discounting a Diesel. Given the budget I have I'm looking at ones between 53 and 55 plates. Most of these come with between 80K-110K miles on the clock. The 100K mileage figure concerns me a little...

Should I be worried about cars with 100K on the clock?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4281 on: September 3, 2015, 09:07:04 am »
I'm going to be in the market for a replacement car in the next couple of months. Not got a lot of cash spare, so will be looking to spend between £1500-£2000. Been looking at the Focus C Max. I don't do that much mileage so am discounting a Diesel. Given the budget I have I'm looking at ones between 53 and 55 plates. Most of these come with between 80K-110K miles on the clock. The 100K mileage figure concerns me a little...

maybe with a petrol, check its service history and dont be afraid to ask questions about what work has been done on it and if it had any problems

a diesel with 100k on it is nothing usually.

i bought an avensis in 2010 with 100k on it. i doubled that in 5 years, yes i ran into problems but what car isnt when you drive it that long. at some point you will have to replace brakes and get timing belts done etc but in 5 years and 100k miles it never once broke down

just make sure if you do go for this that it has a service history and check what work has been or needs to be done
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4282 on: September 3, 2015, 10:06:00 am »
I own a 1.4 Corsa SRI now, 2013. Love it.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4283 on: September 3, 2015, 11:38:56 am »
2004 Mondeo LX with three wheel trims, a clunking front suspension and you have to use a key to push down a hidden button at the side of the auto gear stick to get it out of Park.
Dull grey.
In a 'polite' word - functional.
Also have a 2003 A Class Merc which hasn't moved for about a year.

Looking to upgrade to a Nissan Qashqai on a personal lease deal though - had one for a weekend recently and was very impressed.
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #4284 on: September 3, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »
maybe with a petrol, check its service history and dont be afraid to ask questions about what work has been done on it and if it had any problems

a diesel with 100k on it is nothing usually.

i bought an avensis in 2010 with 100k on it. i doubled that in 5 years, yes i ran into problems but what car isnt when you drive it that long. at some point you will have to replace brakes and get timing belts done etc but in 5 years and 100k miles it never once broke down

just make sure if you do go for this that it has a service history and check what work has been or needs to be done

cheers for the advice. Yep aware of usual 'motoring' things like brakes and tyres can't be avoided.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4285 on: September 3, 2015, 12:08:42 pm »
cheers for the advice. Yep aware of usual 'motoring' things like brakes and tyres can't be avoided.
nowt can be done

my brake caliper seized one month out of warranty

400 euro it cost. hmpf

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4286 on: September 3, 2015, 03:44:46 pm »

Depends what you buy.

Not very fashionable like, but I've bought 2 Volvo V70's in the last 6 years. 1st one had 117k on it, kept it 2 years and put another 25k on it using it for work. Ladders on roof, 150kg work gear in boot. Spent money on a service, and tyres. Passed 2 MOT's with not even any advisories.
Not been so lucky with the one I have now. Bought at 127k with full Volvo service history, put 15k on it in just over 18months and I've had to spend 70 quid on 2 new droplinks.
Neither car cost me more than £1600, and I've spent £70 on repairs in 40k of motoring. Neither car had an easy life either.

My car has every extra you could think of, has done 141k miles and has no creaks, squeaks, or rattles. Stands me a 70 quid for 18 months of driving. I'll be keeping it forever. I know it will easily do 200k and probably still be better than a Ford/Vauxhall etc at half the mileage.

Good shout out for the Subaru's as well. Parts are dearer to buy, but like Volvo's you very rarely have to buy them.

I'm currently looking for a Forester for my wife, and to get us about when the weather turns where I live. Mileage isn't an issue. I'd be happy to buy a 150k miler if it's been looked after.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4287 on: September 3, 2015, 03:47:40 pm »
I'm currently looking for a Forester for my wife, and to get us about when the weather turns where I live. Mileage isn't an issue. I'd be happy to buy a 150k miler if it's been looked after.

I just bought a new Forrester and highly recommend them.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4288 on: September 3, 2015, 03:56:24 pm »
I just bought a new Forrester and highly recommend them.

She won't be having a new one  :shocked

:D

I've been very close to buying an Outback on 2 occasions, and each time the V70 won out. The only reason was that at both times of purchase I couldn't find an Outback with a manual gearbox and Heated seats in the price range I was looking.

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4289 on: September 3, 2015, 03:58:11 pm »
I decided I needed a new car and my 2006 Jeep was getting on a bit. Decided if i'm getting a car i'm getting on that is hopefully going last me at least 5-8 years.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4290 on: September 3, 2015, 04:05:58 pm »
I decided I needed a new car and my 2006 Jeep was getting on a bit. Decided if i'm getting a car i'm getting on that is hopefully going last me at least 5-8 years.

It will last you until you get fed up of it mate. Like the Volvo's, they're not brilliant on fuel, but that's more than offset by the fact you'll never have to spend money on them.

Unless you buy a diesel, they've not got the hang of them yet, and there's loads for sale over here with failed engines all around the 100k mark. It would appear 'boxer' and 'diesel' are not the best of combinations.

Edit.

This is for sale about 10 miles from where I used to live, if it's still for sale in 3 weeks when I go and visit my parents I'll probably buy it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271974061076?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: September 3, 2015, 04:09:46 pm by Lord of Glencoe »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4291 on: September 3, 2015, 04:08:38 pm »
It will last you until you get fed up of it mate. Like the Volvo's, they're not brilliant on fuel, but that's more than offset by the fact you'll never have to spend money on them.

Unless you buy a diesel, they've not got the hang of them yet, and there's loads for sale over here with failed engines all around the 100k mark. It would appear 'boxer' and 'diesel' are not the best of combinations.

There were a lot of good things about it, so pretty happy with it at the moment. I'm sure it will last a long time.

Mine is regular gas not diesel, so should be all good. It's only got 2000 miles on the clock at the moment.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4292 on: September 3, 2015, 04:11:21 pm »
There were a lot of good things about it, so pretty happy with it at the moment. I'm sure it will last a long time.

Mine is regular gas not diesel, so should be all good. It's only got 2000 miles on the clock at the moment.

Just out of interest, what do you pay for petrol ?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4293 on: September 3, 2015, 04:12:55 pm »
Just out of interest, what do you pay for petrol ?

I think right now it's around $2.60 for a gallon. My car usually fills up around the 14/15 gallon mark. I usually wait till the light comes on to go fill up, I went last week and spent $33 on gas. That usually lasts me around 3 weeks give or take, depending on where I travel.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4294 on: September 3, 2015, 04:18:57 pm »
I think right now it's around $2.60 for a gallon. My car usually fills up around the 14/15 gallon mark. I usually wait till the light comes on to go fill up, I went last week and spent $33 on gas. That usually lasts me around 3 weeks give or take, depending on where I travel.

Ha, it doesn't really matter about MPG then does it.  ;D

I pay £5.23 a gallon where I am. Not sure how that converts into $

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4295 on: September 3, 2015, 04:22:30 pm »
Ha, it doesn't really matter about MPG then does it.  ;D

I pay £5.23 a gallon where I am. Not sure how that converts into $

Yeah gas is pretty cheap here. In SC it's even cheaper, probably around $2. So if I really wanted to I could drive a couple of miles and fill up for cheaper, but i'm lazy.

MPG doesn't bother me much, I get around 19-21 driving in city and around 26-28 driving on the highway. I do have a little bit of a lead foot so it would be higher if I drove like my dad.

5.23 works around $7.97

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4296 on: September 3, 2015, 04:30:46 pm »
Yeah gas is pretty cheap here. In SC it's even cheaper, probably around $2. So if I really wanted to I could drive a couple of miles and fill up for cheaper, but i'm lazy.

MPG doesn't bother me much, I get around 19-21 driving in city and around 26-28 driving on the highway. I do have a little bit of a lead foot so it would be higher if I drove like my dad.

5.23 works around $7.97

Ughhh.

I drive pretty carefully, fuel being expensive, and me being a bit of a tightarse like  :D

My V70 was doing about 27, then I read on a forum about resetting the ECU if the MPG drops below 30. This I did, and now I get 32-33 which I'm chuffed with.
Rachel drives like a rally driver, that's why she's stuck with a shitty little diesel that will do 45 no matter how driven. I'm dreading her getting a car that does ~27-30. :-\
At least with it being petrol I'll be able to claim it back through my accountant. :-X

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4297 on: September 3, 2015, 04:36:13 pm »
That's pretty expensive for petrol yeah, so best to conserve it. Let he pay for her own gas , once that starts to add up she'll ease off on the lead foot ;)

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4298 on: September 3, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »
Is there something different between US and UK petrol? Because I keep hearing UK drivers moan about petrol prices, but then come out with vastly better mpg numbers.

I live in the states (Chicago, no cheap petty here) and drive:

2007 Honda CRV - 17.7mpg
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T - 17.8mpg

Weirdly they are pretty much identical at the moment. Why are mine so low? I do drive a bit like a rally driver, but it can't make that much difference

Oh and I bought my Volvo at 93k - its now at 94k, and I've had to spend about two grand on it! Front suspension, pcv breather kit, link bars, radiator.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4299 on: September 3, 2015, 08:04:19 pm »
Is there something different between US and UK petrol? Because I keep hearing UK drivers moan about petrol prices, but then come out with vastly better mpg numbers.

2007 Honda CRV - 17.7mpg

Weirdly they are pretty much identical at the moment. Why are mine so low? I do drive a bit like a rally driver, but it can't make that much difference

Oh and I bought my Volvo at 93k - its now at 94k, and I've had to spend about two grand on it! Front suspension, pcv breather kit, link bars, radiator.

US gallons are smaller are they not ?

EDIT.

US Gallon is 3.78 litres
Uk Gallon is 4.54 litres
« Last Edit: September 3, 2015, 08:30:37 pm by Lord of Glencoe »

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4300 on: September 3, 2015, 10:05:27 pm »
I'd assume the Americans get less MPG because of all of the short journeys they take, they just don't walk anywhere. If they are a 2 car family, they drive their first car 50 yards just to get to the second car.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #4301 on: September 3, 2015, 10:43:53 pm »
I'd assume the Americans get less MPG because of all of the short journeys they take, they just don't walk anywhere. If they are a 2 car family, they drive their first car 50 yards just to get to the second car.

I do have a really long driveway.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4302 on: September 4, 2015, 12:07:58 am »

2007 Honda CRV - 17.7mpg

American versions of the same car will often have bigger thirstier petrol engines as fuel consumption isn't as much of an issue. Both cars you mentioned are almost certainly petrol where as the equivalent in Europe would be diesel. 

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4303 on: September 4, 2015, 01:03:16 am »
Corkboy loves a Subaru Outback....

Pretty much the coolest car on the planet (2001 - 2006) the new ones are too big

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4304 on: September 4, 2015, 01:00:48 pm »
Don't mock the afflicted.
Tepid's been soothing irritations in the TWAT all summer ;D :wave

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4305 on: September 6, 2015, 02:21:11 am »
My mrs bought one of these this week:

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4306 on: September 6, 2015, 10:47:21 am »
Anyone use Winter tyres ?

I'll be getting a new car before November, part of me thinks I should be getting a 4 wheel drive of some sort, part of me thinks I don't need the extra year round expense.  :-\

Used to have a Grand Cherokee with all season tyres on it that would go anywhere I pointed it. But I've never used a car and gone from Summer to Winter tyres. I've just acquired some for my V70 that should give me the extra grip I need in icy/light snow.
However, I don't think the roads will be gritted/cleared within 2 miles of my house, and there's a short, but fairly steep hill to get me off my lane.

I don't mind sensible expenditure, because neither of us gets paid if we don't get to work so it makes sense to invest some money in what could be a problem in the next couple of months.

Toying with the idea of a cheap 'soft roader' to do me until spring to give me an idea of real world getting about, but if I can get away with decent winter tyres it would be better.

Either way, I will be getting a different car so no real extra expenditure. It's just what to go for...

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4307 on: September 6, 2015, 04:11:55 pm »
Winter tyres are great.  I use them Nov-Mar.  I was sold on them after driving a 3 series with winter wheels, in snow.  It made my front wheel drive Audi feel like an ice skate.  If you buy something that has 4WD for performance purposes (quattro, xdrive etc) you'll still be fucked in winter because of their fat low-profile tyres.  If you buy a 4x4 jeep you'll find yourself losing out on economy for the sake of a couple of weeks a year of shite weather.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4308 on: September 6, 2015, 08:18:06 pm »
Winter tyres are great.  I use them Nov-Mar.  I was sold on them after driving a 3 series with winter wheels, in snow.  It made my front wheel drive Audi feel like an ice skate.  If you buy something that has 4WD for performance purposes (quattro, xdrive etc) you'll still be fucked in winter because of their fat low-profile tyres. If you buy a 4x4 jeep you'll find yourself losing out on economy for the sake of a couple of weeks a year of shite weather.

That's my dilemma.

It's her car we're replacing. The winter tyres on mine should do as long as it doesn't snow heavily.
Thing is, it's our first winter up here and we don't know to what extent the roads are gritted/cleared when it snows.

Certainly not going back to a real 4x4.

Tempted to get a CRV/Forester/Outback/Rav4 type vehicle. She only goes 6 miles to work so it rules out a diesel, unless I use the new one for work, which can be anything from 20-100 miles a day. And I don't want the cost of running a big 4x4 every day.

Thing is, her car fails the MOT in November, so we need something sharpish.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #4309 on: September 6, 2015, 08:57:00 pm »
Get either the Forrester, outback, or Rav4, I have driven years with my outback in the snow and ice without using winter tyres, never had a problem, even with inches of ice and well over a foot of snow.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4310 on: September 6, 2015, 09:11:06 pm »
Still got my Astra 1.7 CDTi

120,000 on the clock and still going strong from new.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4311 on: September 6, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »
That's my dilemma.

It's her car we're replacing. The winter tyres on mine should do as long as it doesn't snow heavily.
Thing is, it's our first winter up here and we don't know to what extent the roads are gritted/cleared when it snows.

Certainly not going back to a real 4x4.

Tempted to get a CRV/Forester/Outback/Rav4 type vehicle. She only goes 6 miles to work so it rules out a diesel, unless I use the new one for work, which can be anything from 20-100 miles a day. And I don't want the cost of running a big 4x4 every day.

Thing is, her car fails the MOT in November, so we need something sharpish.
What you've got to remember is that it doesn't snow everyday, ok you'll get some days where you get snowed in and you need a 4x4/winter tyres  but most of the time the roads will be pretty clear. I live in Slovenia 1100m up, we have snow cover for at least 3 months of the year, fuckin loads of it, but the roads are never really closed except when we have a big snowfall, then I might have to leave the car and walk up the hill. I have a shitty seat with winter tyres and really it's no problem, better than paying for some 4x4 monster that uses loads of fuel.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4312 on: September 6, 2015, 10:06:45 pm »

Tempted to get a CRV/Forester/Outback/Rav4 type vehicle.
Get either the Forrester, outback, or Rav4,

As a proud CRV driver for going on 8 years now, through Chicago winters, I'd like to tell Crimson Tank to go fk himself for that shocking bit of disrespect

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4313 on: September 6, 2015, 10:55:07 pm »
As a proud CRV driver for going on 8 years now, through Chicago winters, I'd like to tell Crimson Tank to go fk himself for that shocking bit of disrespect

;D

After spending a good portion of today researching reviews online I can inform you that the crv is as good a 'soft roader' as you can get.
 :)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4314 on: September 7, 2015, 01:25:33 am »
::)
Chicago, with your decent snow removal and salt trucks...

Southern Illinois laughs at you.  :P

The CRV is decent, my mother in law just bought one. But if I recall correctly, it is on a civic chassy, but more top heavy. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4315 on: September 11, 2015, 09:15:16 am »
Winter tyres are great.  I use them Nov-Mar.  I was sold on them after driving a 3 series with winter wheels, in snow.  It made my front wheel drive Audi feel like an ice skate.  If you buy something that has 4WD for performance purposes (quattro, xdrive etc) you'll still be fucked in winter because of their fat low-profile tyres.  If you buy a 4x4 jeep you'll find yourself losing out on economy for the sake of a couple of weeks a year of shite weather.
driving in the snow is at times terrifying

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4316 on: September 11, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »
Just bought a trailer for my sleek red machine:

Spoiler

[close]
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4317 on: September 11, 2015, 01:53:07 pm »
Nice Sami, I wish I had the trailer too!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4318 on: September 11, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »
Nice Sami, I wish I had the trailer too!

you wouldn't wish for the bit where I had to put the trailer hitch together, effing and jeffing in the garden with the drill though ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #4319 on: September 13, 2015, 09:34:54 pm »

Looking to upgrade to a Nissan Qashqai on a personal lease deal though - had one for a weekend recently and was very impressed.

Can thoroughly recommend the Qashqai - reliable, economical and if you get into the Accenta or Tekna, then they've got loads of kit for the £. My missus has been using it for the school run and work for the past 12 months, and it hasn't been anything other than perfect.

I'm going electric as of the end of the month. Big step, but I think it's the future.