Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 486655 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #4400 on: April 1, 2016, 04:36:37 pm »
Tesla 3 isn't likely to be out until end of 2017, some saying into 2018, so got a bit of a wait yet for it.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4401 on: April 4, 2016, 05:36:30 pm »
Yup, and they can only produce around half a million of them per year, worldwide and full production isn't expected til 2018 (RHD versions are likely to be last in the queue).  By then, other established manufactors with a better reputation for quality (Tesla have had well-publicised reliability and build quality issues) will be offering even more plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #4402 on: April 4, 2016, 06:37:55 pm »
Tesla 3 isn't likely to be out until end of 2017, some saying into 2018, so got a bit of a wait yet for it.

A friend of mine put his grand down, along with the other quarter of a million people, he is expecting delivery Sept 2017 but that is subject to change.  This is certainly a big uptick for Telsa in terms of manufacturing out-put - will be very interesting to see how they deal with the demand.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4403 on: April 4, 2016, 06:42:40 pm »
A friend of mine put his grand down, along with the other quarter of a million people, he is expecting delivery Sept 2017 but that is subject to change.  This is certainly a big uptick for Telsa in terms of manufacturing out-put - will be very interesting to see how they deal with the demand.

Yep. Elon Musk said today they were expecting 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount of pre-orders that they've received so far.

They're gonna have to make a decision to push production capability quicker than planned, or have a lot of people waiting a long while for their cars.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4404 on: April 4, 2016, 08:27:25 pm »
No way will they deliver a quarter of a million by the end of 2017.  Especially not RHD versions.  I would say that most UK people will be waiting until mid-late 2018.

We should have 200-250mile range versions of the EGolf, Nissan Leaf, and Chevy Volt on sale by then and a rumoured 300mile range Audi Q6. I imagine BMW's i range will have some additions/improvements too. At the upper end of the market, there'll be an e-tron version of the Audi R8 in the next few years and even Aston Martin are getting in on it.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #4405 on: April 4, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »
No way will they deliver a quarter of a million by the end of 2017.  Especially not RHD versions.  I would say that most UK people will be waiting until mid-late 2018.

I should have stated I am on t'other side of pond.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4406 on: April 5, 2016, 08:44:06 am »
Thinking of a new car for myself. Quite like the 5 series new shape but would be an older model maybe 2011/12 at best. Never driven a 5 series - but have driven an E class 2009 model for a few months but mainly had Mondeos and Accords.

Mainly a motorway driver so looking for something comfortable - are you gaining much more than size over a 3 series?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #4407 on: April 5, 2016, 09:20:51 am »

The name gave it away for me bud ;) don't worry about it

When ya get one, wack some pics on here.

Took one of these for a spin yesterday (doing loads of test drives atm, just for fun) it is the M version of my car but the new shape (mine is a 2008 body shape 1 series 118)

It was lovely, really liked it, interior is lush too

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4408 on: April 5, 2016, 11:39:47 am »

Whoops, didn't look at the name.  Even still, I could see it being 2018 for most.  The 2017 E-Golf is an interesting proposition I think.  I've owned VW/Audi cars for years and love the build quality/reliability.  A 200 mile electric version of the Golf would be a winner if priced right.

Thinking of a new car for myself. Quite like the 5 series new shape but would be an older model maybe 2011/12 at best. Never driven a 5 series - but have driven an E class 2009 model for a few months but mainly had Mondeos and Accords.

Mainly a motorway driver so looking for something comfortable - are you gaining much more than size over a 3 series?

I'm looking for a 2012/13 3-series at the moment given that my wife has taken on our 'new' car as her own.  I've driven a couple and they're absolutely superb.  I'm not as keen on my brother's 2014 5-serie, mainly because it feels much bigger to me  - but I've never owned anything bigger than a 3 series touring, and my current car is an A3. If you don't need the bigger sized car, the 3 is cheaper and better to drive (imho).

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #4409 on: April 5, 2016, 01:22:34 pm »
Whoops, didn't look at the name.  Even still, I could see it being 2018 for most.  The 2017 E-Golf is an interesting proposition I think.  I've owned VW/Audi cars for years and love the build quality/reliability.  A 200 mile electric version of the Golf would be a winner if priced right.

I'm looking for a 2012/13 3-series at the moment given that my wife has taken on our 'new' car as her own.  I've driven a couple and they're absolutely superb.  I'm not as keen on my brother's 2014 5-serie, mainly because it feels much bigger to me  - but I've never owned anything bigger than a 3 series touring, and my current car is an A3. If you don't need the bigger sized car, the 3 is cheaper and better to drive (imho).

Yea I've driven a 3 series once and it does feel better than most cars sort of thought 5 series might trump it a bit but with being bigger not sure how that would work. I'm actually thinking of the touring\estate mainly for convenience for trips away and was parked next to a 3 recently and thought it might be more than ample. Obviously I'll have to have a road test of them before going ahead hopefully in the summer - maybe september time.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4410 on: April 5, 2016, 06:56:48 pm »
Yea I've driven a 3 series once and it does feel better than most cars sort of thought 5 series might trump it a bit but with being bigger not sure how that would work. I'm actually thinking of the touring\estate mainly for convenience for trips away and was parked next to a 3 recently and thought it might be more than ample. Obviously I'll have to have a road test of them before going ahead hopefully in the summer - maybe september time.

I previously owned a 3 series touring and it was fantastic. I would choose one over the 5 series any day, but that's obviously subjective. The only thing that put me off buying another 3 series before now was that it didn't deal too well with country roads in the snow... or any roads in the snow...  and at that stage it was our only car. 

The current shape 3 series is an absolute dream to drive and I'll probably be getting one in the next couple of months. I still don't think that the 1, 3 or 5 series interiors can compete with Audi though.  My A3 feels so much better inside than all 3 of them and it's not as 'premium' as a 3 or 5 series. 

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #4411 on: April 5, 2016, 08:49:43 pm »
In the process of buying a specced-up Nissan Juke for the wife. Anyone got one?
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #4412 on: April 5, 2016, 09:51:09 pm »
Looking on a new car myself. I've currently got a Polo 1.2 60 plate. Autotrader says selling it private I could get around 4500. Part exchange would be 3500. However, it has a few scratches and dints on it, I'd be lucky to get £4000 I think.

I went into BMW looking at a 1 series. He said if I was to do a deal with them, they would take the Polo off me for 4 grand (as that's what I owe on the car) - and they'd give me a cheque for it. They'd then give me a 1 series 118i Sport petrol for a £500 deposit and under £280-300 a month over 3/4 years on a PCP deal.

Anyone who knows cars - is this a good deal? Any thoughts in general? Not clued up on cars to be honest.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #4413 on: April 6, 2016, 08:00:43 am »
I previously owned a 3 series touring and it was fantastic. I would choose one over the 5 series any day, but that's obviously subjective. The only thing that put me off buying another 3 series before now was that it didn't deal too well with country roads in the snow... or any roads in the snow...  and at that stage it was our only car. 

The current shape 3 series is an absolute dream to drive and I'll probably be getting one in the next couple of months. I still don't think that the 1, 3 or 5 series interiors can compete with Audi though.  My A3 feels so much better inside than all 3 of them and it's not as 'premium' as a 3 or 5 series. 

I quite like the Audi but only latterly been swayed by the BMW, Originally i was thinking new shape C Class but seem to get a lot of car for similar money could get a lot of BMW and thats when I started looking at the 5 series. Ulitmately I'd like to be getting my hands of the new shapre E Class mercedes but it will be a few years old.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #4414 on: April 6, 2016, 08:01:30 am »

My sisters got one and not massively impressed with it. Says its a bit tinny but just a basic model

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4415 on: April 6, 2016, 09:44:12 am »
Nope, but I was in the market for a vehicle in that sort of cross-over SUV type, and checked them all out before settling on the Suzuki Vitara. A whole lot of car for comparatively little money. Took delivery of it last week and, I have to say, am very impressed with spec, comfort, ride and finish.
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4416 on: April 6, 2016, 01:05:25 pm »
Looking on a new car myself. I've currently got a Polo 1.2 60 plate. Autotrader says selling it private I could get around 4500. Part exchange would be 3500. However, it has a few scratches and dints on it, I'd be lucky to get £4000 I think.

I went into BMW looking at a 1 series. He said if I was to do a deal with them, they would take the Polo off me for 4 grand (as that's what I owe on the car) - and they'd give me a cheque for it. They'd then give me a 1 series 118i Sport petrol for a £500 deposit and under £280-300 a month over 3/4 years on a PCP deal.

Anyone who knows cars - is this a good deal? Any thoughts in general? Not clued up on cars to be honest.

Yeah, that's an alright deal. I would go to Audi and check what they'll offer you before buying - they've amazing deals on the A3 at the moment because a facelifted version is due in Sept. At the very least it might push BMW into giving you a better deal.  Buy your GAP insurance from a broker rather than the dealer, too.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2016, 02:44:58 pm by thejbs »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #4417 on: April 6, 2016, 02:42:59 pm »

If memory serves, Killer Heels used to tool around in one..
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4418 on: April 6, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »
The name gave it away for me bud ;) don't worry about it

When ya get one, wack some pics on here.

Took one of these for a spin yesterday (doing loads of test drives atm, just for fun) it is the M version of my car but the new shape (mine is a 2008 body shape 1 series 118)

It was lovely, really liked it, interior is lush too

Getting my one of these delivered this week. 2 litre Sport, had a 1.6 a while ago and it was a lovely little car

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #4419 on: April 6, 2016, 05:55:12 pm »
Getting my one of these delivered this week. 2 litre Sport, had a 1.6 a while ago and it was a lovely little car

Be quite nippy that mate, am I right in thinking the 2.0 sport has got a low pressure turbo on it?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4420 on: April 7, 2016, 09:08:07 pm »

Fella at work has got a 64 plate on lease, specced right up. He loves it and hasn't had any problems with it so far.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline portRUSHred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4421 on: April 7, 2016, 10:47:17 pm »
Yes unfortunately have her for 25 years now!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4422 on: April 7, 2016, 10:52:32 pm »
Haha, good work.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4423 on: April 8, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »
We ordered her new car today. Juke 1.6 DiG-T 190HP in Tekna spec (full leather, sat nav, DAB, reversing camera, heated seats, every electronic gizmo you can think of) with Exterior+ pack (colour coded mirrors and bits and 18" colour coded alloys). The car is Pearl Black, so will look pretty mean on black 18s. The 6 week wait is going to kill her I think!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4424 on: April 8, 2016, 05:49:28 pm »
We ordered her new car today. Juke 1.6 DiG-T 190HP in Tekna spec (full leather, sat nav, DAB, reversing camera, heated seats, every electronic gizmo you can think of) with Exterior+ pack (colour coded mirrors and bits and 18" colour coded alloys). The car is Pearl Black, so will look pretty mean on black 18s. The 6 week wait is going to kill her I think!

Speaking to the fella in work today who's got a Juke, he says he loves his and is deffo getting another when his current lease runs out in 10 months.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4425 on: April 8, 2016, 07:05:37 pm »
If memory serves, Killer Heels used to tool around in one..

Nah. Driven one a few times though, its a good car.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4426 on: April 9, 2016, 01:42:45 am »
Looking to buy my first car as I'll be starting a new job in a couple of months which is based away from home.

Is it worth leasing?

Been looking online (will be doing a fair amount of motorway driving, so looking at decent engine size) and saw a 6 year old Mercedes C Class that caught my eye for a pretty decent price and mileage. Is it worth buying Mercs/BMW once they're a few years old? Are they quite reliable or should I plump for something else instead?
« Last Edit: April 9, 2016, 01:45:32 am by bornandbRED »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4427 on: April 9, 2016, 09:12:59 am »
Looking to buy my first car as I'll be starting a new job in a couple of months which is based away from home.

Is it worth leasing?

Been looking online (will be doing a fair amount of motorway driving, so looking at decent engine size) and saw a 6 year old Mercedes C Class that caught my eye for a pretty decent price and mileage. Is it worth buying Mercs/BMW once they're a few years old? Are they quite reliable or should I plump for something else instead?

Look for a few years old BMW they are generally pretty reliable. Also dont lease. You are better off getting a loan and buying the car outright.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4428 on: April 9, 2016, 04:50:25 pm »
Nah. Driven one a few times though, its a good car.
Ah ok.

Glad you got some new wheels coming Imperator.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4429 on: April 9, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »
Buy don't lease and used BMW are quite reliable, as are Audi, Volvo, and of course, my personal favourite, subarus.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4430 on: April 9, 2016, 04:54:47 pm »

Is it worth leasing?

L666 KLOPP will tell you to get a Volvo. You'll get a lot of car for your money and reliability too.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4431 on: April 9, 2016, 04:57:03 pm »
^ this guy CT and his fkn subaru fetish

Well I had a nice surprise yesterday - have an 07 CR-V, got a recall notice a few weeks ago related to some potentially dangerous airbag issue, the notice said they don't even have the parts to fix it yet and won't for months, so I ignored it. Well the mother in law was getting at the wife about it, the danger aspect, and made her call the dealership - long story short they've given us a rental voucher that we can use until the recall parts come in (could be August!). Currently driving a Dodge Challenger R/T, ridiculous muscle car, 5.8L V8. I can keep dealing with Enterprise (rental company) and get whatever car I want for the next few months. God bless faulty airbags!  ;D

« Last Edit: April 9, 2016, 04:59:00 pm by Mumm-Ra »

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4432 on: April 23, 2016, 11:05:07 am »
can anyone tell me which care is best with  automatic gearbox ? i only got automatic licence and i have had a renault clio 1991  nissan micra 1987 and vw polo 1996 and  last car was ford focus 2001 that gearbox dided and it will cost £1500 to replace which is worth more than the car
i have budget of £3000 it has to be reliable 5 doors and look good too. :wave
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4433 on: April 23, 2016, 01:35:10 pm »

Got rid of my 02 plate Saxo VTR and the missus sold her 107 for a 64 plate version of this so we've got something with five doors and a decent boot for when the baby arrives next month.  Suits us fine and runs really well.  Still not used to first gear though and there's a noise on the rear offside wheel so getting it looked at next week.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4434 on: April 25, 2016, 10:14:30 am »
There's nothing inherently wrong with leasing. As with everything, do the sums and get the best deal. If that's leasing then so be it. Or if your someone who doesn't care much about deals, and you want a new car every few years then you'll take way less of a hit by leasing.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #4435 on: April 25, 2016, 10:47:07 am »
just looked at a very nice c max ghia. Its got 67K on the clock 05 plate and had 2 owners (1st was fords the 2nd was private owner). The dealers have said they are going to replace the clutch before selling it. Should I be worried that a clutch going at 67K could mean it's been abused and would I need to look out for any other problems.

Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #4436 on: April 25, 2016, 02:50:41 pm »
How's it going - any feedback? (Any tax breaks in the UK? I think it's a $7,500 deduction in the U.S and $750 towards the home charging outlet)
The $35,000 for the cheapest Tesla seems comparable in price to the Nissan Leaf. I also like the 8 year service schedule they have which is $4,000.

Hey mate - sorry for the delay.

Yeah - it's everything I'd hoped it would be and then some.
Once you've driven it and experienced all the benefits it's really, really difficult to understand why you'd stick with ICE vehicles to be honest.
Obviously if you need to drive 250+ miles a day it's not going to be a great choice as you have to be plan a bit more for those journeys that are longer than 250 miles, but I don't know many people who do that kind of mileage routinely.

I still grin when I get in it 7 months after buying it and I've got my deposit down for the Model 3 for 2018 arrival to replace my wife's Nissan.

I'm a bit evangelical about it because it's just one of those rare occurences in life when it makes sense for a host of reasons.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4437 on: April 25, 2016, 07:25:13 pm »
just looked at a very nice c max ghia. Its got 67K on the clock 05 plate and had 2 owners (1st was fords the 2nd was private owner). The dealers have said they are going to replace the clutch before selling it. Should I be worried that a clutch going at 67K could mean it's been abused and would I need to look out for any other problems.

Had a google and a few came up saying clutches had gone with less miles than the one you are looking at. Clutch wear will depend on the driving style of the driver and also where the car was used. If its somewhere hilly for example and the driver slips the clutch like mad, the clutch wont give a long life.

I wouldn't have said a C Max is the kind of car that would attract the kind of person who would rag them, so have a good look at the general overall condition of the car, look for signs of neglect.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4438 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »
^ this guy CT and his fkn subaru fetish

Well I had a nice surprise yesterday - have an 07 CR-V, got a recall notice a few weeks ago related to some potentially dangerous airbag issue, the notice said they don't even have the parts to fix it yet and won't for months, so I ignored it. Well the mother in law was getting at the wife about it, the danger aspect, and made her call the dealership - long story short they've given us a rental voucher that we can use until the recall parts come in (could be August!). Currently driving a Dodge Challenger R/T, ridiculous muscle car, 5.8L V8. I can keep dealing with Enterprise (rental company) and get whatever car I want for the next few months. God bless faulty airbags!  ;D

How do you find the charger? I like it better then the new camero.

And yes I love my subarus. Deal.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #4439 on: April 26, 2016, 07:43:25 am »
Had a google and a few came up saying clutches had gone with less miles than the one you are looking at. Clutch wear will depend on the driving style of the driver and also where the car was used. If its somewhere hilly for example and the driver slips the clutch like mad, the clutch wont give a long life.

I wouldn't have said a C Max is the kind of car that would attract the kind of person who would rag them, so have a good look at the general overall condition of the car, look for signs of neglect.
Southend isn't exactly a hilly area, discussed with the missus and we both thought there could be any number of reasons why it needs a new clutch, general wear and tear, poorly driven, clutch rider etc. Given that the dealer was doing the work that would save me a few hundred pounds in the future I decided to go and buy it. Gave the car a good going over on the 2nd viewing and when I put the aircon on there was a horrible whining noise coming from the aircon unit, spoke to the dealer (different bloke to the first viewing) about it and he basically told me it was due to the engine being steamed clean and having dry belts, he then proceeded to spray wd40 all over the belts and said well it is an old car!!! Now I am no expert but I don't think you should spray wd40 all over rubber belts....decided to walk away
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds