Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2824036 times)

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #4280 on: September 8, 2008, 10:31:28 pm »
Oh and please show some love for Da Bears...

bears looked good last night i though, solid performance on the road, matt forte looked very accomplished already!

needed the colts to lose after our shite start again!

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #4281 on: September 8, 2008, 10:36:25 pm »

Sep 2001, 0-2 Pats star QB Bledsoe goes down, unknown,untested Brady is set to start next week....finish the story.

Not to mention how freakishly talented their offense is, and the averageness of the AFC east, pats will make playoffs.

Point taken!
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4282 on: September 9, 2008, 04:05:39 am »
Looked like it could have been a cheap shot on tom to me, and if it was i hope pollard's happy with himself. Was looking forward to this season too, fuck. Looks like i will have to back the vikings beyond the reg season, for my bets sake.
If this week is any indication, you might be better off just sticking with your Pats. Tavaris Jackson is truly awful.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4283 on: September 9, 2008, 06:38:30 am »
Matt Cassel isn't Tom Brady, nor will he ever be.

He hasn't got the talent, the intensity, the smarts, the decision making ability, or the single minded will to win and competitiveness that Tommy boy has.

I do hope however that he will be an effective game manager, which is all the Pats need him to be.  Get the run game going (Pats were averaging 4.5 ypc last year, and that was up to around 5.5 ypc against KC on Sunday), and make sure that Cassel doesn't have many third and forever's to make.  Rule number 1 for him though is don't turn the ball over.

If he begins to turn it over, then we'll be in trouble, and so will his career.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4284 on: September 9, 2008, 06:42:11 am »
To the new NFL fan - stick with the sport fella, if you like your passing Quarterbacks keep your eyes on Peyton Manning of the Colts, who is just as good as Brady.  There's also Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints), Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys), and Brett Favre (New York Jets).

Please don't develop a fondness for the last team though, their fans are morons.  I'd liken them to Geordies :)
Believe.

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #4285 on: September 9, 2008, 11:22:17 am »
So any big predictions folks?

I am gonna go with the following Divisional winners/runners up:

Vikings
Lions
Not a great start ;)
@_michaelgill

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4286 on: September 9, 2008, 12:59:52 pm »
that royal bloke was class for denver last night,
« Last Edit: September 9, 2008, 01:01:23 pm by grimreaper »

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4287 on: September 9, 2008, 01:15:45 pm »
In reference to the AFC East being average - the Bills are actually looking very good this season, the Jets have improved greatly and so have Miami. Think the division is much better this season all up (admittedly I'm a Jets fan!)
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #4288 on: September 9, 2008, 01:39:02 pm »
In reference to the AFC East being average - the Bills are actually looking very good this season, the Jets have improved greatly and so have Miami. Think the division is much better this season all up (admittedly I'm a Jets fan!)

If Brady didn't go out would any of them make the playoffs? Debatable at best, now there's 3 who feel they are in witha shout of the division.

Fins fan, we still suck.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Sid7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4289 on: September 9, 2008, 02:11:39 pm »
Da Bengels to make the superbowl this year !!!
And I'll hammer my point home again - you're worrying about nothing and making yourself look stupid.
- After Manchester City takeover by the  Abu Dhabi United Group

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4290 on: September 9, 2008, 02:45:14 pm »
The bengals with their o line will be lucky to make the playoffs. Shame because with the passing weapons they have they should be great.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4291 on: September 9, 2008, 05:14:10 pm »

I don't think it is either.  The Bills were close to hitting the Playoffs last year as it was, now they've got all their injured players back, and have added some class in the Draft.  The Jets have to be better simply because of the players they've signed in FA.  Plus they drafted pretty well.  And their schedule is relatively easy.

Even the Phins could win 5 or 6 games.  I think at the end of the season, 3 of the 4 teams could have 9-10 wins, which would make it one of the strongest divisions in the league.

One thing is for certain, with Tommy going down, it's a hell of a lot more interesting.
Believe.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4292 on: September 9, 2008, 05:16:24 pm »

There's more chance of Hull winning the Premier League :)
Believe.

Offline lookieman

• Kopite
« Reply #4293 on: September 9, 2008, 06:07:10 pm »
The bengals with their o line will be lucky to make the playoffs. Shame because with the passing weapons they have they should be great.

not to mention their non-existence defence. for a coach coming from the defensive side of the game, Marvin Lewis' Bengals suck at defence.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4294 on: September 9, 2008, 07:35:24 pm »
AFC East is still a just an average division even though it looks improved over last season. They still are only going to put one team in the playoffs and that is the Pats.  The Bills will be in the race this year, but I don't see them beating 2 out of Jacksonville, Cleveland, or Denver.  Pats will still boss it by at least 3 games, they still have a great D, solid O- line, solid running backs, great wide receivers, solid tight ends, and one of the best coaches in the NFL (makes sick to say it)

Offline DC8

• Main Stander
« Reply #4295 on: September 9, 2008, 07:42:24 pm »

Simply by judging it from week 1, yes, it's a wide open division now. as a Bills fan, there was some realistic hope of challenging for the wild card going in to this year, and with the D and special teams clicking the way the are at the moment there isn't a team in the league who wants to come to Buffalo. As long as Edwards can stay consistent and Lynch stays healthy the Bills have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #4296 on: September 9, 2008, 08:25:18 pm »
<------ Seahawks Fan

Simply by judging it from week 1, yes, it's a wide open division now. as a Bills fan, there was some realistic hope of challenging for the wild card going in to this year, and with the D and special teams clicking the way the are at the moment there isn't a team in the league who wants to come to Buffalo. As long as Edwards can stay consistent and Lynch stays healthy the Bills have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.
I don't think you should take too much away from the game against the Seahawks.

They didn't have any receivers who played any significant time last year (Burleson played, but got injured in the game and is now out for the year). So the Bills could stack the box to defend the run and force Seattle to pass to inexperienced wide outs. It didn't help that they had to travel to the eastern time zone (three hours difference) and play a game at 1:00pm (10:00am Pacific). The Seahawks were never going to be good under those conditions. A one dimensional team that was jet lagged, wait until Buffalo plays some more games before putting them in the playoffs.

The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4297 on: September 9, 2008, 08:45:05 pm »
The Seahawks under holmgren have a TERRRRIBLE record when they travel west to east.

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #4298 on: September 9, 2008, 08:51:24 pm »
The Seahawks under holmgren have a TERRRRIBLE record when they travel west to east.
Yes, I know.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4299 on: September 9, 2008, 10:13:09 pm »
Very pleased with Aaron Rogers last night. Did exactly what we needed him to do against a very good defence - managed the offence and didn't turn the ball over. And aside from one botched snap, he looked very assured. That touchdown pass he threw was a little bit Favre-esque as well, improvising and forcing it into the hands of a receiver under pretty severe pressure. 18 of 22 for 170 yards, one touchdown and a rushing touchdown, no interceptions - pretty damn good debut, long may it continue.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline DC8

• Main Stander
« Reply #4300 on: September 10, 2008, 12:17:22 am »

I don't think you should take too much away from the game against the Seahawks.

They didn't have any receivers who played any significant time last year (Burleson played, but got injured in the game and is now out for the year). So the Bills could stack the box to defend the run and force Seattle to pass to inexperienced wide outs. It didn't help that they had to travel to the eastern time zone (three hours difference) and play a game at 1:00pm (10:00am Pacific). The Seahawks were never going to be good under those conditions. A one dimensional team that was jet lagged, wait until Buffalo plays some more games before putting them in the playoffs.

All I said is that they now have a shot at the playoffs, we're not planning a parade like those down in Dallas. And there were some positives, even though they played a jet lagged high school team( first opening day win since '05, 2 special team TD's, Tom Brady's knee, Robert Royal finally emerging as TE threat and most importantly very few mistakes). Now up next we got JAX with a banged up O-Line, followed by Oakland who may have trouble with a jet lagged high school team, Rams and the Cards, not saying they'll win those, but they look nice on paper. Obviously way too early judge but for once there is some hope in Buffalo

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #4301 on: September 10, 2008, 03:32:33 am »
All I said is that they now have a shot at the playoffs, we're not planning a parade like those down in Dallas. And there were some positives, even though they played a jet lagged high school team( first opening day win since '05, 2 special team TD's, Tom Brady's knee, Robert Royal finally emerging as TE threat and most importantly very few mistakes). Now up next we got JAX with a banged up O-Line, followed by Oakland who may have trouble with a jet lagged high school team, Rams and the Cards, not saying they'll win those, but they look nice on paper. Obviously way too early judge but for once there is some hope in Buffalo
I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just trying to say that I think the Bills looked better Sunday than they actually are. So to take too much from that game is dangerous. Of course they have a chance at the playoffs, with the AFC East now a toss up. I don't think the Pats will struggle as much as everyone seems to think they will. They are too good in so many facets of the game that Cassel won't have to play to Brady levels for them to win. That being said, they won't blow out teams this year. The games will be much closer.

Man Seattle sucked on Sunday.

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4302 on: September 10, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »

The Bungles will be lucky to win 7 games this season...
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4303 on: September 10, 2008, 08:24:49 pm »
any of you guys hearing about the Vince Young story?  Kind of strange, but not that surprising.  Never rated him as an NFL prospect anyway.  Got waaaaay to much hype after running through a not very good USC defense in the Naitonal Championship game.  Wouldn't even have gotten the oportunity if Winston Justice or Lendale White would have had some balls or determination on 4th and 1, also if Reggie Bush wouldn't have randomly pitched the ball backwards like he was on the All Blacks, it could have been a runaway.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #4304 on: September 10, 2008, 08:33:03 pm »
The selection of Vince Young by Tennessee was a reach in my opinion and I recall voicing my thoughts on here with one guy who took exception. For one thing the guy clearly can't handle adversity as we saw yet again on Sunday. Booed unmercifully by the home crowd and basically sulking like a child. Gimme a break. Of course, being a relatively poor and inaccurate passer of the football is another drawback.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:41:21 pm by ALPH1217 »

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4305 on: September 10, 2008, 11:55:18 pm »
I like Vince Young, don't know why, he is nothing special.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #4306 on: September 11, 2008, 12:07:05 am »
I think vince young is shit.

That is all.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #4307 on: September 11, 2008, 12:09:21 am »
dont rate young but it was stupid booing him on sunday.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4308 on: September 11, 2008, 01:15:23 am »
Whether he's average or whatever, he clearly needs help and support.  Depression is a terrible thing.
Believe.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4309 on: September 11, 2008, 08:08:51 am »
It was complete bullshit when Vince Young won rookie of the year in a season when he threw more INTs than TDs and a a 66.7 QB rating.  Both Jones-Drew and Joseph Addai would have been better candidates.  I think it was more a case of the AP trying to make up for Vince Young not winning the Heisman (which he would have not deserved, Reggie Bush won the Heisman by the largest margin in history that season (only to be broken by Troy Smith the next year (a fact makes me want to slit my wrists))))

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4310 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01:51 am »
Went 7 of 8 for my acca last week (bastard Lions)

Selections for week 2:

Packers (-3)
Titans (+1)
Steelers (-6)
Colts (-1)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4311 on: September 13, 2008, 12:23:38 am »
Whether he's average or whatever, he clearly needs help and support.  Depression is a terrible thing.

apparently he was contemplating suicide, driving off with a gun - got a horrible feeling about this will end

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/09/12/titans.young.suicide.talk.ap/index.html

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #4312 on: September 13, 2008, 11:45:12 pm »
just announced that the texans-ravens game has been put back to week 10 cause of Ike

Offline Jankulovski

• Kopite
« Reply #4313 on: September 14, 2008, 11:39:19 am »
Does anyone have links to a basic guide to the terminology and possibly a site that streams the games?
George Foreman: This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #4314 on: September 14, 2008, 11:59:56 am »
Does anyone have links to a basic guide to the terminology and possibly a site that streams the games?

Basic guide to the game

Streaming site

:wave
DAMMIT!

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4315 on: September 14, 2008, 12:08:39 pm »

That link will serve you well, but if you want anything in English, just ask, we'll be able to explain it easier :)
Believe.

Offline Jankulovski

• Kopite
« Reply #4316 on: September 14, 2008, 12:25:23 pm »
Thanks a lot. I have a vague understanding but whenever I see highlights I have not got a clue what anyone is talking about.
George Foreman: This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4317 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57:47 pm »
My fleaflicker is just fucked. Colston is out for a month and a half, Brady for season, Barber is now playing with an injury apparently, Marshall could bomb after his arrest. All my points scorers going down, need Gore to step up.

Jaguars, Chiefs and Vikings are all good bets today for me. I also fancy the niners for an upset at Seattle.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:40:57 pm by Tom_B »

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4318 on: September 14, 2008, 06:33:47 pm »
i'm open to trades.

Are you gonna change your name now from Tom_B to Matt_C? ;)

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4319 on: September 14, 2008, 06:39:55 pm »
i'm open to trades.

Are you gonna change your name now from Tom_B to Matt_C? ;)

Tom B is my real name, so not likely, haha.

What trades are you open to?

Rodgers looking impressive for the Pack.