Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4235100 times)

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #440 on: January 12, 2006, 09:24:54 pm »
"I'm confident Floyd will beat anyone in the world. Hatton's going to be a punch bag because he's got no defence.

"He's a tough guy and takes risks. But against Floyd, those risks are going to cost him."

Couple of quotes from Roger Mayweather. I think hes hit the nail right on the head there. Hatton will be eating punches all night, I dont think he'll get the chance to lay on Floyds chest personally. One thing the Mayweathers must remember though, Hatton, unlike a punchbag keeps coming at  you and digging you in the body all night too. It should be a great fight.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: January 13, 2006, 12:04:58 pm »
Hatton took some ones flush on the jaw from probably the hardest puncher the 140's have seen in decades in K.T., and still came forward. Mayweather won't be staying around to get hit, unlike Tszyu, though.

I would be worried about the reffing though, because there are a couple of things Hatton might not be able to get away with against Floyd. To me its a shame it will probably be on in the States...I think there would be a much better bout at 4 in  the morning in England...not that that will ever happen.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline MrEcho

• Anny Roader
  • Destroy all nations
« Reply #442 on: January 13, 2006, 12:14:40 pm »
Hatton may not take the same approach as he has in other fights if he fights PBF. I think hatton is very versatile and he will work on any discrepancies in his game before he fights.

For this reason i think that there is only ever one winner in this fight, Hatton. No doubt pbf is the better boxer but Hatton has got fitness, versatility, a good chin and is stronger than pbf. Would be a good fight tho.
The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
« Reply #443 on: January 13, 2006, 01:31:30 pm »
I agree MrEcho....

Hatton hasn't got a weakness in his defence but does cut easy which I know isn't ideal.
The hitman still has enough in his locker to finish off PBF just as much as he has to destroy Ricky.

It would be a whopping fight though

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: January 13, 2006, 09:30:45 pm »
How can you say he has a better chin than Mayweather? Mayweather has never been on his arse, Hatton has, by Eamonn Magee of all people. It should be a cracking fight, but I just cant see anyone beating Floyd, he is that good. Hope Ricky can, im behind him all the way

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #445 on: January 14, 2006, 10:52:52 pm »
I see Corallis V Castillio (sp) has been postponed due to a rib injury to deigo  :(

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: January 14, 2006, 10:55:44 pm »
Fantastic little documentry about the greatest was on C5 late last night, you forget how good he actually was.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2006, 01:40:50 am »
I see Corallis V Castillio (sp) has been postponed due to a rib injury to deigo  :(

Aye gutted about that one :( Pac Man vs Morales 2 is this month tho isnt it?

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2006, 02:19:08 am »
Aye gutted about that one :( Pac Man vs Morales 2 is this month tho isnt it?
Yep next weekend

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: January 15, 2006, 02:24:31 am »
Cant wait for that like, I think its going to be great, Morales makes the easiest fights into a war, he cant fight any other way, and Pac man loves a brawl too, hope we get it on tv here!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: January 15, 2006, 02:33:11 am »
I fancy Pacman for this one,but if it lives up to mthe first one it won't really matter who wins only boxing.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: January 15, 2006, 12:17:18 pm »
Aye im leaning towards Pac man for this one too, dont ask me why like. Im not fooled by Morales losing to that guy a while back either. I know he'll give his all in this one.

Offline MrEcho

• Anny Roader
  • Destroy all nations
« Reply #452 on: January 16, 2006, 11:54:04 am »
How can you say he has a better chin than Mayweather? Mayweather has never been on his arse, Hatton has, by Eamonn Magee of all people. It should be a cracking fight, but I just cant see anyone beating Floyd, he is that good. Hope Ricky can, im behind him all the way

Magee was a flash knock down. Plus nobody said Hatton had a better chin just a good one. Anyway PBFs chin hasn't really been tested because he's so good at boxing.

I just reckon RH has got what it takes to be the man that tests it good and proper.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: January 16, 2006, 04:28:55 pm »
Read in the paper the other day about the Former Heavyweight Champ Leon Spinks, the young guy with the teeth missing in the front of his mouth, he beat Muhammed Ali towards the end of Ali's career as a 7 (i think it was 7) fight novice. Ali beat him in the rematch.

Anyway Spinks is now cleaning toilets for a living, it was a sad interview with him. He was never a great fighter but he still took his shot and done what any boxing fan dreams about. Won the heavyweight title, from Muhammed Ali! It must be so hard for someone to fall so far, its really sad. Hes a shadow of his former self. Found it a bit upsetting.

Magee was a flash knock down. Plus nobody said Hatton had a better chin just a good one. Anyway PBFs chin hasn't really been tested because he's so good at boxing.

I just reckon RH has got what it takes to be the man that tests it good and proper.

Its certainly a fight that will tell us a lot about both guys. Hatton will need to move a bit more and be a bit more clever than he was against Tyszu. Gatti was a simalar fighter to Hatton, a really good, not quite great fighter but Floyd made him look like an amatuer. I dont doubt Ricky is something special, the times ive seen Floyd tho hes blown me away. Hes deffo in the top 5 ive ever seen. And ive seen some great fighters, bit obsessive about it actually ;D Watch videos of the greats all the time, thats all thats ever on the tv in my house. The only ones id put above him in terms of technique, skill and natural talent would be Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard and Ali. Hes awesome.

Ricky should stop wasting time wanting to fight the likes of Gatti (whos finished) and Judah (whos been exposed the other week) Floyd should stop thinking about Judah, Baldomir and Margarito or whatever his name is and they both should go for the big one, it has to happen for Hatton to finally get the respect he deserves for destroying a legend in Kostya Tyszu, and for Floyd to be recongised as a modern great.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 16, 2006, 05:25:44 pm »
Read in the paper the other day about the Former Heavyweight Champ Leon Spinks, the young guy with the teeth missing in the front of his mouth, he beat Muhammed Ali towards the end of Ali's career as a 7 (i think it was 7) fight novice. Ali beat him in the rematch.

Anyway Spinks is now cleaning toilets for a living, it was a sad interview with him. He was never a great fighter but he still took his shot and done what any boxing fan dreams about. Won the heavyweight title, from Muhammed Ali! It must be so hard for someone to fall so far, its really sad. Hes a shadow of his former self. Found it a bit upsetting.

He's probably lucky to have all his marbles...so many don't. Spinks is lucky among boxers...he actually won a title, and to win it of Ali is something else...there are many who are middling boxers who never get within cooee of a title fight, but take all the more punishment because they aren't talented, and end up punch drunk and stuffed at a very young age.

I recall an interview with Floyd Patterson...at that stage he was some city's sports minister or something in the US, and he had massive trouble recalling what happend yesterday, let alone what happened in his heyday. The interviewer had to tell him who he'd reclaimed his heavyweight title off. It was very sad. (to be honest I blamed some of his condition on Ali himself, who dished out a fearsome beating to him..Ali deliberately kept Floyd upright so he could hit him more. I've seen footage of that fight and it is sickening. Ali was angry with Floyd because Patterson had refused to call him by his proper name)

Let's not forget the fellow who took the belt of Floyd....possibly the most damaging heavyweight of all time in Sonny Liston. Dead 6 or so years after he was champion.

Sugar Ray Leonard became a raging coke addict...as did Joe Louis...the list goes on and on.

Most champions end up broke after having the hangers on suck their money away, and then find they can't do anything else apart from fight as they aren't trained for anything else.

I think Clint Eastwood had it right in Million Dollar Baby when the champ in that fight ends up a quadraplegic...comment on what happens to a lot of boxers, maybe not paralysed, but still stuffed after their careers in boxing.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 17, 2006, 08:35:17 am »
Aye compared to McClellan, Watson and all those fighters who've been seriously hurt and died in the ring he is lucky. He looks terrible like.

Holyfield is the one who worries me, he always talked with a slur, but these days it sounds like hes just downed a bottle of vodka. Ill be glad when he retires for good.

Offline MrEcho

• Anny Roader
  • Destroy all nations
« Reply #456 on: January 17, 2006, 09:16:12 pm »

Ricky should stop wasting time wanting to fight the likes of Gatti (whos finished) and Judah (whos been exposed the other week) Floyd should stop thinking about Judah, Baldomir and Margarito or whatever his name is and they both should go for the big one, it has to happen for Hatton to finally get the respect he deserves for destroying a legend in Kostya Tyszu, and for Floyd to be recongised as a modern great.

Hatton looks likely to fight Castillo, Rabah and Gatti in the US before he takes a super fight.

I personally think Cotto is in the mix as well. I havent seen as many greats but I know one thing Hatton could be a great fighter PBF is a great boxer. But  I dont think RH will let PBF do to him what he did to Gatti. Watchin that fight Gatti looked like he lost heart but that is one thing it looks as if RH will never do.

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #457 on: January 21, 2006, 11:38:24 am »

Its certainly a fight that will tell us a lot about both guys. Hatton will need to move a bit more and be a bit more clever than he was against Tyszu.

Normally agree with you about boxing matters Mirra, but I have to disagree with this,
 Hatton was supurb against Tyszu!
 Hattons relys alot on his body shot, its got him were he is today! Tyszu being a clever boxer new this so set out not to be affected by his body shots! So Ricky had to completely change his boxing style to beat this! he did! and he did with some great style! I think he only hit about 6 body shots in the whole 11 rounds!!!
 I think Rickys got the mind and the Ability to beat Pretty boy
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2006, 11:58:20 am »
I dont think he'll be able to lean on Floyd the way he did against Tyszu though mate, Its one fight out there where I honestly couldnt pick a winner. I like both fighters, really hope Hatton can do it, but i just cant say either way. Cant wait for it.

Junior Witter is the WBC number 1 contender at the minute like, Floyd has to fight him or drop the strap. Witter isnt everyones cup of tea, hes awkward as fuck to fight against. Ive always fancied Witter to give Hatton some big problems, maybe even beat him. Id love to see those two fight instead of Hatton vs Gatti.

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: January 21, 2006, 12:11:45 pm »
I dont think he'll be able to lean on Floyd the way he did against Tyszu though mate, Its one fight out there where I honestly couldnt pick a winner. I like both fighters, really hope Hatton can do it, but i just cant say either way. Cant wait for it.

Junior Witter is the WBC number 1 contender at the minute like, Floyd has to fight him or drop the strap. Witter isnt everyones cup of tea, hes awkward as fuck to fight against. Ive always fancied Witter to give Hatton some big problems, maybe even beat him. Id love to see those two fight instead of Hatton vs Gatti.

I think Hatton will fight Pretty Boy this year in the States!!!
 His next 3 fights should be PBF Witter and Gatti! then we will see how good Hatton really is!!
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2006, 01:48:42 pm »
Id rather he tried his best to get Floyd first though, we all seen what happened to Zab Judah by wanting to tune up before fighting him. He got his arse kicked and it cost him 5million for a fight with Floyd. Id just love both of them to say ok fuck it, lets go and find out who the best is.

Floyd should forget all talk about fighting Winky Wright. Wright is far too big for Floyd and I think he would Spank him.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #461 on: January 22, 2006, 01:35:26 pm »
Absolutely fantastic fight last night - I was glad to see Pacquiao win, but Morales is a great warrior.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: January 22, 2006, 06:21:05 pm »
Yes good performance but i think morralles needs to go away and take a rest.Was very dissapointed with him at the end blamen it on making the weight,last fight when he steped up he lost.He was out boxed by a fighter who wanted it more, but he is still a great warrior.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: January 23, 2006, 08:46:21 am »
Think Morales has just had too many hard fights, he should take a break for a while, I think there is some truth in what he said about making the weight. That can drain a fighter big time. But well played Pac Man, I didnt have a fav in this fight i think both are great warriors. Two I enjoy watching.

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
« Reply #464 on: January 23, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »
Pacquiao v Morales....... what a great fight. First 5 rds were awesome. Two fighters throwing combination after combination.
As good as Morales still is, he is slowly coming to the end of a wonderful career.

Got back from Old Trafford down in the dumps but watching this epic encounter last night took my mind of things. Will be difficult to find a better fight this year?

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #465 on: January 23, 2006, 12:34:55 pm »
absoultely delighted that Manny Pacquiao won!! had a few quid on him, and loved every moment of it.

as the filippino's would say, 'sobra magaling diba'!!!

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: January 23, 2006, 03:29:07 pm »
Great match. Was hoping Morales would win though  :(

Anyone think there will be a rematch? If so when you think it will happen?
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Jai

• oh?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh the carnage
« Reply #467 on: January 23, 2006, 04:06:11 pm »
I think that Paquiao would have to fight Morales again if Morales wanted a rematch.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2006, 05:31:10 pm »
I think that Paquiao would have to fight Morales again if Morales wanted a rematch.
Morales needs a long rest i think,yet he is only 28 he has had 52 career fights and many off the tough fights. It takes its toll on the best as well,i'd say pacman v barrera will be the next time we see pacman.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2006, 10:03:07 pm »
Wow is Morales only 28? I didnt know that, I thought he was in his 30s by now. Hes been around for so long it seems, hes deffo one of the top 10 p4p fighters of all time though. He never ducks anybody, ever. Most of his fights are entertaining and I dont think anyone would disagree when I say he gives it his all everytime?

Hope he takes a long well deserved rest now though as others have said before.

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #470 on: January 23, 2006, 10:27:18 pm »
they were saying Morales was 29 on sky sports. but, agree with you Mirra, the guy is absolute class, but looked like he'd had one fight too many.

im sure after a rest, he'll be back- 29 is still way too young....

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: January 24, 2006, 12:59:26 am »
they were saying Morales was 29 on sky sports. but, agree with you Mirra, the guy is absolute class, but looked like he'd had one fight too many.

im sure after a rest, he'll be back- 29 is still way too young....

Yep he is 29 that was a typo on my behalf,but still way young to have a carear   52 fights. Sorry bout the typo

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: January 24, 2006, 09:34:36 am »
Most Mexicans do start off really young though dont they? I think Barrera turned pro when he was 16/17. They breed them really tough over there, anyone you hear of making it big from Mexico in the fight game, you know they have got to be tough!

An American I talk to on here told me last night Floyd vs Judah is ON again for April 8th? Surely not?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #473 on: January 24, 2006, 09:55:09 am »
Most Mexicans do start off really young though dont they? I think Barrera turned pro when he was 16/17. They breed them really tough over there, anyone you hear of making it big from Mexico in the fight game, you know they have got to be tough!

An American I talk to on here told me last night Floyd vs Judah is ON again for April 8th? Surely not?

Money talks, Hatton will take Gatti in a money fight then I can see Ricky and PBF late this year at the MGM

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: January 24, 2006, 10:18:59 pm »
Gatti is fighting saturday night coming so that will delay any possable match up with hatton

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #475 on: January 25, 2006, 07:01:12 pm »
Was just watching this and was reminded of how cocky prince Naseem actually was

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
« Reply #476 on: January 25, 2006, 07:07:33 pm »
Was just watching this and was reminded of how cocky prince Naseem actually was

How is Naz's comeback campaign coming along?
I find it an insult to his  profession that he is considering a return

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #477 on: January 25, 2006, 07:15:51 pm »
Haven't got a clue to be honest.

Last time I read anything he was considering making a come back later on this year.

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: January 30, 2006, 09:36:44 am »
Anyone like my new tattoo,
 got it done satdee, fucking kills now though  :(
 Bill Shankly

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: January 30, 2006, 12:07:46 pm »
How is Naz's comeback campaign coming along?
I find it an insult to his  profession that he is considering a return

Hes got a right to make a comeback though, how old is he? 30-31? I find people like Larry Holmes and Evander Holyfield still fighting and guys like Audrey Harrison a much worse insult to boxing than Naz making a comeback. He was a World Champion, only bloke to beat him was Barrera, a man who will surely go down as an all time great?

I like Naz, for a bloke of his size to posses the power he had was great to see. How many other Featherweights have you seen knock people out left right and centre? When he left Ingle and got all his brothers around him that really fucked him. Oscar Suarez was a joke, and I never seen the point in him having Manny Steward there if he wasnt going to listen to him! Hope he can do it, id love to of seen Naz fight Scott Harrison in his prime. Maybe it could still happen? Unlikely but funnier things happen in Boxing

And Nice Tattoo Cleary mate, I want something like that done. Ive got one of a Bulldog wearing boxing gloves, same one Hatton has on his arm only the gloves on mine are red.