Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4235092 times)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #600 on: June 15, 2006, 09:10:03 pm »
Agree with this i think he may struggle and pac man could beat him. What do you people think off a Hatton v Pac man  :-\ 

Hatton won't go below 140 so Manny would have to move up. Isn't he only at 130 now anyway? Can't see it happening. Hatton got criticised for calling out the winner of Chico/Castillo so the vultures would be out if went fought pacman.

Floyd, however, gets away with it because he is simply trying to prove he is number one p4p. Fair enough, but you can't jump from a potential 154 fight with De La Hoya to 135 with Pacman without being weight drained.

I'd prefer Mayweathwer to try and cement his legacy at 147 against the likes of Cotto/Hatton/Margarito but I think he will carry on cherry picking

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sky Sports - It's shite
« Reply #601 on: June 15, 2006, 10:40:22 pm »
Pacman is fighting at superfeather on July 2 v Oscar Larios but there are concerns he is struggling to make the weight, he could move up to 135 but I don't see PBF or Hatton going any lower than 140. The magnet seems to be light-welter/welterweight at the moment but Manny is not gonna get there anytime soon imo. Hatton will need a win against another welterweight before the yanks take him seriously at 147 so maybe Cotto or Baldomir? DLH v PBF is pure 'Rocky'.  A Hollywood-type match if ever I seen one, so it would not surprise me if they make the fight.  ::) Don't do it Floyd, ya hear?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:46:32 pm by Barrowboy »
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #602 on: June 16, 2006, 01:12:42 pm »
Think Hatton would destroy Pac Man, hes too strong for him. Ricky wouldnt move down either, I dont think he could to be honest. It'd kill him getting the weight down. Hes best off staying at 140 as ive said before and fighting Corrales, Cotto and Floyd if he can get them. Forget Gatti, forget Pac man. If Ricky gets those 3 and if he beats even 2 out of 3 he'll of achieved a hell of a lot. Legendary status. I think he can beat Corrales but it will be hard, and I definetley think he'll bully Cotto around the ring without too much trouble. Floyd? Who knows. We can talk about that one all day.

Think if Floyd gets Oscar and should he win, which I cant see. I dont think he'll take many tough fights after that. In Floyds eyes that will make him a legend and he probally will just go on for a bit like Roy Jones did, beating mandatory contenders with ease then either retire, or get knocked out like Roy did.

Roy Jones though, great great fighter in his time. I know he has his critics, but christ when you see how good he was in his prime its hard to criticise him. Hes mouthing off about wanting Calzaghe now, but when Calzaghe wanted him, Jones didnt want to know. He knows now that hes old news, so hes trying to make some noise. Calzaghe would destroy him, dont know about a prime Roy Jones though. He was awesome.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: June 17, 2006, 07:15:47 pm »
Mirra - was speaking to my mate Mr Smith the other night and it turns out that he actually fought Paul Ryan as an amateur - bit before my time but apparently he dropped him with a hook and they didn't even bother to count!   :o  Knocked him out sparko.  Not sure if that rings any bells?

I cant remember that mate, not really into the amatuer scene like but I believe it! Certainly rung Ryans bells ;D

Me cousin was in jail with Paul Ryan years ago like, said hes a really nice bloke but the screws broke his arm in jail. Hard bloke like, used to come out to that song, Any old iron. With his hat on and everything. I used to think he was great ;D

Any thoughts on Winky vs Taylor tonight? I think Winky takes it like, I just cant see how Taylor can win. Winky doesnt give you any place to hit him. His guard is the best ive ever seen, you cant get the head, and his long arms protect the body as well. Any kid looking to box should learn from him like. Best defensive fighter ive ever seen. Of course id rather Jermaine Taylor won it tonight like, i like the lad. But I cant see how he will do it.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #604 on: June 18, 2006, 05:12:38 am »
Well Winky v Taylor  a draw pretty good fight maybe a fair call,to be honest i think winky threw it on the last round thinking he had the fight won. Even though he still  should have won it and with taylor doing nothing realy spiceal he is still the champ and one judge went his way. Anyway slightly pissed  off to bed ,heres to the rematch which winky says won't hapen.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: June 22, 2006, 01:50:16 pm »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: June 22, 2006, 02:13:24 pm »
;D Was quality that, how hard is Nigel Benn ;D class, wish he was still around today in his prime.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: June 22, 2006, 02:21:14 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5v7ZkaLA60&search=Nigel%20Benn

I know this is upsetting, really upsetting infact but I think its worth watching. So many people forget fallen fighters. Just goes to show how easy it can happen to anyone. Poor bloke :(

Offline Izzy Bully*****

• Anny Roader
« Reply #608 on: June 23, 2006, 08:27:09 pm »
fuckin hell,shockin that i always remember that fight.i was just a kid when it happened,the "g man" kept pokin his gum shield out of his mouth and graspin for air.
sad that.

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: June 23, 2006, 09:12:59 pm »
Just managed to bring myself to watch that Mirra. Absolute tragedy that was, I remember all the recriminations after the fight, ref was blamed, cornermen etc, for not pulling him out but the truth was, no-one had ever really seen behaviour like that in the ring. The way he kept dabbing at his face, shaking his head and sticking his shield out was almost bizarre. I think his corner tried to blame the ref because they knew in their hearts that they were the one's who were looking into Geralds eyes for a minute between each round yet even they never saw a reason to pull him out. Who knows the boxer the better? Cornermen or ref? So soon after Michael Watson too, ref's have been much better since those days at spotting a fighter in trouble, some people think they are too quick to stop fights but you only have to see a vid like that to realise that safety comes first. We had a few scares in the 90s when you think about it, Spencer Oliver, the Yorkshire Hunter lad Paul Ingle? Who was the middleweight with the mohican? Can't think of his name as I'm half-pissed at the moment but that usually gets my memory going  ::)  I'll never forget the first time I followed a boxer who die after a fight though, it was that Welsh lad, Johnny Owens. Can't remember who he fought, was it Lupe Pintor? Bantam anyway and fucking well sad episode, I cried when the old man told me he had died the next day. Shit Mirra, you got me all morbid now ya twat :'(
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: June 23, 2006, 09:17:36 pm »
Sorry mate! Im one of McClellans big fans, ive wrote to him and when i got me first job i sent him a weeks wages when i was a teenager like. Was one of my fav fighters growing up, a monster in the ring. Wont let people forget him me like.

Thing i remember most about that fight though, and it lives with me. Was Don King at ringside, yards away from McClellan screaming at him to get the fuck up. Then after the fight he is supposed to of said Gerald quit like a fucking Dog. McClellan was a warrior, in every sense of the word. I dont even know how he manages to smile. Great fighter and a great man as well it seems. Heart breaking seeing him like that but I wont let anyone forget the G Man.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: June 23, 2006, 09:22:05 pm »
Just managed to bring myself to watch that Mirra. Absolute tragedy that was, I remember all the recriminations after the fight, ref was blamed, cornermen etc, for not pulling him out but the truth was, no-one had ever really seen behaviour like that in the ring. The way he kept dabbing at his face, shaking his head and sticking his shield out was almost bizarre. I think his corner tried to blame the ref because they knew in their hearts that they were the one's who were looking into Geralds eyes for a minute between each round yet even they never saw a reason to pull him out. Who knows the boxer the better? Cornermen or ref? So soon after Michael Watson too, ref's have been much better since those days at spotting a fighter in trouble, some people think they are too quick to stop fights but you only have to see a vid like that to realise that safety comes first. We had a few scares in the 90s when you think about it, Spencer Oliver, the Yorkshire Hunter lad Paul Ingle? Who was the middleweight with the mohican? Can't think of his name as I'm half-pissed at the moment but that usually gets my memory going  ::)  I'll never forget the first time I followed a boxer who die after a fight though, it was that Welsh lad, Johnny Owens. Can't remember who he fought, was it Lupe Pintor? Bantam anyway and fucking well sad episode, I cried when the old man told me he had died the next day. Shit Mirra, you got me all morbid now ya twat :'(

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON

No problems with Mirra for posting it but I hate it. Everything to do with it.

It wasnt on the same level but I admired KT's corner so much for pulling him out when the time was right regardless of what might have happened in the next round.

Doesn't happen enough but fighters are fighters

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: June 23, 2006, 09:26:09 pm »
Thats what makes them fighters though isnt it, they wont even think about quitting. When I was growing up i was travelling a lot, im Romany, and as some might know us Romanys like a bit of bareknuckle boxing, fi theres disputes or what not its settled man to man, no police, no nothing. A fist fight, no kicking nutting or biting. Anyway, the way I grew up I was always told you never ever ever quit. Its dishonrable (spelling) but I think the opposite. I have no problems with a fighter quitting. I think its a smart move. Like when Tyson cracked Golota, Golota quit. I dont blame him, if he was in a bad way as he said he was total respect to him.

Eddie Futch, one of the great trainers of all time, ill respect him forever for him pulling Smokin Joe out of the 3rd Ali fight.

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: June 23, 2006, 09:53:42 pm »
Thought you might have had a bit of the gypsy in you Mirra, when you said Henry was yer cousin ;) Respect to your way of life mate! Not enough bare knuckle these days imo, too many glass & bottles etc. Tidy of you to send wages to Gerald like, wish I did things like that sometimes. Keep reminding us anyway mate, he was and will always be a legend.

7777, agreed about KT. Serious danger for him as the rounds went on, he hadn't fought too often before he went in with Hatton even if he did stop Mitchell (?) Some fighters are just too brave for their own good and need protecting by their corners & refs.

As for Ali/Frazier 3, yeah spot on but wasn't Ali ready to quit also? Can't believe they used to do 15 rounds not so long ago. Didnt Leonard stop Hearns in the 14th all those years (not so) long ago? Ive got a cracking video of Joe Louis life story and fuck me in them days the ref practically held the lads up so the other could keep on hitting him! You had to be totally clean knocked out in those days or the fight just kept on going  :o Thats a sad end as well Mirra if you ever get the chance to see it, how the US government treated Louis was a disgrace to probably one of the greatest heavyweights ever. Up there with Ali, Frazier Tyson and Marciano was the Brown Bomber. And he had the same name as me, Barrow. His real name was Joe Louis Barrow but his agent told him to drop the Barrow as it wasn't showbiz enough!  :(

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: June 23, 2006, 10:00:42 pm »
Aye I agree about Joe Louis like, class fighter. Great man as well. What a left hook he had on him, Possibly the best heavy of all time? Well one of them anyway, for me its beetween him, Jack Johnson and Ali. Champ for 12 y ears or something wasnt it? Remember watching a programme about Rocky Marciano, the Rock had tears in his eyes after being Joe like. Hes another one, not the best techincally but you'd have to shoot him to beat him

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: June 23, 2006, 10:24:16 pm »
Think Ali was quoted as saying that in his opinion, Louis was the best heavy ever and Ray Robinson was the best p4p ever, what the Greatest said in a vid I saw. There must be a difference in the best and the greatest then! ;D Anyway, great thread Mirra, nice to share memories, opinions etc with you and the other guys. Fuck me if they ever got us all in a room together we would talk all night! Gotta work early in the morning but this is now the first place I look to check on the fight gossip, bronxred is our US correspondent yeah?  ;D 

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: June 24, 2006, 02:16:08 pm »
Agree with Ali like, Sugar Ray was the best ever. Think his style is the one every fighter dreams of having. Lightning quick, powerful, silky skills. Amazing fighter. Dont think there has been anyone since who has came close to him. Ray Leonard maybe? Hes up there anyway.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: July 8, 2006, 10:16:11 pm »
Anyone else watching this shite?
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #618 on: July 8, 2006, 10:20:58 pm »
Anyone else watching this shite?

Danny Williams flattering to deceive once again  :butt

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: July 8, 2006, 10:30:06 pm »
Danny Williams flattering to deceive once again  :butt

Did you see when he got stuck in the ropes? Best part of the match so far ;D
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: July 8, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »
khans fight lasted like 2 mins

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #621 on: July 8, 2006, 11:20:34 pm »
khans fight lasted like 2 mins

Yeah when you see Kahn come out in full spangled Reebok gear and the other guy come out in a plain white T-shirt with Scottish security on it you can tell the type of league each fighter is in

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: July 9, 2006, 01:10:54 am »
haha ay , khans got alot of sponsorship going on... hes meant to be the next big thing, so people want his name

Offline wewonit5timesinistanbul

• Kopite
« Reply #623 on: July 10, 2006, 09:00:33 pm »
what a load of crap the boxing was on Saturday, wasted £50 on a ticket and travelled 350 miles, got home at 4am, the best part was sitting in the millennium stadium again and a load of knobs fighting in the stands.
wont be doing that again will be saving my money to spend on tickets to watch the reds.

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: July 11, 2006, 01:20:45 pm »
what a load of crap the boxing was on Saturday, wasted £50 on a ticket and travelled 350 miles, got home at 4am, the best part was sitting in the millennium stadium again and a load of knobs fighting in the stands.
wont be doing that again will be saving my money to spend on tickets to watch the reds.
  :D

Never mind mate, we'll be back in the Millenium again soon! Hope there isn't any knobs fighting in the stand though.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: July 13, 2006, 11:58:24 am »
Gutted that Billy Corcoran lost last night for the British Super Feather title, shame like hes a top bloke. Anyone else see it?

The fight on Saturday night should be a good one like, Vargas vs Mosley 2, I fancy Vargas this time round, hes got too much to lose if he loses this one. He needs to get back to how he was before De La Hoya, hes changed his style and it really does him no favours. I think he can take Mosley out this time. If he doesnt then hes finished.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: July 13, 2006, 01:31:16 pm »
Mosely points for me.

Gatti- Baldomir the week after aswell

All on SKY, finally getting their act together

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: July 13, 2006, 01:35:22 pm »

Offline SGTBabbel

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #628 on: July 13, 2006, 02:54:13 pm »
RUBBER MATCH FOR PACMAN AND MORALES
Thursday 13th July 2006

Erik Morales and Manny Pacquiao will face off for a third time.

The two pound-for-pound contenders have agreed to a rubber match at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas on November 18.

The bout will be held at super-featherweight and although there are no titles at stake, it will be one of the most eagerly-anticipated and money-spinning fights of the year.

They last met at the same venue in January this year, saw Pacquiao become the first man to stop Morales in his 50th fight, with a stunning 10th-round stoppage.

It levelled the series at 1-1 following El Terrible's unanimous points win in March, in which he won 115-113 on all three cards.

But Pacquiao recovered to put on a masterclass in the return, dominating the Mexican from start to finish and sparking fears that Morales' stellar career was coming to a close.

It was his second successive lost following the surprise defeat to Zahir Raheem and forced him to drop his father as his trainer. Jose Morales remained his manager, but he is now under the guidance of José Luis 'Maestro' López.

Morales admitted that he made mistakes in both the build-up and fight itself, while Pacquiao - now working with Freddie Roach went on to wow his home crowd in the Philippines with a comprehensive points win over tough Mexican Oscar Larios.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

personally, i cant wait for this third fight. Im hoping PacMan can not only beat Morales again, but hopefully destroy him!!!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: July 13, 2006, 06:21:18 pm »
RUBBER MATCH FOR PACMAN AND MORALES
Thursday 13th July 2006

Erik Morales and Manny Pacquiao will face off for a third time.

The two pound-for-pound contenders have agreed to a rubber match at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas on November 18.

The bout will be held at super-featherweight and although there are no titles at stake, it will be one of the most eagerly-anticipated and money-spinning fights of the year.

They last met at the same venue in January this year, saw Pacquiao become the first man to stop Morales in his 50th fight, with a stunning 10th-round stoppage.

It levelled the series at 1-1 following El Terrible's unanimous points win in March, in which he won 115-113 on all three cards.

But Pacquiao recovered to put on a masterclass in the return, dominating the Mexican from start to finish and sparking fears that Morales' stellar career was coming to a close.

It was his second successive lost following the surprise defeat to Zahir Raheem and forced him to drop his father as his trainer. Jose Morales remained his manager, but he is now under the guidance of José Luis 'Maestro' López.

Morales admitted that he made mistakes in both the build-up and fight itself, while Pacquiao - now working with Freddie Roach went on to wow his home crowd in the Philippines with a comprehensive points win over tough Mexican Oscar Larios.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

personally, i cant wait for this third fight. Im hoping PacMan can not only beat Morales again, but hopefully destroy him!!!

I love watching Pacman but......

Morales is a hero

Absolute warrior

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: July 14, 2006, 02:07:54 am »
I think Morales is finished myslef mate. Think hes had one war too many. Hes one of my fav fighters of all time, a true fighter in every sense or the word. He'd fight anyone at any given time, a warrior but I think Pac Man really does have his number. I really pray Erik doesnt get hurt, i wont count him out but i think Pac man will do a job on him again. Hope im wrong, but i just cant see it.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: July 14, 2006, 02:20:24 am »
I think Morales is finished myslef mate. Think hes had one war too many. Hes one of my fav fighters of all time, a true fighter in every sense or the word. He'd fight anyone at any given time, a warrior but I think Pac Man really does have his number. I really pray Erik doesnt get hurt, i wont count him out but i think Pac man will do a job on him again. Hope im wrong, but i just cant see it.

Have to say i,d agree with all that, the thing about pac man is his line off defence is attack. He will take hits just to get hitting you and its very hard to fight a fighter like that. I maybe wrong but i just don't think has the stomock for fights like that any more,and if he is to lose i think he needs either a good long rest or hang them up. Personally i think he has burned himself out but just cann,t be seen as a quiter. But for sure im looken forward to it.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: July 14, 2006, 02:25:26 am »
Mexicans normally run themselves into the ground, the likes of Chavez are exceptions really arent they? 100 plus fights, Chavez is a legend and tho Morales is a legend i dont think he has many wars left in him really. I think hes had far too many hard fights and they really take it out of a boxer, hes not getting any younger, same with Barrera, he really struggled in his last fight in my opinon, great fighters in there time but I think Pac man has more left in the tank. I love to watch Pac man, his whole game is destroy or be destroyed. Never seen a more exciting fighter since Mike Tyson

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: July 14, 2006, 01:16:21 pm »
Can't believe these two are fighting with no title on the line! If Morales loses then he must be finished but imo that will make him more dangerous than ever. Erik just wants revenge I think and he could regret it but maybe he can go to the well one more time?

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
« Reply #634 on: July 14, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »
Can't believe these two are fighting with no title on the line! If Morales loses then he must be finished but imo that will make him more dangerous than ever. Erik just wants revenge I think and he could regret it but maybe he can go to the well one more time?

Exciting stuff..... can't wait for this.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: July 14, 2006, 10:32:57 pm »

You cant count somebody ilke Morales out really can you? I hope he can dig deep one last time, get revenge then retire. He definatley should imo, if he doesnt though whats the odds on him vs Barrera one last time? ;D Id love that

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: July 14, 2006, 10:36:10 pm »
Ive just watched a old video I had of Marvelous Marvin Hagler, what a fighter that bloke was! Would loved to of seen him vs Hopkins like. Was shocking what happened after the Minter fight like.

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #637 on: July 15, 2006, 12:17:57 am »
Rocky trailer

That doesnt look half bad to be honest! Thought it would be a let down to the previous 5!
 Looks to be tastefully done!
 looking forwar to it now
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: July 15, 2006, 12:53:38 am »
It does look good from that trailer like! Im proper excited now ;D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #639 on: July 15, 2006, 12:05:36 pm »
I've been very skeptical of Rocky 6 but after seeing that trailer I can't wait till Christmas.