Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4232385 times)

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60240 on: June 4, 2019, 09:31:45 pm »
Callum needs to get a move on. Really don't want him to sit on his hands for a year while Canelo tries to negotiate a catchweight down to the last gram.

If it happens, great, but don't want to see another great potential wasted chasing a big money fight. There's 3 other fighters claiming to be champions at 168 so crack on with that.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60241 on: June 4, 2019, 09:36:39 pm »
Best British fighter I’ve ever seen, not Lewis or calzaghe, Prince Naseem.

Calzaghe just ahead of Buchanan for me. 

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60242 on: June 4, 2019, 09:38:14 pm »
Callum needs to get a move on. Really don't want him to sit on his hands for a year while Canelo tries to negotiate a catchweight down to the last gram.

If it happens, great, but don't want to see another great potential wasted chasing a big money fight. There's 3 other fighters claiming to be champions at 168 so crack on with that.

Would love it if he scythed down BJS, hopefully with bodyshots

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #60243 on: June 4, 2019, 10:05:55 pm »
Best British fighter I’ve ever seen, not Lewis or calzaghe, Prince Naseem. Great ring entrance, arrogant, cocky, hands down, chin out, punches from all angles, great speed. Man was a legend.
Saw him walking around in London a few year ago, super  heavyweight now.
I think he gets under rated because he was flashy and a bit of a dick, but he was brilliant in a way I don’t think any other British fighter has ever been.
I looked at his record again recently and it’s perhaps not as great as I recall, but he beat a number of champions, even when past his best (which for me was from about mid 98 onwards). He’s certainly one of the best British fighters ever.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #60244 on: June 4, 2019, 10:18:38 pm »
He didn't but Hearn aint stupid

You'd never give a voluntary defence of 3 titles without a rematch clause to be fair.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #60245 on: June 4, 2019, 10:30:59 pm »
Calzaghe just ahead of Buchanan for me.
Randolph Turpin since he beat prime Sugar Ray Robinson who was 129-1-2 at the time  :P Leaving out the part where he got knocked out in the rematch and did little else barring winning the British lightweight title like  :'(

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60246 on: June 4, 2019, 10:38:18 pm »

One of them champions is Dirrell who Fucked Callum around for ages when Badou Jack vacated the WBC belt and one of the other two is Billy Joe Saunders and I think that fight would be difficult to make given the promotional rivalries.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60247 on: June 4, 2019, 10:52:12 pm »
You'd never give a voluntary defence of 3 titles without a rematch clause to be fair.

True

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60248 on: June 5, 2019, 05:59:02 am »
Randolph Turpin since he beat prime Sugar Ray Robinson who was 129-1-2 at the time  :P Leaving out the part where he got knocked out in the rematch and did little else barring winning the British lightweight title like  :'(

I should have said the best "I'd seen", I'm old but not that old! Got recordings of both those fights in my collection though, Turpin's win was right up there with the greatest upsets.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60249 on: June 5, 2019, 09:41:06 am »
Best British fighter I’ve ever seen, not Lewis or calzaghe, Prince Naseem. Great ring entrance, arrogant, cocky, hands down, chin out, punches from all angles, great speed. Man was a legend.
Saw him walking around in London a few year ago, super  heavyweight now.

I'd probably go take a look at Lewis's CV compared to Naz before making a statement like that! Tyson, Holyfield, Vitali, and knocked out Bowe in the amateurs. Naz doesn't come close.

With that said, I probably appreciated Naz more at the time, I think people only appreciate Lewis looking back.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60250 on: June 5, 2019, 02:20:31 pm »
Tyson Fury cant make his mind up :)

"He’ll never live it down," Fury told ESPN radio.
"Can you imagine? You're built like an Adonis, you’re six-foot-six, you’re ripped, carved in stone, and a little fat man who has eaten every Snickers and Mars bar in California comes in there and bladders you all over? What a disgrace.
"If that was me, I would never show my face in public ever again."

And Fury appeared to soften his stance on his rival almost immediately when he added: "The way I see it, Joshua has done very well for himself out of boxing.

"He came from nowhere, he came out of the gutter, brought up with no money, he changed his stars and changed his life.
"He’s probably worth $70million, he’s done well in his life and career. He’s been the heavyweight champion of the world. If that’s a failure then I don’t know what isn't a failure.
"He’s definitely done well in his career, but everybody bumps into that one person that can knock them out any time.
"Unfortunately for AJ, it was the little fat fella from California who chinned him."
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60251 on: June 5, 2019, 03:08:02 pm »
I'd probably go take a look at Lewis's CV compared to Naz before making a statement like that! Tyson, Holyfield, Vitali, and knocked out Bowe in the amateurs. Naz doesn't come close.

With that said, I probably appreciated Naz more at the time, I think people only appreciate Lewis looking back.

+1

Naz had great power and speed and was totally unorthodox but he had so many technical flaws and he was totally dismantled against Barrera. He does not come close to Lewis or Calzaghe's greatness. I believe they are both all time greats not just the best british fighters. AJ doesnt have 5% of the boxing ability that Lennox had. McCall and Rahman who both defeated Lewis would destroy any of the current crop. I would go as far to say that any of the current heavyweights would get nowhere near the top 10 heavyweights of the 90's and early 00's.

Too many Eddie Hearn fanboys on social media thinking this current heavyweight crop are some kind of golden era. They all have massive technical and tactical flaws. Wilder is so limited and similar to AJ they have good power but dont know how to use their length and the jab to their advantage. They barely throw any jabs they just load up for power shots and this kills their stamina in fights. They dont have boxing brains and i think that's where i think Fury is underestimated. He does actually try and box behind a good job with decent hand speed but does lack power and snap in his power punches. All 3 of AJ,Wilder and Fury all have a vulnerability in the chin department.

The 90's and early 00's had fighters with granite chins like Ray Mercer and David Tua you would get more joy punching a brick wall for 12 rounds than hitting these two. The current crop are B level fighters and are hyped up through sky and Eddie Hearn and rinsing fans for 20 quid a pop. I mean Dillian fucking Whyte on box office its a fucking joke.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60252 on: June 5, 2019, 03:59:20 pm »
+1

Naz had great power and speed and was totally unorthodox but he had so many technical flaws and he was totally dismantled against Barrera. He does not come close to Lewis or Calzaghe's greatness. I believe they are both all time greats not just the best british fighters. AJ doesnt have 5% of the boxing ability that Lennox had. McCall and Rahman who both defeated Lewis would destroy any of the current crop. I would go as far to say that any of the current heavyweights would get nowhere near the top 10 heavyweights of the 90's and early 00's.

Too many Eddie Hearn fanboys on social media thinking this current heavyweight crop are some kind of golden era. They all have massive technical and tactical flaws. Wilder is so limited and similar to AJ they have good power but dont know how to use their length and the jab to their advantage. They barely throw any jabs they just load up for power shots and this kills their stamina in fights. They dont have boxing brains and i think that's where i think Fury is underestimated. He does actually try and box behind a good job with decent hand speed but does lack power and snap in his power punches. All 3 of AJ,Wilder and Fury all have a vulnerability in the chin department.

The 90's and early 00's had fighters with granite chins like Ray Mercer and David Tua you would get more joy punching a brick wall for 12 rounds than hitting these two. The current crop are B level fighters and are hyped up through sky and Eddie Hearn and rinsing fans for 20 quid a pop. I mean Dillian fucking Whyte on box office its a fucking joke.

Disagree that Naz wasn’t close to Lewis or Calzaghe, he was. He did have flaws but he got around them because he was that good. Even in the last few years when he wasn’t training properly he won every fight except for the Barrera one, where he was clearly beaten by the then better fighter.

I’m convinced a prime Naz beats Barrera but we’ll never know, the Naz beaten by Barrera was a long way removed from his best. Even though his record isn’t perhaps as good as I remembered it stacks up against both Lewis and Calzaghe’s for me. In both their cases the biggest names on their records were past their best but all three were brilliant fighters and you can argue the case for any of them being the best British fighter.

I do however completely agree with you on the current heavyweights. Way below those around in the 90s, Lewis would have cleaned up today’s champs in one night.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #60253 on: June 5, 2019, 04:07:01 pm »
for those on here who gave me some advice regarding my hand pains toward my white collar fight, if you care it came out as a draw, was a good fight tho, proper enjoyed it and got some cool pics for the gram haha... so if AJ needs any tips I am 0-1-0 great record ya'no

kidney shots still hurt with 16oz gloves, who knew!?

what it has really done though on a serious note is make me appreciate the people who do this as professionals, fair play, they have to be incredibly focused and dedicated especially with maintaining size/weight, madness!

PS: Got to meet and had one session taken with Anthony Crolla - cool dude, very short (got a pic, man's tiny)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60254 on: June 5, 2019, 06:27:47 pm »
for those on here who gave me some advice regarding my hand pains toward my white collar fight, if you care it came out as a draw, was a good fight tho, proper enjoyed it and got some cool pics for the gram haha... so if AJ needs any tips I am 0-1-0 great record ya'no

what it has really done though on a serious note is make me appreciate the people who do this as professionals, fair play, they have to be incredibly focused and dedicated especially with maintaining size/weight, madness!

PS: Got to meet and had one session taken with Anthony Crolla - cool dude, very short (got a pic, man's tiny)

Congrats. Will you go again?

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #60255 on: June 6, 2019, 07:37:16 am »

Snip

fair play mate, you going to do it again?

nobody actually realises how long 3 minutes is until they box haha,

I've met Crolla before too, hes an absolute gent.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60256 on: June 6, 2019, 01:14:56 pm »
A week in NYC with mates is boss lads...especially when the mighty reds win the big one.  8)

Couple of things...Persoon was fuckin robbed she at least won 7 rounds in my eyes and as for AJ anyone who loses to a lad who has bigger tits than my missus deserves to be laughed at.  :wave

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60257 on: June 6, 2019, 07:45:36 pm »
And for fans of the great Roberto Duran, and who isn't, the new documentary, I Am Duran, is well worth a watch.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60258 on: June 6, 2019, 08:11:56 pm »
A week in NYC with mates is boss lads...especially when the mighty reds win the big one.  8)

Couple of things...Persoon was fuckin robbed she at least won 7 rounds in my eyes and as for AJ anyone who loses to a lad who has bigger tits than my missus deserves to be laughed at.  :wave

Saw some scenes online outside Carras, were you there?

Wouldn't take the piss out of AJ mate, Ruiz looks like a nailed on challenger for the Maltese belt.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60259 on: June 6, 2019, 11:09:44 pm »
And for fans of the great Roberto Duran, and who isn't, the new documentary, I Am Duran, is well worth a watch.
Is this a film or available on Netflix or similar?

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60260 on: June 6, 2019, 11:55:23 pm »

Well in Phil. I was supposed to do it in Leicester but lack of interest in the training camp this time around means it is cancelled till November. On the plus side I started skipping for the first time ever thinking I would need it sooner instead of later  ;D

As for the ongoing debate; I think a prime Naz would lose to Barrera due to styles but who knows? Naz was a sparkling fighter but I would personally go for big Lennox as the best of British in the modern era.

+1

Aside from the 'it is the heavyweight division and anything can happen' thing, I agree that today's heavies would likely get banjoed by the lads of several eras let alone the late 90s and early 00s. A focused Pinklon Thomas for example would give today's crop nightmares IMO. Even big Gerry Cooney would probably pick up a belt  :D As would David Tua and Ike Ibeabuchi.

A lot of folk talk about the need for a super heavy division given the size of today's fighters but does anyone think Joe Frazier wouldn't absolutely leather today's lot? Sure, they would have a puncher's chance but I can't see any of them fancying a brutal Frazier onslaught for more than a handful of rounds.

As for Oliver McCall, I am convinced he has a brick or metal plate for a skull! He could fight till the age of 70 and not get KO'd!
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 11:57:18 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60261 on: June 7, 2019, 12:09:44 am »
AJ was punching himself out. Is that a fair assessment? He’d try to go for it with a few combos, but then Ruiz took advantage of AJ appearing to be gassed. Is that because of poor stamina or poor boxing?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60262 on: June 7, 2019, 06:04:23 am »
Is this a film or available on Netflix or similar?

I got it from a torrent site mate, no idea if it's officially out yet

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60263 on: June 7, 2019, 06:16:49 am »
AJ was punching himself out. Is that a fair assessment? He’d try to go for it with a few combos, but then Ruiz took advantage of AJ appearing to be gassed. Is that because of poor stamina or poor boxing?

I think he just showed a lack of patience. Maybe he was run down and wanted to just get him out of there. He was very reckless in the 3rd round when ruiz had shown no signs of being ready to go

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60264 on: June 7, 2019, 06:17:56 am »

A bit of both I think, he looked in his usual shape but whether he trained properly is another thing. And he's just not very good defensively anyway.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60265 on: June 7, 2019, 08:30:22 am »
He started swinging for the fences looking for a highlight reel KO for his new audience in the US, and got caught with a shot on the temple which he never really recovered from.  I think in the second KD there was a shot around the ear as well which could have fucked his balance up.

I actually thought he handled it well, killed the fight for a couple of rounds and got his feet back under him, but ultimately it's heavyweight boxing and anyone can get KO'd at any time.

A lot of shit being talked about AJ at the moment, but it's happened to all the great heavyweights.  That's why it's the best division.

A lot of folk talk about the need for a super heavy division given the size of today's fighters but does anyone think Joe Frazier wouldn't absolutely leather today's lot? Sure, they would have a puncher's chance but I can't see any of them fancying a brutal Frazier onslaught for more than a handful of rounds.

We'll see how Usyk gets on at heavyweight, that will be the true test of the need for a super heavy division.  Personally I think he'll run rings around a lot of them, might come unstuck against Fury but I'd back him against all the rest.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60266 on: June 7, 2019, 08:35:20 am »
I think he just showed a lack of patience. Maybe he was run down and wanted to just get him out of there. He was very reckless in the 3rd round when ruiz had shown no signs of being ready to go

He has said he was fine.

I think he just lacked respect and thought he would beat him no matter what.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #60267 on: June 7, 2019, 08:54:01 am »
Congrats. Will you go again?

fair play mate, you going to do it again?

nobody actually realises how long 3 minutes is until they box haha,

I've met Crolla before too, hes an absolute gent.

Yes - deffo going again, he said the standard was really good this year and he is hosting another one in November or push it to May next yr and instead of a 12 week camp he'd do like 24 weeks and make it more serious.

It was honestly an amazing experience (I put some pics on my instagram (its public) and one of them you can slide across to see more, honestly amazing experience and would love to do it again, the training was incredible too, easily the best training/fitness I have ever done!)

3 minutes feels like 3 hours once you're in there all tense with the crowd shouting (was 700 people watching!) but insane, the last round I completely gave everything I have left and I was so gassed!

Onto proper boxing - saw AJ put out videos saying no excuses/didn't have a panic attack so that's interesting considering what came out! at least he is taking it on the chin (no pun intended) and will go again!

« Last Edit: June 7, 2019, 08:56:43 am by PhilV »

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60268 on: June 7, 2019, 10:48:32 am »
A lot of these big lads are momentarily winded after throwing a flurry of punches and need a slight rest (which is usually taken by holding). However, I find it hard to believe that he was gassed after just 3 rounds even though he is carrying too much muscle for boxing. I agree with the consensus that then shot to the temple screwed him up and he never fully recovered. That said, he didnt get knocked out; he was simply too wrecked physically to continue. Maybe he was carrying a virus, or else those tales of him being sparked in training are true. We can't say for sure. He knows he needs a dominant performance and KO in the rematch so that brings its own pressure.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #60269 on: June 7, 2019, 12:24:30 pm »
Yes - deffo going again, he said the standard was really good this year and he is hosting another one in November or push it to May next yr and instead of a 12 week camp he'd do like 24 weeks and make it more serious.

24 week camp - thats some graft, you'll definitely see the benefits of that! most pro boxers dont even get that much notice for a fight, they are lucky if they get 12 haha

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60270 on: June 8, 2019, 02:47:44 pm »
Joe Rogan said AJ got KO'ed in training for the Ruiz fight.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9OQMYabM-Ds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9OQMYabM-Ds</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60271 on: June 8, 2019, 03:04:44 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9OQMYabM-Ds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9OQMYabM-Ds</a>

'I have it from a good source' a.k.a. I read it on Twitter.  Joe Rogan is full of shit in general, no difference here.

Joshua will not have been sparring at all in the week of the fight, for exactly that reason.  You don't want to get dropped, injured or cut without time to recover.  Also consider the fact he was doing non stop media all week and looked fine.

He got hit on the temple by a heavyweight boxer, it's not rocket science and I don't understand what all the conspiracy theories are about.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60272 on: June 8, 2019, 03:21:27 pm »

How would getting ko'd in sparring hurt your performance in a fight? And how long does it take to recover from a KO, generally?

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60273 on: June 8, 2019, 04:23:48 pm »
A lot of people saying the reason he was getting that neck rub before the fight and chewing on his mouthguard was because of the training KO and him not feeling up to it. Either way, he severely underestimated Ruiz. His knockdown was so clean and crisp, he should've finished him off there and then. But as someone mentioned, he got clipped round the ear and he most definitely felt that. Think he got one right on his temple as well, he was well and truly out of it.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60274 on: June 8, 2019, 04:46:00 pm »
It's worth pointing out that he looked absolutely fine in the ring up until the shot to his temple and was in control of the fight.  What Ruiz did to him is exactly what Whyte and Klitschko did, caught him on the way in when he was going for the finish.  Definitely something for him to work on.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60275 on: June 8, 2019, 06:36:37 pm »
It's worth pointing out that he looked absolutely fine in the ring up until the shot to his temple and was in control of the fight.  What Ruiz did to him is exactly what Whyte and Klitschko did, caught him on the way in when he was going for the finish.  Definitely something for him to work on.
Yeah, Ruiz isn't Iron Mike Tyson in terms of power but packs a dig. A shot to the temple can discombobulate any fighter. AJ never looked like he fully recovered from it. I still maintain he could be 15 or so pounds leaner so he becomes less prone to fatigue. Not sure if it would have helped him last week though.

Anyway, GGG has a 'gimme' tonight against Steve 'going to get rolled over' Rolls. 7/4 odds for GGG to win inside 3 tells the story!

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60276 on: June 8, 2019, 06:43:37 pm »
Watched the full fight for the first time last night. Can’t help thinking that Joshua doesn’t make the most of his reach advantage in this fight. Something that Lewis was absolutely brilliant at once Manny Steward got hold of him. Joshua is good enough to make better use of it in the rematch if they work on it more. If they don’t then I could easily see the same thing happening again.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60277 on: June 8, 2019, 10:37:42 pm »
Think one of the posters was absolutely right when they said Wilder winning by first round KO was really bad for AJ and also the fact that he wanted to put on a show in his US debut could all have contributed big time. He needs to improve his stamina and fight alot smarter. We’ve seen he can be hit and he was lucky to survive in those previous fights. All in all it was a really poor showing from AJ but no means is his career over, win the rematch, ideally by a KO and we can all put it down to a one off shock. If he loses again then you really will start to fear for him.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60278 on: June 9, 2019, 09:35:03 am »
That was just a sparring session, Rolls might as well have stayed at home. It did nothing for GGG's CV.
Fury v Schwarz next weekend, another farce of a fight.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60279 on: June 9, 2019, 03:13:41 pm »
GGG looked ripped and that was an explosive shot to win the fight. He took a few shots more than usual but still looks very good at the ripe old age of 37, roll on the trilogy.