Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4215720 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #58160 on: September 28, 2018, 09:55:54 pm »
This Callum seems like a good egg. Speaks well, fights well

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58161 on: September 28, 2018, 09:56:54 pm »
Anyone at 168 you'd be worried about sticking him in with?

Probably should stay there for as long as he can make it because 175 is not great for him.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58162 on: September 28, 2018, 10:00:01 pm »
Brilliant, made up he won. He’ll be fighting at Anfield next summer.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58163 on: September 28, 2018, 10:00:05 pm »
There is that Ramirez who can match him for size and that Benevidez who looks like a good one but he can reign for a bit. If I was him big homecoming against degale to stop the two guys that embarrassed his brother and then unify against Ramirez. Should be able to bring him over

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #58164 on: September 28, 2018, 10:00:40 pm »
Well in Callum, shame the arena was empty by the time he spoke

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58165 on: September 28, 2018, 10:03:22 pm »
Great win. Well done Smith.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58166 on: September 28, 2018, 10:03:34 pm »
There is that Ramirez who can match him for size and that Benevidez who looks like a good one but he can reign for a bit. If I was him big homecoming against degale to stop the two guys that embarrassed his brother and then unify against Ramirez. Should be able to bring him over

JDG has been ducking him for years. Think he has to fight Fielding as a mandatory before long which would be the perfect soft touch homecoming. Then he can get on with things.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58167 on: September 28, 2018, 10:05:50 pm »
Dont think Fielding will want that. He got iced last time. Degale aint got much left might as well take the money

All the belt holders are over 6'1 so all big units. None are box office so eddie can bring them over here no bother

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #58168 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:39 pm »
Both Callum and Paul visited my niece when she was in Alder Hey so I’m doubly made up.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:11:35 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #58169 on: September 28, 2018, 10:10:54 pm »
Made up for Callum. Excellent performance, brilliantly executed. Well done.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #58170 on: September 28, 2018, 10:22:43 pm »
Made up for Callum Smith, he's had a hard time the last 2 and a half years after becoming number 1 contender with Badou Jack taking a unification fight against DeGale then vacating and then being Fucked about by Anthony Dirrell.

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58171 on: September 28, 2018, 10:28:02 pm »
The judges score cards seemed to have Groves up before it ended, can't say i agree myself, had it 4-2 to Smith, possibly 3-3.

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58172 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:03 pm »
Made up for Callum, been a world champion in the making for a while and his time has come. Up to Eddie now to make him a big name, the number one in the division he deserves the big fights for the big money. Hope he chases the unification fights and brings them to Liverpool.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58173 on: September 28, 2018, 10:36:12 pm »
The judges score cards seemed to have Groves up before it ended, can't say i agree myself, had it 4-2 to Smith, possibly 3-3.

I'd have had it even or a point either side. I could have sworn there was only 3 judges though.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #58174 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:34 pm »
This Callum seems like a good egg. Speaks well, fights well
I thought Groves' experience would eke out a UD or MD but Smith does have the 'equalizer' in his arsenal. Callum seems to fight to the level of his opposition. He has looked rancid against journeymen then ups his game when fighting better opponents.

Ramirez is an utter myth; his record is a mirage. He reminds me of Chavez Jr., even looks a bit like him! Smith would smack him silly.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #58175 on: September 29, 2018, 12:11:34 am »
2 for Groves, 2 for Smith by the looks! One of the judges have Groves winning 5/6 rounds!

Why were there four judges?
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58176 on: September 29, 2018, 08:01:45 am »
2 for Groves, 2 for Smith by the looks! One of the judges have Groves winning 5/6 rounds!

Why were there four judges?

It's for the super series in the event of a draw.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #58177 on: September 29, 2018, 08:39:24 am »
I had Callum 4-2 up but there is little point relying on my view because I wanted him to win so badly so any close rounds and I’m swaying towards Smith

Ones judge had Callum winning 5/6 and one had Groves winning 5/6 so thank fuck he does have that equaliser in him!

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58178 on: September 29, 2018, 09:55:38 am »
Chuffed for Callum. Well deserved.

Shame he doesn't fight at the same weight as that gobshite Bellew. Because he's by far a better boxer in my opinion.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #58179 on: October 1, 2018, 03:24:32 pm »
For the first time ever I might actually want fury to win a fight, he cracked me up during the presser earlier.

Wilder: Why didn't this happen years ago?

Fury: Because you're a shithouse mate

:lmao

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58180 on: October 1, 2018, 06:12:22 pm »
"I have better behaved children than you at home"  ;D I see the WWE stuff has already started between them, felt more like Jeremy Kyle than a press conference for a heavyweight bout. Should be a good fight no matter what happens.

Also surprised it hasn't been mentioned but HBO have stopped showing boxing. Shame, they've put out some truly classic fights over the years and their 24/7 series were top drawer. But end of the day, they dug their own grave by letting Mayweather go to Showtime, as well as many other top fighters.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2018, 06:17:20 pm by King.Keita »

Offline LFC_NCL

• Main Stander
« Reply #58181 on: October 2, 2018, 06:11:28 am »
i can't believe im saying this, but i want wilder to demolish fury, i mean first round TKO wipeout, and im not a fan of wilder either, matchroom can fuck off too

its that linear champion shit he keeps coming out with...yes, you won most of the gold beating wlad, but you never defended it, you got fat and coked up and used mental health as an excuse

bit like me going off the rails, losing my job, blaming my mental health (which millions of us suffer with), piss everyone off, then hope to go back to my job expecting the same position as before thinking i did nothing wrong, i love a bit of trash talk and entertainment to sell a fight, but keep it real, fury had it all, threw it all away, and still wants all the trimmings after the fact, fuck him, like he is the only c*nt with problems in his life, a bit of humility would have done his fan base a world of good, he calls AJ a bum while he tries to clean up the division, something he couldnt be fucked doing

do i think fury has the skills to beat wilder, absolutely, but i think it would be the worse thing for the division since he will either go off the rails again, or hold the belt hostage to play stupid fucking games with AJ

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #58182 on: October 2, 2018, 07:28:28 am »
i can't believe im saying this, but i want wilder to demolish fury, i mean first round TKO wipeout, and im not a fan of wilder either, matchroom can fuck off too

Aye me too. Think he might as well, Fury IMO is vastly over-rated based off one single fight against a below par Vlad.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58183 on: October 2, 2018, 08:40:51 am »
Much of what's being said about Fury here is correct, but even with all that, he's still got a CV that's miles better than Wilder. This will be Fury's 28th fight, Wilder's 28th was against Audley Harrison, and he would go on to fight such all time greats as Malik Scott and Jason Gavern.

My hunch is that (if the fight happens) this is a cash out for Fury, and so Wilder gets the win, but Wilder's entire record is smoke and mirrors at this point so who knows?

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58184 on: October 2, 2018, 08:52:12 am »
Much of what's being said about Fury here is correct, but even with all that, he's still got a CV that's miles better than Wilder. This will be Fury's 28th fight, Wilder's 28th was against Audley Harrison, and he would go on to fight such all time greats as Malik Scott and Jason Gavern.

My hunch is that (if the fight happens) this is a cash out for Fury, and so Wilder gets the win, but Wilder's entire record is smoke and mirrors at this point so who knows?
;D

You forgot to mention his era-defining wins over Bermaine 'off the sofa' Stiverne, Chris 'he was good enough to be a fringe contender about 5 years ago' Arreola, and Gerald 'I used to play in the NFL (well in practice squads)' Washington.

Amazing how a man who is world Heavyweight champion, with 40 fights, has just ONE half-decent win, against 82-year old Ortiz (where he was arguably saved by the bell).

I think he will KO Fury but if the former champ gets any kind of rhythm going, he could bamboozle Wilder. Fury also knows how to hold on the inside and Wilder won't like having a giant leaning on him for half the fight. It is conceivable that Fury could scruff a UD in a terrible fight but I don't see him avoiding a Wilder bomb for 12 rounds.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58185 on: October 2, 2018, 09:12:38 am »
;D

You forgot to mention his era-defining wins over Bermaine 'off the sofa' Stiverne, Chris 'he was good enough to be a fringe contender about 5 years ago' Arreola, and Gerald 'I used to play in the NFL (well in practice squads)' Washington.

Amazing how a man who is world Heavyweight champion, with 40 fights, has just ONE half-decent win, against 82-year old Ortiz (where he was arguably saved by the bell).

I think he will KO Fury but if the former champ gets any kind of rhythm going, he could bamboozle Wilder. Fury also knows how to hold on the inside and Wilder won't like having a giant leaning on him for half the fight. It is conceivable that Fury could scruff a UD in a terrible fight but I don't see him avoiding a Wilder bomb for 12 rounds.

Well I don't think we can call the Stiverne fights era-defining until we get the trilogy we've all been waiting for ;D

You've pretty much nailed Fury's game plan though, I don't think enough has been made of the size difference between the two.  Even in Dusseldorf shape, Fury is 2 1/2 stone heavier, and he won't be in Dusseldorf shape by December!  Wilder is tall but lanky and I don't think he can cope with Fury pushing him around the ring.  Basically what he did against Cunningham after the KD.

It's going to be an absolute stinker for the ages this one.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58186 on: October 2, 2018, 10:27:32 pm »
Well I don't think we can call the Stiverne fights era-defining until we get the trilogy we've all been waiting for ;D

You've pretty much nailed Fury's game plan though, I don't think enough has been made of the size difference between the two.  Even in Dusseldorf shape, Fury is 2 1/2 stone heavier, and he won't be in Dusseldorf shape by December!  Wilder is tall but lanky and I don't think he can cope with Fury pushing him around the ring.  Basically what he did against Cunningham after the KD.

It's going to be an absolute stinker for the ages this one.
To be fair, Fury seems to have a good boxing brain, and told a Ring magazine interview precisely how the Wlad fight would go before it happened. He said that the idea was to prevent the jab because Wlad never threw the big right unless he used the jab to follow up first.

Wilder could be a tougher study since the Alabama Windmill doesn't seem to know what the fuck he is doing half the time! Fury will obviously look to avoid the big right hand and get in close as often as possible because I don't think Wilder has a clue how to fight on the inside. Fury can switch hit so moving from orthodox to southpaw will confuse Wilder even more. The main problems Fury has are:

- Avoiding the huge right hands for 12 rounds. He has the savvy to hang on if need be but I don't like his chances if he gets caught with 2 minutes left in a round.
- Conditioning. Fury has always fought at a sensible pace but we have to assume he will find it hard to fight 12 hard rounds if Wilder pushes the pace. He can combat this by doing lots and lots of hugging on the inside. He needs to watch uppercuts though.
- Anticipating the movements of a fighter who is wildly unpredictable. Knowing how to tame a dangerous yet robotic fighter like Wlad is one thing, doing the same to a question mark like Wilder is another.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58187 on: October 3, 2018, 02:57:54 am »
Tyson Fury is pure box office, he never fails to have me in stitches. If he was an entertaining fighter, he’d be the total package.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58188 on: October 3, 2018, 09:25:24 am »
Fury will not see the 7th round

I will change my name to Latvian Electrician if he does

And if he wins I'll put something into the RAWK coffers

He is getting iced!

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58189 on: October 3, 2018, 10:20:27 am »
Fury will not see the 7th round

I will change my name to Latvian Electrician if he does

And if he wins I'll put something into the RAWK coffers

He is getting iced!
I don't disagree but some pretty ordinary/crap fighters have seen the second half of a fight against Wilder.

Wilder could conceivably take him out in a round if he catches him cold. However, he could get frustrated at being leaned on 2 minutes a round. The ref for this fight could be crucial come to think of it. If he allows lots of holding like the recent Okolie fight, you could well be getting called Latvian Electrician son  8)
« Last Edit: October 3, 2018, 10:22:46 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58190 on: October 3, 2018, 10:23:34 am »
I don't disagree but some pretty ordinary/crap fighters have seen the second half of a fight against Wilder.

Wilder could conceivably take him out in a round if he catches him cold. However, he could get frustrated at being leaned on 2 minutes a round. The ref for this fight could be crucial come to think of it. If he allows lots of holding like the recent Okolie fight, you could well be getting called Latvian Electrician son  8)

Ortiz should have had him out of there. I could easily see a scenario where Fury jabs his way to a boring 12 round win

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58191 on: October 3, 2018, 10:26:50 am »
Ortiz should have had him out of there. I could easily see a scenario where Fury jabs his way to a boring 12 round win
Wilder was out on his feet, end of round 7 I think; saved by the bell. Old man Ortiz is better than this version of Fury though.

This is one fight where no outcome would surprise me, barring an early Fury KO.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58192 on: October 3, 2018, 11:41:37 am »
To be fair, Fury seems to have a good boxing brain, and told a Ring magazine interview precisely how the Wlad fight would go before it happened. He said that the idea was to prevent the jab because Wlad never threw the big right unless he used the jab to follow up first.

Wilder could be a tougher study since the Alabama Windmill doesn't seem to know what the fuck he is doing half the time! Fury will obviously look to avoid the big right hand and get in close as often as possible because I don't think Wilder has a clue how to fight on the inside. Fury can switch hit so moving from orthodox to southpaw will confuse Wilder even more. The main problems Fury has are:

- Avoiding the huge right hands for 12 rounds. He has the savvy to hang on if need be but I don't like his chances if he gets caught with 2 minutes left in a round.
- Conditioning. Fury has always fought at a sensible pace but we have to assume he will find it hard to fight 12 hard rounds if Wilder pushes the pace. He can combat this by doing lots and lots of hugging on the inside. He needs to watch uppercuts though.
- Anticipating the movements of a fighter who is wildly unpredictable. Knowing how to tame a dangerous yet robotic fighter like Wlad is one thing, doing the same to a question mark like Wilder is another.

Good post. I think it remains to be seen how much of Fury's boxing brain came from his uncle though and I think not having him there could be crucial.

I think a lot of Wilder's unpredictability could be nullified by good fundamentals, if Fury keeps himself together and doesn't try any flashy stuff (I include the switch hitting in that) I think that combined with the size difference could be crucial. It's a big if though.

Conditioning could be less of an issue if he makes it an ugly fight, referee is crucial though as others have said, and the US officials don't like that stuff. Has Wilder's stamina really been tested? Having to try and shift an 18 stone lump off the ropes for 12 rounds is not going to be easy.

Good jabs and a tidy check hook could be Wilder's undoing on the outside, and I don't think the inside suits him at all.

Saying that, look at some of the loopy nonsense Cunningham was catching him with, and imagine the same thing from Wilder!

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58193 on: October 3, 2018, 12:57:38 pm »
I think the fight is too soon for Fury.  I can see him being ahead but he will have to take some shots and get knocked out.

The fight will suck though.  Fury will make it an absolute borefest.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #58194 on: October 3, 2018, 03:25:48 pm »
Tyson Fury is pure box office, he never fails to have me in stitches. If he was an entertaining fighter, he’d be the total package.

If he knocked people out and had a six pack he'd be a bigger star than McGregor.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58195 on: October 3, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »
If he knocked people out and had a six pack he'd be a bigger star than McGregor.

Behave, you’re underestimating the McGregor X factor there significantly

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58196 on: October 3, 2018, 07:16:45 pm »
He has nowhere close to the intensity and charisma of McGregor but he's still way more entertaining personality-wise than Wilder and Joshua.

Online cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58197 on: October 3, 2018, 10:05:36 pm »
He has nowhere close to the intensity and charisma of McGregor but he's still way more entertaining personality-wise than Wilder and Joshua.

But he's boring as fuck in the ring
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #58198 on: October 4, 2018, 09:35:04 pm »
But he's boring as fuck in the ring

Ah, the noble art of self defence

Online cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58199 on: October 5, 2018, 09:06:12 am »
Ah, the noble art of self defence

I wouldn't describe throwing 80 punches over 12 rounds as art. But what ever floats your boat I guess.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.