Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4236010 times)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #23240 on: September 9, 2012, 09:27:18 am »
Boom

I stuck a few quid on Ward via stoppage at 6/1. Like you, I felt that Dawson dropping weight could be a factor and I felt Ward would be the dominant fighter. I'd have him #1 P4P myself.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #23241 on: September 9, 2012, 10:10:22 am »
Dawson looked very weak, like he had nothing. Hard to drain down to 168lbs. Good as Ward is, dont forget Dawson came down 7lbs for that fight. I think Ward would of still won at 175 but itd of been closer. Dawson had nothing there, he looked so weak. Ward made it look easy though, he beat up Dawson. I dont know where hes going next though, hes in a bad situation when it comes to big name opponents, bit like Roy Jones was for much of his career! Where does he go next?

Technically, Ward is second to only Floyd for me. Everything he does he does brilliantly, his footwork was impressive, stepping into the jab, circling away towards the left to fire a right on the inside and ducking so Dawson couldnt land his left down the middle. His feints, opened Dawsons right side up, angling left hooks, the hooks to the body, the hard jabs. He knocked Dawsons jab down so early on as well Dawson didnt know what to do and by the 5th he was purely on the defensive (Dawson I mean). Ward Showed he is a complete fighter on that showing, great fighter.

Did anyone see the Adamek fight? Hell of a brawl that! Wont spoil it incase anyone hasnt seen it, go and have a look on here for it, cracking fight.

Well done Bellew as well, good win that and a good name on his record. Its hard to not like Bellew, hes a proper fighter. Was impressed with his head movement/defensive work. Interesting where he goes next as well!

Seen Klitschko and on that performance, Haye would knock him out. He looks very easy to get to now and I think Haye would get to him as long as it lasted. Thats if it happens of course.

Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #23242 on: September 9, 2012, 02:12:02 pm »
I stuck a few quid on Ward via stoppage at 6/1. Like you, I felt that Dawson dropping weight could be a factor and I felt Ward would be the dominant fighter. I'd have him #1 P4P myself.

There is a post a couple of years back in here when I was right on the Ward bandwagon, he has the lot and I really enjoy watching him even if he does use his head a lot

He has a shout for P4P#1 based on opposition recently but it's still Floyd for me and I think it will be until he hangs them up

My favourite fighter bar none is JMM and what Floyd did to him (regardless of weight) was ridiculous

Mayweather is a master, I have always felt he would beat Manny comfortably too

Made up boxing is back, next weekend is boss too

Martinez-Chavez Jnr
Macklin-Alcine
Canelo-Lopez
Gonzalez-PDL
Maidana-Soto Karass
Morel-Santa Cruz

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23243 on: September 9, 2012, 02:25:35 pm »
Another impressive performance form Ward. I didn't think he would stop Dawson I had him winning by UD.  I had a feeling that coming down in weight from light heavy would be a problem for Dawson and I think it showed. Ward has no competition at SMW I think it may be time for him to move up see how he does with the LHW.

Ward definitely is in the top 3 pound4pound behind Floyd and it's a toss up between him and Manny (even after he lost to Bradley).

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23244 on: September 9, 2012, 11:42:51 pm »
Enjoyed the Ward fight. To be honest I'd only really taken notice of him when he beat Froch, but he impressed me then and again last night. He's top 3 P4P now imo. Who will/should he fight next?

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23245 on: September 10, 2012, 07:28:28 am »
After watching Vitali at the weekend, I now think Haye has a legitimate shot of winning (I wouldn't bet on it mind). This is mainly because Vitali looks noticeably slower than even 12-18 months ago. Had they fought back in 2010, I think Haye would have received a hiding. Now, Vitali is ripe for the picking if Haye actually throws some shots. Maybe it was because Vitali knew he was up against dross but he didn't look very interested in there either. I could be wrong but he looked apathetic when he usually has a steely glare and mask of concentration.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23246 on: September 10, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
There is a post a couple of years back in here when I was right on the Ward bandwagon, he has the lot and I really enjoy watching him even if he does use his head a lot

He has a shout for P4P#1 based on opposition recently but it's still Floyd for me and I think it will be until he hangs them up

My favourite fighter bar none is JMM and what Floyd did to him (regardless of weight) was ridiculous

Mayweather is a master, I have always felt he would beat Manny comfortably too

Made up boxing is back, next weekend is boss too

Martinez-Chavez Jnr
Macklin-Alcine
Canelo-Lopez
Gonzalez-PDL
Maidana-Soto Karass
Morel-Santa Cruz

I can remember you calling that on Ward mate, made me take notice of him! How right you were!

Is Burns v Mitchell this month as well?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23247 on: September 11, 2012, 02:39:55 am »
I can remember you calling that on Ward mate, made me take notice of him! How right you were!

Is Burns v Mitchell this month as well?

Yes mate, 22nd, Scott Harrison on the undercard!

Carl Frampton fighting Steve Molitor too which should be a cracker and Lee Selby fighting Martin Lindsay who is always in a tear up

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23248 on: September 11, 2012, 09:55:48 am »
Im looking forward to that one now then! Should be a good night of boxing! Scott Harrison didnt look bad at all last time out, you could tell he was levels above the last guy he fought like, but the way he switched it from head to body and back brought back memories. Im not getting my hopes up though because theres always the chance he will do something stupid and fuck it all up!

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23249 on: September 11, 2012, 06:12:21 pm »
Ricky Hatton is expected to announce his comeback at a press conference called for Friday.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8072214/Hatton-set-for-ring-return

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23250 on: September 11, 2012, 06:15:44 pm »
No no no Ricky - no.

Don't do it!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23251 on: September 11, 2012, 06:19:32 pm »
Bad idea Ricky stay retired.

What will he do by coming back will go to WW or go back to LWW. Also he aint gonna face the elite fighters so who's he gonna fight.  Amir Khan maybe or someone like Malignaggi again. He could  could beat him and be the WBA welterweight champ again.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23252 on: September 11, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »
I'm with Fordy on this one. Its a very bad idea.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23253 on: September 11, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »
Funny enough when watching the Ward fight I thought Jamie Moore at been in training as he seemed to lost a little bit of weight.

Wonder if he has been training with Ricky? Ricky who hasn't been seen for months.

Hope Moore isn't thinking of returning also.

Don't do it!!

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23254 on: September 11, 2012, 06:57:03 pm »
Hope he stays retired; feel his punch resilience had gone before the Pacquiao fight. With the drinking and drugs, time out the ring etc. if he went in with someone who can bang he could get really hurt. The Pacquiao knockout was brutal.

Saying that if he does come back I will be expecting him to fight someone who is a weak puncher. My guess would be someone like Malignaggi who he has beaten before and is currently the WBA welterweight champ.

If he gets through that I would imagine he would look for a huge pay day fight against Khan. Although I am no Khan fan and don’t rate him that highly he would wipe the floor with Hatton at this stage of his career.

Offline shambles

• Kopite
  • It's not easy being green
« Reply #23255 on: September 11, 2012, 07:28:48 pm »
November 24 at the MEN Arena for anyone wondering.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23256 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:51 pm »
November 24 at the MEN Arena for anyone wondering.

For what?

Offline shambles

• Kopite
« Reply #23257 on: September 11, 2012, 07:52:38 pm »

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23258 on: September 11, 2012, 08:05:31 pm »
Funny enough when watching the Ward fight I thought Jamie Moore at been in training as he seemed to lost a little bit of weight.

Wonder if he has been training with Ricky? Ricky who hasn't been seen for months.

Hope Moore isn't thinking of returning also.

Don't do it!!

Jamie Moore has admitted he's been in training to see if he's got anything left.  He got a second opinion on his scans, which are what forced him to retire in the first place.  He's said he's not sure if he will come back, but he can't be wondering 'what if...' so he's been in training for a while to see where he's at.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23259 on: September 11, 2012, 08:07:40 pm »
Now obviously I don't want Ricky to come back but this is  the list of  current champions as of last week. Now of that list how many of those would he beat when he comes back excluding Mayweather. 

Welterweight

Randall Bailey - IBF
Paulie Malignaggi - WBA   
Floyd Mayweather - WBC
Timothy Bradley- WBO

Light Welterweight

Lamont Peterson  IBF (technically still champ)
Danny Garcia - WBA, WBC
Juan Manuel Marquez- WBO

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23260 on: September 11, 2012, 08:17:20 pm »
Jamie said he will come back if Hatton does!

Don't know what I think of this really, I think he could beat Khan though  ;D

Offline shambles

• Kopite
« Reply #23261 on: September 11, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »
Now obviously I don't want Ricky to come back but this is  the list of  current champions as of last week. Now of that list how many of those would he beat when he comes back excluding Mayweather. 

He won't fight them. It'll be Malignaggi and then Khan I think

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23262 on: September 11, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »
I dont think he'd beat any of them when he comes back if he ever fought them. He wont have a thing left, im sorry but he wont. Since he retired on the back of a very very bad knockout, which occured when he was still living the life of a fighter (sort of) when he hadnt spent the years before that pumping his body full of shit food, drink, coke all the while not training, he got sparked. Now you can go to a gym and train like an animal, get a 6pack and all that, but after years of abusing your body Hatton was never going to fight til he hit 40 like Hopkins does. Hes playing a dangerous game here, id be interested to see who he fought, I think Paulie would smack him around now as well, hes been gone too long to step straight in with a fighter at Paulies level, itll be more like an exhibition bout, nothing serious.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23263 on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:12 pm »

Welterweight

Randall Bailey - IBF. Murderous puncher at a weight where Hatton struggled. Highlight reel KO
Paulie Malignaggi - WBA.    Light punching but will have too much speed for this version of Hatton
Floyd Mayweather - WBC. No comment
Timothy Bradley- WBO. Would have struggled to beat him in his prime, never mind now

Light Welterweight

Lamont Peterson  IBF (technically still champ). To quick, too slick. Would lose imo
Danny Garcia - WBA, WBC. Young, strong, consistent body puncher with a decent left hook. Would lose imo
Juan Manuel Marquez- WBO. See Tim Bradley

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23264 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »
I dont think he'd beat any of them when he comes back if he ever fought them. He wont have a thing left, im sorry but he wont. Since he retired on the back of a very very bad knockout, which occured when he was still living the life of a fighter (sort of) when he hadnt spent the years before that pumping his body full of shit food, drink, coke all the while not training, he got sparked. Now you can go to a gym and train like an animal, get a 6pack and all that, but after years of abusing your body Hatton was never going to fight til he hit 40 like Hopkins does. Hes playing a dangerous game here, id be interested to see who he fought, I think Paulie would smack him around now as well, hes been gone too long to step straight in with a fighter at Paulies level, itll be more like an exhibition bout, nothing serious.

If Paulie is to smack him around mate then he is in trouble. Think I would fancy taking one of Paulie's punches full on.

Paulie then Khan would be a no no also. As even though I am not Khan's biggest fan I do think that Khan will be too quick for him now. The old Hatton(in prime) would of beat Khan but now I doubt it.

He might fancy taking on Kel.

I hope this come back isn't down to greed mate. It just seems that as soon as Sky said that they were no longer going to show Hatton promotion fights that he decided to get in to shape and fight again.

Was thinking about Hatton promotions the other day funny enough - What's happened to Hattons boxers? Not seen his top fighters for ages.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23265 on: September 11, 2012, 09:32:23 pm »
I think Paulie would be too quick and skilled for Hatton now mate, Paulie doesnt hit hard but hes quick and hes a very good boxer, you have to be to win world titles with what seems like no power at all. Hatton right now is just like a regular bloke coming off the street, training and stepping in the ring with a pro fighter. I think Kel would muller him as well though, unless hes finally going to stop ducking Junior Witter :D:D

I cant fathom why hes coming back apart from hes missing it, wants to go out on a win instead of that brutal loss, surely it isnt down to money but the point about Hatton promotions is interesting theory!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23266 on: September 11, 2012, 09:34:57 pm »

Agree mate the one's I see Ricky having a punchers chance against is Paulie and Garcia but the rest in my opinion he would lose if he fought them now.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23267 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »
I dont think he'll make 140 anymore and he was out of his depth at 147 but Ill wish him well whatever happens. Would rather he didnt come back but he was good for British boxing and for that I wish him well!

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23268 on: September 11, 2012, 09:48:55 pm »
I think Paulie would be too quick and skilled for Hatton now mate, Paulie doesnt hit hard but hes quick and hes a very good boxer, you have to be to win world titles with what seems like no power at all. Hatton right now is just like a regular bloke coming off the street, training and stepping in the ring with a pro fighter. I think Kel would muller him as well though, unless hes finally going to stop ducking Junior Witter :D:D

I cant fathom why hes coming back apart from hes missing it, wants to go out on a win instead of that brutal loss, surely it isnt down to money but the point about Hatton promotions is interesting theory!

Junior Witter is a good shout mate.

Think Witter has to fight Gavin next though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:50:40 pm by Fordy »

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23269 on: September 11, 2012, 10:00:23 pm »
I don't see how anyone can make an informed opinion on Hatton until he first of all he announces a come back but secondly has at least one decent name on his record

If he comes back against a current world champ he must have gained some serious confidence from sparring

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23270 on: September 11, 2012, 10:17:09 pm »
Junior Witter is a great shout for a comeback fight for Hatton. Maybe someone like Paul McCloskey or someone will come up from Lightweight like Gavin Rees. If Hatton cannot make light Welterweight anymore I wouldn't be suprised if it is someone like Denton Vessell.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23271 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:46 pm »
Hatton really should stay retired. It would be terrible to see him KO'd by someone who he would have sparked in his prime. It happens too often in boxing. Very entertaining fighter and I wouldn't like to see him come back and get hurt. Maybe a very soft fight to go out with a win but that's about it I would hope.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23272 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:47 pm »
Ironically, Ricky has the sort of bad habits that could mean staying active in boxing is actually the healthier lifestyle option

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23273 on: September 16, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »
Where going to get Pacquiao vs Marquez IV.

I thought Marquez won their last fight but they gave it to Manny any way I think Marquez will  get the victory over Pacquiao this time.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/170200.html
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:03:36 pm by Samie The Red »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23274 on: September 16, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »
Itll never be Witter, he would of had Hattons number in his prime never mind now. Hatton is already doing my head in talking about a rematch with Floyd, Pac man, Kel Brook etc, lets see how he does on his come back fight first. A good opponent for me would be Katsidas, a name ive heard thrown about. Like I said ill be happy for a Hatton come back and support him cos of what hes done for British boxing, unless he fights my good mate Junior Witter then ill be hoping he gets knocked cold!!!

Good fight Martinez and Chavez as well! Especially the 12th! Glad Chavez didnt luck out after being dominated the way he was tho!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23275 on: September 16, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
^^
Thought Martinez was winning comfortably until the 12th round.

Ricky's saying that he doesn't wanna fight any journeyman's because that's not going to get him a world title. Also says he would like to fight Brook and Khan.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/170126.html

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23276 on: September 16, 2012, 08:42:47 pm »
Itll never be Witter, he would of had Hattons number in his prime never mind now. Hatton is already doing my head in talking about a rematch with Floyd, Pac man, Kel Brook etc, lets see how he does on his come back fight first. A good opponent for me would be Katsidas, a name ive heard thrown about. Like I said ill be happy for a Hatton come back and support him cos of what hes done for British boxing, unless he fights my good mate Junior Witter then ill be hoping he gets knocked cold!!!

Good fight Martinez and Chavez as well! Especially the 12th! Glad Chavez didnt luck out after being dominated the way he was tho!

Do you know Junior mate? Known Junior for a while.

Anyway I think Junior would do him - always thought that (maybe cause I know him). If Junior gets past Gavin then I think he will call out Hatton(again) however if I was Junior I would be calling out Matthew Hatton cause Matthew has no power and Junior would take him out.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23277 on: September 16, 2012, 09:24:16 pm »
I dont think Junior would have done a thing to Hatton in his prime. Junior abysmal workrate and  lack of fundamentals would have seen him bumrushed and overwhelmed by hatton. In my opinion. Hatton was expert at cutting off he ring,had good underated footwork and when he bothered to use it, an excellent jab. The name son his record

The best name on Witter's record got knocked the f*uk out by a guy that barely makes Hatton's top 10 wins

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23278 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:40 am »
Do you know Junior mate? Known Junior for a while.

Anyway I think Junior would do him - always thought that (maybe cause I know him). If Junior gets past Gavin then I think he will call out Hatton(again) however if I was Junior I would be calling out Matthew Hatton cause Matthew has no power and Junior would take him out.

Aye mate trained with him years ago when I was training with the Ingles, hes a good lad.

I think he would of gave Hatton all sorts of problems, his style was horrible but Hatton had no boxing brain at all for me, he only knows how to fight one way and he keeps it like that no matter who he fights. Junior can hit, trust me, Hatton was wide open a lot, his best strength was him being able to bully people around with his power and engine but I dont think he would be able to work him out and he'd get beat. I dont care about his record, Im talking about him vs Hatton. For me Junior would of beat him, always thought it but we'll never know now, a win over him now would mean fuck all either!

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #23279 on: September 17, 2012, 01:13:38 pm »
I'm curious if Pacquiao vs Marquez will be in Mexico or not? .... I doubt it will but seeing Pacquiao said he'd be interested in fighting Marquez in Mexico...