Author Topic: Crystal Palace 1 - 0 Liverpool - Post match comments etc  (Read 14784 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: Crystal Palace 1 - 0 Liverpool - Post match comments etc
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:02 pm »
Unfair. Put Alonso behind Potter, Le Tallac and Welsh and see what miracles he can do. I'm not saying Gerards better than Xabi, but he didn't have the best players around him today.

Again I did say that I wasnt blaming him for the actual defeat, the blame is firmly with the team and Rafa today.

The difference Alonso has made in the last games cannot be understated. I cannot say the same about Stevie of late

It just seems that Alonso is able to inspire the rest of the side into playing well more than our own Captain.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline waffle

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:24 pm »
Dont think i can take a year in the uefa cup playing against teams you have never even heard of. A bad result on wenesday and this could be a season one would want to forget

Offline RedJedi

• Kopite
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:31 pm »
Can't blame him to be honest. Rafa probably had some kind of masterplan which the players jsut didn't follow or couldn't quite understand...
Perhaps Baros was part of that plan...  ???

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I think Rafa has a problem getting his point across to his players, due to his lack of English.
His spoken English might be alright but I bet he can't shout and scream in the dressing room. When I see him standing in his technical area he only ever gives hand signals unless Xabi is on so he can communicate quickly to him.
In the summer we should be looking for someone to hand out the bollockings at half time, and get the team worked up.
At least when GH was here at least he had PT to do the dirty work for him.

But given a couple of seasons I'm sure he'll get the hang of it.

Viva la Rafalution
Fernando Torres - Turning Kopites gay since 2007

Offline CarraLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:47 pm »
Am I being cynical or does Rafa see a bit of publicity and glory for himself in the CL? If he gets a bunch of unfancied, semi-nohopers through to the CL final and Real Madrid bullet their manager in the summer........?

Thats rubbish in my opinion mate

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:55 pm »
Still doesn't excuse the poor attitude and lack of commitment, though. The very least you can do while wearing the red shirt is try. Too many of our players turned up and just went through the motions.
I also got the feeling that a lot of these players had the CL game on their minds. Not enough fight, spirit, awareness or anything positive, really.

In the game I saw, they lads were trying alright. They just couldn't string the passes together - partly because they were unused to playing together - and in Welsh, Potter and Le Tallac's cases, because they weren't used to the pace of a all-or-nothing Premiership game.

A lot of frustration and not enough composure. It was composure and creativity we were lacking not bottle.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline CuffMkII

• Main Stander
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2005, 05:40:00 pm »
Am I being cynical or does Rafa see a bit of publicity and glory for himself in the CL? If he gets a bunch of unfancied, semi-nohopers through to the CL final and Real Madrid bullet their manager in the summer........?

Just cynical  ;D  :wave

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2005, 05:40:26 pm »
have not read all of this thread, but you are all of your fuckin trolleys, and I mean it, sack Rafa etc, even the hardened Liverpool fan would agree blah fuckin blah, back to the boozer till Tuesday I think, bye fickle fuckers
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2005, 05:40:26 pm »
There were definately tears in Rafa's eyes. Had the interview not ended then he would have needed tissues.

Never seen Rafa this angry - he looked absolutely gutted.

He's not the only one who's gutted.
Totally pissed  off would be a more apt way of putting it.   :no

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2005, 05:40:35 pm »
he can afford not to rotate because he has good enough players to come in and take over if anyone gets injured. We don't have that luxury.

How many other managers, with a squad like ours, would have rested players today knowing they had a huge game on the wednesday? I think more than most.

Nah I don't buy that for one second. Fact is HE could have fielded a different team today than Wed. and DIDN'T. Because today's game was important enough to RISK his key players. ALL his key players have played twice a week since fuck Know's when. Was today's game not equally important to us?

That's the bottom line.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2005, 05:40:54 pm »
Again I did say that I wasnt blaming him for the actual defeat, the blame is firmly with the team and Rafa today.

The difference Alonso has made in the last games cannot be understated. I cannot say the same about Stevie of late

It just seems that Alonso is able to inspire the rest of the side into playing well more than our own Captain.

Then we agree. Let's put them both together and watch then go...

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2005, 05:40:56 pm »

You are not being cynical - sensationalist maybe!

No chance. The man is a gent, he's had a shite season luck-wise had lots of difficulty, has openly said he's working harder, more hours etc than at Valencia i dont question his commitment one little tiny bit. He WILL do the job, it is the first season dont forget.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2005, 05:41:21 pm »
Bolton
Chelsea(h)-DRAW
Pompey(a)-DRAW
Everton(h)-WIN

Giving them 59 points

So i still think we stand a chance so dont give up yet

YNWA
Not sure we can rely on a Bolton win on the last day if they are already out of contention for 4th place

9 points needed now and a hell of a lot of hope
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2005, 05:41:51 pm »
You were talking sense up until that post, mate.

I know. It's bollocks.

He's clearly pciking a side with Wednesday in mind though. I can't follow that cos even if we lose on Wednesday, nobody will blame him. If we can't finish above a team including Stubbs, Weir, Naysmith, Watson, Pistone etc etc then, you've got to say, someone is responsible for that fucking disaster.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2005, 05:41:58 pm »
Rafa had a gamble on tema selection and it didn't come off, he would probably expect a bit of criticism for that just as he would have been praised to the heavens if he'd rested those players and still got as result.

CL is the priority now, we need to do enough in the league to ensure UEFA, apart from that we're playing for pride, although it would be nice to see some of that on a more consistent basis....

You talk sense mr Filo  ;)

Said before the team put out was good enought to win the gaem, and then I go and say Raffa should take some blame for that, im a bit weird huh?

We needed to rest Alonso although I thought he'd be on the bench and its a shame Garcia was injured but lets hope hes back on Wednesday.

Alot of players were lacking heart and commitment out there, I think we'll see a clear out come summer and see strong minded skillfull two footed players come in.

Not getting 4th wont do alot of harm to us, we'll still have the same money to spend coz Stevie will say goodbye to us and we'll go out and bring players who'll want to play for the club not just because we're in the CL.

Offline CarraLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2005, 05:42:15 pm »
What is more annoying is the lack of fight and passion. It would be easier to accept defeat if we were just plainly not good enough but still gave our all but we dont. We are good enough but just dont show the passion

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2005, 05:42:36 pm »
Holy shit....

Im sure rafa looked like he was crying  :o
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2005, 05:42:51 pm »
He says getting 4th is more important than the Champions' League.

He says it is the priority.

He says the players should concentrate on it.

Has he shown it in his selections? No. He is dreaming of European glory, to gain glory on the continent. But there is a positive to it. He has chosen one thing to concentrate on, instead of fighting two battles. That may leave us with a few fresher players for the semi-final.

Anyway, back to the main thing to discuss the match. Everyone could see we had a 3-5-2 out there today, a rarity in today's Premiership. The principle is there, 5 midfielders when you are attacking, up to 5 defenders when you are defending. It didn't work today, not with the personnel. Le Tallec was willing, but lacked the quality in his roaming role. Pellegrino was not up to the task again. Morientes was slow in response, terrible in the first touch. Baros gave another good impression of a headless chicken. Gerrard flattered to deceive again. It is all the usual things, which results in perhaps the usual result, another to join the hall of infamy.
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2005, 05:43:12 pm »
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I think Rafa has a problem getting his point across to his players, due to his lack of English.
His spoken English might be alright but I bet he can't shout and scream in the dressing room.

He'll have a team of all Spniards soon to solve the communication problems (except Carra - but then who can understand a word he says?)

Offline Crazy-Horse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2005, 05:43:30 pm »
Was today's game not equally important to us?

which is more important? winning the CL or getting fourth?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2005, 05:43:33 pm »
What is more annoying is the lack of fight and passion. It would be easier to accept defeat if we were just plainly not good enough but still gave our all but we dont. We are good enough but just dont show the passion

good enough for what? On paper vs Palace, Saints, Brum etc. yes? For consistent performances we're way off.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2005, 05:44:53 pm »
Really disappointed with the performance. I know we've got Chelsea on Wednesday, but still it's no excuse for playing as we did. Not happy not too see Riise or Alonso, but hey, they aren't machines and need to be rested at some point.

Pellegrino was shocking today I thought. Was surprised to see him in there seeing as Traore, Carragher and Hyypia were doing so well. Even more surprised to see Traore marauding down the left wing. ???

Just a poor performance, half of me can't wait for the season to end and the other is wondering how the fuck I'm gonna do my exams in Turkey.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2005, 05:45:06 pm »
Anyone saying sack rafa is a tosser

He got it wrong today though, but we all make mistakes. He'll learn from these mistakes and wont repeat them next season. Please god play cisse upfront though
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline CarraLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #222 on: April 23, 2005, 05:45:22 pm »
good enough for what? On paper vs Palace, Saints, Brum etc. yes? For consistent performances we're way off.

We have good enough players to wallop dross like Palace but you have to fight to get victory, you cant just turn up and expect to win no matter who you are and thats what we dont do. We get outfought.

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2005, 05:46:07 pm »
Ok so evertons run in

Fulham (a) - DRAW
Newcastle (h)- DRAW
Arsenal(a)- LOSE
Bolton (a)-LOSE

Giving them 60 points

Liverpool
Boro (h)- WIN
Arsenal(a)- LOSE
Villa(h)- WIN

60 points

Bolton
Chelsea(h)-DRAW
Pompey(a)-DRAW
Everton(h)-WIN

Giving them 59 points

So i still think we stand a chance so dont give up yet

YNWA

Although its not looking good, yes we still have a chance (slim one at that).

I'll for one will 100% behind the lads until it is mathematically impossible.

Come on reds, lets try and salvage something from this dire Prem season.
 :wanker

:wave

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2005, 05:46:15 pm »
Some perspective:

Alex Ferguson's record at the Mancs:

11th
2nd
11th
13th
6th
2nd

The rest is history. Anyone that's read my posts on here knows I'm not a Mancs supporter, but hopefully you can see the point I'm making. Keep the faith because Rafa will take us where we want to be.

It is example of what patience can bring. But also, might I add, a rare example. Are there many others?

I'm not implying anything, just replying in reply to the topic of your post..
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2005, 05:46:23 pm »
Dont think i can take a year in the uefa cup playing against teams you have never even heard of. A bad result on wenesday and this could be a season one would want to forget

Bet you loved it in 2001 though eh.

Offline CarraLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2005, 05:46:53 pm »
FUCKING TYPICAL. We are the 90minute game on football first

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2005, 05:47:30 pm »

Now... probably the CL.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2005, 05:47:50 pm »

Wouldn't split them meself, but at this stage of the season I think  it's wrong to put all your eggs in one basket.

Your board name tells us all where your priorities lie, which is fair enough.

I just don't agree.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2005, 05:48:23 pm »
We needed to rest Alonso although I thought he'd be on the bench and its a shame Garcia was injured but lets hope hes back on Wednesday.

But did we really need to rest Igor, Nunez, Vladi, Riise? Rest one or two when absolutely necessary, but today was too much for a high pressure game.

But it wasn't just his selection it was also his formation. Johnson and co were having a laugh at Pelle and Sami's lack of pace. It doesn't get exposed in a game like the Juve game when the defence is stuck on the edge of the box. Traore as a wing back? He gave the ball away three times with his first touch! Didn't we look better when Riise came on and we switched to 4-4-2?

Offline waffle

• Anny Roader
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2005, 05:49:04 pm »
the simple fact is if we dont if we dont quailify for the cl it puts us 2-3 years behind in development. wityh all the loss in revenue and player not coming and other teams getting away from us.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2005, 05:49:07 pm »
Now... probably the CL.

So getting 4th was more important initially?

Never seen such bollocks in me life, whats the point in getting into it if getting into it the year after is more important than fuckin winnin it?

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2005, 05:49:23 pm »

Are you gonna commit suicide then?

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 23, 2005, 05:49:56 pm »
I'll for one will 100% behind the lads until it is mathematically impossible.

That's the spirit :)

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2005, 05:50:21 pm »
All very noble I'm sure, but you are missing the point by a country mile. Rafa is the man for the job, no doubt in my mind.

But today he fucked up BIG style. No argument about that. Maureen's team will take the field with key players on Wed. who were 'risked' today. Don't see much rotation from him at this sharp end of the season - and he has far more players than us to bring in; AND of better quality than Welsh and Potter.

No you've got a fair point, but I like to put these results in some kind of context. We don't have a good enough squad to guarantee fourth, we didn't under Houllier, and we don't under Rafa. He has made big strides, but not enough because of limited resources and a horrendous injury list. Perhaps he screwed up today, but what about all the games where we underperformed with a best choice team out there? To say it's all his fault is missing the point, not saying this is just a run of the mill result. Anyway, I'm off to salvage what's left of the weekend, there's no point giving myself a brain hemmorhage in here.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 05:52:21 pm by zigackly »
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Mrfabulous

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2005, 05:50:44 pm »
DESIRE, DRIVE, DETERMINATION Palace had it all in abundance and we showed none of it.
very disappointing performance, the only good thing is that it wasn't worse.

I hope and pray that they can pick themselves up in time for Chelsea.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2005, 05:50:44 pm »

Never seen such bollocks in me life, whats the point in getting into it if getting into it the year after is more important than fuckin winnin it?

Exactly, the only reason we want 4th is to win the european cup, am i right in saying that then?
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2005, 05:50:54 pm »
Whatever happens, this season has been a good one as far as I'm concerned.

Offline CarraLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2005, 05:51:09 pm »

Its all about money nowadays. Not for the fans but it is for football clubs.

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2005, 05:51:14 pm »
Can we start a 'Chelsea, pre-match build up' thread now.

Starting to get depressed.

Has put the weekend on a downer.  :(