Author Topic: Eurovision 2024 (May 11th, semis on the 7th/9th)  (Read 8538 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Eurovision 2024 (May 11th, semis on the 7th/9th)
« Reply #560 on: May 12, 2024, 12:56:13 am »
Spot and and what a lot of people miss.

It was the best of a bad bunch this year though.

Apart from Jersey mentioning Maneskin who did really well, there have been some catchy fun tracks the last couple years like '10 years' from that Icelandic band I can't pronounce an a few others like it, but the last two years have been really shit.

It's just fun, poppy stuff though and like has been mentioned a lot about it all isn't actually about the music, it's the whole insight into Europe and a night were everyone can connect on some level and see what crazy shit people are going to pull next!

Solo performer, Daði Freyr. He would likely have won it the year before had covid not halted things.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #561 on: May 12, 2024, 12:57:25 am »
I was taken right back to Eurotrash when the Spanish entry was on.
wish idve seen it. It was either some buff farmer  ploughing a field wearing just Timberland boots and white socks with his plums on show. Some dead fit bird or an absolute fucking loon tattooed to look like and aardvark crawling round a little Italian village with her baps oot that communicates by licking its arse clean with a tongue that’s been implanted onto its left arse cheek

God I miss Antoine

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #562 on: May 12, 2024, 12:58:09 am »
Europe is the home of the far right. Its not inconceivable thats loads of people on this continent love whats happening in Gaza.

Or maybe it was people trying to support a young woman who had put a target on her head for what her right-wing government is doing and in many cases with heavy undertones of antisemitism. It's quite "funny" reading the views in this thread on what people think why people voted for Israel. It's even more "funny" that in a thread about Eurovision which is basically the epitome of colourfulness black and white thinking seems to be the norm. The world really is going to shit...

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #563 on: May 12, 2024, 01:15:56 am »
Or maybe it was people trying to support a young woman who had put a target on her head for what her right-wing government is doing and in many cases with heavy undertones of antisemitism. It's quite "funny" reading the views in this thread on what people think why people voted for Israel. It's even more "funny" that in a thread about Eurovision which is basically the epitome of colourfulness black and white thinking seems to be the norm. The world really is going to shit...

As I said before, if you don’t think that the geopolitical situation influenced the public voting for the Israeli entrant then you’re probably being a bit naive. It was the underlying cause of Ukraine winning in 2022 (with a perfectly likeable song), and so politics and conflict can clearly have a huge impact on voting and the outcomes.

In a normal year I’d say by Eurovision standards it was a decent if unremarkable song. The juries were underwhelmed by it (though I acknowledge that there may be bias in their voting). It scored hugely in the public vote and very nearly got the highest number of points from it. I have no opinions on the Israeli performer, she did a perfectly good job in what must have been an exceptionally challenging situation under enormous scrutiny. That the original plan was to make reference to the Hamas attacks was a significant attempt to stoke flames and they were wise to backdown.

I’m not saying that all their votes were political, just that a significant number would have been. Netto from Israel won a few years ago with an insanely catchy song. It deserved to win and I liked it and her. I struggle to see that their song year was anywhere near as good as that, or as catchy or interesting as the other main contenders this year.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 01:26:13 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #564 on: May 12, 2024, 01:25:31 am »
In-the-room audio during Israel's performance - which may have been quite different from what was heard on TV...

(the same thing occurred in Thursday's semi-final; video here: https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/status/1789427293372240030 - 45 second clip; on BBC Newsnight)

From tonight's Final...

What was heard on TV...

https://twitter.com/MarinaMedvin/status/1789384020519776495 (full 3 minute performance)

What was heard in the room...

https://twitter.com/chrismegrath/status/1789379173217079443 (45 second clip)

https://twitter.com/DrEliDavid/status/1789411921189360090 (17 second clip)

https://twitter.com/Habatir/status/1789433301876260882 (5 second clip)

and boos and jeers when the Israel judge appears onscreen to give the results of the Israeli vote...

https://twitter.com/BrentHBaker/status/1789421216710713556 (58 second clip)

'Eurovision Fans Call Out Show for Suppressing Audience Boos of Israel’s Eden Golan | Video':-

But loud boos could be heard on the broadcast when an Israeli representative submitted the nation’s votes

www.thewrap.com/eurovision-israel-boos-eden-golan-sound-song-contest

'Protesters clash with riot police at Eurovision arena and yell ‘shame on you’':-

The lyrics of Golan’s song were changed to remove what organisers called references to the Hamas attack on October 7

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/11/eurovision-malmo-arena-train-station-closed-amid-protest-clash-20821250/?ico=top-stories_home_top

'Chaotic build-up to Eurovision as thousands protest':-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68996532

'Eurovision loses almost a quarter of UK viewers compared with 2023':-

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/may/12/eurovision-loses-almost-quarter-uk-viewers-olly-alexander

« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 06:59:06 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2024, 01:27:04 am »
As I said before, if you don’t think that the geopolitical situation influenced the public voting for the Israeli entrant then you’re probably being a bit naive. It was the underlying cause of Ukraine winning in 2022 (with a perfectly likeable song), and so politics and conflict can clearly have a huge impact on voting and the outcomes.

That's not what I'm saying though. Of course it was influenced by the geopolitical situation. What I'm saying is that people should maybe be a bit more aware of what that overall situation is before claiming that Israel only got all those votes, because of right-wing c*nts and bots and people who support the slaughter of people. While those groups will probably have voted for Israel, at least in the German speaking part of Europe a lot of the discussion was about how people want to vote for Israel to support the singer and to take a stand against antisemitism aimed at her on social media. So, clearly this is a complex situation, but people are going for the easy "us good, them bad"-answer that makes them feel better. I find this disgusting in a thread about a competition that promotes the exact opposite.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2024, 01:34:43 am »
That's not what I'm saying though. Of course it was influenced by the geopolitical situation. What I'm saying is that people should maybe be a bit more aware of what that overall situation is before claiming that Israel only got all those votes, because of right-wing c*nts and bots and people who support the slaughter of people. While those groups will probably have voted for Israel, at least in the German speaking part of Europe a lot of the discussion was about how people want to vote for Israel to support the singer and to take a stand against antisemitism aimed at her on social media. So, clearly this is a complex situation, but people are going for the easy "us good, them bad"-answer that makes them feel better. I find this disgusting in a thread about a competition that promotes the exact opposite.

That’s entirely fair enough, and ultimately why any discussion on the subject is fraught with problems. The ethnic and religious element of a nationalistic or political conflict makes it far more divisive. It’s why conversations on the war in Ukraine tend to be far more straightforward and, in the context of RAWK, easier to moderate…

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: May 12, 2024, 01:52:58 am »
The act was one of the worst at the finals but got a hugely skewed public vote. Is it controversial to say this? The isreali government are also a far right government so it makes sense for far right people in Europe to vote for them?

Don't get me wrong, the far right in Europe will go back to hating Jews like they've always done. It's just that now their stars have aligned.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2024, 02:07:11 am »
All I know is Bob ain't signing that Israel act.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: May 12, 2024, 02:38:17 am »
We can all agree Estonia we're robbed.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: May 12, 2024, 06:12:06 am »

This Israeli satirical comedy sketch (from 2016) sums up my feeling towards this year's Eurovision.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gEzDD0dZU8U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gEzDD0dZU8U</a>

The irony of the Queers for Palestine brigade is not lost on anyone here in Israel. I wonder what the leaders of the Hamas Islamic Resistance Movement thought about Switzerland's winning non-binary entrant? 'Chickens for KFC'!

Although i never watched it, i am incredibly proud of Eden Golan who handled herself amazingly well, in the face of so much unpleasantness. Eurovision is supposedly 'all about the music', but the fact that not a single entrant could condemn the disgusting threats and hatred against an innocent 20-year old woman, is indicative of the plight of the Jews of Europe today. One reporter even openly victim-blamed her, asking her why she dared to endanger the other groups with her participation!

At the risk of being political, I join the majority of fellow Israelis in calling for a ceasefire NOW and for the return of all of the hostages!

An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: May 12, 2024, 07:08:04 am »

Oh yeah people did support what she was going through, with a lot of those people being the right and far right wing. Clearly they have illustrated that they are the most compassionate of all of us.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #572 on: May 12, 2024, 07:47:18 am »
I'm surprised israel didnt win there was a campaign all over social media and  even the Israeli government took out ads to try to get people to vote and each person could vote up to 20 times.

Labour Friends of Israel
@_LFI
Very best of luck to Eden Golan in tonight’s
@eurovision final.

Eden's resilience and strength in the face of vile intimidation is an inspiration.

Vote 6 for #EdenGolan and 'Hurricane' 🇮🇱

Even in the USA they took a ad out on the big billboard

Israel in New York

@IsraelinNewYork
·
May 10
🎉📢 Attention all Eurovision fans in New York and beyond! The Consulate General of Israel in New York has taken over Times Square with a special message: Vote #6 for Eden Golan and her song "Hurricane" this Saturday!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 09:12:01 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: May 12, 2024, 08:02:28 am »
Decent nights entertainment. Winner was a good all rounder, above average song (for Eurovision) but with a unique staging and a performance executed perfectly.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #574 on: May 12, 2024, 08:25:53 am »

Bob’s moved into football these days. Got this great little player on his books, says he’s George Weah’s cousin.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #575 on: May 12, 2024, 10:54:23 am »
wish idve seen it. It was either some buff farmer  ploughing a field wearing just Timberland boots and white socks with his plums on show. Some dead fit bird or an absolute fucking loon tattooed to look like and aardvark crawling round a little Italian village with her baps oot that communicates by licking its arse clean with a tongue that’s been implanted onto its left arse cheek

God I miss Antoine
Here ya go. Stick with it - it gets better. If 'better' is the right word.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FOMoQoHG5aU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FOMoQoHG5aU</a>
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: May 12, 2024, 11:11:47 am »

If you go on twitter, you'll find that the most vocal supporters of her around europe (and US) do appear to fall into the far-right category, with many zionists among them. The song itself, before the lyric change, was unambiguously political which, rightly or wrongly, didn't help people's attitudes towards her.

And most opposition doesn't come from a place of antisemitism.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #577 on: May 12, 2024, 11:32:00 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FOMoQoHG5aU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FOMoQoHG5aU</a>
Wonder if they ever played the British Legion in Netherton? Go down a storm after the darts

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #578 on: May 12, 2024, 11:34:59 am »

Honestly, it's my favourite of the year. The intro is absolutely superb.

That, Austria and maybe Croatia are the only ones I'll be adding to the ever-growing Eurovision playlist to listen to in years to come.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: May 12, 2024, 12:12:18 pm »
Don’t think I’ve ever seen such discrepancy between jury/public vote as in the case of Croatia. Comfortable winner of public vote, not even top 5 for the jury.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #580 on: May 12, 2024, 12:25:54 pm »
Don’t think I’ve ever seen such discrepancy between jury/public vote as in the case of Croatia. Comfortable winner of public vote, not even top 5 for the jury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest_2016

Poland 2016 is surely still the benchmark for this. They only received SEVEN points from the juries and were in 2nd last place when the public votes started. At that time they didn't read the votes out in reverse order of jury standings, but in ascending order of public points. Despite being so low, the wait for Poland's public points stretched out and they eventually got 222 points (3rd most from the public), catapulting them up the table to finish in 8th place overall.

If it had been done with the current system, Poland's points would have been announced second after Germany and they'd have shot above everybody except Australia, who had 300+ from the juries.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 12:29:00 pm by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #581 on: May 12, 2024, 01:12:05 pm »
How dare they campaign for votes in a competition decided by voting, absolutely disgusting!

The most important thing is that Israel finished above Ireland and England, maybe if they concentrated more on their song and performance instead of on Israel they would have faired better
It's the work of Mossad bots didn't you know? Only question is who bankrolled them, the Rothschilds or George Soros?

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: May 12, 2024, 01:14:16 pm »
Beautiful reading Eylon I'm a C*nt Levy losing his shit on his X account since midnight.

Now he's going for 3 Spanish judges who didn't give 1 vote to Israel.

The new "Woke" and "Anti Semites" fault apparently.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: May 12, 2024, 01:26:22 pm »
Wonder if they ever played the British Legion in Netherton? Go down a storm after the darts
Lovely. I'm sure it would be talk of the town for ages afterwards.

I was trying to remember of what your comment reminded me - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, perhaps?
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: May 12, 2024, 01:33:30 pm »

That, Austria and maybe Croatia are the only ones I'll be adding to the ever-growing Eurovision playlist to listen to in years to come.
Na. Not fussed with any of them. I rather liked the Armenian entry. But, frankly, that was largely because I found the lead singer rather fetching.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: May 12, 2024, 01:38:11 pm »
How dare they campaign for votes in a competition decided by voting, absolutely disgusting!

The most important thing is that Israel finished above Ireland and England, maybe if they concentrated more on their song and performance instead of on Israel they would have faired better
I almost posted my own response to that post, but deleted it. Could not be arsed with it.

The UK entry was pretty shit (even by Eurovision standards). The singer was shit and the judges low vote and the public zero-vote was well deserved.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 01:56:29 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #586 on: May 12, 2024, 01:38:24 pm »

Not sure this is correct, Croatia came third in the jury vote and in fact there were far bigger discrepancies last night.

Croatia got 337 from the public and 210 from the juries. Discrepancy of about 127 points.

Last night Ukraine got 307 from the public and 146 from the juries which is a discrepancy of 161. And Israel even more marked, 323 from the public and 52 from the jury, so a discrepancy of 271 (if my maths is right).

Finland last year was very stark for this too. 150 from the juries and 376 from the public.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 01:40:04 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: May 12, 2024, 01:42:27 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest_2016

Poland 2016 is surely still the benchmark for this. They only received SEVEN points from the juries and were in 2nd last place when the public votes started. At that time they didn't read the votes out in reverse order of jury standings, but in ascending order of public points. Despite being so low, the wait for Poland's public points stretched out and they eventually got 222 points (3rd most from the public), catapulting them up the table to finish in 8th place overall.

If it had been done with the current system, Poland's points would have been announced second after Germany and they'd have shot above everybody except Australia, who had 300+ from the juries.
You know way too much about Eurovision. ;D

Last night was the first time I've watched Eurovision in a very long time, possibly decades. I enjoyed it lot more than I thought I would. Still, I cannot imagine ever compiling Eurovision playlists. :P

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #588 on: May 12, 2024, 01:45:52 pm »

Where did I say they shouldn't campaign for votes?

Just said Im surprised they didn't win with all the campaigning they did, with the help from different  factions like political parties and Governments. 
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #589 on: May 12, 2024, 01:47:42 pm »
Last night this was a happy non argumentative thread. Proper morning after the night before. In true RAWK style some people can find a way to argue about anything
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: May 12, 2024, 02:07:07 pm »
Last night this was a happy non argumentative thread. Proper morning after the night before. In true RAWK style some people can find a way to argue about anything

What are you on about eh?
Who made you the boss here?

😁

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #591 on: May 12, 2024, 02:14:11 pm »

I’m just waiting for the Welsh and Scottish to get stuck in after reading about how England did badly. :D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: May 12, 2024, 02:48:14 pm »
Beautiful reading Eylon I'm a C*nt Levy losing his shit on his X account since midnight.

Now he's going for 3 Spanish judges who didn't give 1 vote to Israel.

The new "Woke" and "Anti Semites" fault apparently.

I never pictured Andrew Neil being such a big Eurovision fan either.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #593 on: May 12, 2024, 03:11:18 pm »
Where did I say they shouldn't campaign for votes?

Just said Im surprised they didn't win with all the campaigning they did, with the help from different  factions like political parties and Governments. 

As I said yesterday though, there was no way they were going to win though, as they were always going to do poorly with the juries.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #594 on: May 12, 2024, 03:24:58 pm »
What are you on about eh?
Who made you the boss here?

😁
Just passing comment

It’s a forum init can say what I like and there’s nothing you can do about it ;)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #595 on: May 12, 2024, 05:22:30 pm »
Still, I cannot imagine ever compiling Eurovision playlists. :P

Well it started small and snowballed... back in the day when I was downloading MP3s a lot more regularly, I got into the habit of downloading the official CD release after every show so I could listen to a couple of the ones I liked. This would have started 2006 maybe? After a couple of years I ended up just moving those songs into their folder rather than keeping the full albums, and it just went from there, year after year. Some years I'd add about a dozen songs, others it would be just 2 or 3. Stopped a few years ago in favour of just adding them to a streaming platform playlist instead - it's my girlfriend's preferred playlist when we're on a long drive somewhere due to the sheer variety, especially with nearly 20 years' worth of tracks.

We never watched Eurovision when I was a kid, my parents obviously couldn't stand it. I was aware of it and remember watching the '98 show after the UK had won the year before, but it wasn't until 2004 at uni that I properly watched the whole thing... and I haven't missed one since. I wouldn't say I know a lot about Eurovision. I don't follow any of the backstage news or anything, but I've got a good memory and there's a fair chance if I heard a random Eurovision song from the last 20 years I'd be able to place the year and the country, or at least get close.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: May 12, 2024, 06:40:55 pm »
Well it started small and snowballed... back in the day when I was downloading MP3s a lot more regularly, I got into the habit of downloading the official CD release after every show so I could listen to a couple of the ones I liked. This would have started 2006 maybe? After a couple of years I ended up just moving those songs into their folder rather than keeping the full albums, and it just went from there, year after year. Some years I'd add about a dozen songs, others it would be just 2 or 3. Stopped a few years ago in favour of just adding them to a streaming platform playlist instead - it's my girlfriend's preferred playlist when we're on a long drive somewhere due to the sheer variety, especially with nearly 20 years' worth of tracks.
I a bit like crack or meth, then!? There should be a warning!
We never watched Eurovision when I was a kid, my parents obviously couldn't stand it. I was aware of it and remember watching the '98 show after the UK had won the year before, but it wasn't until 2004 at uni that I properly watched the whole thing... and I haven't missed one since. I wouldn't say I know a lot about Eurovision. I don't follow any of the backstage news or anything, but I've got a good memory and there's a fair chance if I heard a random Eurovision song from the last 20 years I'd be able to place the year and the country, or at least get close.
My parents and us kids would watch it every year when growing up. At some stage I developed a dislike for it - early teens, I guess - and stopped watching it. But sometime in my early adulthood (early to mid 20s, I think), I probably appreciated it again for what it is and its kitsch value. I remember my then girlfriend (it would have been '94) being less than impressed when I made a defense of Eurovision. But then again, she was from Dublin, so I think part of her dislike of it was Terry Wogan - I think she saw him as 'a professional Irishman'. ;D Similarly, I disliked Wogan in my teens, but developed a fondness and appreciation for him later on. He was perfect for the show. (I am not so impressed by Graham Norton).

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: May 12, 2024, 06:47:19 pm »
I'm really sad for Croatia. They were my favourites by a considerable distance this year (and clearly the public loved them too), but for the 2nd year in a row, the public's favourite wasn't backed enough by the juries.

I do wonder how the voting would have been skewed had Netherlands not been disqualified. The argument could be made that Switzerland wouldn't have scored so many 12's from the juries, resulting in Croatia winning the whole thing on public vote. All meaningless speculation sadly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #598 on: May 12, 2024, 06:56:26 pm »
Just passing comment

It’s a forum init can say what I like and there’s nothing you can do about it ;)
And it’s exactly the reason I wanted Finland to win. After a week of stuff that has nothing to do with Eurovision, I thought they were the perfect antidote
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: May 12, 2024, 07:58:16 pm »
I almost posted my own response to that post, but deleted it. Could not be arsed with it.

The UK entry was pretty shit (even by Eurovision standards). The singer was shit and the judges low vote and the public zero-vote was well deserved.

It would have been nice if the LFI had also posted something positive about the UK entry

The competition would have been a lot better by not including  Israel, as it doesn't Russia.'

Red Guy is such a Eurovision fan he thinks England have entered  :o

The Eurovision thread on here last year was really good.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.