Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v West Ham United, Anfield 24th September KO 2pm  (Read 9099 times)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!

Liverpool and West Ham are not clubs you would normally assume have much in common.

The ‘ammers are rooted in their rented E20 stadium in London whereas L4 is about 228 miles north.
However, there have probably been more players than you would care to remember who have donned the famous red jersey at Anfield whilst also representing the claret and blue of West Ham at Upton Park.

As with any signing from any club, some turn out to be good, or even excellent, signings, whilst there are others that you wish you could erase from your memory for evermore and pretend it never happened (I’ll get to Paul Konchesky later…)
There are also one or two that you may not have even realised that they actually played for West Ham at all – Ray Houghton anyone?

I’ll start with Javier Mascherano.  I still don’t think anyone ever got to the bottom of how Mascherano and Carlos Tevez ended up at West Ham, and even more bizarrely how Mascherano found himself being kept out of the team by Hayden Mullins and Nigel Quashie!
We know that the entire situation became a bit of a mess with West Ham fined for breaking rules regarding third-party ownership and Mascherano was swiftly moved on to Liverpool in January 2007.
Masch’ was exactly the sort of player Liverpool needed to sit in alongside the silky Xabi Alonso and give Steven Gerrard more licence to get forward and form a deadly partnership with Fernando Torres.   Mascherano was labelled a “monster of a player” by Rafa Benitez shortly after signing for the club and the quartet of Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Gerrard and Mascherano-oooo….. became the ‘best midfield in the world’.  Masch’ was probably the best player to have represented both clubs and it was no surprise when Barcelona eventually came calling where he would win several league titles and two European Cups with the Catalan giants.

Yossi Benayoun was another player who, whilst he didn’t hit the heights that Mascherno did, was a vastly under-rated player by some.
Yossi was another player Liverpool signed from West Ham under controversial circumstances and West Ham were far from happy with him by the time his agent brokered a deal to join The Reds.

Benayoun only spent 3 seasons with Liverpool but scored some important and memorable goals in that time, including the winning goal against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu in the Champions League, a 94th minute winner at Craven Cottage to give Liverpool real hope of finally ending their title drought and a goal in the Europa League semi-final against Ateltico Madrid. 
Benayoun was eventually sold in July 2010 to Chelsea as part of the Hicks and Gillett fire-sale.

There are some notable other names who have also been on the books at both clubs, though not necessarily transferring directly between the two clubs, or even actually playing a first team game for them.
Rob Jones, had a spell on West Ham’s books but the injuries that plagued him throughout his career meant he was unable to actually represent them in a first team game.

Rob Jones in action for West Ham

Another England right-back in Glen Johnson fared better, though he passed through Chelsea and Portsmouth before Rafa Benitez brought him to Liverpool in 2009 to replace the outgoing Alvaro Arbeloa, who had packed his bags for Real Madrid.  Johnson played 200 games for Liverpool before departing for Stoke in 2015.
Arbeloa also joined West Ham in 2016, playing 3 games before hanging up his boots!

Titi Camara was a cult hero amongst many Liverpool fans.  Whilst not the most prolific striker to have ever adorned the Liverpool shirt, his passion was unquestionable and he is probably most remembered for his emotional tribute and tears after scoring the winning goal against West Ham at Anfield the day after his father died.

Rigobert Song - who also played for both clubs(!) consoles Camara following his goal against West Ham

Camara would soon join West Ham however, he failed to score in the 14 games he played and West Ham agreed a loan deal for him to join Al-Ittihad which led Camara to sue West Ham for breach of contract (which he lost!).  West Ham were relegated and his contract was terminated!

Paul Ince also went the long way round in representing both clubs, as his path took him via Manchester United and Inter Milan before arriving at Anfield to try to add some steal to Roy Evans’ midfield in 1997.   By the time he arrived though, the self-titled "Guv'nor" wasn’t the midfield enforcer he’d once been, and was infamously labeled a 'big-time Charlie' by Man Utd boss Ferguson. 

"Charlie, it's for you-hoooo"

Some erratic performances and injuries to key players (Fowler, Redknapp, Thomas and Berger) meant Liverpool struggled at times and exited the cups early; however, Liverpool managed to secure a UEFA Cup place at the end of Ince's first season by finishing a respectable 3rd in the league.  Ince captained Liverpool the following season, but then Gerard Houllier was brought in to work alongside Evans and Ince was quickly moved on.   

There, have, of course been others who probably stand out less that the ones mentioned before.  Neil Ruddock joined West Ham from Liverpool and Julian Dicks joined Liverpool from West Ham with a short cross-over in between.  They were two of Graeme Souness's less astute signings, though, lets be honest, there are a fair number to choose from.
David (Bugsy) Burrows, Mike Marsh and Don Hutchison are also from a similar era of players who represented both clubs.
David James, and more recently, Adrian have kept goal for Liverpool and West Ham, with the latter scoring a winning penalty for West Ham against Everton in the cup and also playing a role in the reds' first title winning success in 30 years.

Before I get on to Paul Konchesky (shudder), a quick mention should go out to Craig Bellamy.
Whilst not everyone's cup of tea, Bellamy was a charismatic (and chaotic) footballer who scored some vital goals for Liverpool during his two spells with the club and his passion was unquestionable.

A rare photo of Bellamy not moaning at the referee!

And so we come on to Paul Martyn Konchesky.  A full-back who was capped by England (twice!) and who can point to appearances in an FA Cup and Europa League Final - both of which he lost!
Konchesky is, along with Joe Cole, another of the Hicks and Gillett era signings and is remembered more for his his mother's outburst at Liverpool fans over anything he did on the pitch whist playing for the club for 6 months!
You may remember, Konchesky had a stinker against Stoke, with Liverpool losing 2-0 and dropping towards the bottom end of the table.  Liverpool fans were (shall we say) less than pleased with him and vented their frustrations on social media; then Carol Koncehsky weighed in with her views on Liverpool fans, calling them "Scouse scum" and accued fans of living in the past to comments to friends which were leaked to the press.

Mummy's boy!

Needless to say, her son didn't last too much longer at the club and King Kenny, who had thankfully replaced Roy Hodgson by then, sent him to Nottingham Forest on loan and he never returned to the club again!

There are others whom I could write about, including Robbie Keane and Andy Carroll but this preview has gone on long enough talking about the past, so it's time to talk about the game this Sunday...   Due to time restrictions, this report was compiled before the Europa League games on Thursday!

West Ham and Liverpool are also aligned in their European commitments this season.  West Ham's victory in Conference League last season has propelled them in to this year's Europa League, whilst Liverpool's disappointing campaign last season has seen them slip out of the Champions League in to Europe's second tier competition.

West Ham have had a good start to the new campaign.  Prior to the international break, they were 4th in the table with an identical record to that of Liverpool (4 games, 10 points), chalking up good wins against Chelsea and Brighton along the way, and despite taking the lead against Man City last weekend, they finally succumbed and eventually lost 3-1; this stretched West Ham's winless run against Man City to 16 league games, so it was hardly surprising that they slipped to their first defeat of the season!

Jarrod Bowen has continued where he left off in the UEFA Conference League Final by getting on the score-sheet on a few occasions already this season and new signing James Ward-Prowse has hit the ground running with 2 goals and 3 assists and has been racking up a nice haul of FPL points for those who own him!

Meanwhile, hosts Liverpool are currently unbeaten in the league, despite having to do things the hard way.  Victories with 10-men against Bournemouth and Newcastle have also been coupled with some Jekyll and Hyde displays.  Comfortable enough against Aston Villa but less so against Wolves (in the first half!) and a "meh" game against a poor Chelsea side to kick off the season!
Midfield acquisitions are settling in nicely though and there is a better balance to the side now, with several options in attack as Gakpo, Nunez, Diaz and Jota tussle for starting berths alongside the undroppable Mo Salah, who has managed 6 league goal involvements already this season!
Liverpool will have captain Virgil van Dijk back after suspension and Ibou Konate managed some minutes at the end of the Wolves game as he gets back to fitness.  Trent Alexander-Arnold has been out with a hamstring issue, but is due to return to training this week so may feature.

West Ham striker Michail Antonio fancies West Ham's chances: "I am backing myself over Liverpool," he said on the Footballer's Football Podcast. Antonio continued: "You know what, I think we are going to finish higher than Liverpool this season. I'm putting it out there.

"I watched the game [Wolves vs Liverpool] because it was before our game and Wolves could have run away with it! They had quite a few opportunities. We've got them this weekend and it's a six-pointer. We've got them!"

In the corresponding fixture last season, Liverpool edged out West Ham with a Darwin Nunez winner coming mid-way through the first half.

The game is not being televised live in the UK, but this thread should help you out: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=323139.0.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:28:25 am by ashleyrose-66 »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v West Ham United, Anfield 24th September KO 2pm
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 10:40:38 am »
Grab a brew and get in there :wave

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 10:44:47 am »
Have to keep them away from set pieces.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 10:50:41 am »
Nice one Ashley! Rob Jones in a West Ham shirt looks very odd. I’d forgotten about that. Hate the way his time here ended, absolutely robbed by injuries.

Looking forward to this. Been some talk from Antonio. We know how they’ll play. Him up top. Few tricky attacking midfielders on the break. Set piece threat. But if we’re anywhere near our best we’re better. Let’s hope we prove that.

Feel like another 3-1, but we’ll score first for a change.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 11:32:01 am »
Mikhail Antonio of the "it's a fact, well it's not a fact but in my mind it's a fact" infame?  :lmao

He's as sharp as a loofer in a toolbox. No wonder he thinks the Liverpool of last season has turned up again this season. Got to hope he's making the rest of his teammates believe the same.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 11:36:20 am »
I wonder if Trent will be back for this?

It’s going to be tough as a short turnaround and they have quick players on break. They obviously played Thursday too.

Jota and Gakpo to come in as they didn’t start?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 11:53:08 am »
I wonder if Trent will be back for this?

It’s going to be tough as a short turnaround and they have quick players on break. They obviously played Thursday too.

Jota and Gakpo to come in as they didn’t start?

Its possible, I think surely Diaz starts though ??

I'd like Diaz Nunez Salah to start but you just never know !

Hope Trent is back too.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 12:21:41 pm »
No press conference today?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 12:24:21 pm »
Every West Ham goal I've seen this season has either been on the counter or a set piece. Keep them quiet in them regards and we should be sound. Decent start to the season for them but I still expect come the end they'll be in the bottom half of the table with European commitments again.

Alisson
Trent   Konate   VVD   Robertson
Mac Allister   Szoboszlai   Jones
Salah   Nunez   Diaz

No need for any rotation here, go as strong as we can considering it'll be a changed side against Leicester. Some might not be able to do 90 minutes again but there's five subs. Hopefully Trent is back but Gomez looked good off the bench again last night. Salah/Nunez/Diaz haven't started together nearly as many times as they should have, and I feel it's our best attack on it's day, it's got pace and it's got output in front of goal, should be enough to see the job done here you'd hope.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 12:25:21 pm »
Hard to know what the team will be but I'd guess, based on last night's selections that the following are likely to start:

Alisson, Gomez, Matip, Robertson, Jones, Szoboszlai, MacAllister, Gakpo, Jota, Salah

I think Gomez not starting yesterday means TAA is likely out and therefore it's a choice between van Dijk or Konate to play alongside Joel Matip.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 12:30:58 pm »
I don’t think both of  Gakpo and Jota will necessarily start just because they didn’t come on last night. I’m quite happy to see Diaz and Nunez get another run out. Jota and Gakpo off the bench and can also play against Leicester if they need minutes. Plenty of games to go around for everyone at the moment. But Diaz, Nunez, Salah feels a really exciting front three at this moment.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 12:38:06 pm »
They are really up for this.  A normally gloomy iron in my office says that they will be very Moyes low block and will concede 1, maximum.  He also says whatever set-piece they have, doesn’t matter if we have VVD and Konate back, JWP will deliver.  I am used to him being so much more pessimistic.

Would be brilliant if Trent is back.  In any event, we should be too good, as long as we focus and use the crowd.  It won’t be easy.  Unless it is!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 12:43:02 pm »
I don’t think both of  Gakpo and Jota will necessarily start just because they didn’t come on last night. I’m quite happy to see Diaz and Nunez get another run out. Jota and Gakpo off the bench and can also play against Leicester if they need minutes. Plenty of games to go around for everyone at the moment. But Diaz, Nunez, Salah feels a really exciting front three at this moment.

I'm sure it won't go exactly this way for multiple reasons but before the international break I'm happy with Salah/Nunez/Diaz for the next three league games and Doak/Gakpo/Jota for Leicester and Union SG. There's a week between each league game so we wouldn't be overplaying any of the first choice front three, plus the bench will be strong either way.

Salah will be fine for 90 minutes at the weekend but I wouldn't expect Diaz and Nunez to go the whole game if they do start it. Maybe takes them off on the hour and looks at them for the bench against Leicester. All in all it's been managed pretty well so far as the results are good and there's not been any injuries in attack. Here's hoping it stays that way anyway.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 01:51:35 pm »
Come on Jurgen unleash Salah Nunez Diaz up front. Brought Nunez into FPL for the first time, he can't be that far off becoming a guaranteed starter for us, surely.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 01:53:53 pm »
Great write up AR. Tough game on paper, hopefully we grab the first goal resulting in a routine win.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 02:09:08 pm »
No silly free kicks, I'm sure WHU will be diving, it will be their only chance to get anything with JWP playing for them.

I think we'll win quite comfortable though. 

3-0 I reckon.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 02:12:23 pm »
Never enjoy playing West Ham. Hopefully we can have a fast start like we did against Villa.

3-1 again to the Reds.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 02:14:05 pm »
Hard to know what the team will be but I'd guess, based on last night's selections that the following are likely to start:

Alisson, Gomez, Matip, Robertson, Jones, Szoboszlai, MacAllister, Gakpo, Jota, Salah

I think Gomez not starting yesterday means TAA is likely out and therefore it's a choice between van Dijk or Konate to play alongside Joel Matip.
we have leicester in the cup & spurs next saturday.
It needs to Salah,Nunez & Diaz. Jota & Gakpo then midweek.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 02:15:01 pm »
Like some have said already, I do like the Salah-Nunez-Diaz forward line especially now with Salah's improved eye-for-a-pass. I know Nunez and Diaz started in midweek but i think we need to start getting some continuity up front.

Back 5 is set, subject to Trents fitness. I just wonder if Endo will start in midfield, given West Ham's power on the counter? Alex Mac and General Szob to start also.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2023, 02:30:52 pm »
Between Antonio fancying West Ham to finish above us this season, and the people who believe JWP belongs in the signings so far XI ahead of Szobo, I would absolutely love to put West Ham back in their box here. A 4 or 5 goal tonking would be lovely.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 02:40:30 pm »
No presser ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2023, 02:45:19 pm »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2023, 02:50:12 pm »
No presser ?

always some pressure with a moyes hoof hit and hope team.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2023, 03:44:30 pm »
Nice one Ashley.

I knew there’d been a few to represent both clubs but there’s more than a few there I’d not realised at all. Arbeloa and Bellamy!?

Pin that Antonio tripe up on the dressing room wall and Jurgen needs no words. Just play to our best, regardless of team selection, and we’ve got enough to beat these. I’d really like a clean sheet but as always, any win will do.

I’d like Núñez to keep his spot, feel he’s building up some real good momentum and is in form. He doesn’t have to play the full game and can have midweek completely off if needs be. As Nick says, plenty of games to go around so let’s just go with our most blistering and frightening front 3.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2023, 03:49:03 pm »
I see no argument for Jota and Gapko to start together right now. Except for the value of being able to bring Diaz and Nunez on against tiring legs at 50/55 minutes.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2023, 03:50:03 pm »
I have a feeling Gakpo starts this one.  Had a rest midweek, Nunez apparently struggled a little on international duty and then played the full game midweek, think we'll see him on the bench.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2023, 04:29:31 pm »
Anything in the press conference about who’s available, assume Trent & Thiago still missing?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2023, 06:02:59 pm »
I think that they will try and disrupt our gameplan, possibly by scoring an early own goal - well I hope so anyway.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2023, 08:40:41 pm »
I think that they will try and disrupt our gameplan, possibly by scoring an early own goal - well I hope so anyway.

Please can we not go 1-0 down.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2023, 09:44:58 pm »
Thank you for the write up as always by our amazing OPs every week.

I think this is going to be a bit different than most our games, closer to Newcastle away with WHU being very physical and Antonio speaking way too much. There is no reason why we can't turn over a Soucek, Alvarez, JWP midfield. Need to be really careful with set pieces.

I'd go with a Jones (at 6), Mac and Szob midfield. Gomez, Konate, VVD, Robertson back 4 considering we can heavily rotate against Leicester next. Diaz has played a lot this week so maybe we the same front 3 as Wolves this time.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2023, 10:12:40 pm »
Diaz and Nunez are dead certs for Sunday with Mo and then Jota, Gakpo and Doak against Leicester midweek and then the first choice again of Diaz, Nunez and Mo for Spurs next Saturday. We can replace both Diaz and Darwin Sunday between 60 and 70 depending on the game state with the explosive options we have on the bench.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2023, 10:50:24 pm »
Thanks Ashley Rose. You put a lot of work into that and although Masch was one of my favourite players I must admit that Glen Johnson was one who I especially liked.

As for the game, I don’t mind who we start nor if we go 1 down as we have a squad who are starting to gel and we can bring on subs who do not reduce the quality of the team one bit. That to me is crucial as it means we can change style and keep going 100% right up to the final whistle. If one player is having an off day or is getting tired then we can bring on an exceptional sub……not many other teams can do that.

I therefore have little doubt that we will win and I fully expect West Ham to have a real go at us but we will wear them down. We have the better team, we now have a very good midfield and in Salah we have a player who is truly world class.
#JFT97

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2023, 02:53:07 am »
3 points please. Happy Days.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2023, 03:22:41 am »
Thanks for the OP Ashley. Loved Rob Jones, but had forgotten he joined them. Such a shame the injuries he had.

Really hope we can start a bit better than has become the norm. They’re clearly a decent side and have started the season well, but we’re better.

Difficult to be sure who’s going to play outside of Alisson, Gomez, Virgil, Robertson, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai & Salah who are pretty much nailed on.

I wondered if Gakpo might come in for Jones and Nunez start up top, with either Jota or Diaz on the left. But it may be Gakpo or Nunez, if Jones starts.

I know he played the full game the other night but I really hope Nunez starts. It feels like he’s ready to properly explode with a run of games.

If we can get ahead early this could be comfortable, and the law of averages means we have to start well again soon! Fairly hopeful we’ll win however it plays out though
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 03:24:22 am by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2023, 07:08:02 am »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Ashley. I always had high hopes for Mike Marsh when I was a kid!
Think this will be really tough, a tough start to a season defining three league matches. Seven points and we are well in the game for a tilt. They have a few quality players and set pieces will be a real danger.
Expect Trent, not having heard presser, and think same midfield three as last week. Not sure up front, if they go for a low block and playing in the break then Jota and Gakpo could work. Think we win 2-1. Glad I will be at this, first of the season.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 07:11:01 am by RogerTheRed »
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2023, 09:34:27 am »
Against a low block like west ham, I think Gakpo and Jota will be useful. Both are good in tight spaces and ball retention. I hope to see thiago come in this week. Nunez or Diaz as a sub is what I think Jurgen will try. We will need skillful players here more than pace.
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2023, 09:38:24 am »
Against a low block like west ham, I think Gakpo and Jota will be useful. Both are good in tight spaces and ball retention. I hope to see thiago come in this week. Nunez or Diaz as a sub is what I think Jurgen will try. We will need skillful players here more than pace.

Darwin wrecked these at Anfield last season.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2023, 09:48:13 am »
So, 1-0 down at half time anyone?

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2023, 10:57:37 am »
nice 2 or 3 nill win tomorrow

alison
gomez virg konate robo
dom mac jones
mo  cody  diaz

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2023, 11:58:05 am »
So, 1-0 down at half time anyone?

half time thread wankers will never learn ;D

but to be honest rather not be chasing the game so early on. there is only so many times we can pull the rabbit out of the hat.

2-0 at half time and early third goal would be utopia. get the subs in and keeps our legs fresh. might even end up 3-1 or nervy 3-2 as long as we get the 3 points.

not sure the hammers have the fighting spirit but the inbred c*nts in black will give them every chance in the game.