Author Topic: Chelsea - schooled by Liverpool's kids  (Read 208881 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Re: Chelsea - The Saudi money is just RESTING in Todd Boehly's Account
« Reply #560 on: August 22, 2023, 01:58:17 pm »
What’s dodgy about it ?

They can fund massive spending on the back of selling Home Grown players for reasonable sums. £35m income means they can fund £280m of spending (assuming their use of 8 year contracts). Why are they putting off the income till next year (you can have him now but let's put the transfer in 24/25 accounts), makes no sense unless it benefits them (or Newcastle pushing the spending back to the next transfer window)

This is what I meant about treating expenditure and income equally otherwise it creates an imbalance. I would not be surprised if this deal allows both clubs to get around FFP somehow but I'm not an accountant.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: August 22, 2023, 04:39:16 pm »
Dodgy deal alert 🚨

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66580461

This deal is helping Newcastle, but not really helping Chelsea, by postponing the permanent deal until July 1st 2024. The Italian clubs have been doing it for years ...

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #562 on: August 22, 2023, 04:50:26 pm »
This deal is helping Newcastle, but not really helping Chelsea, by postponing the permanent deal until July 1st 2024. The Italian clubs have been doing it for years ...

By using amortisation they are storing up problems for the future, this pushes back their problems (this year sorted by Mount+) for next year. They need a steady stream of selling youngsters to keep up the investment, it helps when they spread them over time.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #563 on: August 22, 2023, 05:11:44 pm »
What I don’t understand is where Chelsea are getting the income to fund their spending. Amortisation doesn’t magic up cash flow. Amortisation allows them to circumvent FFP but it doesn’t circumvent actual pounds in and out.
They can only spend what they earn and FFP limits inflated sponsorship deals and cash injections.
They have a smallish ground , no Champions League etc..
they won’t be paying Brighton over 8 years …
I know I’m thick but I can’t understand this.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: August 22, 2023, 06:02:30 pm »
more Chelsea financial bullshit ....

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-chelsea-premier-league-deal-27568472

While securing an uplift in sponsorship value was always going to be challenging given Chelsea's underperformance last season, maintaining the status quo prevents a potential decrease in the value of their sponsorship assets in future negotiations. Chelsea has recently entered into a multi-year agreement with Infinite Athlete, a sports-focused technology firm, reportedly worth $51m (£40m/€47m) per year.

This deal would have provided some stability while giving the London club greater leverage in future sponsorship discussions. However, the Premier League is currently scrutinizing the deal under its "fair market value" guidelines.

The focus of the scrutiny lies in the connection between Boehly, Clearlake and Infinite Athlete. The company was created through a recent merger between Tempus Ex Machine and Biocore, with Tempus Ex Machine already being a technology partner of Chelsea.

Another concern is the involvement of US private equity firm Silver Lake, a major investor in Infinite Athlete and American sports apparel firm Fanatics. While the Premier League is expected to assess these complex investment links, they may also examine whether Infinite Athlete's annual turnover of around $15m (£12m/€14m) aligns with the proposed $51m (£40m/€47m) per year deal with the football club.

As things stand, a decision is yet to be made by the Premier League, leaving Chelsea in a state of uncertainty and potentially facing several more weeks without a front-of-shirt sponsor. The situation could have significant implications for the club if they are forced to seek new sponsors mid-season, considering that exposure opportunities for partners have already begun.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: August 22, 2023, 06:06:18 pm »

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-chelsea-premier-league-deal-27568472

While securing an uplift in sponsorship value was always going to be challenging given Chelsea's underperformance last season, maintaining the status quo prevents a potential decrease in the value of their sponsorship assets in future negotiations. Chelsea has recently entered into a multi-year agreement with Infinite Athlete, a sports-focused technology firm, reportedly worth $51m (£40m/€47m) per year.

This deal would have provided some stability while giving the London club greater leverage in future sponsorship discussions. However, the Premier League is currently scrutinizing the deal under its "fair market value" guidelines.

The focus of the scrutiny lies in the connection between Boehly, Clearlake and Infinite Athlete. The company was created through a recent merger between Tempus Ex Machine and Biocore, with Tempus Ex Machine already being a technology partner of Chelsea.

Another concern is the involvement of US private equity firm Silver Lake, a major investor in Infinite Athlete and American sports apparel firm Fanatics. While the Premier League is expected to assess these complex investment links, they may also examine whether Infinite Athlete's annual turnover of around $15m (£12m/€14m) aligns with the proposed $51m (£40m/€47m) per year deal with the football club.

As things stand, a decision is yet to be made by the Premier League, leaving Chelsea in a state of uncertainty and potentially facing several more weeks without a front-of-shirt sponsor. The situation could have significant implications for the club if they are forced to seek new sponsors mid-season, considering that exposure opportunities for partners have already begun.

Premier League will do nothing about it and we all know it.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: August 22, 2023, 06:11:51 pm »
Premier League will do nothing about it and we all know it.
of course they'll do something!

they will think about it.

for a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very

... long time.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: August 22, 2023, 06:15:41 pm »

By using amortisation they are storing up problems for the future, this pushes back their problems (this year sorted by Mount+) for next year. They need a steady stream of selling youngsters to keep up the investment, it helps when they spread them over time.

Well, we've seen how it ended up at Leeds, some 20 years ago, and more recently at Everton. Betting on future revenues is never a good policy ...

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: August 22, 2023, 06:21:20 pm »

It's not like they'll stop spending.  Their squad is average for the £900m outlay.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: August 22, 2023, 06:36:28 pm »
I think we are overthinking it:

What is sketchy about a recently formed start-up, funded by Clearlake, making revenues* of 15m a year, offering to sponsor Clearlake funded Chelsea for 51m a year?

I'm not seeing it.

*alleged revenues.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #570 on: August 22, 2023, 06:47:42 pm »
Absolutely nothing dodgy about that. You gotta spend money to make money.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: August 22, 2023, 06:48:11 pm »
10 year stretch in prison or 10 years at Chelsea?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #572 on: August 22, 2023, 07:25:11 pm »
10 year stretch in prison or 10 years at Chelsea?

Chelsea, definitely! Loads of money for a start. And I’m shit at football, so I’d never get picked, and become that myth of a player fans are convinced is the missing link if only the manager would give me a chance. Every team has them.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: August 22, 2023, 10:30:53 pm »
At this point, Chelsea are like that gambler who gets into more and more debt with the loan sharks, hoping for that one big score that will clear his entire debt. We all know how it usually ends ...

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #574 on: August 22, 2023, 11:56:54 pm »
At this point, Chelsea are like that gambler who gets into more and more debt with the loan sharks, hoping for that one big score that will clear his entire debt. We all know how it usually ends ...
Yeah everything Boehly does.. he's almost like an addict.
Like someone who just can't get that permanent fix.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #575 on: August 23, 2023, 12:50:08 am »

Considering Ethiad, Etisalat and Man City are owned by the same people with a pretty transparent ownership and the Premier League seem to have no issue with that I wouldn’t hold my breath over this one.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #576 on: August 23, 2023, 01:52:15 am »
Chelsea might have a higher ceiling to accumulate and absorb debt with creative accounting, but there is no way this is some brilliant strategy no one has thought about before these. Like Leeds before them, this crazy spending will catch up with the club, and plenty would love to see it happening.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: August 23, 2023, 02:11:58 am »
People complain about our owners constantly, but to my knowledge they've never, ever, engaged in the slightest dodgy deal like this to grab a quick, short term buck to balance the books.

Perhaps they wish FSG had.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: August 23, 2023, 07:57:48 am »
I wonder if in a few years, this will become the Enron of football and a case study in accounting loopholes and mismanagement. Although, I think Leeds and any number of clubs would have provided enough lessons for governing bodies to learn from.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: August 23, 2023, 08:30:45 am »
Chelsea will be deemed 'too big to fail', if they ever do get to that situation, and will likely get all the assistance they need.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: August 23, 2023, 09:47:46 am »
Chelsea will be deemed 'too big to fail', if they ever do get to that situation, and will likely get all the assistance they need.

They might be kept in the Premier League, like Everton are, but that would be a torture for everyone involved ...

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: August 23, 2023, 09:50:38 am »
Unfortunately the fixtures fall kindly for Chelsea now until late october so I expect their mini slump to end
H Luton
H Wimbledon (LC)
H Forest
A Bournemouth
H Villa
A Fulham
A Burnley
H Arsenal  (21st Oct)
H Brentford

Counterpoint to that is that any points they lose in these early games, which is obviously possible while trying to settle in a bunch of new players, will result in likely points being wasted i.e. a similar situation to everton who should be expecting to get a fair amount of points from their first ten games due to those being the weaker opposition in general.

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #582 on: August 23, 2023, 09:54:12 am »

They can fund massive spending on the back of selling Home Grown players for reasonable sums. £35m income means they can fund £280m of spending (assuming their use of 8 year contracts). Why are they putting off the income till next year (you can have him now but let's put the transfer in 24/25 accounts), makes no sense unless it benefits them (or Newcastle pushing the spending back to the next transfer window)

This is what I meant about treating expenditure and income equally otherwise it creates an imbalance. I would not be surprised if this deal allows both clubs to get around FFP somehow but I'm not an accountant.

Where it is actually offset is that the 35m income for selling a player will be offset by the players book value at the point of sale, so profit will actually be less than the amount they officially got

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #583 on: August 23, 2023, 10:20:43 am »
Hoping for a Luton miracle.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #584 on: August 23, 2023, 10:35:56 am »
As mentioned above; "Chelsea have landed a shirt sponsor in a deal worth £40m-per-season with American company Infinite Athlete".

So who are Infinite Athlete?

Looking at their website:

"Infinite Athlete was established in 2023, after the merger of Tempus Ex Machina and Biocore, LLC, to bring together the best minds and technologies under one banner."

So no real mission or goals other than to bring the best minds and technologies together. Customers don't give a shit about "bringing the best minds together".......what problems are they solving and what value are they delivering to customers?

They have worked with Chelsea (and Wrexham?) before but it appears that Chelsea are their lead customer (or partner) and very little information about anyone else. They are involved in a new proposed golf league (Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy are involved) but in my opinion this is not going to go anywhere......who wants to watch golfers playing in "virtual tournaments" (i.e. simulators).

The market picture for this "exciting venture" looks lame:

Who are their partners:

"Infinite Athlete has partnered with the world’s biggest and best venture capital and private equity leaders in global technology, sports, and entertainment."

So nobody is named and this is just a bullshit statement. They are a VC based startup in my opinion and therefore have no real customers yet.

Their main product appears to be FusionFeed which is simply an API (or gateway) for other companies to access data and produce their own products around this.

https://docs.tempus-ex.com/fusionfeed

Hence they would work with Chelsea, for example, to provide data (realtime data during matches) for other companies to use.

So in summary it looks very much like a startup looking for customers. Yes it may be well financed but a startup won't have £40M per year to spend on sponsoring the likes of Chelsea.

Yes it is possible that some or all of their investors believe that a shirt deal with Chelsea will give the company the visibility it needs to attract customers. However I cannot see anything on their website or social media that shows their product working with any lead customers. Instead all I can see is marketing type talk with no examples, no whitepapers, no benefits to customers etc. If I was a potential customer, I don't see one thing on their website that would attract me in any way to be interested in them. All I see is an API that a couple of software engineers could write in several months or less.

I call Bullshit on the whole thing and it does need to be investigated. Startups do not have money to burn on shirt sponsorships and their main focus is on product development and getting enough customers to start to generate profits. Infinite Athlete don't appear to have any customers and don't have any details about their product other than one elevator pitch which implies a startup that is barely months old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hq8YN0ekME

Nothing in this video tells me what the product does, how to use it and what value it brings.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:53:34 am by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2023, 10:47:33 am »
Unfortunately the fixtures fall kindly for Chelsea now until late october so I expect their mini slump to end
H Luton
H Wimbledon (LC)
H Forest
A Bournemouth
H Villa
A Fulham
A Burnley
H Arsenal  (21st Oct)
H Brentford
They don't have enough goals in them and they have a dodgy GK. Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a few points.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: August 23, 2023, 03:45:47 pm »
I’d be very curious to see the next Chelsea lineup and see if it include Lavia or not. Who do they drop for him?

His preseason was fairly disrupted though, him not even making the bench for a couple of games doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: August 23, 2023, 04:03:50 pm »
How can a company with 15m turnover spend 51m on sponsoring chelsea!

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: August 23, 2023, 04:09:11 pm »
People complain about our owners constantly, but to my knowledge they've never, ever, engaged in the slightest dodgy deal like this to grab a quick, short term buck to balance the books.

Perhaps they wish FSG had.

This is a spurious argument though, it is not like the only two options are FSG being so inflexible or jump straight to dodgy as fuck accounting tricks.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: August 23, 2023, 05:22:58 pm »
Enzo Fernandez has only managed one win against a current Premier League side since signing for Chelsea (Bournemouth last May).

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: August 23, 2023, 08:20:20 pm »
This is a spurious argument though, it is not like the only two options are FSG being so inflexible or jump straight to dodgy as fuck accounting tricks.

See, I hear this argument all the time but nobody seems to be able to tell me who these mysterious perfect owners are that everyone wants.

Can you shed any light on it?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #591 on: August 23, 2023, 08:48:08 pm »
Not saying that their new shirt  deal is in anyway dodgy, ….but….
So much nonsense in this piece (btw I assume Chelsea fail PL P&S in 23/24 even with £40m from shirt):
- Infinite Athlete hasn't raised "hundreds of millions" - a simple cap table (list of current investors with holdings) would clear that up and Clearlake's involvement (if any) - IA (and Tempus) seems to have raised around $40m in total ever. Start-ups aren't shy about telling people what they raise - it helps portray a strong balance sheet. If they had raised it they would have told the world
- A company doesn't generate revenue from an investment - that is capital on the balance sheet not revenue
- A simple set of management accounts would clear up if IA really has "hundreds of millions" of revenue (it doesn't)
- Even if it does (it doesn't), how can this company pay over £40m ($50m) pa? it doesn't have the cash
- A co-investment with Silver Lake (who do not include IA or Tempus on its list of historic or current investments on its own website) in Fanatics is irrelevant to the Associated Party Rules
- IA has no reason to sponsor a stadium or shirt (even if it could afford it - which it can't) as its not a consumer facing business - it sells tech to a tiny number of sports teams around the world

So maybe IA will be permitted to sponsor at £40m pa but none of this background is actually true - so where has it come from. And why?
https://twitter.com/slbsn/status/1694433713952579728?s=61&t=IBM61bzNciP9yNB3C-HiEg

Regarding this telegraph article https://twitter.com/matt_law_dt/status/1694417388068893004?s=61&t=IBM61bzNciP9yNB3C-HiEg
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #592 on: August 23, 2023, 08:54:03 pm »

The rate at which they are going, they might become "Too big to Bail" if things go tits up down the line.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #593 on: August 23, 2023, 10:14:24 pm »
I call Bullshit on the whole thing and it does need to be investigated. Startups do not have money to burn on shirt sponsorships and their main focus is on product development and getting enough customers to start to generate profits. Infinite Athlete don't appear to have any customers and don't have any details about their product other than one elevator pitch which implies a startup that is barely months old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hq8YN0ekME

Nothing in this video tells me what the product does, how to use it and what value it brings.

The only thing I got from that is that they really love Google. ;)

I think I've said it before in this thread when they were mentioned, but nothing about their business idea seems to be in any way new and more importantly they never really mention how and where they'll get their data from to sync it all with another. Let alone what the point of that all might be.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: August 24, 2023, 02:42:17 am »
How Chelsea beat Liverpool to Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia

Simon Johnson, Andy Naylor and more Aug 23, 2023

It was the answer Liverpool head coach Jurgen Klopp did not want to hear.

Moises Caicedo had just sent a text message explaining that, though he appreciated Liverpool’s desire to buy him, he did not want to move to Anfield and was only looking to join Chelsea.

Klopp had reached out to the midfielder for the first time hours earlier after Liverpool agreed a £111million ($141.3m) deal with Brighton to sign the Ecuadorian late on the evening of Thursday, August 10. With the fee element sorted out, Klopp entered the fray by launching a charm offensive with a series of messages making it clear how just much he admired Caicedo as a player and how much he wanted the 21-year-old to play for him.

It is normal for a manager to do this. In fact, many do it before they are supposed to. But Liverpool had played by the rules and the time had come for Klopp to make clear his appreciation for the midfielder’s talent.

But Caicedo’s mind was made up. He wanted the move to Chelsea, and nothing else.

The London club announced they had completed a deal for a club record £115million ($146.3m) the following Monday. To make matters worse for Liverpool, Chelsea then also beat them to the acquisition of Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia a few days later.

It brought an end to an extraordinary transfer saga involving two of the Premier League’s biggest clubs that saw several twists and turns, and left many asking how Chelsea could continue to spend such eye-watering amounts, whether Liverpool’s transfer strategy was flawed and just how more spice will be added to an already intense rivalry. Chelsea’s relationship with Brighton has also been put further to the test.

Here, The Athletic charts how:

Prolonged Caicedo discussions frustrated Brighton and Chelsea
Chelsea were taken by surprise by Liverpool’s bid for the Ecuador midfielder
Liverpool’s move for Caicedo damaged their own chances of buying Lavia
Eden Hazard and Caicedo played a role in Lavia moving to Stamford Bridge
This is the tale of Chelsea and Liverpool’s pursuit of the same midfielders — and how the Londoners came out on top.

Before delving into the main drama, which played out over the best part of a week, some background.

Nobody should be that surprised these two clubs ultimately competed for the same players in the market. This year may not have started out with the plan to completely rebuild their respective midfields, but that is what they have ended up having to do.

Chelsea began their process with the sale of Jorginho to Arsenal in January and followed up in the summer with the departures of N’Golo Kante (Al Ittihad), Mateo Kovacic (Manchester City), Mason Mount (Manchester United) and Ruben Loftus-Cheek (AC Milan).

Liverpool set out to refresh their squad, too. Mount was one of their targets — the manner of their pursuit causing Chelsea some angst — before the England international made clear his preference to move to Old Trafford. However, they were successful in acquiring Alexis Mac Allister from Brighton and RB Leipzig’s Dominik Szoboszlai to operate in advanced midfield positions.

At the resumption of pre-season training in July, a defensive midfielder did not seem to be high on the agenda. Yes, Liverpool were weighing up whether to sign a long-term successor to Fabinho. There had been a gentle inquiry made to Southampton about Lavia’s situation, but it was far from certain they would buy a third midfielder in this window.

That all quickly changed, though, when Fabinho and captain Jordan Henderson were persuaded by the prospect of earning fortunes to swap the Premier League for the Saudi Pro League with Al Ittihad and Al Ettifaq. Klopp had been preparing for the season with the duo on board, but they departed at the end of July. Suddenly, buying a new No 6 became a necessity, especially as neither Thiago nor young defensive midfielder Stefan Bajcetic would be fit for the start of the season as they completed their rehabilitation from long-term injuries.

When it became clear Fabinho was going to be sold, Liverpool’s data department started passing on information about possible replacements. The three names high on the list were Caicedo, Lavia and Aston Villa’s Boubacar Kamara.

Yet even at that stage of the summer, nobody could have predicted that Liverpool and Chelsea would go head to head as much as they did. Indeed, there was a general assumption in the weeks which followed that the spoils were going to be shared — that Chelsea would end up with Caicedo and Liverpool would secure Lavia.

One key difference was Chelsea wanted both midfielders, even after the purchase of Lesley Ugochukwu from Rennes for €27.5million (£23.5m; $29.8m) at the start of August. Liverpool only required one of them.

Chelsea’s data team showed how the duo could complement each other as a No 6 combination. Primarily, they saw Lavia’s strengths as a midfielder in possession, and Caicedo’s forte out of possession.

Chelsea have admired Lavia for a long time. They tried to sign him on deadline day 12 months earlier and had monitored his progress thereafter.

But Caicedo was always their first choice. They had a £55million bid turned down by Brighton in January and a decision was then taken to focus all their efforts on Benfica’s Enzo Fernandez, for whom negotiations had already begun. Both men were at the top of Chelsea’s list for their respective midfield roles, Fernandez providing the creative spark and Caicedo the disruptive energy.

Given the huge costs involved, only one could arrive in January. The other would be targeted in the summer. The consensus in the Chelsea boardroom was that they would face more competition for Fernandez if they waited until the end of the season than Caicedo, with Argentina’s World Cup winner bought for £106million ($134.9m) on January 31.

Their gamble paid off because Arsenal’s pursuit of Caicedo at the start of the year ended in failure and they then switched all their focus to buying Declan Rice, who ended up joining Mikel Arteta’s side for £100million plus £5million in add-ons ($127.3m plus $6.4m) on July 15. Chelsea liked Rice, too, but did not want to be drawn into a bidding war with Arsenal, especially after discovering his preference was to go to Emirates Stadium.

Rice’s sale was a key part of what followed because his price set a valuation.

It eclipsed what Real Madrid had committed to paying — more than €100million (£86m; $107m) — for Jude Bellingham a month earlier. Chelsea, along with many clubs, had an interest in Bellingham, too, but it did not progress far. The hierarchy believed he would be choosing between Manchester City and Real Madrid.

By July, Liverpool had already dismissed the notion of making an attempt for Caicedo because they were aware Chelsea had been working on a deal since January and felt it was too far advanced for anyone to rival them.

During an interview with TC Deportes on July 11, Caicedo effectively confirmed where he wanted to go.

When asked if he wanted to join Chelsea, he replied: “It’s a big team, that’s true. A very historic team that I can’t say no (to joining) because it’s a very big, historic, beautiful team. The city as well is beautiful. It’s got everything beautiful.”

Chelsea and Liverpool had offers for their respective targets rejected during July.

Chelsea made four bids for Caicedo, the last of which was worth £80million (£75m plus £5m in add-ons) and turned down instantly by email.

Brighton were frustrated by the sums Chelsea were offering. After rejecting Arsenal’s £80million offer in January, Caicedo signed a new deal in March and the club went on to qualify for the Europa League for the first time in their history. They also used Arsenal’s valuation of Rice as another benchmark. So when Chelsea started out at £60million, then £65million, then £70million, Brighton gave the proposals short shrift. They wanted at least £100million.

Conversely, Chelsea were under the impression that, on signing his contract extension, Caicedo had a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ with Brighton that he could leave in the summer instead. This is why they remained confident about signing him while Brighton stalled for as long as possible, waiting for other clubs to enter the fray and spark an auction.

Chelsea were aware of the criticism over not offering Brighton £100million earlier. But they were not given the impression by Brighton that they would sell at that price, either. They felt Brighton were always going to prolong the negotiation and simply keep asking for more. Indeed, come August, Chelsea suspected their valuation had increased again to £120million.

The fact both teams were in the United States for a pre-season tour and played each other on July 23 in Philadelphia was regarded, at least by those on the outside looking in, as an ideal opportunity for talks to take place and agreement reached. Some conversations took place that day, but nothing came of them.

Even so, Chelsea remained extremely confident at the end of the tour that a compromise over a fee would eventually be struck. One source close to the owners, who spoke anonymously to The Athletic to protect relationships, said at the time: “We know what will happen; we just play the usual dance with Brighton and then we get the player.”

There were plenty of precedents along those lines. In 2022, after a period of negotiation, Chelsea signed Marc Cucurella from Brighton for an initial £56million. They also paid £21.5million in compensation for head coach Graham Potter (sacked in April) and his backroom staff. Chelsea had at least one offer for Robert Sanchez rejected by Brighton before a fee in the region of £25million ($31.7m) was agreed between the two clubs earlier this month.

Key to Chelsea’s chances of securing Caicedo, though, was Brighton’s former head of recruitment turned Chelsea co-sporting director Paul Winstanley.

He had played a major role in Brighton signing the player from Independiente del Valle in 2021. The close bond forged back then was going to help Chelsea convince the player to join them. Reports later on that the owners had to step in to salvage negotiations with Winstanley being stood down were dismissed.

Yet there was another complication.

Brighton were trying to include Chelsea’s highly rated defender Levi Colwill, who spent last season on loan at the Amex Stadium, as part of any deal for Caicedo. Or, indeed, to buy the centre-half permanently. At least one offer of £30million was turned down, with Chelsea insisting the centre-back was not for sale. It took a while for Brighton to take no for an answer and there was a lot of uncertainty over Colwill’s future until he agreed a new six-year contract to stay at Stamford Bridge in August.

Lavia’s situation was not quite as fraught… yet.

After being relegated to the Championship, Southampton were in a slightly weaker bargaining position. However, they still set out to secure £50million ($63.7m) for the 19-year-old’s services. This was partly due to Manchester City, from whom Southampton signed Lavia for £10.5million in 2022, possessing a sell-on clause worth 20 per cent of any profit made on his next transfer.

Having considered the merits of more experienced options, Liverpool decided to push ahead with trying to secure Lavia to fill their No 6 void. They felt the price tag was inflated — Liverpool were not the only interested club to come to that conclusion — given the teenager had played just 36 senior games in his career. The hope was Southampton would cave at some point and accept a lower sum.

Liverpool’s first bid of around £37million was rejected on July 25. A week later they went back with £41million, and then followed that up with a package rising to £46million — again without success.

With Southampton refusing to budge, Liverpool took some time to consider their next move and made various approaches to assess what other options were available and at what price.

Liverpool enjoy a good rapport with Brighton. Not only had discussions for Mac Allister gone smoothly, but versatile veteran James Milner had left on a free transfer for the south coast club in June. With Brighton growing impatient with Chelsea, it was made clear to Liverpool that there was a deal to be done on Caicedo. The Ecuador international was regarded by Liverpool as a more complete player than Lavia. He was more experienced and ready to go straight into the team. Plus the possibility of reuniting him with Mac Allister was very appealing.

The unexpected £52million earned from the sales of Henderson and Fabinho to Saudi Arabia gave Liverpool the funds to attempt a club-record signing of Caicedo. Now the fun and games would truly begin.

By the time Liverpool’s interest was formalised with a bid, Caicedo had cleared his locker at Brighton and already spent days in a London hotel room anxiously waiting for news of whether a move was going to materialise.

Though he had not officially handed in a transfer request, his actions were the clearest signal sent to Brighton yet that he wanted to leave. But the fact he was in London and had made it clear Chelsea was in his thinking did not put Liverpool off. They felt there was enough encouragement to go ahead.

By this stage, intrigue had increased amid suggestions a mystery club had also declared an interest in signing him. The identity of the third club was never confirmed, but Bayern Munich did like Caicedo even if it was not realistic for them to sign him and Harry Kane in the same window. Prising the striker from Tottenham was always their main focus.

Liverpool had one bid rejected earlier in the week beginning August 7 before they pushed ahead with the club-record £111million attempt.

Matters effectively came to a head after Brighton told Chelsea and Liverpool they had 24 hours to make their best offer. It was not the same period, so it was not a race conducted to a specific time of the day. But once the two periods had ended, Brighton chose the bid closest to where they wanted it to be — Chelsea’s offer at that stage was £80million plus add-ons to take it up to around £100million, so Liverpool’s held sway.

The news broke in the early hours of August 11 that Liverpool had agreed terms with Brighton and a medical was scheduled for later the same day. No U-turn was expected.

Brighton felt Liverpool had simply outmanoeuvred Chelsea. One source, speaking anonymously to The Athletic to protect relationships, suggested Chelsea had been caught out for being too complacent — for thinking they had the player all along and did not expect any competition, even from Liverpool at the 11th hour.

Conversely, one Chelsea source revealed that the initial reaction within the club to Liverpool’s offer was that it was “insane”. Another indicated “surprise”. But at no stage was there any panic. They remained confident. While television and radio stations spoke about the development at length on Friday morning, when Klopp confirmed a fee had been agreed in his pre-match press conference, Chelsea simply reassessed what they had to do next.

Caicedo’s decision to tell Liverpool that morning that he wanted Chelsea over them was pivotal. He never even wanted to discuss personal terms with Liverpool. Brighton were aware of his stance, too. They intended to stick to their valuation of the player but they had no choice but to wait for Chelsea’s next move.

Talks duly resumed and a deal was agreed in principle on the Friday, with the broad framework of a £115million transfer discussed. But there was no desire to rush things. Chelsea’s opening Premier League game was against Liverpool on the following Sunday and there was a reluctance to antagonise Liverpool by announcing a deal before then. There were rumours Caicedo could be unveiled during the game but that was never a possibility. The plan was to finalise things after the fixture. Indeed, that weekend was spent finalising the details and paperwork associated with a transaction of this magnitude.

Brighton could not say no to the terms Chelsea eventually delivered: £100million, plus another £15million in very achievable add-ons and a sizeable sell-on percentage.

Senior sources at Chelsea are under the impression the salary was not a decisive factor behind Caicedo’s choice and that he would have earned around the same, if not more, at Liverpool even if the Merseyside club would not have offered an eight-year contract.

It was not just about financial gain for Caicedo. Living in London, where there is an established Ecuadorian community, appealed to the player. In his unveiling video, a picture also emerged of Caicedo with his mother wearing a Chelsea shirt back in Ecuador a few years ago — further indication this was always a decision based on what was in his heart and head.

A day after Caicedo was officially announced as a Chelsea player, Brighton chief executive Paul Barber expressed his surprise at how things turned out on radio station talkSPORT. He said: “Liverpool is a terrific football club and for any player to have the chance to play at Liverpool, at Anfield, you would imagine they would be running up the M6 and M62 (two of the motorways in England), but it wasn’t to be.

“Moises and his advisors decided for whatever reason that London was their preferred destination for a move, and ultimately Chelsea. In that situation, we’re in a slightly difficult position because we’ve negotiated a deal. We spent many days, working with Liverpool to get a deal agreed and they couldn’t have done any more. They were superb, professional throughout.

“We started working with Chelsea as soon as we realised that Liverpool were not able to proceed. At that point, we’ve got to protect our own interests, and our interests are our player and making sure that we realise the value for the player we were expecting.

“We’ve done that and Moises now goes on to the next stage of his career.”

Brighton certainly celebrated securing such a good fee and Chelsea were happy to sign a player they had coveted all along. But the length of time it took to reach a successful conclusion left relations between the two clubs a little cooler.

Yet the manner in which the transfer had been resolved left Liverpool in a far more precarious position.

By switching all their attention to Caicedo and demonstrating they had significant money to spend after weeks of haggling with Southampton, they had inadvertently sent a bad signal out to Lavia. Up to then, Anfield had appeared to be his most likely destination. Now that was very much in doubt.

Chelsea had always boasted one ace up their sleeves in the presence of Joe Shields, who started work as co-director of recruitment and talent at Stamford Bridge in January. Shields had a good bond with Lavia and his family from his time working at Manchester City and Southampton.

However, Chelsea’s move to buy Tyler Adams from Leeds had appeared to indicate they had conceded Liverpool were favourites for Lavia. Their decision to pull out of that move, with concerns about when the USMNT midfielder would return from an injury suffered in March, came before Liverpool’s bid for Caicedo was lodged.

It was Liverpool’s move for Caicedo that gave Chelsea the advantage in the Lavia pursuit. As their confidence grew over Caicedo on the Friday, so did the Londoners’ belief that they could land Lavia as well.

Southampton were delighted to have two big clubs trying to sign the teenager. Just like Brighton, they had wanted to wait for other big deals to be concluded, including that of Caicedo, in the hope it would improve their chances of securing more money for Lavia. It meant they could raise the kind of fee they had been looking for from day one. In a repeat of the Caicedo affair, Liverpool soon discovered Lavia preferred a move to Chelsea and, for a second time, had to concede defeat.

Ironically, Caicedo played a role in persuading the Belgian to join. With Chelsea already in the process of discussing terms with Southampton, Caicedo messaged Lavia making it clear how much he wanted them to play together.

Chelsea also used Caicedo’s purchase as part of their pitch. They argued the signing provided more evidence of the ambitious project upon which they had embarked. They pointed to the youth of their midfield with Fernandez (22), Caicedo (21) and Ugochukwu (19). Lavia, also 19, would not be made to feel like the youngster in the group, but would be seen on an equal footing with the chance to become a leader.

Then there was also a reassuring conversation with his compatriot Eden Hazard, who starred for Chelsea between 2012 and 2019. Just hearing what being at Chelsea and living near London was like from such an inspirational figure was reassuring even if Lavia’s heart was already set on a move to Stamford Bridge. This took place before a chat between the two was put on the Chelsea app after his official unveiling.

On the same day Caicedo’s arrival was announced, The Athletic revealed Lavia was also going to Chelsea. The fee was £53million plus another £5million in add-ons. Discussions between the two clubs went smoothly and were concluded in a day. Unlike with Caicedo, the talks took place after Chelsea had played Liverpool so there was no awkward timing to endure.

Chelsea feel like they have made a major statement by getting the pair. Even Caicedo’s awkward debut as a substitute in the 3-1 defeat to West Ham on Sunday, when he gave away a late penalty, has not tempered the excitement about what the team will now look like in midfield for years to come.

Liverpool’s urgent search for an alternative holding midfielder saw them move swiftly to sign 30-year-old Japan international Wataru Endo from Stuttgart for £16.2million ($20.6m). Reflecting on a “tricky week”, Klopp said: “When you have a problem, you can either stick to the problem or find a solution.

“I am more than happy to have this solution.”

The watching world waits to discover which club — Chelsea, Liverpool, or even Brighton or Southampton — reaps the true benefits of a frenetic summer window.

https://theathletic.com/4771295/2023/08/23/chelsea-liverpool-caicedo-lavia/

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #595 on: August 24, 2023, 04:12:29 am »
Not a great article: waffle, waffle, waffle, speculation dressed up as fact, common assumptions presented as fact, hardly any quotes, no real inside information from the key players, dramatising ordinary things as sensational.... And a clickbait, misleading title. The player preferring to go to them is not really evidence of ingenious manoeuvring and strategy on their part

About standard for The Athletic these days
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #596 on: August 24, 2023, 05:00:03 am »
The only thing I got from that is that they really love Google. ;)

I think I've said it before in this thread when they were mentioned, but nothing about their business idea seems to be in any way new and more importantly they never really mention how and where they'll get their data from to sync it all with another. Let alone what the point of that all might be.

They’ll sell the debt in 10 years I am sure of it. Else administration beckons.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: August 24, 2023, 06:49:59 am »
Not a great article: waffle, waffle, waffle, speculation dressed up as fact, common assumptions presented as fact, hardly any quotes, no real inside information from the key players, dramatising ordinary things as sensational.... And a clickbait, misleading title. The player preferring to go to them is not really evidence of ingenious manoeuvring and strategy on their part

About standard for The Athletic these days

And of course, the huge signing-on fees, the huge wages and the huge agent fees are never mentioned. Anyway, only Chelsea need these media stories how they are "a big and historic club" ;D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: August 24, 2023, 07:05:07 am »
See, I hear this argument all the time but nobody seems to be able to tell me who these mysterious perfect owners are that everyone wants.

Can you shed any light on it?

I'd be fine with an FSG with a willingness to be flexible enough to put their hands in their own pockets if every once in a while we desperately needed a signing (definitely shouldn't be expected every season or anything like that) or for them to pay for the infrastructure improvements that do not count against FFP and are also increasing the value of their asset too.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: August 24, 2023, 08:17:08 am »
https://twitter.com/SwedishRumble/status/1694468053340237989?s=20

They are way above the limit as I stated a few weeks ago (you don’t need to be a finance expert to know that) but they signed Caicedo and Lavia :D