Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 397967 times)

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #8520 on: May 13, 2024, 09:31:48 am »
GD isn't irrelevant. If City were to draw on the final City would have to three plus whatever Arsenal scores.
Arsenal play Everton
CIty play West Ham
If Arsenal only need to beat Everton,  I see them winning comfortably. Ultimately,  the Spurs game is the decider.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 09:37:20 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8521 on: May 13, 2024, 09:34:26 am »
Lets be honest , Spurs will totally surrender tomorrow. Just hope Liverpool win tonight to increase their shame tomorrow.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #8522 on: May 13, 2024, 10:34:14 am »
Sorry but there's people here who think Spurs, who have lost 4 of their last 6 with their only wins against Forest and Burnley, are going to beat City tomorrow? Where's the confidence coming from?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8523 on: May 13, 2024, 10:41:56 am »
If Arsenal only need to beat Everton,  I see them winning comfortably. Ultimately,  the Spurs game is the decider.

If City draw with Spurs both City and Arsenal will be on 86 points with Arsenal having an advantage of +3 on City.
So Arsenal would be the favourites but City could still batter West Ham with Everton being harder to break down.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8524 on: May 13, 2024, 10:42:52 am »
Sorry but there's people here who think Spurs, who have lost 4 of their last 6 with their only wins against Forest and Burnley, are going to beat City tomorrow? Where's the confidence coming from?

They are in bad form but they are still 5th in the league, at home.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #8525 on: May 13, 2024, 10:42:58 am »

Because Spurs have good players and good players can do good things even if their fans won't want them to.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #8526 on: May 13, 2024, 10:44:50 am »
They are in bad form but they are still 5th in the league, at home.

And have lost to Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal and us in the last few weeks with their only wins against a team already relegated and a team in 17th. Bad form is bad form when you're playing a team who have 14 wins and 3 draws since the turn of the year. I just don't see them winning.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #8527 on: May 13, 2024, 10:46:30 am »
Because Spurs have good players and good players can do good things even if their fans won't want them to.

They have 7 wins, 6 losses and 3 draws since the turn of the year. They're early season form has got them a lot higher than where they actually should be.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8528 on: May 13, 2024, 10:47:28 am »
If City draw with Spurs both City and Arsenal will be on 86 points with Arsenal having an advantage of +3 on City.
So Arsenal would be the favourites but City could still batter West Ham with Everton being harder to break down.

Moyes last game as their most successful manager since the previous millennium. I know it's away from home but they'll try not send him off with an embarrassing result.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8529 on: May 13, 2024, 10:55:17 am »
They've been great, but they do cheat on the pitch. Constant dives, feigning injuries (including head injuries) to break up play, mid-game coaching sessions when the "injured" player is on the ground, Arteta always on the touchline not the technical area, timewasting, etc. All those things are against the rules but it's not being enforced by the refs properly.

I've mentioned before. I think a lot of other teams will mimic this next season. Many not as effectively, but it will reel in the advantage Arsenal have gained.
Being interesting to see if our new manager tries to. I assume he will be briefed on the reasons we have fallen behind , and this is a significant 'advantage' Arsenal have found.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8530 on: May 13, 2024, 10:58:41 am »
No one sane is saying you should have just won like it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. Bit of the season ends with you 2 behind City can you honestly say you wi t look back wishing you’d at least shown some ambition to try and win the game? Or (and I guess it’s fair) woukd you look at those dropped points at home to lesser sides as being more crucial?

As for Jota - I posted after that recent Havertz pen and no one replied. Fairly sure Jota was clipped by the keeper rather than engineering contact himself. So different incidents. Then again look at the grief we got for getting a drop ball. I see Tierney did that again randomly yesterday by the way. But no uproar because United were too shit to take advantage.

I posted earlier, i'll look at the points dropped in the home games, that's where i feel we now need to improve. We shouldn't be beating City & Liverpool at home and then dropping points at home to all of Fulham, West Ham, Villa & Spurs.

I don't like the 'exaggerated fall' side of things, i've stated that before. I just take a bit of umbrage at the hollier than thou stuff that gets posted, i seen Gakpo go down easily the other game looking for a penalty for instance. Unfortunately it's a big part of the game now, and i'm uncomfortable with my own players doing it. 

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8531 on: May 13, 2024, 11:13:01 am »
Arsenal winning by 4 or 5 clear goals isn't unrealistic, so City would need to win by 7 or 8 clear goals?

Remember that they'd have to deal with the pressure of it not being in their hands.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8532 on: May 13, 2024, 11:16:29 am »
Arsenal winning by 4 or 5 clear goals isn't unrealistic, so City would need to win by 7 or 8 clear goals?

Remember that they'd have to deal with the pressure of it not being in their hands.

Few brown envelopes here and there. You’d be amazed what could be arranged. :D

Didn’t stuff like that happen in Spain and/or Italy quite regularly back in the day? Fairly sure owners of one club woukd offer bonuses to players from another club who were coming up against their title rivals.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8533 on: May 13, 2024, 11:19:26 am »
draw away at city is a point gained, draw at home to fulham (even away at Chelsea ) are points dropped. Weird that this needs explaining.

I’m partly on the wind up but what you say depends on the time of the season surely. Say you went to City on the last day of the season, two points behind (extreme example I know) and drew, you’re not going to see it as a point gained. If you went there on the opening day a point would feel great.

We drew 2-2 with them around Easter in 21/22. At that point we were a couple of points behind. Consensus before the game was we needed the win. After the game, emotions were a bit more mixed as we’d been behind twice, and they had a chance in the last minute so we talked ourselves into it being an ok point that kept us in the mix. Turns out it wasn’t quite enough.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8534 on: May 13, 2024, 11:20:34 am »
Few brown envelopes here and there. You’d be amazed what could be arranged. :D

Didn’t stuff like that happen in Spain and/or Italy quite regularly back in the day? Fairly sure owners of one club woukd offer bonuses to players from another club who were coming up against their title rivals.
It happened in France, not exactly the same scenario but Marseille's owner offered Valencienne's players dosh to not try hard in a title decider so as to make their CL final (which they won) easier.

They got relegated and their owner was jailed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 11:27:50 am by MonsLibpool »

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8535 on: May 13, 2024, 11:24:12 am »
If you want to wind them up, ask how badly they want to see a Spurs win :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8536 on: May 13, 2024, 11:31:00 am »
If you want to wind them up, ask how badly they want to see a Spurs win :)

A lot more than Spurs fans do!

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8537 on: May 13, 2024, 11:33:28 am »
I’m partly on the wind up but what you say depends on the time of the season surely. Say you went to City on the last day of the season, two points behind (extreme example I know) and drew, you’re not going to see it as a point gained. If you went there on the opening day a point would feel great.

We drew 2-2 with them around Easter in 21/22. At that point we were a couple of points behind. Consensus before the game was we needed the win. After the game, emotions were a bit more mixed as we’d been behind twice, and they had a chance in the last minute so we talked ourselves into it being an ok point that kept us in the mix. Turns out it wasn’t quite enough.

Obviously last game of the season it would be different. Imagine going to anfield in 1989 (Liverpool then were as good as city now, without cheating) and settling for a 0-0.

The draw at city put the title in our hands but we lost to villa. That was the game we surrendered our fate. Although 16-1-1 in our second half of the season would be incredible so can’t complain, we have to remind ourselves that we are up against a corrupt winning machine and still be proud of our efforts.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8538 on: May 13, 2024, 11:34:32 am »
It happened in France, not exactly the same scenario but Marseille's owner offered Valencienne's players dosh to not try hard in a title decider so as to make their CL final (which they won) easier.

They got relegated and their owner was jailed.

City will beat west ham 8-0 and 2 weeks later  Moysie is managing in the UAE . The ref will be there too.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8539 on: May 13, 2024, 11:37:56 am »
Moyes last game as their most successful manager since the previous millennium. I know it's away from home but they'll try not send him off with an embarrassing result.

Their last home game was their send off. Next weekends game is an inconvenience. One I can't imagine too many of their players are looking forward to given the opposition.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8540 on: May 13, 2024, 11:43:40 am »
If you want to wind them up, ask how badly they want to see a Spurs win :).

They don't need winding up. They're all in for Spurs beating Man City. And who could blame them.

https://talksport.com/football/1864549/arsenal-tottenham-kai-havertz-man-city/
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8541 on: May 13, 2024, 11:49:14 am »

Abu Dhabi seem to shit themselves at Spurs for some reason. Prior to the FA Cup game in January, they'd played at Spurs Stadium 5 times, losing all 5 and scoring 0 goals.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #8542 on: May 13, 2024, 11:53:09 am »
Abu Dhabi seem to shit themselves at Spurs for some reason. Prior to the FA Cup game in January, they'd played at Spurs Stadium 5 times, losing all 5 and scoring 0 goals.

OK those are some decent stats to give Arsenal fans hope. We've been here before though haven't we? Hoping for United and Everton to take points off City only to be 1 down with 10 minutes each time.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #8543 on: May 13, 2024, 11:56:51 am »
draw away at city is a point gained, draw at home to fulham (even away at Chelsea ) are points dropped. Weird that this needs explaining.

City can say absolutely 100% the same. Pep was ECSTATIC that Arsenal came and settled for a draw when City at that moment were ripe for the taking. You might have lost, but if you don't take risks trying to win important games then you guarantee not winning any important trophies.

Using your paraphrased words: "draw at home to Arsenal is a point gained,  dropped points to Spurs (even Chelsea ) are points dropped. Weird that this needs explaining."
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8544 on: May 13, 2024, 12:02:33 pm »
City can say absolutely 100% the same. Pep was ECSTATIC that Arsenal came and settled for a draw when City at that moment were ripe for the taking. You might have lost, but if you don't take risks trying to win important games then you guarantee not winning any important trophies.

Using your paraphrased words: "draw at home to Arsenal is a point gained,  dropped points to Spurs (even Chelsea ) are points dropped. Weird that this needs explaining."

I think at the time they felt it was 2 points dropped because they were at home. I think Liverpool went top that weekend as well so at that time that result hurt city most. Unfortunately weve lost a game since , liverpool have lost a couple and the cheats have been perfect otherwise that draw would’ve cost them the title. Small Margins.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8545 on: May 13, 2024, 12:03:26 pm »
OK those are some decent stats to give Arsenal fans hope. We've been here before though haven't we? Hoping for United and Everton to take points off City only to be 1 down with 10 minutes each time.

Fully expect a 3-0 by half time

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8546 on: May 13, 2024, 12:04:50 pm »

They'll take hope from those stats no doubt, but Spurs were a far better team than they are this season. They're absolutely shite  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8547 on: May 13, 2024, 12:12:54 pm »
Obviously last game of the season it would be different. Imagine going to anfield in 1989 (Liverpool then were as good as city now, without cheating) and settling for a 0-0.

The draw at city put the title in our hands but we lost to villa. That was the game we surrendered our fate. Although 16-1-1 in our second half of the season would be incredible so can’t complain, we have to remind ourselves that we are up against a corrupt winning machine and still be proud of our efforts.

I walked into that one. Even back then you were scoring dodgy set piece goals that probably shouldn’t have stood.

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #8548 on: May 13, 2024, 12:14:58 pm »
I think at the time they felt it was 2 points dropped because they were at home. I think Liverpool went top that weekend as well so at that time that result hurt city most. Unfortunately weve lost a game since , liverpool have lost a couple and the cheats have been perfect otherwise that draw would’ve cost them the title. Small Margins.

Nobody felt that was two points dropped for City. Quite the opposite, most of us felt that City were favourites for the title after that game. As you can probably tell, I certainly did with full conviction.  :(

If you don't put City away when you've got the chance they hunt you down and crush you. Lived in experience for us pool fans. Everyone expected Arsenal and Liverpool to drop points after that draw and that's exactly what happened. You didn't create the buffer you needed over City.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8549 on: May 13, 2024, 12:15:09 pm »

I don't like the 'exaggerated fall' side of things, i've stated that before.
I just take a bit of umbrage at the hollier than thou stuff that gets posted, i seen Gakpo go down easily the other game looking for a penalty for instance. Unfortunately it's a big part of the game now, and i'm uncomfortable with my own players doing it.
Because that's definitely all your players do...

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8550 on: May 13, 2024, 12:17:02 pm »
Because that's definitely all your players do...

Just our players??

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #8551 on: May 13, 2024, 12:18:27 pm »
They'll take hope from those stats no doubt, but Spurs were a far better team than they are this season. They're absolutely shite  ;D

Oh of course. I think here's more hope of Everton taking points off Arsenal this weekend looking at the form books than there is from either Spurs or West Ham taking points off City

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8552 on: May 13, 2024, 12:23:34 pm »
Just our players??
Peabee said it best.

They've been great, but they do cheat on the pitch. Constant dives, feigning injuries (including head injuries) to break up play, mid-game coaching sessions when the "injured" player is on the ground, Arteta always on the touchline not the technical area, timewasting, etc. All those things are against the rules but it's not being enforced by the refs properly.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8553 on: May 13, 2024, 12:25:18 pm »
One things for sure, Arsenal fans will all have their Liverpool scarves on tonight.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8554 on: May 13, 2024, 12:32:11 pm »
Lets be honest , Spurs will totally surrender tomorrow. Just hope Liverpool win tonight to increase their shame tomorrow.

Spurs where on the beach weeks ago. I don't even think they all that bothered with champions league football from their displays the last few weeks. Unfortunately for Arsenal being reliant on Spurs to give two shits about the match is like us hoping Everton put in a shift against 115 charges in seasons gone by when we had a chance of winning. It's not going to happen.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8555 on: May 13, 2024, 12:33:22 pm »
Nobody felt that was two points dropped for City. Quite the opposite, most of us felt that City were favourites for the title after that game. As you can probably tell, I certainly did with full conviction.  :(

If you don't put City away when you've got the chance they hunt you down and crush you. Lived in experience for us pool fans. Everyone expected Arsenal and Liverpool to drop points after that draw and that's exactly what happened. You didn't create the buffer you needed over City.

We still got 4/6 against them and stopped them scoring both games. Youd take that every season, unfortunately we lost 5 times elsewhere, you wont win the title losing 5 times with these cheats around.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8556 on: May 13, 2024, 12:42:25 pm »

Because it'll be just like Liverpool's luck to have City slip up in the run-in the one time they're not up against Liverpool
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8557 on: May 13, 2024, 12:44:07 pm »
Peabee said it best.

And all these elements are Arsenal exclusive?

Quote from: BigCDump
link=topic=354527.msg19446881#msg19446881 date=1715598898

We know you thought the draw was terminal for Arsenal and that City would then go on to get past Arsenal easy (which hasn't happened). However, are you sure you thought City were favourites ahead of Liverpool with full conviction? You had us finishing a distant 3rd after all?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 12:49:20 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #8558 on: May 13, 2024, 12:50:19 pm »
whatever happens...ive underestimated this Arsenal team.  Didnt think they could pull off the amount of wins they have since the City game. Their form since 2024 is insanely good in the league and would deservedly be winners if it turns out that way.

Food for thought for us now going forwards. We have to stay within this mini group at the top or atleast keep separate to the remainder of the pack while our new manager gets upto speed.

City and Arsenal realistically will be going head to head next season too unless there's a very good transfer window by someone
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8559 on: May 13, 2024, 01:01:15 pm »
whatever happens...ive underestimated this Arsenal team.  Didnt think they could pull off the amount of wins they have since the City game. Their form since 2024 is insanely good in the league and would deservedly be winners if it turns out that way.

Food for thought for us now going forwards. We have to stay within this mini group at the top or atleast keep separate to the remainder of the pack while our new manager gets upto speed.

City and Arsenal realistically will be going head to head next season too unless there's a very good transfer window by someone

Only Liverpool have the players to compete with the top 2 next season. If Klopp was still manager you’d fully expect Liverpool to be up there challenging with this being seen as an excellent transition season. Thats where the pressure on Slot is, he wont get a free hit like Arteta because the talent is there, but he deserves a season to learn the league in my opinion.