Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted)  (Read 3230517 times)

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #80600 on: May 15, 2024, 07:09:37 am »
Personally, I think its hard to criticise the defensive side of the midfield because structurally I think our defensive shape is off.

1. The forwards aren't marking it hard for the opposition to play out from the back

Which leads to

2. There are too many gaps in midfield to cover

Which leads to

3. Not enough cover for the defence

But regardless, there isn't enough recovery pace when Mac and Endo gets turned around. So we need more pace with the DM but the forwards have to do more to prevent the opposition playing out from the back.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #80601 on: May 15, 2024, 07:38:05 am »
It's unbelievable that there are no stand DMs who aren't already at a big club.

Rodri? Or a Brazilian lad called Arthur Melo has done will at 6 for Fiorentina this season.

In all seriousness, a brief glimpse around Europe leaves me with a list from the Premier League of:

Conor Gallagher (played 6 around 11 times for Chelsea this season), Palhinha, Danilo and Douglas Luiz.

From La Liga of: Johnny Cardoso and Aleix Garcia

From Serie A of: Tijjani Reijnders

From Bundesliga of:  Amadou Haidara , Angelo Stiller, Atakan Karazor and Aleksandar Pavlovic

From Ligue 1 of: Angel Gomes

From Eredivise of: Joey Veerman, Mats Wieffer, Quinten Timber, Philippe Rommens,  Jerdy Schouten, Loreintz Rosier, Yassin Oukili, Kenneth Taylor and Dirk Proper

From Liga Portugal of: Joao Neves, Orkun Kokcu and Nico Gonzalez

That’s the long list, not all are ideal but all performed well at DM for at least 10 games, with the standouts being:

Johnny Cardoso, Mats Wieffer and Joao Neves with Conor Gallagher as an interesting option if we feel he could be retrained.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 08:30:19 am by mikey_LFC »
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80602 on: May 15, 2024, 07:48:12 am »
I don't disagree, but in the beginning there will be an adjustment period. That is when a player with previously experienced tactics under the same manager can be handy in "directing play" (not sure if that's the best term) on the field. Whether that's for 2-3 games or a month, I don't know, but that can make a difference. 2-3 games may be tolerable, but in a month we can be out of the title run.

I don't know, obviously it's not for me to decide, but I can understand the logic either way.

2 or 3 would surely mean the bulk if not all our transfer business. Klopp only tried to sign one player from Dortmund, Slot pushing for 2 or 3 would be concerning.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80603 on: May 15, 2024, 07:54:43 am »
For me, the DM position is absolutely the number one priority unless Slot thinks Baj is the next Busquets.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #80604 on: May 15, 2024, 08:56:12 am »
Seems lots of chat of us being after Leny Yoro but seems all the big clubs, plus United, are chasing him. 18 year old centre back with only 12 months left on his contract next summer

Not sure the manager would love Leny, Henry might though

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #80605 on: May 15, 2024, 09:07:58 am »
That's the thing do you get a guy like Leny only 18 who has world class potential or good players that fit the team.  I think Real Madrid recently have being doing that.  Vini jr Jude Camavinga.  It works well then the team is already in a strong position.  Where are Liverpool at?  I would say a level behind Man city and Arsenal at the moment.

Online PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #80606 on: May 15, 2024, 10:02:50 am »
Arne Slot can bring Mats Wieffer and Dávid Hancko with him. I'd like both of them, plus a rotation option for Salah, who would be Johan Bakayoko, who from what I've seen, is the real deal. These three Eredivisie signings should put us well in the mix for next season, and any more signing(s) would be a bonus.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80607 on: May 15, 2024, 10:05:50 am »
These three Eredivisie signings should put us well in the mix for next season

Brand new sentence.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #80608 on: May 15, 2024, 10:12:01 am »
I'd be signing Luuk De Jong for a few years, older than we'd usually sign but 27 goals and 15 assists this season in the league is insane, has experience around Europe and knows here from the loan at Newcastle too.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #80609 on: May 15, 2024, 10:19:47 am »
I kind of want to see Bajcetic play 2000+ minutes before we spend €60 million on a new #6.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #80610 on: May 15, 2024, 10:19:59 am »
I'd be signing Luuk De Jong for a few years, older than we'd usually sign but 27 goals and 15 assists this season in the league is insane, has experience around Europe and knows here from the loan at Newcastle too.
He turns 34 in August. No way we should be looking at someone like that and no way we will be.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80611 on: May 15, 2024, 10:30:25 am »
I kind of want to see Bajcetic play 2000+ minutes before we spend €60 million on a new #6.

Is anyone convinced that the DM options available are better than Bajcetic? It’s a risk to rely on him alone because of the injury, but then the signings are risks too. McConnell and Clark are also great talents worth looking at. In my eyes, right wing is the priority and Olise would fit the bill.

The other two premier league players who’ve impressed me in when playing us this season, in positions we could look at, are Antonee Robinson and Murillo.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80612 on: May 15, 2024, 10:33:27 am »
Arne Slot can bring Mats Wieffer and Dávid Hancko with him. I'd like both of them, plus a rotation option for Salah, who would be Johan Bakayoko, who from what I've seen, is the real deal. These three Eredivisie signings should put us well in the mix for next season, and any more signing(s) would be a bonus.

Im still not sold on the idea that three Dutch league signings makes us win the league.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80613 on: May 15, 2024, 10:34:22 am »
Is anyone convinced that the DM options available are better than Bajcetic? It’s a risk to rely on him alone because of the injury, but then the signings are risks too. McConnell and Clark are also great talents worth looking at. In my eyes, right wing is the priority and Olise would fit the bill.

The other two premier league players who’ve impressed me in when playing us this season, in positions we could look at, are Antonee Robinson and Murillo.

If we want a left back then it has to be Maatsen or Ait-Nouri. We are not bargain basementing our way to a league title.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgĺrden Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80614 on: May 15, 2024, 10:34:55 am »
Rodri? Or a Brazilian lad called Arthur Melo has done will at 6 for Fiorentina this season.

In all seriousness, a brief glimpse around Europe leaves me with a list from the Premier League of:

Conor Gallagher (played 6 around 11 times for Chelsea this season), Palhinha, Danilo and Douglas Luiz.

From Bundesliga of:  Amadou Haidara , Angelo Stiller, Atakan Karazor and Aleksandar Pavlovic

From Eredivise of: Joey Veerman, Mats Wieffer, Quinten Timber, Philippe Rommens,  Jerdy Schouten, Loreintz Rosier, Yassin Oukili, Kenneth Taylor and Dirk Proper

That’s the long list, not all are ideal but all performed well at DM for at least 10 games, with the standouts being:

Johnny Cardoso, Mats Wieffer and Joao Neves with Conor Gallagher as an interesting option if we feel he could be retrained.

I think that list very much proves Neils point, those are not particularly inspiring choices, have major drawbacks, and many do not suit our usual transfer structure. To top it off the best of them would cost upwards of Ł50 million

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80615 on: May 15, 2024, 10:37:00 am »
I think that list very much proves Neils point, those are not particularly inspiring choices, have major drawbacks, and many do not suit our usual transfer structure. To top it off the best of them would cost upwards of Ł50 million

Its why i found the dismissing of Declan Rice so crazy last summer. To me, what Arsenal did with Rice is what we would have done in 18-20, which is identified a gap, seen the market was not flush with greatness but got the last brilliant one. Like we did with Virgil.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80616 on: May 15, 2024, 10:39:37 am »
If we want a left back then it has to be Maatsen or Ait-Nouri. We are not bargain basementing our way to a league title.

I don’t think Antonee Robinson would be classed as bargain basement. For one, I don’t think he’d be particularly cheap and secondly he’s be very impressive this year.

Colwill is the other option, and worth saying how impressive Owen Beck looks too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 10:43:28 am by mikey_LFC »

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #80617 on: May 15, 2024, 10:45:06 am »
Its why i found the dismissing of Declan Rice so crazy last summer. To me, what Arsenal did with Rice is what we would have done in 18-20, which is identified a gap, seen the market was not flush with greatness but got the last brilliant one. Like we did with Virgil.

Didn’t you not want Rice last summer ?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #80618 on: May 15, 2024, 10:46:09 am »

From what I’d read, Rice really didn’t want to leave London. Was always meant to be going back to Chelsea until their new ownership took over and completely changed their transfer strategy.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #80619 on: May 15, 2024, 10:49:50 am »
Regarding the list above, there are a few better players out there then the ones listed from each league, players like Zubimendi, Varela and Florentino Luis haven’t been included on there despite being good players who could be of interest to us.

I still think we’re going to have to get creative or we’re going to have to take a flyer on potential. I remember when we signed Gini and he was seen as an offensive, goal scoring midfielder. Then Klopp turned him into an 8 made of granite. If we can’t get creative and fix the issue there, maybe we go for potential and go for someone like Wharton at Palace. He’s young enough and we were going to blow a load of money on Caicedo after a year in the league, we might as well take a chance on someone like him than settle for a steady Eddie from a foreign league.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80620 on: May 15, 2024, 10:57:01 am »
Regarding the list above, there are a few better players out there then the ones listed from each league, players like Zubimendi, Varela and Florentino Luis haven’t been included on there despite being good players who could be of interest to us.

I don’t think they’ve been as impressive this season but they could be options if we see something in them, for sure, particularly Varela given his age.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80621 on: May 15, 2024, 11:00:16 am »
Didn’t you not want Rice last summer ?

I did yeah, but it was quite clear that Arsenal made a move for him early. We should have gone for him in summer 2022.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80622 on: May 15, 2024, 11:01:07 am »
From what I’d read, Rice really didn’t want to leave London. Was always meant to be going back to Chelsea until their new ownership took over and completely changed their transfer strategy.

We hadnt even bid and really we should have gone in for him the season before. Instead we waited for Bellingham which was the single biggest mistake we have done in years.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #80623 on: May 15, 2024, 11:11:14 am »

Unfortunately I think we need to get a very solid and proven DM in. I don't think Bajcetic is ready for the permanent role. He's still learning and it's a position that looks easy at times but it needs experience to do it well. Bajcetic would be a good number 2 (we need 2 good players in every position) but for me he's not ready yet. City have Rodri in the position and there's no doubt he is their key player. Arsenal went for Rice and he has been good. I guess I'm being harsh on Bajcetic as he is a great young player but I do not put him in the same category as Rice or Rodri.........that's the kind of player we need to find.
#JFT97

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80624 on: May 15, 2024, 11:20:45 am »
Unfortunately I think we need to get a very solid and proven DM in. I don't think Bajcetic is ready for the permanent role. He's still learning and it's a position that looks easy at times but it needs experience to do it well. Bajcetic would be a good number 2 (we need 2 good players in every position) but for me he's not ready yet. City have Rodri in the position and there's no doubt he is their key player. Arsenal went for Rice and he has been good. I guess I'm being harsh on Bajcetic as he is a great young player but I do not put him in the same category as Rice or Rodri.........that's the kind of player we need to find.

It’s not too harsh, I think I agree, though it’s hard to say as he’s so young. What I would say is, who out there is guaranteed to be closer to Rice and Rodri than Bajcetic? Can’t think of anyone guaranteed unless you maybe go for a short term option in Kimmich, perhaps.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80625 on: May 15, 2024, 11:21:59 am »
For the record, I think Baj can be our unicorn DM but he would have to be developed into that he isn’t at that level right now. Also, Archie Gray looks special but he is currently at the same level Baj is now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 11:23:49 am by spider-neil »

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80626 on: May 15, 2024, 11:24:39 am »
For the record, I think Baj can be our unicorn DM but he would have to be developed into that he isn’t at that level right now. Also, Archie Gray looks special but he is currently at the same level Baj is now.

Issue is, I think he’s too good to loan out and the only way he develops into a top DM is by playing regularly.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80627 on: May 15, 2024, 11:24:59 am »
With the nerds back at the wheel, I wonder if we "do a Robertson/Jota" and look at some players playing for clubs in the Premier League that we think can make the jump up playing for a bigger club/better side. The likes of Joăo Gomes and Douglas Luiz might be of interest for the number 6 spot.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80628 on: May 15, 2024, 11:30:32 am »
I think we would do well to bring in someone who looks like they could step up to that next level rather than being the finished article. City have ridiculous luxury in terms of spending BUT we do often see them bring in players who take a season to get going, Gvardiol looking like the latest for that. You also have the fact this will be Slots first season so although expectations will be high we do have a little more wiggle room in terms of signings coming in IMO

I love Bajcetic, he’s sublime and I think he could become such a special DM, it’s a shame he isn’t a little more experienced and although theres no good time for it the injury this year came at a terrible time for him

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #80629 on: May 15, 2024, 11:36:21 am »
Personally don’t think any of slots players at present will be coming with him to play for us next season , Ait-Nouri. would be a very good signing for LB from Wolves .

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80630 on: May 15, 2024, 11:47:02 am »
I guess the funny thing with Rice is he's ending up more as an 8/box-to-box mid at Arsenal and probably would have been all year if Partey was available. Different skillet I get, but we'd still likely be on here asking for a 6 if we'd bought him

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80631 on: May 15, 2024, 11:50:44 am »
I guess the funny thing with Rice is he's ending up more as an 8/box-to-box mid at Arsenal and probably would have been all year if Partey was available. Different skillet I get, but we'd still likely be on here asking for a 6 if we'd bought him
Partey is a terrible player to slow to keep up with the play , never mind make a tackle

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #80632 on: May 15, 2024, 11:57:33 am »
Partey is a terrible player to slow to keep up with the play , never mind make a tackle
He's who Arteta has been picking over Rice there, same with Jorginho in their biggest games this year. I imagine they upgrade on those two this summer and Rice stays further forward

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80633 on: May 15, 2024, 12:00:54 pm »

I really don’t think we would. The need for a 6 is only partly about the 6, Mac has actually been very good there this season. The need for a 6 is largely about better athleticism in midfield.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #80634 on: May 15, 2024, 12:01:52 pm »

Not sure. Arsenal are lacking a MacAllister type of midfielder, so I think Arteta has moved Rice forward so that they can get two proper central midfielders into the team at once.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #80635 on: May 15, 2024, 12:02:48 pm »

Surely Adam Wharton and Ugarte have to be on a list as long as that?

Offline Jayo10

• Kopite
« Reply #80636 on: May 15, 2024, 12:02:52 pm »
Can Archie Gray play as a 6?

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80637 on: May 15, 2024, 12:10:32 pm »

I’d take Gomez from Wolves over all of those mentioned, we need to win our duels in midfield and he does that better than just about anyone, 99% percentile for tackles won, he would help with making us  being awful to play against

Baleba is going to be the next big thing so he’d be the ideal candidate out of the players who aren’t at a big club already

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80638 on: May 15, 2024, 12:12:36 pm »
I’d take Gomez from Wolves over all of those mentioned, we need to win our duels in midfield and he does that better than just about anyone, 99% percentile for tackles won, he would help with making us  being awful to play against

Baleba is going to be the next big thing so he’d be the ideal candidate out of the players who aren’t at a big club already

Just have to wonder what insane fee they would want for Baleba. We were linked before the move which begs the question, could we look towards any of the DMs we’ve been previously linked to, Haidara for example
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 12:14:18 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #80639 on: May 15, 2024, 12:15:12 pm »
He's who Arteta has been picking over Rice there, same with Jorginho in their biggest games this year. I imagine they upgrade on those two this summer and Rice stays further forward
I watched him for the full game v  united  , couldn’t believe what I was watching , no chance he was getting a yellow card , when he was no where the player to tackle