0 (0%)
Don Bradman
7 (4.8%)
Michael Schumacher
0 (0%)
Michael Johnson
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author Topic: Who is the greatest Sportsman of all time?  (Read 5465 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Who is the greatest Sportsman of all time?
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2023, 03:49:19 pm »
So the question who is the greatest sportsman of all time seems to have gone to who is the greatest sportsman and personality.

Which is it?

If we're talking about personalities who were sportsmen, it's hard to get past Bob Crisp. A medical case study, so he's a highlight on that. An accomplished travel writer, so he's notable for that alone. The best allied memoirist of WWII, so he's top of a very competitive pile. According to the CinC of the near east (Montgomery's boss), he was the best anti-German fighter he'd ever known, taking on anti-tank guns, German panzers, German bombers. That's top of an ultra-competitive pile with millions of contestants. Climbing Kilimanjaro is on many people's bucket list, seldom ticked off. He climbed it twice in one day. And as a sportsman, he's the only bowler to take 4 wickets in 4 balls (3 in 3 is often a career highlight) twice. And I've posted the match report which noted that he intimidated Bradman into escaping the strike, and later donning additional protection (something he last did against Larwood in the Bodyline series).

Bradman is noted as the best cricketer of all time. But Crisp is noted by those who've heard of him as the most remarkable man ever to have played Test cricket.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2023, 03:50:24 pm »
I’ve not voted on any of these yet. Finding it really hard to pick one definitively, and judging people across sports is obviously so hard.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2023, 04:32:29 pm »
“Straight ahead and below, in the middle distance, lay the square, clean pattern of a desert airfield, its boundaries marked by neat lines of wrecked German and Italian fighter planes, its center littered with shattered tanks from some of which the smoke was rising black into the blue sky.

“On my left the desert stretched away covered with thin-skinned vehicles, but strangely empty of human movement. On my right, and between our two tanks and landing ground, the slope and bottom of the escarpment was crawling with the limp dark figures of men digging slit trenches, putting down mines, clustered around anti-tank and field guns or, unbelievably, cooking a meal. On the other side of the depression the opposite escarpment was full of men, less active than those below, and every now and again I saw a flash of gunfire.

“Neither Tom [the other Honey commander] nor I could tell whether any of the men, vehicles or guns were enemy or friendly. The only positive identification we had were the tanks on the airfield … all the burning ones were British Crusaders.”

Bob Crisp, on the airfield at Sidi Rezegh during Operation Crusader.

Crisp would later hide his tank among other, knocked out Stuarts, to scout the enemy position at length. The Germans eventually realised there was an additional tank among the silhouettes that hadn't been there before, and Crisp would have to retreat as they turned every gun they had on him. Other highlights of that extremely short campaign (before he was hospitalised) included going to a lone German panzer, armed with nothing but a revolver, and ordering its crew to surrender (which they did), taking over a command tank whose crew had never fired their gun before, and leading a charge of outgunned and outnumbered light tanks that stymied a massed panzer attack. His admitted lowlight was ordering his gunner to fire on and knock out an unidentified tank silhouetted against the horizon, only to discover later that it was a British tank.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2023, 04:59:33 pm »
Bo Jackson?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2023, 05:00:56 pm »
Bo Jackson?

I’m sorry, Bo Jackson? Are you for real?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2023, 05:13:29 pm »
Other highlights of that extremely short campaign (before he was hospitalised) included going to a lone German panzer, armed with nothing but a revolver, and ordering its crew to surrender (which they did), taking over a command tank whose crew had never fired their gun before, and leading a charge of outgunned and outnumbered light tanks that stymied a massed panzer attack. His admitted lowlight was ordering his gunner to fire on and knock out an unidentified tank silhouetted against the horizon, only to discover later that it was a British tank.

One postwar day in a London bar, a young man said to Crisp: "You won't remember me, but we have met before." It was a survivor of the British tank that Crisp had crippled. Recalling the horror of that day, Crisp replied: "I wish to hell I could forget you." But the survivor only grinned. "Bloody good shooting . . . You must have had a damn fine gunner."
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2023, 05:29:14 pm »
Correction to my above post. Crisp didn't lead a charge against 70 German panzers, stopping their advance. He, in a single tank, attacked a German column of 70 panzers. The Germans, unable to see very far amidst all the dust, assumed no one would be lunatic enough to attack them with a single tank, and assumed he was part of a coordinated British counter attack, and withdrew. This may have been the command tank that Crisp took over, which had never fired its gun before.

Oh, and Crisp reported seeing the sea on the first day of Operation Crusader, only for his CO to call BS, as the maps showed no British units were anywhere near the sea. As it turned out, Crisp was right, as his troop were well in advance of any other British tanks, and well in advance of what the maps showed.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2023, 05:51:27 pm »
Ali participated in a Global sport, Gretzky played in a sport that has little following outside North America particularly Canada.

I am not sure Boxing is more of a global sport than Ice Hockey. Yes, it is played in more countries but I don't it has the same cultural relevance and impact in those countries.

In Canada, Nordic Countries, Russia, and many Eastern and Central European countries hockey is as important as Soccer are to brazil when it comes to national identity. In the US too, there are parts that are really into Hockey.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2023, 06:06:52 pm »
I am not sure Boxing is more of a global sport than Ice Hockey. Yes, it is played in more countries but I don't it has the same cultural relevance and impact in those countries.

In Canada, Nordic Countries, Russia, and many Eastern and Central European countries hockey is as important as Soccer are to brazil when it comes to national identity. In the US too, there are parts that are really into Hockey.

You’ve only named a few regions where it’s freezing cold though, and even in those regions you have people like Klitschko, Usyk, Lomachenko GGG who are boxing greats, in many Eastern European countries Boxing is nearly as big as Ice Hockey.

You only need two hands to box, don’t think Ice Hockey will ever be as globally relevant as Boxing let alone in the 60’s where Boxing was even bigger.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 06:10:38 pm by Coolie High »

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2023, 06:14:58 pm »
You’ve only named a few regions where it’s freezing cold though, and even in those regions you have people like Klitschko, Usyk, Lomachenko GGG who are boxing greats, in many Eastern European countries Boxing is nearly as big as Ice Hockey.

You only need two hands to box, don’t think Ice Hockey will ever be as globally relevant as Boxing let alone in the 60’s where Boxing was even bigger.

You can have crossovers too. For instance, English cricket fans celebrated Boxing Day in 2010.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2023, 06:55:51 pm »
How about C B Fry? He represented England at both football and cricket and held the world long jump record. He also turned down the throne of Albania!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._B._Fry

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2023, 06:59:00 pm »

That's a lot of land mass but not much population.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2023, 07:20:09 pm »
Haven't voted yet but had to google who the hell Babe Ruth, Wayne Grezeky and Nick Nicalaus were.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2023, 07:24:51 pm »
Haven't voted yet but had to google who the hell Babe Ruth, Wayne Grezeky and Nick Nicalaus were.

Any joy with the last one?

And have you never seen the Goonies or Wayne’s World? :D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2023, 07:36:16 pm »
Any joy with the last one?

And have you never seen the Goonies or Wayne’s World? :D

;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2023, 08:37:59 pm »
How about C B Fry? He represented England at both football and cricket and held the world long jump record. He also turned down the throne of Albania!

I raise you:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Woosnam

Max Woosnam referred to as the 'Greatest British sportsman' in recognition of his achievements. Born in Liverpool. Among his achievements were winning an Olympic gold and silver in tennis at the 1920 Summer Olympics, winning the doubles at Wimbledon, compiling a 147 break in snooker, making a century at Lord's Cricket Ground, captaining the British Davis Cup team, captaining Manchester City F.C. finishing ultimately runners-up for the Football League Championship in 1920–21, and captaining the England national football team.

He once defeated actor and film director Charlie Chaplin at table tennis, playing with a butter knife instead of a bat.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2023, 08:44:55 pm »

Politically dodgy though. In contrast, Crisp actively fought against Hitler, and was anti-Apartheid. Should have won a VC but for Montgomery's enmity.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2023, 09:11:24 pm »

Yeah of course. But for his injury - he was going into the hall of fame in two sports. Sure - the longevity thanks to the injury is less - but he was a freak athelete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Jackson#Personal_life

I mean - Mike Tyson is on there. He was dominant for what - 5 years?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 09:13:36 pm by newterp »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2023, 09:22:18 pm »
Tyson’s a tough one as he was gone for five years during what might have been his peak. Hard to argue that he had the most fear inducing aura of any sportsman ever.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2023, 09:26:11 pm »
Tyson’s a tough one as he was gone for five years during what might have been his peak. Hard to argue that he had the most fear inducing aura of any sportsman ever.

Among boxers, wasn't that Sonny Liston?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2023, 09:26:29 pm »

I remember watching World of Sport on Saturday afternoon and they did this feature on this up and coming fighter from the states - they then showed this lad destroying opponents. He looked scary.

He's admitted though that Ali would have beaten him
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2023, 09:27:21 pm »

:lmao
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2023, 10:02:50 pm »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2023, 10:16:47 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2023, 10:25:12 pm »
Muhammad Ali. Easy.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2023, 09:06:58 am »
Well one thing’s for sure, it’s not someone like Michael Jordan or Tom Brady. Americans are always way too prevalent in these things. These are sports that almost nobody cares about outside the US. The more people that participate in the sport and the more it spans the globe, the more impressive it is if you rise to legendary status within it.

I can only really pass judgement on the ones from my lifetime. Three stand out.

Messi - For rising to the very top of the most popular sport in the world, and staying there for years.

Bolt - Essentially changed the parameters of the sport. There is every other sprinter, and then there’s Bolt.

Federer - Turned his sport into an art form. Plenty of people didn’t actually like watching tennis so much as they liked watching Federer.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2023, 09:29:41 am »
Basketball is quite a global sport really. The best players in the NBA now are often not American.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2023, 09:32:23 am »
We’ve got Bradman on the list but worth considering the greatest bowlers in Warne and Muralitharan, they were unlike anything seen before or since. Or the greatest all rounder of all time, Garfield Sobers?

Also, Lewis Hamilton should be on the list if Schumacher is. Has anyone ever broken a sporting glass ceiling more emphatically? Still the only black driver ever and also potentially the greatest ever.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:35:39 am by mikey_LFC »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2023, 09:35:34 am »
We’ve got Bradman on the list but what about the greatest bowlers in Warne and Muralitharan, they were unlike anything seen before or since. Or the greatest all rounder of all time, Garfield Sobers?

Brad man’s stats are such an outlier that he always shows up well in these sorts of things. Literally almost twice as good as anyone else who has played, it’s pretty mad.

Good shout on Warne and Murali. As much as I used to try and argue otherwise back in the day, I think if you had to just pick one of those two it’s Warne. An incredible competitor and to take that many wickets whilst being in the same team as McGrath and co is incredible too.

You never see him mentioned much, but as another Athletics option what about Michael Johnson? Felt unbeatable for years and his world records stood for a very long time.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2023, 09:37:09 am »
Bradman. Brad. Man. Braaaadd.....man.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2023, 09:39:57 am »
Michael Johnson is a great shout. I don’t buy the argument that once world records fall then the athlete is out the running for this conversation because beating a target that’s set is always easier than extending it. The number of 4 minute miles immediately after Bannister shows this.

I’d go Murali in the debate as he lifted Sri Lankan cricket to a place unheard of before. For such a small country to compete is incredible, relative to the likes of india.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2023, 10:44:33 am »
I'd have Kipchoge on the longlist. Granted he has his super shoes etc - but some of his achievements would've been considered impossible only a few years before.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2023, 11:00:46 am »
Well one thing’s for sure, it’s not someone like Michael Jordan or Tom Brady. Americans are always way too prevalent in these things. These are sports that almost nobody cares about outside the US. The more people that participate in the sport and the more it spans the globe, the more impressive it is if you rise to legendary status within it.

Messi - For rising to the very top of the most popular sport in the world, and staying there for years.

Bolt - Essentially changed the parameters of the sport. There is every other sprinter, and then there’s Bolt.

Federer - Turned his sport into an art form. Plenty of people didn’t actually like watching tennis so much as they liked watching Federer.

Three of my favourites.

Messi played at a level I’d never seen before. Like Federer, his game was an art form. A genius.

Bolt’s world records and Olympic wins are some of the most electrifying moments in sporting memory. Celebrating before the line in a 100m final. Wow.

Federer’s game made was so graceful in an era where he was surrounded by grunters and grafters. He made it look effortless. Nadal and Djokovic have such grit and never say die attitudes which I think has driven them to more success but Federer’s genius around the court is unparalleled in my eyes. If you combined Nadal’s athleticism, Djokovic’s mental strength and Federer’s artistry then I think you might have the perfect tennis player.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2023, 11:19:27 am »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2023, 11:54:20 am »

Agree on Tom Brady, but basketball is one the most participated sports in the world.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2023, 01:23:11 pm »
Agree on Tom Brady, but basketball is one the most participated sports in the world.

I'm not sure about that, I've been a sports nut all my life and Tom Brady is very familiar to me even though I don't watch American Football. I know he's won the Superbowl more than anyone else and did it in his 40's which seems pretty mad. On the other hand I don't have a clue who Michael Jordan is, vaguely relate his name to basketball but that's about it, amongst all my sports mad mates his name has never come up in conversation. So to see him up there with Ali in this list is a little bizarre, I'm like who is this person?

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2023, 02:10:02 pm »
I'm not sure about that, I've been a sports nut all my life and Tom Brady is very familiar to me even though I don't watch American Football. I know he's won the Superbowl more than anyone else and did it in his 40's which seems pretty mad. On the other hand I don't have a clue who Michael Jordan is, vaguely relate his name to basketball but that's about it, amongst all my sports mad mates his name has never come up in conversation. So to see him up there with Ali in this list is a little bizarre, I'm like who is this person?

Jordan is way may more popular than Brady worldwide, it’s not even a contest but aside from that...

It’s partly due to America’s soft power and their media presence where Jordan can get 3-4 times the votes Messi or Pele do on a football forum, with maybe a fair few people voting for him being casual fans of Basketball to say the least, documentaries like ‘The Last Dance’ and him being probably the only Basketball player a lot of people on here know, he was the greatest basketball player of his time but I don’t see how there can be such a disparity between him Pele and Messi when the vast majority of people on here are probably way more familiar with the career and achievements of the latter.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2023, 02:21:23 pm »
:D

Sorry newtwerp, just couldn’t resist a bad pun.

ahh I see. my bad - I know that song too! :lmao

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2023, 02:38:29 pm »
I went with Tiger Woods, but easily could have chosen a few others.

Some of the thinking about Woods is the before and after. Before Woods a lot of golfers could compete at or near to the top and they were far from athletic specimens. Hand eye coordination etc. yes, but Woods ushered in a new era of athleticism into the sport, so that nowadays it is rare to see a top golfer who isn’t in shape, athletically.

In addition to changing that side of the game, Woods boosted the interest in the sport to such a degree that earnings before and after are worlds apart too.

When Woods was at his early peak, there was a large gap between him and the rest. As Woods got older others followed suit and started to catch up, but he changed the game.