Author Topic: Kylian Mbappé. The best there is  (Read 17807 times)

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Re: Kylian Mbappé. The best there is
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2022, 06:03:21 am »
Bret Hart doesn't like this
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2022, 07:50:30 am »
Mbappe being talked about in the same sentence as Maradona
Mbappe being described as a flat track bully when scores against some of the biggest sides out there and has a goal in the world cup final to his name

What a thread

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2022, 10:58:39 am »
Mbappe being talked about in the same sentence as Maradona
Mbappe being described as a flat track bully when scores against some of the biggest sides out there and has a goal in the world cup final to his name

What a thread
;D

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2022, 11:06:33 am »

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2022, 11:19:08 am »
Salah has reached higher heights (world cup excluded) and over a more sustained period for me, maybe not right now but was getting touted as the best in the world less that 12 months ago. Personally think he has always been criminally underappreciated.

Players like Pele (best ever for me) done it over decades consistently. Until Mbappe gets a few more years under him to see where he goes (and gets out of the farmers league) there's no way of knowing whether he will improve or just become another Neymar who had all the potential but never reached where he could/should have. 

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2022, 01:20:43 pm »
Well, he's scored a goal when winning the WC, won 5 French leagues (4 with the team that wins it most years regardless).

But he's only 23, some people thought Michael Owen, that fast paced goalscorer, was the best around at that age, no-one talks about Michael as the best evoer now.

I'd say he's probably the best around at this moment, but as has been said, this time last year it was M

Messi and Ronaldo are battling after the best ever that some people think Diego should have but, for me, Pele has to be comprehensively taken off that pedestal, 3 world cups, with him at the centre of each one, 7 Ballon d'Ors (same as Messi, 2 more than Ronaldo) plus the ordeal of fronting up the erectile disfunction campaign (albeit for money)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:26:06 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2022, 06:56:15 pm »
Heh heh. If there's one thing more reliable than fans underrating their own team's players it's overrating other teams' players
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2022, 07:07:26 pm »
That gets said a lot about Haaland but in fairness to him, his movement and his awareness are phenomenal. It's an interesting one between the 2 of them, could go on to be the 50/50 question in the next few years who you'd rather have.

Easily Mbappe.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2022, 11:50:47 pm »
Mo's better than both of them.
We are Liverpool!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2022, 10:31:01 am »
Until Mbappe does it somewhere other than PSG there will always be doubters. He needs to leave if he wants to cement a real legacy.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2022, 10:45:16 am »
Until Mbappe does it somewhere other than PSG there will always be doubters. He needs to leave if he wants to cement a real legacy.

He did it at Monaco as a 17/18 year old though. Scoring 26 in 44 matches as Monaco won the League and reached the CL semi-final.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2022, 10:51:03 am »
His performances in international tournaments have almost negated the fact that he plays in a farmers league....but if he retires at PSG he's never going to be Messi/Maradona/Ronaldo levels.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2022, 11:39:23 am »
His performances in international tournaments have almost negated the fact that he plays in a farmers league....but if he retires at PSG he's never going to be Messi/Maradona/Ronaldo levels.

This. And it's why his decision not to go to Madrid was utterly bizarre. Screwed us over on the Tchouameni thing too. Absolute shocker.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2022, 11:45:06 am »
This. And it's why his decision not to go to Madrid was utterly bizarre. Screwed us over on the Tchouameni thing too. Absolute shocker.

Reckon Qatar made him an offer he couldn’t refuse to stay in World Cup year? Will he be on the move this summer or has he got himself stuck there for life?

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2022, 11:45:12 am »

It's just another example of how state-owned clubs are a cancer on football. Sure, nobody forced him to stay at PSG against his will. But they kept throwing so much money and power his way that it convinced him to stay in the end.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2022, 01:25:56 pm »
Is it just me, or was peak Thierry Henry superior? He had most of what Mbappe has plus other things.

I also think people putting him above peak, pre-injuries Neymar have forgotten how good Neymar was at Barcelona. Neymar was this good or better.

Obviously Mbappe is really good though, and probably only Messi and De Bruyne compare at the moment.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2022, 01:37:27 pm »
Is it just me, or was peak Thierry Henry superior? He had most of what Mbappe has plus other things.

Of course peak Thierry Henry was superior. I think the fairer question to ask is how they both compared at the same age. At 23 I don't think there is that much difference in ability. Kylian needs to leave PSG if he ever wants to reach or even exceed the level Thierry did though.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2022, 01:42:28 pm »
Henry had more artistry to his game, whereas Mbappe is the more direct of the two.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2022, 01:44:58 pm »
Of course peak Thierry Henry was superior. I think the fairer question to ask is how they both compared at the same age. At 23 I don't think there is that much difference in ability. Kylian needs to leave PSG if he ever wants to reach or even exceed the level Thierry did though.

Behave ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2022, 01:59:07 pm »
Behave ;D

I honestly don't think there was. Mbappe may slightly edge it, but the difference wasn't huge IMO. At 23 Thierry was really starting to make a name for himself at Arsenal in arguably the strongest league in the world.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2022, 02:14:13 pm »
People are assuming that Mbappe is not already close to peaking. He has played a lot of football already, and relies on his pace quite a bit. I am no expert and could be wrong, but I don’t think he will get that much better than he is now.

In that case, I think a comparison with Henry of around 2002-2003 is perfectly reasonable to me.

Edit: in fact I just saw that Mbappe turns 24 in a week: not that young anymore.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2022, 02:23:34 pm »
People are assuming that Mbappe is not already close to peaking. He has played a lot of football already, and relies on his pace quite a bit. I am no expert and could be wrong, but I don’t think he will get that much better than he is now.

He's 23 mate. It's a bit of a presumption to suggest he's already hit his peak or is close to his peak, when really, more than likely, his peak years are still yet to come. As for the number of games played, according to Wiki, Henry at the age of 23 had played 261 games and Mbappe has played 309. So the difference isn't absolutely huge. Also, you need to take into consideration Mbappe plays in a far less demanding league. Most of those games will be an absolute stroll for him and his teammates.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:25:08 pm by Lycan »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2022, 02:27:02 pm »

He's 23 mate. It's a bit of a presumption to suggest he's already hit his peak or is close to his peak, when really, more than likely, his peak years are still yet to come. As for the number of games played, according to Wiki, Henry at the age of 23 had played 261 games and Mbappe has played 309. So the difference isn't absolutely huge. Also, you need to take into consideration Mbappe plays in a far less demanding league. Most of those games will be an absolute stroll for him and his teammates.

At the same age the vast majority of Henrys games had been in the same league....

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2022, 02:33:17 pm »
At the same age the vast majority of Henrys games had been in the same league....

While that is true Mr Lobo, French football was far more competitive back then. And he never played in a side anywhere near as dominant as Mbappe does with PSG.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2022, 02:34:03 pm »
Yeah the best attacker in the world right now - he needs to either win multiple CLs with PSG or move league to get anywhere near the levels of the last gen’s best players.

Although Maradona may be the most iconic, Messi is the greatest/best ever footballer - struggle to see how people objectively argue against that. 

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2022, 02:44:21 pm »

I also think people putting him above peak, pre-injuries Neymar have forgotten how good Neymar was at Barcelona. Neymar was this good or better.

Obviously Mbappe is really good though, and probably only Messi and De Bruyne compare at the moment.

If mbappe was around back then people wouldn’t consider him on Henry’s level, but right now there’s a massive lack of talent, individuality is second to team play so he stands alone. He’s a better center forward , a number 9, than Henry, but as much as I rate him , I doubt he ll ever reach Henry’s flair and finesse. Mbappe is pure pace when he goes out wide, Henry was a magician with rapid speed. Also he’s approaching mid 20s in a league where Pepe looked a top player, so it’ll be interesting if he goes somewhere where he is tested every week.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:46:41 pm by The North Bank »

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2022, 02:50:25 pm »
If mbappe was around back then people wouldn’t consider him on Henry’s level, but right now there’s a massive lack of talent, individuality is second to team play so he stands alone. He’s a better center forward , a number 9, than Henry, but as much as I rate him , I doubt he ll ever reach Henry’s flair and finesse. Mbappe is pure pace when he goes out wide, Henry was a magician with rapid speed.
This is how I feel. If Brazilian Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka etc. were Mbappe’s current competition like Henry’s was, how would he rank? Currently the competition isn’t at that level.

Mbappe is very good but Henry was better. Mbappe probably hasn’t peaked, but he needs to do that in order to be as good as Henry and others of that level, and it is very possible he is a year or two from peaking already based on his style of play.

People are saying he plays in a weak league as though that works in his favour: wasting precious development time in a place where it’s all too easy for you and you have ridiculous status could easily backfire.

I also just don’t find him exciting to watch in the way of the players I listed above: not as fun to watch. I know this is all quite harsh, but people here are comparing him with…Maradona?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:52:41 pm by rscanderlech »

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2022, 02:58:07 pm »
This is how I feel. If Brazilian Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka etc. were Mbappe’s current competition like Henry’s was, how would he rank? Currently the competition isn’t at that level.

Mbappe is very good but Henry was better. Mbappe probably hasn’t peaked, but he needs to do that in order to be as good as Henry and others of that level, and it is very possible he is a year or two from peaking already based on his style of play.

People are saying he plays in a weak league as though that works in his favour: wasting precious development time in a place where it’s all too easy for you and you have ridiculous status could easily backfire.

I also just don’t find him exciting to watch in the way of the players I listed above: not as fun to watch. I know this is all quite harsh, but people here are comparing him with…Maradona?

Let's keep it in the context in which you mentioned he'd already played a lot of games(like he's not far off from being burnt out or something), eh? In that context, of course it's going to benefit him if he plays in a less demanding league.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:00:24 pm by Lycan »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2022, 03:04:51 pm »
I also just don’t find him exciting to watch in the way of the players I listed above: not as fun to watch.

You would have been better off posting this and leaving it at that mate.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2022, 03:14:20 pm »

I don’t think he’s as good as the players of that era yet, but I’m glad he’s around, he’s a lot more exciting to watch than for example Haaland , the rvn of this era.
Who else is around, Ronaldo is finished, Suarez too, Messi on his last hoorah, Neymar Salah and mane in their 30s, where are the world class attackers these days. Partly why a team like Morrocco can make the World Cup semis is because they’re not facing players that can break through their defence and cut them open by themselves.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2022, 03:16:58 pm »

yeah, funny how Henry (outside Arsenal anyway) never gets mentioned as a world great. Some of it is who you play for (ie Real/Barca/Brazil) when you are at your peak.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2022, 03:23:06 pm »
Everyone I've come across considers Thierry Henry a great, because he was. Was he on the same level as Maradona, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho?...No...But he was still a special player.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2022, 03:32:40 pm »

yeah, funny how Henry (outside Arsenal anyway) never gets mentioned as a world great. Some of it is who you play for (ie Real/Barca/Brazil) when you are at your peak.

"The first day he entered the dressing room, I did not dare to look him in the face," Messi previously explained to L'Equipe.

"I knew everything he had done in England. I had an image of him made and suddenly we were on the same team. What I feel for Titi may be a form of admiration.

"I loved Henry. The ease of finishing an action, how he takes the road to the goal and ends the play. He gives the impression that it is natural. His career, his dribbling, the last gesture. It is fluid, proportionate."

Messi thought Henry was great anyway.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2022, 09:02:27 pm »
I’ve assessed it and it’s still Messi

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2022, 09:16:55 pm »
Good point actually. Hopefully Mbappe takes it as motivation to raise it up a level.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2022, 01:09:33 am »
Messi will be the best till he stops playing, probably.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2022, 01:28:39 am »
If his Mum has any say he's coming to us...

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2022, 09:02:49 am »
He did it at Monaco as a 17/18 year old though. Scoring 26 in 44 matches as Monaco won the League and reached the CL semi-final.

Brilliant stuff, great achievement for someone so young. It was one season though, in the French League.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2022, 11:52:22 am »
His break through at Monaco was really special. To be a key contributor to a title win at that age is special, especially when there's already a team like PSG who kept winning it before and since. I remember watching him in the Champions League knockouts that season against City and Dortmund and you knew then he'd be the real thing. Shame that team was broken up early even if we did nab Fab ourselves. PSG has obviously been a great move for him as he's scored a fucking ton but I imagine he's already desperate to win the Champions League and will look to do so going forward.

I think when Messi is retired then Mbappe will be the most talented/prominent footballer on the planet. Not exactly a bold prediction but think that's how it'll be.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2022, 12:50:53 pm »
I think when Messi is retired then Mbappe will be the most talented/prominent footballer on the planet. Not exactly a bold prediction but think that's how it'll be.
To be honest I doubt it. Messi, and Ronaldo are extreme rarities, as was the other Ronaldo and Maradonna. Most of the time there is no 'most talented/prominent footballer on the planet'; rather there's a bunch of top names who vie and oscillate in being better and worse than each other between years, months, weeks and even between games, or based on whose talking about them.

Everything I've seen from Mbappe suggest he'll be at best within that bunch. And, of course, there'll be new additions to that group every year. There are always brilliant new players coming through. But very rarely is there a Messi level standout among them.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D