Author Topic: The state Of The States. How Has America Got To Now?  (Read 340603 times)

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
Re: The state Of The States. How Has America Got To Now?
« Reply #5760 on: February 23, 2024, 02:37:52 pm »
the US and UK establishment are like a Computer motherboard and politician of any stripe are nothing but Apps or operating systems to be installed or uninstalled. They are limited in what they can do and they can't change the CPU Biden, Sunak etc don't really run the Countries and to think they do is naive.
I feel like it's fair to have criticism of Biden and/or his handling of this conflict, but when you frame your entire argument on him being the one man responsible for all of this, any credibility that your argument may have had has officially flown out the window at that point.
Agree with both points above.

In Mimi's defense I assume she feels what I feel; sickened by the images and refusals to put a stop to what's happening, and just venting at the person behind the podium since it's easier/quicker to envision than go all the way back to the mechanisms behind.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #5761 on: February 23, 2024, 03:53:33 pm »
Unfortunately, Hamas' game plan is currently working.

If Chump were to get in the Saudis would be chuffed and the world would be fucked.

Kill the humourless

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5762 on: February 23, 2024, 06:30:58 pm »
Hopefully this gets enacted by DeSantis. Well done Florida for taking the lead here.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2024/0223/1433940-florida-media/

While it seems like a vaguely good idea.I wouldn't trust Desantis and his ilk to do anything good for the ordinary people just his mad religious cronies.How would they enforce this? Go after kids,parents social media companies?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5763 on: February 23, 2024, 08:52:14 pm »

While it seems like a vaguely good idea.I wouldn't trust Desantis and his ilk to do anything good for the ordinary people just his mad religious cronies.How would they enforce this? Go after kids,parents social media companies?

It also once again lays bare how utterly bollocks the claim from 'conservatives' that they cherish freedoms.

Any that do claim that are full-of-shit hypocrites.

They have an overwhelming yearning to oppress freedom and impose a straightjacket of narrow-mindedness, whether that is about sexual freedom, marriage freedom, gender freedom, permissiveness, hedonism, etc.

And now they want to dictate how parents bring up their children, demanding that they know better than parents with regards to internet use and social media.

The same people who support this puritanical imposing of 'big state interference', will be screaming blue murder about 'big state interference' when the more progressive-minded people try to improve society by things like bringing stricter controls on gun ownership or combating racism or making affordable healthcare a right.

And nobody ever calls them out for their hypocrisy.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5764 on: February 23, 2024, 08:56:23 pm »

It also once again lays bare how utterly bollocks the claim from 'conservatives' that they cherish freedoms.

Any that do claim that are full-of-shit hypocrites.

They have an overwhelming yearning to oppress freedom and impose a straightjacket of narrow-mindedness, whether that is about sexual freedom, marriage freedom, gender freedom, permissiveness, hedonism, etc.

And now they want to dictate how parents bring up their children, demanding that they know better than parents with regards to internet use and social media.

The same people who support this puritanical imposing of 'big state interference', will be screaming blue murder about 'big state interference' when the more progressive-minded people try to improve society by things like bringing stricter controls on gun ownership or combating racism or making affordable healthcare a right.

And nobody ever calls them out for their hypocrisy.
You'll be pleased to learn that DeSantis shares your concerns and is minded to not sign the legislation into law.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5765 on: February 23, 2024, 09:00:56 pm »
You'll be pleased to learn that DeSantis shares your concerns and is minded to not sign the legislation into law.

DeSantis more concerned with what kids are allowed to read, presumably
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5767 on: February 23, 2024, 09:36:48 pm »
Yeah that legislation (admittedly based on a cursory glance at the article) sounds daft. What is needed is more levers for parents to pull to curate children's content. My 8yo likes surfing YouTube shorts (basically tiktoks) and we have a YT membership to avoid ads, but it annoys me there is no clear way to say "do not show this video/channel again " when he stumbles upon some AI generated Peppa Pig episode where Shrek murders her family. You can report videos and they get taken down surprisingly easily, but I don't want to censor people when their videos are fine for grown-ups. And yes I know about YT Kids but that's missing a lot of the Premium controls. Anyway, the point, as Nobby and maybe DeSantis said, is that we know what's appropriate for our kids but just need content providers to cooperate rather than forcing us into an all-or-nothing choice.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5768 on: February 23, 2024, 09:42:58 pm »
Yeah that legislation (admittedly based on a cursory glance at the article) sounds daft. What is needed is more levers for parents to pull to curate children's content. My 8yo likes surfing YouTube shorts (basically tiktoks) and we have a YT membership to avoid ads, but it annoys me there is no clear way to say "do not show this video/channel again " when he stumbles upon some AI generated Peppa Pig episode where Shrek murders her family. You can report videos and they get taken down surprisingly easily, but I don't want to censor people when their videos are fine for grown-ups. And yes I know about YT Kids but that's missing a lot of the Premium controls. Anyway, the point, as Nobby and maybe DeSantis said, is that we know what's appropriate for our kids but just need content providers to cooperate rather than forcing us into an all-or-nothing choice.

Spot on and great points

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5769 on: February 23, 2024, 10:20:20 pm »
DeSantis more concerned with what kids are allowed to read, presumably
Politico:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/22/florida-passes-strict-social-media-restrictions-for-minors-00142811
The Republican governor has raised particular concerns about the legislation not giving parents a say in whether their children should be allowed on social media. But lawmakers were unwilling to add a carve-out to the bill that could allow some minors to access social media despite the threat of DeSantis’ possible veto.
You are Ron DeSantis and I claim my £5. :)
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5771 on: February 23, 2024, 10:26:02 pm »

I'm not sure how it would be enforced but i do know from talking to my wife who works in child mental health services that there is an tsunami of issues within the last few years effecting younger and younger kids due to the influence of social media and access with smart phones. It's a step in the right direction and i hope eventually we follow suit here in Ireland and ban them for young kids.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kill the humourless

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5773 on: February 25, 2024, 11:02:24 am »
Oh dear. @Studgotelli won't be happy.

:lmao why would I not be happy? Will continue to hit record highs. Everything is great, soft landing and the average person working multiple jobs must be celebrating Wall St bankers making billions from the stock market. “The roaring 20s”.  :D

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5774 on: February 25, 2024, 11:56:47 am »

the average person working multiple jobs

:lmao

Says the troll of Wall St.

Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5775 on: February 25, 2024, 12:23:10 pm »
https://parentinfluence.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/15-9.jpg

Not the most scientific but quite interesting.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kill the humourless

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5777 on: February 25, 2024, 12:50:00 pm »
:lmao why would I not be happy? Will continue to hit record highs. Everything is great, soft landing and the average person working multiple jobs must be celebrating Wall St bankers making billions from the stock market. “The roaring 20s”.  :D
A bit of fun with you is all. For what it is worth, I agree that - generally speaking - the greater the boom, the greater the bust. This is what annoyed so much about Gordon Brown's oft repeated, 'no more boom and bust'. The disagreement with you is your certainty that the next recession will occur before the next Presidential election. A big world event (of some sort) could certainly cause this. As - generally speaking - recessions tend to come as a surprise following an unexpected event which tips the balance. Recessions always arrive at some point, but when is largely indeterminate.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:51:51 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5778 on: February 25, 2024, 01:34:15 pm »
A bit of fun with you is all. For what it is worth, I agree that - generally speaking - the greater the boom, the greater the bust. This is what annoyed so much about Gordon Brown's oft repeated, 'no more boom and bust'. The disagreement with you is your certainty that the next recession will occur before the next Presidential election. A big world event (of some sort) could certainly cause this. As - generally speaking - recessions tend to come as a surprise following an unexpected event which tips the balance. Recessions always arrive at some point, but when is largely indeterminate.

All good fine sir, no issues on my end at all  :D

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5779 on: February 25, 2024, 01:39:05 pm »
Cringe
Kill the humourless

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5780 on: February 25, 2024, 02:59:02 pm »
Markets hit record highs again

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/nasdaq-futures-jump-nearly-2-after-nvidia-trounces-expectations-2024-02-22/
Oh dear. @Studgotelli won't be happy.
:lmao

Says the troll of Wall St.
All good fine sir, no issues on my end at all  :D
Cringe
What is wrong with you @jambutty? [Rhetorical question]

@Studgotelli and I have strongly disagreed with each other in the past, and he and I, above, indulged in a bit of ribbing and sarcasm, but we have come to some agreement. And you, 'cringe', because...? [Again, rhetorical question]

We all understand that you thrive on confrontation and delivering smart Alek remarks - but it is monumentally boring, childish and unilluminating. Like many RAWKites, I sometimes like the cut and trust of a good argument, but unlike you, most here do not repeatedly resort to the retorts of a pubescent schoolgirl.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 09:35:54 am by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5781 on: February 25, 2024, 08:09:28 pm »
I'll leave the thread to you and your chum for awhile.

Up the Reds!

A great win!

Kill the humourless

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5782 on: February 27, 2024, 07:21:22 am »
Really good Rest is Politics: Leading interview this week with former Clinton diplomat James Rubin, providing interesting insights into USA's place in the world, and a robust exchange with Rory Stewart... he doesn't stand for reductionist arguments, it's safe to say:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6g169svGmV5LWrhN26H0Ix?si=YmHbsdeVS0OFEo4PNNuWVw

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #5783 on: February 27, 2024, 09:31:59 am »
Really good Rest is Politics: Leading interview this week with former Clinton diplomat James Rubin, providing interesting insights into USA's place in the world, and a robust exchange with Rory Stewart... he doesn't stand for reductionist arguments, it's safe to say:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6g169svGmV5LWrhN26H0Ix?si=YmHbsdeVS0OFEo4PNNuWVw

Was very funny. Taking no shit from Rory - about time someone did that. Although clearly had no effect on him from the post-interview discussion.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5784 on: February 27, 2024, 09:37:22 am »
Was very funny. Taking no shit from Rory - about time someone did that. Although clearly had no effect on him from the post-interview discussion.
I was not expecting to hear about Rory's dating escapades. :)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5785 on: February 27, 2024, 11:54:12 am »

JB is a bad shit stirrer. 

Best to just ignore.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5786 on: February 27, 2024, 12:02:11 pm »
JB is a bad shit stirrer. 

Best to just ignore.
I hear you. But my remarks were more in defense of another member (the apparent target of JB's comment). I have disagreed with @Studgotelli and taken him posts to task - I have enough respect for him to do that, no matter how much I might disagree with view. But that's the point, isn't!? Argue/debate, not habitually post vapid, empty comments.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5787 on: February 27, 2024, 03:59:11 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fxuN3i84FNY&amp;ab_channel=LateNightwithSethMeyers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fxuN3i84FNY&amp;ab_channel=LateNightwithSethMeyers</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5788 on: February 27, 2024, 06:00:38 pm »
This is gonna turn into the Fallon tousling Trump's hair video. If you like the man, this is pretty much as good as it going to get for the rest of his time in public office. Soak it in. This is him performing at 100%, spoonfed by a friendly face in front of a vetted audience.

For anybody else, this video confirms all the things wrong with Biden. Regarding his comments on Gaza, it's best I not speak other than to note that the picture of him licking ice cream while answering a reporter's question about the ceasefire is against the backdrop of the steady stream of pictures coming out of Gaza of dead children who have died of starvation. That is going to be a defining image of his presidency.

But on the other issue I care about, abortion, he continues his fucking nonsense. Biden says Trump is taking abortion back to before Roe v Wade. This is his campaign's tactic on abortion. Best case explanation for why they are doing this is to obscure the fact that Roe v Wade was overturned during Biden's presidency. It's a tactic that would have made sense in 2020, but does not make sense now.  The slogan also disguises the fact that Roe v Wade cannot be restored without expanding the courts, which is also something that Biden refuses to do. The only thing that Biden can do for abortion if he is re-elected is to veto a national ban. I don't get why he refuses to campaign on the realities of abortion and reproductive justice issues in general. The signs at his election rallies always say "Restore Roe v Wade." But who is this for? Other old men who only understand abortion in terms of Roe v Wade? Because for the people who are are actually affected by any decision on abortion, things are well past that point and Biden is a fucking terrible ally.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #5791 on: February 27, 2024, 06:25:04 pm »
I honestly can’t believe you’re trying to argue that the one man in the world responsible for making the killing possible is somehow better than some random Republican tool. Biden is just the one guy who is actually making it possible to “Kill them all” by supplying the weapons and ordering the veto of ceasefires. Of all the issues to bolster support for Biden, Gaza should be the one off the table because of his indifference towards the cost of human life arising from his beliefs and actions. Please have some respect for the Palestinian people who are dying in horrific ways because of his decisions; their lives shouldn’t be used to score meaningless political points. Other than this message board, I have not seen any Biden supporters point to his handling of Gaza as a reason to support him against the Republicans.

The slavering compulsion to defend Biden against any criticism is becoming like the zombification of Trump’s MAGA supporters. Take a step back and think of Hind Rabat and the thousands of shredded children before you make the argument that somehow Biden is better than the words “kill them all.”

Can you show me where I've done anything you've said I've done?

I'm not even a fan of Biden  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5792 on: February 27, 2024, 06:37:04 pm »

But on the other issue I care about, abortion, he continues his fucking nonsense. Biden says Trump is taking abortion back to before Roe v Wade. This is his campaign's tactic on abortion. Best case explanation for why they are doing this is to obscure the fact that Roe v Wade was overturned during Biden's presidency.

Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade, ie same court that was heavily appointed by the orange one.

The nutjob himself took credit for it

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/roe-v-wade-decision-trump-takes-credit-for-supreme-court-abortion-ruling.html

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5793 on: February 27, 2024, 06:52:14 pm »
Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade, ie same court that was heavily appointed by the orange one.

The nutjob himself took credit for it

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/roe-v-wade-decision-trump-takes-credit-for-supreme-court-abortion-ruling.html

Yes, I know that the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade in a decision called Dobbs. I know that Trump is taking credit for the decision. Who was the president when Dobbs was decided? What does Restore Roe mean for a Biden supporter? It must have some meaning because that is his backdrop on campaign events.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5794 on: February 27, 2024, 09:21:39 pm »
Yes, I know that the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade in a decision called Dobbs. I know that Trump is taking credit for the decision. Who was the president when Dobbs was decided? What does Restore Roe mean for a Biden supporter? It must have some meaning because that is his backdrop on campaign events.

Don’t know, but then I’m 4000 miles away and not close to daily shenanigans re US politics, beyond what’s reported this side of the Atlantic.  Wouldn’t label myself a ‘Biden supporter’.  More anyone but Trump and looks like it’s Biden for the Dems.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5795 on: February 27, 2024, 10:27:08 pm »
What could Biden do to stop Dobbs? Expanding the court would be political suicide, it'd undermine Dem authority re: respect for institutions and lead to tit-for-tat expansion until you end up with a hundred on the bench. Judicial reform is needed (age and/or term limits) but to prevent Dobbs you'd need to detach the SC from the legislative process. Some other country has been trying to do that recently to great civil unrest, I wonder who.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5796 on: February 28, 2024, 01:26:05 am »
more nonsense.
yes Biden was the president when Dobbs was decided.  so what?

your posts indicate that you think the POTUS is omnipotent. along with phoning Israel and telling them to stop hurting people in Gaza, he should phone the SCOTUS and tell them what decisions to make.

Israel is a sovereign country whether you like it or not.  and no President has authority over the SCOTUS.

how about taking a deep breath and growing the hell up.  knock off the childish wah-wah-wah comments.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5797 on: February 28, 2024, 01:34:42 am »
more nonsense.
yes Biden was the president when Dobbs was decided.  so what?

your posts indicate that you think the POTUS is omnipotent. along with phoning Israel and telling them to stop hurting people in Gaza, he should phone the SCOTUS and tell them what decisions to make.

Israel is a sovereign country whether you like it or not.  and no President has authority over the SCOTUS.

how about taking a deep breath and growing the hell up.  knock off the childish wah-wah-wah comments.

This from a guy who has a track record on these boards of considered criticism of my country's political system, and both political parties.

Nice one, Sam...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5798 on: February 28, 2024, 01:37:46 am »
This from a guy who has a track record on these boards of considered criticism of my country's political system, and both political parties.

Nice one, Sam...
no idea when I've criticized the Dems - can you provide the quotes?

and your political system deserves a LOT of criticism, or do you think it's working just fine?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5799 on: February 28, 2024, 01:41:13 am »
no idea when I've criticized the Dems - can you provide the quotes?

and your political system deserves a LOT of criticism, or do you think it's working just fine?

I'll look back, wasn't being critical of your criticism but rather supportive. Sorry if it came across in that manner.

I like the written rather than implied constitution, but we made it too hard to change it.

The weighting of elections to Congress, particularly the Senate, is a travesty of a democratic process. Huge flaw...

And the Supreme Court being a for life appointment no longer serves the original purpose.

So I'd be inclined to agree that it's not working fine...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...