Author Topic: Euro 2020 (2021) Chat & Final MATCH THREAD  (Read 532073 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Euro 2020 (2021) Chat & Final MATCH THREAD
« Reply #22240 on: July 8, 2021, 11:33:26 am »
How do you all feel about Maguire's sorties into the midfield, incidentally? Think it's a consistent line breaker that makes you more difficult to face? Or does it just provide an opportunity to steal the ball and break while you're a man short?

Edit: I should clarify. I think Maguire thinks he's Franz Beckenbauer and Pickford thinks he's Chilavert, whereas the reality is a little more sketchy. 

Yet corners and free-kicks are a key part of England’s arsenal and three times in a row early in the second half, Harry Maguire, rumbling forward like a moai being walked from the quarries on Easter Island, won headers from set plays, the second of them drawing a telescopic-armed save from Schmeichel.
- Jonathan Wilson
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22241 on: July 8, 2021, 11:33:45 am »
The Danish journo calling Sterling and Kane divers on SkySports news and the presenter counter argues that the free kick that lead to the goal was soft and that Kane should have had a pen before that. They’ll bend over backwards to defend their own cheating but when someone from the opposition does it or what they perceive to be diving then it’s been brought over from the foreign lands and is an insult to the ghosts of this great game. On a side note Uefa are looking at charges against England for their fans using a laser, disturbances during the National anthem and lighting fireworks. All things considered you can see why so many on here don’t want England to win, theres plenty to dislike.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22242 on: July 8, 2021, 11:34:35 am »
Don't dislike England... I just don't like Pickford or Kane.

Kane getting MOTM last night after spending 119 out of the 120 minutes throwing himself to the floor, and the other scoring a trademark tap in after a crap pen, is a joke.

If they win the tournament he might even be in for a knighthood and I just absolutely cannot be arsed with "Sir Harold Kane" becoming a legitimate thing.

Kane was fucking pathetic yesterday, and Sterling was equally pathetic. Kane went down on every contact, players like him deserved to have his career ended by an actual tackle.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22243 on: July 8, 2021, 11:34:54 am »
Actually a quick update to all this.

My missus has just reminded me that our youngest grandaughter - the most adorable little thing in the entire universe - has got England in her school draw so looks like I might be having to reassess my loyalties on Sunday night. Family first or city first? What a fucking dilemma hey folks.

;D

What does she stand to win if England do it? Surely you can support Italy and just give her the winnings afterwards? :D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22244 on: July 8, 2021, 11:35:35 am »
If he starts that same midfield vs Italy then it’s going to be a long night for the England defenders.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22245 on: July 8, 2021, 11:36:08 am »
Henderson possibly about to become the first Englishman ever to win a league title, the European Cup and the Euros.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #22246 on: July 8, 2021, 11:37:00 am »
-

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #22247 on: July 8, 2021, 11:38:24 am »
When publishers scramble to release the England equivalent of Das Reboot, they should carefully remember in among the fawning praise for some mythical ten-year plan devised after another tournament exit that they were a pint of wine away from a different outcome

Maybe but it would be wrong to argue a lot hasn't changed in the England set up over the last ten years ... the other counter point would be that Allardyce is a perfectly good manager and probably could've set the team up similarly - he'd still have had the incredible talent to work with Southgate has

As for causality ultimately every sports narrative is based on the result then you work back which is why they're all so suspect.
My favourite is Moneyball which is a fantastic story and no doubt they were thinking differently but both the film and the book entirely neglected that mostly by luck the As had 3 of the best starting pitchers in all of baseball that were by far the biggest reason for their success

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #22248 on: July 8, 2021, 11:38:31 am »
Quick note to all posters, before you write your own personal essay on why you do/don’t support the England Men’s Football team, please consider that literally every single angle of this debate has been covered in the last 554 pages and your soliloquy either way will change 0 (zero) minds.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22249 on: July 8, 2021, 11:39:36 am »
:lmao

That’s absolutely spot on.

On the Jorginho point I think Southgate will stick with Mount on the basis he probably knows him well. I don’t think Mount has done a lot this tournament but I can’t see Southgate moving too far from his tried and trusted at this stage.

Will he start Saka again? I like him, and he’s has his moments but he didn’t threaten that much. I’d obviously start Henderson over Rice but can see him going same again there.

I think you're right about Mount (who's been good so far in my book), and I'd start Saka cos Emerson will be on his bike.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22250 on: July 8, 2021, 11:41:48 am »
As for causality ultimately every sports narrative is based on the result then you work back which is why they're all so suspect.
My favourite is Moneyball which is a fantastic story and no doubt they were thinking differently but both the film and the book entirely neglected that mostly by luck the As had 3 of the best starting pitchers in all of baseball that were by far the biggest reason for their success

I think the point of the book was more that sabremetrics redefined what value meant in the sport, no?

That's certainly the theme running throughout most of Lewis's work.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22251 on: July 8, 2021, 12:00:10 pm »
A work colleague of my missus told her that a few people he knows well have been getting into Wembley easily for recent games by following people through the turnstiles. Said the checks were really lax and obviously with the reduced capacity there wasn't much hassle finding seats to take up!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #22252 on: July 8, 2021, 12:02:16 pm »
Anyone got any kind of reaction from Denmark of the match and tournament as a whole?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22253 on: July 8, 2021, 12:02:26 pm »

My missus has just reminded me that our youngest grandaughter - the most adorable little thing in the entire universe - has got England in her school draw so looks like I might be having to reassess my loyalties on Sunday night. Family first or city first? What a fucking dilemma hey folks.

;D

Too late Timbo. You've already walked the plank.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22254 on: July 8, 2021, 12:02:40 pm »
A work colleague of my missus told her that a few people he knows well have been getting into Wembley easily for recent games by following people through the turnstiles. Said the checks were really lax and obviously with the reduced capacity there wasn't much hassle finding seats to take up!

Yeah Wembley looked like it had far more than 65k people in there last night

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22255 on: July 8, 2021, 12:03:50 pm »
Yeah Wembley looked like it had far more than 65k people in there last night

Yeah. Although I am sure it will be a very different story with security come Sunday night.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22256 on: July 8, 2021, 12:05:13 pm »

This sounds like something from the 70s & 80s. Bunking up two at a time to get through the turnstiles. And with standing only at the two ends, once you were in, you were in!

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #22257 on: July 8, 2021, 12:05:45 pm »
Henderson possibly about to become the first Englishman ever to win a league title, the European Cup and the Euros.

I like the sound of that.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22258 on: July 8, 2021, 12:12:32 pm »
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57763001

Euro 2020: England charged by Uefa after 'laser' penalty incident

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22259 on: July 8, 2021, 12:12:59 pm »
Anyone got any kind of reaction from Denmark of the match and tournament as a whole?
Suffice to say they've very temporarily relinquished the title of "world's happiest country/people" in the cold light of day.

Having their national anthem booed, players blinded by lasers and the opposition cheating their way to a win at any cost, will do that to a nation.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #22260 on: July 8, 2021, 12:13:59 pm »

'Euro 2020: England charge by Uefa after 'laser' penalty incident'

England are also charged with causing a "disturbance" during Denmark's national anthem and setting off fireworks.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001 & www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/08/england-face-uefa-censure-after-laser-pointer-shone-at-kasper-schmeichel

« Last Edit: July 8, 2021, 12:38:58 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22261 on: July 8, 2021, 12:14:09 pm »
Yeah. Although I am sure it will be a very different story with security come Sunday night.

Rumours Johnson is going to increase capacity to a full house so no doubt.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #22262 on: July 8, 2021, 12:16:10 pm »

Browsing through some of the Danish papers, the media is proud of the team's accomplishments and the party-like atmosphere their run created. There is a sense that they left everything on the pitch/nobody could have asked for more. The media and the national team also seem hopeful going forward. However both are furious over some of the stuff that went on last night (the laser, the penalty, the two balls on the pitch prior to the penalty).
« Last Edit: July 8, 2021, 12:20:01 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22263 on: July 8, 2021, 12:16:24 pm »
Booing the national anthem is a bit small time but is it that much of an offensive thing to do? England can’t be the only country that do it? How does it compare to a hostile Anfield crowd booing everything the opposition do from the one that their teamsheet is read out?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22264 on: July 8, 2021, 12:18:23 pm »
Booing the national anthem is a bit small time but is it that much of an offensive thing to do? England can’t be the only country that do it? How does it compare to a hostile Anfield crowd booing everything the opposition do from the one that their teamsheet is read out?
Or a hostile goodison crown booing everything the home team do  :D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #22265 on: July 8, 2021, 12:20:13 pm »

The 'most' is just incorrect. My social media timeline was full of a wide range of people supporting England. Normal people. People from places more diverse than Liverpool. A lot more than little Englanders support the national team mate.

?

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22266 on: July 8, 2021, 12:20:19 pm »
Or a hostile goodison crown booing everything the home team do  :D

That too!

And before I get accused of it, I wouldn’t boo another anthem (I wouldn’t go to a game). But if England are playing away somewhere and the anthem would booed I don’t think it would bother me.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22267 on: July 8, 2021, 12:23:12 pm »

;D

Just because she's got the school sweepstake doesn't mean you have to go all Ingurland mate. Let her enjoy it by all means but stick to your honest principles/emotions, maybe just dial down the apoplectic fury/gloating celebrations when England/Italy eventually score/win.

My youngest knows all about the "cheating and diving" of England's finest and whilst the school have messaged parents this morning asking them all to come in tomorrow dressed in red and white to "celebrate our semi final win" ::) he retains a healthy skepticism of all the patriotic nonsense as well as a strong sense of fair play. Helps he also has a natural affinity with England's semi and final opponents.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #22268 on: July 8, 2021, 12:24:10 pm »
Gareth:

Mount doesn't get forward quickly enough

When we are defending a set piece, surely Sterling is more use on the half way line than trying to defend.

What is the point in passing it back to Pickford if hes just going to lump it forward. With a risk of a fuck up. The outfield player might as well just hoof it.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #22269 on: July 8, 2021, 12:24:51 pm »
Plus the 2019 UEFA Super Cup and the Club World Cup. The combination of all 5 may never be beaten!.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22270 on: July 8, 2021, 12:26:07 pm »
Small time yes, and usually confined to pockets of fans. Except last night, it sounded like 60,000 ringing out the boos, even louder than the life lesson they taught the little crying German girl last week.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22271 on: July 8, 2021, 12:27:40 pm »
?

Stood out a mile to me too. Liverpool has always been one of the most diverse and multicultural cities in England if not Europe.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #22272 on: July 8, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »
Has anything been clarified on Grealish being subbed?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #22273 on: July 8, 2021, 12:28:13 pm »

I feel booing the anthems is counter productive too, gives the opposition more motivation to want to win, but creating an hostile atmosphere[similar to Anfield on european nights, the 4-0 against Barcelona being prime example] during the match is fine by me.

#Sausages

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22274 on: July 8, 2021, 12:29:17 pm »
People from places more diverse than Liverpool.

Come on, you can’t be from Liverpool, or ever even visited, if you’re saying that.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #22275 on: July 8, 2021, 12:37:19 pm »
It was a tactical change. He wanted to go 3 at the back with Trippier as RWB. Grealish was a bit all over the place, not as effective as Sterling so got the ol' shepherd's hook.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #22276 on: July 8, 2021, 12:38:18 pm »
It was a tactical change. He wanted to go 3 at the back with Trippier as RWB. Grealish was a bit all over the place, not as effective as Sterling so got the ol' shepherd's hook.

:thumbup
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22277 on: July 8, 2021, 12:39:41 pm »
I dont even mind Kane or Sterling diving, its all part of the game whether you like it or not. What fucking annoys me is the sanctimonious bullshit from the English press, journalist and pundits talking about the 'purity' of the game when it happens against them. Suddenly, 'we're due some good luck', is the popular line

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22278 on: July 8, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »
Tactical.

Southgate: "He understood, he was terrific when he came on he gave us momentum but we know when they’ve gone behind in games they’ve thrown four men up front so we needed to get an extra defender on just to make sure we were more solid and I wanted to keep Raheem’s [Sterling] speed on so it meant taking one of the two boys off who had just come on."

Fair play to Southgate for doing that.  It sounds like it was a toss up between dragging Grealish or Foden and he'd only brought Foden on 10 minutes earlier (Grealish had played 45 minutes).

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Euro 2020 (2021) Chat & Semi Finals MATCH THREAD
« Reply #22279 on: July 8, 2021, 12:41:28 pm »
It's the ref's fault though. Had he not given it, VAR wouldn't have given it.

That's not the point. Referee's make mistakes i can except that but VAR should you used to correct those mistakes. Last night it was used to get England (a high revenue earner for tournament organisers funnily enough) to the final.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?