Author Topic: Euro 2020 (2021) Chat & Final MATCH THREAD  (Read 532020 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Euro 2020 (2021) Chat & Final MATCH THREAD
« Reply #22400 on: July 8, 2021, 04:52:29 pm »
To be fair I dipped my toes in about 10 days ago or so but then just found it insufferable so stopped coming in. Only here now as I'm just eking out the hours till I can log off from work.

Made my peace with the fact Southgate is sound, the players seem decent and lots of people from my work are so enthusiastic over it. Should be good for them. I won't be a hypocrite if they win it, just don't feel anything when they score.

Either way I hope it's a good quality final. Wouldn't mind another go at extra time and some penalties for max drama ;D

I've tried to support them but I just can't, I can't change the lack of interest and feelings. Liverpool winning a throw in will always mean more to me. My missus has managed to change from not giving a shit to wanting them to win it, but she is going the pub Sunday as she can't watch with me. I can't help making comments when Matterface says shit like "Pickford is usually exemplary with his distribution" or Kane throws himself on the floor when not touched.

I'd still rather they won it than Italy though, they take diving and cheating to a much higher level.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #22401 on: July 8, 2021, 04:53:54 pm »
Björn Kuipers is refereeing the final.  He was the guy who the PSG players were complaining that he insulted them when they were beaten by City in this year's CL semi. 
I'm all for referees speaking the same language as the players, so any ref who tells Anders Herrera to fuck off is alright by me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #22402 on: July 8, 2021, 04:55:41 pm »
Verratti was coming in off a knee injury, so maybe doesn't feel he can do 90 minutes properly still.

Englands key on Sunday will be trying to expose the fullbacks, Di Lorenzo looked really good against Spain but Sterling has been one of the best players so far. England are also going to be tested out wide in a way I don't think anyone else has so far, and Walker has looked dodgy while defending.

Insigne and Sterling on each teams left wing could be the players that have the winning impact.
I agree. Italy are essentially playing their second choices in both full back positions and while they are obviously top class players, they aren’t Florenzi and Spinnazola.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22403 on: July 8, 2021, 05:00:42 pm »
All of us are good Liverpool fans, but some of us can also want England to win.  And that doesn't mean we boo anthems, doesn't mean we voted Brexit, doesn't mean we applaud the gamesmanship.
I’m interested in this bit highlighted above…

Other than Suarez, I can’t think of a player or time in recent history where as a Liverpool fanbase we’ve condoned or turned a blind eye to “gamesmanship” (by the way, Chiellini’s antics with Alba counts as gamesmanship, what Kane and Sterling do is deliberate and blatant cheating IMO) by one of our own players.

So how does that sit with you as an England fan? I mean it’s obviously different, you’re not (I assume?) anywhere close to the same levels of emotional investment. Genuinely curious.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2021, 05:02:39 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #22404 on: July 8, 2021, 05:02:28 pm »
And how do we know that kid wasn't crying tears of disgust rather than elation?
They're not tears of elation. You can clearly see as she takes the shirt, it slowly dawns on her that by doing so she's now fully baptised as one of the tribe. One of those brexit loving, boris worshipping, pint downing, chair smashing, xenophobic, racist, Liverpool-hating Tories. Her transformation to the dark side is complete. She's become..........one of them.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22405 on: July 8, 2021, 05:05:24 pm »
Superb!

In fact I'd lock Mason Mount up (again) for being so stingy. Or - as Rossie was sort of saying - for coming up with such an effing cliche.

And how do we know that kid wasn't crying tears of disgust rather than elation?
No ‘e’ there Yorkie, c’mon how long has it been? Is your Italian that shite? ;)

As for those tears, nothing to do with England, I think she just quite likes young Mount in a teenage girl crush kind of way and this’ll would have given her serious school kudos this morning.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #22406 on: July 8, 2021, 05:06:43 pm »
There is talk on twitter of making Monday a Emergency bank holiday if England win the Euros. Another reason to support the lads.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22407 on: July 8, 2021, 05:08:04 pm »
They're not tears of elation. You can clearly see as she takes the shirt, it slowly dawns on her that by doing so she's now fully baptised as one of the tribe. One of those brexit loving, boris worshipping, pint downing, chair smashing, xenophobic, racist, Liverpool-hating Tories. Her transformation to the dark side is complete. She's become..........one of them.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22408 on: July 8, 2021, 05:08:34 pm »
There is talk on twitter of making Monday a Emergency bank holiday if England win the Euros. Another reason to support the lads.

I'm up for that :thumbup
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22409 on: July 8, 2021, 05:17:50 pm »
Denmark were my team for the tournament having spent a bit of time there and generally loving the country and it’s people.
Same here except lucky to have had similar experience of both countries. Denmark is such a civilised place. And despite the Immobile/Chiellini dark arts being rife, in general Italian fans (other than the stabby ultra pricks) love their footie and very knowledgable with it.

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22410 on: July 8, 2021, 05:18:03 pm »
I've tried to support them but I just can't, I can't change the lack of interest and feelings. Liverpool winning a throw in will always mean more to me. My missus has managed to change from not giving a shit to wanting them to win it, but she is going the pub Sunday as she can't watch with me. I can't help making comments when Matterface says shit like "Pickford is usually exemplary with his distribution" or Kane throws himself on the floor when not touched.

This.

I'd still rather they won it than Italy though, they take diving and cheating to a much higher level.

But not this. Yes they dive as much as the next man, especially if the next man is Sterling or Kane, but so what. Italia!

The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22411 on: July 8, 2021, 05:23:09 pm »
Or in truth Birmingham and Manchester. My understanding is that Liverpool has some of the oldest black and Chinese communities in the world but that it was comparatively unaffected by the great migrations from Asia and the West Indies in the 1950s to 1970s.

No doubt the white population of the city has more diverse origins than most places in the UK but compared with the cities Ive mentioned, as well as places like Bradford, Huddersfield, Coventry, Leicester, Woverhampton, Luton etc it is a very white town.

That's fair I think?
Oldest Chinatown in Europe. And 4th in world after San Francisco, Melbourne and some place in the P’pines.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22412 on: July 8, 2021, 05:24:06 pm »
Making me laugh all the posters on here crying because people don't like England.

Well we don't. I'm truly delighted that you do and I would never dream of trying to talk you out of it.

But too many years of too much shit have meant that I hope they get stuffed on Sunday. And I hope the winner is the most laughable dive in the history of the game (Though it'll have to be some dive to beat Sterlings)

I imagine the media and fans won't be justifying it then.

Makes me laugh that there are Englishmen openly supporting another country whos fans love nothing more than attacking small groups or visiting fans with knives,bricks and fucking belts and fans who gets hard-ons when they manage to put opposing fans in hospital.

Me personally,even though I have been to 3 world cups wouldn't do that but that's because unlike English people who understandably support England & the other English loons who are now waving the flag of the arse stabbers,my mood won't change no matter the result but I would prefer an England win over the side that is supported by cowards who attack lone men and put them into comas.

But that's just me,you fly that flag Andy,we're not worthy.

And Denmark shouldn't even have been in the semi.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #22413 on: July 8, 2021, 05:26:43 pm »

Other than Suarez, I can’t think of a player or time in recent history where as a Liverpool fanbase we’ve condoned or turned a blind eye to “gamesmanship” (by the way, Chiellini’s antics with Alba counts as gamesmanship, what Kane and Sterling do is deliberate and blatant cheating IMO) by one of our own players.

So how does that sit with you as an England fan? I mean it’s obviously different, you’re not (I assume?) anywhere close to the same levels of emotional investment. Genuinely curious.

I don't like it, I think Kane was buying freekicks non-stop and I don't think we've had a player who was that blatant about it.

But like you said, I'm not anywhere near as invested in the national team as I am Liverpool.  I want England to win, but I won't really be all that bothered if the Italians do (but that might also be because I'm half-Italian, so I'm laughing either way).
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22414 on: July 8, 2021, 05:29:35 pm »

<snip>

And Denmark shouldn't even have been in the semi.
We all understand the Sean Cox attack is still very recent and raw. But as I said above, lumping the vast majority of Italians in with “stabby ultra pricks” is skewed logic.

As for the Denmark comment, care to explain? Because they lost group games?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #22415 on: July 8, 2021, 05:32:35 pm »
Not really arsed about Kane or Sterling buying free kicks, everyone does it.

Just find it hilarious how the goalposts move when analysing decisions/tackles etc that will be entirely different when the domestic season kicks off. Twas ever thus though.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22416 on: July 8, 2021, 05:32:48 pm »
We all understand the Sean Cox attack is still very recent and raw. But as I said above, lumping the vast majority of Italians in with “stabby ultra pricks” is skewed logic.

You ever been to Italy on an away ?

Denmark got a corner when it was an obvious goal kick (their player hand up claiming it) and scored from it against the Czechs who were the better side on the night.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #22417 on: July 8, 2021, 05:33:01 pm »

The kind of fans who go and watch the Italian national side aren't the types who go around picking people off in their ultra groups with their clubs. At least in terms of behaviour. As a comparison, the Scotland national team doesn't have all the Celtic/Rangers sectarianism. it's a different crowd.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22418 on: July 8, 2021, 05:36:40 pm »
my mood won't change no matter the result but I would prefer an England win over the side that is supported by cowards who attack lone men and put them into comas.

I never thought of that WAP mate. Good point.
But I didn't miss the irony in rossi's reply though. It's bewildering :)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22419 on: July 8, 2021, 05:37:47 pm »
Jesus fucking christ

Some English people want to see the England team to get beat , some are completely indifferent and some want them to win

why does it need such debate, can anyone tell me ?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22420 on: July 8, 2021, 05:37:51 pm »

Obviously I’m not Tubby (well, I am a little, but I’m working on it). Last night I was wanting England to win (without being particularly arsed if they didn’t). When that penalty was given I actually wanted Kane to miss but for England to go on and win anyway. I think had he done so England would have kept turning the screw and scored. Obviously we’ll never know so it can be debated ad infinitum and it did then dictate a lot of the post match chat so I’d rather they’d have won in a different way.

Just thinking if that was Liverpool, I probably wouldn’t be bothered at all, and if we’d won a big game like that, the fume from Mancs and Evertonians would make any ‘guilt’ I felt about cheering a slightly dubious penalty irrelevant and I’d double down on the gloating. :D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22421 on: July 8, 2021, 05:39:15 pm »

And lost on many.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22422 on: July 8, 2021, 05:42:43 pm »

Yeah, that's an odd comment. Even in the games they lost, they were the better team. Finland game was also played under extraordinary circumstances.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22423 on: July 8, 2021, 05:44:13 pm »
Anyway, back to what matters. Jorghino is their weak link right? We Liverpool fans can at least agree on that. And who doesnt he want in his face? Jordan Henderson of course. If England play their cards right the game ought to pass the slow and physically frail Jorginho by.
Would that be the same Jorginho who is bizarrely currently being touted as possible Ballon D’Or winner?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22424 on: July 8, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
Yeah, that's an odd comment. Even in the games they lost, they were the better team. Finland game was also played under extraordinary circumstances.

35 seconds in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3w59HVJzzdE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3w59HVJzzdE</a>

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22425 on: July 8, 2021, 05:49:13 pm »
The kind of fans who go and watch the Italian national side aren't the types who go around picking people off in their ultra groups with their clubs. At least in terms of behaviour. As a comparison, the Scotland national team doesn't have all the Celtic/Rangers sectarianism. it's a different crowd.
My understanding (from Italian friends and colleagues) is that is the same types, except the ultras act differently and move in different groups when it’s the Azzurri playing, so they are much more diluted and don’t give in to their cowardly violent nature. But yeah, your point still stands in a way.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22426 on: July 8, 2021, 05:51:20 pm »
If I was a Denmark fan Id be very pissed off that England won via a penalty scored from a dive. Id be infuriated with Kane's antics too, most of which the ref bought. How fitting by the way that the final whistle was blown as Kane fell to the floor again.

However....Id also furtively know that the Denmark goal came from a very dodgy couple of free kicks, one the clear product of a dive. And I'd also know that my team was way inferior to the English one and that they probably deserved to go through. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22427 on: July 8, 2021, 05:53:44 pm »
Would that be the same Jorginho who is bizarrely currently being touted as possible Ballon D’Or winner?

I read that too. Utterly bizarre as you say.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22428 on: July 8, 2021, 05:54:57 pm »
Jesus fucking christ

Some English people want to see the England team to get beat , some are completely indifferent and some want them to win

why does it need such debate, can anyone tell me ?

Exactly. Not sure why anyone needs to defend their particular opinion, or attack someone with an opposite one. There are plenty of reasons people have their opinion and it's not really something to get wound up by.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22429 on: July 8, 2021, 05:57:38 pm »
If I was a Denmark fan Id be very pissed off that England won via a penalty scored from a dive. Id be infuriated with Kane's antics too, most of which the ref bought. How fitting by the way that the final whistle was blown as Kane fell to the floor again.

However....Id also furtively know that the Denmark goal came from a very dodgy couple of free kicks, one the clear product of a dive. And I'd also know that my team was way inferior to the English one and that they probably deserved to go through. 
I don’t think the Danes were in any way “inferior” albeit I fell asleep in the second half, waking only to see Sterling dive for the pen before switching off in inevitable disgust and boredom.

I think their achievement in reaching the semi after the traumatising start they had to the tournament, plus the travel and no home advantage at this stage, is the stuff of admiration. And this isn’t patronising a nation with less than 1/10th of the population of England, after all they’ve won the bloody thing in living memory unlike the home side.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22430 on: July 8, 2021, 06:00:18 pm »
I don’t think the Danes were in any way “inferior” albeit I fell asleep in the second half, waking only to see Sterling dive for the pen before switching off in inevitable disgust and boredom.

I think their achievement in reaching the semi after the traumatising start they had to the tournament, plus the travel and no home advantage at this stage, is the stuff of admiration. And this isn’t patronising a nation with less than 1/10th of the population of England, after all they’ve won the bloody thing in living memory unlike the home side.

Some teams having to travel so much has made a farce of the tournament
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22431 on: July 8, 2021, 06:00:31 pm »
Denmark were inferior without any shadow of a doubt. After the first half they mustered 2 shots total in 75 minutes. England absolutely dominated the game.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22432 on: July 8, 2021, 06:02:22 pm »

If we played Real Madrid in the CL semis, and even if Real Madrid were the better team, we'd be gutted if we lost the game to a winner from a blatant dive like that.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #22433 on: July 8, 2021, 06:07:55 pm »

Would be nice if he'd postpone it a week, we can't all just take a day off at the drop of a hat like that. Saying that, I would probably get paid time and a half so that's a bonus at least!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22434 on: July 8, 2021, 06:10:14 pm »
Would be nice if he'd postpone it a week, we can't all just take a day off at the drop of a hat like that. Saying that, I would probably get paid time and a half so that's a bonus at least!

Yeah next week is my last week in the ‘office’ before some time off. I’ve got shit to do, could do without the bank holiday.

Come in Italy I guess.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22435 on: July 8, 2021, 06:11:25 pm »

There is a word for this. See no phobia?  Xenophobia?

All of Italy is not made up of ultras, pretty wild seeing a mod here wielding such a wide brush
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22436 on: July 8, 2021, 06:11:30 pm »

Some teams having to travel so much has made a farce of the tournament
I also dont understand why it suddenly became  a ‘homer’ for England at a near capacity Wembley for all the semis and final, given the increasing level of delta variant infection and travel restrictions. Because we’re an island nation with a high level of vaccination? Whatever, it’s hardly been a level playing field, and Denmark clearly felt the weight of that if they were knackered in the second half.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22437 on: July 8, 2021, 06:13:27 pm »
I also dont understand why it suddenly became  a ‘homer’ for England at a near capacity Wembley for all the semis and final, given the increasing level of delta variant infection and travel restrictions. Because we’re an island nation with a high level of vaccination? Whatever, it’s hardly been a level playing field, and Denmark clearly felt the weight of that if they were knackered in the second half.

Id null and void it

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #22438 on: July 8, 2021, 06:22:09 pm »
Id null and void it

;D

Fromola has already branded it the asterisk Euros if England win it ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22439 on: July 8, 2021, 06:24:46 pm »

Absolutely kidding yourself. We're extremely partisan so automatically give our players the benefit of the doubt. We do it without thinking. There are penalties we've won where we justified a small contact that we would not have justified for another club (especially if it happened against us) or (some people) for England.

That's what I don't get about the complaints of pundits and commentators being partisan. Of course that are, they're bloody English most of them. And ex-players. AND ev-England players!!!

Unless it's ridiculously blatant, like when that dane got absolutely SMASHED in the jaw (accidentally) and on the replay the commentary was rubbishing it being any more serious than some shoving and what everyone was doing, only to go utterly silent mid sentence when the forearm smash to the jaw was shown (literally just tailed off and came back a few seconds later talking about something else), I find it hard to give a crap.

It's sport. If you have a dog in the derby you are not going to see things impartially.