Author Topic: Prince Phillip has died  (Read 37109 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Prince Phillip has died
« Reply #360 on: April 9, 2021, 09:27:13 pm »
Not a prank.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/prince-philip-prank-queen/

Ah right, interesting.  I remember the article vaguely back when I still read newspapers.  Think it popped up in the Mirror, but might be wrong.  I knew he did official duties and such in the uniform but clearly got the context wrong. 

To me they still came across as a close couple though.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: April 9, 2021, 09:38:45 pm »
Ah right, interesting.  I remember the article vaguely back when I still read newspapers.  Think it popped up in the Mirror, but might be wrong.  I knew he did official duties and such in the uniform but clearly got the context wrong. 

To me they still came across as a close couple though.

I always thought of them as another Victoria-Albert couple, but luckier than the original to have been together for much longer. I don't get the sheer amount of venom being directed at him. If it's to do with the royalty business, it's the Queen who runs the Firm, in the manner originated by George V. If it's to do with his casual racism, it's no worse than other members of privileged classes, especially of that era, and he's done a hell of a lot more in substance to warrant nothing more than rolled eyes.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #364 on: April 9, 2021, 10:00:29 pm »
I always thought of them as another Victoria-Albert couple, but luckier than the original to have been together for much longer. I don't get the sheer amount of venom being directed at him. If it's to do with the royalty business, it's the Queen who runs the Firm, in the manner originated by George V. If it's to do with his casual racism, it's no worse than other members of privileged classes, especially of that era, and he's done a hell of a lot more in substance to warrant nothing more than rolled eyes.

It is very simple.

Apparently, Elizabeth’s attraction towards Philip was noted by his uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten, who described their first meeting as “a great success” in his diary.

Philip was 13, Liz was 8.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/prince-philip-death-queen-meet-marriage-b1784485.html

Lord Mountbatten was heavily linked to the Kincara boys home scandal.

Then we have Prince Charles and Jimmy Saville plus Prince Andrew and Epstein.

It would be unfortunate for a family to be associated with three paedophile rings. When you are protected by Royal protection officers and the security services then it goes beyond unfortunate for me. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: April 9, 2021, 10:00:32 pm »

Well I consider myself a British Republican, in the sense I feel the Royal Family has served whatever purpose it once had - that's largely down to the Queen and Prince Philip not exercising the influence and power that, on paper, they have.  But of course, the tourists love them, and the country needs that tourist money, so for the time being at least they'll stick around.

I do feel Philip was something of a national embarrassment, and that his misdemeanours have repeatedly been painted over in the media.  That said, he served in the war, and I think we can all agree that the older royals have made a bigger contribution to society than their younger counterparts. 

Plus, if Philip truly is the kind of guy we all seem to think he is, I could well imagine him shouting at Andrew, "You screaming, bloody nonce!" (allegedly).  He wasn't the kind of man to hold back in private, even if publicly he could say nowt.  He was probably a very hard father to deal with, but equally it's fair to say he has good reason to be disappointed with some of his kids.

I remember a Jimmy Tarbuck joke (probably from a less politically correct age). Prince Charles described his life as a Greek Tragedy.  Prince Philip said, "leave me out of it!"

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: April 9, 2021, 10:09:33 pm »
Well I consider myself a British Republican, in the sense I feel the Royal Family has served whatever purpose it once had - that's largely down to the Queen and Prince Philip not exercising the influence and power that, on paper, they have.  But of course, the tourists love them, and the country needs that tourist money, so for the time being at least they'll stick around.

I do feel Philip was something of a national embarrassment, and that his misdemeanours have repeatedly been painted over in the media.  That said, he served in the war, and I think we can all agree that the older royals have made a bigger contribution to society than their younger counterparts.

Plus, if Philip truly is the kind of guy we all seem to think he is, I could well imagine him shouting at Andrew, "You screaming, bloody nonce!" (allegedly).  He wasn't the kind of man to hold back in private, even if publicly he could say nowt.  He was probably a very hard father to deal with, but equally it's fair to say he has good reason to be disappointed with some of his kids.

I remember a Jimmy Tarbuck joke (probably from a less politically correct age). Prince Charles described his life as a Greek Tragedy.  Prince Philip said, "leave me out of it!"

No.

I don't see service in a war that many ordinary people were forced to participate in as something especially impressive. Apart from that, I don't recognise the "public service" that Liz and Phil have supposedly given.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2021, 10:15:18 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: April 9, 2021, 10:11:10 pm »

Tourists love the buildings and history. The royals do fuck all.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: April 9, 2021, 10:16:07 pm »
I remember a story a few years ago where Philip pranked her.  He had dressed up as one of the guards, with full red uniform and bearskin hat.  The Queen clocked him as she walked by and was photographed tittering to herself.

I'm by no means certain of course, but if he can pull a stunt like that and get that kind of a response, they were probably still very close.

That is a good pic that. If they were still close, it will be bad for her, likely she will pass away soon. My old next door neighbour was full of life, then his wife of 60 years died and he just wasted away, horrible to see, he was so lost without her.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #369 on: April 9, 2021, 10:20:24 pm »
Believer

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #370 on: April 9, 2021, 10:21:23 pm »
When’s the Fresh Prince of California flying back? That’ll be entertaining.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #371 on: April 9, 2021, 10:24:49 pm »
Sasha would be proud

Just cut into that too early, was waiting for the drop.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #372 on: April 9, 2021, 10:27:49 pm »

Sorry but the bolded bit simply isn't good enough.

He was the father of Charles and Andrew and despite Royal protection officers and the security services he allowed them to be involved with paedophiles.

Allegedly calling them a nonce simply doesn't cut it.   
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #373 on: April 9, 2021, 10:33:25 pm »

He was the father of Charles and Andrew and despite Royal protection officers and the security services he allowed them to be involved with paedophiles.

Thing is - nothing at all will be done or actioned until a) they're dead or b) they're incapacitated so are unable to be tried.

Standard Establishment. Always happens.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: April 9, 2021, 10:45:53 pm »
I don't see service in a war that many ordinary people were forced to participate in as something especially impressive.
Yep, my great Uncle was one of two people that died in the sinking of a ship. We think he was shot in the water.
The royals do fuck all.
Some people may suggest that considering what I've posted above PP's actions may have prevented similar atrocities.

Who are the Royal's though? I'm not a Royalist, but I think you check the Queen and PP engagements they have been fairly busy over the years.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: April 9, 2021, 10:52:10 pm »
Yep, my great Uncle was one of two people that died in the sinking of a ship. We think he was shot in the water.Some people may suggest that considering what I've posted above PP's actions may have prevented similar atrocities.

Who are the Royal's though? I'm not a Royalist, but I think you check the Queen and PP engagements they have been fairly busy over the years.

The vast majority of people work for a living. Again, it's the royals getting their arses licked for things that other people are expected to do without fanfare.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: April 9, 2021, 10:53:27 pm »

Any father will scream his sons out in private.  I'm not justifying or excusing any alleged bad behaviour, but Philip would have left them in no doubt what he thought of them. 

I'm not pontificating on the potential scenarios.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: April 9, 2021, 11:00:02 pm »
The vast majority of people work for a living. Again, it's the royals getting their arses licked for things that other people are expected to do without fanfare.
That's different and I'm not being drawn down that route Shaka. KH said they do fuck all. That's not actually correct.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: April 9, 2021, 11:06:57 pm »
That's different and I'm not being drawn down that route Shaka. KH said they do fuck all. That's not actually correct.

Aye.  They do stuff.  It's not stuff that us regular people would equate with "work", in the same way we might not equate footballers earning half a million a week as work.

That's not me justifying them, just clarifying.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #379 on: April 9, 2021, 11:12:34 pm »
Any father will scream his sons out in private.  I'm not justifying or excusing any alleged bad behaviour, but Philip would have left them in no doubt what he thought of them. 

I'm not pontificating on the potential scenarios.

Sorry I really respect you and your posts.

However, bad behaviour doesn't even come close.

Mountbatten, Saville and Epstein are inexcusable.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: April 9, 2021, 11:13:37 pm »
Aye.  They do stuff.  It's not stuff that us regular people would equate with "work", in the same way we might not equate footballers earning half a million a week as work.

That's not me justifying them, just clarifying.

Difference is, if you don't like footballers earnings you can opt out and not go the game, subscribe to Sky Sports etc.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: April 9, 2021, 11:16:28 pm »
No.

I don't see service in a war that many ordinary people were forced to participate in as something especially impressive. Apart from that, I don't recognise the "public service" that Liz and Phil have supposedly given.

Phillip deserves no more or less respect than others who also served in that war. Which is quite a lot.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: April 9, 2021, 11:26:12 pm »
Phillip deserves no more or less respect than others who also served in that war. Which is quite a lot.

He does get more of it though, doesn't he?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #383 on: April 9, 2021, 11:28:52 pm »
He does get more of it though, doesn't he?
Well, depends where you look.  There are people on Twitter saying he was a nazi. Stuff like this is absurd of course, but quite common.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: April 9, 2021, 11:34:22 pm »
No.

It cuts both ways though doesn't it. I don't disagree with your point but at the same time I don't think that the courage of any 20 year old taking part in front line service should be downplayed - whatever their background.

It should be possible to acknowledge both the positives and the negatives of somebody's life. Unfortunately the internet is not particularly conducive to those kind of subtleties. Everything has to either be black or white and everybody needs to immediately know exactly what your position is on that question.     

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: April 9, 2021, 11:36:09 pm »
Fox & Friends host links Harry and Meghan to Prince Philip’s death

A Fox & Friends host linked Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to the death of Prince Philip just minutes after the announcement by Buckingham Palace, saying their recent public comments had “evidently” added to the 99-year-old’s “stress”.

Host Brian Kilmeade immediately raised the issue of the royal couple’s damning interview with Oprah Winfrey, which aired last month while Queen Elizabeth II’s husband was in hospital for heart surgery and treatment for an infection.

In the interview, which made headlines worldwide, the couple claimed a royal family member had debated the skin colour of their first child, Archie, prompting a storm of accusations that the institution was racist.

Mr Kilmeade said: “There are reports that [Philip] was enraged after the interview and the fallout from the interview with Oprah Winfrey, so here he is trying to recover and he’s hit with that.”

He then referenced commentsfrom Piers Moron, who resigned from his UK morning show, Good Morning Britain, after numerous complaints about his criticisms aimed at Meghan and her mental health struggles.

“Piers Moron was saying on his morning show, which he famously walked off of, is like ‘Really?” Mr Kilmeade said, referencing Morgan’s attacks on Harry and Meghan’s interview last month.

“’Your grandfather is in the hospital, you know he’s not doing well, is this really the time you have to put out this interview?’” the host continued.

Mr Kilmeade added: “Evidently, it definitely added to his stress.”

In a statement on Friday afternoon, Buckingham Palace announced: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

The Duke of Edinburgh officially retired from public life in 2017, having spent more than seven decades supporting his wife as her consort in a role which defined his life.

https://www.independent.co.uk
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: April 9, 2021, 11:36:09 pm »
Difference is, if you don't like footballers earnings you can opt out and not go the game, subscribe to Sky Sports etc.

Well as I don't watch football matches for the most part outside of the occasional stream, and as I've never been able to watch a competitive game at Anfield I'd guess I qualify?

Sorry I really respect you and your posts.

However, bad behaviour doesn't even come close.

Mountbatten, Saville and Epstein are inexcusable.

I respect you also.

Mountbatten also did quite a bit for the war, and the IRA dealt with him.

I'm not saying what's inexcusable and what isn't.  What I'm saying is I'm not commentating on what I don't know or is simply alleged. What I will say is - perhaps Philip would have happily burst the bubble, if he himself wasn't trapped inside the bubble of royalty.  It's this weird schism between what a person wants and what is within their means. To an outsider it seems simple.  That's all I can say.

It's all purely speculative.  I'll say no more.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2021, 11:54:46 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #387 on: April 9, 2021, 11:40:22 pm »

What is it with the deifying of war.

Are you really saying that people who served in war but who were part of ethnic cleansing or raped women deserve respect because they fought in a war.

From the man himself.

"It was part of the fortunes of war. We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let off a gun, asking 'Are you all right — are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?' You just got on with it!" when asked about stress counselling for soldiers.

He was a prick.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: April 9, 2021, 11:47:40 pm »
What is it with the deifying of war.

Are you really saying that people who served in war but who were part of ethnic cleansing or raped women deserve respect because they fought in a war.

From the man himself.

"It was part of the fortunes of war. We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let off a gun, asking 'Are you all right — are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?' You just got on with it!" when asked about stress counselling for soldiers.

He was a prick.

Did he do these things?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #389 on: April 9, 2021, 11:55:51 pm »
Did he do these things?

No he just allowed the likes of Jeffrey Epstein, Jimmy Saville and Lord Mountbatten to become friends with his kids.

Despite having the Royal protection officers, MI5, MI6 and the CIA looking out for him.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #390 on: April 10, 2021, 12:11:14 am »

Mountbatten (or Prince Louis of Battenberg before the German Battenberg-Hess by Rhine family living in the UK Anglicised their name in WW1) was also involved in a coup plot against Wilson's government by a group of right-wing businessmen, press barons and aristos who hated having a Labour government. He was to be the post-coup figurehead.

Fucking wanker.
Well...... can we not go into fiction? It doesn’t help.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #391 on: April 10, 2021, 12:17:33 am »
Well...... can we not go into fiction? It doesn’t help.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/mar/15/comment.labour1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4789060.stm

Draw your own conclusions about the seriousness of intent or level of involvement, but it's not total fiction.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: April 10, 2021, 12:35:20 am »
Prince Phillip has had the piss taken out of him all day whereas DMX has had tributes pour in from all sides. Funny how these things work, a rapper receiving more respect than a royal.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2021, 01:09:08 am »
Only the US Masters on the telly. Suits me

All I can find at the moment, golf or Prince Phillips death.

Over pampered posh folk getting shitloads of money for doing sweet fuck all, and Prince Phillips death.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2021, 01:48:07 am »
Maybe some people empathise because they lost a husband due to Covid and have some form of empathy towards the queens loss?

Just a guess like, far be it from me to spell it out to you.
that's kind of my point, we have had days when there 2000 deaths in this country, they weren't wearing black ties, dresses and suits then.

I get it that the Queen's husband has died but don't see the need for this collective outpouring of grief over it. Far more important things going on in my opinion for the government to effectively shut down
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #395 on: April 10, 2021, 01:54:00 am »
Elton John’s composing a somber ditty as we speak.

Remember the b-side on English Rose, the one about Mother Theresa?

Sandels In The Bin
We are Liverpool!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: April 10, 2021, 02:28:08 am »
that's kind of my point, we have had days when there 2000 deaths in this country, they weren't wearing black ties, dresses and suits then.

I get it that the Queen's husband has died but don't see the need for this collective outpouring of grief over it. Far more important things going on in my opinion for the government to effectively shut down

Personally, I agree that the government will use this moment to try and smuggle all manner of bad news out to the country. Without a shadow of a doubt, because they are bastards to a man.

But anybody scratching their head as to why Philip is a big deal, you don't really know much about British servility.  It's the Queen's fucking husband.  The longest serving monarch in British History, and people are wondering why the death of her husband is such a big deal?  Bloody Hell, I really must be behind the times in some way if I can see what an impact it makes where others do not.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2021, 05:14:39 am »
I've just put the telly on and BBC1 and BBC2 are still both showing the same programme about him
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2021, 06:01:41 am »
I think a 73 year old marriage is something that should be respected, I think his service both during conflict and to charity is also something that should be respected.  That's as far as it goes for me.  The coverage shouldn't be a surprise, if you didn't expect this I don't know what to tell you.

Some of the comments here are vile to be honest, it's actually taken longer to compose them than just letting it be. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2021, 06:49:26 am »

Personally, I agree that the government will use this moment to try and smuggle all manner of bad news out to the country. Without a shadow of a doubt, because they are bastards to a man.

But anybody scratching their head as to why Philip is a big deal, you don't really know much about British servility.  It's the Queen's fucking husband.  The longest serving monarch in British History, and people are wondering why the death of her husband is such a big deal?  Bloody Hell, I really must be behind the times in some way if I can see what an impact it makes where others do not.

What is the impact? Its purely a ceremonial impact with no real world effect.