Author Topic: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool  (Read 74738 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool
« Reply #520 on: July 26, 2021, 09:02:49 am »
We did play a teenager from non-league football though, so if Davies had been fit surely he would have played.
The teenager had been brought up to play the same way as our first team and had trained alongside his teammates.

As I understand it Preston play with a back three and probably a deeper defensive line than we do (disclaimer: I've never watched any on their games but Sepp van den Berg was playing as a wing-back for them).  I assume Klopp felt he needed more time to adjust but I guess we'll never know if he was ever close to making his debut as the injuries took any lingering chances away.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: July 26, 2021, 09:27:24 am »
All kinds of detective work going on in relation to Ben Davies then.

Not being funny but the fella got an injury and the manager didn't have the option of using him as the season unfolded. He's played a few pre-season minutes in a Liverpool shirt, and that's it - if the thread's not just fun, I don't see the point in it being open. If you feel like you need to be negative or critical in threads all over the forum, I dunno - any chance you could have a think of how you might bring some more joy into your lives?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: August 4, 2021, 11:24:09 am »
Funny to see things unfold on this. Looks like you lot might have been more right than me on it.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: August 4, 2021, 11:49:08 am »
Funny to see things unfold on this. Looks like you lot might have been more right than me on it.

Do you remember Klopp’s comments when he signed? It was around not really ever targeting players like this. Surely that was a bit of a red flag?

He probably got given him as a desperate attempt to try to sign a centre back and he wasn’t good enough.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #524 on: August 4, 2021, 11:49:33 am »
Really feel for him not even getting a chance in the first team.  Looked a very decent player in the Championship.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: August 4, 2021, 11:50:59 am »
Fucking weird signing to be honest.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: August 4, 2021, 12:08:06 pm »
Not good enough, don't think it's weird, we saw first hand that he was lacking quality once we signed him and he never got a sniff.

Not sure why that's weird.

Transfer didn't work out. We took a gamble given our circumstances.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #527 on: August 4, 2021, 12:08:29 pm »
Do you remember Klopp’s comments when he signed? It was around not really ever targeting players like this. Surely that was a bit of a red flag?

He probably got given him as a desperate attempt to try to sign a centre back and he wasn’t good enough.

"I think it’s probably clear that in a normal transfer window, without any issues, we would not look at Preston if there’s a player for us or something like that. It’s not really likely.”

He almost alluded at the fact him being  a local player played a part in it too!

"But since we saw him and since our situation got clearer and clearer – the problems we had – when we saw him we got really excited about it and thought, ‘Wow.’ He’s a boy who played his whole life for Preston, is around the corner pretty much. We see the potential really."

But yes, all in all, a strange situation, to me it just reads as being a case of taking advantage of a situation where they could get a cheap ‘plan b’ option from close by.

Maybe with Covid there where issues with travel and concern with Kabak in that sense maybe, hence the ‘local’ aspect of the signing?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: August 4, 2021, 12:14:00 pm »
Not good enough, don't think it's weird, we saw first hand that he was lacking quality once we signed him and he never got a sniff.

Some signings get at least some time on the pitch and then are deemed not good enough. He doesn’t seem it based on training.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: August 4, 2021, 12:14:46 pm »

Aren’t the scouts paid to see if someone is good enough before signing them? It was a weird signing.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: August 4, 2021, 12:34:56 pm »
Aren’t the scouts paid to see if someone is good enough before signing them? It was a weird signing.
If it were that easy, nobody would ever make a bad transfer. But when the fee is low, the risk is non existent and the potential to make more in selling them, than you spent in buying them. Thats likely.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: August 4, 2021, 12:38:11 pm »

Mate, based on that logic, every transfer would be a success. Of course they're paid, but there are also lots of risks involved. Sometimes those risks are worth taking in certain circumstances. This is one of them, and not a risk we would usually take in normal situations. And not everybody translates whatever strengths they had from previous club to the current for various reasons.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: August 4, 2021, 12:40:29 pm »
For a new signing to not even get a single minute on the pitch is bizarre though. We might not even make the money back we paid for him either.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: August 4, 2021, 12:49:20 pm »
For a new signing to not even get a single minute on the pitch is bizarre though. We might not even make the money back we paid for him either.

You order a pair of shoes online, you think they're worth buying given the price. You get them in person, and it's crap, not what you expected.. You never put them on.

It's not bizarre, you took a risk, and it didn't work out.

You don't need to give him a minute on the pitch if he's getting rinsed in training and lacking quality in certain areas.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #534 on: August 4, 2021, 12:55:08 pm »

I'd be stunned if we don't make a profit on him.

The price he was available for will have played a role in the decision to sign him as well, because it mitigated the risk significantly. If he came in and showed the ability to raise his level to where we need, great. If he doesn't, well then you sell him on and at the very least you get your money back - but probably make a couple of million profit. Not a bad scenario in a business sense across a six month period.

Personally I would've liked to have seen him get a go, not least because he looked like he had some pace about him, and we badly lacked that last season.

Good luck to him whatever happens anyway.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline 5-times-Phill

• Main Stander
« Reply #535 on: August 4, 2021, 01:00:14 pm »
At the time we were playing centre mids at centre half and I think one of them had just been injured (fab). We didn’t even trust Philips at the time.
We absolutely had to bring another centre half but obviously didn’t want to spend any money.

In the end between injuries and whatever else Klopp put his faith in the inexperienced lads he’d had all year and not the inexperienced lad he’d had in bits and pieces since Jan.

Thought personally we’d sell Philips and keep Davies as cover but good luck to him whatever happens.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: August 4, 2021, 01:05:59 pm »
You order a pair of shoes online, you think they're worth buying given the price. You get them in person, and it's crap, not what you expected.. You never put them on.

It's not bizarre, you took a risk, and it didn't work out.

You don't need to give him a minute on the pitch if he's getting rinsed in training and lacking quality in certain areas.

Don’t know why your fuming mate, it’s bizarre  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: August 4, 2021, 01:07:00 pm »
Don’t know why your fuming mate, it’s bizarre  ;D

I'm not fuming, I'm bored at work  ;D

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: August 4, 2021, 02:21:57 pm »
He's just getting used to Klopp's expectations and our training methods. Be patient.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #539 on: August 4, 2021, 05:28:12 pm »
£2.1 million for a centre back, when we needed one (okay circumstances meant he never played). It didn't work out, but it was risk free as it's almost certain we'll make a profit on him.

Exactly as said when he was signed, why not?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #540 on: August 4, 2021, 10:34:16 pm »
Maybe with Covid there where issues with travel and concern with Kabak in that sense maybe, hence the ‘local’ aspect of the signing?

I honestly think he was the fallback in case Kabak fell through.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #541 on: August 4, 2021, 11:15:19 pm »
I honestly think he was the fallback in case Kabak fell through.

I think so too. It was the easiest deal to do of all the irons we had in the fire, got him in and then tried to get Kabak (and/or Caleta-Car or was that bollocks?).

Wonder if we’d have seen anything of him had we not signed Kabak?

Anyway, if he moves on this window, good luck to him. He’ll have learnt a lot training with our squad, hopefully he’ll do well wherever he ends up.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: August 9, 2021, 09:40:48 pm »
EEEEEEEEEYYYYYY.

Like Adam Lallana in a hall of mirrors.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #543 on: August 10, 2021, 07:54:55 am »
Nice to see him get a few minutes. At least he can say he's played for Liverpool at Anfield now!

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: August 15, 2021, 05:34:14 pm »
Going to Sheffield United on loan.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #545 on: August 15, 2021, 05:36:15 pm »
Going to Sheffield United on loan.

Close to £1m loan fee, apparently.

A bonus if they get promoted was also mentioned but that might be in the c.£1m.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: August 15, 2021, 05:37:37 pm »
All the best to him.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #547 on: August 15, 2021, 05:46:30 pm »
Yep. Sell him next year when the market is better.

Win win
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #548 on: August 15, 2021, 06:27:09 pm »
Has actually worked out alright for him to be fair. I know he’s a Preston boy but he’s got time at liverpool training with top players and has now moved to a better championship club because of it

Good luck to the lad

Offline Kasper

• Main Stander
  • Bonjour mon petit bureau de change.
« Reply #549 on: August 16, 2021, 02:54:32 am »
It's quite simple, really; he was brought in as emergency cover for Nat and Rhys. A £500k buy in for a potential £50M+ prize (for getting to the group stages of the Champions Leauge the following season). And it paid off, even thought we didn't need him.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: August 16, 2021, 01:17:23 pm »
Let's hope he wins them promotion and we get a decent fee when the market recovers.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Philby

• Main Stander
  • Where were you in Istanbul?
« Reply #551 on: August 20, 2021, 07:22:57 pm »
Julian Ward is being talked up as the whizz-kid who made the hugely lucrative and successful Ben Davies deal happen.

Tipped as a possibile successor to Laptop Warrior Michael Edwards.

Top tip: If Edwards does move on just steam off the E, D and S from the back of your jersey. Simple.

Offline Philby

• Main Stander
  • Where were you in Istanbul?
« Reply #552 on: August 30, 2021, 09:18:21 am »
ACTIVATE!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: August 30, 2021, 09:23:14 am »
Highly lucrative?

Yeah, ok.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: August 30, 2021, 12:30:08 pm »
Highly lucrative?

Yeah, ok.

It will probably be quite profitable, to be fair, from the loan fees and when he’s sold.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #555 on: August 30, 2021, 01:33:29 pm »
Has he played for them yet? How’s he doing?

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #556 on: August 30, 2021, 02:43:45 pm »
Has he played for them yet? How’s he doing?

Now appears to have started Sheffield United's last 2 league games;

Luton Town 0-0 Sheffield United

Sheffield United 1-2 Huddersfield Town

Played the full 90-mins in both games

Sheffield United are currently in 23rd place (2nd from bottom) in the Championship.
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #557 on: September 17, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »
Ben does not appear to have been included in the previous 2 Sheff. Utd league squads. Interestingly Jack Robinson appears to have played Centre Back for their last 2 games (according to BBC/transfermarkt)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:37:59 pm by Dudek savessssss.........! »
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2021, 01:42:17 pm »
Ben does not appear to have been included in the previous 2 Sheff. Wed. league squads. Interestingly Jack Robinson appears to have played Centre Back for their last 2 games (according to BBC/transfermarkt)

Sheffield United.

Jokanovic said: “Ben Davies, soon, he has only made two sessions after the international break and after two sessions he can be soon ready to return. He has a calf problem, we need to have him recover. When he came to us, he hasn't played a lot. He's a work in progress, he will be in the right conditions soon, maybe the next game."
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #559 on: July 19, 2022, 12:04:00 am »
Apparently he’s going to Rangers soon.
🔥97🔥