Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3487393 times)

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #64360 on: November 26, 2021, 12:10:41 am »
Honestly stuff like this why I’ve avoided this thread. Guessing you only leave the house for food and work?

Isn't it unbelievable shite.. Was away in southern Spain for a week and it did me the world of good. I did everything I was told, got my vaccination, wore my mask and kept distance. I'm not going to apologise or feel any sort of way about it. Fuck all the doom merchants. You are worse than the virus.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:15:26 am by darragh85 »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64361 on: November 26, 2021, 12:19:59 am »
Isn't it unbelievable shite.. Was away in southern Spain for a week and it did me the world of good. I did everything I was told, got my vaccination, wore my mask and kept distance. I'm not going to apologise or feel any sort of way about it. Fuck all the doom merchants. You are worse than the virus.

You must be drunk.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #64362 on: November 26, 2021, 12:27:04 am »
As I was typing that she let a fucking ripper go, hence why I added the farting bit ;D

;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #64363 on: November 26, 2021, 02:41:54 am »
Carl Bergstrom on this new variant hitting the news, just to give some perspective to the coverage.

People are asking what I think about the B.1.1.529 variant that is rapidly increasing in frequency in South Africa.

It certainly merits close monitoring.

That said: I believe the hockey-stick graphs from yesterday are in error. We are nowhere near the delta peak prevalence.

While some degree of immune escape is possible, and the presence of the E484K mutation is suggestive of change in that direction, immune escape alone cannot explain the rapid the increase in prevalence. If that's not some of founder effect, it must have higher transmissibility.

Given everything we know at this stage, I'd be very surprised if the current mRNA vaccines did not continue to offer strong protection against severe disease and death from B.1.1.529.
I'm more concerned about it sweeping through areas that have not been able to acquire vaccines.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1464058581502738435

We're very fortunate to have our boosters and vaccination program but the need to get vaccines to other countries is still not being met. Hopefully antivirals will help as they become available too but if anything seeing new variants go around the world among the unvaccinated should be encouraging governments able to step up some more to do that.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64365 on: November 26, 2021, 05:20:29 am »
Anyone had the 3rd booster jab yet ?

Mine is in Jan but a few people I know have really struggled with it and it has made me abit nervous if honest 🤢

I had mine a while back, just felt a bit off for a day, similar to when I had my initial doses.  Paracetamol and rest, good as gold after 24 hours.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64366 on: November 26, 2021, 07:01:08 am »
We shouldn’t really be going abroad for any reason.
So the other week you were demanding the right to buy a booster so you can queue jump, and now you're telling the rest of the country they're not entitled to some sunshine?

This virus has really brought out the worst in people.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64367 on: November 26, 2021, 07:17:09 am »
So the other week you were demanding the right to buy a booster so you can queue jump, and now you're telling the rest of the country they're not entitled to some sunshine?

This virus has really brought out the worst in people.

Oh thats what you think is the worst in people is it? Trying to ensure we dont get the Virus by sacrificing a summer holiday now the worst thing a person can be concerned about? Fucking hell you have your priorities all over the place.

Lets not forget how the worst variant ended up here in the first place.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64368 on: November 26, 2021, 07:39:56 am »
Oh thats what you think is the worst in people is it? Trying to ensure we dont get the Virus by sacrificing a summer holiday now the worst thing a person can be concerned about? Fucking hell you have your priorities all over the place.

I think his point was more that the Tory attitude of wanting to skip the queue ahead of people who need something more due to age and.or vulnerability by paying for something and then having the gall to tell people who have been looking forward to a holiday for 2 years who have adhered to the rules for all of that time are somehow being selfish or have their priorities realigned isn’t particularly endearing.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64369 on: November 26, 2021, 07:46:57 am »
We shouldn’t really be going abroad for any reason.

Best thing I have done recently is gone to Cyprus, gave my mental health a right boost. And I'll tell you something, I felt far far safer there than I feel here. They still have strict mask rules in all places, covid passes needed to go anywhere, not even allowed into a shop or a bar without a mask. Contrast that to the who gives a fuck UK. My son caught it in school.

Maybe we shouldn't go abroad, but that is only because WE are the plague carrying rats of Europe.

As for how the worst variant got here, that was nothing to do with holiday travel, that was all about a PM who refused to close the borders to certain countries to secure a trade deal. The movement between the UK and India/Pakistan is mainly, from the people I know from that region, all about visiting family.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:50:15 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64370 on: November 26, 2021, 08:16:45 am »
I think his point was more that the Tory attitude of wanting to skip the queue ahead of people who need something more due to age and.or vulnerability by paying for something and then having the gall to tell people who have been looking forward to a holiday for 2 years who have adhered to the rules for all of that time are somehow being selfish or have their priorities realigned isn’t particularly endearing.

I wasnt ever going to deny anyone anything. The reporting at the time was that there was loads of boosters available but we were not getting through them with enough pace and my feeling was that if there are people who dont want it then I do and we should have that option.

However, boosters are picking up, the age range gets smaller, the 6 month gap is clear and I am thus happy to wait and if offered the chance to purchase one, I wouldnt.

My opinion on wanting one privately was fully based on the feeling that they were being passed up.

Also, whats with the Tory accusations? Maybe I should label everyone who says its worse than the virus or as some anti vax, right wing nut job?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:32:26 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #64371 on: November 26, 2021, 08:17:14 am »
That’s a huge exaggeration.

12 months ago we’d barely vaccinated anyone, we were in a national lockdown and it was all incredibly grim. Today there’s been news of a variant which may, or may not evade the vaccine(and if it does we don’t know how much it will evade it) which may or may not be transmissible enough to cause a problem.

I get the fear whenever something like this comes up but the context is always important.

I was talking more about the panic being similar to 12 months ago when there was concern about Delta and whether it would escape vaccines etc rather then the actual situation itself.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64372 on: November 26, 2021, 08:19:19 am »
Best thing I have done recently is gone to Cyprus, gave my mental health a right boost. And I'll tell you something, I felt far far safer there than I feel here. They still have strict mask rules in all places, covid passes needed to go anywhere, not even allowed into a shop or a bar without a mask. Contrast that to the who gives a fuck UK. My son caught it in school.

Maybe we shouldn't go abroad, but that is only because WE are the plague carrying rats of Europe.

As for how the worst variant got here, that was nothing to do with holiday travel, that was all about a PM who refused to close the borders to certain countries to secure a trade deal. The movement between the UK and India/Pakistan is mainly, from the people I know from that region, all about visiting family.

Yes and we flocked to India on mass and thats how the Kent variant ended up there. Us fucking up a place is just as important or a concern as the opposite way.

Loads did visit family, but again a part of a holiday.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64373 on: November 26, 2021, 09:08:01 am »
I was talking more about the panic being similar to 12 months ago when there was concern about Delta and whether it would escape vaccines etc rather then the actual situation itself.

The panic was completely justified a year ago

It's very strange the govt have acted so quickly regarding the red list. It must literally be the first time they've acted like this in the entire pandemic. They must have received some.very serious warnings. Hopefully turns out to be ok
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64374 on: November 26, 2021, 09:26:48 am »
If the rich nations had donated enough vaccines to the poorer nations, we would lesson the chance of variants happening.

Typical selfish actions.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #64375 on: November 26, 2021, 09:31:49 am »
If the rich nations had donated enough vaccines to the poorer nations, we would lesson the chance of variants happening.

Typical selfish actions.

I was under the impression that the issue with the SA vaccine rollout was lack of demand rather than supply

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64376 on: November 26, 2021, 09:37:20 am »
I was under the impression that the issue with the SA vaccine rollout was lack of demand rather than supply

Do you know what their uptake is?

Variants happen anyway, so it should be perfectly expected.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64377 on: November 26, 2021, 09:39:27 am »
Do you know what their uptake is?

Variants happen anyway, so it should be perfectly expected.

I thought only about 25% or so vaccination rates in SA, although they have had a lot of infection there.

I would guess a big issue in SA and southern Africa in general would be the high HIV rates, as immune suppression will provide a good environment for new variants to develop.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64378 on: November 26, 2021, 09:44:09 am »
With the view on holiday travel I don't think it is correct to hold some view of moral superiority over individuals who do something which is perfectly legal and follow all rules to minimize the risk of infection as much as possible. If ones opinion is not to travel at all that's perfectly fine, but that doesn't give you a position to call those who do wish to travel as selfish.

We are going to be in this position for a long long time so it's better to learn measures to best combat the risk than hunker down and wait for it all to pass, however many years that takes. If you don't wish to travel yourself that's fine, but don't judge those that do (unless they don't follow the rules to reduce risk in order to make their own lives more convenient)

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64379 on: November 26, 2021, 10:04:48 am »
Nah, this is more like her

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U6AMDEMXlco" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U6AMDEMXlco</a>
Ha ha. can't beat a bit of KBW.
How did the first date go Rob  ;)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64380 on: November 26, 2021, 10:15:25 am »
Ha ha. can't beat a bit of KBW.
How did the first date go Rob  ;)

It was probably the 4th date, we were sat in her living room and she kept nipping to the loo, which is right above the living room. In the end, I turned to her and said "its ok to fart in front of me" she looked at me and I said "I can hear you farting through the ceiling"
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64381 on: November 26, 2021, 10:22:38 am »
With the view on holiday travel I don't think it is correct to hold some view of moral superiority over individuals who do something which is perfectly legal and follow all rules to minimize the risk of infection as much as possible. If ones opinion is not to travel at all that's perfectly fine, but that doesn't give you a position to call those who do wish to travel as selfish.

We are going to be in this position for a long long time so it's better to learn measures to best combat the risk than hunker down and wait for it all to pass, however many years that takes. If you don't wish to travel yourself that's fine, but don't judge those that do (unless they don't follow the rules to reduce risk in order to make their own lives more convenient)

I totally agree.

Cannot stand the sanctimony is this thread spouted by some/many.

Get jabbed, follow the regulations and get on with your lives..........What's wrong with that??

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64382 on: November 26, 2021, 10:26:08 am »
It won't be stopping me traveling as and when I can.

Happily went to Italy earlier this month - I'm double jabbed, I wore my mask at all times in the airport (where I distanced) and on the plane, there are better COVID precautions over there, we stayed in our own apartment, etc. etc.

The risk was minimal, and probably less than me getting on a train down to London or going in a bar/pub/restaurant/shop over here given the vast majority don't wear masks or use hand sanitiser.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64383 on: November 26, 2021, 10:49:24 am »
It's just attention-seeking, whether it's RAWK or any other form of social media. If you're double jabbed and take the necessary steps travel to wherever you want whenever you want, except Southern Africa of course!

Brilliant whoever added this 'vaxxed'  ;D Probably done a while back but just noticed.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #64384 on: November 26, 2021, 11:22:52 am »
I thought only about 25% or so vaccination rates in SA, although they have had a lot of infection there.

I would guess a big issue in SA and southern Africa in general would be the high HIV rates, as immune suppression will provide a good environment for new variants to develop.

I’ve certainly read pieces from experts saying the same thing as your second paragraph regarding HIV, AIDS, weakened immune systems and variants.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #64385 on: November 26, 2021, 11:23:03 am »
It was probably the 4th date, we were sat in her living room and she kept nipping to the loo, which is right above the living room. In the end, I turned to her and said "its ok to fart in front of me" she looked at me and I said "I can hear you farting through the ceiling"

Two hearts, right from the start fart...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64386 on: November 26, 2021, 11:26:33 am »
I had mine a while back, just felt a bit off for a day, similar to when I had my initial doses.  Paracetamol and rest, good as gold after 24 hours.

Thats good to hear Hedley we can all handle that !

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64387 on: November 26, 2021, 11:33:53 am »

I'm leaving on a jet plane . . . . . on Sunday for 10 days in the sunshine    8)   :lickin

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64388 on: November 26, 2021, 11:34:17 am »

yes, no issue if the country is open and ready AND you're taking precautions and following local rules. British people can be knobs abroad though if we're honest.

although not a fan of westerners flying to far-flung locations that don't really have the capabilities for a covid surge. just reaks of privilege when locals may not be seeing a jab any time soon. if you're sticking to a resort or are being covid cautious, fair enough.

i can see where the 'no travel during pandemic' view comes from, but aggressive border policies just seem to kick things down the road.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:41:42 am by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #64389 on: November 26, 2021, 11:37:08 am »
After having my positive result, the missus and my parents who i live with had to get tested, missus come back positive parents both negative thankfully!

She's had no symptoms at all but then i told her she did have a dry cough about 12 days ago so maybe i've caught it from her?

5 day left of isolation for me!

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64390 on: November 26, 2021, 11:37:16 am »
Government learning lessons circa 18 months in?

they might have on the surface to seem like a 'strong' and 'decisive' government, but wouldn't be surprised if you can fly to the UK via a third or fourth country from South Africa without anyone batting an eyelid. i think that's where the vigilance needs to be.

also not hugely a fan of the optics of just 'closing borders'. testing is important. assuming this variant doesn't just die out it'll end up on these shores eventually (and more than likely already is here). we need to enhance our testing etc and be ready whilst aiding African countries.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:51:28 am by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64391 on: November 26, 2021, 11:44:09 am »
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1464132156062535689

No sick pay, no workplace safety, no housing support, no investment in social/healthcare (even cuts), no vaccine equity, but let’s close the borders to African countries b/c of a new variant that may already be widespread. Clapping hands sign they’ve done everything they can — to look decisive!

Muge Cevik has been excellent throughout this entire pandemic, definitely worth following if you're on Twitter. These are the people who should be dictating government policy, not the clowns currently in place.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64392 on: November 26, 2021, 11:50:19 am »
have to hope this new variant isn't as bad as it sounds, or just dies itself. vaccine inequity has been a huge issue over the past year and whilst many of us have benefited from two jabs and a booster, much of Africa hasn't.
YNWA.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64393 on: November 26, 2021, 12:27:27 pm »
I totally agree.

Cannot stand the sanctimony is this thread spouted by some/many.

Get jabbed, follow the regulations and get on with your lives..........What's wrong with that??

There are lots of things in life though that can be put under that banner. I mean, should we continue to drive big gas guzzling cars or take multiple holidays despite the effect on the environment, as an example?

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64394 on: November 26, 2021, 12:27:29 pm »
That’s a huge exaggeration.

12 months ago we’d barely vaccinated anyone, we were in a national lockdown and it was all incredibly grim. Today there’s been news of a variant which may, or may not evade the vaccine(and if it does we don’t know how much it will evade it) which may or may not be transmissible enough to cause a problem.

I get the fear whenever something like this comes up but the context is always important.
Agree with this, this is completely different to the emergence of alpha pre-vaccine and emergence of delta early in the vaccine roll out. It's hugely unlikely this new variant would be capable of bypassing immunity completely. It might get around it a bit with regards to infection but even then the important thing is that efficacy against severe disease holds up. It sounds grim with the mutations this one has, but the number of mutations is meaningless, it's what they actually do that counts.

It's still too early for any total panic with this one, the panic is based solely on it's emergence in an area that had very low recent levels of infection. That may still mean this variant has no or very little advantage with transmissibility. South Africa was due a spike in infections, this increase corresponds almost exactly to when their sudden spike began last year - the last week of November. Because of the low levels previous to this, a variant could quickly make up a large proportion of cases helped by a couple of perfectly timed super spreader events and look like it's outcompeting delta. That's where we are now - infections suddenly started to increase (like they did this week last year), they sequenced specifically those sequences from the area with highest increase in infections and found a new variant. Variant looks scary with lots of mutations. Questions now are is it really outcompeting delta or is it an artefact of surge sequencing a particular area, does it have a growth advantage, does it evade immune response? We can infer answers to these by the graphs of prevalence that have come out yesterday but it's not conclusive proof at all for any of these things. We'll just have to wait for more data over the next few days and weeks.

It's hugely encouraging this was found and publicised by the scientists in South Africa so quickly, surveillance is crucial going forward over the next few years. Travel bans like the UK have done are a political necessity for the ruling government (to cover their own arses if it's bad) while more information comes through which should come quickly. UK should also offer support though, you want to encourage countries to report these things quickly which they wont in the future if the only response is a travel ban. South Africa have done exactly what the world complained that China didn't in January 2020. Our response must be different or those complaints against China were just empty.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64395 on: November 26, 2021, 12:43:13 pm »
There are lots of things in life though that can be put under that banner. I mean, should we continue to drive big gas guzzling cars or take multiple holidays despite the effect on the environment, as an example?

No.  I own a small, economical vehicle and have't been abroad in 5 years.  I take my holidays in the UK mostly.

But that is quite different to the Covid situation.  I'm sure that many people obsessed with Covid, haven't given a seconds thought about the impacts of their lives on the environment (fucking it up etc.).

As said by an academic recently (I quoted him in here), Covid 19 is now a minor nuisance to the majority of people in the UK, regarding health impacts.  The only people now in ICU are the unvaccinated and the immune surpressed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 01:57:22 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #64396 on: November 26, 2021, 12:44:21 pm »
Four areas recording rises on Merseyside and once again mine is in there. It's entirely not surprising when considering how people are just not thinking for themselves. While I understand the frustration that people feel in regards of the government, why does it have to come down to just that? I mean wearing a mask on public transport shouldn't need any guidance from government or even the public travel organisations, it should be basic common sense and curtesy to your fellow citizens. But we continue to get huge parts of the country assuming everyone else needs to take action and not themselves. It completely frustrates me but at the same time leaves me entirely not surprised by how much selfishness continues to drive so many people's actions, on a daily basis.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64397 on: November 26, 2021, 12:47:37 pm »
they might have on the surface to seem like a 'strong' and 'decisive' government, but wouldn't be surprised if you can fly to the UK via a third or fourth country from South Africa without anyone batting an eyelid. i think that's where the vigilance needs to be.

also not hugely a fan of the optics of just 'closing borders'. testing is important. assuming this variant doesn't just die out it'll end up on these shores eventually (and more than likely already is here). we need to enhance our testing etc and be ready whilst aiding African countries.

You could also argue we dont have trade deals with most of them either !

Maybe im cynical but law of averages mean you will at some point make the correct call  :)

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64398 on: November 26, 2021, 01:05:35 pm »
Agree with this, this is completely different to the emergence of alpha pre-vaccine and emergence of delta early in the vaccine roll out. It's hugely unlikely this new variant would be capable of bypassing immunity completely. It might get around it a bit with regards to infection but even then the important thing is that efficacy against severe disease holds up. It sounds grim with the mutations this one has, but the number of mutations is meaningless, it's what they actually do that counts.

It's still too early for any total panic with this one, the panic is based solely on it's emergence in an area that had very low recent levels of infection. That may still mean this variant has no or very little advantage with transmissibility. South Africa was due a spike in infections, this increase corresponds almost exactly to when their sudden spike began last year - the last week of November. Because of the low levels previous to this, a variant could quickly make up a large proportion of cases helped by a couple of perfectly timed super spreader events and look like it's outcompeting delta. That's where we are now - infections suddenly started to increase (like they did this week last year), they sequenced specifically those sequences from the area with highest increase in infections and found a new variant. Variant looks scary with lots of mutations. Questions now are is it really outcompeting delta or is it an artefact of surge sequencing a particular area, does it have a growth advantage, does it evade immune response? We can infer answers to these by the graphs of prevalence that have come out yesterday but it's not conclusive proof at all for any of these things. We'll just have to wait for more data over the next few days and weeks.

It's hugely encouraging this was found and publicised by the scientists in South Africa so quickly, surveillance is crucial going forward over the next few years. Travel bans like the UK have done are a political necessity for the ruling government (to cover their own arses if it's bad) while more information comes through which should come quickly. UK should also offer support though, you want to encourage countries to report these things quickly which they wont in the future if the only response is a travel ban. South Africa have done exactly what the world complained that China didn't in January 2020. Our response must be different or those complaints against China were just empty.

100% agree

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #64399 on: November 26, 2021, 01:13:24 pm »
South Africa is a large enough country geographically speaking (5x that of the UK) that one region might have been spared a delta surge and gets one of the new variant without there being much of a difference in transmissibility.
Linudden.