Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1428221 times)

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7320 on: March 4, 2019, 11:42:11 am »
Hard to not feel like we’ve chucked this. Draw at Utd away is acceptable but we absolutely had to win yesterday.

City will be on cloud 9. Trophy in the bank, comeback win in the CL then on top of that seeing us falter and now top? They’ll feel like they can go marching on to the end of the year.

Here’s hoping in 9 games we’ll all be celebrating what we’ve all been craving.

We had to win against West Ham and Leicester. Against rivals,  getting four points, it's success in my eyes. We got four points from Manutd, Everton, Arsenal so far. That is not bad at all.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7321 on: March 4, 2019, 11:52:46 am »
Lots of people seem to give up when the going gets tough. Is that what our fanbase has become ?  Has it fuck. The media are loving it because we were top for so long so its a big story.
City are a great team, but they're struggled to put teams away lately and now De Bruyne is out. They're not unstoppable. We pulled them in before and we can do it again.
Forget Utd away, forget Everton away. Beating Burnley at home will have us at worst 1 point behind with 8 to play. If thats not being in a title race then I really don't know what is anymore
This title race is brilliant, I have the stomach for it all the way but if you want to give it up go right ahead.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7322 on: March 4, 2019, 12:30:57 pm »
Can't see city dropping points until potentially Palace away. That's a month away then it gets a bit mad for them. We need to stay in touching distance and see where we end up. Enjoy the ride or get off now.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7323 on: March 4, 2019, 12:33:30 pm »
If City win all their remaining games (which I don't believe they will), they will have won 14 in a row, and their 2nd half of the season would be 18 wins & 1 loss.

If they manage to accomplish this, they will deserve the title & hats off to them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7324 on: March 4, 2019, 12:38:45 pm »
If City win all their remaining games (which I don't believe they will), they will have won 14 in a row, and their 2nd half of the season would be 18 wins & 1 loss.

If they manage to accomplish this, they will deserve the title & hats off to them.

Yep. 54 points from 57. It would be an incredible achievement.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7325 on: March 4, 2019, 12:39:34 pm »
We have to... HAVE to win our games till they play Palace away. That starts a tricky looking run for them, which will include the CL and FA Cup games in between. They won't get a chance for a breather and it won't be easy. We will regret it massively if we felt sorry for ourselves and dropped points within the next two weeks and found ourselves 3 or more points behind them by April.

It's now our job to keep the pressure on.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7326 on: March 4, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »
You won’t solve a problem by denying it - last week we had posters claiming Utd away was the last of our difficult fixtures. Now Everton was apparently the last of our difficult games. We have spurs and Chelsea to play whilst city (I don’t expect) to have any real problems until spurs and united.

Privately I hope the squad wake up, snap out of whatever comfort zone they are in. The play, the passing, the commitment has been unfocused, lethargic and the big players are missing. Totally the opposite of what you see in title winners.

Our best player is a defender, our second best is the goalie. The problems are going forward and breaking teams down, something i never expected to have to deal with under klopp.

I’ve done my own fag packet probabilities and can’t see city losing another game. 5 games would be as many as united have lost this year so far, and city are a far better team than that.
 Will have to end up cheering City on in Europe and hope that distracts them.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #7327 on: March 4, 2019, 12:46:30 pm »
They want the CL as a priority this season. When they have to make tough choices ahead of key games they will do it to favour getting to the final of the CL. If they manage both successfully then they'll deserve it. Our job is to keep the pressure on.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7328 on: March 4, 2019, 12:49:14 pm »
9 games to go, all to play for.

Neither us or City will win all 9, so we just need to perform as we know we can, and take this fantastic opportunity to end the title drought.

Weirdly, it may hinge on how we both do in the CL. They are likely to go through and we may not and that may not be the worst thing in the world.

Offline Kundale

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7329 on: March 4, 2019, 12:52:22 pm »
This team is not a finished article. Klopp needs time. He does not seem to trust his midfield. He seems to be taking not to lose rather than going for win  (this is what I get from his midfield selection and subs). and our front three seems disjointed after the change of system.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2019, 12:54:03 pm by Kundale »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #7330 on: March 4, 2019, 12:54:57 pm »
I can't help but appreciate the irony of these two headlines side-by-side on the BBC Football page :)

Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7331 on: March 4, 2019, 12:55:01 pm »
Our best player is a defender, our second best is the goalie. The problems are going forward and breaking teams down, something i never expected to have to deal with under klopp.

Have you been asleep all season long? We've been breaking teams down all season long. More so this season than in prior years because of the front three we have, more sides have committed to using the same approach as it's their best way of getting a result. Playing an open game is futile against us, sitting deep against us gives you somewhat of a shot of getting a result. We've prepared for this all season long, that doesn't mean that it will work every single time.

The problems are being clinical when the chances are minimal. We've scored the same amount of goals in the league so far in comparison to last year. You can't create 20 chances in every match but when you do, you have to be clinical. We weren't against Everton, we weren't against Leicester. We were poor completely against United and should have done better.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7332 on: March 4, 2019, 12:56:56 pm »
I can't help but appreciate the irony of these two headlines side-by-side on the BBC Football page :)

Bit different situations though.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7333 on: March 4, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »
We had to win against West Ham and Leicester. Against rivals,  getting four points, it's success in my eyes. We got four points from Manutd, Everton, Arsenal so far. That is not bad at all.

Agree but after those dropped points this Ev match was a must win. Frankly they’re shite too we should have put them away yesterday 100%.

Anyway on to the next game.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7334 on: March 4, 2019, 01:01:56 pm »
Bit different situations though.

Clearly.

It's still funny, though.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #7335 on: March 4, 2019, 01:04:22 pm »
Klopp may have got his tactics and sub wrong but I question the mentality and fighting spirit of the players. Since going top, our players have been scared and there is a lack of urgency. That is the reason we are now relying on Man City to drop points now. That is also the reason we have lost the last 3 or 4 finals that we have been in.

Robertson saying now the pressure is on City. Hope he is right but the pressure is also on us. We need to win the next 9 games and hope Man City draw at least once. Lets see how our players handle the pressure now.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7336 on: March 4, 2019, 01:04:35 pm »
Clearly.

It's still funny, though.

Its clearly an attempt to cane Klopp. Just like the wind comment, they are doing what the media do, which is work up fans and be the manipulative sacks of shite that they are.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7337 on: March 4, 2019, 01:06:47 pm »
9 games to go, all to play for.

Neither us or City will win all 9.

We'll have to come very close to doing that in order to win the title. We need 95 points in my view. That's always been the number in my head this season. If City manage to match or top that then fair fucks.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7338 on: March 4, 2019, 01:07:10 pm »
Its clearly an attempt to cane Klopp. Just like the wind comment, they are doing what the media do, which is work up fans and be the manipulative sacks of shite that they are.

You think the BBC deliberately placed those two stories together to wind people up?

Please tell me that's not what you think.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7339 on: March 4, 2019, 01:09:28 pm »
You think the BBC deliberately placed those two stories together to wind people up?

Please tell me that's not what you think.

No, but the being top in March comment was put up there in lights to make Klopp stupid. I have heard it already when asked who wants to be top in March and the answer is everyone. We have lost our lead so they want to make Kloppo look stupid.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7340 on: March 4, 2019, 01:10:44 pm »
KDB pulled his hammy yesterday? And no word on how long Fernandinho's out for.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7341 on: March 4, 2019, 01:10:55 pm »
No, but the being top in March comment was put up there in lights to make Klopp stupid. I have heard it already when asked who wants to be top in March and the answer is everyone. We have lost our lead so they want to make Kloppo look stupid.

I'm not sure that's their motivation. Their sole motivation is almost certainly "more clicks"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7342 on: March 4, 2019, 01:14:14 pm »
I'm not sure that's their motivation. Their sole motivation is almost certainly "more clicks"

Yes, by making our manager look stupid. Picking out comments like that and the wind comment are all about appealing to the fucking racist morons that are in the majority in this country because thats the only way they can get them to their site.

Pick up a comment, increase the bantz.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7343 on: March 4, 2019, 01:23:36 pm »
One thing I will say is I wish our players would cut out the social media promises.

I’ve seen Robbo and Trent both posting some twitter status about fighting the the death. Just fucking get on with it then and see where we are at the end of the season? Never fails to wind me up when you’re already in a bad mood following a poor result and one of the players makes some twitter post about doing something which there should be zero fucking doubt they’d be doing anyway.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7344 on: March 4, 2019, 01:24:54 pm »
One thing I will say is I wish our players would cut out the social media promises.

I’ve seen Robbo and Trent both posting some twitter status about fighting the the death. Just fucking get on with it then and see where we are at the end of the season? Never fails to wind me up when you’re already in a bad mood following a poor result and one of the players makes some twitter post about doing something which there should be zero fucking doubt they’d be doing anyway.

Don't pay attention to it since it winds you up so much.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7345 on: March 4, 2019, 01:26:17 pm »

Maybe they are doing it in an effort to encourage some fans many of whom have already seemingly given up.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7346 on: March 4, 2019, 01:27:35 pm »
Maybe they are doing it in an effort to encourage some fans many of whom have already seemingly given up.

And there are plenty of us who aren't bothered by the comments. If it bothers anyone then don't read it. They aren't egregious comments but because people are emotional everything is an issue

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7347 on: March 4, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »
To be honest I think we were doing a better job of things pre-christmas when the pressure was more on city. Obviously not ideal but I like that they are under focus now, we need to twat Burnley and keep the pressure on. More than confident they will slip again and we will be there to catch them. No fucking way we are letting these corrupt, cheating twats get away with this one.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7348 on: March 4, 2019, 01:37:27 pm »

I liked Trent and Robertson’s response. Same as Van Dijk.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7349 on: March 4, 2019, 01:43:29 pm »
More examples of the media's manipulation. The Beeb appealing to the bantz idiots in this country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47439976

Fuck the Beeb.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7350 on: March 4, 2019, 01:52:32 pm »
More examples of the media's manipulation. The Beeb appealing to the bantz idiots in this country.

Fuck the Beeb.

Interesting, and indeed telling, that there's no author for that piece [Save for the nod to mcnulty's analysis at the end]. Pure clickbait [and yes I clicked it, I'm the disease not the cure]
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7351 on: March 4, 2019, 01:54:47 pm »

Fuck the Beeb.

It's the same crap the media did with Benitez after he called out United and Ferguson in his presser. We won all of our games after that press conference except one [the 4-4 v Arsenal] but the media made it seem like that he was cracking under pressure.

It's pure nonsense

Klopp's demeanor hasn't changed at all regardless of the points we've had at any stage.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7352 on: March 4, 2019, 01:57:29 pm »
It's all intended for those who frequent social media and the quick click variety fan. Everything is so simple, teams are either bottling it or feeling the pressure. It comes through having football in the media 24 hours a day. It's getting to the point now that actually reading a good article is so rare, you feel as if you should frame it, what should be the norm is now a rare event. They are all looking to feed the frenzy rather than make a good well researched piece of analysis. Sadly the football journalist have been retired and this is what we're left with.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #7353 on: March 4, 2019, 02:02:34 pm »
1/4 season left and huge numbers of our fans seem to have given up.  It's astonishing and disappointing in equal measures and if people think this doesn't transmit across to the players in various ways then they're mad.

In some ways, it's harder for us to win the Prem than anyone else.  Almost like England in the six nations, every other team's biggest game of the season seems to be against us.

It's 99% certain that City do not win all of their last remaining games.  I don't think Man U will fight quite as hard against City as Everton did against us but they won't roll over either.  City have injuries when we hav players coming back, they have FA Cup and Champions League distractions as well (we have the latter too).  So whilst I was disappointed yesterday, very actually, and I slated Milner and Lallana in particular when they came on as they were dire, we're still massively in this.  Yes, it's in their hands, but it feels way too early to me for that to be decisive right now.  I mean, it was in our hands yesterday at 4.15pm so these things can change extremey quickly.  Lots of twists and turns still to come ladies and gentlemen.

Having said that, if yesterday and today are bad, can you imagine what this place will be like next Sunday if City have won and we don't beat Burnley....

Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #7354 on: March 4, 2019, 02:04:49 pm »
It's all intended for those who frequent social media and the quick click variety fan. Everything is so simple, teams are either bottling it or feeling the pressure. It comes through having football in the media 24 hours a day. It's getting to the point now that actually reading a good article is so rare, you feel as if you should frame it, what should be the norm is now a rare event. They are all looking to feed the frenzy rather than make a good well researched piece of analysis. Sadly the football journalist have been retired and this is what we're left with.
Same for decent football commentators.  They were almost openly cheering on Everton yesterday, it was disgusting.  The biggest potential story and source of easy, lazy comment was always going to be Liverpool not winning.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7355 on: March 4, 2019, 02:09:36 pm »
If Jürgen didn't speak another word from now until the end of the season, we'd still have the same group telling us 'he's feeling the pressure'. The same group that includes "journalists" who have never set foot inside Anfield telling us how 'you can sense the pressure getting to the fans inside Anfield'.
The desperation from these people is laughable. I think they feel the more they talk about pressure, the more it might get to us. There's fuck all else for them to point out about our team when discussing weaknesses, which probably why they keep banging on about pressure.
It's the same when Rafa gave his planned speech. The same crowd jumped on it like flies on shit. Suddenly Rafa was 'cracking up', 'the pressure had got to him'. It doesn't matter that we went on to play some of the best football ever seen in the premier league, the narrative was set.

We've seen it all before. The closer we get to winning the league, the more the neutral's arses go. I hope in this run-in we can finally put to bed the myth that the neutrals want us to win the league or certain teams won't roll over for man city one week and put it up to us the next. We are hated as a football club the world over, we're fine when we have the likes of hodgson as manager or when we're in 4th/5th place. But as soon as we get close to winning something, the mask slips time and again.

This is something Jürgen should be on. Fuck everyone else, circle the wagons. It's something the likes of Kenny and ferguson did brilliantly. Telling the players 'Everyone hates us, they're all out to stop us, it's us against the world, what are you going to do about it?'. Looking back, it didn't do their teams much harm did it?

We need to stop being so nice.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7356 on: March 4, 2019, 02:12:08 pm »
Same for decent football commentators.  They were almost openly cheering on Everton yesterday, it was disgusting.  The biggest potential story and source of easy, lazy comment was always going to be Liverpool not winning.

I'd obviously rather be top like, but this is what I think people mean when they talk about the pressure being on the leaders rather than the chasers. We've now 'bottled it' or wobbled or dare I say slipped. That's the narrative now, and even if we win all 9 it could be till the end of the season. So we've, kind of, got nothing to lose.

However, if city wobble again once or twice then the stage could just be set for us to nick ahead again with fewer games to go. I can definitely see an argument of why that suits us better. If I were scripting when I'd want us to take the lead other than immediately and with a ten point gap, it'd probably be with 3 games to go. There's going to need to be a lot of nerve holding for us to do that mind.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #7357 on: March 4, 2019, 02:16:29 pm »
It's the same crap the media did with Benitez after he called out United and Ferguson in his presser. We won all of our games after that press conference except one [the 4-4 v Arsenal] but the media made it seem like that he was cracking under pressure.

It's pure nonsense

Klopp's demeanor hasn't changed at all regardless of the points we've had at any stage.

That Rafa press conf. was in early Jan. After that he drew 3 on the bounce. The media did pile on pressure after that presser though.

The fans need to keep calm. From my point of view its the fans abroad on social media that are losing their minds and opposition fans trolling. There is still alot to play for. Whoever thought we were going to go 10 wins on the bounce until the end of the season are delusional. Anything can happen. City only managed 1-0 vs a poor bounemouth side. A bad day infront of goal for them and we are back in.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7358 on: March 4, 2019, 02:20:32 pm »
We're gonna win the league. :wave
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7359 on: March 4, 2019, 02:24:04 pm »
That Rafa press conf. was in early Jan. After that he drew 3 on the bounce. The media did pile on pressure after that presser though.

The fans need to keep calm. From my point of view its the fans abroad on social media that are losing their minds and opposition fans trolling. There is still alot to play for. Whoever thought we were going to go 10 wins on the bounce until the end of the season are delusional. Anything can happen. City only managed 1-0 vs a poor bounemouth side. A bad day infront of goal for them and we are back in.

Cheers for the correction, we still went on to win an incredible amount of games, including trouncing United at their ground.

We didn't win the league because we drew 11 games that year, not because Rafa was under pressure.