Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1428740 times)

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2960 on: January 20, 2019, 11:36:04 am »
Thankfully Utd arent that smalltime, theyre going for 4th too.

I mean in terms of atmosphere. Goodison under the lights can be ok at times, but certainly won't be any advantage if a result for them would favour us

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2961 on: January 20, 2019, 12:12:03 pm »
City will beat Huddersfield 6-0 or 7-0.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2962 on: January 20, 2019, 12:14:25 pm »

Probably

But we did what we needed to do again. All we need to do is come out of each gameweek at worst in the same situation as before.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #2963 on: January 20, 2019, 12:41:10 pm »
I remember predicting that scoreline to us in the 88 fa cup final
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #2964 on: January 20, 2019, 12:43:44 pm »
More than likely unless Huddersfield can sneak the first goal against the run of play from a set piece and get the crowd behind them.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2965 on: January 20, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
Huddersfield have made 6 changes. It has the look of a bottom half Championship team.

Quite a lot of their players in the starting XI i've not even heard of. I wasn't even aware they had a striker called Diakhaby. Mbenza is one of their wide attackers. Again never even seen a glimpse of him ever.

Odd line-up with a lot of unknowns, who probably can't believe their luck that they're playing a PL game.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2966 on: January 20, 2019, 01:02:58 pm »
Huddersfield have made 6 changes. It has the look of a bottom half Championship team.

Quite a lot of their players in the starting XI i've not even heard of. I wasn't even aware they had a striker called Diakhaby. Mbenza is one of their wide attackers. Again never even seen a glimpse of him ever.

Odd line-up with a lot of unknowns, who probably can't believe their luck that they're playing a PL game.

They can’t be worse than Delpoitre or Mounie. Not going to put myself through this one.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #2967 on: January 20, 2019, 01:08:20 pm »
They can’t be worse than Delpoitre or Mounie. Not going to put myself through this one.

Perfect, sunny winter day at my place, so a long walk will suffice. Good luck for those intending to watch the game. I can't even bear myself to watch those cheating bastards, like ever, unless we're playing them  :wave
Linudden.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2968 on: January 20, 2019, 01:23:48 pm »
I'll give it a watch until they go a goal up.

So that'll be about 10 minutes at best.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #2969 on: January 20, 2019, 05:00:34 pm »
This thread could be renamed to ‘Manchester City chasing us’ if Spurs lose...
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #2970 on: January 20, 2019, 05:39:12 pm »
After Southampton, Hudderfield today the second team to rest their key players against City.

They are also really lucky with their cup draws, hope this will change.

Oh and with their Everton game moved back I can genouinly see the Everton fans cheering City in their own stadium

I think one positive is that the top 4 race is tightening up, so at least teams like United and Chelsea will put up a fight against them.

Just have to keep winning !!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:40:54 pm by Larse »

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #2971 on: January 20, 2019, 05:44:55 pm »
Everton game will be worked against us. At least in February, they will have attempted to get something. It would have been a bit early in the season for them to be throwing it away (players and fans).

As we saw in 2014, it being played in April is a guaranteed win for City. The atmosphere was something else. I know it's usually not much anyway, but it was eerily quiet that day. Players fed off that atmosphere and duly lost.

Fully expecting the same sort of atmosphere when they meet this season, and the thing is they were at least a pretty decent outfit that season in 2014. They're not very good now, so imagine this lot playing in an half-arsed away? It should be a 4 or 5 goal win for City. Similar to how Spurs put up 6 there in December.

I've brushed that game off and see that as a guaranteed win for City. Genuinely think it would be one of the biggest shocks in recent history if it was anything other than that.

100% this. Everton’s cup final is against us at Goodison. They will completely up their game a few levels in that match but put in a totally half arsed performance against City. It’s just typical Everton and everyone knows it. Just watch the atmosphere, it will be disgusting to watch. At least when Chelsea and Arsenal go to the Etihad they will give it a go and not give a shite about how it helps us if they get something from the game.
YWNA

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2972 on: January 20, 2019, 05:46:48 pm »
After Southampton, Hudderfield today the second team to rest their key players against City.

They are also really lucky with their cup draws, hope this will change.

Oh and with their Everton game moved back I can genouinly see the Everton fans cheering City in their own stadium

I think one positive is that the top 4 race is tightening up, so at least teams like United and Chelsea will put up a fight against them.

Just have to keep winning !!!
Can just imagine them scoring a last minute winner at Goodson with the celebrations from the players greeted with a crescendo of boos
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2973 on: January 20, 2019, 05:59:07 pm »
Even with the lucky win today - spurs probably aren’t in the discussion.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2974 on: January 20, 2019, 06:03:54 pm »
100% this. Everton’s cup final is against us at Goodison. They will completely up their game a few levels in that match but put in a totally half arsed performance against City. It’s just typical Everton and everyone knows it. Just watch the atmosphere, it will be disgusting to watch. At least when Chelsea and Arsenal go to the Etihad they will give it a go and not give a shite about how it helps us if they get something from the game.

And we'll up our game too, which will be far to good for them, their crowd baying for throw ins and the like

So looking forward to the crushing of their enthusiasm (again)
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2975 on: January 20, 2019, 06:05:08 pm »
Spurs weren't overtaking us AND city. With Son away , Kane out and maybe Ali injured now, they're battling for fourth spot.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2976 on: January 20, 2019, 06:57:10 pm »
You look at their remaining fixtures and can’t see too many dropped points. They will have to postpone a couple though. If we can win on those weekends it does at least increase the pressure a little even if you’d expect them to win the games in hand.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2977 on: January 20, 2019, 07:05:05 pm »

No probably about it, they are not in the discussion.

I am amazed people are still even mentioning them in the context of the title race. They have zero chance of winning the league.

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2978 on: January 20, 2019, 08:29:13 pm »
Tell you something lads and lasses last year we along with everyone else where a million miles away from city last season we could only watch on in awe. This time around everyone is looking at us in awe even city.  I for one would not swap anything with anybody right now whether that be players ,manager, fixtures or goal difference. Whatever happens from here on in is going to be blockbuster.  City will be hoping that we lose top spot and sink but even if we do lose top spot this team will keep fighting until the very end and that provides me with lots of comfort and pride and a belief that this team and manager are going to sweat blood and tears for the cause and allied with the fact that Kloppo is a shrewd operator and a wily old character. And the players aren't bad either. Ever since I saw him walk past ol big ears in Kiev I saw disappointment but I saw a determination to succeed for the players the fans and the club. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:30:51 pm by PAULG »

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2979 on: January 20, 2019, 08:43:15 pm »
What worries me about City's fixture list is that the games i look at, and see potential for dropped points are in the last 6 or so weeks.

Palace (a), Brighton (a), Burnley (a), Spurs (h), Leicester (h). I think they're all tricky games but the issue will be that it's at the point of a season when a lot of sides drop off and take an early break when they have nothing to play for. Palace and Burnley really need to be in relegation dogfight come then, but i get the feeling they both could be relatively safe by then. I'm expecting Cardiff to drift away as the season goes on. Brighton will be stuck in mid-table and Spurs should have top 4 sealed by then.

It would have been preferable if the games they have in the next 6 weeks were towards the end of the season, as most of the games don't look much of a test anyway.

Their last 6 weeks schedule looks tough but you just have to hope we get full effort from the opposition, and that they're all not on an early summer break.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2980 on: January 20, 2019, 08:51:54 pm »
You look at their remaining fixtures and can’t see too many dropped points. They will have to postpone a couple though. If we can win on those weekends it does at least increase the pressure a little even if you’d expect them to win the games in hand.

While this of course has elements of truth, it was fixtures piling up that did last time. All of a sudden they played a tough cup game that went to penalties, a game against a half decent palace side and a repeat of their Leicester fixture. What looked 'easy' on paper suddenly felt a lot trickier on tired legs and minds.

I can't see that the same doesn't happen again at least once. Probably twice if they progress to the next stage of the champions League. And at least once again if they add to their current fixture list again (so champs semis/fa cup semi etc etc).

If they drop points once more, and we continue as we have, they'll all but give up. I know we're all saying it but we've just got to keep tapping away at the wins. They'll blink again if we do.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Mali1

• No chance. Not all. Never. Hope died long ago, left dangling pitifully and listlessly from my tree of despondency and despair. Oh yes.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2981 on: January 20, 2019, 09:06:42 pm »
It's not about how easy / difficult their fixtures are. But the number of games will demand for focus and concentration and this could wear them out mentally. Look at the fixture comparison below. History showed that City dropped points when they played 8-9 games in a month.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2982 on: January 20, 2019, 09:10:56 pm »
February really looks like it'll be a crucial month.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #2983 on: January 20, 2019, 09:14:50 pm »
That Newcastle away definitely has potential. Freezing cold night under the lights, geordies sensing blood, Rafa orchestrating things. 1-1.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2984 on: January 20, 2019, 09:20:31 pm »
If they continue Postponing City's games, their games keep piling up and we keep on winning, Maybe City will give up chasing by March  :)

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2985 on: January 20, 2019, 09:40:06 pm »
The Champions League. That is what's going to be City's downfall in the league, if they're to have one at all. Once they thrash Schalke on aggregate, we can only hope they draw someone decent. A Real Madrid/Barcelona/PSG would be ideal. Then losing the first leg minimally or drawing it would be great. They might take their eyes off the league in preparation for the second leg. Guardiola might rest payers, even though their second XI is probably better than most sides in the league. Ideally, that process can be replicated again if they make it past the quarter final.

Of course they might just drop points anyway in the league because they still have difficult matches (as do we) to come, but I just have this feeling that they'll want the Champions League just that bit more.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2986 on: January 20, 2019, 09:45:35 pm »
End of season schedule ,

Liverpool                                              Manchester City

tues 22nd Burton away

sat 26th Burnley home FA cup

wed 30th Leicester home                     tues 29th Newcastle away

mon 4th West Ham away                     sun 3rd Arsenal Home

sat 9th Bournemouth home                 sun 10th Chelsea Home

sat 16th FA cup 5th round

tues 19th Bayern Home                       weds 20th Schalke away

sun 24th Manchester united away         Sun 24th league cup
                                                                    final chelsea/ Spurs    #

wed 27th Watford Home                       tues 26th West Ham Home

(From this point onwards tv times have not been decided)

sat 2nd Everton away                         sat 2nd Bournemouth away

wed 6th Everton away (likely date due to league cup, atmosphere might be a tad different ) 

sat 9th Burnley home                          sat 9th Watford home

wed 13th Bayern away                        tues 12th Schalke home

sat 16th Fulham away                      sat 16th  fa cup quarter final  (or united vs city )   

sat 23rd INTERNATIONAL BREAK !!!!!

Sat 30th Spurs Home                           sat 30th fulham away

sat 6th Southampton away                 sat 6th    fa cup semi or Cardiff Home

9/10 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 1ST LEG

13th Chelsea home                              13th sat  Palace away

16/17 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 2ND LEG

sat 20th Cardiff away                          sat 20th Spurs home

sat 27th Huddersfield Home                sat 27th Burnley away

30/1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 1ST LEG

sat 4th Newcastle away                      sat 4th Leicester home

7/8 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 2ND LEG

sun 12th Wolves Home                       sun 12th Brighton away

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL SAT 1ST
No time for caution.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2987 on: January 20, 2019, 10:12:54 pm »
Remaining fixtures:

January 2019
Sat 12th 15:00 Brighton & Hove Albion A W 1-0
Sat 19th 15:00 Crystal Palace H W 4-3
Wed 30th 20:00 Leicester City H
February 2019
Mon 4th 20:00 West Ham United A
Sat 9th 15:00 Bournemouth H
Sun 24th 14:05 Manchester United A
Wed 27th 20:00 Watford H
March 2019
Sat 2nd 15:00 Everton A
Sat 9th 15:00 Burnley H
Sat 16th 15:00 Fulham A
Sat 30th 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur H
April 2019
Sat 6th 15:00 Southampton A
Sat 13th 15:00 Chelsea H
Sat 20th 15:00 Cardiff City A
Sat 27th 15:00 Huddersfield Town H
May 2019
Sat 4th 15:00 Newcastle A
Sun 12th 15:00 Wolverhampton Wanderers H

City remaining fixtures:

January 2019
Mon 14th 20:00 Wolverhampton Wanderers H W 3-0
Sun 20th 13:30 Huddersfield Town A W 3-0
Tue 29th 20:00 Newcastle United A
February
Sun 3rd 16:30 Arsenal H
Sun 10th 16:00 Chelsea H
Sat 23rd 17:30 Everton A
Tue 26th 20:00 West Ham H
March
Sat 2nd 15:00 Bournemouth A
Sat 9th 15:00 Watford H
Sat 16th 15:00 Manchester United A
Sat 30th 15:00 Fulham A
April
Sat 6th 15:00 Cardiff City H
Sat 13th 15:00 Crystal Palace A
Sat 20th 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur H
Sat 27th 15:00 Burnley A
May
Sat 4th 15:00 Leicester City H
Sun 12th 15:00 Brighton & Hove Albion A

Two down, 13 15 more to go!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:37:00 pm by Caligula? »

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2988 on: January 20, 2019, 10:27:53 pm »
13?

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2989 on: January 20, 2019, 10:34:20 pm »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2990 on: January 20, 2019, 10:54:59 pm »
As of now, we need to win 14 of them.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2991 on: January 20, 2019, 11:15:10 pm »
Fulham and Huddersfield are mathematically out of it.
Win our next two and Cardiff are also out.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2992 on: January 20, 2019, 11:16:15 pm »

Step by step. :D

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this was golden...
« Reply #2993 on: January 20, 2019, 11:23:47 pm »
One danger, if we were to go 10 points ahead with 2 extra games played, is it possible we could think it's game over and drop the vital 4 points?

The next game after the missed UnitedvCity game is Spurs...
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this was golden...
« Reply #2994 on: January 20, 2019, 11:25:28 pm »
And we would be safe from relegation... ;)

45 points available

5 points to be safe from relegation
16 points to finish in the top half / finish above Everton
19 points to finish in top 6 (probable Euro qualifying)
27 points to surpass our best season since we last won the title
30 points to finish in top 4/5 (CL qualifying)
42 points to win the League

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:39:48 pm by Anthony »
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #2995 on: January 21, 2019, 12:59:37 am »
One danger, if we were to go 10 points ahead with 2 extra games played, is it possible we could think it's game over and drop the vital 4 points?

Not a danger for me. Not with Klopp. We've shown absolutely no signs of inconsistency thus far and haven't taken anything for granted. If we ever find ourselves in that situation, I'm sure he'd ram it down the players' throats even more.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2996 on: January 21, 2019, 01:35:16 am »
Win the next game, all the other scenarios are redundant at this point.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2997 on: January 21, 2019, 01:37:35 am »
Step by step. :D

.... oooh baby

Jurgen gets to you, giiiirrrrlll
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2998 on: January 21, 2019, 01:41:31 am »
.... oooh baby

Jurgen gets to you, giiiirrrrlll

Haha :D

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #2999 on: January 21, 2019, 01:51:03 am »

Don't see why that would even be a possibility. Surely we'd all be well aware that they're quite likely to win the games in hand.