Author Topic: Preseason tour summer 2018 - sponsored by Findus (other products are available)  (Read 358553 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Preseason tour summer 2018
« Reply #1480 on: July 13, 2018, 03:36:06 pm »
There is one statistic that isn't widely known but is nonetheless quite true........ in his entire career as a football manager Klopp's total spend on goalkeepers has been £6m (and £4m of that was on Karius.)

In my view Klopp has a distorted view of Karius's capabilities based on the emotional reason that they are both from the same area of Germany (Black Forest) and his stubborn-ness in sticking with the liability that is Karius will eventually cost Klopp his job.

He has previous regarding his inability to buy (or even recognise) a decent keeper as many Germans believe that Dortmund lost out to Munich for the simple fact that Dortmund had a crap keeper at the time Munich had a superb one.

I don't want the same thing happening to us.  You can have 10 Peles on the pitch but they would be cancelled out by a keeper who insists on giving away soft goals.

Goalkeeping stats aside, Karius is not popular within the squad - Lovren in particular would be only too pleased to drive Karius to the airport - and is detrimental to the squad's morale.    He needs to be replaced immediately for that reason alone.

there's been some 'special' posts on the forum today, this one takes the cake. Especially that bit bolded. You do know they had a very good record vs Munich while he was there right? Maybe you should look into it, I think they may have actually beaten them a few times and beaten them to a few trophies too.

That crap goalie he had at Dortmund by the way was anything but crap for the majority of his time under Klopp.  He had zero reason to buy another goalie apart from a back-up while he was there, hence he didn't.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1481 on: July 13, 2018, 03:37:17 pm »
He has previous regarding his inability to buy (or even recognise) a decent keeper as many Germans believe that Dortmund lost out to Munich for the simple fact that Dortmund had a crap keeper at the time Munich had a superb one.
I'll wait for Die Nullfuenfer to verify this. However, could it not be that they 'lost out' to Bayern due to them signing their best player every summer? Not sure it was all Weidenfeller's fault.

EDIT: ^ there it is :D

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1482 on: July 13, 2018, 03:38:47 pm »
There is one statistic that isn't widely known but is nonetheless quite true........ in his entire career as a football manager Klopp's total spend on goalkeepers has been £6m (and £4m of that was on Karius.)

Completely made up

In my view Klopp has a distorted view of Karius's capabilities based on the emotional reason that they are both from the same area of Germany (Black Forest) and his stubborn-ness in sticking with the liability that is Karius will eventually cost Klopp his job.

Please re-word to "in my distorted view, Klopp has a view"

You realise Dortmund won a couple of league titles with Klopp in charge, right?

I don't want the same thing happening to us.  You can have 10 Peles on the pitch but they would be cancelled out by a keeper who insists on giving away soft goals.

I'm not surprised you're giving away soft goals if you have four 77 year old Pele's in defence.

Goalkeeping stats aside, Karius is not popular within the squad - Lovren in particular would be only too pleased to drive Karius to the airport - and is detrimental to the squad's morale.    He needs to be replaced immediately for that reason alone.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1483 on: July 13, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »

There are a couple of seriously specific allegations made

Care to provide your proof?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1484 on: July 13, 2018, 03:40:06 pm »
Quote from: eAyeAddio link=topic=339677.msg16156821#msg16156821 date=

We all have our opinions on Karius's ability, some even have an opinion on his body language, but this takes the biscuit.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1485 on: July 13, 2018, 03:40:10 pm »
I'll wait for Die Nullfuenfer to verify this. However, could it not be that they 'lost out' to Bayern due to them signing their best player every summer? Not sure it was all Weidenfeller's fault.

EDIT: ^ there it is :D

;D

and indeed, that is also a good point - they only started losing out when them buggers decided the way to sort out these pesky Dortmunders and put them in their place, was to take their top two star players from them! Defo not Roman Weindenfeller's fault!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1486 on: July 13, 2018, 03:42:53 pm »
RAWK quote stats aside, eAyeAddio is not popular within the forum - Baba Yagu in particular would be only too pleased to drive him to the airport - and is detrimental to the forum’s morale. He needs to be replaced immediately for that reason alone.

Adios posts about his time in the music business were pretty good.

Maybe the hallucinogenics have caught up with him.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1487 on: July 13, 2018, 03:58:39 pm »

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1488 on: July 13, 2018, 03:58:56 pm »
Lovren loves driving. He drove Salah to the Liverpool awards and some fans mistook him for Salah's 'driver'. He comes across as a good friend.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:00:53 pm by one of my previous "Brian Blessed" names, please. »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: July 13, 2018, 04:10:07 pm »

In all my minutes of studying body language I've never seen an image that typifies the divisions in our dressing room so aptly. To the layman everything may seem fine, but do not be fooled reader, those empty smiles hide a festering hatred.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:13:07 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1490 on: July 13, 2018, 04:16:25 pm »
I would say that the concussion is the crux of the matter.

Concussion led to Liverpoole loss in final led to supporters blaming Karius leading to pressure which effects future performance.

This attitude/argument is exactly what drove me to my lengthy post a few pages back in the first place, so apologies that it wasn't fully balanced.

The myth on here that Karius was flawless or even excellent prior to his concussion and it was only the mistakes which followed that have led to question marks over him is astonishing and, for me, disingenuous.

It might have come across that way on here simply because any Karius dissenters were drowned out by a sea of numbers and passive or occasionally outright aggression. But the interest and links to Allison were real. And in reality there are plenty of Liverpool fans who were unconvinced by him. Now undoubtedly a lot of that had to do with his first spell as number one at the back end of 2016. I've acknowledged that I think his second spell at the front end of this year was undoubtedly better. Does that mean it was good enough going forward? Not in my opinion.

Numbers are a funny business. They certainly have their place in football. The issue with them, though, is people tend to only like them and use them when they support their arguments/biases. Numbers apparently aren't applicable to Gini Wijnaldum, for example, because so much of what he does 'can't be measured'. I have sympathy with that argument, even though I do have reservations about the player's general impact on football matches. The issue comes when that defence isn't applied equally to every player, or positive/negative numbers for other players are taken as gospel.

Back to goalkeeping, one of the best studies I've seen in recent months was by Sam Jackson of World In Motion. I posted his graphs in the Progress thread a couple of months back (snip below), or you can still find them not too far down his Twitter feed. Fair play to the guy, he watched every single save, every single piece of distribution, and every single piece of 'sweeping' by every Premier League goalkeepers last season and rated them accordingly based on a number of metrics.

When you combine all of this with Babu's data on dealing with crosses, where both Karius and Mignolet came out well, I essentially think the only major difference between Mignolet and Karius is that speed. I think both are decent goalkeepers, with Karius better suited to us, but like a few other areas of the pitch, they are definitely upgradable in my opinion.

In terms of our goalkeepers overall, neither came out brilliantly, but neither came out horrendously either, which is about what most people would expect from the eye test I would imagine.

The interesting thing for me is that Karius and Mignolet really weren't far apart on every measure: shot-stopping quality & consistency (Karius marginally better), Distribution (Mignolet marginally better), Sweeper-keeping (Karius marginally better). The same applies, IIRC, to Babu's study on how they deal with crosses.

It was just one study of course. But ultimately, from what I have seen across the board, the idea that all or the vast majority of the data point to a brilliant - or even potentially brilliant - goalkeeper in Karius seems to have only snow-balled on here I would say. Sam's study was talked down by a few as being too subjective. That was probably a legitimate point, but equally I'm not sure why an analytics professional would undertake such a lengthy study dishonestly, and you could make that argument for a lot of data out there. And it's not as though Karius came out badly! Like Mignolet, he just didn't come out brilliantly either.

It kinda just supported my viewpoint that they're both a bit 'meh' in slightly different ways, and a team of our standard really needs a goalkeeper with one or two outstanding qualities (whether it's sweeping/distribution like Ederson, or shot-stopping like De Gea), even if he also has one or two weaknesses like our current incumbents.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:18:27 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:21 pm »
What a day for posts.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1492 on: July 13, 2018, 04:51:55 pm »

In all my minutes of studying body language I've never seen an image that typifies the divisions in our dressing room so aptly. To the layman everything may seem fine, but do not be fooled reader, those empty smiles hide a festering hatred.

In one of Peter Jackson's early films - it might be "Dead Alive" - A zombie attacks someone from the side just like that with the same look of barbaric rage that Lovren has on his face there. He sinks his teeth into the guys face, removing his nose. Then completes the headlock, pulls off the guys head. He is later seen eating his brains with a spoon.

Fucking brutal that by Lovren. Karius is lucky to have escaped with his life and face in tact. Brains is questionable. Psuedo-science says he had a concussion and his baywatch video looked a pretty brainless decision to me.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1493 on: July 13, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »

One of the craziest posts I have seen in a long time, just wow.  :o
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1494 on: July 13, 2018, 05:16:17 pm »
Back to the football...

What are we expecting tomorrow - 2 teams mixed up with firsts and reserves/youths, or a firsts team and a reserves/youth team in each half?

Who are back in contention for this one? VVD? Gini? Matip?

What do you think the team(s) is(are) going to be?

My guess for the 1st half:

------------------Ward

Clyne----Matip---------VVD----Robertson

-------------------Fab

-------Gini------------------Naby

Wilson----------Solanke------Lallana

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1495 on: July 13, 2018, 05:56:32 pm »
Gini is not likely to play tomorrow.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: July 13, 2018, 06:02:14 pm »
Gini is not likely to play tomorrow.
Injured or just rested?

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1497 on: July 13, 2018, 06:06:04 pm »

Thanks Lallana. I still remain a Karius fan but that's an excellent post, and thanks to the link back to that previous study. good points.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1498 on: July 13, 2018, 06:45:45 pm »
This attitude/argument is exactly what drove me to my lengthy post a few pages back in the first place, so apologies that it wasn't fully balanced.

The myth on here that Karius was flawless or even excellent prior to his concussion and it was only the mistakes which followed that have led to question marks over him is astonishing and, for me, disingenuous.

It might have come across that way on here simply because any Karius dissenters were drowned out by a sea of numbers and passive or occasionally outright aggression. But the interest and links to Allison were real. And in reality there are plenty of Liverpool fans who were unconvinced by him. Now undoubtedly a lot of that had to do with his first spell as number one at the back end of 2016. I've acknowledged that I think his second spell at the front end of this year was undoubtedly better. Does that mean it was good enough going forward? Not in my opinion.

Numbers are a funny business. They certainly have their place in football. The issue with them, though, is people tend to only like them and use them when they support their arguments/biases. Numbers apparently aren't applicable to Gini Wijnaldum, for example, because so much of what he does 'can't be measured'. I have sympathy with that argument, even though I do have reservations about the player's general impact on football matches. The issue comes when that defence isn't applied equally to every player, or positive/negative numbers for other players are taken as gospel.

Back to goalkeeping, one of the best studies I've seen in recent months was by Sam Jackson of World In Motion. I posted his graphs in the Progress thread a couple of months back (snip below), or you can still find them not too far down his Twitter feed. Fair play to the guy, he watched every single save, every single piece of distribution, and every single piece of 'sweeping' by every Premier League goalkeepers last season and rated them accordingly based on a number of metrics.

In terms of our goalkeepers overall, neither came out brilliantly, but neither came out horrendously either, which is about what most people would expect from the eye test I would imagine.

The interesting thing for me is that Karius and Mignolet really weren't far apart on every measure: shot-stopping quality & consistency (Karius marginally better), Distribution (Mignolet marginally better), Sweeper-keeping (Karius marginally better). The same applies, IIRC, to Babu's study on how they deal with crosses.

It was just one study of course. But ultimately, from what I have seen across the board, the idea that all or the vast majority of the data point to a brilliant - or even potentially brilliant - goalkeeper in Karius seems to have only snow-balled on here I would say. Sam's study was talked down by a few as being too subjective. That was probably a legitimate point, but equally I'm not sure why an analytics professional would undertake such a lengthy study dishonestly, and you could make that argument for a lot of data out there. And it's not as though Karius came out badly! Like Mignolet, he just didn't come out brilliantly either.

It kinda just supported my viewpoint that they're both a bit 'meh' in slightly different ways, and a team of our standard really needs a goalkeeper with one or two outstanding qualities (whether it's sweeping/distribution like Ederson, or shot-stopping like De Gea), even if he also has one or two weaknesses like our current incumbents.

The only problem I have with an analytics professional "rating" goalkeeping actions is whether his knowledge of goalkeeping is up to standard, i.e. does he know enough about the position to "rate" the events.

If he's just collecting data, though, then he's doing nothing that Opta aren't already doing.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #1499 on: July 13, 2018, 08:21:25 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Good video on LFC news with their manager Ryan Lowe. He spent time with us in the academy and is a massive Red and has taken a lot of what he learned with us there. Guess with VVD and Joel back we are closer to two teams with decent centre backs. Can’t believe Sturridge misses this WTF!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1500 on: July 13, 2018, 08:30:16 pm »
The only problem I have with an analytics professional "rating" goalkeeping actions is whether his knowledge of goalkeeping is up to standard, i.e. does he know enough about the position to "rate" the events.

If he's just collecting data, though, then he's doing nothing that Opta aren't already doing.

His method would fall apart under even the most basic scientific scrutiny in terms of data collection though surely?

Opta work in teams of 3 doing the same game and the look for the 3 to have the same events. Where there is a discrepancy where they don't agree, there is a 4th person who reviews it who then adjudicates it. Then post game - a review takes place with another team doing the same without access to the work of the first team and with another adjudicator to review all - this is to make sure the first team while doing it quickly for the live feeds on sites didn't miss anything and to amend things like goals later being given as OGs on review.

The problem with one person doing this is bias. If you have a guy who is an agent for goalkeepers doing it at World In Motion then the problem becomes him assessing his own clients. For example - when assessing the Premier League keepers, he was asked the open question if he had this for keepers in other leagues to compare, his answer was.

Now guess who is a client of World in Motion?

This immediately gives you the problem of conflict of interest. Then you have any of the 187 subconscious bias' which comes into play because he is a human being and not immune to it. For example, he quite openly states in the comments to this process "I never really liked x" "I always liked y" "I think z is a good keeper". So even at the simple step of confirmation bias, it's possible he is setting out to confirm what he believes to already be true. With more people doing the same process, hopefully this bias gets lost in the herd.

So why repeat a job that is already done by opta unless you are not happy with the data they are producing? And if that is the case, why is your data more reliable than a company has done as much as they can to remove bias and conflict of interest compared to this one individual?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1501 on: July 13, 2018, 09:00:44 pm »
His method would fall apart under even the most basic scientific scrutiny in terms of data collection though surely?

Opta work in teams of 3 doing the same game and the look for the 3 to have the same events. Where there is a discrepancy where they don't agree, there is a 4th person who reviews it who then adjudicates it. Then post game - a review takes place with another team doing the same without access to the work of the first team and with another adjudicator to review all - this is to make sure the first team while doing it quickly for the live feeds on sites didn't miss anything and to amend things like goals later being given as OGs on review.

The problem with one person doing this is bias. If you have a guy who is an agent for goalkeepers doing it at World In Motion then the problem becomes him assessing his own clients. For example - when assessing the Premier League keepers, he was asked the open question if he had this for keepers in other leagues to compare, his answer was.

Now guess who is a client of World in Motion?

This immediately gives you the problem of conflict of interest. Then you have any of the 187 subconscious bias' which comes into play because he is a human being and not immune to it. For example, he quite openly states in the comments to this process "I never really liked x" "I always liked y" "I think z is a good keeper". So even at the simple step of confirmation bias, it's possible he is setting out to confirm what he believes to already be true. With more people doing the same process, hopefully this bias gets lost in the herd.

So why repeat a job that is already done by opta unless you are not happy with the data they are producing? And if that is the case, why is your data more reliable than a company has done as much as they can to remove bias and conflict of interest compared to this one individual?

You are illustrating perfectly the problem of relying on data though Babu. Your concern is with the impartiality of the people collecting the data. So to remove human error and the new buzzword 'confirmation bias' you try and error proof it by increasing the number of people collating the data.

So you improve the accuracy of how the data is collected but that completely misses the point. That only works if the criteria you are using to collect the data is correct. That is the nuanced bit.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1502 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:32 pm »

Karius was flawless? Who said that?

The post concussion actions acted as a catalyst, the difference in social media, TAW and Rawk comments pre and post final are evidence of that.

There is definitely someone being disingenuous here, and it's not me.

By the way, you also said that if he was concussed, he should consider suing the medical staff at LFC. Now that you know he was concussed, do you still feel that the medical staff failed in their duty?
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1503 on: July 13, 2018, 11:05:20 pm »
You are illustrating perfectly the problem of relying on data though Babu. Your concern is with the impartiality of the people collecting the data. So to remove human error and the new buzzword 'confirmation bias' you try and error proof it by increasing the number of people collating the data.

So you improve the accuracy of how the data is collected but that completely misses the point. That only works if the criteria you are using to collect the data is correct. That is the nuanced bit.
Honest question Al, do you know how Opta do this?   Do you know what data they collect?

They have an overlay of the pitch and simply touch the screen where something starts and ends then mark what it is (e.g. shot) then add qualifiers like (left foot, big chance, goal, hit post). Then attribute it to a person. When it goes in the goal they mark the point where it enters the goal also on another overlay.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1504 on: July 13, 2018, 11:31:36 pm »
Honest question Al, do you know how Opta do this?   Do you know what data they collect?

Yes I do mate.

They have an overlay of the pitch and simply touch the screen where something starts and ends then mark what it is (e.g. shot) then add qualifiers like (left foot, big chance, goal, hit post). Then attribute it to a person. When it goes in the goal they mark the point where it enters the goal also on another overlay.

That is where it all falls down. Van Dijk is a perfect example, according to Opta winning a defensive header is winning a defensive header. Win the header and it goes on your tally as winning an aerial duel. Except if you know the game you know the difference between Van Dijk winning a header and knocking it down to a team mate and an aimless header that results in another fightball.

Same thing with clearances there is a difference between putting your foot through the ball and aiming a clearance towards your own player. One is a panicked action the other is knowing where to put the ball to initiate a counter attack.

I know that, you know that Opta doesn't.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1505 on: July 14, 2018, 12:41:28 am »
Yes I do mate.

That is where it all falls down. Van Dijk is a perfect example, 1. according to Opta winning a defensive header is winning a defensive header. 2. Win the header and it goes on your tally as winning an aerial duel. Except if you know the game you know the difference between Van Dijk 3.winning a header and knocking it down to a team mate and 4. an aimless header that results in another fightball.

1. Thank fuck for that. Because if they put it as literally anything else, I would be concerned.
2. Only if it actually was an aerial duel.
3. This is counted as an aerial duel won (only if he challenged someone) AND an pass (*qualifier= with head)
4. This is counted as an aerial duel won (only if he challenged someone) AND a clearance. If he isn't challenged it could be marked as a failed headed pass. If it's particularly shit looking, maybe even an error.

The above paragraph by you tells me you don't actually know how Opta record the data Al.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1506 on: July 14, 2018, 02:26:53 am »
Injured or just rested?

Klopp said in an interview on Thursday that the medical staff held Gini out of practice that day, so it wasn't clear if he would be ready to play Saturday. He didn't seem to know what the problem was (and whether or not that was actually true, he didn't seem overly concerned).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1507 on: July 14, 2018, 02:28:33 am »
Klopp said in an interview on Thursday that the medical staff held Gini out of practice that day, so it wasn't clear if he would be ready to play Saturday. He didn't seem to know what the problem was (and whether or not that was actually true, he didn't seem overly concerned).
Probably fitness issue, wasn't at the levels required

Online Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1508 on: July 14, 2018, 06:13:19 am »
1. Thank fuck for that. Because if they put it as literally anything else, I would be concerned. :lmao :lmao :lmao
3. This is counted as an aerial duel won (only if he challenged someone) AND an pass (*qualifier= with head)
4. This is counted as an aerial duel won (only if he challenged someone) AND a clearance. If he isn't challenged it could be marked as a failed headed pass. If it's particularly shit looking, maybe even an error.

The above paragraph by you tells me you don't actually know how Opta record the data Al.

Do Opta measure how often goal posts are moved? If they do, I suspect that they are about to go into overdrive.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1509 on: July 14, 2018, 08:07:00 am »
It's funny how most people who argue about stats in football are actually, often unwittingly, arguing for those stats to be applied sensibly and in context. Fortunately, that's what OPTA seek to do.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #1510 on: July 14, 2018, 08:52:37 am »

:wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1511 on: July 14, 2018, 08:53:45 am »
1. Thank fuck for that. Because if they put it as literally anything else, I would be concerned.

It is numbers without context though Babu.

An aerial duel for example. Winning an aerial duel against a small player from a hurried clearance is rated the same as winning a vital header 5 yards out from a quality cross. Calmly nodding the ball down to a team mate from an aerial duel in the last couple of minutes against someone like Lukaku is rated the same as heading the ball to a team from a token challenge from a lone forward.

Playing keep ball under no pressure whatsoever racks up passes and increases your passing accuracy. That in the real world isn't the same as finding a team mate when you are under real pressure. Passes that open up the game or result in your team mate being put under pressure are measured the same.

As a team we are a perfect example of where the use of stats falls down. For 70 minutes we can utterly dominate a game. Teams sit of us and our defenders rack up big passing numbers because teams are allowing us to have the ball. As soon as we lose it we  press like mad which means a lot of aimless clearances that our centre backs gobble up.

Then when we tire and teams come at us we lack composure. We drop deep we stop playing out from the back the midfield goes missing and far too often we concede late on especially from set pieces.

Then after the game the stats freaks will tell you that our centre backs won the majority of their aerial duels and had high passing numbers. We will be told we have a great defence because we limited the opposition to very few shots and that the stats show that we are just unlucky. It is bollocks.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1512 on: July 14, 2018, 09:38:17 am »
Opta record events on the pitch,  if you want to use them to view just pass accuracy as brilliant or bad that's up to you. People in clubs who do use stats will use the data to help them build models that do take in to account the difficulty and benefit of different types of passes.

How you or someone on twitter view stats or use them isn't optas problem.

Would also be Iinterested in seeing some stats for set piece goals conceded after 70 minutes vs the rest of the league.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:56:57 am by Chris~ »

Online Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1513 on: July 14, 2018, 10:31:13 am »
Opta record events on the pitch,  if you want to use them to view just pass accuracy as brilliant or bad that's up to you. People in clubs who do use stats will use the data to help them build models that do take in to account the difficulty and benefit of different types of passes.

How you or someone on twitter view stats or use them isn't optas problem.

Would also be Iinterested in seeing some stats for set piece goals conceded after 70 minutes vs the rest of the league.

It’s a bit like someone with the reading age of an 8 year old saying words are rubbish cos they don’t describe things properly. At a poets convention.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1514 on: July 14, 2018, 11:05:26 am »
Do we have a game today?

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: July 14, 2018, 11:07:05 am »
Do we have a game today?

Bury away at 3pm.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1516 on: July 14, 2018, 11:42:55 am »
Why is every game on at the same time as an international? Are they just messing with us?

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1517 on: July 14, 2018, 11:59:38 am »
It is numbers without context though Babu.

An aerial duel for example. Winning an aerial duel against a small player from a hurried clearance is rated the same as winning a vital header 5 yards out from a quality cross. Calmly nodding the ball down to a team mate from an aerial duel in the last couple of minutes against someone like Lukaku is rated the same as heading the ball to a team from a token challenge from a lone forward.

Playing keep ball under no pressure whatsoever racks up passes and increases your passing accuracy. That in the real world isn't the same as finding a team mate when you are under real pressure. Passes that open up the game or result in your team mate being put under pressure are measured the same.

As a team we are a perfect example of where the use of stats falls down. For 70 minutes we can utterly dominate a game. Teams sit of us and our defenders rack up big passing numbers because teams are allowing us to have the ball. As soon as we lose it we  press like mad which means a lot of aimless clearances that our centre backs gobble up.

Then when we tire and teams come at us we lack composure. We drop deep we stop playing out from the back the midfield goes missing and far too often we concede late on especially from set pieces.

Then after the game the stats freaks will tell you that our centre backs won the majority of their aerial duels and had high passing numbers. We will be told we have a great defence because we limited the opposition to very few shots and that the stats show that we are just unlucky. It is bollocks.

But Al, that's not Opta's fault.

They are there to collect and distribute data and they do that part quite well. It's just that the majority of people only see the summary statistics and with due reason. For one you have to pay top dollar for the detailed stuff.

But in general though too much information would be impractical for the majority of people so what level of granularity would you propose? Are you proposing that we segment the stats even further and break them down more? Or do we rate/weigh every pass/header etc based on difficulty/situation similar to what we do with xG nowadays?  I know a lot of people who struggle with xG as it is, to do so for other stats would make it even worse....

I can understand how it may not be sufficient for the more enquiring person such as yourself but for the majority of people it may be too much already. Therefore it's up to us to generate context from this and I'm glad that you take those facets under consideration as opposed to taking the info at face value.

However all those things you pointed out in your examples...it's in there. Trust me.

Not all football fans will be as learned as you, and so unfortunately the general stats provided have to be dumbed down for the meantime. It's also somewhat convenient especially if it has to produced and outputted during game time.  But I'd hazard to guess that the clubs' own metrics are more detailed and precise as per your concerns on the matter and that is thanks to Opta's methodology.

In the meantime us mere plebs have to infer from the summary statistics and draw conclusions and, as per most uses of statistics in the real world, it's usually sufficient.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: July 14, 2018, 01:05:53 pm »
Cheers Gents. That's exactly what I was thinking. It would be interesting to know what JK was having a go at on Saturday in the first water break.

I think one of the issues people need to remember about youngsters coming through, and I think it applies to Wilson, is whether they can be trusted to receive the ball under pressure in their own half. The reality is, that Wilson will not just be asked to stretch the defence and only join the play in the final third, but will also be involved in the build-up. Watching the first 20mins against Chester and you could see we were giving the ball away right in front of our back 4, with Woodburn and Wilson most culpable (Warnock in comms referred to it, saying he was playing well getting in behind, but his dropping off game was poor). I know it was the first game of pre-season, etc, etc, but I wonder if that is a concern for JK with some of these young lads.

I couldn't find a specific example, but if you watch this vid of Mo, even though he is playing as the most advanced attacker and he is amazing at creating space for himself, you can see the number of times he has to receive the ball with a man on his back, and his strength in holding him off and keeping the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkXGHwKliLk

2:09 is the perfect example - you have 4 players bombing on, if he loses it our midfield has already been completely vacated, if he retains it we have a great chance of a goal.

I think the important stats we need to look at with Wilson are not necessarily his goals and assists (and expected's) but his possession turnovers, unsuccessful dribbles, lost 50-50s, caught on the ball, etc stats, as without those coming up at upper PL level, he simply won't be trusted to go on the pitch.

This was posted on Monday (what felt like hundreds of pages ago  ::) ) but seeing as I was busy this week I decided to leave it to this weekend to address.

Jumpers, just in case you're still interested here's a touch map for Ryan & Harry. A couple of pointers:

Ball Touch - "Used when a player makes a bad touch on the ball and loses possession.
      Outcome 1 || ball simply hit the player unintentionally. Outcome 0 || Player unsuccessfully controlled the ball."

Dispossessed - Player is successfully tackled and loses possession of the ball.

Take-on - 0: Unsuccessful    1: Successful

If you would like to see them compared to any other player for reference's sake or some other event included let me know.

PS: This is all the event data for Championship and Bundesliga league games for the 207-2018 season. It does not include cup competition or U23. So that's 12 games for Harry and 16 for Ryan
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:18:44 pm by JCB »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1519 on: July 14, 2018, 01:28:30 pm »
But Al, that's not Opta's fault.

They are there to collect and distribute data and they do that part quite well. It's just that the majority of people only see the summary statistics and with due reason. For one you have to pay top dollar for the detailed stuff.

Yeh I agree mate. What gets me though is people using base stats as gospel. For me we should be using the stats and what we see with our eyes to form an informed opinion. There seems to be a groundswell on the forum that stats are infallible and that any opinions are examples of confirmation bias.

But in general though too much information would be impractical for the majority of people so what level of granularity would you propose? Are you proposing that we segment the stats even further and break them down more? Or do we rate/weigh every pass/header etc based on difficulty/situation similar to what we do with xG nowadays?  I know a lot of people who struggle with xG as it is, to do so for other stats would make it even worse....

Even if you tried to analyse every action in a xG kind of way it still wouldn't work. You would still need to watch the game and make a judgement call on whether the action was the correct action in the context of the game. Even xG only gives you an overview. For instance xG supposedly shows the likliehood of a goal but each players xG for me needs adjusting to that players particular skillset. It also needs adjusting for the state of the game and a whole host of other things.[/quote]
I can understand how it may not be sufficient for the more enquiring person such as yourself but for the majority of people it may be too much already. Therefore it's up to us to generate context from this and I'm glad that you take those facets under consideration as opposed to taking the info at face value.

However all those things you pointed out in your examples...it's in there. Trust me.

Not all football fans will be as learned as you, and so unfortunately the general stats provided have to be dumbed down for the meantime. It's also somewhat convenient especially if it has to produced and outputted during game time.  But I'd hazard to guess that the clubs' own metrics are more detailed and precise as per your concerns on the matter and that is thanks to Opta's methodology.

In the meantime us mere plebs have to infer from the summary statistics and draw conclusions and, as per most uses of statistics in the real world, it's usually sufficient.

Again I agree you are absolutely correct people using stats are drawing an inference but somehow they fail to acknowledge that and try and present it as a fact anyone who disagrees with it is just exhibiting confirmation bias.
"Ohhh-kayyy"