Author Topic: Preseason tour summer 2018 - sponsored by Findus (other products are available)  (Read 358561 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Re: Preseason tour summer 2018
« Reply #1280 on: July 11, 2018, 03:38:11 pm »
Do you have a link to the website you got these from please babu?
I mentioned before to someone, they are data files from opta that has been aggregated. But the same data powers every other site that has stats and you can verify individual things in different places like the official PL site, squawka and others if you know how and where to look.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1281 on: July 11, 2018, 03:41:28 pm »
Sturridge just posted that he was playing in a new role called it the "sausage" role, official now we don't see him as a striker
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: July 11, 2018, 03:45:47 pm »
To be fair to Migs he hasn't played with VVD much, who I believe is the main catalyst in our improved defensive displays

Yes, a different footballer standing 15 yards in front of you suddenly gives you a better ability to save near post shots, and catch the ball.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1283 on: July 11, 2018, 03:46:08 pm »
Bit of a self fulfilling prophecy as well isn't it? Try fucking backing the lad rather than giving him dogs abuse for putting a picture of his cat online or dropping a plate at home in the kitchen.

YNWA seems a bit fucking selective for the majority of our spoilt entitled fanbase at the minute....
This is Karius biggest problem. Every keeper will have 2 or 3 moments that can be deemed an error probably per game. A moment of indecision/hesitation. A missed cross. Giving away the ball in your own half. Parrying a shot into danger. Not looking perfect when saving a shot. Closing eyes when being hit claiming a cross. Plus lots of other stuff that actually are big errors.

The target seems to now be for Karius to go through games in pre-season being perfect. This was also the target at the end of last season when he went 19 league games and european games up to the final, statistically made fewer mistakes than most keepers, but it doesn't batter as people don't watch them, don't care if they make mistakes and have lots of highlight reel saves to fall back on if they do.

He's set up to fail. Therefore fail he will. Just remains to be seen if it is spectacularly or not.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1284 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:00 pm »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1285 on: July 11, 2018, 03:52:15 pm »
This is Karius biggest problem. Every keeper will have 2 or 3 moments that can be deemed an error probably per game. A moment of indecision/hesitation. A missed cross. Giving away the ball in your own half. Parrying a shot into danger. Not looking perfect when saving a shot. Closing eyes when being hit claiming a cross. Plus lots of other stuff that actually are big errors.

The target seems to now be for Karius to go through games in pre-season being perfect. This was also the target at the end of last season when he went 19 league games and european games up to the final, statistically made fewer mistakes than most keepers, but it doesn't batter as people don't watch them, don't care if they make mistakes and have lots of highlight reel saves to fall back on if they do.

He's set up to fail. Therefore fail he will. Just remains to be seen if it is spectacularly or not.

No it doesn't? It just requires him not to drop a harmless free kick into the path of somebody for a tap in?

How many 'moments' did he have in the game ALONGSIDE that balls up? Nobody spoke about them.

He also 'statistically' made fewer errors than most keepers, but who cares? If you have a pair of eyes you can see that he nearly cost us in every knockout game in our run to the final bar Porto. Why go off stats when the common sense rule can apply here.

He drops clanger after clanger in big games, and will continue to do so now, he's proven he can't handle pressure, so why will it change now there's MORE pressure on top of him?

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #1286 on: July 11, 2018, 03:56:01 pm »
Sturridge just posted that he was playing in a new role called it the "sausage" role, official now we don't see him as a striker

Wait till Capon see's this...#Sausages

;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1287 on: July 11, 2018, 03:56:02 pm »
If you have a pair of eyes you can see that he nearly cost us in every knockout game in our run to the final bar Porto

What did he do against City?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: July 11, 2018, 03:57:10 pm »
Quote from: BabuYagu

No one expects him to be perfect, people just expect him to be able to catch a ball that is straight at him.

There is a difference between making mistakes that can be debated about, which I think Mignolet does a lot, and making mistakes that really should be fundamental for a goalkeeper.

Karius might not be making as many mistakes as Mignolet but his mistakes tend to be much more bizarre when they happen.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:58:46 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1289 on: July 11, 2018, 03:57:56 pm »
Loads of bad stuff. He does it every game. It is known.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1290 on: July 11, 2018, 03:57:58 pm »
To be fair to Migs he hasn't played with VVD much, who I believe is the main catalyst in our improved defensive displays

And to be fair to VVD, he isn't a miracle solution to goalkeepers.

Fraser Forster played with VVD in the first half of the season at Southampton. Alex McCarthy replaced him when VVD left.

Soton's numbers improved in line with Liverpool's with the switch. Both sides ended up with a keeper who dealt with a higher proportion of crosses, came off his line better, and had good short distribution so they weren't giving the ball away in front of their own goal so often. Therefore the number of shots being faced logically reduced.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:01 pm »

Punches a nothing cross straight into a City player, which allows Sane to tap it in for a very harshly ruled out goal going into half time.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1292 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »
https://instagram.com/p/BlGEWTIh-MT/

Very interesting...

What position did he seem to be playing? Was it some sort of variation on a right-sided, inverted forward?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1293 on: July 11, 2018, 04:01:14 pm »

Very interesting...

He should get off fucking social media, wasting his time thinking up jokes, and devote all his time to making himself fit.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1294 on: July 11, 2018, 04:02:01 pm »

Very interesting...
Amazing how often reading the first 10 comments on things online makes you fear for the path society is on. Racism, homophobic and other derogatory comments aplenty.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1295 on: July 11, 2018, 04:04:24 pm »

Very interesting...

He looked pretty good in segments of the half too, some good passing from deep! OF course, hard to gauge it being a pre season game vs Tranmere. But indeed it will be interesting if he continues to play deeper in the games vs tougher opposition.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: July 11, 2018, 04:04:53 pm »
Amazing how often reading the first 10 comments on things online makes you fear for the path society is on. Racism, homophobic and other derogatory comments aplenty.

Does seem complimentary on there.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1297 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:21 pm »

One of the first ones I saw was saying he gobbles sausage!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1298 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:24 pm »
Our outfield players may miss chances but our overall scoring record under Klopp is impressive so no, my buck will pass Klopp. He has a track record of making players and teams better. I struggle to say the same about our other coach. Best young keeper in the Bundesliga joins Liverpool and suddenly becomes error-strewn. Same handling errors but no solution. Mignolet is bought from Sunderland because of how good he has been but as soon as he joins Liverpool regresses. Both our keepers are now a laughing stock and the man who trains them needs to take responsibility

Or - we keep buying sub-par keepers who either don't fit the way we play, or excelled in a league where generally keepers post big numbers across the board?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1299 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:40 pm »
No it doesn't? It just requires him not to drop a harmless free kick into the path of somebody for a tap in?

How many 'moments' did he have in the game ALONGSIDE that balls up? Nobody spoke about them.

He also 'statistically' made fewer errors than most keepers, but who cares? If you have a pair of eyes you can see that he nearly cost us in every knockout game in our run to the final bar Porto. Why go off stats when the common sense rule can apply here.

He drops clanger after clanger in big games, and will continue to do so now, he's proven he can't handle pressure, so why will it change now there's MORE pressure on top of him?
I think you then missed the entire Karius thread where people wanted to categorise everything as an error, from closing his eyes when being barged claiming a cross, to not coming for some crosses - every week seemed to be a new "he will never make it as a keeper because he does this" post followed by pages of people demonstrating the exact same thing happening to every other keeper.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1300 on: July 11, 2018, 04:08:17 pm »

Maybe they are being removed. 4 out of the first 10 were abusive. Two of them had LFC in there username.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1301 on: July 11, 2018, 04:08:30 pm »
What position did he seem to be playing? Was it some sort of variation on a right-sided, inverted forward?

WTF is an "inverted forward"? :D
Better looking than Samie.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1302 on: July 11, 2018, 04:10:07 pm »
He should get off fucking social media, wasting his time thinking up jokes, and devote all his time to making himself fit.

Did nothing wrong on there. made a joke, big bloody deal.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1303 on: July 11, 2018, 04:10:23 pm »
He was playing more off the front line behind Origi & Wilson. He had good moments but I think the biggest feature to Sturridge's game is his work in the box. Making that space/angle to get a shot off, stuff like that. I think he only had one of two touches in the box last night and that was a friendly against a 4th tier side.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1304 on: July 11, 2018, 04:10:30 pm »
Did nothing wrong on there. made a joke, big bloody deal.

Whoosh!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: July 11, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »
Whoosh!

Hard to tell these days Craig  ;)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #1306 on: July 11, 2018, 04:12:29 pm »

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #1307 on: July 11, 2018, 04:41:25 pm »
He was playing more off the front line behind Origi & Wilson. He had good moments but I think the biggest feature to Sturridge's game is his work in the box. Making that space/angle to get a shot off, stuff like that. I think he only had one of two touches in the box last night and that was a friendly against a 4th tier side.

Can he convert to a deeper role, do you think? He's always been an off the shoulder kind of player.
I wonder if Klopp is looking changing how he can be used without getting him injured as much rather than saying "I want you as a pacy striker, show me you have it or off you'll go!"

"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1308 on: July 11, 2018, 05:08:11 pm »
Can he convert to a deeper role, do you think? He's always been an off the shoulder kind of player.
I wonder if Klopp is looking changing how he can be used without getting him injured as much rather than saying "I want you as a pacy striker, show me you have it or off you'll go!"
I'd expect we need someone with good stamina and work-rate to play that role as we tend to press from the front.

He might be trying to add another string to his bow but if he's here after the transfer window I can't see him starting many games there.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #1309 on: July 11, 2018, 05:39:08 pm »
I got that in my teens from wanking loads.
dios esta buena

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1310 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:06 pm »
With us, no, I doubt it.

The position he was playing is typically the person who needs to work the hardest in the team of the ball and is crucial to the counter press. If anything, Sturridge needs to massively reduce his workload to save his body from high intensity work out. I think this would only increase it or create a tactical vulnerability in our system - something Klopp would rarely do I suspect.

But elsewhere he probably could.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1311 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:52 pm »
I'd expect we need someone with good stamina and work-rate to play that role as we tend to press from the front.

He might be trying to add another string to his bow but if he's here after the transfer window I can't see him starting many games there.
Actually yes, precisely what Funky said. Wish I read that before replying :D

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #1312 on: July 11, 2018, 08:03:07 pm »

Just a thought for Danny Ward, he pulled off a heck of save and prevented a goal from a corner, yet that spill of Karius has occupied pages...

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1313 on: July 11, 2018, 10:06:32 pm »
Just a thought for Danny Ward, he pulled off a heck of save and prevented a goal from a corner, yet that spill of Karius has occupied pages...

How many mistakes did Pickford make tonight that could have been a goal but for pure luck. It's the fine line with keepers sometimes, whether you get away with it or not. That kick straight to Croatia, the punch, the run off his line getting nowhere near the ball and almost getting lobbed, just takes one of those to go in and instead of his reputation now being great , he is getting absolutely destroyed tonight. Based purely on one moment of which he had no control of the end outcome after making a mistake.

Being a keeper is rough.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: July 11, 2018, 10:21:28 pm »
Social media is toxic, people seem to think they can say whatever they want with no consequences because they are typing it on their computer or a phone

Disgusting some of the stuff you see posted online for absolutely no reason or over something as small as football. I love the game and i'm gutted whenever we lose but to send someone abuse i just don't understand

It's insane some will read that people have ended their lives over abuse they've received online then go and send abusive messages to someone

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: July 11, 2018, 10:33:55 pm »

Neymar? Seems to spend all his time upside down if social media is to be believed

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #1316 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:23 pm »
Sadio Mane.

Wait, did you say introvert?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1317 on: July 11, 2018, 10:44:41 pm »
Social media is toxic, people seem to think they can say whatever they want with no consequences because they are typing it on their computer or a phone

Disgusting some of the stuff you see posted online for absolutely no reason or over something as small as football. I love the game and i'm gutted whenever we lose but to send someone abuse i just don't understand

It's insane some will read that people have ended their lives over abuse they've received online then go and send abusive messages to someone

It is why I stay well away from social media, to be honest. It is better to surround yourself with something more positive.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1318 on: July 11, 2018, 10:47:50 pm »
It is why I stay well away from social media, to be honest. It is better to surround yourself with something more positive.  :D

Its true

I have instagram and that's pretty much it. Browse twitter every so often but don't have one myself, some of the stuff you see on there is disgusting

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #1319 on: July 12, 2018, 11:59:06 am »
I could deal with that if it was his only weakness. We all know it's not, though.

He's not the 10/10 all-singing, all-dancing sweeper keeper he's been built up to be on here. Hugo Lloris seems to get a lot of hate on here, but he's a much closer example of that. Watch him 'sweep'. As a Tottenham fan, your heart would probably be in your mouth such are the risks he takes, but he very rarely gets it wrong. Like Karius, he's very fast off his line, but unlike Karius, he times his movements and tackles perfectly so that he does not foul the ensuing attacker and comes away with the ball for his team. As a conventional goalkeeper, his reflexes are also on a completely different level FWIW. That doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes either. That's a strawman argument made by the mob on here.

Putting everything else aside for a moment, how many times have we seen Karius either rush too rashly and/or early, fouling the opponent in the process, or too late so that he is either chipped or beaten too easily? I can't answer that exactly of course, but either way the answer is too many times. I'm sure everyone remembers examples of the former. But Selhurst Park in 2016/17 was the first time I noticed the latter. Yes, Lovren put him in a horrid situation with a sliced clearance, but Karius gave McCarthur an easy lob into an open net. Rashford's second at Old Trafford in March was another stark example of this. I recall myself and POP being in a very small minority of those acknowledging his share of blame for that goal. He had VVD between himself and the ball, yet he still decided to rush from his goal, with the deflection and Karius' dreadful decision allowing Rashford essentially an open goal to tap home. Rondon's equaliser at The Hawthornes a month later is another.

I've compared the Karius situation to Sakho many times and whilst there are obvious differences, I really do think it's an apt comparison. For whatever reason, the majority of Liverpool fans seem to really want to like Karius more than his predecessors, even in the face of a whole body of evidence pointing to him not being up to the grade. We all remember the pointless pass completion statistics thrown in the face of those us who dared to criticise Sakho. They weren't completely wrong, of course. Sakho was a talented, progressive defender (with a huge personality), but ultimately a mistake-ridden and unreliable one. In terms of those mistakes leading to goals, though, he seemed to get away with it more often than not and, even when he didn't, there'd be excuses made for him which weren't for others.

Karius got away with his dreadful punch at the Ethiad due to a wrongly disallowed goal. His kamikaze sweeping at Dzeko's leg was also not punished due to a wrongly awarded offside at the Stadio Olympico. Those two situations would have cost us in a domestic world with VAR, for the record. It won't be long before that world is reality.

The phrase "it's better to be lucky than good" only lasts for so long. The mistakes simply caught up with  him in Kiev. For those that couldn't already see his weaknesses, they've been well and truly found out, and it simply can't continue for a club with our aspirations. We can't have a target on our back walking into every game. Not in goal. It's too important a position.

What a brilliant post!  :wellin
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.