Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1092018 times)

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #7320 on: January 2, 2023, 07:47:52 pm »
Quite what he's seeing with Elliott on the right of a midfield three I have no idea. He's destroying the lad by sending him out in that role and seeing him get bullied every week.

Whether the boy is good enough ultimately only time will tell but it's not too early to say if he's going to make it here it will not be in that role.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7321 on: January 2, 2023, 07:48:09 pm »
We’ve conceded more goals than Everton!!
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7322 on: January 2, 2023, 07:48:10 pm »
Of course he takes responsibility, but I refuse to criticise him, he’s done too much for that to happen.

Well that's a personal choice but you cant expect that of other fans, no one in the history of football is immune from some sort of criticism. Getting it wrong is getting it wrong regardless of who it is and he's getting it wrong right now...

You've effectively already criticised him by saying 'Persevering with tactics that don’t suit the personnel is madness.' And with that you're absolutely spot on IMO.

Love him and will always always be thankful for what he's doing here, unbelievable coach, but the choices are infuriating at times. That starting XI was so predictable as was that first half

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7323 on: January 2, 2023, 07:49:46 pm »
"An ageing side coming to the end" - sad but true. Even with players returning from injury, the World Cup out of the way and a 'second pre-season' we are no better.

This side has won everything, put in 3 90+ point seasons and reached 3 European Cup finals while playing some of the most intense, physical football. How have we ended up with an 18 year old who had one season in the Championship playing out of position starting pretty much every game in our midfield? Piss-take from the club. No one can convince me that Klopp chose this.

I am sure the last bit is true, some crazy things being said at the moment about him not caring. I do think we look washed out at the moment, injuries in key positions such as Diaz and Jota have not helped us at all, especially with Nunez still struggling to score on a regular basis. I think we are too dependant on the ball over the top when attacking as well, I would like to see us vary things a bit more. It's too easy for other teams to organise against.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7324 on: January 2, 2023, 07:49:54 pm »
We’ll do the exact same thing next time around and then be shocked when it doesn’t work. Harvey isn’t a midfielder, and he’s certainly not an 8, yet he keeps playing him in a dysfunctional midfield just setting the kid up for failure. Why haven’t we dropped the defensive line also to accommodate the lack of pressing up top? We keep setting up as if we have all the players in their primes but we don’t and it’s beyond arrogant to continue sticking to the same tactical set up. It’s easy pointing the fingers elsewhere, and there’s certainly plenty blame to go around, but the management/coaching stuff are just as much an issue at the moment.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7325 on: January 2, 2023, 07:51:41 pm »
What are we doing tactically? The difference when we pressed in that second half was huge but it seems to have just evaporated from the side. We rarely seem to smother sides anymore

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7326 on: January 2, 2023, 07:54:18 pm »
What are we doing tactically? The difference when we pressed in that second half was huge but it seems to have just evaporated from the side. We rarely seem to smother sides anymore

We haven't got the legs in midfield to press anymore, our press looked much better when keira came on mind

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7327 on: January 2, 2023, 07:54:43 pm »
Across the pitch we look physically off. If all it takes is one slow reaction from any player for Van Dijk to then get roasted on the break now, we're a bit fucked unless we change our set up to have more back/better placed to counter press as a second wave

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #7328 on: January 2, 2023, 07:54:57 pm »

The plan is pretty much the same but the players are 5 years older and are not capable of doing it for more than 10-15mins. 2nd half we did well until they ran out of steam. Until the midfield is addressed we need to adapt tactically to get the best out of the players we currently have.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7329 on: January 2, 2023, 07:57:36 pm »

We were arrogant. It was going to be a battle and instead we played expansive, played high, played midgets in midfield and lost second balls because our players could not make up the space due to the gaps.

This was pretty much all on the setup. We have gone to fighting for a right to play to thinking we would just play.

That seeped into the players minds. Fucking Tsimikas playing a ball across and then Elliott, after conceding a chalked off goal, doing a dummy in his own half and deep as well.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7330 on: January 2, 2023, 07:57:45 pm »
Well that's a personal choice but you cant expect that of other fans, no one in the history of football is immune from some sort of criticism. Getting it wrong is getting it wrong regardless of who it is and he's getting it wrong right now...

You've effectively already criticised him by saying 'Persevering with tactics that don’t suit the personnel is madness.' And with that you're absolutely spot on IMO.

Love him and will always always be thankful for what he's doing here, unbelievable coach, but the choices are infuriating at times. That starting XI was so predictable as was that first half
Klopp knows how to build a winning team and I’ve never seen a team of his as open as this. That’s why I don’t blame him, I don’t think he’s being advised very well.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Schmohawk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7331 on: January 2, 2023, 07:59:15 pm »
The high line is bonkers when we don't have intensity in the press and we haven't had that in ages. Brentford are a good team, but we've seen the same thing against pretty much every side this season. Even average sides carve us open and cause havoc. It's fine having an identity, but when things obviously aren't working on the regular, we need to do something different.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7332 on: January 2, 2023, 07:59:53 pm »
Klopp knows how to build a winning team and I’ve never seen a team of his as open as this. That’s why I don’t blame him, I don’t think he’s being advised very well.

If klopp can't see what's wrong with this team he needs his glasses back quick. We have been bullied across midfield since game 1 of this season. We haven't been able to fix this on the training ground, if we don't fix it - fast - in the transfer market were ending this season 5th-7th and winning fuck all. No excuses anymore, it's not good enough.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7333 on: January 2, 2023, 08:00:54 pm »

The buck stops with the manager, every single time. To blame his staff and absolve him of any fault is genuinely weird behavior. He’s not some young manager just coming to terms with the enormity of managing a football team for the first time, he’s been doing this for 20 years at the top of the game.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7334 on: January 2, 2023, 08:01:23 pm »

But that just reads as finding ways to blame anyone but him. He picks the 11, it cant be on everyone but him, surely!!

He builds insanely good sides, but our strategy isn't going to work with some of those being deployed. If you're being badly advised and are literally watching this advise not work... you have to change it right?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7335 on: January 2, 2023, 08:02:24 pm »
The buck stops with the manager, every single time. To blame his staff and absolve him of any fault is genuinely weird behavior. He’s not some young manager just coming to terms with the enormity of managing a football team, he’s been doing this for 20 years at the top of the game.
Cool, please go outside Anfield with a ‘Klopp Out’ banner.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #7336 on: January 2, 2023, 08:03:16 pm »
I think Jurgen's changing the way he sees how things should work on the field which is why we currently look like this work-in-progress mess so far.

I watch the games and keep thinking "that's not us" which is true because that seems to be what he's angling for, to play in an at least different manner, there no longer being a Klopp Template.

Until players + staff figure it all out we'll keep seeing these performances.
The change is cast

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7337 on: January 2, 2023, 08:04:55 pm »
But that just reads as finding ways to blame anyone but him. He picks the 11, it cant be on everyone but him, surely!!

He builds insanely good sides, but our strategy isn't going to work with some of those being deployed. If you're being badly advised and are literally watching this advise not work... you have to change it right?
Well excuse me for standing up for someone who’s brought us so much success.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7338 on: January 2, 2023, 08:04:56 pm »

Yes, because criticism of Klopp means I want him out of the club. Get a grip.  ;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7339 on: January 2, 2023, 08:05:20 pm »

Being able to criticize the manager on the internet is not the same as wanting him replaced. Seems to be something incredibly hard for people to grasp on here.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7340 on: January 2, 2023, 08:05:28 pm »
Lots of posters laying blame with Klopp’s ‘staff’ and I reckon they’re thinking about Ljinders specifically. They’ve all been together for years and we’ve been great during that time. Also Klopp’s smart, he’s hardly just nodding along to bad advice. This is purely down to issues with our squad. You can blame our owners for not investing enough and for the ‘self-sufficient’ bollocks.

Our key recruitment people all left at once after a terrible start to the season. Maybe they can see what’s coming. Doesn’t fill you with hope. The sooner we get investment or new owners the better. Shame we’ve written off a year of Klopp.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7341 on: January 2, 2023, 08:06:25 pm »
Elliot must not be considered a starter, he has to now feature from the bench as an impact or opportunity to develop where appropriate. We've yet to find a position that suits him, until we've achieved that he can't be playing from the start.

A big elephant in the room - VVD, since he was assaulted by Pickford, he's not really got close to being what he was before. Through what appears no fault of his own, he's now a big liability. I'd be inclined to consider his future in the summer with a clear replacement being brought in. Matip has looked the senior centre back for the best part of 12 months, I'd let him assume that role.

Keita when fit, has to start - he's exactly what we bought and when available gives us those qualities.

Fabinho, Keita and Thiago are for me our strongest starting midfield, with Hendo pushing for minutes.

Robbo has had a good season... and is a leader of this team.

Trent functions better when his team are dominating possession.

Nunez is a player in the making, looks like the first season we had Suarez - so he's useful but not quite dependable....yet.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7342 on: January 2, 2023, 08:06:49 pm »
Well excuse me for standing up for someone who’s brought us so much success.

But that and the Klopp out stuff is just petulant :lmao

It's not a best fan contest and again, no manager is immune from criticism. It's not about standing up for him or not, people are just calling it as they see it and that's not a problem or wrong

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7343 on: January 2, 2023, 08:07:43 pm »
Lots of posters laying blame with Klopp’s ‘staff’ and I reckon they’re thinking about Ljinders specifically. They’ve all been together for years and we’ve been great during that time. Also Klopp’s smart, he’s hardly just nodding along to bad advice. This is purely down to issues with our squad. You can blame our owners for not investing enough and for the ‘self-sufficient’ bollocks.

Our key recruitment people all left at once after a terrible start to the season. Maybe they can see what’s coming. Doesn’t fill you with hope. The sooner we get investment or new owners the better. Shame we’ve written off a year of Klopp.

There is a really nasty side to this having a go at Ljinders. The fact is nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes only those who are there know it.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7344 on: January 2, 2023, 08:09:00 pm »
Klopp seems pretty intent on playing this way and continuing to play Elliott.

Until that stops then we won’t improve. It’s genuinely like playing with 10 men.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7345 on: January 2, 2023, 08:11:03 pm »
There's a reason these coaches are working alongside such a sublime manager!!!

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7346 on: January 2, 2023, 08:11:52 pm »
Klopp seems pretty intent on playing this way and continuing to play Elliott.

Until that stops then we won’t improve. It’s genuinely like playing with 10 men.

Elliot was piss poor today, for me he simply doesn't have the physicality to play in a klopp side. But that begs the question what is a klopp side in 2023, as we don't seem to be anything like the previous iterations. Even last season was just a refinement of previous years. Right now we're just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7347 on: January 2, 2023, 08:14:44 pm »
22 goals conceded in 17 games is shocking.

GET BACK TO PLAYING THE MIDFIELD THREE  NARROW AND COMPACT.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7348 on: January 2, 2023, 08:17:43 pm »
I think Jurgen's changing the way he sees how things should work on the field which is why we currently look like this work-in-progress mess so far.

I watch the games and keep thinking "that's not us" which is true because that seems to be what he's angling for, to play in an at least different manner, there no longer being a Klopp Template.

Until players + staff figure it all out we'll keep seeing these performances.

The concerning thing is that it's a bit difficult to ascertain exactly what it is Klopp and Co think we are migrating towards with regards our identity.

One of Klopp's biggest strengths was always having a very clear ideal in mind. That is basically what allowed the recruitment team to do their thing. Edwards and co understood how the manager wanted to play,what attributes suited that style and everything else fell into place around that.

Everything has just felt a little fuzzy recently compared with that early clarity.

I for one genuinely don't get what we think Elliot and Thiago starting together would look like if it worked. What is it we think that midfield pairing should theoretically excel at relative to those we are competing against? We may well be able to argue that today our hand was forced by injury, but it has been tried repeatedly over the last 10 months, so we must see something in it. What exactly that is is anyone's guess.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7349 on: January 2, 2023, 08:18:22 pm »
Mistakes should have been rectified in the first half, tweak the team or even sub players. Why wait until we are 2 down and having seemingly lost the game to make changes

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7350 on: January 2, 2023, 08:30:35 pm »
I think we are overreacting a little bit. 

Klopp knows how to build a successful team. He did it at Dortmund and LFC. Teams history will remember as one the best sides to play football. He can see the glaring issue we have. We are rebuilding while also trying to be competitive which is really difficult because other teams are spending more wisely and because of the limited budget we took risks. Backfired badly. I was saying our midfield is average defensively and unbalanced since last season despite challenging for everything and crying during the summer that we should do something yet didn't expect it to be this bad this season. When your midfield is this bad nothing will work and you will need luck. Yeah we can play more compact but I don't think our midfielders can defend anymore compact or not. It's not the time to question Klopp it's the time to put pressure on FSG who are cheap af.

Honestly can't blame anyone talking about Ljinders. He is an assistant coach yet talks about our transfer strategy and how Harvey is a midfielder and plays like Ineista and many other things even the guy who is responsible for the academy scouting Ljinders mentioned his name to public when nobody asked and so many other things, why ? he doesn't help himself and not all fans are rational.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2023, 08:38:45 pm by Egyptian36 »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7351 on: January 2, 2023, 08:31:11 pm »
Unless the club get's sold or massive investment comes in we aren't getting a major rebuild next summer. If we didn't build from a position of strength we ain't building from a 6th/7th place finish either.

Klopp is the miracle FSG must have prayed for when they bought the club yet we are stuck with past it players like Milner, Henderson, Ox and not good enough players like Jones and Elliott in our midfield. We are all hoping they put their hands in their pockets and give us Bellingham type signings to address the issues but deep down we all know it ain't happening unfortunately.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #7352 on: January 2, 2023, 09:03:19 pm »
Perhaps there’s a time we took a closer look at Klopp’s no. 2 however impossible it may be.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7353 on: January 2, 2023, 09:04:52 pm »
The concerning thing is that it's a bit difficult to ascertain exactly what it is Klopp and Co think we are migrating towards with regards our identity.

One of Klopp's biggest strengths was always having a very clear ideal in mind. That is basically what allowed the recruitment team to do their thing. Edwards and co understood how the manager wanted to play,what attributes suited that style and everything else fell into place around that.

Everything has just felt a little fuzzy recently compared with that early clarity.

I for one genuinely don't get what we think Elliot and Thiago starting together would look like if it worked. What is it we think that midfield pairing should theoretically excel at relative to those we are competing against? We may well be able to argue that today our hand was forced by injury, but it has been tried repeatedly over the last 10 months, so we must see something in it. What exactly that is is anyone's guess.

Klopp dropped fabinho against united and played a midfield of hendo, milner & elliott. He called it tactical when questioned about it so god only know what is going on in his mind with the composition of  the midfield.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7354 on: January 2, 2023, 09:05:22 pm »
22 goals conceded in 17 games is shocking.

GET BACK TO PLAYING THE MIDFIELD THREE  NARROW AND COMPACT.

We have to.

In order for our system to work as it has we have to have the hardest working and one of the most athletic midfields in the league,we don't have it anymore and Virgil isn't the superman he was,able just run down and close anyone getting through.

I think we'll improve but how much we can with the same personnel time will tell,bit deflated sorry to sound so negative here.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #7355 on: January 2, 2023, 09:08:29 pm »
We have to.

In order for our system to work as it has we have to have the hardest working and one of the most athletic midfields in the league,we don't have it anymore and Virgil isn't the superman he was,able just run down and close anyone getting through.

I think we'll improve but how much we can with the same personnel time will tell,bit deflated sorry to sound so negative here.
I said after the Leicester game that after the Forest defeat we went back to basics and went more compact and narrow in midfield and looked better fo it. The Napoli game was one of the best 'all round' performances of the season. But since the World Cup we've gone back to playing expansive football with our players spread out all over the pitch. Surprise, surprise we've looked vulnerable again.

Two goals conceded today from a single pass from the Brentford defensive third into our defensive third while we have six or seven players ahead of the ball.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2023, 09:13:13 pm by Funky_Gibbons »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7356 on: January 2, 2023, 09:09:44 pm »
Perhaps there’s a time we took a closer look at Klopp’s no. 2 however impossible it may be.

And the evidence for that claim is what exactly?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7357 on: January 2, 2023, 09:12:06 pm »
Continuing the same thing and expecting different results is literally the definition of madness. We’re still seemingly at the stage of only trusting certain players and not others, and it really isn’t making sense when some of the trusted players are playing so poorly.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7358 on: January 2, 2023, 09:13:11 pm »

Its a simple explanation for people who want to explain away the mistakes all the staff have been involved in- it denies agency to Klopp in the same way the transfer situation isn't down to the manager/ staff spending £150m+ on wide left forwards in the last 12 months.

The whole club worked so well becuase everyone knew their role, there was a cohesive plan and everyone pulled in the same direction. I don't see that happening at the moment and some of the decisions made on and off the pitch over the last 24 months are baffling

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #7359 on: January 2, 2023, 09:15:43 pm »
I said after the Leicester game that after the Forest defeat we went back to basics and went more compact and narrow in midfield and looked better fo it. The Napoli game was one of the best 'all round' performances of the season. But since the World Cup we've gone back to playing expansive football with our players spread out all over the pitch. Surprise, surprise we've looked vulnerable again.

Two goals conceded today from a single pass from the Brentfors defensive third into our defensive third while we have six or seven players ahead of the ball.

Hard to disagree with that. Also think the lack of movement from the midfield and forwards once we regain possession is quite stark. Ive seen VvD lose his shit in games recently when there’s a lack of options in front of him. No wonder some of our players start playing Hollywood balls which invariably don’t come off.