Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 163749 times)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #760 on: August 17, 2023, 11:23:13 pm »
I like the idea of the pitch and all but the guy just comes across as some kind of corporate head to me.

If you work in a big corporation you will see this type of person a lot. They are good at their job and desperately try to push people but ultimately a lack of sincerity comes through when they are quick to praise themselves in around about way by sort of praising the group under them.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: August 17, 2023, 11:26:43 pm »
I think he means well and is super-positive - this might come across a overly effusive, even cringeworthy to some, but if it works on the training pitch to motivate our players then I'm all for it.

Offline Jotatheslotter

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #762 on: August 17, 2023, 11:29:33 pm »
The article and quotes posted sort of confirms to me that Ljinders controls a lot of our “tactical innovations” and “ideas” for the new system - Jurgen is not only a masterclass in motivation and organisation but tactically, I do love Ljinders but he’s not the “brain” he’s trying to be the “voice” at the moment

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: August 17, 2023, 11:46:18 pm »
Nothing wrong with these statements.

He's a bit weird - but that could also be just him trying to get his message into English.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #764 on: August 17, 2023, 11:47:43 pm »
Nothing wrong with these statements.

He's a bit weird - but that could also be just him trying to get his message into English.

It's exactly this IMO. Don't have an issue to be honest, people get wound up over such little things these days!

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: August 17, 2023, 11:52:12 pm »
As ever, when we aren't at our best, there is finger pointing, there are scapegoats, over analysis and conspiracy nonsense. The truth is, much of it is unfounded and most of us will never know the reality of it all.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #766 on: August 18, 2023, 08:20:30 am »
I like the idea of the pitch and all but the guy just comes across as some kind of corporate head to me.

If you work in a big corporation you will see this type of person a lot. They are good at their job and desperately try to push people but ultimately a lack of sincerity comes through when they are quick to praise themselves in around about way by sort of praising the group under them.

I don't see Pep in any way like a corporate person. I work at a very big corporation so know what type of person you are talking about.

IMO, you get people who are always really interested in talking about what they are doing. For some that is self promotion. For others is driven by passion for what they are doing.  I see Pep being in that 2nd bracket. Someone who is really passionate about that technical side of coaching. Someone who wants to talk about it and share ideas. I see those type of people who are passionate about the technical side of their job all the time. They talk about it because they love it, not through the idea of self promotion.

Some will see Pep talking about these things as a way of 'showing how clever he is'. That talk can come from just being so immersed and passionate about what you do.

People see Pep's book as a way of 'showing how clever he is'. The book can come from just being so immersed and passionate about what you do.

People see everything Pep does as some sort of masterplan to position himself as the brain behind Liverpool. Let's not get this any other way, the book, the interviews, doing press conferences, being able to install pitches, being able to make tactical tweaks. They all come with Klopp's blessing.

The issue currently with Liverpool and some Liverpool fans is that things have dipped a bit in the last 12-18 months from the extreme heights of the previous 3-4 years. At a minimum there's become a level of uncertainty that hasn't been there for the previous 3-4 seasons. Naturally a proportion of people can't accept this or the realities of the challenges we have.  By human nature, a number of those people who are unsettled, agitated and unhappy with the lack of clarity of what might happen with Liverpool in the next few seasons are looking for reasons why or someone to blame.

In this situation, a manager would normally get it in the neck or the players. We have a hugely popular and successful manager and in general a squad that is either new or been part of previous successes. People are reluctant to put very much lame or responsibility at the feet of the manager or the players for the current 'situation'. IMO Ljinders, amongst others, has become a lightning rod for some of that criticism.

That's something I find odd. When you have a manager as strong willed and as talented as Klopp, I find it wild that people think he's some sort of submissive figure to the assistant manager. That the assistant manager is writing books, doing interviews and probably more importantly implementing new tactical systems without Klopp's blessing.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: August 18, 2023, 08:22:00 am »
It’s actually a great idea, just wish he’d put his focus on our defending ;)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #768 on: August 18, 2023, 09:15:11 am »
I often think how we judge public figures is problematic. We get snippets of the person and draw conclusions. In football, we’re often seeing managers, coaches and players at their most stressed and driven. Some carry that really well and others don’t. Klopp is someone who can behave poorly on the touch line but we’re all in for the fist pumps and hugs. With Pep Lijnders there’s been a need to heap blame on him for the downturn in fortunes. He’s then analysed by some within the prism of being responsible for causing issues. As a result, he’s increasingly viewed in the negative despite most having no real idea what he’s specifically doing wrong.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: August 18, 2023, 09:42:02 am »

Great idea

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #770 on: August 18, 2023, 11:48:43 am »
La Cage aux Fous
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: August 18, 2023, 01:16:16 pm »
Love him, love him even more because he boils the piss of so many as well

Remember when Achterburg was the scapegoat? It seems like this fanbase absolutely loves to just pick one member of staff and lay it all on them

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #772 on: August 18, 2023, 03:10:41 pm »
I like it but can we just keep it to ourselves? Why do we have to release everything we do or plan to do to the media? How are supposed to get the competitive edge if we share every bit of info...
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #773 on: August 18, 2023, 03:13:03 pm »
I like it but can we just keep it to ourselves? Why do we have to release everything we do or plan to do to the media? How are supposed to get the competitive edge if we share every bit of info...

But if we don't tell everyone, how will people know it's another brilliant idea from the genius mind of Pep Lijnders?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: August 18, 2023, 03:27:33 pm »

Many clubs have a cage football area mate.  ;D  South American teams basically live in them.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #775 on: August 18, 2023, 04:03:16 pm »
Chance to recreate the Survivor Series Elimination Chamber
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: August 18, 2023, 04:04:38 pm »

Do you really think a little 5v5 field is going to give us a competitive edge?

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: August 18, 2023, 05:24:36 pm »
"Spirit of the Streets",explains the injuries,if they're getting a pit going...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yT9vVyGbbUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yT9vVyGbbUU</a>

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: August 18, 2023, 11:37:23 pm »
I don't see Pep in any way like a corporate person. I work at a very big corporation so know what type of person you are talking about.

IMO, you get people who are always really interested in talking about what they are doing. For some that is self promotion. For others is driven by passion for what they are doing.  I see Pep being in that 2nd bracket. Someone who is really passionate about that technical side of coaching. Someone who wants to talk about it and share ideas. I see those type of people who are passionate about the technical side of their job all the time. They talk about it because they love it, not through the idea of self promotion.

Some will see Pep talking about these things as a way of 'showing how clever he is'. That talk can come from just being so immersed and passionate about what you do.

People see Pep's book as a way of 'showing how clever he is'. The book can come from just being so immersed and passionate about what you do.

People see everything Pep does as some sort of masterplan to position himself as the brain behind Liverpool. Let's not get this any other way, the book, the interviews, doing press conferences, being able to install pitches, being able to make tactical tweaks. They all come with Klopp's blessing.

The issue currently with Liverpool and some Liverpool fans is that things have dipped a bit in the last 12-18 months from the extreme heights of the previous 3-4 years. At a minimum there's become a level of uncertainty that hasn't been there for the previous 3-4 seasons. Naturally a proportion of people can't accept this or the realities of the challenges we have.  By human nature, a number of those people who are unsettled, agitated and unhappy with the lack of clarity of what might happen with Liverpool in the next few seasons are looking for reasons why or someone to blame.

In this situation, a manager would normally get it in the neck or the players. We have a hugely popular and successful manager and in general a squad that is either new or been part of previous successes. People are reluctant to put very much lame or responsibility at the feet of the manager or the players for the current 'situation'. IMO Ljinders, amongst others, has become a lightning rod for some of that criticism.

That's something I find odd. When you have a manager as strong willed and as talented as Klopp, I find it wild that people think he's some sort of submissive figure to the assistant manager. That the assistant manager is writing books, doing interviews and probably more importantly implementing new tactical systems without Klopp's blessing.
Good post.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: August 19, 2023, 04:07:39 am »

I agree but the manager can't do everything. Klopp himself said he tells his staff what he wants and how he want us to play and they will design the training so their role is very important. We had many issues the past two seasons but let's assume it's down to the players, this season with the players we have if we don't keep the ball better for example I think it's fair to question Pep and the others especially after his latest comments. Klopp too especially when you see smaller teams managing to play good football with lesser players.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: August 19, 2023, 06:48:20 am »
I don’t have an opinion on him, aside from being very grateful for the role he’s played in us winning stuff over the last few years. That said, I think more turnover in Pep’s role than we’ve seen over the past few years might be a good thing.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #781 on: August 19, 2023, 10:32:48 am »

Agree. That's a good reading.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #782 on: August 19, 2023, 10:36:40 am »
Thanks Jookie that's a great take on him. If he was a dick Jurgen won't have him

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #784 on: August 24, 2023, 02:36:37 pm »
Interesting that he says when we tried it previously, it was to get Trent in the 10 position.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: August 24, 2023, 02:42:54 pm »
Talks about Firmino being important and getting Gakpo in there. Does again throw the question up about us abandoning the system with Nunez, and whether we will ever return to that.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: August 24, 2023, 03:01:09 pm »
Interesting that he says when we tried it previously, it was to get Trent in the 10 position.
that explains the early season runs into the box as the most advanced man

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: August 24, 2023, 03:16:17 pm »

I am beginning to think maybe what we actually need is someone experienced joining the coaching staff

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: August 24, 2023, 03:21:27 pm »
Sometimes this place makes you want to smash your head against a wall until it all just stops  :butt :butt :butt

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: August 24, 2023, 03:37:27 pm »
that explains the early season runs into the box as the most advanced man

Yes explains the start of last season, glad we knocked that on it's head.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: August 24, 2023, 03:45:01 pm »
not a fan of Lijnders again being so vocal in the media about tactics.
Its like with that & the book he is no longer employed by the club. It is stuff you do after your career as coach is finished
I dont think there is a #2 in the league who does so much media. Clearly he wants to be a manager at some point again.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #792 on: August 24, 2023, 03:45:49 pm »
I am beginning to think maybe what we actually need is someone experienced joining the coaching staff

Good point, I mean this coaching team have absolutely no experience between them. Bring in Big Sam to help out I say.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #793 on: August 24, 2023, 03:49:42 pm »
Good point, I mean this coaching team have absolutely no experience between them. Bring in Big Sam to help out I say.

The Ginger PE Teacher will be available once the Bullens Wall has spoken.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: August 24, 2023, 03:49:45 pm »
Talks about Firmino being important and getting Gakpo in there. Does again throw the question up about us abandoning the system with Nunez, and whether we will ever return to that.

And why he lobbied for us to sign Nunez?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #795 on: August 24, 2023, 03:53:29 pm »
Don’t understand why Klopp would be fine with this type of stuff. Calls into question who’s really making the decisions even if internally there’s no doubt.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: August 24, 2023, 04:16:08 pm »

Pep is 40 years old, Matos 35 and Krawietz takes care of analysis more. I don't think it's that crazy to suggest that a more experienced tactically astute assistant may help us be better especially with the influence Pep has on our tactics ( which is normal, managers listen to their coaches )

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #797 on: August 24, 2023, 04:18:03 pm »
Pep is 40 years old, Matos 35 and Krawietz takes care of analysis more. I don't think it's that crazy to suggest that a more experienced tactically astute assistant may help us be better especially with the influence Pep has on our tactics ( which is normal, managers listen to their coaches )

You're realising you're talking about one of the most successful coaching teams we've had as a club, certainly in semi-recent times, as if they've hardly got any experience of coaching a top side, let alone a title and European Cup winning side?

Total lunacy.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #798 on: August 24, 2023, 04:26:45 pm »

Bring back Sammy friggin Lee!

Im all in.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: August 24, 2023, 04:41:02 pm »
And why he lobbied for us to sign Nunez?

He's a great coach, but he should focus on just making players better on the training field. His influence over transfer strategy is one of the reasons we've fallen behind.

Leave it to the scouting network Pep.