Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1478097 times)

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)
« Reply #12880 on: May 14, 2024, 10:09:49 am »
Poor again, we should start looking for a replacement

We don't need to replace forum posters, there are plenty around.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12881 on: May 14, 2024, 10:42:32 am »
There's not a defender in the world that can cope with constantly being exposed and outnumbered by attackers going at them.

He might have made the odd mistake here and there but he's had a great season, all things considered.

Would be nice if we had a midfield that could track runners and full backs that don't constantly see balls going over their heads because they're positionally all over the place.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12882 on: May 14, 2024, 04:53:15 pm »
There's not a defender in the world that can cope with constantly being exposed and outnumbered by attackers going at them.

He might have made the odd mistake here and there but he's had a great season, all things considered.

Would be nice if we had a midfield that could track runners and full backs that don't constantly see balls going over their heads because they're positionally all over the place.

100 percent, feel sorry for VVD, we simply aren't compact enough to be good defensively,  VVD is trying to plug gaps left right and centre.  Matip is his favourite partner and hes been injured all season, konate is potentially world class but dropped off a cliff after injuries, and Quansah has high potential but is learning on the job.

Robertson and Gomez can defend properly but out of all the midfielders it feels like only Endo offers some solidity, organisation, and tactical fouls to stop counters. The pressing from the front 3 also dropped off a cliff in the last 3rd of the season imo. We seem to get out numbered on the counter far too often, for me, Trent should only play inverted when a fully fit Konate is available.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12883 on: May 14, 2024, 05:01:01 pm »
100 percent, feel sorry for VVD, we simply aren't compact enough to be good defensively,  VVD is trying to plug gaps left right and centre.  Matip is his favourite partner and hes been injured all season, konate is potentially world class but dropped off a cliff after injuries, and Quansah has high potential but is learning on the job.

Robertson and Gomez can defend properly but out of all the midfielders it feels like only Endo offers some solidity, organisation, and tactical fouls to stop counters. The pressing from the front 3 also dropped off a cliff in the last 3rd of the season imo. We seem to get out numbered on the counter far too often, for me, Trent should only play inverted when a fully fit Konate is available.

Trent for me should stick to the chalk - and only come inside from direct bench instruction if the opposition have done something clever to nullify the space that he can hurt teams from out wide.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12884 on: May 14, 2024, 06:55:38 pm »
Nah, Quansah will leapfrog him..  ;D

Virg is still a top player, the best we have at the moment. Yes, the errors are creeping up, but c'est la vie. There was a moment when he did a Casemiro to keep their player onside when all of our players were 15 yards ahead of him... He's got to cut out the "cooler than the Fonz" mode, and he'd be fine.

That's a hell of a vertical. He should play basketball instead.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12885 on: May 14, 2024, 07:02:05 pm »
Poor again, we should start looking for a replacement

He seemed to be playing within himself which I can't blame him for too much given we had nothing to play for and there's a Euros in the summer - probably his last shot at an international trophy and he hasn't played many tournaments.

Ultimately there's no protection in front of him, what's he meant to do?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12886 on: May 15, 2024, 10:58:41 am »
Without VVD this season we wouldn't be top 4. Had 3 different partners, I reckon at least 5 different full backs, 2 goalies and the main DM a bloke who has never played in our league before. Correct me if I am wrong but he's played every minute of every league game. He might not be 10/10 every game like he once was but he's more often than not at least 8/10.
JFT97

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #12887 on: May 19, 2024, 12:59:06 pm »
He is the player that I really want us to give an extension. Such a critical piece of the puzzle.

Plus I believe that Slot's midfield tactics might suit an aging defender more than Klopp's.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #12888 on: May 19, 2024, 06:48:59 pm »
Watching the farewell it seems virgil and Jurgen are very close. What happened in Blackpool stays in Blackpool. Virgil is staying

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12889 on: May 19, 2024, 07:22:24 pm »
Amazing player and just represented us like a true captain today. Love the man
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #12890 on: May 20, 2024, 08:38:44 am »
It was clear his influence and role in the club during the post match presentations. Every player and staff member made sure to go over to Van Dijk and give him a hug. He clearly got very emotional twice with Jurgen too which I think everyone found hard to watch without a little tear!

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12891 on: May 20, 2024, 08:45:34 am »
Virgil like Klopp has had the team built in his image, clearly a huge presence in the dressing room. Now to get him a new contract.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #12892 on: May 20, 2024, 08:47:25 am »
Had a great season and is going nowhere....
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #12893 on: May 20, 2024, 08:51:02 am »
UCL and EPL only next season pls  :wave

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12894 on: May 20, 2024, 08:52:46 am »
He's going to be extremely important during this transitional period, his leadership is going to be invaluable.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12895 on: May 20, 2024, 09:29:35 am »
He's going to be extremely important during this transitional period, his leadership is going to be invaluable.

Well he is here for 1 more year seemingly so hopefully that transition is short.

Online KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #12896 on: May 20, 2024, 07:00:31 pm »
Outstanding season from him. Agree with Carragher on this, it's only Mac that was ahead of him as the club's player of the year.

About six weeks ago he looked like the POTY.

A new deal is hopefully in the pipeline.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #12897 on: May 20, 2024, 09:08:44 pm »
Outstanding season from him. Agree with Carragher on this, it's only Mac that was ahead of him as the club's player of the year.

About six weeks ago he looked like the POTY.

A new deal is hopefully in the pipeline.
Alisson too, though he wasn't available for a chunk of time.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12898 on: May 27, 2024, 09:08:55 pm »
Virj speaking to a Dutch outlet today.

Virgil van Dijk on speaking to Arne Slot:

“That felt good. We discussed everything. About the squad, but also about my personal situation.”

“I am and will remain the captain and still have one year left on my contract.”

[@NOS]

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12899 on: May 27, 2024, 09:11:20 pm »
Virj speaking to a Dutch outlet today.

He's off, isn't he? :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12900 on: May 27, 2024, 10:02:38 pm »
As Edwards and co now have the keys, it’ll be very interesting to see how this unfolds. If Edwards is as ruthless as he rumoured to be (Henderson, Milner etc) then you can’t imagine the club offering a huge new extension.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #12901 on: May 27, 2024, 10:25:51 pm »
For me, we have 4 elite/world-class players.

Ali, Trent, VVD and Salah.

To allow three of those four to end up being able to sign on a free for a new club in January is fucking nuts.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12902 on: May 27, 2024, 10:39:47 pm »

To allow three of those four to end up being able to sign on a free for a new club in January is fucking nuts.
Players running down contracts is normal nowadays. The club is between a rock and a hard place when it comes to this sort of thing. You can't make them sign so the other option is to try and push them out. If they aren't willing to leave you risk upsetting the squad and thus there is a good possibility that effects results.

Also nobody was signing anything once Klopp said he was leaving till they get a feeling for the new manager.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12903 on: May 27, 2024, 10:49:48 pm »

Van Dijk and Salah you can understand given their ages and current wage. The Trent one is ridiculous though and pure amateur from us.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12904 on: May 27, 2024, 10:57:05 pm »
Michael Edwards is known to not like offering contracts longer than a year after 30 years of age.  Virj is 33 this summer.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #12905 on: May 27, 2024, 11:00:09 pm »
Give deals in which we have an option for another year. Above all though stagger deals so that your best players deals aren't all running out at the same time.

This isn't the first time it has happened we had Mane, Firmino and Salah all with deals running out at the same time a few years ago.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12906 on: Yesterday at 02:19:56 am »
Michael Edwards is known to not like offering contracts longer than a year after 30 years of age.  Virj is 33 this summer.

I think too much is made of these kinds of ideas. There are always patterns but there are also exceptions to the rule. Ultimately, it comes down to the question of value and there are few defenders out there that are as good as Virgil. Not giving him a contract would be mad. Same as Ali. Less so for even someone like Mo.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SlotRightIn

• Kemlynite
« Reply #12907 on: Yesterday at 10:11:10 am »
He’s still world class regardless of age. Yeah he isn’t what he was 5 years ago but that was the best CB you’ll ever bloody see.

He still starts for literally every team in world football so i’d give him another deal no problem. He’ll still be world class for another 2 seasons I think so a new 3 year deal taking him until he’s 35 shouldn’t be an issue. We just obviously need to make sure over the next couple years we either sign a new CB ready to become the #1 or develop Quansah in to that if we think he’s going to be good enough.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12908 on: Yesterday at 10:30:37 am »
Give deals in which we have an option for another year. Above all though stagger deals so that your best players deals aren't all running out at the same time.

This isn't the first time it has happened we had Mane, Firmino and Salah all with deals running out at the same time a few years ago.

The problem is letting that situation unfold in the first place. Mane did us a favour really by fucking off to Bayern with a year left to give us a decent fee when his legs were going. We kept Mo and then let Bobby leave.

Trent should have been sorted last summer.

You can't really afford to lose Salah and Van Dijk on a free at the same time either so you have a decision to make. For example, sell Salah now and then compromise over Van Dijk offering him a new deal, or let one go next summer and strive to tie the other down. Or even keep both.

Van Dijk is the captain and still performing at a top level. The club might have had their fingers burnt with the Henderson contract and the club were played by the player's camp over that, as before that extension kicked in he was physically done. However, Henderson was a player who relied on endurance and energy. And all that actually happened was we got decent money off Saudi as a result of that contract. It means value holds more for players in their 30s than it did.

Van Dijk could be a Thiago Silva still peforming to a high level in his late 30s.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:33:08 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12909 on: Yesterday at 11:02:07 am »
No brainer for me, offer him at least a 2 year extension and build around him. He could easily do a Thiago Silva. He’s absolute class
JFT97

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #12910 on: Yesterday at 11:13:08 am »
No brainer for me, offer him at least a 2 year extension and build around him. He could easily do a Thiago Silva. He’s absolute class
I see no reason to not extend him until 2027. He's still a top center half and even though he isn't as fast as he was at his peak, he is as solid as ever. I can see him playing at the highest level for another 4-5 seasons atleast.

Offline Hard Gerrard

• Boys Pen
« Reply #12911 on: Yesterday at 12:08:29 pm »
I would keep him without doubts. He's still great and he is a leader. Considering the role and how he plays I think he can be at the top for several seasons. Too important for us.

However, I would buy another defender this summer since Joel is leaving and Konate is often injured.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12912 on: Yesterday at 12:13:50 pm »
Losing Virg would be a total disaster. I'd honestly rather lose the other 3 mentioned. He's irreplaceable.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12913 on: Yesterday at 02:21:13 pm »
I would have no problem with the club going straight in with a 3 year deal. He's easily a first choice for another couple of years and after that can be a leader and mentor playing a reduced schedule. Well worth the millions it'll take. He'll make Quansah and the rest better by just being there as an example.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12914 on: Yesterday at 10:46:10 pm »
He still has a lot left in reserve. As his legs begin to go, he might turn into a mere world class defender instead of being the GOAT. He is the LeBron James of defending in my opinion.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.