Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1483558 times)

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #5080 on: April 3, 2019, 01:45:53 pm »
God, still getting a boner over this. Absolute perfect defending.

But also, Fabinho needs to be sprinting that whole time, little bit lazy there.
Indeed, noticed that habit at Monaco when the ball is past him on a counter-attack and it is one of his few weaknesses. Imagine the shot was rebounded to the zone where player the ran past him in the centre...

Has to have the urgency of what Robertson did in that situation where he makes up ground on Son whereas Fabinho lets another opponent run past him to join the possible 2nd phase of the attack. If Sissoko managed to pass to Son late into the run, Son wouldn't have much time to take a touch a tee up a shot at least because of Robbo. It's not as if he is tired too because he only just got subbed on.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #5081 on: April 3, 2019, 04:40:30 pm »
VVD is so good they have to bring Alan Hansen out of TV retirement to talk about him;
especially for a weekend with LFC on the brink of the title.

Would be perfection.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5082 on: April 4, 2019, 04:41:32 am »
VVD is so good they have to bring Alan Hansen out of TV retirement to talk about him;
especially for a weekend with LFC on the brink of the title.

Would be perfection.

Have a panel of Hansen with Carragher and Hyppia to comment and it would be even better.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5083 on: April 4, 2019, 09:03:55 am »
God, still getting a boner over this. Absolute perfect defending.

But also, Fabinho needs to be sprinting that whole time, little bit lazy there.

I really am impressed by Robbo never giving up on the sprint!  Our Scottish locomotive! 
« Last Edit: April 4, 2019, 09:07:28 am by jckliew »
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #5084 on: April 4, 2019, 11:40:33 am »
Remember that time when Carra said VVD alone wouldn't solve Liverpool's defensive woes?  After the 3-3 at Watford.

Wrrrrrong. Hehe.

To be fair, he was partially right because until we got Alisson in the team and Gomez fit, we were still dodgy at times.

This season though we've been brilliant in defence.

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5085 on: April 4, 2019, 11:45:02 am »
Remember that time when Carra said VVD alone wouldn't solve Liverpool's defensive woes?  After the 3-3 at Watford.

Wrrrrrong. Hehe.

To be fair, he was partially right because until we got Alisson in the team and Gomez fit, we were still dodgy at times.

Our midfield is much more solid as well.

We are better defensively without Coutinho too. He was poor off the ball and would never have been a long term fixture in midfield for us. Said the same thing when he was here so this isn't sour grapes about him leaving either.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #5086 on: April 4, 2019, 02:45:36 pm »
Virgil van Dijk can impress Shania Twain.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5087 on: April 4, 2019, 02:46:48 pm »

Pretty much...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5088 on: April 4, 2019, 02:56:50 pm »
Indeed, noticed that habit at Monaco when the ball is past him on a counter-attack and it is one of his few weaknesses. Imagine the shot was rebounded to the zone where player the ran past him in the centre...

Has to have the urgency of what Robertson did in that situation where he makes up ground on Son whereas Fabinho lets another opponent run past him to join the possible 2nd phase of the attack. If Sissoko managed to pass to Son late into the run, Son wouldn't have much time to take a touch a tee up a shot at least because of Robbo. It's not as if he is tired too because he only just got subbed on.

I think from time to time, our players do have the tendency to switch off and not sprint back when defending.  If you look back at the Lucas Moura goal, when the ball was at the other side with Trippier, TAA was watching the action and jogging back into defence, as opposed to Moura who sprinted ahead of TAA to connect with the "mis-hit" cross from Eriksen to score

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #5089 on: April 4, 2019, 05:32:59 pm »

Wrrrrrong. Hehe.

He was right though. A defence is made up of five men and all of them are to a really high standard. Other than Van Dijk, we've got the best left back and keeper in the league, a really talented young right back and 3 good centre backs to partner Virgil. Allison and VVD were just the last pieces of the jigsaw.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5090 on: April 4, 2019, 08:48:09 pm »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #5091 on: April 4, 2019, 10:26:14 pm »
Beast mode...

I wana see him vs a few other top defenders.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5092 on: April 4, 2019, 11:30:00 pm »
I want to see him back pocket Messi on the way to a CL win this season.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Yevgeny

• Kopite
  • Believer.
« Reply #5093 on: April 5, 2019, 12:48:26 am »
Agree completly. Ferdinand is United's best defender in the Premier League, clearly better than Vidic for me. Overrated on the ball (but still pretty good), but a superb defender and one of the best 1 vs 1.

I don't think you can disregard longevity in these discussions. Van Dijk's played at an incredible level for us, but needs to do it longer to be ranked among the greats. In terms of talent, he is second to none though. He has more to his game than any other defender I can think of. There is not one quality a defender needs that he doesn't have. And he is not merely ok at this or that aspect of the game, he does everything to the highest level. His ability in the air, his composure, his passing, his reading of the game, his speed, his strenght, his leadership are all comparable or better than the best defender in each category. It's insane how complete he is.

I think Jaap Stam was better than both Vidic and Ferdinand. Was a beast. Ferguson only packed him off because Stam revealed in his book that Ferguson told his players to dive.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5094 on: April 5, 2019, 01:11:52 am »
I think Jaap Stam was better than both Vidic and Ferdinand. Was a beast. Ferguson only packed him off because Stam revealed in his book that Ferguson told his players to dive.

Didn't the drugs ban play a role?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5095 on: April 5, 2019, 01:14:01 am »

Ferdinand has become bizarrely under rated in general football chat.
A different level to Stam or Vidic or most other centre backs in the last 30 years
Hard to be objective because he played for them but he was as good as it gets in his pomp

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5096 on: April 5, 2019, 01:28:27 am »
John Terry is underrated too, probably because he's a c*nt and everyone hates him. ;D But absolutely brilliant defender over a long time period.

He's the best in the world right now by a distance, but it's way too early for talk of Virgil being the best defender ever, especially when there have been so many other great defenders in with a shout.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5097 on: April 5, 2019, 01:42:51 am »
John Terry is underrated too, probably because he's a c*nt and everyone hates him. ;D But absolutely brilliant defender over a long time period.

Agree - great on the ball (possibly the most under rated centre back passer ever?)  and imperious if the game was in front of him
Not sure if you could ever play a high line with him but he was amazing at what he did
Ferdinand better though - could do it all, you could have played him in any system and he'd have been elite

Still hate them all etc and so forth

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5098 on: April 5, 2019, 07:08:54 am »
If he wasn’t made of twigs, Ledley King would possibly be up there, or maybe my impressions are skewed by the c*nt coming out of retirement to have a worldie against us every season for a few years.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5099 on: April 5, 2019, 07:55:43 am »

Virgil Van Dijk can stop the Night King and win the Iron Throne.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5100 on: April 5, 2019, 09:43:11 am »
Ferdinand has become bizarrely under rated in general football chat.
A different level to Stam or Vidic or most other centre backs in the last 30 years
Hard to be objective because he played for them but he was as good as it gets in his pomp

I agree with this.

Ferdinand is the best centre back to have played in the Premier League era. For me he stands head and shoulders above the rest. A bit like Gerrard does when compared to his midfield peers. Schmiechel is the best keeper. Ferdinand is the best defender. Gerrard the best midfielder. And Thierry Henry is the best striker in Premier League history. Personally I think it's very hard to disagree with the above.

Ferdinand is the standard any top centre back should be held up to. Van Dijk compares well with Ferdinand but he's only hit this level for a shorter time period so far.

Ricardo Carvalho is massively under rated in terms of Premier League defenders. Maybe because he was over shadowed a bit by Terry. Surprised he's not mentioned as much when people are compiling lists of the best defenders in the last 20-30 years.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5101 on: April 5, 2019, 10:53:06 am »

He's the best in the world right now by a distance, but it's way too early for talk of Virgil being the best defender ever, especially when there have been so many other great defenders in with a shout.

John Terry was overrated imo. Classic big man last line CB who could get done for speed and was well protected from a world class midfield that was drilled to sit deep.

Not saying he was shit, but there is day light between him and VVD/Ferdinand
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5102 on: April 5, 2019, 10:54:11 am »
I agree with this.

Ferdinand is the best centre back to have played in the Premier League era. For me he stands head and shoulders above the rest. A bit like Gerrard does when compared to his midfield peers. Schmiechel is the best keeper. Ferdinand is the best defender. Gerrard the best midfielder. And Thierry Henry is the best striker in Premier League history. Personally I think it's very hard to disagree with the above.

Ferdinand is the standard any top centre back should be held up to. Van Dijk compares well with Ferdinand but he's only hit this level for a shorter time period so far.

Ricardo Carvalho is massively under rated in terms of Premier League defenders. Maybe because he was over shadowed a bit by Terry. Surprised he's not mentioned as much when people are compiling lists of the best defenders in the last 20-30 years.

I agree. Terry played in the better defensive system but Ferdinand was easily the better individual talent. Carvalho was absolutely sensational btw and IMO the one that really hauled Terry up to world-class status as Terry must have learnt a shit load from looking at Carvalho. However, the Chelsea defenders always did lack pace and needed Makelele as well as a more defensive system to succeed. The Mancs approached defence more like the way we do at the moment, relying on Ferdinand to sort out any attacks before they even started. He was in every way what VVD is to us. I think Virgil is even taller, stronger and faster than Ferdinand though, and he's definitely better on the ball. In every way, Van Dijk has a higher ceiling than Ferdinand. I think this is the best season I have seen from a defender in the premier league, full stop.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #5103 on: April 5, 2019, 11:10:41 pm »
How did he get that one over the bar?  :o

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #5104 on: April 6, 2019, 12:10:28 am »
How did he get that one over the bar?  :o
That was astonishing.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5105 on: April 6, 2019, 08:37:07 am »
There's a panegyric to the big man in The Times today - highlights below:

There is a trend in the build-up to televised matches for the players to be shown leaving the team bus, stepping down towards the players’ entrance. This is a rather dull event and so their disembarkation is done in slow motion. It is a form of elevation, homage. These men do not climb off the coach like you or I would jump from the 209 to Hammersmith, they do so in a blaze of glory and recognition. They arrive and we are grateful to see them do so in good time and in one piece.

The cameras were poised for one player in particular. [...]
Van Dijk was determined to join Klopp and, at £75 million, joined an elite band of players who have not once seemed emotionally troubled by how much they cost. As he floated down from the bus last night he delivered an ironic, knowing half-smile, which, in slow motion, looked both intimidating and professorial. [...]

He is a man mountain and so Southampton took the decision to bypass him. This reaped swift reward as Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg’s header dinked over the Dutchman’s head to set up the first goal. The next time Hojbjerg tried something similar, the Southampton captain overdid the arc of his avoidance and the ball dipped over the head of Shane Long as well as that of Van Dijk. But the home team believed they were in with a chance if they could keep on circumnavigating the imperious centre back. It was similar to a cab driver insisting on avoiding the M25 even if it added 55 miles to the journey.

Van Dijk wore the armband at St Mary’s. That he would be the automatic captain in the absence of Jordan Henderson and James Milner, the captain and vice-captain respectively who started on the bench, was voted on by the players last October and the defender possesses a captain’s aura. He had to clear the ball in a hurry right in front of his goalkeeper Alisson in the first half and although it smacked of the set-up for an own goal, his composure was so vivid that a mishap did not feel imminent.

Slow-motion camerawork suits Van Dijk because he never looks rushed. He glides where others scurry, he holds out his arms in messianic fashion where others flap in despair. This authority was essential in those periods where his team exhibited the jitters. Passes were misplaced and the positioning was, from Liverpool’s standpoint, naive, and had their captain begun yelling it may all have imploded. He expressed annoyance for the mistakes being made without it spilling into castigation. These wobbles in the frenetic climax to the season are only to be expected, said his body language. Class will win out in the end, said the glint in his eyes.

This was not his most assured performance and his distribution was decidedly unexceptional but his team-mates have reached the juncture where they require the personification of destiny on the pitch alongside them. Van Dijk came to Liverpool because he knew that he could win silverware and the fact he still believes that as the nerves fray while Manchester City barely break sweat is what keeps the dream of a first league title since 1990 alive.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5106 on: April 6, 2019, 09:22:58 am »
https://www.goal.com/en-ae/news/van-dijk-or-sterling-who-deserves-to-be-named-player-of-the-year-/32yva72lfwhi1rqt10g1n6375

Look at the 'argument' for Sterling. Absolutely laughable

This is more clear cut than Salah's win for me. Salah was  a record breaking year but we were 4th, we are now 1st

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5107 on: April 6, 2019, 12:26:05 pm »
There is no way Van Dijk doesn’t win it to be honest. There’s not been any player on his level this season in the league. Aguero, Sterling, Mane, Allison, Robertson, Trent... could basically have picked anyone from the next level for the media to “hype” an opponent in this Player of the Season (and they’re all properly world class players, and are examples of the very best players in the world in their respective positions). But Van Dijk’s been on a different level to all of them this season, and they’ll all vote for him.

Most importantly though - let’s hope those imperious performances see him lifting PL and CL trophies at the end of this season.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5108 on: April 6, 2019, 01:26:23 pm »

In a Mourinho side, Terry was the perfect defender. Had he been a pacey defender he'd been absolutely unassailable. Virgil is essentially a John Terry in his prime with pace.
Linudden.

Offline penga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5109 on: April 7, 2019, 01:21:02 pm »
In a Mourinho side, Terry was the perfect defender. Had he been a pacey defender he'd been absolutely unassailable. Virgil is essentially a John Terry in his prime with pace.
Indeed, although a large chunk of Terry's career was not with Mourinho and he played under some more attacking managers like Scolari and Ancelotti, not sure how he coped with that as I don't really watch/bother remembering Chelsea games but he won the title with Ancelotti and their team scored over 100 goals.

And yes VVD deserves player of the year for sure. All the attackers have had good seasons but not insane seasons like Salah last season. Sterling isn't even in front of the goal contribution charts atm, none of them are standouts from each other.

Aguero 19 goals 7 assists
Hazard 12 goals 14 assists
Salah 18 goals 7 assists
Sterling 15 goals 9 assists
Auba 17 goals 5 assists
Kane 17 goals 4 assists
« Last Edit: April 7, 2019, 01:27:15 pm by penga »

Offline Juanyboy

• Kopite
  • Enjoying the sun, missing the football
« Reply #5110 on: April 9, 2019, 06:31:25 pm »
Makes me wonder, who the feck did we get this guy in front of the rest of the pack? Had we been scouting/laying the groundwork for months/years? Can't get over that we landed him and he only wanted to come to us.....

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5111 on: April 9, 2019, 06:56:29 pm »
Aguero 19 goals 7 assists
Hazard 12 goals 14 assists
Salah 18 goals 7 assists
Sterling 15 goals 9 assists
Auba 17 goals 5 assists
Kane 17 goals 4 assists

You missed out Mane. 17 goals, 1 assist.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5112 on: April 10, 2019, 12:30:00 am »
Fuck he looked angry tonight.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5113 on: April 10, 2019, 12:40:47 am »
I was surprised that Jozy Altidore was giving him so much trouble.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #5114 on: April 10, 2019, 12:42:37 am »
How much money would we offer in a new contract?

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5115 on: April 10, 2019, 01:32:18 am »
How much money would we offer in a new contract?

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Mcnutty

• Main Stander
« Reply #5116 on: April 10, 2019, 05:44:32 am »
I was surprised that Jozy Altidore was giving him so much trouble.
being from the states, this got me  :lmao :lmao
"And it goes Liverpool's way again as Reina makes a second save. He's going to out Dudek  Dudek."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5117 on: April 10, 2019, 06:54:31 pm »
He revealed he voted for Sterling for Player of The Year and Bernardo Silva could have been his 2nd choice.
I suppose Sterling has a chance, he improved his end product this year but totally expecting VVD to win it.

Offline penga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5118 on: April 11, 2019, 03:31:05 am »
He revealed he voted for Sterling for Player of The Year and Bernardo Silva could have been his 2nd choice.
I suppose Sterling has a chance, he improved his end product this year but totally expecting VVD to win it.
Sterling the melt voted tactically as you'd expect...for Harry Kane zzz...

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5119 on: April 11, 2019, 08:14:38 am »
Remember the anger people had over Sakho leaving?

Yeah. Really odd wasn’t it?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W