Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1392805 times)

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General
« Reply #21080 on: November 9, 2023, 12:55:27 pm »
I'll be honest, I can't see the controversy in the Rashford red card. Whether he means it or not is completely irrelevant, he is nowhere near the ball and plants a straight leg into the bottom of guys calf. It's reckless and dangerous. He would have got away with it if it was on the foot or even the ankle, but if you are that high on the leg with studs up and a straight leg then it is always going to be a red card. Intent has nothing to do with it, nor does the fact that 'Zidane used to do it all the time' as Scholes and Hargreaves kept using as some kind of defence...

The problem now is that managers and pundits are making such a fuss about every VAR decision that it starts to water down the effectiveness of the complaints about legitimate VAR f*ck ups. It's easy now for PGMOL and defenders of VAR to just say that there is some kind of agenda against VAR and group all of the complaints together.

I think another issue is that VAR has fucked up on so many occasions, whenever a decision is given there are always countless examples of similar decisions not being given (and vice versa). They've completely fucked it up and it needs ripping apart and starting again.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #21081 on: November 9, 2023, 12:59:43 pm »
I think another issue is that VAR has fucked up on so many occasions, whenever a decision is given there are always countless examples of similar decisions not being given (and vice versa). They've completely fucked it up and it needs ripping apart and starting again.

I said before, they need to get rid of the clear & obvious error, terminology from the protocol, the protocol should be

Is it a red card, yes or no?
Is it a goal, yes or no?
Is it a penalty, yes or no?

It works well in Rugby.
#Sausages

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21082 on: November 9, 2023, 12:59:50 pm »
The biggest way VAR is fucking the game may be the handball rule leading to far too many penalties. When I used to ref games there'd be handballs in the box all the time because no one at our level was a big enough dork to defend with their hands behind the back. I think I only ever once gave a penalty for it, for a goal line "save". There was probably always a hint of that even at the top level... "yeah, it clipped his hand but come on, he's near the edge of the box, the ball was travelling fast and it didn't really make a difference". But thanks to the technology the refs are under pressure to give penalties for the most trivial arm brushes. It's ridiculous the proportion of goals being scored this way. If every slight touch is being caught on camera, maybe it's time to make it an indirect free kick offence except for the most obviously intentional blocks.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21083 on: November 9, 2023, 01:03:02 pm »
The biggest way VAR is fucking the game may be the handball rule leading to far too many penalties. When I used to ref games there'd be handballs in the box all the time because no one at our level was a big enough dork to defend with their hands behind the back. I think I only ever once gave a penalty for it, for a goal line "save". There was probably always a hint of that even at the top level... "yeah, it clipped his hand but come on, he's near the edge of the box, the ball was travelling fast and it didn't really make a difference". But thanks to the technology the refs are under pressure to give penalties for the most trivial arm brushes. It's ridiculous the proportion of goals being scored this way. If every slight touch is being caught on camera, maybe it's time to make it an indirect free kick offence except for the most obviously intentional blocks.

Simple solution is to award a free kick rather than a penalty, unless it is actually a deliberate handball or a handball that prevents a goal.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21084 on: November 9, 2023, 01:16:30 pm »
The Premier League interpretation seems better than UEFA's as it has additional caveats that don't seem to apply in European competitions:
- The arm has to be in an "unnatural position" e.g. Michael Keane running along with his arm stretched out in front of him
- A deflection onto the arm rules out the handball in most cases
There are, as always, some issues with how the law is applied by different officials but I think it's a pretty good starting point.

I don't think either of the penalties last night would have been given in the Premier League.  Ross Barkley, with his back to the ball, blocking Van Dijk's header with his arm is comparable to the penalty given to Man U.  Copenhagen's I'm less sure on as Maguire is a very handsy defender in general and his arms were only outstretched because he was trying to impede the forward (debatable if that's a "natural position").

I agree with your general point though.  I've only refereed kids games - where the most common handball is a kid getting scared and almost catching the ball - but when I used to play almost every handball shout was rejected with a "ball to hand" response.  In elite football though too many teams and players are shithouses that would exploit such a simplistic rule which I believe is why we have quite convoluted rules.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21085 on: November 9, 2023, 01:24:47 pm »
Over time they made all of the rules so deliberately vague and subjective so as they can then justify whatever decision they give and fuck consistency. It’s just make it up as you go along. Give what you want to and don’t give what you don’t want to. They’ll be a raft of ppl there to defend you and your decision making either way.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #21086 on: November 9, 2023, 01:28:08 pm »
Something needs to be done asap as the game is turning into a fucking fiasco world wide :wanker :wanker :butt :butt :no :no

Sepp Blatter warned everyone this would happen once video technology was introduced. He may have been corrupt (FIFA/UEFA always have been) but as soon as he left the floodgates opened.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21087 on: November 9, 2023, 01:31:48 pm »
I said before, they need to get rid of the clear & obvious error, terminology from the protocol, the protocol should be

Is it a goal, yes or no?

It works well in Rugby.

But it's often far too subjective. You could have a room full of pundits, a room full of fans, a room full of referees and they can all be 50/50 split over the decision. Clear and obvious is there so in theory everyone will agree with the decision but the distinction over that is again too subjective.

It shouldn't be used for penalty or red card decisions at all, but once the tech is there it's going to be used. You can't put the shit back in the horse.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #21088 on: November 9, 2023, 01:33:12 pm »

Is it a goal, yes or no?

It works well in Rugby.

Absolutely, and it should be very clear and strict when VAR can be applied and how / when they can intervene by themselves.
Once it goes to VAR, all decisions should be binary.

"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #21089 on: November 9, 2023, 04:12:52 pm »

Is it a goal, yes or no?

It works well in Rugby.

The problem is that there are too many grey areas. My solution would be to have, say, three VARs, preferrably in three different countries, with no means of communication between each other or with the on-field team (other than conveying a decision), each with their own technician, and each given exactly 60 seconds to decide whether the on-field decision should be overturned or not. If all three vote to overturn within a minute, the decision is automatically overturned, the on-field ref doesn't need to have another look. If two vote to overturn, the on-field ref can have another look and make a final decision. And if fewer than two vote to overturn, the on-field decision stands. This would go for penalties, red cards, fouls in buildup to goals, etc. Offside would be automated.

Obviously, not all leagues would be able to afford this, but it shouldn't be a problem for the PL and UEFA.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21090 on: November 9, 2023, 04:28:09 pm »
We can definitely say goodbye to free flowing football if it ever existed that much in the past few years. Officials are reffing scared, bailing out of decision making in the hope VAR can intervene while those in VAR are now shitting themselves in making a wrong decision.... Again. Time to let AI assume some of the responsibilities reducing the human error from the game. Bring in a ruling that gives the attacking player the benefit of doubt so the offside rule can go back in time as while it was never perfect it sure was less controversial than it is now. Let players defend again knowing an unintentional handball will not be penalised and diving should be an automatic yellow whether it be an attacker looking to claim a penalty or a defender falling over when he's allowed himself to be crowded into a corner with no where to go. Free flowing.... Surely that's the goal of the game and those that run it rather than watching an official ruin the possibility of a good game.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #21091 on: November 9, 2023, 05:00:53 pm »
We can definitely say goodbye to free flowing football if it ever existed that much in the past few years. Officials are reffing scared, bailing out of decision making in the hope VAR can intervene while those in VAR are now shitting themselves in making a wrong decision.... Again. Time to let AI assume some of the responsibilities reducing the human error from the game. Bring in a ruling that gives the attacking player the benefit of doubt so the offside rule can go back in time as while it was never perfect it sure was less controversial than it is now. Let players defend again knowing an unintentional handball will not be penalised and diving should be an automatic yellow whether it be an attacker looking to claim a penalty or a defender falling over when he's allowed himself to be crowded into a corner with no where to go. Free flowing.... Surely that's the goal of the game and those that run it rather than watching an official ruin the possibility of a good game.

There's a bit of a narrative about this posted by others as well.

It's not true.

When Taylor was dropped down to the Championship, with no VAR, he was just as shit.

Anytime VAR reviews a situation, VAR has to be advised as to what the call is on the pitch. Either by the Ref or Assistant. Then VAR can review to confirm or find a "clear and obvious" error.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21092 on: November 9, 2023, 05:09:24 pm »
Clear and obvious is a pile of shite. Wasn't the challenge on Gomez v Spurs deemed fine because it wasn't clear and obvious when quite clearly and obviously the ref missed the fact that Gomez was cleaned out and it should've been a penalty?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #21093 on: November 9, 2023, 05:21:03 pm »
The Premier League interpretation seems better than UEFA's as it has additional caveats that don't seem to apply in European competitions:
- The arm has to be in an "unnatural position" e.g. Michael Keane running along with his arm stretched out in front of him
- A deflection onto the arm rules out the handball in most cases
There are, as always, some issues with how the law is applied by different officials but I think it's a pretty good starting point.

I don't think either of the penalties last night would have been given in the Premier League.  Ross Barkley, with his back to the ball, blocking Van Dijk's header with his arm is comparable to the penalty given to Man U.  Copenhagen's I'm less sure on as Maguire is a very handsy defender in general and his arms were only outstretched because he was trying to impede the forward (debatable if that's a "natural position").

I agree with your general point though.  I've only refereed kids games - where the most common handball is a kid getting scared and almost catching the ball - but when I used to play almost every handball shout was rejected with a "ball to hand" response.  In elite football though too many teams and players are shithouses that would exploit such a simplistic rule which I believe is why we have quite convoluted rules.

That Lerager handball in particular was mindboggling. He's in a tussle with Maguire and another United player, he and Maguire jump at the same time requiring arms to go out and up, Maguire heads the ball onto Leragers' arm (which is about 10 inches away) and that's a handball?

I'm also not keen on VAR involving itself on calls the refs don't make. So going back to look at that Rashford foul- whether it's a red or not- doesn't sit right with me, and is one of the reasons the games have lost their fluidity. If the ref misses the call, that's unfortunate, but let the refs run the game instead of having a Big Brother in the box to pick out every incident.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #21094 on: November 9, 2023, 06:57:46 pm »
I agree with this and have been saying so for ages, usually with the footballing conservatives disagreeing with me.

Penalties are too easily won; they should be won only in the more egregious cases, when a goal or very clear goal-scoring chance has been denied by a foul or handball or whatever. Otherwise it should be some other remedy.

Let it be a direct free kick, maybe with more advantage to the attackers in some eay (no wall?) if you feel that being 'in the area' should count as profferring more advantage. But a penalty, an 80%+ chance of a goal just because the ball brushes someone's arm far from the goal with no real disadvantage to the attackers resulting, no clear goal-scoring chance being prevented. That's too harsh a consequence.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21095 on: November 9, 2023, 07:06:00 pm »
No he's a bellend, the time for him to make comments was to back Klopp when he called it out, instead he went the other way the hypocrite budget Pep.
The real embarrassment is Arteta having a meltdown at the Newcastle incidents and then only a few weeks ago telling us to move on after the referee's/VAR corruption after the Diaz goal. I'd have a degree of sympathy for him if he'd backed us up back he went out of his way to be a cnut about it so.....
Sounds like it

"I don’t know. It’s something that we don’t have a say on, we don’t manage," Arteta said on October 6 when asked about if certain referees shouldn't take charge of matches involving certain clubs.

“I think they are trying to make the best decisions, they are trying to protect the game, they are trying to get as much support and be ruthless when they need to be.

"At some point as well we need to give support and understand that mistakes happen. We’ve made mistakes as well and if the pressure is so much then it’s very difficult to manage."

Not..

Here is what he also said:

"For sure, you know at the end you want to get what you deserve. You want to minimise errors that you cannot control away from the work and the job that you do on a daily basis."

"Everybody is trying to have a really clean and honest game but in the end you have to earn the right to win it and play in the conditions that the rules allow. When that doesn’t happen it’s extremely frustrating."

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21096 on: November 9, 2023, 07:42:07 pm »
It's completely destroyed this sport.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #21097 on: November 9, 2023, 07:42:46 pm »
Football is absolutely fucked.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #21098 on: November 9, 2023, 07:42:52 pm »
Can't wait to get some of these amazing European refs over here.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #21099 on: November 9, 2023, 07:43:01 pm »
That was like 7 phases ago!

This is so bad.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #21100 on: November 9, 2023, 07:43:09 pm »
You can now be offside with a part of the body you can’t play the ball with then. Great stuff!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21101 on: November 9, 2023, 07:43:10 pm »
Absolutely shit

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #21102 on: November 9, 2023, 07:43:10 pm »
Fucking outrageous done again.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21103 on: November 9, 2023, 07:43:53 pm »
I thought it had to be in the same phase? That's so weird.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21104 on: November 9, 2023, 07:44:01 pm »
Denied a fuckin' goal like that. Shambles.  :butt

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21105 on: November 9, 2023, 07:44:11 pm »
fucking hell...

refs are a joke these days

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21106 on: November 9, 2023, 07:44:15 pm »
I thought it had to be in the same phase? That's so weird.

It does, it makes no sense at all.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21107 on: November 9, 2023, 07:46:40 pm »
A fucking absolute shambles. Not only are the rules not applied, he fucking GIVES the goal then goes back.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21108 on: November 9, 2023, 07:47:46 pm »
Someone give us the actual rule.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21109 on: November 9, 2023, 07:48:02 pm »
 ::)
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Copenred

• Main Stander
« Reply #21110 on: November 9, 2023, 07:49:00 pm »
This shit is ruining the game

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #21111 on: November 9, 2023, 07:50:30 pm »
Needs a massive rethink and reset this now. Gone beyond a joke. Completely fuckin ruining the game of football.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #21112 on: November 9, 2023, 07:53:30 pm »
Illegal decision. 
The VAR doesn't know the handball rules.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21113 on: November 9, 2023, 07:54:17 pm »
Is the rule about only penalising handball by the goal scorer unique to the PL, or are we just getting the customised LFC experience?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21114 on: November 9, 2023, 07:54:44 pm »
I don't ever recall this happening before, it's like they are making the rules up as they go along.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #21115 on: November 9, 2023, 07:56:06 pm »
Throw them off a tall building. Every last one of them. All worthless jobworths who don't even understand the job they're supposed to be doing.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Xabisfeet

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21116 on: November 9, 2023, 07:56:21 pm »
VAR isn't improving football.

It will never improve football.

Unfortunately, the Genie is out of the bottle and there is no going back

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21117 on: November 9, 2023, 07:57:31 pm »
the arguments i used to have in this thread with the people convinced VAR would improve things all seem very long ago now. even the most zealously keen supporters of the idea seem done with it. it's been everything feared and worse.

i'd take no VAR except goal line technology in a heartbeat now. or including offsides if they insisted. whole game is so tepid now, hard to even celebrate goals these days

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21118 on: November 9, 2023, 08:00:39 pm »
Throw them off a tall building. Every last one of them. All worthless jobworths who don't even understand the job they're supposed to be doing.

It's like they want to be the stars rather than the players, we have the power to take all the headlines!

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21119 on: November 9, 2023, 08:02:46 pm »
the arguments i used to have in this thread with the people convinced VAR would improve things all seem very long ago now. even the most zealously keen supporters of the idea seem done with it. it's been everything feared and worse.

i'd take no VAR except goal line technology in a heartbeat now. or including offsides if they insisted. whole game is so tepid now, hard to even celebrate goals these days

VAR is a shit idea, badly executed.

They should only use technology that can work (goalline tech, automated offsides/AI in the future).