Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 347792 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #1320 on: April 24, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »
southampton and Palace will have nothing to play for and be the definition of pushovers.

Some of our games will be the same.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1321 on: April 24, 2017, 12:40:06 pm »
southampton and Palace will have nothing to play for and be the definition of pushovers.

By that logic we should beat them and Watford easily enough too. And in theory Boro too who will be down when we play them.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1322 on: April 24, 2017, 12:41:14 pm »
Some of our games will be the same.

They haven't lost since October mate.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1323 on: April 24, 2017, 12:44:05 pm »

Draw a lot though

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1324 on: April 24, 2017, 12:47:37 pm »

They've drawn a load of games and haven't exactly been playing at their best. They've also avoided three of the top six since January.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1325 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »
By that logic we should beat them and Watford easily enough too. And in theory Boro too who will be down when we play them.

The difference is the level of us and the Mancs... sadly. Some of their draws - especially a couple of the home ones - disguise how well they've been doing.
They've been playing at a high level recently - we haven't. If we can get at least Lallana back and start to control games and create more chances then our fixtures should be easy. If we play like the last 2 or 3 we're just not playing well enough to dominate teams and make our fixtures the formality they should be.
Our 4 games are all winnable but whether we've got the players to get it done is the question.
Who knows it looks like something around a 50/50 shot whether we get top 4 or not at the moment.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1326 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:59 pm »
Draw a lot though

True, you'd probably expect them to continue in similar form though that probably gets them qualified. Il be hoping City beat them a draw puts them both likely ahead of us

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1327 on: April 24, 2017, 12:50:48 pm »
I think 3 wins will be enough for us to get in top 4.

I think Utd will pick up another 11 points finishing on 74.
Arsenal will get another 14 points finishing on 71.
We're on 66 so 9 points will take us to 75.

I'm off to bury my head back in the sand.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1328 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:20 pm »
The difference is the level of us and the Mancs... sadly. Some of their draws - especially a couple of the home ones - disguise how well they've been doing.
They've been playing at a high level recently - we haven't. If we can get at least Lallana back and start to control games and create more chances then our fixtures should be easy. If we play like the last 2 or 3 we're just not playing well enough to dominate teams and make our fixtures the formality they should be.
Our 4 games are all winnable but whether we've got the players to get it done is the question.
Who knows it looks like something around a 50/50 shot whether we get top 4 or not at the moment.

Play like the last two or three? Two of those games were wins, three points is the most important thing.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1329 on: April 24, 2017, 12:52:51 pm »
True, you'd probably expect them to continue in similar form though that probably gets them qualified. Il be hoping City beat them a draw puts them both likely ahead of us

If they draw all three of those big aways then that's 6 points dropped and we should be OK. Or they could win one and lose two. If they get more than 4 from those three then it will leave very little margin for error.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1330 on: April 24, 2017, 01:06:31 pm »

In all honesty I don't give a toss if we play like we have in the last 2 or 3 as long as we score more than the other team.

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #1331 on: April 24, 2017, 01:06:39 pm »
I appreciate that results against Bournemouth and Palace are making our task harder than needs be and I'm just as frustrated as everyone, but before a ball had been kicked this season, if I had been offered Liverpool being bang in the race for 3rd/4th with 4 remaining games against Watford, saints, west ham and boro, with our rivals all having games against each other and the title contenders I would have snapped your hand off!

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1332 on: April 24, 2017, 01:11:18 pm »
I appreciate that results against Bournemouth and Palace are making our task harder than needs be and I'm just as frustrated as everyone, but before a ball had been kicked this season, if I had been offered Liverpool being bang in the race for 3rd/4th with 4 remaining games against Watford, saints, west ham and boro, with our rivals all having games against each other and the title contenders I would have snapped your hand off!

I agree mate. What's happened has gone now and we can't change it. All we can do is win the last 4 and hope it's enough.

I think we'll beat Watford, Southampton at home needs to be made into the type of atmosphere we had in the title run-in a few years back, West Ham away will be tough but the pitch is big enough for us to take advantage and Boro will hopefully be down and done by the time they come to Anfield.

Adam Lallana coming back will be a boost and if Sturridge can get back and influence a game somewhere then it'll be a bonus.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1333 on: April 24, 2017, 01:13:48 pm »
In all honesty I don't give a toss if we play like we have in the last 2 or 3 as long as we score more than the other team.

Yes.
Thanks for pointing that out.
The point is that results catch up to performances. If we want to win the last 4 we'll have to play better than we have in the last 3.
I think we can play better - Lallana coming back and pushing Lucas out the team and Can deeper instantly improves us - but we will need to. We've been playing these teams almost on an equal footing - the WBA and Stoke games broke for us the Palace game broke against us.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #1334 on: April 24, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
Is this current side, with the injuries we have and its mental frailty, capable of winning 4 games in a row? I think it's unlikely so we are praying the head-to-head games between our rivals can somehow results wise work out in our favour. I can see us picking up 2 wins, a draw and a loss. Going to be a big ask now and we can look at Bournemouth and Palace games as the ones where we have shot ourselves in the foot.

It will be galling to miss out now and will stack on top of a series of failings recently which to me point to a club which needs to grow some backbone and belief. Missing out on the league, the FA Cup semi final against Villa, the league cup final against City and the Europa League final. We must as a club break this habitual snatching-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory we are seeing too often now.
JFT97

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1335 on: April 24, 2017, 02:35:00 pm »
If they scrape a victory against City this place will be in meltdown.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1336 on: April 24, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »
If they scrape a victory against City this place will be in meltdown.

yes - but at that point we should also be resigned to the fact that they will have earned the upper hand.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1337 on: April 24, 2017, 02:50:14 pm »
If we won yesterday I'd have been relatively confident we'd make it. Now I'd say utd are slight favourites. Also arsenals confidence will be back now. 
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1338 on: April 24, 2017, 03:13:56 pm »
If Untied continue current form, you'd suspect 3 draws, 3 wins, putting them on 75. If we draw 2, win 2, we end on 74. That's how I think it will go.

Thank fuck football isn't that predictable, though.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #1339 on: April 24, 2017, 03:15:36 pm »
Bookies still fancy us.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1340 on: April 24, 2017, 03:23:46 pm »
Coming into our last 8 games i said we'd just miss out. And it's still looking like the case. I thought the fact our run in is against teams that expose our weaknesses it would be hard for us to fix our problems as the pressure to get results ramps up. And that was before we got even more injuries.

Still, i'm enjoying actually being in the race and not down in 7th with nothing to play for.

I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #1341 on: April 24, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »
Adam Lallana coming back will be massive.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #1342 on: April 24, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »
Bookies still fancy us.

Most prediction models still think that 3 wins all but guarantees it.

To say the next four games are huge for Klopp's tenure at the club, and the club's medium term future in general, would be an understatement.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1343 on: April 24, 2017, 03:41:24 pm »
Adam Lallana coming back will be massive.

You think? I always get the impression he's most impressive against top half teams that try and play us. Allowing his pressing to come to the fore and give him space when we attack. Against bottom half teams that just sit in a low block his pressing is meaningless and like Coutinho he's just getting the ball on the edge of the box looking at a wall of players with nowhere to go.

I think of all the players out Sturridge would be the one we need most. Someone who can finish in tight spaces and from tight angles. Problem is even if he actually gets injury it's doubtful he'll get his sharpness back in time.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #1344 on: April 24, 2017, 03:45:31 pm »
You think? I always get the impression he's most impressive against top half teams that try and play us. Allowing his pressing to come to the fore and give him space when we attack. Against bottom half teams that just sit in a low block his pressing is meaningless and like Coutinho he's just getting the ball on the edge of the box looking at a wall of players with nowhere to go.

I think of all the players out Sturridge would be the one we need most. Someone who can finish in tight spaces and from tight angles. Problem is even if he actually gets injury it's doubtful he'll get his sharpness back in time.

At the very least, he would have been a much better option than anything coming off the bench yesterday.

At the very best he's someone who will actually run behind and show movement for Coutinho to find. Or he will find Coutinho.

Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1345 on: April 24, 2017, 04:00:18 pm »

First half of the season he scored against Hull,  Leicester,  Stoke,Boro and probably others I can't remember from the bottom half. We were playing better as aside then I know bit he can make a difference in these games.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #1346 on: April 24, 2017, 04:15:14 pm »
First half of the season he scored against Hull,  Leicester,  Stoke,Boro and probably others I can't remember from the bottom half. We were playing better as aside then I know bit he can make a difference in these games.

Bottom line - he's a good player, with experience. We need more of those.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1347 on: April 24, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »

Definitely would have preferred him in the center instead of either Emre or Gini yesterday.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1348 on: April 24, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »
There is no way Lallana doesn't improve our starting eleven right now, whoever the opposition may be.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1349 on: April 24, 2017, 04:49:19 pm »
Regarding United:

I don't think they are going to beat City on Thursday. They'll want a point mind.

Then Swansea at home is massive for them, they have to win that.

Then what are they going to do against

Arsenal, Spurs, then Southampton; all away from home?

Draw against the Gunners, lose to Spurs, beat Southampton.

Fuck its going to be tight. We may need United not to win on any of that little run of away fixtures with that Europa league match in between.

Because they finish with Palace without much at stake for the South London team.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1350 on: April 24, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »
Palace might not have anything at stake on the final day but they'll still be awkward to play I think. They're in form and they've developed a reputation for upsetting the big sides. Even if they're safe I think they'd be up for that game, revenge for last season's Cup Final.

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #1351 on: April 24, 2017, 05:17:15 pm »
They'll beat Arsenal.

Palace will roll over.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1352 on: April 24, 2017, 05:28:03 pm »
We need them to lose twice and draw once, provided we win our four games.

Probably not going to happen.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1353 on: April 24, 2017, 05:29:38 pm »
I still believe we will do it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1354 on: April 24, 2017, 05:29:48 pm »

Who....?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #1355 on: April 24, 2017, 05:31:19 pm »

Italics - could happen given who they are playing
Bold - Unlikely given the level of football we have been showing since turn of the year against lower placed teams
JFT97

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1356 on: April 24, 2017, 05:41:04 pm »
75 will be enough - that would represent a huge improvement on last year for starters so even if it misses out we've made huge progress

75 is ordinarily enough for top 4 so again if it isn't its just one of those seasons

The summer is huge for us, CL or no champions league

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #1357 on: April 24, 2017, 05:41:13 pm »
United

City away - 1
Swansea home - 3
Arsenal away - 1
Tottenham away - 0
Southampton away - 3
Palace home - 3

United would finish on 74 points. I feel I've been optimistic with them not winning against any of the big sides.

City have injuries - Mourinho will set United up to be solid. I can't see them getting beat, apparently Aguero and Silva are out. Wenger never beats Mourinho. They'll win the home games, Southampton and Palace will roll over.

Liverpool

Watford away - 1
Southampton home - 3
West Ham away - 1
Boro home - 3

Giving us 74 points also.

I can genuinely see this coming down to GD. Watford are safe but they've got a lot of big lads who'll cause us issues. You can just fucking see Andy Carroll scoring and we've struggled massively against West Ham in recent years. I've got us down for a home win against Southampton but they're another team we've struggled against. We didn't score against them in the league this season and didn't score in 2 legs in the cup. Ive got us down for a win but I can see us dropping points there. I've gone for a home win but I'm far from confident we'll get it.

Be interested to see what others think.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:46:49 pm by Kop307 »
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline MTred406

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1358 on: April 24, 2017, 05:46:07 pm »
Points for 4th the last 6 years:

15-16- 66pts
14-15- 70pts
13-14- 79pts
12-13- 73pts
11-12- 69pts
10-11- 68pts

Average: 70pts

Winning 3 of the next 4 gets us to 75pts, and I still like our chances.  Plenty of room for the others to trip up and take points off each other.

To get to 75:
United needs 12pts from: City, Swansea, Arsenal, Spurs, Southampton, Palace
Arsenal needs 18pts from: Leicester, Spurs, United, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Everton

While the pressure is on us more now that we lost, our rivals have very little room for error either.  So I guess my point is:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:58:31 pm by MTred406 »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1359 on: April 24, 2017, 05:53:10 pm »
Most prediction models still think that 3 wins all but guarantees it.

Think we'll get at least two wins - Watford and Middlesbrough. West Ham might be the toughest game we have left, but a draw will do. Southampton could go any way.