Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 223102 times)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1720 on: July 12, 2023, 02:53:05 pm »
Wasn't there suggestions the family were going to be living in Dubai?

Bahrain, I read. Whether that means they'll never set foot in Saudi though remains to be seen.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1721 on: July 13, 2023, 02:06:26 am »
Bahrain, I read. Whether that means they'll never set foot in Saudi though remains to be seen.
The distance between Bahrain and Dammam is the same as from Liverpool to the Wirral.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1722 on: July 13, 2023, 02:13:23 am »
The distance between Bahrain and Dammam is the same as from Liverpool to the Wirral.
hahahaha. no

maybe you got confused by the scale on a map or something, but it's not even close

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1723 on: July 13, 2023, 03:02:03 am »
hahahaha. no

maybe you got confused by the scale on a map or something, but it's not even close
Maybe not Liverpool and the Wirral, but it is definitely an hour trip. maybe Liverpool to Manchester.

My aunt and uncle lived in Dammam two decades ago and they went and spent the weekends in Bahrain, every weekend. They'd sometime hang out with their friends (if they wanted more fun) during the midweek too.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1724 on: July 13, 2023, 03:54:20 am »
yep, google says Dammam to Manama (capital of Bahrain) is 1 hr 7 min (70.8 km) via Route 80M, and Manama's in the north-east of the country so arriving on the island of Bahrain is an even shorter trip.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #1725 on: July 13, 2023, 07:18:07 am »
I blame Gerrard.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1726 on: July 13, 2023, 09:45:35 am »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1727 on: July 13, 2023, 11:04:59 am »
Gerrard is acting very prickly going after our players.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1728 on: July 13, 2023, 12:06:47 pm »
Gerrard is acting very prickly going after our players.

He's only after Henderson  ;D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: July 13, 2023, 12:08:49 pm »
He's only after Henderson  ;D

He wants Jay Spearing too.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1730 on: July 13, 2023, 01:30:32 pm »
Henderson is a bigger legend than Stevie.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1731 on: July 13, 2023, 01:31:16 pm »
Henderson is a bigger legend than Stevie.

Hendo is a legend, Stevie is an icon.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1732 on: July 13, 2023, 01:32:43 pm »
He wants Jay Spearing too.

that's where I draw the line  :no

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1733 on: July 13, 2023, 01:37:17 pm »
that's where I draw the line  :no

It's not a very high line though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1734 on: July 13, 2023, 01:39:44 pm »
Hendo is a legend, Stevie is an icon.

Maybe. But I think he’s slightly overrated in Liverpool history as a loyal servant. He said he wanted to go to Chelsea after we won the CL. I think there are other Liverpool legends who would never even concider that.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1735 on: July 13, 2023, 02:17:05 pm »
Stevie is an icon.

Maybe so. But he forgets that Liverpool is full of iconoclasts.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: July 13, 2023, 03:25:07 pm »
Maybe. But I think he’s slightly overrated in Liverpool history as a loyal servant. He said he wanted to go to Chelsea after we won the CL. I think there are other Liverpool legends who would never even concider that.
And henderson threatened to leave (inc. to man city) if he wasn't quickly given security of a new contract and a pay rise. and has now asked to leave, while undr that contract. don't see how you can hold something against gerrard but not henderson when he does the same, aside from recency bias (wanting to give hendo benefit of the doubt)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1737 on: July 13, 2023, 03:26:44 pm »

Like who? The only legends you can compare him to are those who never needed to leave Liverpool because they were playing for us at a time when we were not only dominant domestically but in Europe as well, albeit one of those legends actually left for a season to Juventus.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: July 13, 2023, 05:11:46 pm »
Like who? The only legends you can compare him to are those who never needed to leave Liverpool because they were playing for us at a time when we were not only dominant domestically but in Europe as well, albeit one of those legends actually left for a season to Juventus.

Another went to Sampdoria
Jurgen YNWA

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1739 on: July 13, 2023, 06:52:30 pm »
Maybe so. But he forgets that Liverpool is full of iconoclasts.

Indeed. Kenny is golden tier icon. Stevie is silver tier icon.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1740 on: July 13, 2023, 08:29:50 pm »
And henderson threatened to leave (inc. to man city) if he wasn't quickly given security of a new contract and a pay rise. and has now asked to leave, while undr that contract. don't see how you can hold something against gerrard but not henderson when he does the same, aside from recency bias (wanting to give hendo benefit of the doubt)

I just said Henderson is a bigger Liverpool legend than Stevie. If Henderson goes to Saudi he’s just as greedy.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1741 on: July 13, 2023, 08:32:09 pm »
Another went to Sampdoria

And another went to Hamburg.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1742 on: July 13, 2023, 09:26:36 pm »
Indeed. Kenny is golden tier icon. Stevie is silver tier icon.

I'm not certain you know what "iconoclasts" means?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1743 on: July 14, 2023, 12:20:19 am »

;D

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1744 on: July 14, 2023, 12:31:02 am »
I just said Henderson is a bigger Liverpool legend than Stevie. If Henderson goes to Saudi he’s just as greedy.
fair enough on the latter. the former is obviously a wild take though

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1745 on: July 14, 2023, 06:10:28 am »
We won the league with Henderson as captain. We didn’t with Stevie. Henderson has been a better captain than Stevie ever was.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1746 on: July 14, 2023, 06:15:14 am »
We won the league with Henderson as captain. We didn’t with Stevie. Henderson has been a better captain than Stevie ever was.

Henderson has won it with Virgil, Salah and Mane, and Gerrard had to play with fucking Voronin, Kyrgiakos and Dossena.

Also not to mention Klopp.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: July 14, 2023, 06:18:26 am »

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1748 on: July 14, 2023, 06:48:53 am »
Henderson has won it with Virgil, Salah and Mane, and Gerrard had to play with fucking Voronin, Kyrgiakos and Dossena.

Also not to mention Klopp.

Gerrard also played with Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Hyypia. I see no reason why we shouldn’t win the league in 08/09. City is a better team than Man Utd ever was.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1749 on: July 14, 2023, 07:14:34 am »
So Naby Keita is more of a legend than Xabi Alonso? Nat Phillips more of a legend than Hyypia?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: July 14, 2023, 07:19:11 am »
Rafa went to China himself, that deserves nearly as much condemnation as Gerrards move to Saudi, but check his thread and barely a mention.

Rafa's gone to a lot of dodgy clubs - Chelsea for one. But he's got a reputation for making baffling career choices. He might have been paid a shedload, but we know Rafa isn't motivated by money. He's obsessed with the game. He also had a proven track record as a very good manager.

I think it's safe to say that Saudi have not hired Gerrard because of his managerial credentials.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1751 on: July 14, 2023, 07:24:01 am »

Different players. Gerrard was an outstanding individual talent who could raise the whole team and drag them over the line. Henderson never had Gerrard's raw talent, but he had guts, leadership and a great footballing brain.

Jordan excelled at being a big piece in an amazing machine that saw the whole become greater than the sum of it's parts. It's like comparing chalk and cheese.

Stick a young/peak Gerrard into the heart of a Klopp team, where he's free to do his thing and not carry the team, and he probably would have hit almost Messi-esque levels of skill.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1752 on: July 14, 2023, 07:54:47 am »
So Naby Keita is more of a legend than Xabi Alonso? Nat Phillips more of a legend than Hyypia?

No. It’s not «direct logic» like that. But there are arguments that Henderson is a better leader than Gerrard ever was. I personally think so. Gerrard was a more talented player, but a better leader? Sometimes I got the impression Gerrard became moody and introverted in games. He lead «by example», but in body language? Not sure. And I can’t know for sure as I wasn’t on the pitch or in the dressing room.

But we’ve had our most successfull period since the 80s with Henderson as captain and as much as he has played in better teams than Gerrard, I honestly think Gerrard should at least got one league title over the line in some of the teams he played in.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1753 on: July 14, 2023, 08:05:35 am »
No. It’s not «direct logic» like that. But there are arguments that Henderson is a better leader than Gerrard ever was. I personally think so. Gerrard was a more talented player, but a better leader? Sometimes I got the impression Gerrard became moody and introverted in games. He lead «by example», but in body language? Not sure. And I can’t know for sure as I wasn’t on the pitch or in the dressing room.

But we’ve had our most successfull period since the 80s with Henderson as captain and as much as he has played in better teams than Gerrard, I honestly think Gerrard should at least got one league title over the line in some of the teams he played in.

I would agree with that.

Both Gerrard and Henderson are leaders, but they have very different styles. In some ways, Gerrard was leader by default, whether he wanted it or not. He was a talisman who led from the front through his ability. I think the role was occasionally a burden for him, and sometimes it showed.

Henderson is more a classic leader. A general who anchors his troops and drives them forward, letting them use their talents whilst he covers them. Klopp said from the outset that he wanted a team of captains, but he chose Henderson to lead the line. It was all about building trust amongst teammates - one player doing his job knowing another is doing theirs, rather than trying to be everywhere at once or looking over their shoulder to check what someone else might be up to.

Popcorn's Art

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1754 on: July 14, 2023, 08:11:36 am »
Gerrard also played with Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Hyypia. I see no reason why we shouldn’t win the league in 08/09. City is a better team than Man Utd ever was.

the 08/09 had a number of great players, but then a large number of average or even below average PL players who we heavily relied upon, if you take 1 for example nabil el zhar, he made 15 PL appearances in 08/09, which is more games than he played for Morocco in his entire career

If you aren't good enough for Morocco, you shouldn't be good enough for a team that wants to win the PL, but such were our options, back in 2008.

Hendo had far greater support in the squad,  United were super strong in 2009, with Teves, Rooney, berbatov and ronaldo as their options upfront whereas our back up striker was ngog, this hurt us as Torres was very frail that season, missing 14 league games.  Origi whilst not great back up either, wasn't needed as mane/salah/bobby all started well over 30 league games

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1755 on: July 14, 2023, 08:14:18 am »
United wasn’t stronger than City has been. Opinions, but I rate Henderson as a stronger captain than Gerrard. I think fans sometimes makes excuses for Gerrard and are blinded by the local factor. I remember when he publically said he wanted to go to Chelsea. If he wasn’t local I’m pretty sure that would happen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:18:18 am by Raaphael »

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1756 on: July 14, 2023, 08:23:42 am »
United wasn’t stronger than City has been. Opinions, but I rate Henderson as a stronger captain than Gerrard. I think fans sometimes makes excuses for Gerrard and are blinded by the local factor. I remember when he publically said he wanted to go to Chelsea. If he wasn’t local I’m pretty sure that would happen.

Whilst I agree, Hendo might be a greater capt, but if you put Hendo in the 2001 - 2011 LFC team instead of Gerrard we win less trophies, put Gerrard in LFC instead of hendo in LFC 2012 - 2022 and we win more trophies

Saying Gerrard should have won the league title in 2008/9 is silly talk IMO
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:25:50 am by markmywords »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1757 on: July 14, 2023, 08:28:24 am »
Whilst I agree, Hendo might be a greater capt, but if you put Hendo in the 2001 - 2011 LFC team instead of Gerrard we win less trophies, put Gerrard in LFC instead of hendo in LFC 2012 - 2022 and we win more trophies

Saying Gerrard should have won more league titles in 2008/9 is silly talk IMO

That logic is not used with a player like Carragher. Put Carragher in a Klopp team with Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez at his peak and Konate and he wouldn’t play half the games he played. He’s still talked up as a legend. Locals are blinded by local players.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1758 on: July 14, 2023, 10:16:28 am »

See I'm with you with a lot of this stuff, but the idea Gerrard 'should have won us a league' is really silly as is the conclusion that Hendo is a legend but Gerrard isn't. Hendo may (probably) be the better off-field captain, but that doesn't guarantee legend status. Also Hendo discussing a contract with the saudi state team is just as bad if not worse than Gerrard doing it with Chelsea (which you said marred his legend status)

I agree about moody Gerrard, and I think he was quite quiet and introverted (was a lead by example type) - but if you look at Hendo he's definitely moody. Just ask Trent, who always takes an earful from Hendo (usually after Hendo's fuck up, not Trent's).

That logic is not used with a player like Carragher. Put Carragher in a Klopp team with Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez at his peak and Konate and he wouldn’t play half the games he played. He’s still talked up as a legend. Locals are blinded by local players.
Nah you've lost me now, this is just stupidity. If you speak with locals you'll often find that they're the fiercest critics of local players (eg Trent and Curtis, Carragher pre-Rafa full back, Fowler's 'issues') etc.

Liverpool is practically a village, there's always some local (and not just evertonians or taxi drivers!) who knows someone who knows someone who reckons x player is a dick off the field. We had one of those on RAWK this year, some bellend saying shit about Trent's school teachers views. Saying locals are blindly biased and not as smart as you is a really bad reading of the way things are I reckon
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 10:19:57 am by classycarra »

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1759 on: July 14, 2023, 10:35:48 am »
There’s already a video of him taking training going viral for the wrong reasons