Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1447563 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #14360 on: May 22, 2024, 12:57:14 pm »
Because he said so. This isn't speculation.

He has also said he loves being a full-back, he has also said he loves being an inverted full-back. Given that Southgate only sees him as an option in midfield only, it is a perfectly natural comment for Trent. He is hopefully approaching the peak years of his career and England actually have a decent shout in the next couple of tournaments.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14361 on: May 22, 2024, 01:00:49 pm »
He has also said he loves being a full-back, he has also said he loves being an inverted full-back. Given that Southgate only sees him as an option in midfield only, it is a perfectly natural comment for Trent. He is hopefully approaching the peak years of his career and England actually have a decent shout in the next couple of tournaments.

There are quotes of him saying he wants to play in the midfield. How old are the quotes of him saying he loves being a fullback? Five years old?

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #14362 on: May 22, 2024, 01:05:08 pm »
What is the matter with people?

Fucking hell, don't open that door :D
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14363 on: May 22, 2024, 01:26:36 pm »
There are quotes of him saying he wants to play in the midfield. How old are the quotes of him saying he loves being a fullback? Five years old?

The 4-4-2 interview is a good example he talks about how he thinks he can best help the team in the middle of the pitch. He then goes onto talk about how against Villa he was given the freedom to drop into the back line to find space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaEHFk2yqlM

So basically he is saying he thinks the inverted role suits him best. For me he wants freedom more than anything. Being a full time midfield player would severely restrict that freedom.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14364 on: May 22, 2024, 05:07:52 pm »
Can you give me the quotes?

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14365 on: May 22, 2024, 06:28:43 pm »
What is the matter with people? Trent is not going anywhere and he will soon sign a new contract. The idea he will go abroad rather than captain his hometown team is just insane.
I don't think he will leave but you could understand if he did. One year left on his contract, perfect age, joining a club with a brilliant young team with superstars everywhere. Kroos retiring and Carvajal getting on means he could pick his position. They win CLs like they're going out of fashion and with Barcelona in such a mess they are likely to win quite a few domestic trophies over the next few years. Does Trent want to stay and be a part of a new era which may be amazing or may not? We'll find out.

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #14366 on: May 27, 2024, 12:38:07 am »
Midfield next season in my opinion. His defending has become untenable at right back. It’d disappointing that he’s no better now than he was at 20/21 years old (18/19, 19/20 seasons) but I think we’ve got to make the decision to just get him in to the areas of the field where his elite creativity can be used and I think that’s RCM. Trent and Alexis as our two 8s has serious potential if both can play to their best.

He’s never been the best one on one defender but this season I was losing my rag with him to be honest. Felt like he was literally one of the worst one on one defenders i’d ever seen. He’d get rinsed by everyone. I got to the point of feeling like I was just seeing it more because I was expecting it. Confirmation bias essentially. Then I check his stats the other day. He was literally in the bottom ONE PERCENT in all of Europe’s top 5 leagues for full back tackle success rate when being dribbled at.

He still has so many good qualities, but I think now it’s time to admit he isn’t ever going to progress as a defender so lets get him in the positions where he can excel and I feel at this point that’s the right hand side of a midfield three.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #14367 on: May 27, 2024, 03:56:04 am »
When Trent goes walkabout into midfield, is our our midfield any better? Do other midfielders feel the benefit? Do our central defenders feel the benefit?

I'd feel more comfortable with Trent switching to midfield if the answer to those questions was Yes. However I haven't seen it.

I think we can compensate for Trent's defensive weakness as a wingback much better than as a midfielder, without losing his offensive abilities.

Playing midfield is about controlling space, controlling tempo, and choosing where and when to tackle. That's what makes Alexis so valuable besides his excellent passing short and long. I am not convinced that Trent is that kind of player.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14368 on: May 27, 2024, 05:58:35 am »
Slot's arrival needs to be seen as a new start for him. He's stagnated a bit over the last couple of years.

One of the lads on TAW summed up the situation perfectly. Over the last two years we've been giving him more and more freedom to allow him to express his ability on the ball more, but that hasn't actually improved his own performances or the team's performance. On some occasions he's been excellent, but for the most part it feels like he's forcing everything. He is actually one who would benefit from a manager taking a Guardiola approach - being a bit strict and telling him exactly what he wants from him. He's either a RB or a CM. None of this in-between hybrid stuff that damages our shape so much.

That's why I think we have to try him as a midfielder. It's obvious that he doesn't want to remain a RB in this side, and that he doesn't have the heart for defending that he may have done when he was a young player breaking through and trying to impress. Let's take that defensive responsibility off him, get rid of that vulnerable area that so many teams look to exploit on the right-side of our defence, and get him playing like a proper midfielder. He could go on to be the best in the world in that position, that's how much talent he has.

By the way, if Real Madrid want him then I'm 90% sure he ends up there. Not this summer, but next (and on a free!). He's won the lot with us and has come painfully close to major titles on 4 other occasions, he's 25 and will be committing his best years to his next contract. Klopp's left and out of all the players he seemed particularly upset about his departure. His England team-mate, Bellingham, is being treated as a messiah and is away from the toxic England media scrutinising every performance under the microscope. No doubt he will have Bellingham in his ear all summer talking about how good it is there, because he yaps on about it every time a microphone is put in front of him anyway. Real Madrid are set up to continue their domination for the foreseeable, hoovering up all the finest young talent in Europe every summer and will almost definitely have Xabi Alonso managing them in a year. Taking emotion out of it, a move for Real Madrid for Trent just makes sense rather than starting yet another rebuild. BUT - at Madrid he will only ever be a right-back. We give him the opportunity to be a midfielder over the next season and the odds swing back in our favour.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14369 on: May 27, 2024, 09:09:53 am »
Midfield next season in my opinion. His defending has become untenable at right back. It’d disappointing that he’s no better now than he was at 20/21 years old (18/19, 19/20 seasons) but I think we’ve got to make the decision to just get him in to the areas of the field where his elite creativity can be used and I think that’s RCM. Trent and Alexis as our two 8s has serious potential if both can play to their best.

He’s never been the best one on one defender but this season I was losing my rag with him to be honest. Felt like he was literally one of the worst one on one defenders i’d ever seen. He’d get rinsed by everyone. I got to the point of feeling like I was just seeing it more because I was expecting it. Confirmation bias essentially. Then I check his stats the other day. He was literally in the bottom ONE PERCENT in all of Europe’s top 5 leagues for full back tackle success rate when being dribbled at.

He still has so many good qualities, but I think now it’s time to admit he isn’t ever going to progress as a defender so lets get him in the positions where he can excel and I feel at this point that’s the right hand side of a midfield three.
His defending has become untenable? Compared to who?

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14370 on: May 27, 2024, 09:44:38 am »
When Trent goes walkabout into midfield, is our our midfield any better? snip I haven't seen it.

Trent's passing range is a twice as good as any other player in the squad, so of course there are benefits to putting him in midfield.

Don't think it translates into just throwing him into a double pivot but our record with him as an inverted full-back is elite, so why would you change it anyway?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14371 on: May 27, 2024, 10:12:46 am »
Not sure why it's so immediately dismissed he might want to move?
It would not be the worst career move for him to be honest, much as we'd hate to see it happen.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14372 on: May 27, 2024, 10:19:11 am »
What part of Trent’s skill set makes people think he’d actually be a brilliant CM? His passing range is otherworldly and his vision extraordinary. But he doesn’t track runners brilliantly, he isn’t particularly press resistant, he doesn’t have much experience playing on the half turn and it’s not always clear that his short passing is as good as his longer range passing. There is a real logic to sticking your best creative passer as central as possible because it provides him more options and so makes his creative passing more dangerous. But there are so many counter reasons against doing it in Trent’s case. You’d fancy him most as a deep lying DM, because he wants play in front of him as much as possible (because of the lack of experience playing on the half turn and his lack of press resistance), but then you’re sticking him a long way from goal. For me RB, and inverting on occasion, best facilitates his skill set and mitigates against his weaknesses.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 10:25:53 am by Knight »

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14373 on: May 27, 2024, 10:54:35 am »
I reckon he fancies Madrid. The question for him is, will it ever get back to where it was again at Liverpool during his peak years. That side was unbelievably well balanced. Two flying full backs, a midfield ready to run through brick walls, two of the most prolific wide forwards you've ever seen alongside a number 9 that creates assists for fun. Not only that the number 9 tracked back and won challenges. It was such an effective and unique side that couldn't be copied and got the best out of Trent.

So he has two options. Take the vice captains role and trust the club to build something new ready for when he can become captain and lead the club to more silverware or, go to Madrid where he has Bellingham to look after him and Mbappe is about to go to, and where Barca is a mess.

I think he'll leave.
@paulair

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #14374 on: May 27, 2024, 12:48:07 pm »
His defending has become untenable? Compared to who?

A defensively competent right back. Having a lad at full back who is literally one of the worst one on one defenders in Europe isn’t good. If he made up for that by being this incredible mind for defending, who closed angles, tracked runs etc then it compensates slightly. But he doesn’t. I think it’s clearly an issue having him there now defensively. If he was able to get back to his 2018/2019/2020 levels then I think that’s fine. He was unfairly criticised for his defending back then in my opinion. He was never Maldini defensively but he was a solid enough defender. I don’t think that’s where he’s at now and hasn’t been for a while.

His talent is on the ball, so I think putting him in RCM helps that. He’s also not a great defender for a right back, but I think after 6 months of getting used to the position he’d quickly become competent enough defensively for a midfielder.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:54:00 pm by SlotRightIn »

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #14375 on: May 27, 2024, 12:57:15 pm »
A competent right back. Having a lad at full back who is literally one of the worst one on one defenders in Europe isn’t good. If he made up for that by being this incredible mind for defending, who closed angles, tracked runs etc then it compensates slightly. But he doesn’t. I think it’s clearly an issue having him there now defensively. If he was able to get back to his 2018/2019/2020 levels then I think that’s fine. He was unfairly criticised for his defending back then in my opinion. He was never Maldini defensively but he was a solid enough defender. I don’t think that’s where he’s at now and hasn’t been for a while.

His talent is on the ball, so I think putting him in RCM helps that. He’s also not a great defender for a right back, but I think after 6 months of getting used to the position he’d quickly become competent enough defensively for a midfielder.

6 months of a sub par midfielder that doesn't defend well? Hoping that he will come good? In a season where we will be fighting to finish in the top 4? Are those occasional brilliant long passes to our left sided attacker worth it? Not sure.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14376 on: May 27, 2024, 01:17:36 pm »
Not sure why it's so immediately dismissed he might want to move?
It would not be the worst career move for him to be honest, much as we'd hate to see it happen.
He’s won everything with us.

Does he only want to play for Liverpool, does he only want to live there?

Or does he want to try something different too?

I coukd understand it even if I’d hate it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14377 on: May 27, 2024, 01:25:05 pm »
I don't think he will leave but you could understand if he did. One year left on his contract, perfect age, joining a club with a brilliant young team with superstars everywhere. Kroos retiring and Carvajal getting on means he could pick his position. They win CLs like they're going out of fashion and with Barcelona in such a mess they are likely to win quite a few domestic trophies over the next few years. Does Trent want to stay and be a part of a new era which may be amazing or may not? We'll find out.

I really couldn't.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14378 on: May 27, 2024, 02:11:41 pm »

I love Trent but its laughable that he gets to pick his position at Madrid. He is playing right back and they would laugh in his face if he told them he wants to play midfield.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14379 on: May 27, 2024, 02:17:38 pm »
Slot's arrival needs to be seen as a new start for him. He's stagnated a bit over the last couple of years.

One of the lads on TAW summed up the situation perfectly. Over the last two years we've been giving him more and more freedom to allow him to express his ability on the ball more, but that hasn't actually improved his own performances or the team's performance. On some occasions he's been excellent, but for the most part it feels like he's forcing everything. He is actually one who would benefit from a manager taking a Guardiola approach - being a bit strict and telling him exactly what he wants from him. He's either a RB or a CM. None of this in-between hybrid stuff that damages our shape so much.

That's why I think we have to try him as a midfielder. It's obvious that he doesn't want to remain a RB in this side, and that he doesn't have the heart for defending that he may have done when he was a young player breaking through and trying to impress. Let's take that defensive responsibility off him, get rid of that vulnerable area that so many teams look to exploit on the right-side of our defence, and get him playing like a proper midfielder. He could go on to be the best in the world in that position, that's how much talent he has.

By the way, if Real Madrid want him then I'm 90% sure he ends up there. Not this summer, but next (and on a free!). He's won the lot with us and has come painfully close to major titles on 4 other occasions, he's 25 and will be committing his best years to his next contract. Klopp's left and out of all the players he seemed particularly upset about his departure. His England team-mate, Bellingham, is being treated as a messiah and is away from the toxic England media scrutinising every performance under the microscope. No doubt he will have Bellingham in his ear all summer talking about how good it is there, because he yaps on about it every time a microphone is put in front of him anyway. Real Madrid are set up to continue their domination for the foreseeable, hoovering up all the finest young talent in Europe every summer and will almost definitely have Xabi Alonso managing them in a year. Taking emotion out of it, a move for Real Madrid for Trent just makes sense rather than starting yet another rebuild. BUT - at Madrid he will only ever be a right-back. We give him the opportunity to be a midfielder over the next season and the odds swing back in our favour.

Problem with all that is that we then are saying to ourselves that Madrid can just have any player from our side whenever they want. I thought winning top honours and being in the CL was supposed to negate this?

By the way if he leaves on a free then we are up there as a ridiculously run club. Imagine losing a player worth almost £80m who is 25 on a free. On the transfer forum there are loads saying we cant afford the big signings, and yet we let our biggest asset walk out the door?

If he doesnt sign a contract this summer then Id offer him to Madrid for £40-50m.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 02:19:47 pm by killer-heels »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14380 on: May 27, 2024, 02:52:23 pm »
Having a lad at full back who is literally one of the worst one on one defenders in Europe isn’t good.

Oh god.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14381 on: May 27, 2024, 03:03:52 pm »
A defensively competent right back. Having a lad at full back who is literally one of the worst one on one defenders in Europe isn’t good. If he made up for that by being this incredible mind for defending, who closed angles, tracked runs etc then it compensates slightly. But he doesn’t. I think it’s clearly an issue having him there now defensively. If he was able to get back to his 2018/2019/2020 levels then I think that’s fine. He was unfairly criticised for his defending back then in my opinion. He was never Maldini defensively but he was a solid enough defender. I don’t think that’s where he’s at now and hasn’t been for a while.

One of the worst defenders in Europe?
Who do you support again?  I’d bet £5K it’s not Liverpool.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 03:08:52 pm by JRed »

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #14382 on: May 27, 2024, 03:33:33 pm »
Neil Critchley worked with Trent at the Academy when he was a teenager and playing in midfield.
He was moved to right back after talking to Trent and reasoning that he was better when he could see the game in front of him. Right backs move onto the ball quite often with all the field and positions in view.

Neil C;
‘Some of the best coaching goes on off the pitch, in the office, speaking with the players and getting to know them as people,' Critchley explains. 'The plan is always better if it's a joined-up plan and the player believes in it as well. If Trent thought he couldn't play right-back or he wanted to be a midfield player, then it never would have worked.’

'We used to conduct regular reviews with the players. I remember doing quite a few with Trent, sitting down with him and taking him through areas of improvement. When he plays at right-back, he's got a range of technical attributes and the way he sees the game. He'll pass the ball like a midfielder from right-back because he used to play in midfield. We thought that was going to be his position because we thought he was better when he saw the game in front of him. At right-back, you're always moving forward, coming on to the ball. That was something we spoke long about. Many different opinions were shared - sometimes agreed, sometimes disagreed. In the end, it worked out well for him.'

I think there will always be different opinions about Trent as he has special qualities. I think it would help Trent if we had a right sided player in front of him who excelled at helping out defensively. Mo has been world class during his time here but defending was not his strong point. It’s back to Rafa’s blanket if we get a right sided attacker who can defend well and help Trent. You win a little but maybe lose it up front.

Interesting decision to be made by the player and club this summer.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #14383 on: May 27, 2024, 03:44:16 pm »
Oh god.

He LITERALLY is. That’s not an opinion. He is literally in the bottom 1% of full backs for successful tackles when dribbled at.

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #14384 on: May 27, 2024, 03:45:42 pm »
One of the worst defenders in Europe?
Who do you support again?  I’d bet £5K it’s not Liverpool.

Sorry i’m not utterly Trumpian in my support to the point I ignore literal facts. He is in the bottom 1% of successful challenges when dribbled at this past season. How would you describe that if not one of the literal worse at it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14385 on: May 27, 2024, 03:46:32 pm »
He LITERALLY is. That’s not an opinion. He is literally in the bottom 1% of full backs for successful tackles when dribbled at.

You're literally a muppet, a shit one with warn out felt and 115yr old baby puke stains.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14386 on: May 27, 2024, 03:49:45 pm »

You're a good laugh. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14387 on: May 27, 2024, 03:50:09 pm »
Sorry i’m not utterly Trumpian in my support to the point I ignore literal facts. He is in the bottom 1% of successful challenges when dribbled at this past season. How would you describe that if not one of the literal worse at it.
Have you had 115 other accounts on here?

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #14388 on: May 27, 2024, 03:51:11 pm »
Have you had 115 other accounts on here?

Oh am I a City fan now because I said they were cheating c*nts who should be stripped of all their titles and relegated but their players are still good? Whoops.

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #14389 on: May 27, 2024, 03:52:11 pm »
You're a good laugh.

Care to present an actual counter argument to Trent being in the bottom 1% of success tacklers? Or is insults just the way on here when someone presents factual information.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14390 on: May 27, 2024, 03:53:09 pm »
Care to present an actual counter argument to Trent being in the bottom 1% of success tacklers? Or is insults just the way on here when someone presents factual information.

What’s the source for the 1%?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14391 on: May 27, 2024, 03:54:22 pm »

And how many times did he recover.

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #14392 on: May 27, 2024, 03:54:34 pm »

https://fbref.com/en/players/cd1acf9d/scout/365_m1/Trent-Alexander-Arnold-Scouting-Report

Dribblers challenged is how many attempts he makes to challenge, dribblers tackled is how often he’s successful, and then % of dribblers tackled is obviously his percentage of successful challenges which is in the 1 percentile.

Looking back through his years in the first team he had one good year where he was around the 65 percentile but generally he’s bottom 40 percentile. Which was my original point. He never been particularly great at it but this year he fell of a cliff.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 03:59:45 pm by SlotRightIn »

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14393 on: May 27, 2024, 07:49:36 pm »
He’s not literally one of the worst defenders in Europe. But he’s certainly been very poor when dribbled at for a while now. Been mentioned in here plenty.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14394 on: May 27, 2024, 08:17:29 pm »
https://fbref.com/en/players/cd1acf9d/scout/365_m1/Trent-Alexander-Arnold-Scouting-Report

Dribblers challenged is how many attempts he makes to challenge, dribblers tackled is how often he’s successful, and then % of dribblers tackled is obviously his percentage of successful challenges which is in the 1 percentile.

Looking back through his years in the first team he had one good year where he was around the 65 percentile but generally he’s bottom 40 percentile. Which was my original point. He never been particularly great at it but this year he fell of a cliff.
Who is your favourite ever Liverpool player mate?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #14395 on: May 27, 2024, 08:17:34 pm »

He’s clearly an anomaly for this statistic based on how the other numbers stack up. In the 98th percentile for dribblers challenged, 70th for dribblers tackled and 1st for % of dribblers tackled, that suggests the figure driving the percentage down is the number of times he attempts to tackle dribblers, rather than the number of successful tackles he makes on dribblers per 90, which is in a good range. It’s hard to say based on that whether the outcome of those failed tackles on dribblers was in itself bad. The fact he finds himself in the 99th percentile for ball recoveries, I would suggest is also to be taken into account as it potentially suggests his attempted tackles that aren’t successful are allowing him to recover the ball back in a later phase of play, perhaps because he often works in tandem with those around him.

The numbers themselves are hard to interpret by themselves so I’d suggest partnering them with the eye test to see if it holds up that he’s one of the worst defenders in Europe in these situations. I’d suggest he isn’t, from what we’ve seen, and the underlying factor behind that particular metric is instead systemically driven, and isn’t in itself a cause of concern but a known risk for the way we are playing.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14396 on: May 27, 2024, 08:23:09 pm »
Who is your favourite ever Liverpool player mate?

Milner, most likely...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14397 on: May 27, 2024, 08:23:38 pm »
Milner, most likely...
I suspect it’s more likely Dixie Dean
W

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14398 on: May 27, 2024, 08:25:51 pm »

Is he in the 1 percentile for inverted fullbacks whose right-sided attacker doesn't track back?

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14399 on: May 28, 2024, 10:50:41 am »
I don't know exactly where Trent ranks in defensive ability, but I don't like reading posts that essentially say "he doesn't feel like defending, so let's play him where he wants so he doesn't run off to Madrid". This just seems the totally wrong way of looking at things, putting players' egos before the good of the team. Nobody even seems particularly convinced he'd be a great midfielder. It's all a bit depressing.