Author Topic: Liverpool's defence - Giraffes, Walls and Automobiles  (Read 171202 times)

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Re: 'Liverpool haven't strengthened the defence'
« Reply #1280 on: September 10, 2017, 02:15:57 pm »
Well aware of that, they also sold one for 50m and 18m so they paid nothing in the end and didn't really strengthen their defensive squad, nor did they have any positive net spend overall, yet they will still be up there competing. Again not disagreeing that we should have signed VVD, we tried but failed. Should've signed another CB but didn't which was poor also. But again that wasn't the point I was responding to that poster about - the point it is that you can find value even in this market still for defenders, not necessarily spending 40-50mil.

Of course you can find value even for defenders in this market!

We all understand that.

The point is we've tried and failed miserably. If you can't find value there comes a time when you have to spend a bloody big wedge or waste all the money you've spent in other non defensive areas.

We are at that point now or do you want to try another window searching for a bargain buy as we do?
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1281 on: September 10, 2017, 02:21:07 pm »
Totally deluded, you expect Klopp to construct the perfect LFC team in less than 2 years, after being garbage for the majority of a decade, if you and other people wanted a quick fix it's pointless Klopp being here. We can't be that bad because we're in the CL for only the 3rd time in 10 years after knocking out a Hoffenheim team what beat Bayern again yesterday.

The trouble is people wanted Klopp, but they have little understanding of how he works. They want everything to be done in a certain way, ie their way. Not realising its pointless having any top manager unless they are allowed to work the way they do. As long as we are making progress I will continue to support him, and at times even I may wonder about some of his decisions. But sometimes you have to trust them, even if you do have doubts about some of their methods.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1282 on: September 10, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »
Who do you think will do better out of interest. I really am interested in this, as I think we'll be out of ideas and genuine chances if we don't give this man a chance. Also as long as we continue to make progress fans like me will back him.

Klopp is going nowhere for a long long time. He's brilliant and we are lucky to have him so let's not even discuss it.

All I'll say is remember who we are. This is Liverpool Football Club. We knocked Carlo Ancelotti back to hire Jurgen Klopp. We'll be fine.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1283 on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:16 pm »
Who do you think will do better out of interest. I really am interested in this, as I think we'll be out of ideas and genuine chances if we don't give this man a chance. Also as long as we continue to make progress fans like me will back him.

Overall? No one. But if he's stupid enough not to improve the defence in a years time then something has to give. He will though, not even Roy Hodgson would be that stupid.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1284 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:02 pm »
The trouble is people wanted Klopp, but they have little understanding of how he works.
I think people are forgetting he signed a 6 year deal - which is quite unusual these days - he's acting like it by taking his time to build his squad while at the same time being very methodical and careful with people he brings in. Unfortunately most fans can't match that patience, you can already sense Kloppout engines revving up slowly but surely.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #1285 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »
..... Julian Weigl Would cost £75m so doubt we'd be able to afford that......

Of course we could afford that.
We could very easily afford that.
Whether FSG would be prepared to spend that is something else.

As far as our defence is concerned, the saying "Spend peanuts - get monkeys" applies.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1286 on: September 10, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »
Klopp is going nowhere for a long long time. He's brilliant and we are lucky to have him so let's not even discuss it.

All I'll say is remember who we are. This is Liverpool Football Club. We knocked Carlo Ancelotti back to hire Jurgen Klopp. We'll be fine.

I know most think the way we do, and I'm not saying he shouldn't be questioned either, I do it too sometimes. But after what happened to Benitez it is a fact that some of our fan base are quite happy to turn on a manager very quickly. I genuinely wonder if these people have any clear idea of where we would go after Klopp to be honest. Because I'm damned if I do.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1287 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:57 pm »
Totally deluded, you expect Klopp to construct the perfect LFC team in less than 2 years, after being garbage for the majority of a decade, if you and other people wanted a quick fix it's pointless Klopp being here. We can't be that bad because we're in the CL for only the 3rd time in 10 years after knocking out a Hoffenheim team that beat Bayern again yesterday.

God it's impossible to post on here sometimes
Where have I said I expect him to construct the perfect team or that I wanted a quick fix ?
 It's perfectly obvious I was taking about defensive personnel and performance not klopps overall reign

I posted he's had 2 years to buy the defensive players he wants and hes mostly chosen not to or at least he's massively favored attacking players. Not sure that's even contreversial is it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:30:42 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: September 10, 2017, 02:28:02 pm »
I think people are forgetting he signed a 6 year deal - which is quite unusual these days - he's acting like it by taking his time to build his squad while at the same time being very methodical and careful with people he brings in. Unfortunately most fans can't match that patience, you can already sense Kloppout engines revving up slowly but surely.

I think this is where the misconception lies with him, as you say he does things bit by bit and the biggest problem to that is a lot of fans do not have the patience with that approach.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1289 on: September 10, 2017, 02:33:38 pm »
Of course you can find value even for defenders in this market!

We all understand that.

The point is we've tried and failed miserably. If you can't find value there comes a time when you have to spend a bloody big wedge or waste all the money you've spent in other non defensive areas.

We are at that point now or do you want to try another window searching for a bargain buy as we do?
We haven't exactly failed miserably Clyne and Matip were good value. Robertson we'll see, Moreno is doing well again. I agree we should've tried to spend some decent money on CB this season even if it wasn't VVD, just not agreeing we needed to do anything like Man City and focus 100+ million on it.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1290 on: September 10, 2017, 02:37:42 pm »
Your opinion is clearly not in line with Klopp's thinking though, so it's most likely wrong. It's quite obvious even in a back 4 he wants his fullbacks to bomb forward often and press high up the pitch if he is closest to the ball. Just like Robertson vs Crystal Palace, a lot of the time he was nowhere to be seen in defence but Milner was usually there to fill in but when Milner doesn't quite do his job well enough we can get exposed like the time Loftus-Cheek beat Klavan and set up Benteke's crucial miss.

Has any team with fullbacks playing as attacking wingers been successful .... :

a)without playing 3 at the back or
b)not having a Defensive-midfielder or 2 protecting the defence ?

Real madrid were not successful in the immediate years after selling makelele and not playing with a defence midfielder.. (remember those galaticios era ?...haha).

Even barcelona from a few year ago (arguably the best team i have seen).... they had 2 absolute defensive monsters (mascherano and busquets) complementing their attacking players.

This brings me to the hendo and gini midfield combo. When we have fullbacks attacking/supporting the front 3 (firmino, salah, mane) and 1 attacking midfielder (Lallana/Coutinho/Can), what do they really bring to the team if they are not helping out in the defensive aspects of the game ?

Our best league season in the last decade (the 13/14 season) was derailed by an average defence. Well our current defence we have now seems to be even worse than the 13/14 team (i really do think that 13/14 skrtel/agger/sakho are better than 17/18 lovern/matip/klavan).

If we still want to ignore our defensive problems and continue to spend peanuts for defenders....we are not gonna be successful anytime soon.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: September 10, 2017, 02:41:34 pm »
I think this is where the misconception lies with him, as you say he does things bit by bit and the biggest problem to that is a lot of fans do not have the patience with that approach.

"a lot of fans" ... really??
other than the odd blert on 606 (are they even liverpool fans?) .. I don't think I've heard a single fan say they want him out ... even criticising him about anything often meets with derision from the majority of fans

I actually think he has more goodwill than almost any manager I can remember 2 years in without winning a trophy (Benitez had the european cup residual goodwill)
He'll get more time and good will and patience than any other manager at any other big club in modern football.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: September 10, 2017, 02:49:31 pm »
Going back to Jack's comments re our attack slewing the defence stats, is it possible that he just sees attack as the easiest way to improve our defence ?
If your opponent is on the back foot, and too scared to go forward they can't score, and if you do venture into our half we'll press the ball back into our possession, turn you, and create a chance before you've time to regroup.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1293 on: September 10, 2017, 02:54:02 pm »
"a lot of fans" ... really??
other than the odd blert on 606 (are they even liverpool fans?) .. I don't think I've heard a single fan say they want him out ... even criticising him about anything often meets with derision from the majority of fans

I actually think he has more goodwill than almost any manager I can remember 2 years in without winning a trophy (Benitez had the european cup residual goodwill)
He'll get more time and good will and patience than any other manager at any other big club in modern football.

He still has his critics like all managers and those people will always be happy to rock the boat when they can. But like you I'm hopeful that can be avoided for the majority. He just has a very precise way of working, and sometimes people can misunderstand that and feel it's not the best way to do it. I do think winning a trophy this year will give him extra security, I said as much at the start of the season.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1294 on: September 10, 2017, 03:02:49 pm »
Going back to Jack's comments re our attack slewing the defence stats, is it possible that he just sees attack as the easiest way to improve our defence ?
If your opponent is on the back foot, and too scared to go forward they can't score, and if you do venture into our half we'll press the ball back into our possession, turn you, and create a chance before you've time to regroup.

Yes this but also he sees team shape and control of the game as the best defensive mechanisms. When defence is brought up he'll constantly talk about defending as a team and protecting each other.
He operates a zonal system (copied from Sacchi) to try and restrict the opposition, to choke them.
When it works we really have controlled games (when it doesn't work it often gives up big chances)
I don't think he's interested (relatively speaking) in stuff like set piece organisation, defending basics etc
Don't think him and Pep are much different in any of this. Conte and Jose are obviously cut from different cloths.

As has been pointed out though this is a really hard system for the centre backs, keeper and deepest midfielders. They have to be positionally excellent and capable of winning 1v1 battles a lot of the time.
There are 2 questions for me... do we have the personnel to make the system successful enough to do well consistently (can you play like this with keeper that doesn't sweep... can you play like this without super quick centre backs... can you do well in this league without an aerially dominant team etc etc)  and do we do enough work on combatting the more direct / aerial / set piece based football that's played in this division.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #1295 on: September 10, 2017, 03:07:56 pm »
God it's impossible to post on here sometimes
Where have I said I expect him to construct the perfect team or that I wanted a quick fix ?
 It's perfectly obvious I was taking about defensive personnel and performance not klopps overall reign

I posted he's had 2 years to buy the defensive players he wants and hes mostly chosen not to or at least he's massively favored attacking players. Not sure that's even contreversial is it?
You honestly think Klopp is sitting in his office thinking about spending a certain amount on his defence and a certain amount on attack,
he's willing to spend £70million on a centre back. If you pay a bit more attention you would realise top class centre backs aren't easy to find, especially for an attacking team like ours. This is a world where the likes of Arsenal and City are looking to buy Johnny Evans, City have spent £150millon on CB's yet their best CB is a injury prone 30 something Vincent Kompany.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:11:05 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: September 10, 2017, 03:10:34 pm »
Yes this but also he sees team shape and control of the game as the best defensive mechanisms. When defence is brought up he'll constantly talk about defending as a team and protecting each other.
He operates a zonal system (copied from Sacchi) to try and restrict the opposition, to choke them.
When it works we really have controlled games (when it doesn't work it often gives up big chances)
I don't think he's interested (relatively speaking) in stuff like set piece organisation, defending basics etc
Don't think him and Pep are much different in any of this. Conte and Jose are obviously cut from different cloths.

As has been pointed out though this is a really hard system for the centre backs, keeper and deepest midfielders. They have to be positionally excellent and capable of winning 1v1 battles a lot of the time.
There are 2 questions for me... do we have the personnel to make the system successful enough to do well consistently (can you play like this with keeper that doesn't sweep... can you play like this without super quick centre backs... can you do well in this league without an aerially dominant team etc etc)  and do we do enough work on combatting the more direct / aerial / set piece based football that's played in this division.

And yet these are the weakest links in our team ?  :D

It also explains why he wants VVD, aerially dominant, and extremely quick across the grass.
But doesn't explain why we bought Wij ? A player known to be a homer, he plays his best games when we don't really need him, and goes missing when we're likely to.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1297 on: September 10, 2017, 03:29:26 pm »
You honestly think Klopp is sitting in his office thinking about spending a certain amount on his defence and a certain amount on attack,
he's willing to spend £70million on a centre back. If you pay a bit more attention you would realise top class centre backs aren't easy to find, especially for an attacking team like ours. This is a world where the likes of Arsenal and City are looking to buy Johnny Evans, City have spent £150millon on CB's yet their best CB is a injury prone 30 something Vincent Kompany.

Okay.
I don't see the point of relitigating our summer and it wasn't the intention of my post because nothing right now changes the players we have between now and January
Klopp won't be judged on and our teams success won't be seen through the lens of the summer it'll be seen through what happens on the pitch

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: September 10, 2017, 03:34:35 pm »
I want Jurgen Klopp to be our manager for the next decade. I also want Jurgen Klopp to think about the defensive side of the game more and just to bite the bullet and buy a new GK and CB. Two very reasonable wishes I think haha.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1299 on: September 10, 2017, 03:45:11 pm »
Has any team with fullbacks playing as attacking wingers been successful .... :

a)without playing 3 at the back or
b)not having a Defensive-midfielder or 2 protecting the defence ?

Real madrid were not successful in the immediate years after selling makelele and not playing with a defence midfielder.. (remember those galaticios era ?...haha).

Even barcelona from a few year ago (arguably the best team i have seen).... they had 2 absolute defensive monsters (mascherano and busquets) complementing their attacking players.

This brings me to the hendo and gini midfield combo. When we have fullbacks attacking/supporting the front 3 (firmino, salah, mane) and 1 attacking midfielder (Lallana/Coutinho/Can), what do they really bring to the team if they are not helping out in the defensive aspects of the game ?

Our best league season in the last decade (the 13/14 season) was derailed by an average defence. Well our current defence we have now seems to be even worse than the 13/14 team (i really do think that 13/14 skrtel/agger/sakho are better than 17/18 lovern/matip/klavan).

If we still want to ignore our defensive problems and continue to spend peanuts for defenders....we are not gonna be successful anytime soon.
Every modern top team has attacking fullbacks. Even shit teams have attacking fullbacks. I made no mention about the rest of the team. Obviously the rest of the team needs to improve it's positioning and concentration in certain games and situations when the fullbacks or 1 fullback goes high up the pitch and we actually were playing 3 at the back with 10 men when that comment was made. Hendo generally does a good job but we can be caught out in different phases of play where it's not Hendo's job to fill in there - maybe it's Gini, Can or Milner - maybe the CB has to be dragged wide on a few occasions and be good enough to deal with that while the DM drops back to the CB position to cover instead. I also never disagreed we should upgrade personnel in the CB position and get a VVD by spending spending money, of course we should, that would definitely help.

I believe it's much more simple for a fullback to follow instructions of when to attack and when to stay back and when to drop than a CM who has a lot more things to think about in multiple directions and more positions to fill in than a LB. There is currently more competition for Moreno's spot than Can/Gini's for midfield so if he wasn't listening to instructions you would assume he would get dropped. Our other CM options aren't defensively minded either mind you. You see that Watford 2nd goal where all 3 of the current midfield switched off and let their runners go, that is one of the main problems in my view when we go defensively shit apart from set pieces and aerial balls. Another example is the 1st City goal when Hendo does that poor header in the air Can only reacts to De Bruyne when he receives the ball by which time it's too late - Can is probably the worst at smelling danger and tracking runners who don't have the ball (he seems very good when chasing and challeging the ball carrier though which is why he often looks like he is doing a lot defensively). So the midfield has to learn to cope better and be more concentrated defensively, minimising those moments where they switch off.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: September 10, 2017, 04:23:49 pm »
Good points from both penga and bolrick ...quick, clever attacking fullbacks who are also defensively savvy  are essential in effective modern football..

But sorry if I repeat myself. To play this type of football,  as well as a solid and wise centre back who is not only positionally savvy but is also a nasty bastard who bullies his own players and contests every 50/50 decision with the officials, we need a cross between Souness Hannibal Lector and Mascherano bullying the midfield too. This player will  also give our own players shite for 90 minutes but he must  also be  able to play top drawer football today. Souey could do all that and more for us.
Get these two positions sorted and it's happy days. Without, we'd better get use to conceding almost as many as we score.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1301 on: September 10, 2017, 04:31:55 pm »
Another issue I have with us having a leaky defence is that other teams know it, especially lower sides in the league. If they go 1 or 2 goals down against us they probably aren't as disheartened as they should be because they know we are capable of conceding in bunches. Look at the Bournemouth game last year and imagine that happening to any other top 6 side in the league. It wouldn't happen. United might make that particular game boring, Tottenham also. City might still look for goals but wont concede 4 away to a side like that.

That is one example, but mentality in football is such a key thing as it is in any sport. If teams go behind against a big side like us they should see it as a mammoth task to even have a chance of getting back into it. They probably don't and that in itself tells you all you need to know. Sure, we do have some wins where it is 5-0 and teams don't get a kick, but on the other side of that we have games like Bournemouth and Watford and Swansea at home among others whereby teams who should be dead and buried keep respawning and resurrecting because we cannot keep the ball out of our own net.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1302 on: September 10, 2017, 04:45:14 pm »
And yet these are the weakest links in our team ?  :D

It also explains why he wants VVD, aerially dominant, and extremely quick across the grass.
But doesn't explain why we bought Wij ? A player known to be a homer, he plays his best games when we don't really need him, and goes missing when we're likely to.

Yes, we didn't need him on the last game of the season against Middlesbrough, which was only a must win game to get to CL qualifiers. A Meh game perhaps. Or the City game at Anfield which we won by his goal and how we controlled the game. Or the Chelsea Away game where he was a monster, but often gets forgotten. Or the Arsenal Home game. Or any of those big games. Yeah, we didn't need him. We didn't need any of his 6 goals and 9 assists in the league last season.

I'm surprised that this kind of bollocks doesn't get called more often. I understand that we just had a heavy defeat, but context just gets blown out of the window as if all is lost or all is useless.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:49:58 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1303 on: September 10, 2017, 04:56:07 pm »
Another issue I have with us having a leaky defence is that other teams know it, especially lower sides in the league. If they go 1 or 2 goals down against us they probably aren't as disheartened as they should be because they know we are capable of conceding in bunches. Look at the Bournemouth game last year and imagine that happening to any other top 6 side in the league. It wouldn't happen. United might make that particular game boring, Tottenham also. City might still look for goals but wont concede 4 away to a side like that.

That is one example, but mentality in football is such a key thing as it is in any sport. If teams go behind against a big side like us they should see it as a mammoth task to even have a chance of getting back into it. They probably don't and that in itself tells you all you need to know. Sure, we do have some wins where it is 5-0 and teams don't get a kick, but on the other side of that we have games like Bournemouth and Watford and Swansea at home among others whereby teams who should be dead and buried keep respawning and resurrecting because we cannot keep the ball out of our own net.

This is a good point.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Charles Foster Kane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1304 on: September 10, 2017, 05:47:20 pm »
Agree about the Klavan part, it's bewildering how he was brought in as a fourth choice centre back but he we are starting his second session as third choice.

When Klopp came in we were short of centre back options, since then we've lost Sakho, Skrrel and Lucas and signed Matip and Klavan. The central defence has been ignored and under staffed for over two years.
It's baffling. I struggle to understand Klopp's rationale behind this. The only thing I can come up with to explain it is he feels very confident that VVD will join in January and didn't want to bring in someone else as a stop-gap for just a few months. But that's based more on hope than anything else.
"The only reason Liverpool weren't fatally wounded by a first half blitz is the fortunate fact immortals can't be destroyed."
Liverpool Echo 26 May 2005

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool defence thread
« Reply #1305 on: September 10, 2017, 05:59:08 pm »
So the fact we haven't is even more baffling. I didn't include a DM in that because it changes the way we play. But we play with a keeper and CBs we had the chance and the money to improve them. So why haven't we. I've yet to see an answer from anyone that makes sense.

I think Klopp, certainly more than most fans and probably more than most managers, sees players more as people than simply cogs in a system to be switched out and replaced. He didn't upgrade Mignolet this summer, because he sees Karius as that upgrade and isn't ditching him entirely after one shaky spell - and that Mignolet himself responded and improved. He didn't come up with an alternative to Van Dijk because he feels some responsibility for VVD going out on a limb and being left in limbo at Southampton, and hoped that it could somehow happen at the end of the window. I suspect that may not survive the last window, and if VVD is still not for sale in January, we'll find other targets easily enough.

Apart from those personal loyalties, we've been blindsided a little by the Lallana and Clyne injuries; Lallana for his pressing, workrate and link play, Clyne for being probably our most underrated player (the claims that we don't need Clyne and TAA is ready seem to have subsided, for obvious reasons).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1306 on: September 10, 2017, 06:09:28 pm »
This is a good point.

Horses for courses.
Anyone who has ever played football at any level will have that attitude of 'we are still in this' a goal or even two down,the optimism..will to win or get back in the game is always there..at least it always was from my point of view.
Our defence can be good,far too erratic, inconsistent displays & individual errors.
For me..the defence should be the least rotated.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1307 on: September 10, 2017, 06:09:51 pm »
Pretty certain Klopp will wait for Van Dijk whether it's in January or in summer.

Whether it's the correct decision will see .

Thing is he is not the answer as we need more quality defenders alongside him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are way to open as a team and too easy to get at. Klopp hopefully sees this and has to act.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline U-238A

• Main Stander
« Reply #1308 on: September 11, 2017, 07:00:15 am »
First post, long time lurker - Don't think there's a more fitting issue and time to hop into head first.

A lot of the time when people speak about the 'defence', they refer to the back 4 specifically. Not the goal keeper, not the midfielders, but the back 4. The back 4 (Moreno, Lovren, Klavan) are 'not good enough'. Why? Because they concede goals? Name me a CB or back 4 in the world who doesn't. Anyone who has watched football or analyses it to any extent SHOULD be able to understand that the goals we concede, are not simply down to having a 'defence' that isn't good enough. I find it strange that pundits and so called experts attribute our poor 'defence' to our back 4 so often, rarely mentioning anything else. Note, I'm not arguing that our back 4 are good enough, I'm simply arguing the fact that our poor 'defence' and goals conceded being blamed on the back 4 is being completely overstated.

Klopp's philosophy and style of football is what is causing us to concede goals. Whether his philosophy works in the EPL compared to the Bundesliga is for another discussion. But if last year is anything to go by, we did alright and if not for key players being injured or unavailable, we'd have done better - and these players weren't the defenders... Food for thought.

When you play this style of football, your defence begins up the field in the front 3. Firmino, Salah, Mane are the vital cogs in this system for defending. The midfield is just as important, and LEAST, the back 4. Pressuring the ball up the field so the opposition has no time to play the ball is the key to this style. They're forced to play risky passes into midfield to attempt to retain the ball (where our engines nick in and start the counter) or they play long and play against the odds. Defending in this system is quite basic if your forwards and midfielders do their job and do it well - See Arsenal game as an example. They had shit all to do.

Now, when it doesn't go right - ie. Man City/Watford - where we lose a player or any of the front 6 have a bad day or choose to slack off or not defend, we concede just as many goals as our 'sub-par' back 4 are responsible for.  I've analysed the key moments/goals in both Watford and Man City games and find that the problem begins up the pitch. First goal against Watford - Firmino (a forward) doesn't contest the ball. 3rd goal - Gini loses concentration and doesn't clear the ball - Gini, looked to be struggling late in the game - he's a midfielder.

City first goal - Mane doesn't contest the clearance from Mignolet (he's offside yes), and gives Walker a free header back into midfield. Gini loses his 50/50 against Fernandinho (can argue it's a foul) and the first and really only one to react is Aguero. Can is caught ball watching the entire time and reacts far too slowly to the threat that is De Bruyne with time and space. He should've realised as soon as walker had a clear header that this was going to be a sequence of 50/50 contests and should've moved back into position. At this point, Klavan is marking 2 players (but could've stepped up) - so any of Moreno/Matip or Klavan himself could have done better. My point being - any of the forwards, midfield, or defence could have done more to prevent that goal throughout the entire sequence. The rest of the game is history as we've already gone down a player.

The 5-0 is not a reflection of our 'defence' or back 4. The back 4 far too often is blamed. Being 1 man down against that City side is game over. When you cannot press the likes of De Bruyne and Silva, coupled with wingbacks having little to no responsibility defensively, any back 4 in world football would have struggled to keep them out. Neither is the 3-3 or 4-2 against Hoffenheim a reflection. Every defender that plays the game is susceptible to mistakes. Our system and philosophy amplifies them when they rear their ugly heads.

The key is to have a solid and balanced front 6 who know their roles and responsibilities in both going forward and defending - When to press high, when to drop and become compact - and when, or when not to, 'switch off'. A solid defensive midfielder who protects the back 4 is the key we're lacking. Henderson is not a natural DM - his positional sense and tactical awareness is not at the level required. I find him ball watching far too often. Hopefully Keita will prove this.

With all this said, of course, it would be beneficial to have better, solid, consistent, reliable defenders. But replacing the entire backline will not guarantee an improvement in 'defending' or conceding goals. A leader who understand the ebb and flow of the game and has the ability to control it (whether a midfield general or a defender), improved tactical awareness (through training) to understand when to press and when to drop deeper is what will guarantee an improved defence.

Offline Occy

• Anny Roader
  • Loves to Lurk.
« Reply #1309 on: September 11, 2017, 07:20:22 am »
The trouble is people wanted Klopp, but they have little understanding of how he works. They want everything to be done in a certain way, ie their way. Not realising its pointless having any top manager unless they are allowed to work the way they do. As long as we are making progress I will continue to support him, and at times even I may wonder about some of his decisions. But sometimes you have to trust them, even if you do have doubts about some of their methods.

People wanted Klopp because they saw he was having success. However, they didn't understand how he became a success.

I agree with you, he will be successful here I have no doubt. We just need to let him do his job.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:45 am »
People wanted Klopp because they saw he was having success. However, they didn't understand how he became a success.

I agree with you, he will be successful here I have no doubt. We just need to let him do his job.

Good point.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1311 on: September 11, 2017, 08:23:47 am »
Of course it helps. But think back at last season. Teams came to Anfield and played catenaccio and we struggled to find a way through week after week. They did that with worse players, worse defenders than we have. They were organized. At 0-2 and especially 0-3 we showed no intention to attack. And despite that, City found ways to create really good chances and two more goals. We should be able to perform better defensively with the players we have.
Agree, once Mane went off it was a shambolic display. Where was the leadership, the plan?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1312 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:27 am »
Looking at the goals again, it's shocking how much time and space the player setting up the goal has and how the defence continues to try and play a suicidal high-line rather than dropping deep when there's no pressure on the ball. It was liking watching Chelsea under AVB.

Can was particularly bad for the important first goal.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1313 on: September 11, 2017, 09:45:58 am »
Completely agree with most of that mate but I'd go a step further and extend it to our deeper midfielders too - I think Henderson and Wijnaldum were over-praised at times last season for simply facilitating our fantastic front four.

That's not to say they're bad players, far from it, but I think they could be doing much more to protect our defence. I'd be surprised if either won a tackle prior to Wijnaldum being subbed yesterday.

I can never shake that Bournemouth game out of my head; when the going got tough they were both bypassed with frequent ease. What they offer us in possession simply isn't worth more than what someone like Kante, Matic, Wanyama or Fernandinho could offer us with and without it.

For all his limitations I still think it was a mistake to let Lucas go without replacing him - not least because he's a better centre half than Klavan

Looked into this and neither made a tackle all match. While I agree that certain individuals in our back four were/are the bigger issue, that's piss poor frankly. An already limited defence, instructed to play a high line (it would seem) up against the best attack in the league, was given absolutely no protection with ten men.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:51:58 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1314 on: September 11, 2017, 10:01:30 am »
Looked into this and neither made a tackle all match. While I agree that certain individuals in our back four were/are the bigger issue, that's piss poor frankly. An already limited defence, instructed to play a high line (it would seem) up against the best attack in the league, was given absolutely no protection with ten men.
To expand this further;

David Silva - attempted two tackles
De Bruyne - attempted four tackles
Fernandinho - attempted two tackles

Henderson - attempted one tackle
Wijnaldum - attempted one tackle
Can - attempted two tackles

Although this is pretty bad, the main problem for me was three goals were scored with through balls from midfield with absolutely no pressure on the passer.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:08 am »
To expand this further;

David Silva - attempted two tackles
De Bruyne - attempted four tackles
Fernandinho - attempted two tackles

Henderson - attempted one tackle
Wijnaldum - attempted one tackle
Can - attempted two tackles

Although this is pretty bad, the main problem for me was three goals were scored with through balls from midfield with absolutely no pressure on the passer.

They had 66% possession, making 713 passes compared to our 372. You would expect our midfield to have attempted more tackles than their's as a result - and yet they attempted double.

And that's including David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne, who frankly offer far, far, far more on the ball than any of our trio.

The invisible man needs to be dropped.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1316 on: September 11, 2017, 10:06:16 am »
Before people start comparing our defenders to other teams we need to look at the set-ups first.

Spurs have three centre backs and two defensive midfielders starting, that's five players who are defensively minded. Chelsea are the same.

United have bought in Matic to protect their back four, plus they don't commit both full backs forward.

Even City have Fernandinho protecting their defence.

We have two central defenders trying to prevent goals and everyone else are there to contribute to the attack. I doubt we'd see much if any improvement if you stuck two of Spurs centre backs in our team.

Exactly this. Saved me typing out the words.
Although a Robertson, Lovren, Matip, Clyne defence does look much better than Moreno, Klavan, Matip and TAA, it's obvious they wouldn't be able to play all season.

I'm surprised that Klopp doesn't have a CDM. One that stays infront of the defence and isn't committed to attack.
Our attack is great. Coutinho, Mane, Salah, Firmino along with Lallana.
Henderson could sit in front of the defence and we'd still have enough attacking power.
If I get some time spare at work today I might have a look actually where we concede or who is the weak point. I know the stats already, open play conceded goals are too many if we want to win the league in the foreseeable future.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1317 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:11 am »
They had 66% possession, making 713 passes compared to our 372. You would expect our midfield to have attempted more tackles than their's as a result - and yet they attempted double.

And that's including David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne, who frankly offer far, far, far more on the ball than any of our trio.

The invisible man needs to be dropped.

You would expect our midfield to have shit stats, much like our defenders, because we played shit. Done.

We lost 5-0. Not quite sure what you're expecting to get out of this continued 'analysis' based on a game we lost 5-0. We lost 5-0, we were shit. Henderson was shit. Can was shit. Gini was shit. Salah was shit. TAA was shit. Matip was shit. Collectively we were shit, individually we were shit, tactically we were shit. Are you expecting someone to be sitting there going 'Oh I cant believe we lost 5-0, we played well. The midfield were fine, we were just unlucky'? We were shit, its a write-off so write it off.

In terms of tackles, interceptions, passes etc our midfield tend to be pretty high in the stats. I mean we can go back a week and try and go for an analysis based purely on the Arsenal game but again that seems a bit pointless. Because, you know, it was one game.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1318 on: September 11, 2017, 10:31:41 am »
You would expect our midfield to have shit stats, much like our defenders, because we played shit. Done.

We lost 5-0. Not quite sure what you're expecting to get out of this continued 'analysis' based on a game we lost 5-0. We lost 5-0, we were shit. Henderson was shit. Can was shit. Gini was shit. Salah was shit. TAA was shit. Matip was shit. Collectively we were shit, individually we were shit, tactically we were shit. Are you expecting someone to be sitting there going 'Oh I cant believe we lost 5-0, we played well. The midfield were fine, we were just unlucky'? We were shit, its a write-off so write it off.

In terms of tackles, interceptions, passes etc our midfield tend to be pretty high in the stats. I mean we can go back a week and try and go for an analysis based purely on the Arsenal game but again that seems a bit pointless. Because, you know, it was one game.

Close the forum then, you bore.

Some of us like to analyse the match, win, lose or draw, if you have a problem with that, take a break for a week.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: September 11, 2017, 10:34:38 am »
First post, long time lurker - Don't think there's a more fitting issue and time to hop into head first.

A lot of the time when people speak about the 'defence', they refer to the back 4 specifically. Not the goal keeper, not the midfielders, but the back 4. The back 4 (Moreno, Lovren, Klavan) are 'not good enough'. Why? Because they concede goals? Name me a CB or back 4 in the world who doesn't. Anyone who has watched football or analyses it to any extent SHOULD be able to understand that the goals we concede, are not simply down to having a 'defence' that isn't good enough. I find it strange that pundits and so called experts attribute our poor 'defence' to our back 4 so often, rarely mentioning anything else. Note, I'm not arguing that our back 4 are good enough, I'm simply arguing the fact that our poor 'defence' and goals conceded being blamed on the back 4 is being completely overstated.

Klopp's philosophy and style of football is what is causing us to concede goals. Whether his philosophy works in the EPL compared to the Bundesliga is for another discussion. But if last year is anything to go by, we did alright and if not for key players being injured or unavailable, we'd have done better - and these players weren't the defenders... Food for thought.

When you play this style of football, your defence begins up the field in the front 3. Firmino, Salah, Mane are the vital cogs in this system for defending. The midfield is just as important, and LEAST, the back 4. Pressuring the ball up the field so the opposition has no time to play the ball is the key to this style. They're forced to play risky passes into midfield to attempt to retain the ball (where our engines nick in and start the counter) or they play long and play against the odds. Defending in this system is quite basic if your forwards and midfielders do their job and do it well - See Arsenal game as an example. They had shit all to do.

Now, when it doesn't go right - ie. Man City/Watford - where we lose a player or any of the front 6 have a bad day or choose to slack off or not defend, we concede just as many goals as our 'sub-par' back 4 are responsible for.  I've analysed the key moments/goals in both Watford and Man City games and find that the problem begins up the pitch. First goal against Watford - Firmino (a forward) doesn't contest the ball. 3rd goal - Gini loses concentration and doesn't clear the ball - Gini, looked to be struggling late in the game - he's a midfielder.

City first goal - Mane doesn't contest the clearance from Mignolet (he's offside yes), and gives Walker a free header back into midfield. Gini loses his 50/50 against Fernandinho (can argue it's a foul) and the first and really only one to react is Aguero. Can is caught ball watching the entire time and reacts far too slowly to the threat that is De Bruyne with time and space. He should've realised as soon as walker had a clear header that this was going to be a sequence of 50/50 contests and should've moved back into position. At this point, Klavan is marking 2 players (but could've stepped up) - so any of Moreno/Matip or Klavan himself could have done better. My point being - any of the forwards, midfield, or defence could have done more to prevent that goal throughout the entire sequence. The rest of the game is history as we've already gone down a player.

The 5-0 is not a reflection of our 'defence' or back 4. The back 4 far too often is blamed. Being 1 man down against that City side is game over. When you cannot press the likes of De Bruyne and Silva, coupled with wingbacks having little to no responsibility defensively, any back 4 in world football would have struggled to keep them out. Neither is the 3-3 or 4-2 against Hoffenheim a reflection. Every defender that plays the game is susceptible to mistakes. Our system and philosophy amplifies them when they rear their ugly heads.

The key is to have a solid and balanced front 6 who know their roles and responsibilities in both going forward and defending - When to press high, when to drop and become compact - and when, or when not to, 'switch off'. A solid defensive midfielder who protects the back 4 is the key we're lacking. Henderson is not a natural DM - his positional sense and tactical awareness is not at the level required. I find him ball watching far too often. Hopefully Keita will prove this.

With all this said, of course, it would be beneficial to have better, solid, consistent, reliable defenders. But replacing the entire backline will not guarantee an improvement in 'defending' or conceding goals. A leader who understand the ebb and flow of the game and has the ability to control it (whether a midfield general or a defender), improved tactical awareness (through training) to understand when to press and when to drop deeper is what will guarantee an improved defence.

Good first post  :wave