Author Topic: Liverpool's defence - Giraffes, Walls and Automobiles  (Read 170494 times)

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 'Liverpool haven't strengthened the defence'
« Reply #1160 on: September 10, 2017, 08:22:58 am »
We needed Oxlade Chamberlain. But we also needed defenders.

Lallana coutinho mane salah firmino

Matip klavan lovren

I know which I'd strengthen first.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #1161 on: September 10, 2017, 08:25:11 am »
We've got a lot going for us going forward but we won't win a thing because of the defence and the lack of good options (Moreno and Klavan away at City ffs and that's without injuries). It's the 90s all over again.

You build teams from the back. Funny how when we did that in the early 2000s we started winning trophies again.

Not having that. I don't recall Barca or Madrid building from the back first. We're just used to managers building from the back first.
Just because Klopp has a different approach doesn't make it wrong.
And my goodness, we have thebest record against the top 6 since Klopp came, yet all it takes is one loss before we start doubting his philosophy?
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1162 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:11 am »
Klopp signed Karius cos Mignolet isn't good enough, when it turned out Karius isn't ready yet he goes back to the player we already know isn't good enough.

Ok so at that point the option was what? Go and sign another keeper after a few weak games? He signed a young keeper, played him, took him out of the firing line and Mignolet came back in a did pretty well.

He knows Clyne isn't fit till Jan, so he sticks with 18 year old rb till then.

Again, other option being what? Go and spend money on someone to move ahead of two promising young RBs, for the sake of 6 months without Clyne?

He knows surely that klavan and lovren aren't good enough cos he has eyes. Yet here they are.

Well clearly, he rates both of them. As has been demonstrated countless times he's bigged both of them up.

He knows Moreno couldn't get a game last season and tried to ship him off but noone wanted him, so instead he plays him against top teams!

And he's had the summer to see if he's improved, and he clearly has, and he's clearly now happy to play him against the top teams, and he really hasn't been any sort of problem so far

Klopp had chances and knowledge to improve the defence but he didn't. He weakened it by getting rid of our two most passionate players in lucas and Sakho and not replacing them. U love him but hes fucked this one up. We didn't need ox, we needed defenders and a good keeper.

Ahhhh ok ;D That was your point.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1163 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:55 am »
Klopp signed Karius cos Mignolet isn't good enough, when it turned out Karius isn't ready yet he goes back to the player we already know isn't good enough.

He knows Clyne isn't fit till Jan, so he sticks with 18 year old rb till then.

He knows surely that klavan and lovren aren't good enough cos he has eyes. Yet here they are.

He knows Moreno couldn't get a game last season and tried to ship him off but noone wanted him, so instead he plays him against top teams!

Klopp had chances and knowledge to improve the defence but he didn't. He weakened it by getting rid of our two most passionate players in lucas and Sakho and not replacing them. U love him but hes fucked this one up. We didn't need ox, we needed defenders and a good keeper.
Apart from the ox bit this is spot on. The only positive I can take is that this came after the international break - perhaps after more coaching we  may see an improvement defensively

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1164 on: September 10, 2017, 08:34:16 am »

And my goodness, we have thebest record against the top 6 since Klopp came, yet all it takes is one loss before we start doubting his philosophy?

It's not about his philosophy, it's about having good enough defensive options. Spurs play a similar way but they have good defenders so don't concede many.

If we had their defence we could win the league.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1165 on: September 10, 2017, 08:35:36 am »
It's not about his philosophy, it's about having good enough defensive options. Spurs play a similar way but they have good defenders so don't concede many.

I see this quite a lot, and I watch a decent amount of Spurs when they're on, and I just don't see it at all.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1166 on: September 10, 2017, 08:37:32 am »
Spurs often play with three centre backs and have two defensive midfielders ahead of them. Their system is far more balanced than ours.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1167 on: September 10, 2017, 08:45:34 am »
Spurs often play with three centre backs and have two defensive midfielders ahead of them. Their system is far more balanced than ours.

Well personally i'd always play with a defensive midfielder and I think that's crippled us since Masch left or since Lucas did his cruciate. A DM is needed to balance a team.

Poch has built a team from the back though and a DM is part of that. They're still a high pressing team who are good to watch though and have attacking full backs.

Spurs have two of the best centre halves in the league and yet their big signing in the summer, the club record deal, was another centre back.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1168 on: September 10, 2017, 08:55:22 am »
Well personally i'd always play with a defensive midfielder and I think that's crippled us since Masch left or since Lucas did his cruciate. A DM is needed to balance a team.

Poch has built a team from the back though and a DM is part of that. They're still a high pressing team who are good to watch though and have attacking full backs.

Spurs have two of the best centre halves in the league and yet their big signing in the summer, the club record deal, was another centre back.
Pochetino sets his team up with much more balance which gives his centre backs lots of protection. Lovren was one of the best defenders in the league in his Southampton team which convinced us to buy him.

The thing is it's really difficult to rate other teams defenders as they're much more exposed in our team and have to make more decisions.

I've said it before but in our team the centre halves and keeper are the only players looking to stop goals, everyone else are set up to attack.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:58:29 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1169 on: September 10, 2017, 08:55:54 am »
Carragher, Adams, Keown, Morgan, Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry, Hyypia,
need any more name?

The difference is, they were all top quality players on the down turn from a great height. Klavan is getting old and was not good enough for this level to begin with.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1170 on: September 10, 2017, 08:57:19 am »
I see this quite a lot, and I watch a decent amount of Spurs when they're on, and I just don't see it at all.

I would agree with that, I just cannot see it either. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1171 on: September 10, 2017, 09:00:16 am »
Lallana coutinho mane salah firmino

Matip klavan lovren

I know which I'd strengthen first.

There is nothing to suggest signing a defender was put to the back burner because of signing Oxlade Chamberlain.

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1172 on: September 10, 2017, 09:12:20 am »
Guess it depends if you want to spend some of your budget for a half decent player now or wait to get that player that can take us up a level . The fact klopp met vvd in the summer shows his aims at improving the defence was there. Now its just a case of how long is he willing to pursue him for and how long the fans will give him to assemble his squad

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:16 am »
Guess it depends if you want to spend some of your budget for a half decent player now or wait to get that player that can take us up a level . The fact klopp met vvd in the summer shows his aims at improving the defence was there. Now its just a case of how long is he willing to pursue him for and how long the fans will give him to assemble his squad

It doesn't make sense to have seven or eight top calibre players for CM and just one or two at centre half. It was a dereliction of duty to let two centre halves leave the squad and not replace them.

The idea that there wasn't a player better than Ragnar is more a reflection of our scouting than the market.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:18:18 am by Voltaire »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1174 on: September 10, 2017, 09:26:59 am »
I thought the idea to play Karius was to get him some competitive football as he is set to be our European goalie this year? That's what I had in my mind.

We can only go on what we see, and that isn't a lot. Admittedly, it is speculation. It confuses me that Klopp, who indeed picks the team, thought he was fit enough to play from the bench if needed, just not to start. That's where I find it all strange. Had Lovren played then we might have still conceded 5, but he wouldn't have hid on the pitch. That is his downfall at times, so he was needed in that regard. So if he was so injured, don't put him on the bench. It just sticks in my craw a little bit.

Same to you mate, let's hope we get back to winning ways. Football is shit sometimes, but it'll be good again soon  :)
It's not hard to understand. Why does Klopp frequently put Sturridge on the bench knowing he can't play 90 minutes at the required intensity? Why was Gomez on the bench similarly instead of TAA after that excellent Arsenal performance? Why does the Brazil manager have an unfit Coutinho on the bench? Because they can still impact the game in shorter minutes or play if necessary in case of emergency e.g. 1 or 2 of our CBs got injured. The fitness people would assess the risk level of starting Lovren and playing 90 minutes after his international games and would've given some details to Klopp to then make his decision. Just like they monitor Coutinho's training even in Brazil to assess what the best option will be to get him back into the team. It would also be factored in there are a lot of games in a row coming up in a short time, plus Klavan has shown in the past he was able to play against Man City reasonably well last season conceded 1 goal in 2 games so it could be conceivable a fresher Klavan could perform good enough that's why Klopp made the decision as opposed to guessing Lovren said he felt tired as the main reason with no actual quotes.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1175 on: September 10, 2017, 09:37:20 am »
I think there's more to our defending than the actual defenders. Yes, it's our weakest area (back four and keeper), but we defend as a unit. Or we should. I'd like us to be able to rely on our defence more than we can now. I mean, if almost any side could come to Anfield and park the bus and get a decent result, we should be able to do the same when we need to. I'm missing that part of our game and it can't be just about the back four/five.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1176 on: September 10, 2017, 09:39:37 am »
I think there's more to our defending than the actual defenders. Yes, it's our weakest area (back four and keeper), but we defend as a unit. Or we should. I'd like us to be able to rely on our defence more than we can now. I mean, if almost any side could come to Anfield and park the bus and get a decent result, we should be able to do the same when we need to. I'm missing that part of our game and it can't be just about the back four/five.

Its not just the defence. The midfield really does lose its shape at times and especially the trio we have yesterday.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #1177 on: September 10, 2017, 09:47:43 am »
Our defence was woeful yesterday, Moreno & Klavin Operating at the left side of our defence proves how weak we are. If any team sees those two on the start sheet they will immediately say"hit them down the left" it's a terrible weakness we have. When obviously we weren't the best there last season we were certainly better. Milner and Lovren are a far better option than those two. Why isn't Robertson getting the nod over the hapless Moreno, who lets face it should be a footnote, at best in the history of weak left backs to play for us by now.
C'mon Juergen sort it out 😡
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1178 on: September 10, 2017, 09:49:19 am »
Our defence was woeful yesterday, Moreno & Klavin Operating at the left side of our defence proves how weak we are. If any team sees those two on the start sheet they will immediately say"hit them down the left" it's a terrible weakness we have. When obviously we weren't the best there last season we were certainly better. Milner and Lovren are a far better option than those two. Why isn't Robertson getting the nod over the hapless Moreno, who lets face it should be a footnote, at best in the history of weak left backs to play for us by now.

What goals do you think Moreno was responsible for?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1179 on: September 10, 2017, 09:50:24 am »

I think Moreno should've been moved on but it'd be ridiculously harsh to pin blame on him for yesterday's disaster.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1180 on: September 10, 2017, 09:57:03 am »
I think this issue is so complex that it simply won't get fixed because of 1 or 2 actions.

I am trying to work out the sequence of events from the point at which we had to issue the VVD apology. Surely we knew then yhat the chances of signing him in this window was slim. That being the case, I think we should've gone for another player to be 2nd/3rd spot, with a view of moving Klavan on if we did actually end up getting VVD as well. Clynes injury just makes it even more baffling.

My only theory on why we didn't do this is that Klopp has recognised his own failures to set up the defensive side of the game and until he is able to coach this to us effectively, only the very best will improve us and anyone below that tier will look worse than they actually are when playing in our team.

Why Klopp hasn't been able to sort this out is a mystery. Goals conceded by being too open is acceptable if annoying but issues such as set pieces are not as they come down to multiple individual errors.

The 2nd goal we conceded yday was really bad, and wasn't down to being a man down. We need better focus by our CBs as they tend to drift in games.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline northern Monkey

• Kopite
« Reply #1181 on: September 10, 2017, 09:59:45 am »

While I wouldn't be surprised to see Robertson as first choice later in season, there isn't any major reason from this season to be on Moreno's back. Certainly not yesterday.  He could have had the game of his life and looked like Maldini yesterday and we would still have been stuffed.  It's a team game and sometimes it's the TEAM at fault not any one part of it.

Support the lad while he wears the shirt, try not to be prejudiced against him due to his historic performances and instead judge him on the actual games.

I do think improving the defensive side of our play has to be a major focus now but it really isn't as simple as playing Champ Manger and swapping players in and out.

Our problems are every bit as systemic as they are down to any one or two players.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1182 on: September 10, 2017, 10:07:30 am »

Having decent players at the back wouldn't do any harm though would it

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1183 on: September 10, 2017, 10:42:33 am »
It's baffling that a world class manager can't organise/build a solid defensive base. We're a shambles at the back and you would be hard pushed to find anyone outside of RAWK who disagrees. What am I missing?

Hmm, will disagree that Klopp is a world class manager. World class managers don't bypass the defence and lose 5 out of the last 6 finals they play in. Very good manager, but not quite world class in my opinion.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1184 on: September 10, 2017, 10:48:28 am »
That calls for some pragmatiism.

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #1185 on: September 10, 2017, 10:53:17 am »
That calls for some pragmatiism.

I think we've seen a slightly more pragmatic approach this season, and I think that bodes well against the smaller, counter attacking teams that have broken against us in the past, but you lose a bit of the unpredictability against the sides that want to come and play. Bit of a trade off but to me it suggests they're aware that full out, gegenpressing may not work as well over here.

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #1186 on: September 10, 2017, 10:59:19 am »
I think we've seen a slightly more pragmatic approach this season, and I think that bodes well against the smaller, counter attacking teams that have broken against us in the past, but you lose a bit of the unpredictability against the sides that want to come and play. Bit of a trade off but to me it suggests they're aware that full out, gegenpressing may not work as well over here.

That's an interesting idea, I could see the merit in that argument. Generally, our play is evolving, and it's unreasonable to expect that that will just have upside, there's likely to be downside too, and perhaps we've just seen a bit of that? An idea to come back to in a few months.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1187 on: September 10, 2017, 11:01:00 am »
Not seen it myself.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1188 on: September 10, 2017, 11:03:33 am »
My only theory on why we didn't do this is that Klopp has recognised his own failures to set up the defensive side of the game and until he is able to coach this to us effectively, only the very best will improve us and anyone below that tier will look worse than they actually are when playing in our team.

He can't be that bad because it has improved from the Rodgers era when every defender we had was hopeless.

Matip has generally been good in a Liverpool shirt. Sakho was very good under Klopp for the most part, particularly in that run to the Europa final. Lovren has been hit and miss which he has been everywhere he's been. Klavan is and was just a cheap, journeyman back up option.

Clyne and Milner were defensively solid last at full back, whereas Moreno has always been a defensive liability, even at Sevilla.

Better defenders would make a difference. A better goalkeeper would make a difference. A DM would make a difference. It isn't all systemic, it's personnel.

Klopp got Dortmund to a CL final against the odds, Liverpool to a Europa final, Dortmund to a German Cup double after years in the doldrums. You don't do all that if you're clueless about defending. It's not quite Kevin Keegan or Brendan Rodgers, is it?

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #1189 on: September 10, 2017, 11:06:18 am »
Not seen it myself.

I don't think we're pressing as aggressively or playing as high.

I actually think Klopp and his team had a bit of an existential mini crisis last year and have had a good luck at adapting what worked for them so well in Germany.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1190 on: September 10, 2017, 11:08:59 am »
You must of missed the part where I said "until it's clear that his preferred player won't come in the near future".
That was clear in June.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1191 on: September 10, 2017, 11:09:01 am »
Roberto Firmino.
Mohamed Salah.
Sadio Mane.
Philippe Coutinho.
Naby Keita.

That is our front 5 next season. Maybe some other top class footballer like Lemar if Coutinho left. But just assume he doesn't. Look at that front 5. That is out of this world. That is legit as good as anything else anyone in this league will be able to put out. It is elite. And not in a deluded red tinted specs kind of way. That is just genuinely brilliant. Every single one of those players could win a game with a moment of brilliance. It will be an outstanding attacking line up as good as anything this club will have had for the last circa 30 years.

Do not waste it.

That is why I am so desperate for us to sort our defence, because that attack is league winning. Genuinely league winning. I don't want another 13/14 where we have this amazing attack getting ruined by our defence. Give that front 5 what they deserve. A strong foundation behind them. Imagine if we were able to sign defenders as good at their job as our attackers? That is how you win things. By being a BALANCED football team.

Virgil Van Dijk would have been a great start. A top quality centre back. But we need that standard in more than just one position. We need that standard at goalkeeper, at both full back positions, and at defensive midfield.

The club has done brilliantly to build what will be one of Europe's top attacking line ups. Now build one of Europe's best defences.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1192 on: September 10, 2017, 11:10:01 am »
Aside from personnel I do think we need to manage games better, we are quite naive. City's second goal yesterday was easily preventable with proper positioning but people are bursting forward out of position when we just need to see it out until half time. We lack nous in that respect.

Sometimes you just need to sit back and take 5 or 10 minutes out the game.

We don't need 4 world class defenders, we just need to be smarter and have certainly 3 or 4 good options at centre back. We currently only really have 1 and arguably 2. Moreno should not be our starting left back either.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:11:54 am by Fromola »

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1193 on: September 10, 2017, 11:11:14 am »
We were threatened with legal sanction and had to publicly apologise, promising we wouldn't make a bid, mate.

Fine get someone else in. There's quite a few to choose from. Go back for Van Dijk in future if we really want him.

We have cash in the bank and a shite defence. Its helping no one. We have a great attack and so all we needed was to improve the defence and I believe we would have challenged. But instead the Van Dijk situation has meant we have to lower expectations, again.

I doubt this is on FSG at all and if Klopp wanted another CB we would have got them. So I find it incredible he's shot himself in foot like he has. Why was it Van Dijk or no one? Does he really believe the defence is good enough? Surely he's an intelligent guy and knows it's not so I can't fathom what he was thinking. Is he trying to prove something? Something just doesn't make sense.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1194 on: September 10, 2017, 11:11:36 am »
He can't be that bad because it has improved from the Rodgers era when every defender we had was hopeless.

Matip has generally been good in a Liverpool shirt. Sakho was very good under Klopp for the most part, particularly in that run to the Europa final. Lovren has been hit and miss which he has been everywhere he's been. Klavan is and was just a cheap, journeyman back up option.

Clyne and Milner were defensively solid last at full back, whereas Moreno has always been a defensive liability, even at Sevilla.

Better defenders would make a difference. A better goalkeeper would make a difference. A DM would make a difference. It isn't all systemic, it's personnel.

Klopp got Dortmund to a CL final against the odds, Liverpool to a Europa final, Dortmund to a German Cup double after years in the doldrums. You don't do all that if you're clueless about defending. It's not quite Kevin Keegan or Brendan Rodgers, is it?
Rodgers conceded 1.23 goals per game on average, Klopp is currently 1.25.

We also conceded 1.4 goals a game under Klopp with Sakho starting so no idea why you think he was very good.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:14:52 am by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1195 on: September 10, 2017, 11:13:34 am »
We have quite clearly strengthened our real depth basically in all areas except CB whether by improvement of our own players or new signings so ignore all the other squad depth accusations...factoring in players like Stewart or Sakho doesn't count because they were basically not used so can't be compared to this season's depth. Also we have many versatile players that helps us. CB was very important though...

GK: Added Ward = more bodies in depth
LB: Added Roberston plus Moreno has outcompeted Milner so we have a fair bit more depth there regardless of how people think Moreno is shite - we could still use the same player we had their last season if Klopp wanted to. Basically added 2 LBs since Moreno barely played at all.
CB: Lost 4th choice Lucas, replaced with Gomez
RB: Gained TAA (more experience/development) and Gomez - unfortunately Clyne injured but made no sense to buy another RB to be honest. Also Flanno is a body.
CDM: Lost 3rd choice Lucas but position can be filled in by Gini/Milner
CM: Added Ox, Milner (as result of LB situation), Coutinho (at times because of buying Salah)
Wings: Added Salah (and Ox)
Striker: Added Solanke, lost Origi.

Fully fit starting lineup last season:
Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Hendo, Gini, Lallana, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho
Bench: Karius, Klavan, Lucas, Moreno, Can, Sturridge, Origi
Decent squad players: 0
Young players (in 1st team): TAA, Grujic, Woodburn, Stewart, Ejaria (all barely played any minutes)

This season starting lineup:
Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Hendo, Coutinho, Lallana, Mane, Firmino, Salah
Bench: Karius, Gomez, Klavan, Milner, Can, Ox, Sturridge
Decent squad players: Gini, Robertson, TAA, Ings, Ward
Youth players: Woodburn, Grujic, Ejaria, Flanno (expect improvement)

Basically we upgraded 2 players in starting 11, and another half if you include Moreno > Milner lol. Upgraded that bench maybe by 1 or 2 depending on how you view things and added up to 5 squad options that can be rotated into the team without too much drop in quality which we never had last season - with Gini and Robertson just about good enough to push for starting positions, TAA as a 2nd choice and the others 3rd choice.

Compare to Chelsea this season:
Starting: Courtois, Azpi, Luiz, Cahill, Moses, Alonso, Kante, Fabregas, Hazard, Morata, Pedro
Bench: Cabellero, Rudiger, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Willian, Batshuayi
Squad: Christensen, Musonda, Kenedy

Spurs:
Starting: Lloris, Trippier, Vert, Alder, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Alli, Eriksen, Son, Kane
Bench: Vorm, Aurier, Sanchez, Davies, Wanyama, Sissoko, Llorente
Squad: Winks, Lamela, N'Koudou, Walker-Peters

Can't really compare with the millions of Man City and Man Utd but there are still weaknesses in squad depth for them:
Man City no backup left footed LB for Mendy, no real no.6 like Fernandinho - next best option is to use Yaya and De Bruyne or Danilo there...not ideal. Also Kompany is a crock and 3rd/4th CBs are Stones/Mangala.

Man Utd: Probably missing a good winger. Left back doesn't look the strongest with Blind and Shaw though they are decent. CM options outside Pogba, Matic, Mata are Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini vs ours Can, Gini, Milner, Ox.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:20:32 am by penga »

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1196 on: September 10, 2017, 11:18:09 am »
Rodgers conceded 1.23 goals per game on average, Klopp is currently 1.25.

Rodgers did tend to have spells here and there where things would be tighter at the back, which improves the overall average, but then the plaster would come off and we'd leak like a sieve again. His first season Carragher came back into the side and we pretty much just sat back and defended deep and Reina commanded a lot more confidence in the defence than Mignolet. in 14/15 we went 3 at the back which worked for a couple of months and then after that Swansea game it went to shit again.

Klopp inherited a total mess when he walked in. That left 15/16 a bit of a write off and we just went all out in the cups. Last season I don't think we were too bad defensively but defensive injuries would bite at times relying bloody Lucas at centre back in games like Bournemouth.

This summer was where we needed to put it right by signing good defenders and we didn't.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1197 on: September 10, 2017, 11:26:43 am »
Until Klopp gets ruthless this conceding goals is going to continue.

On their day individually are defence is quite good. But they are all so inconsistent.

Mignolet - done okay recently, but can he easily be improved on - definitely. Watching Butland yesterday so much better imo.

RB - clyne and TAA yeah they are both okay but both weak in air unfortunately.

LB - Moreno and Robertson - Robertson looks good but too early, Moreno has been awful for us apart from odd good game

CB - matip good most of time but still has brain farts. Lovren - too many errors, Klavan - journeyman. Gomez - young player with potential

DM - Henderson and Can - neither a true no. 6

There was a debate whether it was lack of quality of set up. I'd say is 75% lack of quality.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #1198 on: September 10, 2017, 11:27:15 am »

Yeah this is a bit of a myth. Spurs are like a bland version of Rafa's Liverpool. Well organised, will win games but will also drop a lot of points because they don't have the creativity in midfield.

Oh agree with Fromola as well, I think Rodgers record is skewed somewhat by the Carragher/Agger spell and then that period where he switched to 3 at the back but didn't look that great so far as scoring goals is concerned. But the results came about from a lurch in style, Klopps obviously trying to reduce it through coaching and staying true to his formula that works.

Obviously we should strengthened the central defensive areas but at the same time he hasn't inherited two elite defenders like Brendan did (albeit both had their issues with regards to age & health).

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1199 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:29 am »
Until Klopp gets ruthless this conceding goals is going to continue.

On their day individually are defence is quite good. But they are all so inconsistent.

Mignolet - done okay recently, but can he easily be improved on - definitely. Watching Butland yesterday so much better imo.

RB - clyne and TAA yeah they are both okay but both weak in air unfortunately.

LB - Moreno and Robertson - Robertson looks good but too early, Moreno has been awful for us apart from odd good game

CB - matip good most of time but still has brain farts. Lovren - too many errors, Klavan - journeyman. Gomez - young player with potential

DM - Henderson and Can - neither a true no. 6

There was a debate whether it was lack of quality of set up. I'd say is 75% lack of quality.

We are not finding a right back who is good defensively, in attack and good in the air.

People slag Clyne off loads but his defending and solidity is excellent. If we had more fullbacks like him we would be fine.