Author Topic: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell  (Read 449527 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell
« Reply #680 on: October 29, 2016, 09:48:40 pm »
They probably wouldn't have actually. They would have done what he did and realised that he wasn't getting to the ball and needed to consolidate by getting goal side. The correct thing to do would have been to stop a touch later than he did so that he was closer but not so close that Zaha could play the ball past him with one touch or win a penalty.

He should be closer from the initial ball. That is the mistake. The ball is in the air for an age.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: October 29, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »
Did very well today. More of this please.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #682 on: October 29, 2016, 09:53:44 pm »
Did very well today. More of this please.

Thought he added an extra dimension and was prepared to run in behind. Palace wanted to hold a line around 35-40 yards from goal but Moreno and Mane completely nullified that.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #683 on: October 29, 2016, 09:56:30 pm »
His best game for us for a long time.

Well done.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #684 on: October 29, 2016, 09:59:50 pm »
I think there's some serious backhanded complementing going on here. Moreno was class, he absolutely terrorised them in the first half and put in a string of important tackles in the second. He was utterly tireless, and a constant outlet. Good on him.
And the assist for Can's goal. And hit the post. Well done lad.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: October 29, 2016, 10:00:20 pm »
He should be closer from the initial ball. That is the mistake. The ball is in the air for an age.
The one Benteke gets his head on? I don't think so; he has to get goal side whilst giving himself enough room to turn and beat Zaha to the clearance if the ball is flicked on towards goal. I think he's about the right distance there. When the ball is then headed towards Zaha, he has to slightly adjust his run to get goal side again (given Zaha's going to get there first). With that in mind, he should then slow down a touch later than he does. Other than that, it's pretty justifiable defending.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #686 on: October 29, 2016, 10:01:37 pm »
His best game for us for a long time.

Well done.

Have to agree.  Think we need an upgrade long term but fair play to the lad tonight.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: October 29, 2016, 10:05:08 pm »
Moreno reminds me of one of those wind up clockwork mice,  you let him go and he goes apeshit round the room finally coming to rest after butting the skirting board.    If only we can channel that energy.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #688 on: October 29, 2016, 10:09:05 pm »
The one Benteke gets his head on? I don't think so; he has to get goal side whilst giving himself enough room to turn and beat Zaha to the clearance if the ball is flicked on towards goal. I think he's about the right distance there. When the ball is then headed towards Zaha, he has to slightly adjust his run to get goal side again (given Zaha's going to get there first). With that in mind, he should then slow down a touch later than he does. Other than that, it's pretty justifiable defending.

You say it yourself the only thing he has to worry about is Zaha.

He doesn't he switches off Zaha pulls out to make space and he allows Zaha a bit too much room. As i say fine margins.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:32 pm »
You say it yourself the only thing he has to worry about is Zaha.

He doesn't he switches off Zaha pulls out to make space and he allows Zaha a bit too much room. As i say fine margins.
Why do you think he allows Zaha that room though?
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: October 29, 2016, 10:21:48 pm »
Something I've noticed in the last couple of games is that Moreno is much less gung ho in his attacking, he's choosing his moments to go forward more carefully so that he doesn't get caught out at the back
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #691 on: October 29, 2016, 10:23:32 pm »
Why do you think he allows Zaha that room though?

Because he isn't rubbernecking.

If we push out the the full backs have to be prepared to come around on the cover if Benteke wins the header but we didn't. Palace didn't overload Moreno so he has to concentrate on Zaha. He has completely lost his man and we have been undone by an early cross.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: October 29, 2016, 10:29:38 pm »
Because he isn't rubbernecking.
Elaborate.

Offline Eleven

• Voted for Trump. Not keen on LGBT rights.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #693 on: October 29, 2016, 10:30:52 pm »
Played well tonight, keep it up Alberto.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #694 on: October 29, 2016, 10:40:32 pm »
He'd make an excellent winger.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #695 on: October 29, 2016, 10:42:33 pm »
Elaborate.

In the modern game the full back role is probably the toughest position in the team. Play like a winger one moment, defend like a full back the next.

For me Moreno's attacking instincts far outweigh his defensive instincts. When the ball is knocked long to Benteke he has to be rubbernecking constantly adjusting his position between the centre backs and Zaha. He doesn't do it.

He isn't defensively minded and if we had won the header then he would of been in a great position to launch counter attack.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: October 31, 2016, 10:49:52 am »
Thought he was excellent going forward on Saturday gives us a better option than Milner attacking wise, Milner is safer and im not sure where else Milner could play in this team, if he could just cut out the glaring errors he would be bang on, i like him but can see why people dont
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #697 on: October 31, 2016, 10:56:04 am »
Not a slate, more of an observation for their second - if he gets a yard or so closer to the crosser, then the angles dead and the lad can't put that cross in. Not blame, just that he needs to mark/position himself a bit more tighter. In the main he had a good game and played well, but there are those slight bits of positional play that can either make or break a good performance to a great performance. Keep working hard lad.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #698 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:53 am »
In the modern game the full back role is probably the toughest position in the team. Play like a winger one moment, defend like a full back the next.

For me Moreno's attacking instincts far outweigh his defensive instincts. When the ball is knocked long to Benteke he has to be rubbernecking constantly adjusting his position between the centre backs and Zaha. He doesn't do it.

He isn't defensively minded and if we had won the header then he would of been in a great position to launch counter attack.
Moreno’s positioning when Benteke wins the header is fine, he’s in the middle of the goal and he’s marking Zaha tightly. The problem is from the moment Benteke wins the header to Zaha controlling the ball Moreno drops off about five yards and doesn’t get close enough to prevent the cross, even turning his back on it.

Moreno has so much pace so he could have got much closer to Zaha quicker, he doesn’t need to drop of five yards. If Zaha tried to knock the ball past him Moreno should be able to keep up with him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #699 on: October 31, 2016, 11:09:05 am »
Thought he was excellent going forward on Saturday gives us a better option than Milner attacking wise, Milner is safer and im not sure where else Milner could play in this team, if he could just cut out the glaring errors he would be bang on, i like him but can see why people dont
I'm with you. He has much to improve on but he has the talent to be a fantastic left back for the way we play. We'll find out if he has the mindset/mental ability by the end of this season I reckon.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #700 on: October 31, 2016, 12:09:55 pm »
I'm with you. He has much to improve on but he has the talent to be a fantastic left back for the way we play. We'll find out if he has the mindset/mental ability by the end of this season I reckon.
Have to agree with this, listen to podcast the other day and someone pointed out he been taking out to be trained like what happened to Origi.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: October 31, 2016, 12:11:42 pm »
Zaha is one of the league's best in one v one situations. Don't blame Moreno at all for allowing him to cross. Rather that than get beaten and let him attack the box. Like the Europa league final.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: October 31, 2016, 12:13:55 pm »
Have to agree with this, listen to podcast the other day and someone pointed out he been taking out to be trained like what happened to Origi.
Frankenstein operation wasn't it?

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #703 on: October 31, 2016, 01:02:38 pm »
Brilliant attacking player. Has a shot in him, and has great technique, if he can buckle down on his defending he could easily be a great player for us.
Seen us win everything

Offline RedmenPhil

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #704 on: October 31, 2016, 01:20:19 pm »
Moreno has potential but if he doesn't cement his position soon enough, i can see flanno comin back or gomez pushing from the bench- if not on the team sheet next year.

Reminds me of Danny Rose of spurs, biggest improved player i've seen in the left back position. Moreno should take note.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #705 on: October 31, 2016, 01:20:59 pm »
Zaha is one of the league's best in one v one situations. Don't blame Moreno at all for allowing him to cross. Rather that than get beaten and let him attack the box. Like the Europa league final.

I'd just have liked him to get closer, he looks all of 3 yards from the ball when Zaha has it to feet and although we're talking a manner of split seconds I think rather than focus on not handballing it if he tries to close the space or narrow the crossing path for Zaha maybe he makes it harder for him to get such a perfect ball in.

Otherwise though I think he's done a fine job since coming back in but Milner will be back v Watford if he's fit I'm sure.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: October 31, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »
Moreno has potential but if he doesn't cement his position soon enough, i can see flanno comin back or gomez pushing from the bench- if not on the team sheet next year.
Neither of those things will happen; we'll just buy a new left back. Gomez's future is at centre back and Flanagan almost certainly doesn't have a future here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:12:53 pm by lankyguy007. »

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: October 31, 2016, 02:06:48 pm »

Reminds me of Danny Rose of spurs, biggest improved player i've seen in the left back position. Moreno should take note.
No offence but in terms of ability on the ball flanno is a shadow of the footballer moreno is.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:16 pm »

If he loses his squad role, it will be to a new LB or another converted winger rather than a defensive player because of the system Klopp wants to play. No offence to Flanno but he isn't even first choice at Burnley this year.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #709 on: October 31, 2016, 02:39:33 pm »
It's also really difficult to time the cross with the runner so well from such a short distance. That's much harder than it looks - well done by CP.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: October 31, 2016, 02:40:53 pm »
On moving Moreno to the wing - why isn't that a reasonable option. The kid can and will press, is pretty fast, is getting better on crossing, and has a cannon of a shot.

It just seems to me that asking him to be responsible defensively while also attacking is a step too far for him - and that's not something to be ashamed about as it seems to happen to quite a few of modern attacking fullbacks.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: October 31, 2016, 02:43:12 pm »
On moving Moreno to the wing - why isn't that a reasonable option.
We don't play with wingers for a start. Thats before we consider the fact that moreno doesn't have the ability to be a winger for us.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: October 31, 2016, 02:48:11 pm »
I just do not get the hands behind defending. It looks awkward and like he is hampering himself. Also please stop turning your back on on the ball being played. In the crazy gang as a team bonding exercise they'd all line up on the goal line whilst someone smashed the ball at them....moreno needs this.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #713 on: October 31, 2016, 03:05:17 pm »
On moving Moreno to the wing - why isn't that a reasonable option. The kid can and will press, is pretty fast, is getting better on crossing, and has a cannon of a shot.

It just seems to me that asking him to be responsible defensively while also attacking is a step too far for him - and that's not something to be ashamed about as it seems to happen to quite a few of modern attacking fullbacks.
As with a lot of attacking full-backs, the reason they look good going forward is because they have wide open areas of space to run into. When you’re a winger that space is more limited so it’s much harder to use your pace (same applies to Markovic but in reverse, he looked better as a wing back than a winger).

Not sure he has a ‘cannon’ of a shot either, he’s struck a couple of decent shots but generally a lot of his shots a pretty wayward and he doesn’t have much composure in front of goal.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #714 on: October 31, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »
If he loses his squad role, it will be to a new LB or another converted winger rather than a defensive player because of the system Klopp wants to play. No offence to Flanno but he isn't even first choice at Burnley this year.

Agree, flanno in football terms was born 16 years to late, he's a 1990's fullback at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #715 on: October 31, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »
Either way it won't be down to lack of effort or desire on his part, klopp said he's been the best player in training for weeks and have no reason to doubt him

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: October 31, 2016, 05:32:26 pm »
Either way it won't be down to lack of effort or desire on his part, klopp said he's been the best player in training for weeks and have no reason to doubt him

Got a source? Out of curiosity

Offline IzeOfAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #718 on: October 31, 2016, 05:48:29 pm »
When Gary Neville talked about failed wingers becoming full backs that's Moreno in a nutshell. However, with that being said he has a role to play on this team. Against the smaller teams I don't think Moreno is as big a liability, and he can make up for lack of defense with his ability going forward, but I'd much prefer to go back to Milner for the bigger games when our backline needs to be more compact.

Got to love the Klopp

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: October 31, 2016, 05:50:49 pm »
Flanno has had pretty much 2 years out and is still getting his fitness back. How about letting him have a run of games before criticising him? And Clyne is hardly attacking and Klopp seems to like him.