Author Topic: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell  (Read 449749 times)

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell
« Reply #880 on: July 31, 2017, 09:56:40 am »
I know I've said it before, but seeing as we're talking about Alberto...

I reckon, give him a go in midfield, a la Mascherano. His passing and control in tight spaces looks pretty good, and who knows, the tightness of space in the middle might actually help his decision-making, as all 5-a-siders who get freaked out by a full-sized pitch will know!

Most of all, we could certainly benefit from his recovery challenges on players who get in behind us - which is undoubtedly the most outstanding feature of his game, in my opinion.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #881 on: July 31, 2017, 10:14:23 am »
There is nothing 'ala Mascherano' that comes to mind when I think of Moreno.
Additionally,  Mascherano moved in the opposite direction, from a midfielder to a defender, and I still think he was wasted in that position.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

• Kopite
« Reply #882 on: July 31, 2017, 10:15:56 am »
There is nothing 'ala Mascherano' that comes to mind when I think of Moreno.
Additionally,  Mascherano moved in the opposite direction, from a midfielder to a defender, and I still think he was wasted in that position.

That's why it's called trying something new, to see if it works! Our manager is not averse to doing that.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #883 on: July 31, 2017, 10:19:55 am »
Kudos on your optimism!
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

• Kopite
« Reply #884 on: July 31, 2017, 10:22:43 am »
Kudos on your optimism!

Not optimism, just a slightly left-field idea I thought I'd through out there - again!

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #885 on: July 31, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »

I reckon, give him a go in midfield, a la Mascherano. His passing and control in tight spaces looks pretty good, and who knows, the tightness of space in the middle might actually help his decision-making, as all 5-a-siders who get freaked out by a full-sized pitch will know!

Most of all, we could certainly benefit from his recovery challenges on players who get in behind us - which is undoubtedly the most outstanding feature of his game, in my opinion.
I very vaguely remember hearing that Pochettino tried out Kyle Walker for a game in center midfield last season. Now I am not sure if true and didn´t see the game to see how effective it was.

It´s an interesting idea because in Brazil football the full backs and volantes are very similar. That is why so many full backs that come out of Brazil also play that role too, and vice versa. The ones who are more quick and agile end up staying as full backs. The ones who are more strong and aggressive end up staying as volantes.

I believe Pep experimented with a tactical shape with only attacking players and a back 4. The two full backs would then tuck into being defensive midfielders in possession leaving the front 6 to do what they like.

Regarding Moreno specifically, I think technically he is good but struggles most tactically which is where Mascherano excels. He is tacically one of the best midfielders ever. It´s why he was Rafa´s captain in many ways. We scored - Rafa calls him over to analyse the game and pass instructions while Gerrard celebrated. Also given that Moreno struggles at fullback which is perhaps the easiest position to play tactically, and that awareness seems a big problem for him, moving him from full back where he needs 180 degrees of awareness to midfield where he needs 360 degrees of awareness would have big problems. Look at someone like Xabi Alonso and his head never stops moving. Nothing happens on a football pitch that he doesn´t see. Moreno never looks around him.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: July 31, 2017, 05:13:30 pm »
I very vaguely remember hearing that Pochettino tried out Kyle Walker for a game in center midfield last season. Now I am not sure if true and didn´t see the game to see how effective it was.

It´s an interesting idea because in Brazil football the full backs and volantes are very similar. That is why so many full backs that come out of Brazil also play that role too, and vice versa. The ones who are more quick and agile end up staying as full backs. The ones who are more strong and aggressive end up staying as volantes.

I believe Pep experimented with a tactical shape with only attacking players and a back 4. The two full backs would then tuck into being defensive midfielders in possession leaving the front 6 to do what they like.

Regarding Moreno specifically, I think technically he is good but struggles most tactically which is where Mascherano excels. He is tacically one of the best midfielders ever. It´s why he was Rafa´s captain in many ways. We scored - Rafa calls him over to analyse the game and pass instructions while Gerrard celebrated. Also given that Moreno struggles at fullback which is perhaps the easiest position to play tactically, and that awareness seems a big problem for him, moving him from full back where he needs 180 degrees of awareness to midfield where he needs 360 degrees of awareness would have big problems. Look at someone like Xabi Alonso and his head never stops moving. Nothing happens on a football pitch that he doesn´t see. Moreno never looks around him.

The most extreme volante I've seen was Lucas in Dalglish's 2-1-7. 2 CBs with Lucas to cover the area to their front and their sides, and to take the ball from them and distribute from there, with the rest of the team pushing forward as option A.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #887 on: July 31, 2017, 05:43:11 pm »
One could have much worse ideas than playing Alberto Moreno as a center forward - He's lightning quick and that's the position where he'd do the least damage to our defence.

Now on to more serious talk, i just don't know where to now for Moreno. He has disappointed too many times at left back and even when he played in a wing-back position (Brendan's 3421) perfect for a guy with his skillset he didn't impress much
The change is cast

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #888 on: August 1, 2017, 07:46:30 am »

Are you genuinely, legitimately, actually serious? That important area of the field is the last place he should be put. He'd be like a bull in a china shop. The club need to get a move on in completing a deal for his exit. I wish him all the best but he has no future here.

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #889 on: August 1, 2017, 03:36:46 pm »

That was actually Tim Sherwood. I'm sure I don't need to say this, but no one should take tactical advice from Tim Sherwood.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #890 on: August 1, 2017, 03:57:04 pm »
That was actually Tim Sherwood. I'm sure I don't need to say this, but no one should take tactical advice from Tim Sherwood.

As I said, hadn´t seen the game but it was last season I heard about it under Poch. After some googling I tracked it down. They played 3-4-3 diamond midfield against Hull. Therefore he is being considered a CM for that game due to his starting position despite the fact his heatmap looks like a wing back, all is touches are on the right, nothing in the middle, etc.

So a very misleading article then.

If Tim Sherwood was doing it, I would suggest he is trying to copy the Brazilian template without having a fucking clue on how to implement it tactically. Which pretty much describes his entire coaching career.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: August 1, 2017, 08:21:49 pm »
The lad is having a good game so far tonight. Doing his job at the back, looks dangerous going forward.

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #892 on: August 1, 2017, 08:22:29 pm »
I wake up to yet another photo of Alberto partying with our Brazilian lads who are becoming an increasingly important part of Klopp's plans.

My main sporting passion is our club but I've got a love of horse racing and sometimes in the UK but particularly in the USA, when there's a really special horse, to calm it down and give it the right psychological run up to a big race, they give them a pony that accompanies them everywhere and particularly to trot up to the starting line with. Seems to work really well too. I like Moreno. He looks like a Scouser and has the passion of one. There's not many times that you don't see our Brazilian lads without him, so I think he's become their pony.

Is it wise to get rid of him? Jokes aside, is there a possibility that this obviously decent footballer can improve his game, especially about what has to occur in that organ in the head?

The pony has played like a stallion.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #893 on: August 1, 2017, 08:23:05 pm »
The lad is having a good game so far tonight. Doing his job at the back, looks dangerous going forward.

Certainly is.. If he played like this more often he would definitely be our first choice left back.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #894 on: August 1, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »

That freekick by Moreno. Didn't know he had that in him.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #895 on: August 1, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »
Its so easy to pounce on a negative, and not many people speak up when there is a positive but I think he has looked decent this pre-season so far. That burst of pace and cross for Salah was wonderful.

Though I will say I dont think he is a Premier League full back.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline canadianscraggledog

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #896 on: August 1, 2017, 08:27:55 pm »
Smashingly good cross for the second goal

Are we wrong and Klopp has decided to use Moreno as a squad player for this year?

He has his dangerous moments and seems a good player to fill out a bench

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]
60% of the time, it works all the time

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: August 1, 2017, 08:28:32 pm »
Think European football suits him more.

Putting himself in the shop window anyway

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #898 on: August 1, 2017, 08:28:33 pm »
He's been ace that half, both sides of the pitch! 

Is it me, or does he look like super fit  and in immense shape? I know he looks after himself, and is a good trainer,  but he just seems like he's slimmer somehow and niftier on his feet.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: August 1, 2017, 08:32:32 pm »
He's definitely had a really good half. I wonder if the change in system has helped? Henderson has been protecting that side and leaving the right to Can, so Alberto doesn't need to rush back and fly into tackles as much.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: August 1, 2017, 09:17:27 pm »
Brilliant tonight

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: August 1, 2017, 09:20:35 pm »
Probably his best performance in a red shirt.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: August 1, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »
Massively encouraging.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: August 1, 2017, 09:23:58 pm »
Was very, very good

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #904 on: August 1, 2017, 09:24:56 pm »
Good display. Should help convince potential suitors.

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #905 on: August 1, 2017, 09:27:15 pm »
A mature performance tonight.
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #906 on: August 1, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »
Klopp gave him a full year to sit and watch and learn to play defense better. Possible it worked? hes still quite young.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Eliit

• Kopite
« Reply #907 on: August 1, 2017, 09:28:59 pm »
Didn't believe he had it in him. Perfect performance, really.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: August 1, 2017, 09:29:26 pm »
Fine display. Very controlled performance both in attack and defensively.

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #909 on: August 1, 2017, 09:29:44 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #910 on: August 1, 2017, 09:30:26 pm »
Albee was impressive tonight both in defence and attack.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #911 on: August 1, 2017, 09:30:40 pm »
Looked a different player.

If he was playing like that tomorrow for Atletico we would be after him. What a conundrum.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: August 1, 2017, 09:31:40 pm »
Albee was impressive tonight both in defence and attack.

Absolutely. Even the commentators were giving him credit, which never seems to happen.

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #913 on: August 1, 2017, 09:33:15 pm »
Very very encouraging

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: August 1, 2017, 09:35:44 pm »
When he plays with a mature head he can put in a performance....he dives in too often (not tonight he played well)....if he can stop that rush of blood he can do a job.

If we get an offer close to the £20m mark I expect he will go....but until that I fully expect Klopp can use him (even on the wing late on in games).

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: August 1, 2017, 09:45:03 pm »
With Mane ahead of him, teams have to be careful not to overload on the right as he'll be right behind them ready to counter. Maybe what Moreno needs is, not protection in the form of a defensive player ahead of him, but a very offensive player like Mane instead.

Played really well and I for one was made up for him.

With our chase for Keita looking unlikely, what about Moreno/Robertson for LB, with Milner as the rotational CM who helps out at left back if needed?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: August 1, 2017, 09:47:40 pm »
He reminded me when he was at Sevilla. Was very good today
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #917 on: August 1, 2017, 09:48:11 pm »
Does Moreno have future at Anfield? Klopp: “If he plays like he did today, yes. It was a really good game by Alberto."

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #918 on: August 1, 2017, 09:49:14 pm »
Klopp gave him a full year to sit and watch and learn to play defense better. Possible it worked? hes still quite young.
In terms of pure ability and attributes he has way more than Robertson but but but

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #919 on: August 1, 2017, 09:49:53 pm »
He's a really good attacking full back. Someone will get a bargain this summer