Author Topic: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell  (Read 449552 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Alberto Moreno: Ghost in the Shell
« Reply #840 on: July 24, 2017, 03:05:14 pm »
Two league starts last season and people think he's got a future here? I can't see it.

But where are the bids and why is he playing lately?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #841 on: July 24, 2017, 03:12:29 pm »

No one is getting 90 mins a game yet, plenty of game time for most of 'em.

Moreno hasn't ever caused any bother, he's a good trainer, the coaches genuinley seem to like the lad. There isn't a reason why he wouldn't be involved.

Stewart was playing too this pre-season, he didn't have much of a future here.

The bids part - who knows, there was interest from Napoli apparently? There isnt exactly a lot of news coming out of the club regards interest for him or Sakho either though. Tough market maybe!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: July 24, 2017, 05:02:53 pm »

Robertson didn't sign in time to make the Asia trophy squad.

On sales, I think we've toughened up a little. Rather than take the first offer that comes in, we seem to be confident as the window progresses that some club somewhere will realise they're short a LB and meet our asking price.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #843 on: July 24, 2017, 05:07:08 pm »
You are critical of supporters being optimistic and wanting potential to be realised? Who invited a killjoy to the party. :)

Are you going to visit the Sakho, Markovic and Flanagan threads too? :)

It's one thing wanting a player to realise their potential, it's another to think he has a future here despite significant evidence on the contrary.

Would also dispute the idea that Moreno has potential that would be good enough even if he did realise it here.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #844 on: July 24, 2017, 05:53:20 pm »
It's one thing wanting a player to realise their potential, it's another to think he has a future here despite significant evidence on the contrary.

Would also dispute the idea that Moreno has potential that would be good enough even if he did realise it here.

There is very little wrong with Moreno. It´s just that the few problems he has are a massive massive problem to any team he plays on and he seems incapable of adjusting his game to negate these problems or improving these weaknesses through coaching.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #845 on: July 24, 2017, 06:17:37 pm »
There is very little wrong with Moreno. It´s just that the few problems he has are a massive massive problem to any team he plays on and he seems incapable of adjusting his game to negate these problems or improving these weaknesses through coaching.
What do you think about Moreno as a wingback in a 3-5-2/3-4-3? Fouls would still be an issue but dribbled past wouldn't be as much of a problem, and he'd be further away from our goal. From the reception Alonso, Moses, Walker and Rose have received this season, it feels to me like people have very low expectations from wingbacks and anything they actually do is massively credited especially in attack. If you want to press high as a team and win the ball, surely Moreno's high volume of tackles would be seen as a positive for a wingback?   

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #846 on: July 24, 2017, 06:23:51 pm »
What do you think about Moreno as a wingback in a 3-5-2/3-4-3? Fouls would still be an issue but dribbled past wouldn't be as much of a problem, and he'd be further away from our goal. From the reception Alonso, Moses, Walker and Rose have received this season, it feels to me like people have very low expectations from wingbacks and anything they actually do is massively credited especially in attack. If you want to press high as a team and win the ball, surely Moreno's high volume of tackles would be seen as a positive for a wingback?

I think he would be far better in a wingback as he doesn´t need to worry about who is in front of him and has a LOT of space to run into plus he knows there will be someone protecting in behind him, which seems a big problem for him. He goes forward very early in the transition which is great as it adds an outlet on the counter but if play breaks down in the transition phase we are exposed.

However, a wing back system doesn´t suit how Klopp would like to play so I doubt it´s something we would see here. There is very little difference between our front three and Chelsea´s. They are pretty much as narrow as each other. The problem is Klopp wouldn´t sacrifice a central midfielder for another center back as Conte has, except for specific threats. Therefore it becomes a moot point.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #847 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:19 am »
You are critical of supporters being optimistic and wanting potential to be realised? Who invited a killjoy to the party. :)

Are you going to visit the Sakho, Markovic and Flanagan threads too? :)

If people want to insist they have a future then yeah (but I can't say I'm seeing that this summer with Sakho and Markovic as the penny finally appears to have dropped). The manager clearly doesn't rate any of them as good enough for Liverpool and neither do I fwiw.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:10:16 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:46 am »
Moreno has pace, strength, technical ability. In fact physically he has pretty much everything needed to be a top fullback apart from one thing that you can't teach. A football brain. Really is clueless sometimes which is a shame because everything else is there. He makes Enrique look like a footballing genius.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #849 on: July 26, 2017, 11:20:22 am »
Moreno has pace, strength, technical ability. In fact physically he has pretty much everything needed to be a top fullback apart from one thing that you can't teach.

Physically he probably lacks about 6".

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: July 26, 2017, 11:45:01 am »

Well yeah he could be taller. But he's really strong.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #851 on: July 26, 2017, 12:13:33 pm »
Well yeah he could be taller. But he's really strong.

I personally think that low center of gravity gives him an advantage to deal with the players of similar build that he faces. Generally speaking, the taller & heavier a player is, the lower their agility and acceleration will be. Of course each players body is different so I am sure there are some tall agile players. But there is definitely a correlation there. Do you think there could ever be a player who plays like Messi in Akinfenwa´s body? It looks physiologically impossible.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #852 on: July 26, 2017, 01:24:02 pm »

That's what she said
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #853 on: July 27, 2017, 03:23:06 am »

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: July 27, 2017, 08:02:30 am »

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: July 27, 2017, 08:27:39 am »
Keep Moreno, use him a emergency winger/third-choice left-back/second-half substitute to bring energy on the wing in certain matches. We could do with lot worse. Question is, will he be happy to serve such a role, are his wages worth keeping him in such a role. Plus, Klopp seems to not have a high opinion of him.
One crucial point in his favour - Coutinho likes having him around, now how do you figure.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: July 27, 2017, 11:04:56 am »
Keep Moreno, use him a emergency winger/third-choice left-back/second-half substitute to bring energy on the wing in certain matches. We could do with lot worse. Question is, will he be happy to serve such a role, are his wages worth keeping him in such a role. Plus, Klopp seems to not have a high opinion of him.
One crucial point in his favour - Coutinho likes having him around, now how do you figure.

I was very surprised he wasn't used more in this capacity last season, especially given how fucked Coutinho and Firmino looked at certain times. Playing higher up the pitch he would be relatively low risk if he has a brain-fart, and he certainly puts himself about making a lot of tackles and interceptions and he has recovery speed and can use his speed on the break (assuming we are leading and have retreated somewhat). In fact, lack of subs, in general, is my biggest mystery with Klopp - I just don't get his reluctance to use his bench. There must be a reason for it.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #857 on: July 27, 2017, 11:09:18 am »
Surely if we are wanting someone to bring on to give new energy on the wings we have to be looking at Kent & Wilson etc They will benefit most from those minutes on the pitch. It´s why I am reluctant to have depth for depths sake. You end up in situations where those moments you could have risk-free looks at the youths you are giving minutes to seniors just to keep them match sharp and involved.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: July 27, 2017, 11:18:30 am »
Surely if we are wanting someone to bring on to give new energy on the wings we have to be looking at Kent & Wilson etc They will benefit most from those minutes on the pitch. It´s why I am reluctant to have depth for depths sake. You end up in situations where those moments you could have risk-free looks at the youths you are giving minutes to seniors just to keep them match sharp and involved.

I agree to an extent. Would love to see the youngsters coming on around the 60min mark when we're 3-0 at home to Watford, etc. But protecting a lead away at City with Coutinho looking like he's about to fall over after just putting in the match of his life and I would be inclined to view Moreno as the perfect option off the bench.

That said, given he'll be on 1st team wages and he still retains some value I can understand letting him go and having a more compact/focused squad.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #859 on: July 27, 2017, 11:21:28 am »

Spot on. There's absolutely no point in keeping players like Moreno, Markovic etc as "low risk" squad options. Their wages and transfer value should be reinvested into the playing squad, be it new players or increasing the wages/length of contract of those we do deem good enough.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: July 27, 2017, 11:34:47 am »
I agree that we better use Kent especially if we need subs for energy. But, maybe if we need experience and energy then Moreno would be suitable, but again his experience is not valued by Klopp.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #861 on: July 27, 2017, 11:43:38 am »
Fuck knows where i heard or read it from but is there any truth in Moreno's possible exit influencing Phil's decision?
Probably a load of shite but if there is a hint of truth in it we should be giving Moreno a new contract.  :D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #862 on: July 27, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »
Fuck knows where i heard or read it from but is there any truth in Moreno's possible exit influencing Phil's decision?
Probably a load of shite but if there is a hint of truth in it we should be giving Moreno a new contract.  :D

Well it certainly wont help Phil. Lucas has already left and Moreno's future is very uncertain. Our South American and Spanish contingent seem very close (as you would expect), and I cant help thinking that 2 of the group leaving will have a negative impact. Moreno seems like a boss lad, he hasn't kicked up a fuss, he busts a gut when he does get a chance and obviously Phil and Bobby love having him around.

I don't know. I cant see it being the deciding factor by any means but it wont help Phil if two of his closest friends in the club leave in the same summer.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #863 on: July 27, 2017, 04:41:05 pm »
We could do with lot worse.
No we couldn't.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #864 on: July 27, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »
I agree to an extent. Would love to see the youngsters coming on around the 60min mark when we're 3-0 at home to Watford, etc. But protecting a lead away at City with Coutinho looking like he's about to fall over after just putting in the match of his life and I would be inclined to view Moreno as the perfect option off the bench.

That said, given he'll be on 1st team wages and he still retains some value I can understand letting him go and having a more compact/focused squad.

In those situations, you could just stack Milner in front of Robertson (or vice versa). Or TAA in front of Clyne. If you are worried about a particularly fast player, put Gini on him. He´ll do nothing down that flank all game.

Offline Chrismonster

• Anny Roader
  • Thou shall not wear socks with FlipFlops.
« Reply #865 on: July 27, 2017, 06:17:09 pm »
For some reason I still haven't given up hope on him yet. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be much of a loss( if last seasons contribution is anything to go by) if he was to leave us. I guess I'm just hoping he's a late developer with regard to the tactical side of his game, because technically and physically, he's got more than enough ability to become an excellent player.

Just out of interest, Has Klopp given the press any indication about his LFC future yet?       

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: July 27, 2017, 07:00:03 pm »
In those situations, you could just stack Milner in front of Robertson (or vice versa). Or TAA in front of Clyne. If you are worried about a particularly fast player, put Gini on him. He´ll do nothing down that flank all game.

I've never understood the shouts for Moreno as LW myself.  Anyway if he stays I can't see him making the bench most games.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: July 27, 2017, 07:10:40 pm »
I was very surprised he wasn't used more in this capacity last season, especially given how fucked Coutinho and Firmino looked at certain times. Playing higher up the pitch he would be relatively low risk if he has a brain-fart, and he certainly puts himself about making a lot of tackles and interceptions and he has recovery speed and can use his speed on the break (assuming we are leading and have retreated somewhat). In fact, lack of subs, in general, is my biggest mystery with Klopp - I just don't get his reluctance to use his bench. There must be a reason for it.
Why would a club like Liverpool play players on the basis of what they can't screw up? We want players who add to our team, not ones who merely don't take away anything.

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #868 on: July 27, 2017, 08:00:05 pm »
Would love to see him given a shot on the wings.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:11 pm »
Would love to see him given a shot on the wings.
Why? You need a football brain to play out there as well and there seems to be a general consensus amongst Reds that that is his fundamental flaw.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: July 27, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »
Why would a club like Liverpool play players on the basis of what they can't screw up? We want players who add to our team, not ones who merely don't take away anything.

It says it in literally the next sentence - "he certainly puts himself about making a lot of tackles and interceptions and he has recovery speed and can use his speed on the break".

All players make mistakes, it's about managing their impact. He's a very good fullback who is prone to some very poor decisions. Doesn't make him completely unusable.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: July 27, 2017, 11:06:33 pm »
Milner will be playing left back this season so it is 3 left backs.  Moreno won't make the bench most of the time if he stays

Yes, we all assumed that, but it seems that Klopp has other ideas.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: July 28, 2017, 02:36:28 pm »
Why's that then?

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #873 on: July 28, 2017, 02:53:56 pm »
I thought we already sold him months ago, that's how far in the back of my mind I want to think of him.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: July 30, 2017, 11:04:01 pm »
Not really in the spirit of the thread title here but this just reminded me of how absurd he's been at times.

https://vimeo.com/226959141

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:09 pm »

What because he's getting games in pre season whilst Milners injured?

Offline Oside Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #876 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:08 am »
Not really in the spirit of the thread title here but this just reminded me of how absurd he's been at times.

I'd blocked out some of those moments.  Brutal.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #877 on: July 31, 2017, 03:01:02 am »
Physically he has it all, lacks game intelligence something chronic.Doesnt seemed to have improved that side of his game at all, no doubt Klopp and co would been trying.If he can get that correct, when to run, tackle, hold back, NOT lunge in, he'd have all the ingredients to be a great fullback, just not going to be happening here.Anyone know what wages he's on?Perhaps he'll refuse tomleave, if he's on good coin!?!? He seems to really get along with some of the lads off the pitch and maybe doesn't fancy a big pay cut , even at the expense of first team football.if that's the case maybe he'll be here another season.If he could just improve his decision making....

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: July 31, 2017, 07:33:19 am »
Physically he has it all, lacks game intelligence something chronic.Doesnt seemed to have improved that side of his game at all, no doubt Klopp and co would been trying.If he can get that correct, when to run, tackle, hold back, NOT lunge in, he'd have all the ingredients to be a great fullback, just not going to be happening here.Anyone know what wages he's on?Perhaps he'll refuse tomleave, if he's on good coin!?!? He seems to really get along with some of the lads off the pitch and maybe doesn't fancy a big pay cut , even at the expense of first team football.if that's the case maybe he'll be here another season.If he could just improve his decision making....

Isn't he too young to be thinking about Money.. His best footballing years are hopefully ahead of him.. just not here..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: July 31, 2017, 09:23:47 am »

Yeah, he is not a defender. Would probably do well as a wing back.